PDA

View Full Version : What should Don's tour for Cass County be like?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-29-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm really hoping there will be an official announcement of dates soon. If he plans to tour near or right after the album release, it seems like dates should be announced soon.

So...what do we think? Where will he play? What venues? How much of the concert should be his hits and how much should be the new songs? What should he wear? Lately for solo shows he's been wearing black pants, white shirt, black jacket, if I remember correctly. Should he go a little more 'country'?

Brooke
06-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Definitely not a suit! I guess he could get a more elaborate jacket like Alan Jackson ala Porter Wagner used to wear! :lol:

NO! JK!

I think jeans and a plaid shirt like he does most of the time on the HotE tour. But something a bit colorful like his red and blue plaids. No gray!

I can't imagine he will do anything very different. It's Don Henley we're talking about!

AlreadyGone95
06-30-2015, 02:53 PM
I agree that Don will probably keep the clothes simple.

Venues? With Cass County being a more country album, I would think that Don will play in areas where country is very popular.

Set list, I honestly don't have a clue.

WalshFan88
06-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Play smaller places, for one. I'll never be able to go to a solo show of the guys. Driving 4 hours to the nearest big arena for the Eagles is one thing, but I can't bring myself to do it for just one of them. Doesn't mean I'm less of a fan, just that I can't do that for just one artist no matter how much I like them. However if DH came locally within a couple hours, I'd go.

I think places where "country" is popular depends on the type of country. If it's the new stuff (which I prefer for country, as it sounds more like rock n' roll and then I can say I like country :hilarious:), it's in arenas and stadiums. Modern country is huge...

Otherwise if you want older country, it's better off to stick to theaters and auditoriums and an older crowd. Don's stuff will be more older style country, so better off playing smaller places and venues and try to draw an older crowd. Kind of like when Glenn did After Hours, which is more older style music.

Jonny Come Lately
06-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Given that Cass County sounds like it will be more country in flavour, I think he should go for a 'down to earth' kind of show. As few gimmicks as possible, with as much emphasis as possible on the performances themselves. Fortunately, as it is Don Henley we are talking about I think there's a fair chance he will let the music do the talking. I'm not bothered about his choice of outfit apart from thinking that a suit might seem a little out of place.

I think it would be quite good to play some of his more acoustic solo songs, perhaps reworked in a style to fit that of the new songs. I reckon The End Of The Innocence and The Heart Of The Matter would be good choices for this, possibly The Last Worthless Evening or even Not Enough Love In The World too. It might be a bit much to do this for all of them but I think the HOTE tour has shown that you can play the old material in a fresh way (I really like the reworked Witchy Woman with Joe's bluesy guitar) so maybe he should go for that with one of two of his hits. Of the less obvious songs, I love it would it if he included the superb Month Of Sundays or something like Long Way Home. although I could understand him including a couple of rockers like BOS or Dirty Laundry but I think he should leave the synth pop tunes such as ASWTDID at home. I think they would seem at odds with the organic nature of country music.

Glennsallnighter
06-30-2015, 05:32 PM
We love country music in Ireland and we love Don Henley as well. Only saying......

Tori
06-30-2015, 05:35 PM
As long as he comes to Milwaukee or darn close to it, it doesn't matter to me what he plays or wears! :hilarious:

In all seriousness, I do think he should go a little country, so to speak. Perhaps change up the setlist to some slower, less out-there tunes, but keep the obvious hits like DL and BOS. I would be SO HAPPY if he did something like Talking To The Moon (which I believe he did at one of the the last solo shows he's played in recent memory). Whatever happens, it'll probably be a great show!

thelastresort
06-30-2015, 06:23 PM
With the fairly sharp contrast between his new material and that that made him famous three decades ago it will be interesting to see how he does the setlist: firstly I wonder if he will do any of the collaborations from CC live (for example, the song with Mick Jagger and Miranda Lambert) or just sticks to those where he is the solo vocalist.

Secondly but more importantly I think I wouldn't want him to abandon any of the songs he has that people have loved for years. As an example, the British musician Paul Weller had a wealth of fairly big songs over here back in the late 70s and 80s with The Jam and Style Council that he played well after the demise of those two bands in his solo concerts. I saw a setlist he did for a gig in my hometown last spring and all of them had since vanished for newer material, which is disappointing. Whilst Don should definitely showcase a lot of CC, and spice it up a bit with a few rare numbers (a la HOTE), he also needs to keep the songs that made him famous back in the 80s - Boys of Summer, Dirty Laundry, End of the Innocence etc should all be staples whose omission is not up for question. That's one mistake I think the Eagles made on the LROOE tour - dropping songs like NKIT, Tequila Sunrise and Already Gone (the only time ever I think) whilst playing lesser stuff from the new album didn't sit right with me.

L101
06-30-2015, 06:32 PM
As long as Don plays in Ireland, I don't care what he wears (well obviously jeans and a plaid shirt (either red or blue :grin:)

I hope he keeps his hits like Boys of Summer, Dirty Laundry, Sunset Grill etc but that he also includes Talking to the moon and It don't matter to the sun - I absolutely love his version of it and I hoped he had recorded it for Cass County but it doesn't look likely :-(

I think he will play about 6 or so songs from CC, and that might change as the tour goes on, depending on the reaction to the songs and the album.....

But the most important thing is Please Don, come to Ireland!! :grin:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-30-2015, 07:42 PM
I certainly hope he keeps The Heart of the Matter in the setlist! As for places here in the US, I don't really care where, since I don't know where I'll be. Weekend shows would be nice so I don't have to take time off.

shunlvswx
06-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Don did a little country like version BOS for the Storytellers special. Maybe he can bring it back.

Well I do hope Don keep some of his hits in the show because even if the audience don't mind the new songs, they want to hear the old hits too. If Don have the time (which I don't think he does from now until September), like some said. Change up the old hits, but still have it still sounding close to the original.

I agree with small arena and auditoriums. I don't know if he can fill the very big arenas like the group does. He might even playing some festivals. I was still surprise with the festival in Texas since that was his first solo show(not counting the private shows we don't know about) since 2013

I just hope he comes to the south. I didn't get to see the HOTE shows which I hate, but I want to see Don in concert.

Funk 50
07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
I've just addressed this over on the Busy Being Fabulous thread. Knowing Don's hired a pedal steel player, it opens the door for The Last Resort and Best Of My Love. I hope he plays a couple of Long Road Out Of Eden tracks.

I'm not sure how long Henley plays for but I reckon, a third hits, a third new material and a third eclectic would cover it.

In honour of the HOTE tour and Bernie's return, another Pedal Steel tune, Hollywood Waltz, would be an eclectic goodie.

thelastresort
07-01-2015, 10:26 AM
I've just addressed this over on the Busy Being Fabulous thread. Knowing Don's hired a pedal steel player, it opens the door for The Last Resort and Best Of My Love. I hope he plays a couple of Long Road Out Of Eden tracks.

I'm not sure how long Henley plays for but I reckon, a third hits, a third new material and a third eclectic would cover it.

In honour of the HOTE tour and Bernie's return, another Pedal Steel tune, Hollywood Waltz, would be an eclectic goodie.

Judging by setlist.fm, about 16-17 songs is par for the course.

I don't think Best of My Love would work at a solo show, so much of it relies on the backing harmonies and I believe Don himself has said he doesn't like how it translates live. The Last Resort I could feasibly see happening, it would certainly be better suited to a Henley solo vice Eagles gig. I would also agree with Hollywood Waltz, it would certainly fit in with the general theme of Cass County by the sound of it. Alas I think it is too rare a cut for it to be a likely choice.

maryc2130
07-01-2015, 11:18 AM
I would love to see him sing The Last Resort. It's not an easy song to sing, though, and he is getting older. I shouldn't doubt his ability, though - he still sounds pretty awesome!

thelastresort
07-01-2015, 11:30 AM
I would love to see him sing The Last Resort. It's not an easy song to sing, though, and he is getting older. I shouldn't doubt his ability, though - he still sounds pretty awesome!

It always strikes me as more of a spoken than sang song - it only really picks up from 'Who will provide the grand design?...'. If Don can still hit the high notes in One of These Nights and hold that note at the end of Desperado then I believe he can still handle The Last Resort :thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
07-01-2015, 12:03 PM
My uncle and I were talking about this some, last night. He said that, given what he's heard about the album from me, he can't see Don playing huge arenas. He thinks that older sounding country being played in a 10,000+ set arena. (This is coming from a guy who grow up hearing the early country stars because of the 78s his parents owned).
In some ways, I agree. I think that it depends upon how much new material is added to the set list. I would think that Don would leave in at least 5 or so of his big hits (BOS, Dirty Laundry,EOTI, Heart of the Matter, and (I hope) New York Minute etc). For casual fans, that's what they came to hear. Heck, some of them might not even know that he has a new album out! I also would assume that he would do a few Eagles songs. I think that if Don did a 50/50 deal (50% Eagles/solo hits and 50% new or deep cuts) then he could probably do well in a an arena atmosphere. The hits are what draws the crowd.

I just hope that more people than us hardcore fans (I guess I'm hardcore) want to hear the album and songs.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping he does not play The Last Resort.

I know in 2009, he played places like the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, which is a smaller arena, but not real small. I can't remember their concert size, but I'd guess something like 7k to 8k.

I think/hope he'll do a good mix of Eagles stuff and solo hits. If we are to believe what the head of Capitol Records thinks, the new songs will be so good and be hits, so everyone will want to hear them. :) It just may take some time for them to catch on. Maybe that's why no dates for a tour have been announced yet? Maybe there will be a bit of a wait?

AlreadyGone95
07-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Aren't shows announced at least 2-3 months in advance? (Forgive me, I'm not familiar with shows). I'm thinking that if Sept. 18th is the release date (has that been confirmed? ), then October would be when he would do a tour. I wonder if he'll do a decent sized tour,(maybe 20 dates)

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Aren't shows announced at least 2-3 months in advance? (Forgive me, I'm not familiar with shows). I'm thinking that if Sept. 18th is the release date (has that been confirmed? ), then October would be when he would do a tour. I wonder if he'll do a decent sized tour,(maybe 20 dates)

It seems to vary on when things are announced. As for how many shows, I have no doubts he'll drip feed them a leg at a time, and the total amount will vary on ticket sales and popularity of the new songs. One reason for this, IMO, is if the first few tour legs are well received, he can command a better deal (not necessarily just money) on the later dates. Just an opinion.

shunlvswx
07-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I saw an article that Don might be doing 20 dates. The question is how he is going to do that because 20 dates can easily be done in a month. Or spread it out.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2015, 04:06 PM
The Eagles do about 11 to 13 dates at a time over a three or four week stretch. I imagine that's to rest in between, especially to keep strain off their voices. Given that, I would expect Don to do the same. I didn't see an article about '20', but if CC is really going to be the album of the year, he's gonna need to do more than 20!

AlreadyGone95
07-01-2015, 04:14 PM
I expect given Don's age that he would spread out the dates, so that he can be in top form at each show (hopefully, barring any illness).

ETA: maybe there's 20 already planned, and he'll go from there?

NOLA
07-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I've heard the mention of 20 proposed dates, too, but has anything leaked about guest artists coming along for the tour? Given that the new album is full of collaborations, I'd like to think maybe one or two, if not more, may accompany Don during the course.

Also, agree about the use of smaller venues. This is an opportunity to showcase his new solo material, and I think he would want a more intimate setting to do so than larger arenas.

For his wardrobe, I don't care what the man wears, as long as he dons a denim shirt! :wink::heart:

Funk 50
07-01-2015, 06:05 PM
I think the size of the venue depends totally on his ability to shift tickets. As Don's said, he hasn't got a clue what to expect and the bar isn't set high.

If Cass County gets a rave response Don will be lining up Arenas but I expect he'll dip his toe in the water with some small, low key dates to begin with and then see how it develops.

I think it was Don's pedal steel player who said he'd been hired for 20 dates.

If any of Don's guest stars are to regularly appear with him on tour, I'd expect there would have to be shared billing. I believe country music fans aren't as partisan as rock music fans but I'm sure Don would want to be in front of an audience that want to hear his music rather than somebody else's.

Has Don toured with jumbotron screens in the past? I only saw him before they were invented.

shunlvswx
07-01-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to find the link of the article. I know I saw the link. Eagles Fastlane had the copy of the article, but they don't have the link.

It was in an Arkansas newspaper.

shunlvswx
07-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Here's the article. Go down to Music Man. The people might just saying things.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jun/28/benton-trio-fans-called-for-filming-201/

Brooke
07-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I really can't imagine any of those artists touring with Don. He might have one here and there as a guest on the song he did with them, but it won't be a regular thing. Most of these artists are too busy to tour with someone and only have one song to sing on.

It will be kind of a surprise thing when one of them shows up. Jmo

ETA: I went back and read F50's post. I guess shared billing might work. Dunno about that!

Desperada
07-02-2015, 05:06 PM
As long as Don plays in Ireland, I don't care what he wears (well obviously jeans and a plaid shirt (either red or blue :grin:)

I hope he keeps his hits like Boys of Summer, Dirty Laundry, Sunset Grill etc but that he also includes Talking to the moon and It don't matter to the sun - I absolutely love his version of it and I hoped he had recorded it for Cass County but it doesn't look likely :-(

I think he will play about 6 or so songs from CC, and that might change as the tour goes on, depending on the reaction to the songs and the album.....

But the most important thing is Please Don, come to Ireland!! :grin:

Well said, that would be magic!!!:thumbsup:

Witchy Woman
07-02-2015, 08:43 PM
I would hope Don returns to Atlantic City (obviously not the Revel) and do a show there. I could see him doing a show at the Borgata. I'm sure he will sing the songs he knows people want to hear, sprinkled with a few from Cass County.

sodascouts
07-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Maybe with the country flavor, he'll do more dates in the south. I think Nashville's a given, but perhaps Atlanta, Little Rock, Birmingham, NOLA, and dear old Memphis would also be warranted.

AlreadyGone95
07-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe with the country flavor, he'll do more dates in the south. I think Nashville's a given, but perhaps Atlanta, Little Rock, Birmingham, NOLA, and dear old Memphis would also be warranted.

Exactly what I was thinking and hoping for. :pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-10-2015, 09:04 PM
This is unexpected. I wonder if it's true?

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/don/Cass%20County/anticipation/preston%20jones%20tweet_zpstcepzsuv.jpg

DivineDon
07-11-2015, 07:29 AM
We love country music in Ireland and we love Don Henley as well. Only saying......

So true, GA and Lacken!!! I really NEED some good news to cheer me up.....

.....PLEASE DON I'm praying you'll come and see us in Ireland!!!! :angel:

shunlvswx
07-11-2015, 07:54 AM

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/don/Cass%20County/anticipation/preston%20jones%20tweet_zpstcepzsuv.jpg

When I saw this, I had wonder if Steuart will be in the band too since he has many years of experience playing country music. Plus he was in Rodney Crowell's band for many years before he joined the Eagles and still tours with Rodney when the Eagles are not touring. Don usually do have two guitarist anyway, but we'll see.

shunlvswx
07-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Someone posted this on one of the Don Henley Appreciation group. He has a facebook page, but it hasn't been updated since 2010 when his album was released. He's got a nice voice, good guitar playing and he's kinda cute. lol At least he's going to be easy on the eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYti7ORjuO8 (https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv% 3DxYti7ORjuO8&h=UAQHW-AMb)

Funk 50
07-12-2015, 05:33 AM

It looks like Chris Holt is, so far, non-committal!
I'm imagining that Peter Thorn is working with somebody else. Henley is very loyal to his backing band.

I hope Steuart is in the band. It greatly increases the possibility of Don performing Center Of The Universe, Business As Usual and/or Waiting In The Weeds during the tour.

According to his résumé (https://dallas.schoolofrock.com/faculty/chris-holt), Don sings back up on Chris Holt's forthcoming solo album, Stargazer.

As always, thanks for the links VA. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
07-12-2015, 06:55 AM
I'll play guitar for you Don if this Chris guy backs out...just let me know when and where. ;) :-D

DivineDon
07-12-2015, 08:52 AM
I'll play guitar for you Don if this Chris guy backs out...just let me know when and where. ;) :-D

Good one, Austin - I'll iron those darn check shirts, polish his old boots and throw his bottle of hair dye away...I'll even sing backing if he's stuck - I know all the words, I've played his songs enough of times!...c'mon Don, I'm waiting....

Freypower
07-12-2015, 07:07 PM
It looks like Chris Holt is, so far, non-committal!
I'm imagining that Peter Thorn is working with somebody else. Henley is very loyal to his backing band.

I hope Steuart is in the band. It greatly increases the possibility of Don performing Center Of The Universe, Business As Usual and/or Waiting In The Weeds during the tour.

According to his résumé (https://dallas.schoolofrock.com/faculty/chris-holt), Don sings back up on Chris Holt's forthcoming solo album, Stargazer.

As always, thanks for the links VA. :thumbsup:

I don't know how you read 'non-commital' into this given that Holt himself is not quoted.

As for your assumption that Don may perform COTU & BAU, neither of which he has ever peformed, good luck with that. He has a new album to promote. He's going to do new songs from that, not songs from an album which the Eagles have discarded. He never played those two songs with the Eagles so why would he play them on his own? That would indicate that he also wouldn't do WITW since that song relies so much on the Eagles harmonies. Also since 2007 he has done solo shows with Steuart. If he had wanted to perform any of those songs he had every opportunity to do so.

And before you say 'but Glenn did a couple of LROOE songs which he never performed with the Eagles' - yes, he did. Before LROOE was released & the songs were new.

WalshFan88
07-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Good one, Austin - I'll iron those darn check shirts, polish his old boots and throw his bottle of hair dye away...I'll even sing backing if he's stuck - I know all the words, I've played his songs enough of times!...c'mon Don, I'm waiting....

Sounds good to me. I also know his and the Eagles material front to back. I think it'd be a good thing!

Funk 50
07-13-2015, 03:05 PM

Do you think he'd let you polish his boots DivineDon? I think he'd prefer you to scuff 'em up some more :)

I don't know how you read 'non-commital' into this given that Holt himself is not quoted.
The quote confirms the offer but doesn't include the reply. I would've thought anybody (except Felder) would sign up instantly before Don gets a chance to ask somebody else. :shrug:

As for your assumption that Don may perform COTU & BAU, neither of which he has ever performed, good luck with that. He has a new album to promote. He's going to do new songs from that, not songs from an album which the Eagles have discarded. He never played those two songs with the Eagles so why would he play them on his own?
I certainly don't assume that they'll do LROOE tunes but as the Eagles have completely ignored that album for the HOTE tour, Don may feel a strong urge to redress that major snub.

Don's the king for singing Eagles songs at his solo concerts (except Felder). If you look at a LROOE set list. Don was the only guy that sang new tracks that were actually written by band members. ie. not covers. He may have wanted to do more.

I think the songs Don wrote with Steuart would make fine additions to his Cass County set list. Indeed, if Don and Steuart were the major players in a songs creation, Don's tour would be the ideal opportunity to give one or two an airing.

It wasn't until after Don started performing The Long Run at his solo shows that the Eagles reintroduced it into their set list. It didn't even make the surprising Millennium shows' set list. I'm pretty sure The Long Run has been ever present ever since.

Brooke
07-13-2015, 04:14 PM
F50, I have to agree with Fp here. I don't expect to hear Don sing any songs from LROOE. I guess we can wish and dream though! :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-13-2015, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately, F50, I agree with FP as well, though I wish it weren't so. Stueart's been touring with Don for so long now, if he were going to include 'unplayed' material it would have been before now. I think going forward, the new additions to his setlist will solely be Cass County material.

Freypower
07-13-2015, 06:37 PM
I certainly don't assume that they'll do LROOE tunes but as the Eagles have completely ignored that album for the HOTE tour, Don may feel a strong urge to redress that major snub.

Don's the king for singing Eagles songs at his solo concerts (except Felder). If you look at a LROOE set list. Don was the only guy that sang new tracks that were actually written by band members. ie. not covers. He may have wanted to do more.

I think the songs Don wrote with Steuart would make fine additions to his Cass County set list. Indeed, if Don and Steuart were the major players in a songs creation, Don's tour would be the ideal opportunity to give one or two an airing.

It wasn't until after Don started performing The Long Run at his solo shows that the Eagles reintroduced it into their set list. It didn't even make the surprising Millennium shows' set list. I'm pretty sure The Long Run has been ever present ever since.

You have completely lost me with the bit about 'Don was the only Eagle to sing original LROOE songs'. I fail to see the relevance of this to anything. I also fail to see the relevance of him performing The Long Run & it then being played by the Eagles.

Glenn sings Eagles songs at solo shows too, so again I fail to see what point you are trying to make.

As I said & others have said, he has had eight years to do some of those songs, with Steuart, at solo shows, and he failed to do so. He is not going to derail the promotion of his own album in order to do these songs.

MaryCalifornia
07-13-2015, 09:31 PM
You never known. Don may have some nice surprises up his sleeve. Let the people dream!!

Funk 50
07-14-2015, 06:34 AM
You have completely lost me with the bit about 'Don was the only Eagle to sing original LROOE songs'. I fail to see the relevance of this to anything.
I think it shows that Don is willing to perform his own new songs live. He may wish to perform more of the other LROOE songs that he's written. I don't see the Eagles performing them in future.

I also fail to see the relevance of him performing The Long Run & it then being played by the Eagles.

Shows that Don will perform Eagles songs that the band don't play.

As I said & others have said, he has had eight years to do some of those songs, with Steuart, at solo shows, and he failed to do so. He is not going to derail the promotion of his own album in order to do these songs.

The Long Road Out Of Eden album has only been shunned by the Eagles for two or three years. Since the HOTE tour, it now looks more likely that songs from that album are more likely to be played at future solo shows than during future Eagles tours,

Cass County looks like being Don's biggest tour since Inside Job in 2000.

I expect a third of Don's Cass County set list, to be Cass County songs, It's unlikely that the other two thirds will include Long Road Out Of Eden songs but certainly not impossible. :thumbsup:

As I said, Don may feel, he needs to make up for the Eagles ignoring Long Road Out Of Eden during the HOTE Tour.

Freypower
07-14-2015, 05:41 PM
[quote=Funk 50;304979]I think it shows that Don is willing to perform his own new songs live. He may wish to perform more of the other LROOE songs that he's written. I don't see the Eagles performing them in future.

Of course he will perform his own new songs live. The LROOE songs are Eagles songs. Furthermore, they are no longer 'new'.

Shows that Don will perform Eagles songs that the band don't play.

That happened once, a decade ago.

The Long Road Out Of Eden album has only been shunned by the Eagles for two or three years. Since the HOTE tour, it now looks more likely that songs from that album are more likely to be played at future solo shows than during future Eagles tours,

It has been shunned by them for five years. They last played songs from it in 2010 in Australia. Glenn did YANA at two small shows in 2011. That was it.

So why are the LROOE songs suddenly going to be played at solo shows? You say 'more likely'. You give no reason why you think this might happen. The band has abandoned the album. In HOTE it was barely mentioned. It has been ignored in this tour. So I'm afraid I don't think the individual members will revive it. Also, it should be stated that only one of them was prepared to play any of the songs solo, and that was Glenn. Don never has.

As I said, Don may feel, he needs to make up for the Eagles ignoring Long Road Out Of Eden during the HOTE Tour.

I don't see why. This tour has nothing to do with the Eagles & nothing to do with LROOE.

Funk 50
07-15-2015, 05:36 AM
This tour has nothing to do with the Eagles & nothing to do with LROOE.

Hotel California? Desperado?

You don't think Don will be doing any Eagles tunes?

Freypower
07-15-2015, 06:23 PM

You know very well what I meant.

Let's leave it at that.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-15-2015, 06:23 PM
You never known. Don may have some nice surprises up his sleeve. Let the people dream!!

Very true, MC. This thread is about speculating after all so none of us knows for sure what will happen.

Now, having said that we don't know what will happen, my speculation is that he will indeed play a few of the same Eagles classics that he usually plays. Unfortunately, though, I'm not sure that he would include anything off of LROOE as an Eagles classic, so my guess is that he won't include anything from the album.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Well said, Dreamer, the thread was meant to be a conversation about what we'd like to see as well as what might actually happen.

Funk 50
07-16-2015, 12:47 PM
You know very well what I meant.

Let's leave it at that.

Sorry Freypower, I don't know what you mean.

This tour has nothing to do with the Eagles & nothing to do with LROOE.

I think the tour is about selling tickets, entertaining the audience and promoting Cass County. Probably growing as an artist and performer too.

I'd prefer it if you didn't tell me what I'm thinking, Freypower. You're speculating at best...:eyebrow:

UndertheWire
07-16-2015, 01:16 PM
As we're speculating, I wouldn't be surprised if Don included Waiting in the Weeds.

I certainly hope he'll include a good number of the songs from his new album. I can't see the point of touring behind an album and only playing one or two tracks from it. He could make more money touring with the Eagles so it's not a cash grab and he's not short of good solo material. So long as he's not trying to sell out stadiums, he doesn't need to stick to the tried and trusted.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 02:57 PM
I have no idea how long he might tour for this, but if it's any amount of dates, he might front load the dates with more Cass County material, then play fewer later. Or more. I would love to hear him do Waiting in the Weeds live, but I'm not going to hold my breath. IMO, he's more likely to sing a cover of a song that means something to him if he elects not to pull from his own solo catalog and the tried and trusted Eagles classics. I say that because that's what he done up to now. It's not like the man hasn't toured since the tour for his last album.

sodascouts
07-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Sometimes the members of the Eagles surprise us. There have been occasions in the past when a poster has vehemently insisted that something would "never" happen, only for the event to come to pass. It does no harm to speculate. Time will tell who is correct.

That said, I agree that the odds of Don playing a song from LROOE are slim. He's got a shorter set than the Eagles and I imagine he will intersperse Cass County material with solo hits and perennial Eagles favorites such as Desperado, HC, and LITFL rather than taking up time with LROOE tracks. This is especially true for the title track and WITW, both of which are rather long. As VA points out, he usually adds a cover or two, which leaves even less time for LROOE songs.

If he does a major change to his setlist, I think it would be focusing on country-tinged numbers from his and the Eagles' catalogs and dropping or modifying the songs that don't fit that genre, a la Glenn and his After Hours tour. That could be quite interesting.

I guess we'll see.

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Just got an email from the Eagles online store to the effect that Don Henley will tour North America in October 2015 and that each ticket purchased will include a copy of Cass County. I guess it was too much to hope for a few European dates

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 11:17 AM
I opened a thread for the actual tour discussion, as opposed to the speculation and wish list that's here, though this one will still be fun to speculate with.

Funk 50
07-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Just seen that Shawn Colvin will be supporting Don during his Cass County tour.

I bought one of Shawn's singles. The beautiful, I Don't Know Why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67flP6YePgs

Can't you just hear Don singing that.
To be honest, I actually thought Don was on it. I must be getting her mixed up with Patty Smith (Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough)

Shawn's got the vocal chops to help Don out with some of his duets.

DJ
07-21-2015, 10:13 PM
I'd love to see Shawn Colvin and Don Henley come to MT. This is cowboy country and I think the two songs that I've heard, would be a big hit.