PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite moments from the HOTE tour?

flojo
05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
Hello all, sorry if there's already a thread like this. I just thought it would be good for people to share their favourite moments or memorable things from this tour.
I was doing some work today with the Eagles on in the background and reminiscing about some of the crazy happenings of the vacations we've had using this tour as an excuse :)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Will need to think about this and respond later!!

flojo
05-19-2015, 04:08 PM
I'll start it off then!

1. Well it's obvious isn't it? Glenn Frey meeting us for a drink in Dublin. (I should include meeting him in Boston at the elevator, him acknowledging us in MSG and Brisbane and sending me some picks in Glasgow as well here or I'll just go on and on and annoy the hell out of everyone :))

2. When Timothy Schmit says his bit about when it 'all fell apart'; at most of the shows people laugh and he says 'it isn't funny'. In Glasgow he said it and everyone just went 'awwww' and he didn't know what to do. Glenn burst out laughing.

3. Looking back at the crowd singing in Dublin and Glasgow. Those two and MSG were the loudest I've witnessed. It was something else. It sounds cheesy but there's something so moving about it when everyone's singing along watching such a special band on stage.

4. The guy behind us in Glasgow who thought he was Randy Meisner and was belting out the high notes in TITTL (which even got a smirk out of Don Henley).

5. Meeting some great new people, especially Zanny and her husband who we'll be meeting up with again soon in Hartford. There's too many to mention in one post so if I haven't mentioned you here - apologies.
Zanny I'll never forget the 'Mr Redford' moment, it still makes me laugh :hilarious:

6. The 'Love will keep us awake' joke in Australia.

7. The standing sections in Dublin and Amsterdam, it was such a relief not to have to sit down.

I know I've missed a lot, I'll probably edit this as I remember. I hope it makes everyone else as happy remembering and sharing their best bits :)

thelastresort
05-19-2015, 04:37 PM
In terms of the actual concert:
- I love the structure of the first four songs. You really do get a feel for what it was like back in 1971, the amount of detail is just correct without being too brief or superfluous. I love the choice of Saturday Night as the opener, and the reworked version of PEF is probably better than when it's a full set-up performance.
- Doolin-Dalton and Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise are my favourite additions to the setlist, I'm so glad the album got recognition at last, all too often it was forgotten for what I think are lesser songs from other albums, or pretty average solo songs. I also love the background videos that accompany them, especially for Tequila Sunrise. I'm just sad the ending of the latter is abridged. :(
- The working from the OTB video to the opening chords of Already Gone is very clever.
- Best of My Love. I never was enamoured to this song before I saw it live, now I love it. So glad it's been revived after what has been a fairly odd history - their first number one and a great demonstration of their vocal ability, but never held down a setlist place, even back in the mid-70s. Also love the sound Smith gets out of just a standard electric in lieu of steel pedal, fits perfectly.
- Having PMAIAR as the first song back is very well placed, give Joe a nice intro and obviously the first few lines work well!
- Those Shoes. Much like BOML, never cared for it until seeing it live. The dual talkbox is very impressive.
- Band intros - I love the extended version to include everyone. The ones on F1 feel half-baked so it's good to see it improved.

sodascouts
05-19-2015, 04:45 PM
I was lucky enough to be at opening night. Seeing Bernie Leadon come out on stage with them for the first time since the mid-70s... Wow. Incredible.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2015, 08:03 PM
First show in DC - Like Soda, since this was my first HOTE show, seeing Bernie walk out made me very teary eyed. At the very end when they were getting ready to walk across the stage, Glenn turned and gave me the sweetest smile! Also, I met the wonderful ladies from Austria.

Seattle - I can't really pick out any one thing, but overall, it was the best concert I've ever seen. Besides being pitch perfect and instrumentally perfect, the guys interacted more with each other than they did in the first tour leg (that I saw).

Raleigh - Maybe because I don't remember a whole lot from this concert, I really remember this, and it was funny. It's impossible for me to say what happened and have it be as funny as it was in person. I wrote it in my review for the show, but when Don first speaks, he talks about how the setup for the first few songs are intended to show us what it was like back in 1971. He paused the merest moment and a lady in the center section, about seven rows back shouts out "Got any quaaludes?" Everyone who heard her laughed, and the look on Don's face was priceless. He didn't know if he should acknowledge it, and he looked like he was trying not to laugh. It made a funny moment even funnier.

Vegas (Oct. 2014) - DD/D Reprise was even more awesome than usual. I will never get enough of hearing this song live.

Many of the concerts were made extra special because I got to be with so many of my friends here on The Border. Quite a few were in cities I've never been to before, and cities I probably otherwise would have never gone to.

If I could pick any of them and time travel back to watch again, it would be the Seattle show but each of them had their special moments that I'll remember forever!

Tori
05-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Oh goodness, okay, here we go! I had a lot of favorite little things...

-The fact that the Milwaukee date was only the second date on the entire tour was pretty special to me!
-Hearing the songs I'd never heard live before, like Saturday Night, Train, and ESPECIALLY Pretty Maids. The Doolin-Dalton/Desperado reprise was also a favorite of mine.
-Bernie. Just the fact that we all get to see Bernie with the guys is so great.
-The video that played during Already Gone. Glenn's so silly and adorable in that!
-Don saying "Can I get a Ya Der Hey?" before The Long Run. Too cute.
-More of a general concert thing, but it remains one of my favorite concert moments of all time when Joe is singing RMW and goes "Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat, playin' it play by play- YOU SING IT!" And the entire crowd screams "TIME TO CHANGE THE BATTER!"
-Those Shoes. Just... Those Shoes. Ughhhh, yes.

thelastresort
05-19-2015, 08:43 PM
-More of a general concert thing, but it remains one of my favorite concert moments of all time when Joe is singing RMW and goes "Bases are loaded and Casey's at bat, playin' it play by play- YOU SING IT!" And the entire crowd screams "TIME TO CHANGE THE BATTER!"

He tried that in Liverpool. I literally think about five people responded (including me) :lol: I think he probably misjudged the crowd, it's not really that well-known on this side of the Atlantic.

WalshFan88
05-19-2015, 09:28 PM
The addition of Already Gone and Those Shoes was my favorite thing.

Already Gone, is right next to HC for the best songs they've ever done.

Those Shoes is criminally underrated and the dual talkbox is killer.

Other things were that they kept Life's Been Good IN the setlist. :hilarious: Also just a good show. I could have done with more songs like Victim of Love and such but all in all a good show.

I have to say the opening was a bit odd for me as I'm not that connected to that era of the band, but sitting on the cases had a casual vibe to it I dug.

MaryCalifornia
05-20-2015, 12:45 AM
In LA, Timothy gave me his pick, and Glenns' son Otis kept having me help him find his friends, he thought they were next to me but were one section over.

In San Diego, the lady in front of me waved at Timothy when he came out, and he quietly sat down he gave her a very slow nod right as he started strumming PEF and our entire section saw it and was like, "AHHHHH!" It was seriously the most cool, rock star-dude move ever.

I had the exact same seat for both shows and will get it again if I go again! Row 5 on TBS' side, inside aisle seat. Nobody in front of me. I'm short.

DD/DR. PMAIAR. Those Shoes.

I want to meet some of my Border friends at a show.

MaryCalifornia
05-20-2015, 12:56 AM
6. The 'Love will keep us awake' joke in Australia.

Thanks for starting this thread, Flojo, I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.

Does anyone else get the sense that Don and Glenn don't feel, ummm, a total connection to this song? Not just because of Glenn's joke, but from their demeanor on other videos, too? I feel like they needed a song for Tim to sing on HFO, so they went with this one that he'd been working on for a few years, and it turned out to be a surprise hit, and now he still sings it so he has 2 songs, but, It just seems like they don't really take it seriously. I don't blame them, it doesn't really seem like an Eagles song. The whole band clearly enjoys playing ICTYW, but this one is more like, OK,Timothy, you go sing your song. Not a criticism, just an observation.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Sometimes I feel like that's the case, MC, and sometimes I feel they are more engaged with it. I think it adds variety to the set, besides getting to hear a second lead from Timothy, as far as pace. Not everyone likes the slowness of it, but it does help set up the faster songs later.

Since they want to pretend that LROOE never happened with this setlist, I'm just glad they have a song from HFO.

thelastresort
05-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Does anyone else get the sense that Don and Glenn don't feel, ummm, a total connection to this song? Not just because of Glenn's joke, but from their demeanor on other videos, too? I feel like they needed a song for Tim to sing on HFO, so they went with this one that he'd been working on for a few years, and it turned out to be a surprise hit, and now he still sings it so he has 2 songs, but, It just seems like they don't really take it seriously. I don't blame them, it doesn't really seem like an Eagles song. The whole band clearly enjoys playing ICTYW, but this one is more like, OK,Timothy, you go sing your song. Not a criticism, just an observation.

I think if it was a Don or Glenn lead it would have vanished from the setlist very quickly, put it that way.

sodascouts
05-20-2015, 08:04 PM
One of the highlights of these shows for me - and this is not just one particular show, but every show, although the first time is when I got the most emotional - is the dramatic way they present the Doolin-Dalton Desperado Reprise. It starts out slowly, but by the time they start overlapping the vocals, the entire audience is engaged. It moves me every time!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2015, 09:50 PM
I definitely agree, Soda!

The other thing I'd like to mention, and I've mentioned it in a review or two, but I like it when the audiences are 'awakened' to Joe's awesomeness on In The City. So many people think of Joe cutting loose on F49 or LITFL, or the dueling guitars on HC, or how he cuts up a bit on LBG. On this tour, he completely tears ITC up and when the song starts, I almost feel like the audience isn't always into it. They get into it about halfway through the song. I like seeing the looks of awed surprise on their faces, and when the song is over, hearing the "wow's" from those around me. I hope they do a DVD of this concert, and I hope they catch the crowd reaction on this song. The talent and the arrangement of it (including the visuals and lighting) makes a huge statement IMO.

flojo
05-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, Flojo, I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences.

MC it's nice hearing everyone else's thoughts and moments. I agree with you about LWKUA.

Are you going to any more shows?
It's a shame you haven't managed to bump into anyone, we've been very lucky in getting to meet up with people. It's kind of funny because 'Uncle Glenn' as I like to call him :hilarious: asked if we had met any other fans on our travels and at that point we hadn't, but met Zanny soon afterwards.
We're going to Miami and Hartford, it was originally just Hartford but due to tax reasons we have to stay overseas for a couple of weeks so I cracked and bought some for Miami.

I have to agree about Desperado and DD they're overwhelming.
In the city was never one of my favourites until I saw it performed, it's so atmospheric as is Those shoes. BOML is superb, I've ruined myself with all these live shows that the recordings just can't compare.
Seeing Bernie with the band is great, I would have liked to have seen Randy as well, but hey we can't have it all :)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Yes, Flojo, both HH and I regret not finding a way to meet up with you in NYC last September. All I can offer up is that my job had me completely shellshocked at the time, and I felt hungover without even drinking anything! Hopefully, we'll still meet up sometime!!

If any of the guys were to announce solo shows that you could get to, would you travel here for those?

Zanny Kingston
05-23-2015, 08:53 PM
This is a great thread!

The first show we went to was show #6 Mohegan Sun in CT- first show for DH and second for me, since I saw them in 1979! The whole experience was great, everyone was so talkative about how the Eagles impacted them and it was so great to know I was not the only one who had recorded the HOTE doc and had watched it more than once! The DOC had only been out 4.5 mnths at the time.

I was sitting second row center that night and watching Don sing BOML at that show caused me to have a "moment" there is no other way to explain it.

COLUMBUS! Last show on that leg of the tour. I was on a business trip in PA and DH flew to meet me so we could fly to Columbus OH and boy was I glad we did! The guys were loose and fun and that was the night the panties flew towards Joe on stage and a woman screamed out her love for Don to which he replied "honey you don't even know me" We still talk about how fun that show was.

BOSTON- We met Flojo and her DH and had a great time! The first borderers that we met- that we knew of anyway- though the crowd was not as lively as the group in Columbus. it was a flashback in time for me as it was the place where I first saw the Eagles as a teenager. In the City was a standout for me that night.

WALDEN WOODS SHOW BOSTON- Totally different crowd from what we had seen in the past shows-but we got to see the Eagles perform " How Long" and "Dirty Laundry"! Hung out with Flojo and her DH at this show as well! And of course "Mr. Redford"!

To think that a crappy day in February caused us to sit down and watch the HOTE doc which caused me to find this board, go to shows and meet some really great people has been an utterly amazing experience!

On to Hartford and Buffalo!

flojo
05-23-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes, Flojo, both HH and I regret not finding a way to meet up with you in NYC last September. All I can offer up is that my job had me completely shellshocked at the time, and I felt hungover without even drinking anything! Hopefully, we'll still meet up sometime!!

If any of the guys were to announce solo shows that you could get to, would you travel here for those?

I'm sure we will at some point! Hey, why don't you come to Miami :)

I wouldn't go to as much effort to see solo shows or go to as many. I think the band as a whole have something magical, like Joe Walsh says. I'd like to see some solo shows but I'm scared I might be slightly disappointed. If any of them are over here or somewhere we might go on holiday then I'd go.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-24-2015, 12:39 PM
I have been so lucky to have had so many special times at Eagles shows over the last 10+ years that it's hard to begin to pick out just a few. As always, meeting up with other fans makes each experience unique and very special. As far as the HOTE tour, I'd say that the highlight of these shows for me have been the opportunity to see Bernie reunited with the band, and, the most special musical moment for me is always the Doolin'-Dalton - Tequila Sunrise - Doolin'-Dalton/Desperado Reprise trilogy. I get chills every time I hear it, but I also get sad knowing that I probably won't get to hear it too many more times.

sodascouts
05-24-2015, 01:23 PM
the most special musical moment for me is always the Doolin'-Dalton - Tequila Sunrise - Doolin'-Dalton/Desperado Reprise trilogy. I get chills every time I hear it, but I also get sad knowing that I probably won't get to hear it too many more times.

This seems to be a pretty consistently special moment for many fans. It's a testament to the power of the presentation, the vocals, the instrumentation - everything they do works at this part of the show. It helps that the songs is a fantastic rarity, but at the shows I've been to, EVERYONE responds once this song gets truckin', not just the hardcores. It's fantastic.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2015, 02:03 PM
This seems to be a pretty consistently special moment for many fans. It's a testament to the power of the presentation, the vocals, the instrumentation - everything they do works at this part of the show. It helps that the songs is a fantastic rarity, but at the shows I've been to, EVERYONE responds once this song gets truckin', not just the hardcores. It's fantastic.

It's the biggest reason I don't want to see this tour come to an end, and why we so desperately need a DVD of the show. If the tour ends and they don't keep Bernie on board, I'd assume the Reprise, at least, will disappear from the setlist.

05-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Amen ladies!

If the tour ends and they don't keep Bernie on board, I'd assume the Reprise, at least, will disappear from the setlist.

:weep: :weep: :weep:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Amen ladies!

:weep: :weep: :weep:

Ditto

thelastresort
05-24-2015, 02:33 PM
I agree with the five previous posts. I expect it to go regardless of whether Bernie stays in all honesty, the same for Those Shoes and a couple of others; I can't imagine Don, Glenn and LROOE material being dropped permanently and they would be the first to give way.

And, yes, a DVD would be absolutely wonderful!

TimFan222
05-24-2015, 02:38 PM
In LA, Timothy gave me his pick, and Glenns' son Otis kept having me help him find his friends, he thought they were next to me but were one section over.

In San Diego, the lady in front of me waved at Timothy when he came out, and he quietly sat down he gave her a very slow nod right as he started strumming PEF and our entire section saw it and was like, "AHHHHH!" It was seriously the most cool, rock star-dude move ever.

I had the exact same seat for both shows and will get it again if I go again! Row 5 on TBS' side, inside aisle seat. Nobody in front of me. I'm short.

DD/DR. PMAIAR. Those Shoes.

I want to meet some of my Border friends at a show.

I got a pick from Timothy 3 times. The third time I got Expando picks. I always wave when he comes out and sits down for PEF and he either nods or points. At the end he usually waves at me on the way out

I almost swoon each time😍😍😍😍

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2015, 03:14 PM
I got a pick from Timothy 3 times. The third time I got Expando picks. I always wave when he comes out and sits down for PEF and he either nods or points. At the end he usually waves at me on the way out

I almost swoon each time😍😍😍😍

I need to think about this, TH222, I can't remember what concerts you've been to, but I swear I remember him doing that to someone. I can't remember which one it may have been! I've seen him smile and nod a time or two to someone I do know, but I remember him doing it to someone and I didn't know who.

I've been to DC 7/13, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Indianapolis, NYC (the first two in 2013), LA Forum (the first two), Raleigh, Cincinnati, Omaha, Des Moines, NYC (9/18/14), and Vegas (Oct. 2014). One or more of those has to be an overlap of yours? I suppose it's possible that Tim may nod or point at more than one or two people, though!

TimFan222
05-25-2015, 08:42 PM
VA. The only overlap I see is Pittsburgh and Vegas Oct 14. Vegas was my only show not in first row so it was not that one. I think he did it in Sacramento, Anaheim and Columbus that I can remember. I got a pick in Pittsburgh, ( my first I almost passed out) ,Calgary and Expando pick in St Louis. He quit giving to me. I guess I'm old hat now . Just nice he acknowledges I am there. Have only 4 more.

flojo
05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Oh well, it's back to good old work for a month for me tomorrow and then the countdown is on for my next holiday to Miami and Hartford :partytime:
I wonder if they'll announce more shows just when I'm flying home like they did when we left Australia, I don't think my bank balance could take much more :hilarious:

Roey
06-02-2015, 07:20 PM
So many great moments hard to pick one. Like so many of you already mentioned, Doolin-Dalton/Desperado was almost a religious experience. I really enjoyed Bernie's appearance, the music was great and he seemed to be relaxed and enjoying the performance. I hope he is part of the future of the band. Although I have a fondness for Timothy, my very favorite performances were songs sung by Glenn.

Newark was my heart pounding concert. I went to the box office, literally last minute and scored a seat in the front row. Got an up close appreciation for all of the band members and their wonderful talent. On the down side, this experience created an addiction that caused me to splurge on concerts at MSG (musically the best of all of the concerts I attended), Anaheim and San Diego. Still money very well spent.

Looking forward to AC and possibly Miami. How do you get over the heart ache when it is over?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2015, 07:32 PM
How do you get over the heart ache when it is over?

You don't. I think my approach will be to concentrate on how very lucky I was to see all the shows I did see, how absolutely great this band is, and re-live the memories. All while eagerly anticipating whatever the next thing from these guys might be.

Being here on The Border helps a lot with PEW (Post Eagles Withdrawal).

bamryn
06-03-2015, 10:35 AM
We just saw the band on May 20th in OKC. Loved every minute of it, but have to share what we thought was a funny moment in the crowd. After the guys had left the stage and come back TWICE, they finished up with Desperado. They waved to the crowd and left the stage and people began to file out of the arena. A lady in front of us said to her husband "don't you think they'll do an encore?"

There was a HUGE tv camera set up behind us and I'm pretty sure they are working on a DVD. Does anyone else wonder if that is part of the reason they wear the same shirts so much? They can video different shows and splice the best performances into a video and no one would be the wiser? Just a thought.

Brooke
06-03-2015, 10:40 AM
bam, I think we are all hoping for a dvd, so I hope and pray you are right! But, they do wear somewhat different shirts some. But I don't care if there are discrepancies!

Glad you had a good time!

thelastresort
06-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Didn't they spend all of the LROOE tour dressed like they were in permanent mourning? No official recording was ever made then...

(Not to put a downer on the situation, I'd be inexplicably overjoyed for a DVD of this tour :D)

Freypower
06-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Didn't they spend all of the LROOE tour dressed like they were in permanent mourning? No official recording was ever made then...

(Not to put a downer on the situation, I'd be inexplicably overjoyed for a DVD of this tour :D)

The suits were worn for two years. By the time I saw that tour in 2010 they had gone. They were worn to create a specific image; they were obviously not worn because a DVD was being filmed.

It doesn't matter whether they are filiming or not. There is absolutely no excuse or reason for Glenn to wear that same blue shirt EVERY SINGLE FIRST HALF of every single show. It means that every photo looks identical. I will say no more except that if there were going to be a DVD it would have been announced by now. The lost opportunities they have had, while lecturing their audiences even more sternly on their no photos & phones policy, jar with me. Again there seems no point in saying anything else.

MaryCalifornia
06-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Why on earth would they announce a DVD of the tour while the tour is still ongoing and venues still need to sell tickets? Wouldn't they announce it shortly after the tour ends?

Also, just because a DVD wasn't released on past tours doesn't mean they weren't filming for one. The final product could have been scuttled for many reasons, including money/business issues, dissatisfaction with commemorating what might not be up to Eagles standards, etc...

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Why on earth would they announce a DVD of the tour while the tour is still ongoing and venues still need to sell tickets? Wouldn't they announce it shortly after the tour ends?

Also, just because a DVD wasn't released on past tours doesn't mean they weren't filming for one. The final product could have been scuttled for many reasons, including money/business issues, dissatisfaction with commemorating what might not be up to Eagles standards, etc...

I agree, MC, and even if they had done that before, it doesn't mean they would do it again. As for why no DVD for LROOE, they didn't even include a song from it on the HOTE tour, which explains what they think of it. I'd guess they didn't feel it was worth it. Plus, I know they are careful about what they perceive to be oversaturation, which is why I worry that after the documentary on DVD, then the tour, they may elect to not put out yet another HOTE-related DVD. I'm hoping, praying that they do it anyway.

As for Glenn wearing the same shirt in the first half, when media pictures are allowed, I believe he does it so that every picture does look the same. What reason he has for that baffles me, but it's all a part of the complete dislike of photos being taken IMO.

Freypower
06-03-2015, 07:09 PM

Because before they came to Australia to film for F1, they announced they were going to do it. That was why I went to one of the Melbourne shows; I knew it was being filmed.

Freypower
06-03-2015, 07:10 PM
I agree, MC, and even if they had done that before, it doesn't mean they would do it again. As for why no DVD for LROOE, they didn't even include a song from it on the HOTE tour, which explains what they think of it. I'd guess they didn't feel it was worth it. Plus, I know they are careful about what they perceive to be oversaturation, which is why I worry that after the documentary on DVD, then the tour, they may elect to not put out yet another HOTE-related DVD. I'm hoping, praying that they do it anyway.

As for Glenn wearing the same shirt in the first half, when media pictures are allowed, I believe he does it so that every picture does look the same. What reason he has for that baffles me, but it's all a part of the complete dislike of photos being taken IMO.

If they thought the LROOE album was so dreadful why did they tour it for so long? Why did they even release it, then?

There has never been oversaturation with this band. It has always been the opposite, in my view.

TimFan222
06-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I pray they put out a DVD. This tour is so amazing it needs to be memorialized. WE need it!!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 09:05 PM
If they thought the LROOE album was so dreadful why did they tour it for so long? Why did they even release it, then?

There has never been oversaturation with this band. It has always been the opposite, in my view.

Personally, I really like LROOE, and a DVD of it would have been nice. I can see why they didn't, though.

ITA with you on the oversaturation, however I'm trying to remember the interviews back in 2012 that Glenn did, he mentioned it being something they wanted to avoid doing.

Freypower
06-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Personally, I really like LROOE, and a DVD of it would have been nice. I can see why they didn't, though.

ITA with you on the oversaturation, however I'm trying to remember the interviews back in 2012 that Glenn did, he mentioned it being something they wanted to avoid doing.

I'm afraid I can't see why they didn't put out an LROOE DVD which I would have preferred to an HOTE DVD, frankly. We would have had a souvenir of those songs & a record that they were actually played live.

As for Glenn not wishing to have his photo taken at all, not even by the media who are just trying to do their job, perhaps it's time for him to consider whether he actually still wishes to do this any more. I know you were just speculating. If that's the reason he doesn't even want to change his clothes, I'll put it this way. It's sad.

I know how negative & harsh I have sounded in a couple of these posts. I have reasons which I would rather avoid discussing.

06-03-2015, 10:56 PM
FP - You continuously keep saying you don't want to be negative and will keep your feelings about the HotE tour to yourself, yet you repeatedly keep bringing it up. So pardon me for pointing this out, but if you keep discussing what you say you don't want to discuss, I think you make it pretty clear how you feel about it.

And as far as any DVDs, I totally agree with MC and VA. I think this band has proven over and over that past behavior is not a predictor of what they will do in the future. I also agree that this band has always been very careful about overexposure and oversaturation, but, personally, I would absolutely love to have a DVD of this tour. Maybe they'll repackage the documentary and sell it along with a tour DVD - kinda of a HotE box set.

Freypower
06-03-2015, 11:12 PM
FP - You continuously keep saying you don't want to be negative and will keep your feelings about the HotE tour to yourself, yet you repeatedly keep bringing it up. So pardon me for pointing this out, but if you keep discussing what you say you don't want to discuss, I think you make it pretty clear how you feel about it.

And as far as any DVDs, I totally agree with MC and VA. I think this band has proven over and over that past behavior is not a predictor of what they will do in the future. I also agree that this band has always been very careful about overexposure and oversaturation, but, personally, I would absolutely love to have a DVD of this tour. Maybe they'll repackage the documentary and sell it along with a tour DVD - kinda of a HotE box set.

You say I keep bringing it up. I'm not sure what I have actually said that was negative about this tour except that I thought the phone policy went too far & that I couldn't understand aspects of the wardrobe policy. In these last few posts I have talked about the lack of a DVD (and the wardrobe policy) Perhaps it was obvious that I didn't enjoy the shows I saw as much as everyone else on the board apparently did. That's my problem. I will shut up about it.

sodascouts
06-04-2015, 12:02 AM
I have reasons which I would rather avoid discussing.

Then why bring them up at all?

This also applies to your oft-used phrase "I will say no more" (or variations thereof).

I'm sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people announce they have mysterious reasons or things they want to say, but that they aren't going to say them.

I know you don't intend it this way, but it comes off like you want to pique people's curiosity so that they will ask you for more information, either on the board or privately.

If you don't want to talk about something, then don't bring it up at all. Simple.

If you DO want to talk about it, that's another matter entirely. You are always welcome to express your opinions, even if they're negative - you just have to be prepared for the possibility that people will disagree with you. However, since this thread is about favorite moments, perhaps you could choose another thread in which to discuss your disappointments.

NightMistBlue
06-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I just love it when they unleash the Wall o' Harmony, as in the "Lyin' Eyes" chorus. All of them singing together is a wondrous thing, still.

Roey
06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
VA...besides being incredibly informative, you make me laugh...I work in the healthcare field managing medical claims for providers across the country...I am definitely submitting a request to assign a diagnosis code for the syndrome you described as P.E.W. (post Eagles withdrawl). :hilarious: Wouldn't it be nice if the treatment was a group encounter with the Eagles?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2015, 10:08 PM
VA...besides being incredibly informative, you make me laugh...I work in the healthcare field managing medical claims for providers across the country...I am definitely submitting a request to assign a diagnosis code for the syndrome you described as P.E.W. (post Eagles withdrawl). :hilarious: Wouldn't it be nice if the treatment was a group encounter with the Eagles?

I can't take credit for it! The term was already in use when I started here!

Brooke
06-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Now THAT would be perfect! :drool: It could be addictive though! Who cares! :hilarious:

Funk 50
06-09-2015, 01:39 PM
It doesn't matter whether they are filiming or not. There is absolutely no excuse or reason for Glenn to wear that same blue shirt EVERY SINGLE FIRST HALF of every single show. It means that every photo looks identical..

What's the problem with Glenn's shirts?

At least he's not wearing a schoolboy uniform like Angus Young wears for every show.

I will say no more

A response is not required, Freypower.

I'm not surprised that the Eagles haven't shown any interest in releasing another live DVD. The set list hasn't changed that much since they de-Feldered in 2001 and the background stuff that adds to the spectacle was probably provided by outside parties, who'll want and deserve a cut of the proceeds.
I'm sure they'd be a market for a DVD though.

In basic maths, I reckon they'd have to sell about 10 DVDs for every concert ticket they sell to make the same amount of money.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2015, 02:49 PM
The perceived problem with Glenn's shirts is the lack of variety, and that for the first half of the show, it's been the same tee shirt/over-shirt combination for 99% of the shows. For myself, I don't look at the clothes a lot. I will say that since he feels he needs to wear the same thing each concert, he's made a great choice. That color of blue does incredible things for his eyes.

sodascouts
06-09-2015, 03:21 PM
It's just I was spoiled when he used to wear such colorful and cool stuff... I mean, I like the blue shirt and it looks good on him, but you do kind of miss the flair he used to display regularly with his fashion choices.

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyCandyStriperBlackTee.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyHampdenPark.jpg

http://glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyHRP01.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/cdc_eagles96standaloneprod_affiliate4.jpg

But his changing shirts in the second half is a step in the right direction for sure!

WalshFan88
06-09-2015, 03:31 PM
At least he's not wearing a schoolboy uniform like Angus Young wears for every show.

Completely unrelated but I have to say, what's wrong with this? I love AC/DC, in my top 5 bands of all time. I love the fact they have not give in to fashion changes or changes in music and have put out consistent records of good ol' rock n' roll. Angus without the schoolboy suit wouldn't be the same, nor would it be the same without his duckwalk or his seizing on the ground antic or all of that. I love AC/DC, and have to say I can't see why anyone wouldn't like them if they like good hard rock n' roll like I do. Eagles are an anomaly for me, normally I prefer AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, Zep, Stones, etc type music with gimmicks and stage shows, etc. A good anomaly however (Fleetwood Mac is the other), otherwise I prefer a great show and hard rock n' roll (but not metal). That's why I love modern country and not old country - I like the fact it sounds like rock n' roll. :hilarious:

If you want to discuss AC/DC further we have a thread in the bands section.

Jonny Come Lately
06-09-2015, 06:52 PM
I have to say I personally really don't care what the guys wear (within reason... there are some definite 'no-nos', but these should be pretty obvious) and if they want to wear the same outfits night after night, or change for every performance then it doesn't make any difference as far as I'm concerned. I concur with F50 in saying that as long as they aren't wearing anything silly then it's fine by me.

Going off at a slight tangent, Austin's mention of anomalies made me think about my own tastes and I've come to realise that Fleetwood Mac are probably the biggest anomaly in my tastes - they are the only band I really like with regular female lead vocalists, make a lot of the relationships between the band members and lean more towards pop than any of my other favourites - whereas the Eagles are much closer to the 'Centre of the Universe' ;) as far as I'm concerned with their mix of harder and softer rock with country/folk, aversion to putting their faces on album covers and their philosophy of preferring the songs be the stars.

Funk 50
06-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Joe's worn some silly stuff in the past but I'm quite pleased that he can get away with wearing pretty much anything. There are many artists, like Angus Young who feel the need to wear the same outfit throughout their career.

There is an early AC/DC performance where not only did Angus dress as a schoolboy but lead singer, Bon Scott dresses as a schoolgirl!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=868Daj-ys40
He wasn't going to keep that up was he. :) but that could've been the novelty that got them noticed.

The Genesis guys say the week that Peter Gabriel put on a dress and wore a fox's head they got on the front cover of NME and put an extra zero on their earnings per show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbqT95IPGY

Pity there are no such videos of the Eagles from their current tour. Maybe they'll turn up in 2055.

I've seen a few comments about how great Glenn looks in a suit but it was widely frowned on during the Long Road Out Of Eden tour.

I suppose Glenn just treats his blue shirt as his work clothes. Would it be embarrassing if two of the band arrived on stage in identical outfits?

Freypower
06-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Joe's worn some silly stuff in the past but I'm quite pleased that he can get away with wearing pretty much anything. There are many artists, like Angus Young who feel the need to wear the same outfit throughout their career.

There is an early AC/DC performance where not only did Angus dress as a schoolboy but lead singer, Bon Scott dresses as a schoolgirl!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=868Daj-ys40
He wasn't going to keep that up was he. :) but that could've been the novelty that got them noticed.

The Genesis guys say the week that Peter Gabriel put on a dress and wore a fox's head they got on the front cover of NME and put an extra zero on their earnings per show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEbqT95IPGY

Pity there are no such videos of the Eagles from their current tour. Maybe they'll turn up in 2055.

I've seen a few comments about how great Glenn looks in a suit but it was widely frowned on during the Long Road Out Of Eden tour.

I suppose Glenn just treats his blue shirt as his work clothes. Would it be embarrassing if two of the band arrived on stage in identical outfits?

Not by me it wasn't. :partytime:

I understand that he treats the blue shirt as work clothes. However this is the first tour in which he has worn the same shirt every first half, without fail. It makes looking at the photos a depressing experience because they all look the same. I haven't saved a lot of them because I'm sick of that shirt. Obviously it was nice to see it myself, but knowing that I was going to see it for four successive concerts did take some of the excitement out of it. Also I am used to seeing Don in the same shirt night after night; not Glenn.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-19-2015, 05:27 PM

Not completely identical, but close, was the show at Bethel, NY. Take a look at this thread, HH made the mention in Post #16, and Soda posted pictures in post #45.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4518&page=2

flojo
07-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Wow, I can't believe how seriously people take a shirt. I couldn't care less what any of them wear, I'm just there for the music.
It would be kind of creepy if I was there to ogle considering my dad's around the same age as most of the band. :hilarious:

Funk 50
07-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Not completely identical, but close, was the show at Bethel, NY. Take a look at this thread, HH made the mention in Post #16, and Soda posted pictures in post #45.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4518&page=2

Before beginning Saturday Night, Don turned to Glenn and said -- It's evident we didn't discuss what we'd be wearing tonight. Everyone busted out laughing because they were both wearing plaid shirts over T's. Bobsey twins in plaid. Too cute.

Thanks a lot VA, brilliant scowering :)

I'm with flojo, "I couldn't care less what any of them wear" although the first time I saw him in the flesh, I thought what the hell is Joe wearing, which is exactly what was said by an audience member at the start of some bootleg I bought. :D

I expect the guys all have wardrobe assistants but since dispensing with the suits, anything clean and casual seems to be the order of the day.

I think the wardrobe department would be delighted if the guys performed their last encore singing Take It Easy in full early 70s garb complete with wigs, shades and facial hair and instead of showering the audience with balloons and confetti, gently waft pot smoke around the auditorium :partytime: .... ok, maybe not the last bit :shrug:

07-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Well - call me shallow, but I do take notice of what the guys wear on stage. :) Obviously, I like some of their choices better than others. I believe clothes do matter for a band's image - ask Angus Young or KISS ... I'd bet they'd probably agree. I do to prefer to see the guys mix their wardrobe up a little as they have done in the past, but I still view the lack of variety on this tour as a sign that there may be a DVD in the works. Would love for my instincts to be right on this one! :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-05-2015, 02:02 PM
I've never really noticed what clothes they wear on tour, even before all the clothes became mostly the same on this tour. The suits were obvious, but I couldn't tell you if they were all blue or black or whatever. I have very conservative tastes in clothes for men and for all clothes I have pretty stringent ideas on colors that go together. I realize I'm pretty extreme on this, so I seldom mention it.

In FW1, Glenn's shirt bothered me because while it had a lot of blues, none matched the blue in his jeans. As well, the jeans were a more faded color and all the colors in the shirt were crisp blues. IMO, it 's a shirt made for black jeans. For this tour, all of the blues that he wears go with his jeans and so makes the neurotic spot in my brain happy. Therefore, you will never hear me complain about the clothes for this tour. Except, of course, for the usual complaint about the length of Glenn's shirts...

NightMistBlue
07-06-2015, 02:31 PM
In FW1, Glenn's shirt bothered me because while it had a lot of blues, none matched the blue in his jeans.

But you wouldn't want him to be monochrome, that would be a big fashion faux pas, wouldn't it? Bring back the patchy jeans!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/august171973_zps7yerlekx.jpg

DJ
07-06-2015, 02:41 PM
But you wouldn't want him to be monochrome, that would be a big fashion faux pas, wouldn't it? Bring back the patchy jeans!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/Shenandoah07/august171973_zps7yerlekx.jpg

Oh I don't know about those pachy jeans. LOL My favorite moments are in Part 1 when they show the home videos of the their Third Encore parties. Dreamin I was there. Ha! I thought the clothes were good. Randy in the beginning always dressed in button down shirts, very classy. But I loved all the football jersey's and Teen King Eagles shirt Glenn wore. You could obviously tell all their different personalities. Which I think was great.

flojo
07-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Well - call me shallow, but I do take notice of what the guys wear on stage. :) Obviously, I like some of their choices better than others. I believe clothes do matter for a band's image - ask Angus Young or KISS ... I'd bet they'd probably agree. I do to prefer to see the guys mix their wardrobe up a little as they have done in the past, but I still view the lack of variety on this tour as a sign that there may be a DVD in the works. Would love for my instincts to be right on this one! :partytime:

I see where you're coming from, I just got dragged to see AC/DC last week by my other half... and I was on the Kiss kruise 2 years ago. In my opinion those are bands that have built up such a persona whereas the Eagles seem to have based it more on vocals. You would go to a Kiss show expecting the full costume but with the Eagles you wouldn't really expect a particular outfit or many special effects. I personally have found the vocal performances so moving that I've probably come out looking like a panda on several occasions. On this tour especially I have a horrible feeling that it's all coming to an end and I just want to savour every moment. If anyone's going to Miami and wants to meet up with us then give us a shout.

secret squirrel
08-03-2015, 12:44 PM
I liked the crowd reaction.

SS
xx
http://thetomschillingpoems.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/napola-1.html