PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh and Eminem

AlreadyGone95
06-02-2015, 11:05 PM
I didn't see a thread for this.

A little while ago, I was on youtube listening to music. I decided to listen to Life's Been Good. Some troll had posted that Joe had stole the song from Eminem. It turns out that Eminem did indeed do a song on his latest album that heavily samples Life's Been Good. The song is called So Far. I'm not a big rap fan, but the song had me :rofl:. Yes, I do like the song.
Joe received a song a writing credit: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Far... (I can totally see Joe having a hand in writing the song. )
Here's a youtube link to the song in case someone wants to hear it (warning: language) https://youtu.be/U4AEfIlmRN0

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2015, 07:23 AM
When an artist samples music from another, the original songwriter(s) get writing credit, whether they collaborated in the new version or not.

WalshFan88
06-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Joe Walsh stealing Eminem's song. Bahahaha.

That's as good as the goons on Twitter saying that Kanye West shedded light on new artists like Paul McCartney...lol

Joe and Paul have more talent in their pinky fingernail than Em and Kanye have in their entire being. I still don't know why someone like Paul McCartney stooped to Kanye's level or ever thought he was in any way, shape, or form talented. If Kanye makes good on his move out of the country, I hope he takes all of the Kardashians with him. Kanye's ego is over inflated and shows disrespect to other artists time and time again. And the Kardashians just make me shake my damn head.

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 11:19 AM
When an artist samples music from another, the original songwriter(s) get writing credit, whether they collaborated in the new version or not.

:oops: my bad. I thought that that was only for covers of a song, no5 sampling, too. You learn something new everyday.

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Joe Walsh stealing Eminem's song. Bahahaha.

That's as good as the goons on Twitter saying that Kanye West shedded light on new artists like Paul McCartney...lol

Joe and Paul have more talent in their pinky fingernail than Em and Kanye have in their entire being. I still don't know why someone like Paul McCartney stooped to Kanye's level or ever thought he was in any way, shape, or form talented. If Kanye makes good on his move out of the country, I hope he takes all of the Kardashians with him. Kanye's ego is over inflated and shows disrespect to other artists time and time again. And the Kardashians just make me shake my damn head.

The sad part is, I had old classmates who actually thought that Kayne had actually done that. I had a hard time not going on a rant about that. I had enough of Kayne hearing on the radio on the bus to and from school every day during the school year. 2 hours of being forced to listen to popular mainstream rap? :yuck:, not for me.

The funny part is that the video for Life's Been Good that I watched was uploaded in 2008. The Eminem video? 2014.
Perhaps Paul thought that it might appeal to his younger fans?

WalshFan88
06-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I also saw it as Paul trying to stay relavant in 2015 and to a younger audience. Truth is, most music in 2015 sucks and he should stick to his great solo work and work in the Beatles. That's where the good music is at. He shouldn't worry about trying to fit into mainstream music. In a couple decades, people will remember Paul McCartney, but I guarantee they'll be going "Kanye who?!". Good music is timeless. Bad music will fade into the abyss.

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 12:16 PM
I disagree a bit. I think that people will remember Kayne because of the antics he's pulled. It's been 4 years since I heard Kanye's music, and the only song that I remember is Heartless. The reason that I remember it is because my 7th grade English teacher taught several days worth of lessons with that song.

As for Eminem, I think that he is loads more talented than Kayne. Is he as talented as Joe or Paul? Imo, no he's not.
I wholeheartedly agree that good music will stand the test of time. Good music never ages or ceases to be good. How many people remember the "group" Milli Vanilli? Not many for sure.

Brooke
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
I also saw it as Paul trying to stay relavant in 2015 and to a younger audience. Truth is, most music in 2015 sucks and he should stick to his great solo work and work in the Beatles. That's where the good music is at. He shouldn't worry about trying to fit into mainstream music. In a couple decades, people will remember Paul McCartney, but I guarantee they'll be going "Kanye who?!". Good music is timeless. Bad music will fade into the abyss.

I completely agree with you here. I don't really know why Paul feels the need to do anything at all as far as new music. People will flock to see him as long as he puts himself out there because of his prior work.

Kanye, I can't stand. All he can do is stupid publicity stunts. Anything to keep his name out there. I don't listen to mainstream music so I don't know anything about it, but his actions turn me off to start with. Jmo!

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I despise Kanye's stunts, but I remember them because they were a big deal at school.
I don't think we'll ever know Paul's reasons for collaborating with Kayne. Maybe he wanted to do something different, something new? I don't know, and tbh, I don't really care much. I'm not a big Beatles fan (*ducks*), so I don't keep up with Paul all that much. *he is my favorite out of the 4, though )

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I reckon that the generation gap plays a big part. I was 13 when Kayne became very popular and for me, he was inescapable. School,online, he was everywhere! Alongside Lil Wayne and later on Justin Beiber, he was the most popular "musician" at my school. Meanwhile, I'm in class with Styx, Van Halen, Def Leppard etc playing in my head. :lol:

Freypower
06-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Nobody has mentioned that Eminem was born in 1972 & LBG was first released in 1978. It would make it rather hard for LBG to be stolen from an Eminem song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminem

Regarding Sir Paul the New album (that's it's title) is worth hearing.

Presumably all this hostility towards an artist choosing to collaborate with someone younger won't be directed towards Don Henley whose new album supposedly features a series of collaborations.

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Nobody has mentioned that Eminem was born in 1972 & LBG was first released in 1978. It would make it rather hard for LBG to be stolen from an Eminem song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminem

Regarding Sir Paul the New album (that's it's title) is worth hearing.

Presumably all this hostility towards an artist choosing to collaborate with someone younger won't be directed towards Don Henley whose new album supposedly features a series of collaborations.
I didn't even think about that, FP!
Regarding Paul, like I said above, I'm not a big fan. I prefer his work with Wings.
I have no problem with collaborations. I find them cool and different usually, especially if the artists are from 2 different musical backgrounds. For example, I love the song that Def Leppard did with Tim Mcgraw, Nine Lives. I just have personal reasons to dislike anything Kayne West does.

WalshFan88
06-03-2015, 06:40 PM
I disagree a bit. I think that people will remember Kayne because of the antics he's pulled.

Maybe, but that's not something that someone should want to be remembered for. LOL... Certainly not his music.

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Maybe, but that's not something that someone should want to be remembered for. LOL... Certainly not his music.

Lol, true. I was trying to be humorous with my response.

WalshFan88
06-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Fair enough, but at least it's not Kanye. I despise that man, along with all of the Kardashians.

thelastresort
06-03-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm not a big Beatles fan (*ducks*), so I don't keep up with Paul all that much. *he is my favorite out of the 4, though )

To quote Glenn, you are not alone! One of the three bands I cannot abide, along with Iron Maiden (save some of their early work with Paul DiAnno) and AC/DC. That said mind, I have a lot of time for George Harrison; seems to be the only one of the four with universal adoration.

Still, I'd have them any day of the week over Mr. West's musical outputs :lol:

AlreadyGone95
06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
To quote Glenn, you are not alone! One of the three bands I cannot abide, along with Iron Maiden (save some of their early work with Paul DiAnno) and AC/DC. That said mind, I have a lot of time for George Harrison; seems to be the only one of the four with universal adoration.

Still, I'd have them any day of the week over Mr. West's musical outputs :lol:

I love both ac/dc and Maiden (except the Blaze records). They're 2 of my favorite bands. I'd even take The Bee Gees over Kayne (I don't like them at all). George Harrison is cool, though.

Jonny Come Lately
06-04-2015, 04:15 AM
There are few things quite as dangerous for old rockers to do as to attempt to stay 'relevant', they usually end up coming across as really uncool in that disco dancing Dad sort of way. I'm glad that the Eagles by and large have avoided this. Paul McCartney is guilty of this although I think U2 are probably the worst offenders - just look at their now infamous iTunes release, the slightly increased sales of their back catalogue were not worth the backlash or the (IMO probably irreversible) damage to their reputation, it may have made a few new fans but I know it made plenty of non-fans as well. I'm absolutely fine if they continue to release new music by all means, but they shouldn't expect the world to care simply because of who they are, rather than because of the music.

All I will say about Kanye West is that I can't stand him or his music, but don't really care or think about him much, I'm not exposed to much of it these days anyway. The Paul McCartney Twitter thing was both funny and sad at the same time really, kind of sad because of how ignorant people were, funny because of who it was (surely most of those people had heard of The Beatles, or at least a song by them?).

I agree about George Harrison - he was a great talent and could have been the star in most other bands. I have a lot of admiration for him as a musician and songwriter, which is more than I can say for Ringo 'Octopus's Garden' Starr (although I must say I certainly enjoyed his narration for Thomas The Tank Engine as a child. Probably the best thing he ever did TBH :hilarious:).

AG95, have you ever heard The HeeBeeGeeBees 'Meaningless Songs (In Very High Voices)'? I think it's a funny parody of the Bee Gees style, the vocal melody even sounds like something they'd come up (although the Bee Gees themselves were not best pleased with it).

Funk 50
06-04-2015, 03:35 PM
There are few things quite as dangerous for old rockers to do as to attempt to stay 'relevant', they usually end up coming across as really uncool in that disco dancing Dad sort of way. I'm glad that the Eagles by and large have avoided this. Paul McCartney is guilty of this although I think U2 are probably the worst offenders....

Nah... Elton John

I agree about George Harrison - he was a great talent and could have been the star in most other bands. I have a lot of admiration for him as a musician and songwriter, which is more than I can say for Ringo

The Beatles were rubbish until Ringo joined them. Ringo and Joe made the great album, Old Wave in 1983

AG95, have you ever heard The HeeBeeGeeBees 'Meaningless Songs (In Very High Voices)'? I think it's a funny parody of the Bee Gees...

I thought The HeeBeeGeeBees were a bit embarrassing but I loved Kenny Everett's Bee Gees https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOIRgSAotY0

Thanks JCL :grin:

from Wikipedia:

"So Far" features samples from the Joe Walsh recording "Life's Been Good" and contains excerpts of "P.S.K. What Does It Mean?" as performed by Schooly D, as well as "the Real Slim Shady" and I'm Back by himself.

I don't know where the other samples come in, it's practically all Life's Been Good to me. I hope Joe gets the largest slice of the royalties. So Far is plainly,Life's Been Good with Eminem rapping over it, just like American Wedding was Hotel California with Frank Ocean singing over it.

Has Elton sang with Mr. Ocean yet?

AlreadyGone95
06-04-2015, 04:18 PM
AG95, have you ever heard The HeeBeeGeeBees 'Meaningless Songs (In Very High Voices)'? I think it's a funny parody of the Bee Gees style, the vocal melody even sounds like something they'd come up (although the Bee Gees themselves were not best pleased with it).

No, I haven't heard them. This is first time I've ever heard of them. I'd probably like the parodies. :lol:

AlreadyGone95
06-04-2015, 04:22 PM
from Wikipedia:

I don't know where the other samples come in, it's practically all Life's Been Good to me. I hope Joe gets the largest slice of the royalties. So Far is plainly,Life's Been Good with Eminem rapping over it, just like American Wedding was Hotel California with Frank Ocean singing over it.

I know that I could hear a beat of one of his songs inthe middle of the song, around the line about the onion rings. Other that, it's a rap version of Life's Been Good.

thelastresort
06-04-2015, 04:24 PM
just like American Wedding was Hotel California with Frank Ocean singing over it.

And just like Hotel California was We Used to Know with Don Henley singing over it.

:D

AlreadyGone95
06-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Almost every song borrows something from another song, I think.