PDA

View Full Version : Beware of fake 'Glenn Frey' on Facebook!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2015, 10:27 AM
I woke up this morning to a friend request from "Glenn Frey". The pictures on the account were the same was those on his official page. I accepted the friend request because I thought it was a hoax by someone I might know and thought it amusing to play along. Right after accepting it, I got a message that said:

Thank you for liking my page , Support you showered on me, I hope you never stop listening to my music…you look so beautiful .
I sent you a request for a purpose, I have been busy with shows and many more, traveling, thank you all for the support and love, I appreciate. I'm looking for someone i can definitely trust cause i have got some few things I need to do and take care of without my management knowing about it so i need one of my loyal fan to handle this for me.

When I asked who it really was and pressed for answers, "he" unfriended me and blocked me. Using a different account, I went in and reported the page to Facebook and it seems to be gone now. I worry, because if they ever reactivate the account, we'll be friends again, it won't ask me. So I'll have to keep checking.

AlreadyGone95
08-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Yikes, that's scary! Hopefully, whoever did it was scared off by you asking questions and he/she won't try it again. I try ny darnedest to only accept friendship requests if I recognize the name. (I've had too many people from Russia(or somewhere like that) send me requests).

zeldabjr
08-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I got that FB request too...lol...I was leery...so I didn't respond...now I'm glad I didn't...creepy...

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2015, 12:42 PM
VA you have beaten me to it. I was out all day and was going to post a similar warning! Thanks

I got the same request. I friended this person. I didn't seriously think it was Glenn :heart: but I wondered perhaps was it his promotors revamping the After Hours site or something similar - or just an Eagles fan with a strange sense of humour. That would have accounted for them 'knowing' me.

However like VA I also got that message which immediately alerted me to caution. I was going to message back with some questions to verify his identity but I also thought that for someone as intelligent as Glenn :heart: and as good with the English language as he is it was a badly composed and shoddy message. I would say its a scam of some kind - probably a phishing attempt.
As VA says anyway the profile seems to be gone off FB, but if anyone else gets a message like this I would advise extreme vigilance. And obviously NEVER give anyone personal or banking details online anywhere. Its definitely not 'Our' Glenn :heart:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2015, 02:00 PM
I did seriously consider playing along and seeing what 'he' wanted from a loyal fan, but I wasn't up to playing the game. I hate to think about those who might have actually given whatever information was requested.

Facebook did reply to me that they received my report and are 'reviewing' it. Since the account is gone, I'm not sure what, if anything, they'll turn up.

DJ
08-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Having my own FB page and a Fan page for Randy, I've encountered a lot of strange people. They message weird stuff and I ignore all of it. I only accept people I know on my personal page and weed out the "strange ones on Randy's fansite.And I Never post personal or derogatory videos on my page or Randy's. It's settled down since I either report them to FB or I post a warning on my fan page. So much goes on behind the scenes of the internet I am seriously cautious. I guess it's a good rule of thumb not to trust anyone you do not know.

GlennLover
08-01-2015, 06:16 PM
I got the request too & immediately was suspicious. I looked at the "friends" on the page & saw VA & GA, but as there were few others I was still leery & didn't accept the request. Thanks, both of you, for the warnings & additional info.

Freypower
08-01-2015, 06:23 PM
I didn't get it.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2015, 08:54 PM
The good news is that Facebook took it seriously. Whoever started the account had inactivated it, but Facebook has pulled it completely pending 'verification'.

I really thought it would turn out to be someone I knew (or knew of), and was trying to figure out if I should remind whomever that Facebook frowns on accounts that pretend to be someone they're not. It never occurred to me that it would be a total fake, out to get something, and it should have. As you all say, one can't be too careful.

Glennsallnighter
08-02-2015, 04:25 AM
I did seriously consider playing along and seeing what 'he' wanted from a loyal fan, but I wasn't up to playing the game. I hate to think about those who might have actually given whatever information was requested.

My credit card was compromised earlier this year to the tune of about E5000 and ever since then I have been very cautious what information I give anyone. I have a feeling it happened via Paypal. I would say that that guy would have asked a 'loyal fan' to 'mind' or 'hide' money for him in turn for a percentage of it or a flat fee. Once you gave your account details to him he would have total access to your finances and would have helped himself to them. these phishing scams are generally Eastern European in origin and the way the English is written in this sounds exactly the way they speak - we have a lot of Eastern European immigrants here!
I keep getting emails from a person purported to be African wanting to use my bank account to 'hold' funds for him while he makes his way to Ireland. Again I am not gullible enough to believe him!! But there was an African couple in the bank one day recently who had lost a lot of money through one of these emails which they followed. The bank just told them 'If it looks too good to be true it probably is!'

So I guess all I'm rambling on about to say is whether this Glenn Frey person shows up again or anybody else, I would be very very cautious what information I would give him.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2015, 11:08 AM
It amazes me that the people who perpetuate these spam attempts don't go to the effort of using better English. It's almost always a dead giveaway. I'm glad they don't, however, but to me, it puts them in the ranks of stupid criminals. Perhaps not too stupid if it works with even one.

AlreadyGone95
08-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Well, considering the fact that alot of these spambots/people are from countries where English is not the native language, I can understand understand the not-so-good English. However, if you're imitating a person who is known for his writing (songwriting) in English, you might want to be able to form a proper, coherent sentence in English, :lol:.

I hope that this person doesn't try this again, or at least that no one falls for it, if they do.

Glennsallnighter
08-02-2015, 12:27 PM
I'd be surprised if they know any English at all. I'd say they use an online translator. But of course I would not say that they are any way stupid. These spammers make more in a day than many of us see in a lifetime!

AlreadyGone95
08-02-2015, 12:35 PM
I'd be surprised if they know any English at all. I'd say they use an online translator. But of course I would not say that they are any way stupid. These spammers make more in a day than many of us see in a lifetime!

You're probably right GA. Some of the email spam I get makes no sense. My uncle gets some that contain a paragraph or so of just random words, some of which do not exist!

They're smart, to do what they do. It's like telemarketers in a way. People hate you for doing it, but you do make good money doing it.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for all the warnings everyone. You definitely can't be too careful these days.

WalshFan88
08-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

I hadn't got that friends request but have had 3 "strange" requests in the last week where I know for a fact this person doesn't know me from adam, doesn't have any mutual friends, and isn't in any of the groups I am active in. I didn't report them, just deleted them. At least they weren't impersonating someone and if they were, they weren't well known! :hilarious:

I follow Glenn on his official FB page and sometimes I like unofficial pages for the band and the guys when it's clear it's a fan site.

There is a really dirty "Fake Glenn" on Twitter (TheGlennFrey) but it's made obvious it's not him in the bio section. But the not so great part is that they put GFO in the URL box! There is also a funnier humorous one called "NotGlennFrey" that is more lighthearted and funny.

DJ
08-02-2015, 07:35 PM
You're probably right GA. Some of the email spam I get makes no sense. My uncle gets some that contain a paragraph or so of just random words, some of which do not exist!

They're smart, to do what they do. It's like telemarketers in a way. People hate you for doing it, but you do make good money doing it.

I agree AG because they take people's $$ everyday. They usually prey on the elder which makes me very angry. I had several bank customers who were elderly and preyed upon. I tried everything I knew to make them understand that sending these people money was a huge scam. The ones I saw were coming out of Jamaica.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2015, 10:25 PM
There is a really dirty "Fake Glenn" on Twitter (TheGlennFrey) but it's made obvious it's not him in the bio section. But the not so great part is that they put GFO in the URL box! There is also a funnier humorous one called "NotGlennFrey" that is more lighthearted and funny.

Soda has requested, several times, that they remove it, but they have yet to do it.

AlreadyGone95
08-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I agree AG because they take people's $$ everyday. They usually prey on the elder which makes me very angry. I had several bank customers who were elderly and preyed upon. I tried everything I knew to make them understand that sending these people money was a huge scam. The ones I saw were coming out of Jamaica.

True. I feel bad for the elderly people who don't understand that people are trying to scam them.