PDA

View Full Version : Long Road Out of Eden Preview

Ive always been a dreamer
10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Hi all - I was doing a search to see if there was any new information about the album, and I found a link where you can now preview the entire album. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you check it out. Here is the link:

http://www.q1043.com/cc-common/news/sections/special/eagles.html?gclid=CJHmgo_Mpo8CFQ2aOAodgDYXSg

Sexy Girl
10-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Thank you for the link - it's much appreciated!!

So it looks like we ALL can listen to the entire CD before the CD listening chat party - this is great news!! :D
No more worries about shipping dates or stores having their Eagles CD supply in time.

glenneaglesfan
10-24-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the link, dreamer. Check out the photo gallery too!

Mrs Frey
10-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks so much for that link, Dreamer! I don't know how much time I'm going to have to check it out properly, but I'm going in now to sample it's delights at least! :D :yay: I'm so excited about the new album!

Brooke
10-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks dreamer! Several nice photos there, too! :D

DonFan
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh.
My.
God.
This album is terrific.

I was going to try to wait until next week, but I simply couldn't resist going to this site--Thanks, Dreamer!--and listening to at least a few of the songs.

WOW.

Waiting in the Weeds is unbelievable. Every time I listen to it, I love it more.

I love Busy Being Fabulous too. I think it will make a great single, and the catch phrase has already worked itself into my vernacular.

Somebody has a spooky, funky vibe that is perfect for this season. I can see playing it alongside Witchy Woman, and love the way Glenn changes his voice for this one.

And there is no way to listen to Joe's Last Good Time in Town and sit still.

I stopped listening there---and man, was it hard--but I am trying to wait unitl next week to appreciate the effect of the entire album.

EasyFeeling
10-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for that link, Dreamer. :D I also will wait until I have the album. All I can say so far is there a few songs which I love, some which I like and some which I don't like much.

JoeFan
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I listened to it all. It's absolutely brilliant!

Freypower
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
ACKKKKKKK

No More Walks In The Wood is exquisite. I'm now listening to Busy Being Fabulous. Nice chorus! Um! My husband's home so I don't know if I can listen to it all....

Edit: Now that I have heard What Do I Do With My Heart someone can scrape me off the floor if they wish. I can't say any more than that.

Guilty Of The Crime is very catchy! Am I doing a running commentary? I can't do this!!!

DonFan
10-24-2007, 08:54 PM
I knew you would cave, FP!
We have NO will power when it comes to the Eagles!

Freypower
10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
The instrumental is beautiful.

Waiting In The Weeds sounds like a 'Don classic'. Just beautiful.

As for Somebody - OH MY GOD what IS that????? 'Somebody's following you' - he has never done that to his voice before. That is the coolest thing I've ever heard.

LROOE is astounding. Just astounding. Too much.

I suppose What Do I Do With My Heart is a bit 80s? I like Glenn's vocalising because he's never done that either. :shock: What do others think? Is it too 'power ballad'? Am I wrong to like it so much? Why am I rambling on like this?

I've got Frail Grasp on now. A bit 'solo Don' perhaps. But honestly, to me this all sounds like THE EAGLES even if the individuals are showcased. Ah! There's 'who left the cap off the freakin' toothpaste'! You go, Don!!

GOTC was a bit repetitive and IDWTHA was a bit too sweet for me.

I might just go and rewrite Ulysses now. :twisted:

Freypower
10-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm up to Centre Of The Universe. I loved Business As Usual. I think I heard a naughty word repeated a couple of times! I wasn't that sure about Last Good Time In Town. I think Joe has been underused, sadly.

Centre Of The Universe has a slight Bee Gees feel to it. Lovely harmonies.

As for I Love To Watch A Woman Dance it is a cameo. It is a break from the 'broader' themes of the album. It is exquisite. I suppose not everybody will agree with me.

Oh, and You Are Not Alone? It's very moving. That voice. It just goes through you.

It's Your World Now has just started. Good heavens but that man knows how to get to me. Glenn, will you not talk about 'leaving' please! 'True love never dies' eh? How he loves that phrase.

They've done it. It's a masterpiece. I have absolutely no hesitation in saying so.

Maleah
10-25-2007, 12:35 AM
LOL! FP I must agree, it's a masterpiece! I'll give my running commentary too ;)

No More Walks in the Woods - Could harmonies even get any more gorgeous and perfect? It's absolutely amazing!

Busy Being Fabulous - love Love LOVE it!! It is SOOOO catchy! I love Don's voice on it! One of my favorites. It's one of those that you find yourself humming or singing later after the music has stopped. 8) As several others have previously stated, I love the "uh huuuh" at the end of the chorus.

What Do I Do With My Heart - gorgeous! Glenn's voice is just silky smooth. It's just gorgeous lyrics, vocals, and harmony! There aren't words to describe how much I absolutely love the parts at approx 3:00 and later when Glenn's adding stuff in and Don takes over and Glenn's adding stuff in the background! Gorgeous! (I seem to be saying that a lot about this song! lol) Another one of my favorites! So no FP, you are not wrong to love it so much because I do too! lol

Guilty of the Crime - I love the beginning and the first verse! Reminds me of something we'd have heard fom Joe in his younger days. Love when the harmonies kick in on the chorus. Joe's guitar solos are fabulous as always! I also love the bass and piano right before the second verse kicks in. Joe's songs can rock like none other.

I Don't Want to Hear Anymore - I really like the fact that it's not extremely slow. It's a ballad, but it's mid-tempo. Tim sounds so smooth. He just has one of those peaceful, relaxing voices that you could listen to forever. lol Again, gorgeous harmonies. I really like when he fades to his falsetto. I really, really like this one!

Waiting in the Weeds - A Don classic! What's more to say? Amazing! I just love the lyrics...fantastic! It really is a gorgeous song!

You Are Not Alone - What a sweet song! Especially knowing what it's about and who it's for. I don't know what else to say except that it's very touching (imo) and Glenn sings it perfectly.

Long Road Out of Eden - Even though I still don't exactly care for the beginning of the song, I can see where it fits with the song. However, I love the song itself! The lyrics are absolutely brilliant! Don's voice is perfection! I really like the melody of it and you always are gonna wanna sing "It's a loooooong rooooooaaaad out of eeeeden!" lol I know it's long, but I honestly wouldn't mind them performing this in concert. Another thing, I love Glenn's lower harmonies with Don before the great harmonies of the "chorus." Oh one last thing...........GORGEOUS guitar solo!!!!!!!!!!!! Definently Joe :D I don't like the interruption of the middle eastern style music again. It's fine in the beginning, but I don't like it interrupting the song. Still, absolutely fantastic. Definently a favorite! I love the "all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools" line! So true!

I Dreamed There Was No War - simply beautiful! I wouldn't mind even hearing this in concert either.

Somebody - I really like the way Glenn sings this song with a slight rasp! I LOVE the ""somebody's following you" and "it's calling you home." I've never heard Glenn sing like that before. lol I like it! I really like the guitars in this song. Another favorite!

Fail Grasp on the Big Picture - Funky! Another one that I love the guitars on. Typical Don "attitude" song. lol I understand what he's saying about the religion and the money/sex thing but I think Don has to be careful because sometimes with his attacks on things he forgets that he talks about other people being so close minded that he doesn't realize in a way he's doing the same. I love the beat and funky style of the song. And I love the "attitude" of the song....but just not sure I like the lyrics. Like I said before though, the guitars are fabulous.

Last Good Time in Town - I think this one is my favorite of the two Joe songs and I can't even explain why. lol Love the whispering by, I assume, Glenn in the background. Another song that Joe's guitar playing is fabulous, as always! I didn't listen to the entire song because I have to go to sleep!

Sorry for the blabbing about each song that made this so long! LOL! I'll have to post my thoughts about the other songs later. I have to get to bed! lol

sodascouts
10-25-2007, 04:13 AM
What a week this has been. I'm back in Chicago again about to go to a Stevie Nicks Soundstage concert taping, but all I can think about is this album. So here I am, at 3:30 in the morning, wearing a cheap pair of headphones attached to my laptop while my friends sleep, to finally sit down and give some thoughts on this!

PART ONE

No More Walks in the Woods I too must compliment the beautiful harmonies that this piece is obviously designed to feature. Even on my little plastic headphones the individual voices come through loud and clear, each adding its own texture. Melodically, it's not very interesting, but the melody isn't what's important here, it's the vocal.

How Long So much fun! This one makes me smile every time I hear it, despite the unpleasant opening image of a dissected bluebird. ;) This song has always been great, and the guys do it justice now just as they did over 30 years ago. It seems so "right"!

Too Busy Being Fabulous So, so catchy. I love it. I have a friend staying with me this week (why i've been unable to post much), and she wasn't too interested in listening to the Eagles. She tolerated me streaming the Capital Gold show, though, and once she heard this song played, she couldn't get it out of her head. We even started a running joke using the phrase. "I wonder if Stevie Nicks is busy being fabulous tonight?" lol I think they are right to choose this as the second single. It's got that "hook" that even catches the casual listener.

What Do I Do With My Heart Magnificent vocals, strong melody, effective song structure. Glenn nails that love-lorn vocal, and bringing Don in at the end for that back-and-forth just takes it to the next level. The power of Glenn's vocal from the bridge to the end is what really sells it for me, though. He make you feel it. That's what has always drawn me to his music, and he's done it again here.

Guilty of the Crime Not my favorite, but still good. I've heard this one before courtesy of the Robocop Soundtrack, and I've aways thought it was fun. I really like the piano parts in it, which gives it a different kind of feel than just straight up guitar rock song.

I Don't Want to Hear Any More A pleasant melody and a smooth vocal. Its strength is the chorus, I think. That title line is catchy.

Waiting in the Weeds I saw the title and length of this song and thought it might be a drag. After listening to it, though, I absolutely adore it. I love the lyrics, the images, the structure, the way Don's voice goes up on that verse about "flavor of the week", the shift from the bridge back to the verse - all of it. I love it.

sodascouts
10-25-2007, 04:41 AM
SHOOT, I just wrote out all this stuff for part two and lost it! DANG IT!

I guess I'd better save that for another time and go to bed.

What an exciting time for Eagles fans! Love it or hate it, they finally came through.

Glennsallnighter
10-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Thank you for the link - it's much appreciated!!

So it looks like we ALL can listen to the entire CD before the CD listening chat party - this is great news!! :D
No more worries about shipping dates or stores having their Eagles CD supply in time.

That was my first thought too SG :wink:
Now I only have to dispose of hubby for the night. :roll:

Thanks for the link! That was incredible!

Sexy Girl
10-25-2007, 05:44 AM
It was fun to read all the reviews, thanks everyone for taking your time to write it all up.

Though I took my time to listen to the entire album I didn't have the time to write a detailed review, I'm sorry. Anyway this album is a masterpiece, and I can't wait to have it in my hands. Somehow it will be still different than listening on the internet or to recordings.

Something funny I noticed: the title of this thread is "Long Run Out of Eden Preview" 8) However it doesn't seem to matter :wink:

Mrs Frey
10-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Your reviews are all very interesting! I'm freaking out because I tried to listen to the new songs yesterday from the link and it just kept "buffering". So it wouldn't play anything! :cry:

I'm currently trying again, and this time I'm getting a few snippets of music (no vocals yet), with lengthy pauses in between. And it just keeps on BUFFERING!! :weep:

As if my day hasn't been bad enough, I can't sample my beloved Eagles!

Oh, wait - I just heard a bit of Glenn's :heart: voice on "Somebody" - it's stopped again :roll: . A little bit more... stopped again. Oh, I actually got two lines without interruption - yay! :roll: :roll:

My heart's already pounding at the sound of that voice. Ah, another line - another stoppage. HELP!!! I'm so jealous of all of you who've managed to listen to all these tracks! :jealous:

DonFan
10-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Nancy, I wondered why you were being so silent during this very exciting week--now I know why. The Stevie Nicks Soundstage gig sounds like fun. How did you manage to get tickets to that one?

It's funny that no one noticed that about the title of this thread before, SG!

Speaking of LROOE, I am still waiting to hear that until Tuesday. And it is so hard to wait....

Brooke
10-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I listened to the Capital Gold interview and hearing them talk about the songs really helps me. I think I will be much more positive about it now rather than listening to the new album cold. I don't know. That just really helped me. Sometimes with a new album, you (or I do) tend to skip songs that don't catch me right off the bat. And hearing all of the guys tell how they wrote it or the funny things that happened makes it seem more real. :D

10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Something funny I noticed: the title of this thread is "Long Run Out of Eden Preview" 8) However it doesn't seem to matter :wink:

OMG SG - Thanks for catching that! Geez - am I a creature of habit or what??? :wink: :wink:
Anyway, I went ahead and corrected it on the off chance that it confuses someone.

Re: The album preview - I enjoyed everyone's comments. I don't have time right now to comment on the songs, but suffice it to say that I absolutely LOVE the album. :shock: :D

Perfect Little Sister
10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Here's another site that's doing the preview MF. Perhaps it'll work better for you. Or go to your local radio station's website and see if they are participating in this. I just got a blog from the Eagles Myspace saying there are over 600 stations doing this online.

http://www.kfox.com/cc-common/news/sections/special/eagles.html

sodascouts
10-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Your reviews are all very interesting! I'm freaking out because I tried to listen to the new songs yesterday from the link and it just kept "buffering". So it wouldn't play anything! :cry:

I'm currently trying again, and this time I'm getting a few snippets of music (no vocals yet), with lengthy pauses in between. And it just keeps on BUFFERING!! :weep:

Sometimes, if you let the song play through in fits and starts and then start it again, it'll play all the way through. You might want to try it - hopefully it works!

sodascouts
10-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Nancy, I wondered why you were being so silent during this very exciting week--now I know why. The Stevie Nicks Soundstage gig sounds like fun. How did you manage to get tickets to that one?

It's driving me crazy. I'm not able to be as excited as I should be about Stevie because I'm so distracted by the Eagles. My friends think I'm crazy. ;)

I never intended to go to the Soundstage, just the Chicago gig this past weekend. The Soundstage is not open to the public. However, my industrious friends managed to get a pair of tickets through world Mastercard, the event's sponsor, that also included a meet'n'greet! I still didn't plan on going, though. I've already met Stevie at one of those things (three times, in fact).

Then, out of the blue, my friends get me a ticket, too. So here I am, in Chicago again, and it's insane. I love them, though. They worked hard to get me a ticket so we could all go. I've just got to put the Eagles out of my mind for an evening!

Brooke
10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
That's really cool, Soda! What great friends you have! 8)

I say forget the Eagles for a day or two (they aren't going anywhere!) and have fun seeing Stevie. :nod:

sodascouts
10-25-2007, 01:52 PM
That's really cool, Soda! What great friends you have! 8)

I say forget the Eagles for a day or two (they aren't going anywhere!) and have fun seeing Stevie. :nod:

I sure do! And believe me, once the lights come up and Stevie steps onto the stage, I will not be thinking about anything else but her fabulousness. ;)

DonFan
10-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Have fun, Nancy. Stevie is definitely someone who is Busy Being Fabulous, all right. :wink:

DonFan
10-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I finally, FINALLY heard a bit of How Long on our local country radio station, in the middle of a Walmart commercial touting the new album's release next week. I thought I would never hear it here!

Perfect Little Sister
10-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Dude! This is going to be one looooooong weekend. I just went to musictoday's site and it says my order has shipped!!!!!!!!
:blueblob: :blueblob: :blueblob: :blueblob: :blueblob:

Glennsallnighter
10-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Thats great PLS. My order won't be shipped from Amazon.co.uk until 11th November :(
I got another message from the official website today suggesting I order before the 'deadline'. :roll:
Why do they do this to me :?:

DonFan
10-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I got another message from the official website today suggesting I order before the 'deadline'. :roll:
Why do they do this to me :?:

We must've ALL gotten that message--I got it too.

Glenn's Girl
10-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I finally had a chance to listen to the stream of the album and I love it!!! They all sound great, and I love the shared vocals, reminds me of hte old Eagles! My favourite is What Do I Do With My Heart. Beautiful song! I also loved hearing Glenn's songs from Fallsview recorded. Wonderful! Another favourite is Busy Being Fabulous. Still love How Long of course!

sodascouts
10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
OK, I'm ready now to give my thoughts on the rest of the songs of LROOE.

You Are Not Alone From the moment I heard this in Niagara Falls, it struck me. The music, like the lyrics, is straightforward and comforting, and they complement each other perfectly. I don't know what it is about the arrangment and chording that makes them work so well with the emotion of the song - I just know they do. They make you feel all warm inside, even before he starts singing. The only thing I would change is less "do-do-do-do-do" at the end, but otherwise I love it.

Long Road Out of Eden I'm not as enamoured of this song as everyone else seems to be. I think it's overdone and could have used some trimming. The Middle Eastern instrumental bit goes on way too long. Yes, I know it's done for effect, but we could have gotten the effect in a lot less time! I mean it goes on for over a minute at the beginning! Once we get into the song, it's not so bad. The verse has an interesting progressive, almost trudging melody, but I think that fits the mood of the song. I like the way they sing the title line, I love the way Henley sings "I'd give anything to be there in your arms tonight," and I love the guitar solo - in fact, the guitar solo almost seems too good for this song. What do I mean by that? Well, I mean that a guitar solo of that quality shouldn't go into a Middle Eastern music solo, which drains it of all its energy, and then further down to Henley's plodding final verse. The only thing that saves the end for me is the guitar, really. Sorry!

I Dreamed There Was No War I am so impressed by the eloquence and expressiveness of this piece, simply because it always amazes me how a talented musician can make an instrumental "speak." Its poignant, mournful beauty evokes both hope and sadness, dream and disappointment, in a way that I find very moving. And all in a little over a minute.

Somebody (aka All Those Lies part 2! lol) This one is growing on me. At first, I was completely put off by the "creepy" voices Glenn does in parts of the song. However, those don't dominate the song, and after I got over those, I began to appricate it. It has a good beat and the bass line propels the song with an urgency that matches the "trapped" desperation of the lyrics, rushing towards inevitable doom as the lead guitar wails its minor chords.

Frail Grasp on the Big Picture I can't stand this song, I'm sorry to say. It's basically Henley preaching with a meadering and repetitive backing track. It's like they wrote off the melody as unimportant next to his "message" lyrics. The title line sounds like a "Fast Company" rip off. Sorry, the difference between a song and a sermon is musicality, which this is sadly lacking. In fact Henley's voice sounds downright unpleasant in parts, like he's smirking as he's singing, and as he goes on and on and on and on it just becomes tiresome. The only good lines: "Who left the cap off the freaking toothpaste? Whose turn to take the garbage out?" That made me laugh. The rest of made me roll my eyes. (BTW - Henley - if you're going to have a message song, ENUNCIATE CLEARLY. There are several lines where I can't even figure out what the words are.) Oh well, they can't all be winners.

Last Good Time in Town When I heard the snippets of this song, I was really excited. It was so catchy and melodic. I was a bit disappointed when I heard the rest of the song. It starts off pretty good, kind of funky, and then comes to a screeching halt with the "Lately I've been stayin' at home" / Glenn's whispering echoes (These echoes annoy me. I don't care if it's Glenn, they're annoying!) Then the song goes into that terrific chorus and all is well again. Basically, I like everything about the song except those bits, so it's enjoyable overall. In fact I had that chorus starting "And I dream I'm on vacation, 'cause I like the way that sounds..." stuck in my head all day a few days ago.

I Love to Watch a Woman Dance Some people have said this seems out of place on the album, and while I see what they mean, it's so gorgeous that I think we should overlook that. Again, more than anything else, the expressiveness of Glenn's voice makes this work for me. So romantic.

Business As Usual What Frail Grasp should have been - a song with both a message and a melody. I love that "soul-suckin'" part. It really energizes the song and keeps it from the repetitive monotony of Frail Grasp, as do the prominent guitar parts throughout the song. The dramatic rhythmic build-up to a full stop before "Business as Usual" is effective, too. Once again we run into message-song-without-clear-enunciation in parts, unfortunately, but otherwise I think it's a good song.

Center of the Universe A nice, mellow, pleasant song. Excellent harmonies, of course. The melody isn't the most interesting in the world; I love the "Oh, love..." parts but the first part of the verse and the title lines don't really strike me. Still, as I said before, it's pleasant enough. The instrumental parts are nice.

It's Your World Now I wasn't expecting such a Spanish-style song to be on the album, much less be the closer, but I like it. It doesn't stray much from that Spanish-style formula for the melody, but I do appreciate the significance of the lyrics and the sincerity of the vocal. I love the way he sings "I'd do it all again if I could, somehow." It's another good song that's not the best on the album, but is still strong. (BTW - does anyone else think that "no tears allowed" is a deliberate lyrical oppositional reference to 'No Fun Aloud'?)

Whew! That's it for me!

Freypower
10-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I'VE GOT IT!

I suddenly realised that I could get it today at either Sanity or Virgin so I rushed into town, went to Myer, a big department song, and it took about 5 seconds before I found it. They were playing Busy Being Fabulous. I was literally shaking when I took it to the counter. My copy has the photos of the four band members. The booklet is fine and is NOT hard to read.

I'm playing it now. I have to say that I don't think Busy Being Fabulous is as good as others think. I do like it though. However, What Do I Do With My Heart is utter, sheer, total perfection. He has not sung this well in a long time. The end when they both sing is not as overblown as I first thought. But Don enhances Glenn's lead. He doesn't take it over.

Regarding NMWITW I thought Don's voice was a bit too prominently mixed. I think it's beautiful but it will take time to grow on me.

GOTC isn't bad. I expected more from Joe though. Nice piano (I wish the credits were more informative).

I also bought Billboard with the wonderful cover photo which I will now scan. It had a wraparound ad for Matchbox Twenty which prevents you seeing the cover at first! It's worth it, believe me.

Freypower
10-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Further comments:

I disagree about the Middle Eastern music being too long or getting in the way in the title track. I also disagree that any of it is 'plodding'. The final verse sums it up brilliantly. I will also stick my neck out here and say that it MUST be Henley on drums here.

At the start of Somebody Glenn sounds like Don! It's fabulous, to coin a phrase. I said about him doing some of his best singing. I say it again, and also for YANA. He is extraordinary. I mean that. :blush: By the way, the track obviously echoes Somebody Else from The Allnighter. I bet that is Steuart doing the solo at the end.

I think Soda is very harsh on Frail Grasp. The music I don't consider 'meandering' at all. It's very funky. Listen to the guitar and bass. And these are some of Henley's most acerbic lyrics. Perhaps it's because I agree with Henley on politics and religion. I don't know. I think the song rocks.

sodascouts
10-29-2007, 12:08 AM
How cool that you got it already, FP! Awesome!

I've been listening to What Do I Do With My Heart and Waiting in the Weeds again and again. I can't get enough of those songs. They're the best of the bunch, I think, although there are lots of other strong songs.

Regarding Frail Grasp - the music starts out fine, but when Don starts singing it stops working. Don's just talking with a bit of a cadence, with some beats in the back and an occasional guitar note. Then there's the "fast company" chorus, which doesn't go very far. The song deteriorates further in the second verse, where Don seems to give up on rhythm and rhyme in favor of ranting to a beat. The use of organ music during the criticism of religion could not be more trite.

I admit the condescending nature of the song turns me off as well. It seems there might be worthier targets of Henley's "most acerbic lyrics" than fathers praying for their sons to play unhurt at a football game.

I will say that there are a couple good moments in the song. I like the way Don sings "journalism's dead and gone"; I like the instrumental interludes as I said above; I like that line about the toothpaste; the song does pick up a bit of energy at the end before it becomes repetitive. Otherwise....

Maleah
10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I totally agree about "Frail Grasp" Soda. I loved the bass and the guitar, but it does eventually sound like Don is just talking with the music. And it was funny to me that you compared it to Fast Company because as soon as the chorus started I thought it sounded exactly like that melody.

I also understand that Don is very critical of religion....and I won't repeat what I said about that before. But I agree with what you said about it.

sodascouts
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I feel like I'm harping too much on negativity above, so let me reiterate how much I love Waiting in the Weeds. It's magnificent. I think it's Henley's best work since The End of the Innocence. Gorgeous melody, evocative vocal, terrific structure - this could have been sing-songy, but instead it's a natural progression. That part about the county fair, the ferris wheel, and the flavor of the week is some of the best lyrical wordplay I've heard in a long time, and the fact that it's then that Henley takes it up a notch just emphasizes that. What inspired arrangement! The bit about spiders rebuilding their webs is another original and intelligent lyrical contribution. This is the kind of song that makes you appreciate just how talented Henley is. Beautiful - absolutely beautiful. It's definitely my favorite Henley song on the album and at this point I think it's in a tie for my favorite song off of the album, period.

DonFan
10-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Let me reiterate how much I love Waiting in the Weeds. It's magnificent. I think it's Henley's best work since The End of the Innocence. Gorgeous melody, evocative vocal, terrific structure - this could have been sing-songy, but instead it's a natural progression. That part about the county fair, the ferris wheel, and the flavor of the week is some of the best lyrical wordplay I've heard in a long time, and the fact that it's then that Henley takes it up a notch just emphasizes that. What inspired arrangement! The bit about spiders rebuilding their webs is another original and intelligent lyrical contribution. This is the kind of song that makes you appreciate just how talented Henley is. Beautiful - absolutely beautiful.

Well put, Nancy--you listed everything I love about this song. I absolutely adore it--I can't get enough of it. I love the part about the county fair too--the music echoes the type of music you might hear from the rides, and the Don's voice--gorgeous.

Unlike you, I love Glenn's growly voice on Somebody. It's unexpected and very effective on this spooky rocker.

I must be the only one who is actually waiting until tomorrow to hear LROOE. I had to save something special for my birthday release! :wink:

tbs fanatic
10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Just received an e-mail confirming that my CD is on its way - Yahoo! I can't wait :yay: :yay:

Freypower
10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
More thoughts. Loved Business As Usual. Centre (I'm sorry but I can't write 'Center') of the Universe will grow on me. Unfortunately I still don't really get Last Good Time In Town.

ILTWAWD - they can't take that away from me. :blush:

It's Your World Now is almost painful to listen to. It's too sad.

And I thought the organ in the 'religion' part of Frail Grasp was a perfect touch. I should leave it there, I suppose.

If I could have changed anything I would have had less 'optimistic McCartneyesque Glenn' and less 'pessimistic Lennonesque Don'. There is more to both of them, and yet when you listen closely...

sodascouts
10-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, It's Your World Now forces issues of finality and mortality that most of us would rather not think about. The other day, I was listening to the new album and looking at old pictures of the Eagles and that song came on... it made me kind of "verklempt."

I feel lucky that they've gone on this long, especially since I hopped aboard this train rather late.

JoeFan
10-30-2007, 03:58 AM
I've been listening quite a bit and now that I'm over the initial excitement... where is Joe on the harmonies? I am having trouble hearing him on anything but the songs on which he sings lead.

Mrs Frey
10-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Here's another site that's doing the preview MF. Perhaps it'll work better for you. Or go to your local radio station's website and see if they are participating in this. I just got a blog from the Eagles Myspace saying there are over 600 stations doing this online.

http://www.kfox.com/cc-common/news/sections/special/eagles.html

Thanks for posting this link for me, PLS, but unfortunately, none of the links I've tried have worked for me :weep: :weep: :weep: <sniff> :weep:.
My local radio station is not participating in it either. I don't even bother to listen to radio much these days, but it just so happens that my colleagues had the radio on yesterday for news of an event that was happening in the city, and I just about had a heart attack when I heard the newsreader mention that The Eagles were releasing their new album yesterday! :D I immediately "shushed" everyone up in the office (LOL!) just to take this announcement in. It's the first time I've heard ANYTHING about it locally! :roll: One of my colleagues asked me if I was having a "Frey" moment! :lol:

Mrs Frey
10-30-2007, 07:35 AM

Sometimes, if you let the song play through in fits and starts and then start it again, it'll play all the way through. You might want to try it - hopefully it works!

Thanks for this advice, Soda, but unfortunately, I may have got about 5 snippets of one song, if I was lucky! It just kept "buffering", and eventually didn't play at all :weep:. Sorry about all these tears, but I'm just really disappointed that I haven't been able to listen to any of the tracks, apart from "How Long".

All your reviews, discussions and opinions have been very interesting and thought-provoking, but I can't wait to listen and form my own opinions about the album. The Eagles have really touched my life over the last three years, and especially since February 2007.

Soda, you mention that you feel lucky that the boys have gone on this long, as you "hopped aboard this train rather late." I feel the same way. I still can't believe that it has taken me this long to get into The Eagles, given my preference for "retro" music. I suppose I was just never really exposed to them as much as I should've been. Late as you may have been, though, your website is responsible for making me the Eagles fanatic that I am today (oh yes, and HFO also played a role in that fanaticism! :wink: )

sodascouts
10-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Soda, you mention that you feel lucky that the boys have gone on this long, as you "hopped aboard this train rather late." I feel the same way. I still can't believe that it has taken me this long to get into The Eagles, given my preference for "retro" music. I suppose I was just never really exposed to them as much as I should've been. Late as you may have been, though, your website is responsible for making me the Eagles fanatic that I am today (oh yes, and HFO also played a role in that fanaticism! :wink: )

Always glad to be of service! ;)

Brooke
10-30-2007, 09:35 AM
What a great review on the new album, Soda! I just haven't really listened to the songs enough yet to form solid opinions. All I've done so far is gush! I do agree with a lot of your points and your's, too, Fp.

I heard on the radio this morning that the album wouldn't be on any of the charts because Wal-Mart doesn't report anything to them. Anybody know why? :?

EasyFeeling
10-30-2007, 09:42 AM
What a great review on the new album, Soda! I just haven't really listened to the songs enough yet to form solid opinions. All I've done so far is gush! I do agree with a lot of your points and your's, too, Fp.

I heard on the radio this morning that the album wouldn't be on any of the charts because Wal-Mart doesn't report anything to them. Anybody know why? :?

:rofl:
This is what I will be doing too when I get the album. :wink:

tbs fanatic
10-30-2007, 09:58 AM
I hope my CD arrives today. I've only heard Fast Company, How Long and Do Something so I am eager to get the CD and hear the rest. :D

Brooke
10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Here's another review from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-10-29-eagles-main_N.htm

I particularly thought this part interesting:

Henley is eager to start recording solo after the holidays, and Frey plans to make a big-band album in the spring. The Eagles will convene early in 2008 for their annual band meeting to mull the future. Nobody's in a rush. It's not as if the Eagles are going out of style.

Hmmmm. Big band album? :shock:

DonFan
10-30-2007, 02:15 PM
It is so nice to finally have the CD in my hot little hand! I listened to both CDs in order and Glenn's sequencing is perfect.

A few observations:

My favorite song, hands down, is Waiting in the Weeds. It is a masterpiece.

It has been funny to read some critics' comments about Do Something and Fast Company, since we have been listening to them for almost are year now and they are no longer "new."

I really like both of Joe's songs. They are upbeat and quirky and ideal for Joe. I feel the same way about I Don't Want to Hear Anymore--Timothy's voice sounds so poignant and wistful.

You Are Not Alone and I Dreamed There Was No War are both lovely--they are just too short! Iwanted them to go on longer.

Frail Grasp is another favorite. Unlike Nancy, the more I listen to this, the more I like it. The driving beat is infectious and the rhyming cadence of some of the lyrics are hysterical: "You keep rubbing that you’re gonna get a blister” "All waiting for that miracle elixir" and “You brought her here, so go ahead and kiss her.”
Not to mention the line everyone can identify with: “who left the cap off the freakin’ toothpaste?” I like the "soul-sucking" line in Business As Usual too--very clever.

It's Your World Now almost made me cry too!

I have played Somebody over & over as perfect mood music here on the eve of Halloween, with its references to tombstones & the Jack O'lantern moon.

And finally, I am waiting to write about the title track until I have listened to it enough time to feel comfortable commenting about it.

tbs fanatic
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
YAY! It finally arrived :yay: Cute t-shirt too. It is sort of a light tan (almost cream) with the picture that is on the back of the CD plus the title. It's great.

rcknalwys
10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
aw lucky you, tbs fanatic! I'm still waiting for mine. Tennessee's mail is sooooo slow! Listening to all the websites has been great, but nothing like holding the cd in your hands.

Freypower
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Here's another review from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-10-29-eagles-main_N.htm

I particularly thought this part interesting:

Henley is eager to start recording solo after the holidays, and Frey plans to make a big-band album in the spring. The Eagles will convene early in 2008 for their annual band meeting to mull the future. Nobody's in a rush. It's not as if the Eagles are going out of style.

Hmmmm. Big band album? :shock:

Excuse me while I kiss the sky (or skip the masquerade :wink: ). Now this might work. Can I offer some sage advice. You do something like this, you DEFINITELY drop the guitar (HA. Who am I kidding)?

I need an avatar called Stratocaster & Orchestra. :twisted: I thought IDTWNW sounded a bit like Mr Knopfler. Tell us more, Glenn.

Freypower
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I've been listening quite a bit and now that I'm over the initial excitement... where is Joe on the harmonies? I am having trouble hearing him on anything but the songs on which he sings lead.

JF, I thought I should reply to this. I haven't heard enough of it to know where he is either. He must do some harmonies but it might be hard to pick him out. He has never done as much as the other three.

sodascouts
10-30-2007, 07:16 PM
I think I'm going to put this big band news in Glenn's forum. It's pretty cool!

10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm really bombed because I pre-ordered two albums - one from Walmart and the other from the band's official site, and neither of them came today. That is the first time I've ever had this happen with a pre-order. I guess one or both of them should be here tomorrow. In any event, I'm listening to the CD on my pc as I'm perusing the board, so all is not lost. :wink:

As far as Joe's harmonies, I usually always have a hard time picking out his voice in Eagles songs - so this album is no exception. I can't even distinguish his voice in Seven Bridges Road.

I'm waiting to comment on the songs until I listen to them a few more times, but suffice it to say, I think this is a very strong album from start to finish. :applause:

JoeFan
10-31-2007, 03:55 AM
It's true that Joe has not often been a large part of the harmonies in the past. I suppose that his distinctive voice is not easy to blend.

Interesting Halloween theme for the board, I like it.

Sexy Girl
10-31-2007, 06:26 AM
The big band news sound really appealing to me - I can imagine Glenn doing this, and doing it extremely well.
He has proved to be a great entertainer more than once, and this would show his versatility one more time.

tbs fanatic
10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I can't make the chat party so I'll say my bit here -

Love it, love it, love it. I like all the songs but, of course, have some favorites. In no particular order -

Busy Being Fabulous
Waiting in the Weeds
Somebody - really, really like that one
I Don't Want To Hear Any More
Last Good Time In Town

I'm hoping to listen more carefully today as yesterday my family could NOT STOP interrupting my listening time :twisted:

Perfect Little Sister
10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
:hilarious: TBS! What is it with families? Have they no sense of priority? "Yes, yes, your brother is painting the walls with black shoe polish. Now hush, mommy's listening to the Eagles!" :wink:

tbs fanatic
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Exactly :D They just don't get it. :roll:

Freypower
10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Put it on the iPod and played it straight through. I went to the shopping mall and in two of the major music stores it was NUMBER ONE ON THE CHARTS! Hear that Irving? Australia still loves the band. I also bought Rolling Stone with the review and drawing of the band which I will scan.

After hearing it right through on the iPod I can make some more random observations.

I deliberately listened for Glenn's harmonies. I found it very gratifying that he sings some of the verses of LROOE with Don. He does the low parts. In fact a lot of his harmonies are 'low parts'. He is fairly prominent in LGTIT. I love the whispers. In COTU when he comes in after the first verse, it's a lovely moment. I feel that this is one of the 'Don and Glenn together' songs. Interesting that both this and the following track, IYWN, refer to 'gentle breezes'.

I'm afraid to say that IYWN made me cry, and I mean cry. I will have to work this out.

When WITW hits you it hits you. It is quite superlative, and beautifully sung. Don should be very proud of himself. (So should Steuart).

The title track is an absolute masterpiece and I think will probably become one of my top 10 Eagles songs.

FG and BAU are both Don 'rants' but are more palatable because the Eagles are singing with him. He was perhaps slightly more focused on what he had to say in FG. 'A barrel of monkeys/a band of renown/but business as usual/is breaking me down'. Interesting.

I am afraid that my three least favourite tracks are still GOTC, LGTIT and IDWTHAM. I cannot remember anything of IDWTHAM after hearing it except when he goes to falsetto.

NMCD has been re-recorded. The vocal is different. He sings 'those cloudy days/THEY make you wanna cry' and at the end it's not 'there's NMCD', just 'NMCD. During the sax solo you can hear more guitar work.

People who think ILTWAWD is schmaltzy or whatever are missing the point. It is actually sung pretty starkly, except in the last verse where he seems to succumb to her charms.

I think FC and DS are even better than I did when I first heard them. Hearing them in context makes so much sense.

More later probably. I don't want to always rave about Glenn's songs.

Maleah
11-01-2007, 12:08 AM
I cried too, FP, IYWN. It's a hard subject to think about. It's beautifully written and sung.

I actually really like GOTC and I like it more every time I hear it. It's one of those that I LOVE to listen to in the car.

I've actually really only listened to the first disc. Once I've listened to everything more in depth I'll offer up a deeper opinion :lol:

Mrs Frey
11-01-2007, 06:51 AM
:hilarious: TBS! What is it with families? Have they no sense of priority? "Yes, yes, your brother is painting the walls with black shoe polish. Now hush, mommy's listening to the Eagles!" :wink:

:lol: I love it, PLS! You and TBSF are so funny! I can identify completely!

Mrs Frey
11-01-2007, 06:57 AM
The big band news sound really appealing to me - I can imagine Glenn doing this, and doing it extremely well.
He has proved to be a great entertainer more than once, and this would show his versatility one more time.

SG, I couldn't agree with you more :nod: :nod: :nod:. Glenn's :heart: versatility is probably the main reason why I love listening to him so much. I am never bored with his vocal range and songs - he just fascinates me. Then he's a captivating performer too...

Mrs Frey
11-01-2007, 07:02 AM
More later probably. I don't want to always rave about Glenn's songs.

FP, you don't have to be conscious about raving about Glenn's :heart: songs. If they're worth raving about, why hold back? Your reviews, as well as everyone else's, has put me in such a state of anticipation - I just know I will not be disappointed in the album. Glenn :heart: is a superb artist, and he deserves all the raving that we offer him on this site. If more people around these (SA) parts had been raving about him, I would have discovered his magic years ago. That it's taken so long is one of my biggest regrets.

EasyFeeling
11-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Finally a bit of the excitement of the new album started here in Germany. On the German Amazon website it's on No. 2 for the most popular music. And our local radio station NDR2 is airing one song every hour the whole day. Tonight they will air a special because tomorrow it's released here. Oh, hopefully I will find my copy in the mail tomorrow. :pray:

DonFan
11-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Isn't it wonderful to have new music to discuss?

As I was listening to It's Your World Now, it dawned on me that this is the song that the Eagles will probably play at the end of their concerts now instead of Desperado.

sodascouts
11-01-2007, 03:48 PM
As I was listening to It's Your World Now, it dawned on me that this is the song that the Eagles will probably play at the end of their concerts now instead of Desperado.

I don't know - usually the closer is an old standard that'll have everybody singing along. I'd be very surprised if they change it to this or anything else that's not an immediately recognizable song. This has been the case for a long time - back in the 70s, they'd close with either Take It Easy, Tequila Sunrise or The Best of My Love. For HFO it was Take It Easy - then, in 2000, the Desperado tradition began and never stopped (probably because both Glenn and Don often closed with it in solo shows!)

We'll see!

sodascouts
11-01-2007, 04:27 PM
BTW, yesterday, I put on "Somebody" and played it a few more times as I drove around in the car to run errands... and before I knew it... I was rockin' out to it and really enjoying it. Guess I just needed a little time to absorb it!

tbs fanatic
11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh Soda, I have played Somebody a million times now - it rocks :D

Freypower
11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
That's how I feel about GOTC.

I'm wondering if each song needs its own topic because we are going to have a lot to say.

It would be too much of a quantum leap to start closing shows with IYWN. Desperado appears to be set in stone. Also do they want to have the entire audience in tears? The next time I listened to it I was OK, but it's one of those songs that will do that to me when I least expect it.

rosa
11-01-2007, 07:39 PM
O'k I found more songs I like on the new Cd ,No more Cloudy Days is fantastic ,Glenn Frey sounds wonderful, and Fast Company Rocks, Don Henley sounds fantastic ,this song remains me of Don Henleys Building The Perfect Beast.Of course I love Busy Being Fabulous and Waiting In the Weeds.

DonFan
11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Desperado almost leaves me in tears now.

Oh, well, they may not end with IYWN, but it may be close to the end. As Soda says, we'll see!

sodascouts
11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm wondering if each song needs its own topic because we are going to have a lot to say.

We could try it... although that's a lot of topics!

sodascouts
11-01-2007, 10:04 PM
O'k I found more songs I like on the new Cd ,No more Cloudy Days is fantastic ,Glenn Frey sounds wonderful, and Fast Company Rocks, Don Henley sounds fantastic ,this song remains me of Don Henleys Building The Perfect Beast.Of course I love Busy Being Fabulous and Waiting In the Weeds.

No More Cloudy Days is indeed beautiful. I haven't talked about it much because it's been around a while, but it's definitely a lovely song. I think Waiting In the Weeds is a favorite of almost everyone. It's amazing. Your comparison of Fast Company with BTPB is something I hadn't though of before! Interesting.

Maleah
11-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Maybe it could have it's own section? The new album I mean. That way the different song threads would be contained within.(?) It's up to you, just a thought :lol:

Maleah
11-01-2007, 11:41 PM
On the subject of the songs.......

I'm still listening to the first disc! I took it out briefly to listen to #2.....but I think I like #1 best. You all are probably going to think I'm nuts, but I honestly think that, at this point, GOTC is either my favorite song on the cd or at least in the top 3. It's hard because I really love BBF, HL, and WDIDWMH too! lol And WITW...DS.......ok I'll stop with the abbreviations of songs

sodascouts
11-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Maybe it could have it's own section? The new album I mean. That way the different song threads would be contained within.(?) It's up to you, just a thought :lol:

That's an idea, Maleah. I'll think about it.

Brooke
11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I'd love to discuss, but as of yet I don't have the cd! I know I can listen online, and I have some, but you would think they could have shipped so we would all have it by now. So much for ordering from the official site! :x

tbs fanatic
11-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Oh no, they didn't get it to you yet??? Hope it comes today.

11-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Brooke - I totally agree with you. I fully expected to receive my "pre-ordered" CD either this past Monday or Tuesday. I finally received the one I ordered from the official site in the mail yesterday (Thursday). I had made up my mind that if it had not arrived by then that I was going to be "officially" pissed. :wink: :wink: As I mentioned in another thread, I also pre-ordered one from Walmart, and I haven't heard a word from them as of yet - no email, no CD, no nothing. I'm thinking I should have just gone to Walmart and bought it on Tuesday.

sodascouts
11-02-2007, 12:10 PM
STILL don't have my preorder. I'm hoping it comes in the mail today. As I've said before, absolutely disgusting.

EasyFeeling
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I got it, I got it! :D :D :D OMG, it's GREAT. I'm listening to it for the first time NOT on the PC and I'm dancing around to Last Good In Town (when I'm not sitting here :wink: ). What a great song! And I love Busy Being Fabulous. And Somebody. Haven't heard the first disc yet, I'm stuck on disc 2. 8)

I have to correct myself: I've meant Business As Usual, not BBF. I mixed it up.

tbs fanatic
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
Ha! Yay for you. I take mine everywhere I go - different rooms in the house, driving -everywhere. I'm driving everyone crazy :lol:

EasyFeeling
11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, my mom just called me and asked if my CD has arrived. Today she went to the store and bought it. She's still listening to CD 1 and loves every song. What an excitement! :D :D

Brooke
11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
I went to Walmart last night and actually picked up the cd and looked at it! But I figured it would surely come today. Nope. :x

I thought surely they would have up posters and be promoting the Eagles. Nope. They had several of the new cd and several of the old ones and the box set, but nothing else. No fliers, no posters, no promotion whatsoever! Evidently there are no "promoters" of any kind in this walmart. They weren't promoting anyone else either. Not even Garth! :?

Hubby said I should have went ahead and bought another one. Hmmmmm.....maybe that's what they wanted us to do! :idea:

EasyFeeling
11-02-2007, 01:20 PM
That really is annoying, Brooke. As my mom said the CDs in the store were still packed in boxes and they don't have any promotion. :shock: But on the way home from work she saw a lot of billposting on the advertising pillars.

sodascouts
11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
I went to Walmart and looked to see what they have. They have a special cardboard display set up solely for Long Road Out of Eden at the front of the story, but some idiot stuck some retail crap in front of it so it's hard to see. I thought about moving it but employees were all around and I was scared to, lol. In the music section, there was another display that had a poster for the new album and held Long Road Out of Eden, other Eagles CDs, and then at the bottom unrelated CDs.

EasyFeeling
11-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I went to Walmart and looked to see what they have. They have a special cardboard display set up solely for Long Road Out of Eden at the front of the story, but some idiot stuck some retail crap in front of it so it's hard to see. I thought about moving it but employees were all around and I was scared to, lol. In the music section, there was another display that had a poster for the new album and held Long Road Out of Eden, other Eagles CDs, and then at the bottom unrelated CDs.

http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif
I think I have to check out our stores next week what's going on there.

rcknalwys
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
I checked out our local WM....sad to say, they are doing very little to promote the new cd. There are no displays, only a bin at the front behind the registers with it, combined with several other new releases. In the music section there are 2 strips above the bin that say "new Release by The Eagles" and nothing else. They aren't even playing How Long anymore. :cry:

Freypower
11-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Here is the Sydney Morning Herald 'review'. Well, it's sort of a 'review'. I haven't even heard of the other artist.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/a-fresh-breath-into-california/2007/11/02/1193619119427.html

This is typical of Bernard Zuel, who when he reviewed the Sydney show, lamented that the audience chose the Eagles instead of the Sex Pistols.
Poor, misguided fools. :evil:

rcknalwys
11-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the link, awful article, obviously not an Eagles fan.

sodascouts
11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
He manages to misspell both "Glen" Frey and "Lindsay" Buckingham to boot. :roll:

DonFan
11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I just received my Nov 15 issue of Rolling Stone, and there is another favorable mention of LROE on their New CD Review page. Under the heading "Buy These Now!" they wrote:

"The Eagles are pissed off at the war in Iraq and the record industry, but that didn't stop them from churning out the sugar-sweet ballads and mellow country-rock we've been missing in the twenty-eight years since their last album."

Short, sweet, and to the point.

DonFan
11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I began receiving the CMA Newsletter after I bought tickets to the CMA Awards, and this was on this week's email:

Billboard's Top 10 Current Country Albums
(Sales week ending 11/18/07)

1. Garth Brooks, Ultimate Hits
2. Eagles, Long Road Out of Eden
3. Carrie Underwood, Carnival Ride
4. George Strait, 22 More Hits
5. Taylor Swift, Taylor Swift
6. Reba McEntire, Reba Duets
7. Rascal Flatts, Still Feels Good
8. Sugarland, Enjoy the Ride
9. Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, Raising Sand
10. Trisha Yearwood, Heaven, Heartache & the Power of Love

Garth was the only one who could top them! :D And of course, Don also sings on the Number 6 album with Reba!

sodascouts
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
WOW, how freaking cool is that? Thanks DonFan!

Brooke
11-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Got an email from the official site today that LROOE is now available in vinyl, plus the deluxe edition. Vinyl? Am I understanding this right?

sodascouts
11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
That's for the collectors - the ones who have every other album in vinyl, and crave completion.

Brooke
12-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Well, I do have all the others....hmmmmm.

When was the last time anyone made an album in vinyl? I didn't know they made those anymore. Period. :?

glenneaglesfan
12-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Vinyl seems to be coming back here in the record stores, so it's a good marketing move. I will resist this, but I have just received the deluxe version and it's beautifully packaged, bound like a book, and with those extra photos Molly posted.

The Bomber
12-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I would buy vinyl if my turntable still worked.

rcknalwys
12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
I am SO disappointed in our local WalMart. I went yesterday to buy the deluxe edition and could not find it :( . No ads, nothing. I finally went to one of the salespeople and asked for it. She helped me look, and look and look. We finally found 1(!) copy, behind some off the wall artist's section. I know we are a small town, but I was shocked at the callous mistreatment of the deluxe edition. You would think there would be a bigger effort to sell this album since it is basically a WalMart exclusive. Anyways, I did buy the only deluxe edition available, and I love it. Granted, I now have 2 copies, but who cares? The pics alone were worth it.

Brooke
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
I have 2 local Walmarts, both supercenters, and neither of them have done anything to promote LROOE. They have several copies and some of the other cds, but no posters, single display or anything other than the cds themselves.

It's sac religious! jmo :wink:

Maleah
12-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Well, we still have the display up in the center aisle in front of electronics, with F1 playing on 6 tv's and all of the Eagles cd's, dvd's, and the box set lined up along the tv's. So far we have sold almost 1,000 of the LROOE cd!

sodascouts
12-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow! Thanks for the update, Maleah!

Maleah
12-03-2007, 10:39 PM
no problem! ;)

Perfect Little Sister
12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
My Walmart had a whopping 5 copies of the deluxe edition the other day. (I bought 2) :blush:

Brooke
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
My Walmart had a whopping 5 copies of the deluxe edition the other day. (I bought 2) :blush:

:shock: :rofl:

glenneaglesfan
12-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Your Walmarts seem to have got it right, Maleah and PLS. PLS, I'm sure you only bought two for Christmas presents! :wink:

Btw, I haven't had a chance to say how much I like your Christmassy sigs, Soda and Maleah!

Mrs Frey
12-06-2007, 06:44 AM
Wow. Well, I wish I could say that we have such a wonderful promotion going on in South Africa, but I do have two points of good news:

1) I saw a television advert for the album two nights ago! :yay: :yay: :yay: WOO HOO HOO!!! My father saw it the night before too (I was out).

2) The album is no. 14 on the charts of our largest music chain store, Musica, at the Cape Town V&A Waterfront branch (each branch has its own chart), which is also their largest branch. And this is WITHOUT promotion!!! :D :D :D

3) General Eagles product availability seems to have increased dramatically on these shores! :D :yay: :D

rcknalwys
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I returned to our local WalMart yesterday to see if they had anymore deluxe editions since I had already bought the only one a few days ago...and they didn't have any more. Nothing, nada. Not even a mention or promo anywhere to be found. GRRR, I think the Grinch has stolen Christmas! lol

glenneaglesfan
12-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I was very pleased to see our local Virgin store has LROOE at 6 in their chart, not bad after six weeks and in the hostile British environment. They had both versions available, and were also featuring the F1 dvd, Very Best of, HC and Greatest Hits. Eagles, the Brits love you!

Freypower
12-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I have been on iTunes today and the album is now available there. Interestingly you can only buy the title track with the whole album. Busy Being Fabulous is listed as a single too.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=268716198&s=143460

I don't know if this will work.

Maleah
12-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Your Walmarts seem to have got it right, Maleah and PLS. PLS, I'm sure you only bought two for Christmas presents! :wink:

Btw, I haven't had a chance to say how much I like your Christmassy sigs, Soda and Maleah!

thanks! :D