PDA

View Full Version : What's next for the Eagles? Hotel California 40th tour? Residencies?

Funk 50
07-16-2015, 12:24 PM
TLR, I think you are asking if anybody plays steel guitar on BOML. I don't think so...I think Stueart plays slide guitar.

I agree, although I'm not 100% sure. I think Steuart plays the Pedal Steel parts on slide guitar.

I must reaffirm that I haven't attended a HOTE Eagles show although I've seen the band live numerous times, Despite the inclusion of a few obscurities, the HOTE set list has included more Eagles hits than any of their previous tours.

If the band are influenced by the audiences reaction to the tracks they play, will their next tour keep the rarities and maybe play one or two more or will they drop the rarities and stick to playing their major hits?
I am assuming. of course, that they change the set list, bringing back some solo hits or adding newer material.

Personally, I think, in the internet age, all songs are. pretty much. equal to a new audience. Who cares which songs were hits 40 years ago.

I get the impression that, even the biggest Eagles fans here, discovered them post HFO, long after their hits became hits. :?:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 01:15 PM
I agree, although I'm not 100% sure. I think Steuart plays the Pedal Steel parts on slide guitar.

I must reaffirm that I haven't attended a HOTE Eagles show although I've seen the band live numerous times, Despite the inclusion of a few obscurities, the HOTE set list has included more Eagles hits than any of their previous tours.

If the band are influenced by the audiences reaction to the tracks they play, will their next tour keep the rarities and maybe play one or two more or will they drop the rarities and stick to playing their major hits?
I am assuming. of course, that they change the set list, bringing back some solo hits or adding newer material.

Personally, I think, in the internet age, all songs are. pretty much. equal to a new audience. Who cares which songs were hits 40 years ago.

I get the impression that, even the biggest Eagles fans here, discovered them post HFO, long after their hits became hits. :?:

Unfortunately, I'm far too old to claim I didn't begin following them until post-HFO. :( There are definitely quite a few here that do fall into that category, that's for sure.

Funk 50
07-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Sorry VA, I omitted the words "some of" :doh:

I get the impression that, even some of the biggest Eagles fans here, discovered them post HFO, long after their hits became hits.

Do you think they'll drop some former hits or some of the more obscure tracks to change up future live set lists?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Sorry VA, I omitted the words "some of" :doh:

I get the impression that, even some of the biggest Eagles fans here, discovered them post HFO, long after their hits became hits.

Do you think they'll drop some former hits or some of the more obscure tracks to change up future live set lists?

To be quite honest, I think they'll go back to what we fondly refer to as the festival set list. It includes some of Don's solo songs as well as Seven Bridges Road and How Long. I would love for them to mix it up and keep it somewhat unpredictable. Of course, what I would really love is the ability to keep seeing them perform DD/D Reprise.

Brooke
07-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Well, I've been a fan of theirs since 1972, so I'm a 'seasoned' fan. I think they'll go back to a shorter set list of their hits. I wish they would keep some of the more obscure songs, but I just doubt it given their history.

I don't think they should add Don H's solo songs back in or anyone's for that matter. If they do any solo shows, and surely they will, we can hear them then.

Funk 50
07-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the Eagles experimented with the shortened set list plus a support act, a couple of tours ago and quickly returned to the 3hrs, no support, format.

They've got a back catalogue that supports a lengthy set list. They've got 4 lead singers, 5 if you include Bernie and an able backing band so I hope they'll do the 3hr set list until they stop. That would give them every chance to be more adventurous with their set list choices. :)

thelastresort
07-19-2015, 09:16 AM
I learnt the answer to my question a long time ago when I saw them live - it is Steuart who plays the steel pedal parts on what I think is his usual electric guitar of choice.

As for the future, I anticipate them dropping the rarer cuts for solo pieces again. I suspect the deep cuts that made the HOTE setlist were there not necessarily because the guys wanted them, but because they were bound by the history element.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-19-2015, 11:33 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I do fear they will drop most of the deep tracks they are doing on this tour and return to a shortened set list. Otherwise, there's no reason to change. They could easily continue another year or even two with the History of the Eagles tour. There are a lot of markets that they didn't go to on this tour that they've visited in the past i.e. they did nothing in the Eastern Hemisphere except Europe and Australia.

Eagles4EverFan
07-30-2015, 10:10 PM
What was the last tour prior to the HOTE tour? I'm hoping that once they do their own individual tours, they will want to come back together and visit some of the cities they missed.

Freypower
07-30-2015, 10:20 PM
What was the last tour prior to the HOTE tour? I'm hoping that once they do their own individual tours, they will want to come back together and visit some of the cities they missed.

The previous tour was from 2008-2010 & was called the Long Road Out Of Eden tour which supported the album of the same name the band released in late 2007.

Eagles4EverFan
07-31-2015, 12:07 AM
The previous tour was from 2008-2010 & was called the Long Road Out Of Eden tour which supported the album of the same name the band released in late 2007.

Thank you:thumbsup: So given that they are 66, 67, 68-ish now and in two or three years... It sounds unlikely perhaps. But on the other hand, we can hope, right?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 07:46 AM
Thank you:thumbsup: So given that they are 66, 67, 68-ish now and in two or three years... It sounds unlikely perhaps. But on the other hand, we can hope, right?

Between 2010 and July of 2013 they played shows here and there. Fairly often in Las Vegas, and other places as the mood struck them, including a string of shows in South Africa as well as places like China, Japan, etc. I think it most likely they'd continue to do these kinds of shows, and avoid the grueling schedule of an all out tour.

NightMistBlue
07-31-2015, 09:03 AM
If they decide to do a residency at some point, I wonder if they'll get more adventurous with the setlist, given that most people who would travel to see them are more hardcore fans. Presumably, there would be fewer of the "I only know the hits" type.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2015, 09:13 AM
I don't know, a place like Vegas, people travel there for other reasons as well. Plus, if they're only doing shows here and there, I can't see them putting in a lot rehearsal time.

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 11:27 AM
I've wondered if they might tour for the 40th anniversary of Hotel California. Alot of bands have been doing it. It'd be cool to hear the entire HC album from start to finish(generally that's bands do on that kind of tour).

If they ever decide to do a residency, I hope that they film it for a dvd!

NightMistBlue
07-31-2015, 12:02 PM
The tricky thing about performing HC in its entirety would be the Randy-Timothy issue. Who would perform "Try and Love Again"?

Freypower
07-31-2015, 05:52 PM
If they decide to do a residency at some point, I wonder if they'll get more adventurous with the setlist, given that most people who would travel to see them are more hardcore fans. Presumably, there would be fewer of the "I only know the hits" type.

I am completely opposed to a residency, but then I don't live in the United States. If they do tour again they need to change the setlist. It is a problem for them because their catalogue is so small. I think they need new material.

As for them performing HC in its entirety I don't think that would work. All of those songs except for TALA have been performed in the past. When they did WT & TLR in HFO the show just ground to a halt (in my view). Who would sing TALA? Surely Glenn, given that he only has one other lead vocal on the album & his voice is more suited to it than Tim's. But I can't see it happening. I don't see it as an album that cries out to be performed this way.

Funk 50
07-31-2015, 06:01 PM
If Glenn can sing Take It To The Limit, I don't see a problem finding somebody to sing Randy's Try And Love Again. Obviously Randy should get first refusal but there's much more to Try And Love Again than Randy's lead vocal, as great as it is.

I'd prefer the guys taking a verse each or even someone from the backing band singing it, rather than it being unplayed or the whole idea, of performing the entire Hotel California album, being ditched. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the iconic album's 40th birthday.

No doubt about it, it's the moment that the Eagles achieved their potential.

Freypower
07-31-2015, 06:08 PM
If Glenn can sing Take It To The Limit, I don't see a problem finding somebody to sing Randy's Try And Love Again. Obviously Randy should get first refusal but there's much more to Try And Love Again than Randy's lead vocal, as great as it is.

I'd prefer the guys taking a verse each or even someone from the backing band singing it, rather than it being unplayed or the whole idea, of performing the entire Hotel California album, being ditched. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the iconic album's 40th birthday.

No doubt about it, it's the moment that the Eagles achieved their potential.

??????

As long as Glenn Frey doesn't sing it, you seem to be saying. Seriously. :scowl:

I have alreayd stated that I don't believe this will ever happen but if it's to be talked about I at least prefer to keep it vaguely realistic.

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 06:21 PM
Well, to make it a full show (say at least 15 songs), they'd have to play some of their other songs. I'm sure that PEF, TIE and Lyin Eyes would be played. When Def Leppard did their Viva Hysteria residency in Vegas, they played the Hysteria album, then played their other hits, Photograph, Rock of Ages etc.

As for who would sing TALA, I don't know. Glenn seemslike the logical choice because he now sings TITTL. I think that Timothy could do a great job as well. The guys each singing a verse? I think that would be cool and unique, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MaryCalifornia
07-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Any one of the 4 current Eagles could sing TALA just fine and it would be awesome to hear :partytime:

NOLA
08-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Well, to make it a full show (say at least 15 songs), they'd have to play some of their other songs. I'm sure that PEF, TIE and Lyin Eyes would be played. When Def Leppard did their Viva Hysteria residency in Vegas, they played the Hysteria album, then played their other hits, Photograph, Rock of Ages etc.

As for who would sing TALA, I don't know. Glenn seemslike the logical choice because he now sings TITTL. I think that Timothy could do a great job as well. The guys each singing a verse? I think that would be cool and unique, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Exactly what I was thinking, AG! And, I feel that Glenn would do an outstanding job with the song as he did with TITTL.

Funk 50
08-01-2015, 01:09 PM
The difference between Try And Love Again and Take It To The Limit is that Glenn and Don had a hand in writing Take It To The limit, Try And Love Again, is credited to Randy alone.

It is an Eagles song, though and if the next tour is to commemorate the 40th anniversary of their greatest achievement, they'd be obliged to find a way to perform it, with or without Randy.

The album lasts about 40 minutes which leaves two, or so, hours to perform whatever they want during the rest of the show.

all eagles
08-01-2015, 01:45 PM
[quote=Funk 50;307071]The difference between Try And Love Again and Take It To The Limit is that Glenn and Don had a hand in writing Take It To The limit, Try And Love Again, is credited to Randy alone.

I guess I misunderstood Glen. I thought he said "we" wrote it for Randy.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2015, 02:02 PM
[quote=Funk 50;307071]The difference between Try And Love Again and Take It To The Limit is that Glenn and Don had a hand in writing Take It To The limit, Try And Love Again, is credited to Randy alone.

I guess I misunderstood Glen. I thought he said "we" wrote it for Randy.

In concert, Glenn says they wrote it with and for Randy. TITTL, that is.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-02-2015, 10:20 PM
I also think it is highly unlikely that the band would do a 40th Anniversary Hotel California tour, but who knows ... they have surprised us before. However, if they were to do it, I agree that if they perform all the other songs off of the album, then they should also include Try and Love Again. I personally think Tim's voice is best suited to sing the song, but Tim may not want to perform it. He wasn't around during the recording of the album and, obviously, he didn't have any part in writing it. Glenn would seem like the next best choice, but they would have to lower the register as they have done with Take It To the Limit. These are some pretty talented guys so I'm sure they could make it work if they really wanted to. :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
08-04-2015, 12:52 PM
They could do a video tribute of Randy performing "Try and Love Again." Or a hologram, but I don't think they would spring for that. Too flashy.

Funk 50
08-04-2015, 01:25 PM
I'd much prefer one of the guys singing it live. NightMistBlue.

In the future we may get a hologram tour of the Eagles singing all their hits in their prime years. I don't think I'd even be interested in that although the ticket prices should be favourable.

My brother thought the U2 hologram concert was fantastic.

UndertheWire
09-30-2015, 02:02 PM
A british newspaper asked Don Henley about playing Glastonbury.

The Eagles – who have lately been joined on stage by founder member Bernie Leadon for the first time since 1975 – are continually being linked to the possibility of a swansong performance at Glastonbury (http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/glastonbury-festival)– and Don says he would be up for playing the festival.
“I always love playing in the UK and I’d love to come over there. It is the land of my ancestors,” he says.
“But up to now it has never been logistically possible. It’s quite expensive to cart around a large band and crew.
"So if we did Glastonbury I would have to be in the vicinity or already on tour. I would like to do it but I just don’t know what I’m going to be doing next year or the year after that.”http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/music-legend-don-henley-new-6542072

Of course, they were in the UK around the time of the Glastonbury festival in 2014. But reading this again, maybe he's saying he'd be open to playing at the festival as a solo artist.

sodascouts
09-30-2015, 08:56 PM
It probably won't be anytime soon, but one never knows!