PDA

View Full Version : A new album means new videos?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-31-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm sitting here with my mother watching CMT, which I haven't watched in years and years, while also working on a difficult Sudoku game. I'm not giving CMT my full attention, so at a lot of levels, it seems that nearly every song sounds the same. When I glance at the TV, the videos seem to be much the same as well. At least 90% of them have a young, good looking woman doing something in slow motion. The 'something' might change, but even that they tend to all do the same things. The words 'mind numbing' come to mind.

All of this made me wonder if Don will come out with any videos for his new album, and what they'll be like if he does. It's hard to talk about what they might be about when we don't know what songs are on the new album. Does anyone have any thoughts about what they'd like to see or not see from a high level?

Obviously for me, my first thought is that I'd like to see something of substance. I'd also like to see a video (or videos) where we see him a lot, and not a lot of actors. Other than that, I need to think about it a bit more.

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 11:08 AM
I think that I'd just like to see a performance video where it's just him and his band playing the song. I've always thought that those are the best kinds of music videos. After watching the HoTE doc, and listening to Don talk about the videos he made in the 80s, I got the impression that he isn't fond of making videos. Ie: the line "I don't want to be an actor, too".

Only time will tell, though.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-31-2015, 12:21 PM
Don's has indicated more than once that he doesn't like making music videos all that much, but it seems to be obligatory. In spite of his resistance, he has made some extremely good ones in the past such as The Last Worthless Evening, The Boys of Summer, and The End of the Innocence. Anything along the lines of any of these would definitely work for me. On the other hand, it would suit me fine if would avoid doing anything similar to The Garden of Allah, Everything Is Different Now, or even The Heart of the Matter. :thumbsup:

L101
05-31-2015, 02:40 PM
For me, if I like the song and the artist, I want to see them in the video as well. So I love Don's videos for Boys of Summer, The Last Worthless Evening, and The End of the Innocence. For someone who hates doing videos, he has made some good ones.

I would love to see videos along the lines of those above or How long, Busy Being Fabulous etc. Just show him doing what he does best - playing drums/guitar and singing but not dancing (Farm Aid 1985 anyone :grin:)

I have no idea what The Heart Of The Matter video is about ?? :headscratch: but for some reason, I find the Everything Is Different Now video strangely fascinating....:hilarious:

shunlvswx
05-31-2015, 02:50 PM
A few weeks ago, somebody posted a few pictures of Don and a film crew on Facebook. We had no idea what it was for. We didn't know if it was publicity pictures for Cass County, video to promote Cass County or whatever, but something is coming out

For me. I would love to see a video or two from Cass County. I probably expect to see it on CMT and GAC since its suppose to be a country album. Maybe on VH1. I have a feeling that album is coming out this year. Unless the guys decide to add more tour dates (after they said the HOTE tour is done in July), I can see it coming out this year. Yeah right. Mr. Henley has been crying wolf for years, but that's another thread. :hilarious:

Freypower
05-31-2015, 06:50 PM
For me, if I like the song and the artist, I want to see them in the video as well. So I love Don's videos for Boys of Summer, The Last Worthless Evening, and The End of the Innocence. For someone who hates doing videos, he has made some good ones.

I would love to see videos along the lines of those above or How long, Busy Being Fabulous etc. Just show him doing what he does best - playing drums/guitar and singing but not dancing (Farm Aid 1985 anyone :grin:)

I have no idea what The Heart Of The Matter video is about ?? :headscratch: but for some reason, I find the Everything Is Different Now video strangely fascinating....:hilarious:

Playing drums? It isn't going to happen in a solo video. He doesn't play drums on his solo albums (he only did on the first album & then only on four tracks).

He will probably do what Glenn did for AH & do two videos. I have no idea what they will be like as I don't know what the songs are like.

L101
05-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Playing drums? It isn't going to happen in a solo video. He doesn't play drums on his solo albums (he only did on the first album & then only on four tracks).

He will probably do what Glenn did for AH & do two videos. I have no idea what they will be like as I don't know what the songs are like.

I know he doesn't play drums on his solo stuff, I was just making a point of saying what he does best. .....
As Shun said he was seen with a film crew around Linden a few weeks ago, whether for a promo for Cass County or for a new song, we don't know. But from the pictures shown, he looked to be singing and playing guitar so hopefully any new videos will be along those lines.

Funk 50
05-31-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm beginning to wonder whether a long form DVD would be a more desirable product for Eagles fans, than a new CD and therefore more profitable for the creators.

I'm hoping Don's record company have got a successful marketing strategy for Cass County although I'm probably already destined to buy it, in some form.

Don's produced one full album in 25 years. He's practically starting from scratch again.

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 07:50 PM
I'm beginning to wonder whether a long form DVD would be a more desirable product for Eagles fans, than a new CD and therefore more profitable for the creators.

I'm hoping Don's record company have got a successful marketing strategy for Cass County although I'm probably already destined to buy it, in some form.

Don's produced one full album in 25 years. He's practically starting from scratch again.

What was it he said in the 2007 60 Minutes interview? "I would rather produce one good album every 28 years. (Reference to the time between The Long Run and LROOE), than release a mediocre album every year.
Personally, I'll take whatever I can get from the guys, either together or solo, so long as it's something new!

sodascouts
05-31-2015, 08:13 PM
Performance videos are a snooze. I want a concept video. Don has had brilliant videos in the past, and I would hope he'd at least want to make one really good video for the new album, even if they're not as important as they once were.

Unfortunately, it would mean he would have to have a channel on his nemesis, the evil YOUTUBE, which at one point he argued should be completely dismantled by the government (to be fair, that opinion was expressed several years ago). The "music channels" on TV have very little time devoted to videos nowadays. If he doesn't put it on YouTube, relatively few people will see it.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 02:13 AM
Performance videos are a snooze. I want a concept video. Don has had brilliant videos in the past, and I would hope he'd at least want to make one really good video for the new album, even if they're not as important as they once were.

Unfortunately, it would mean he would have to have a channel on his nemesis, the evil YOUTUBE, which at one point he argued should completely dismantled by the government (to be fair, that opinion was expressed several years ago). The "music channels" on TV have very little time devoted to videos nowadays. If he doesn't put it on YouTube, relatively few people will see it.

Without youtube, I probably would've never discovered the song Seven Bridges Road (one of my favorite Eagles songs). Nor would I be as intuned with the band as I currently am. Seeing Don's Boys of Summer video on youtube was the start of several events that led to my wanting to learn more about the guys which led to me discovering this site! In short: Youtube has helped me find loads of new music, so it's a great thing, Don! ;) (Music that I then try to buy when I have the money). Also, I thought that social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc ) was what he had a "beef" with.

Anyway, agree that if Don decides to film any videos, he's gonna have to use youtube to get it out there more. I don't know if he has his own website (when I Google him and Glenn Frey, their sites on here came up first. After Hours was like the 5th one on the list ), but that would be his only other option for getting videos out there. I think that his hardcore fans (even a more casual fan like myself) would see that the video(s) would get spread around the 'net. If he puts a video on a website or youtube, I'd share it on my Facebook, for example.

ETA: ok, I just Googled Don again and found out that he does have a site.

As far as tv goes, MTV and VH1 are now pure sh:censored:t, imo. If Cass County is country like, CMT might play a video. Vh1 classic has a "classic current" thing when they play videos. They play an old video, then play the new one.

If he wants to please his fans, then he's gonna have to get used to the fact that (unfortunately) the internet is the way to go. I'm of this generation, so I can't understand why some people triple my age don't like modern technology. I love being connected to the web 24/7 (that's how I got up to 100 posts in 2 weeks!). I get that at times, it's a pain in the a$$ when your kids won't talk to you because they've got their noses in a cell phone, but the good aspects of technology, far outweigh the bad, imo. Even my grandparents, who are older than Don by at least a decade, realize that the Internet has its perks!

Yesh, I just realized that I wrote an essay! Sorry for the length! I hope that I made sense and didn't ramble or rant too much. I'm very tired (2 am here)... :yawn:, sleep time!

Funk 50
06-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all your posts AlreadyGone95, I'm struggling to keep up.:thumbsup: You're discovering stuff, over a matter of weeks, that I needed years to acquaint myself with.

What was it he said in the 2007 60 Minutes interview? "I would rather produce one good album every 28 years. (Reference to the time between The Long Run and LROOE), than release a mediocre album every year.
Personally, I'll take whatever I can get from the guys, either together or solo, so long as it's something new!

The Eagles current HOTE tour consists of material churned out over an 8 year period, decades ago. The whole first set only covers 4 years. The album that took 28 years is completely ignored. The Eagles' second act, as Don calls it, is represented by arguably the weakest song in the set, Love Will Keep Us Alive, even that is over 20 years old, so I think Don's argument is shot, especially as the relevance of any album is now practically dead.

In 2007, when LROOE was completed, they did release How Long free to the internet to promote it. I wonder if writer, JD Souther, was in on that decision as it was he that'd be losing royalties. Maybe he was financially compensated? I suppose JD has done pretty well out of his connection with the Eagles.

If Long Road Out Of Eden was released now, I'm pretty sure the two promotional videos, would be on a deluxe release of the album.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all your posts AlreadyGone95, I'm struggling to keep up.:thumbsup: You're discovering stuff, over a matter of weeks, that I needed years to acquaint myself with.

The Eagles current HOTE tour consists of material churned out over an 8 year period, decades ago. The whole first set only covers 4 years. The album that took 28 years is completely ignored. The Eagles' second act, as Don calls it, is represented by arguably the weakest song in the set, Love Will Keep Us Alive, even that is over 20 years old, so I think Don's argument is shot, especially as the relevance of any album is now practically dead.

In 2007, when LROOE was completed, they did release How Long free to the internet to promote it. I wonder if writer, JD Souther, was in on that decision as it was he that'd be losing royalties. Maybe he was financially compensated? I suppose JD has done pretty well out of his connection with the Eagles.

If Long Road Out Of Eden was released now, I'm pretty sure the two promotional videos, would be on a deluxe release of the album.

What can I say? I'm a quick study. :D :). Glad that you enjoy reading my posts!
I do think that calling it the "History of the Eagles" tour without touching base on all of the eras of the band isn't right. I'm sure that most fans like some of the songs from LROOE. It's gone platinum several times over! It definitely wasn't a failure.
I hope that JD Souther was or has been fairly compensated for his song. As I said in another thread, that's my favorite song from the album. I discovered it nearly a month ago by accident on youtube. Which then prompted me to buy the album last week.

That would be a cool idea to release the video(s) as an extra on the cd.

sodascouts
06-01-2015, 12:11 PM
JD didn't lose out on any royalties. He made quite a bit of money thanks to the inclusion of "How Long" and "Last Good Time in Town" on Long Road Out of Eden. I talked with him about it after a show one time and he was smiling a great deal, lol.

AlreadyGone95
06-01-2015, 01:11 PM
JD didn't lose out on any royalties. He made quite a bit of money thanks to the inclusion of "How Long" and "Last Good Time in Town" on Long Road Out of Eden. I talked with him about it after a show one time and he was smiling a great deal, lol.
Lol, well that's good to know!