PDA

View Full Version : Hey ya'll

AlreadyGone95
05-18-2015, 01:17 PM
*please read the title in a (American) southern accent. *

Hello everyone. I'm Kim. As you can probably tell from the title of my thread, I'm from the American south, Georgia to be specific. I'm probably fairly young compared to most here. (I'll be 20 in September. The 95 in my username refers to my birth year). I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with my life. (College and the like).
As for the Eagles, my parents were (one still is) late baby boomers. They were teenagers in the 70s. Until I was a teenager, their music was the only music I knew. Even though I have developed my own tastes in some ways(I love heavy metal and its subgenres), I still love my parents' music. To me, there's nothing better than the sound of the rock music from 1968-1977 (the bulk of my music tastes are from around that time frame ). Glenn Frey is my favorite Eagle (his nickname as the teen king still stands :hilarious:), but I love all 7 Eagles.

As I said above, I love music. I collect cds, records, and cassettes. I have about 500 cds, 250 records, and 70 cassettes. Different Eagles related albums are scattered throughout the collection. I've been through some personal tragedies, abuse and other not so nice stuff, and music got me through it. That's where my avatar comes from.

As for other things about me, I love sports, particularly baseball and football. I'm somewhat of an avid reader. When I get into a good book, I can't put it down. I have a mild form of Cerebral Palsy (physical disability), but luckily, ot doesn't hinder my life much. My nickname is motormouth because of my adhd.

So yeah, that's all I can think of. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. :). I look forward to talking about one of my favorite bands.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Welcome, AG95! Hope you like here!

WalshFan88
05-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Welcome!

DJ
05-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Welcome AG95 Enjoy

"Leave Me Be I'm Just Walkin' This Line....Out On The Border"

AlreadyGone95
05-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! :grin:

Is there a thread for fan art of the band?

Witchy Woman
05-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Welcome, AG95 !!

Brooke
05-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Welcome to The Border!

AlreadyGone95
05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Thanks again for the welcomes. I'm already starting to feel at home here! :)

UndertheWire
05-29-2015, 04:29 AM
A belated welcome from me. I was going to ask how you heard of the Eagles but I think you answered that above. So instead I'll ask what prompted this current intense interest in the band? I'd assumed it was the documentary but if you've only just seen it, that can't be why.

AlreadyGone95
05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
A belated welcome from me. I was going to ask how you heard of the Eagles but I think you answered that above. So instead I'll ask what prompted this current intense interest in the band? I'd assumed it was the documentary but if you've only just seen it, that can't be why.

Thanks for the welcome UTW!

Well, for this to make sense, you have to know something. Even though I loved the band's music, I'd never seen a picture of them (at least one that wasn't the Desperado cover). I vaguely knew about Don H, and I knew a bit more about Glenn Frey(ie: the song Smuggler's Blues ), but apart from that I knew nothing else. I just loved the music. Heck, I thought that Don Henley did all of the singing :hilarious:.

Then, about 6-8 weeks ago, I was at my uncle's house. He was using youtube to try and stump me on songs. He'd play the song, but then he'd cover up the screen until I got it right. About the 5th round of this, he played the Boys of Summer video. I knew the song, but forgot who sang it. He uncovered the screen and there was Don! My reaction "That's Don Henley?!" :shock: Not a bad looking man!
Anyway, I had Boys of Summer stuck in my head for days. Around the time that I managed to get that song out of my head, I had the Eagles live on vinyl that I had just gotten and I was looking at it when a poster fell out (I didn't know that there was one inside ) who's face popped up, but Glenn Frey's! I looked at him (Long Run era) and was like: :shock:... :drool: ... At that time, I was waiting for 2 records to come in: Hotel California and the Long Run.
Then I remembered the Smuggler's Blues song. I used my smartphone and found the video for it. When I saw Glenn with that stubble, I was like :smitten: :faint:. I was hooked!
Then, for about two weeks, I poured into research about Glenn and Eagles. I found out that Glenn was a singer as well in the band. He sang my favorite Eagles song, Outlaw Man and my namesake, Already Gone, which is probably my 3rd favorite Eagles song. I found out that Joe Walsh was a member :shock:. I've known the lyrics to Life's Been Good since I was 8 or so!
The straw that broke the camel's back was seeing Glenn on Miami Vice. My uncle I watched part of it together online, and when I say Jimmy: :faint:... that was it. I was now completely hooked, and possibly obsessed... and well, a month later, here I am :D.

BTW, the poster that really started this all is now above my bed, directly over my head as I typed this!

Jonny Come Lately
05-29-2015, 12:10 PM
A belated welcome from me too, this is a pretty great place to talk about all things Eagles.

From reading your first post I agree with your statement about late 60s and 1970s rock music. For me the golden era is probably from 1965 - the release of Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and Like A Rolling Stone - through to 1979/80 (a lot of my personal favourite bands released albums in 1979 but several of them broke up shortly after, or went into decline).

May I ask if you have a particular favourite Eagles album? And what are your other favourite bands/artists or albums?

AlreadyGone95
05-29-2015, 12:22 PM
A belated welcome from me too, this is a pretty great place to talk about all things Eagles.

From reading your first post I agree with your statement about late 60s and 1970s rock music. For me the golden era is probably from 1965 - the release of Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and Like A Rolling Stone - through to 1979/80 (a lot of my personal favourite bands released albums in 1979 but several of them broke up shortly after, or went into decline).

May I ask if you have a particular favourite Eagles album? And what are your other favourite bands/artists or albums?

Favorite Eagles aibum? That's tough. I love all of their albums very much, but Hotel California or One of these Nights is my favorite.

Here's a list of my favorite bands:
Bad Company
Fleetwood Mac
Free
Eagles
Def Leppard
Anything Stephen Stills has done
Iron Maiden
Styx
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Ac/dc
Anything of Eric Clapton's
Black Sabbath

Ive always been a dreamer
05-31-2015, 01:03 PM
Welcome from me as well, AG95. Hanging out on The Border is a good place to be if you want to talk about the Eagles. Enjoy!

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Welcome from me as well, AG95. Hanging out on The Border is a good place to be if you want to talk about the Eagles. Enjoy!

Thanks Dreamer! I've been enjoying myself so far! :) :D

NightMistBlue
06-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Welcome, Kim! :) Be sure to check out the Eagles on the Road forum - you'll find a thread with two unreleased songs by our guys, one of which is called "Georgia Peach." That could be your theme song. No one has been able to figure out the lyrics though, cause the sound is so bad. If any of us ever has the chance to meet Bernie, we ought to ask him about it :)

P.S. Kim, it gives me hope for the future when a young whippersnapper such as yourself lists "anything Stephen Stills has done" among her favorite music.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Welcome, Kim! :) Be sure to check out the Eagles on the Road forum - you'll find a thread with two unreleased songs by our guys, one of which is called "Georgia Peach." That could be your theme song. No one has been able to figure out the lyrics though, cause the sound is so bad. If any of us ever has the chance to meet Bernie, we ought to ask him about it :)

P.S. Kim, it gives me hope for the future when a young whippersnapper such as yourself lists "anything Stephen Stills has done" among her favorite music.

Thanks NMB! I've got to hear the audio to that song, regardless of how poor the quality is. :)

Stephen's music has been in my life a little bit longer than the Eagles'. I canremember hearing For What Its Worth by Buffalo Springfield at the age of 6 and loving the guitar sound. When I became a teenager, I began to love the lyrics to that song and I statted looking up Stephen's other work. I discovered CSN/Y, Manassas and his solo work and I love 90% of it! The lyric "She is all that I have left and music is her name" from Southern Cross describes my teenage years. Music was my only friend, and that lyric really touches home to me.

NightMistBlue
06-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Yes, Southern Cross is brilliant. It's said that Stephen wrote that during his first divorce. He was so broken down, he went sailing and got as far away from everything as he could.

I'm now learning about Stills' work with Buffalo Springfield (aside from "For What's It Worth" - that was the only song I knew from the band for decades!). There's a song he did called "Bluebird" that's just brilliant.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Here's a very cool demo recording of Southern Cross: https://youtu.be/kDoZ3z0ET6Y
Bluebird is a great song! For What Its Worth, Bluebird and Broken A4row are probably my top 3 Buffalo Springfield songs.

NightMistBlue
06-01-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm dying to hear the song "Seven League Boots" by the Curtis Brothers that Stephen modeled this on, but I can't find it anywhere. Have you heard it, Kim? Maybe Sodascouts has - she's a Fleetwood Mac gal, and Buckingham/Nicks recorded with the Curtis Bros.

From Wikipedia: Southern Cross is based on the song "Seven League Boots" by Rick and Michael Curtis. Stills explained, "The Curtis Brothers brought a wonderful song called 'Seven League Boots,' but it drifted around too much. I rewrote a new set of words and added a different chorus, a story about a long boat trip I took after my divorce (his first wife, singer-songwriter Véronique Sanson). It's about using the power of the universe to heal your wounds. Once again, I was given somebody's gem and cut and polished it."

P.S. "For What It's Worth" is supposedly a rewrite of the Moby Grape song, "Murder in My Heart for the Judge."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEbbyKJ0mk

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 12:46 PM
It was on youtube a few years ago. I remember listening to it after watching a live video of Southern Cross. I liked it, though not as much as Southern Cross. I can't find it now, though. :shrug:
I knew that he took some of the song and used it for the basis of Southern Cross.

I didn't know that Buckingham Nicks recorded with them. I consider myself a pretty big Mac fan as well. I should have the Buckingham Nicks album on vinyl next month.

I can hear some similarities between the Moby Grape song and For What Its Worth.

NightMistBlue
06-01-2015, 04:42 PM
"Blue Letter" (from the first Mac album with Stevie and Lindsey) is a Curtis Brothers song. Apparently there's a demo floating around of "Seven League Boots" with Ms. Nicks singing lead.
http://www.quora.com/Who-are-Michael-Curtis-and-Richard-Curtis-and-how-did-their-song-Blue-Letter-come-to-be-included-in-Fleetwood-Macs-1975-self-titled-album

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 04:59 PM
"Blue Letter" (from the first Mac album with Stevie and Lindsey) is a Curtis Brothers song. Apparently there's a demo floating around of "Seven League Boots" with Ms. Nicks singing lead.
http://www.quora.com/Who-are-Michael-Curtis-and-Richard-Curtis-and-how-did-their-song-Blue-Letter-come-to-be-included-in-Fleetwood-Macs-1975-self-titled-album

I've heard Fleetwood Mac doing Blue Letter on youtube (live in 1975). I think that the live versions are better than the studio
Video: https://youtu.be/7DKlOD9Qs_k
Audio only (love the picsof the guys) https://youtu.be/w_A0gVn9IY8

That would be a cool demo to hear!

NightMistBlue
06-02-2015, 11:12 AM
Shoot, who knew that Lindsey could play Chuck Berry-style riffs? :) That was neat, thank you.

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Shoot, who knew that Lindsey could play Chuck Berry-style riffs? :) That was neat, thank you.

You're very welcome :)

cynd1231
06-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Favorite Eagles aibum? That's tough. I love all of their albums very much, but Hotel California or One of these Nights is my favorite.

Here's a list of my favorite bands:
Bad Company
Fleetwood Mac
Free
Eagles
Def Leppard
Anything Stephen Stills has done
Iron Maiden
Styx
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Ac/dc
Anything of Eric Clapton's
Black Sabbath

Welcome to The Border, AG. From your list I would say you are something of an old soul in a young body! You're going to learn a great deal here and makes truly wonderful friends. So glad you've joined us. By the way, where in Georgia?

AlreadyGone95
06-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Welcome to The Border, AG. From your list I would say you are something of an old soul in a young body! You're going to learn a great deal here and makes truly wonderful friends. So glad you've joined us. By the way, where in Georgia?

Thanks Cynd :). I feel much older than I actually am. I've made a joke of saying "I'm 19... going on 40 or 50". As I've said in other threads, I enjoy being here. :)

I'm from a very small town in southwest Georgia named Leary.(pop 600). My dad's family has been here since it was founded back in 1870. It's about 25 miles southwest of Albany, Georgia or 75 miles northwest of Tallahassee, Florida.