PDA

View Full Version : Glenn rumored to act in Broadway play!

sodascouts
10-29-2007, 12:54 PM
According to an interview with Don (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/music/article/0,2792,DRMN_54_5733892,00.html), Glenn will be doing a stint on Broadway! Sally of Rockphiles (http://www.rockphiles.com) did some research and discovered it is probably the musical Chicago, and the role is probably Billy Flynn.

BTW, does anyone else think that Don sounds a pit pissed off at Glenn in this interview? There's several "I didn't want to do this but I was overruled by Glenn" type comments. Hopefully they will continue to work together in the future at some point despite the tensions (ie TOUR).

DonFan
10-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Nah, I think it is just more of the usual Don-Glenn dynamic.

Loved the comment about how Glenn wanted to play the new songs before people got too drunk & rowdy to listen to them. The voice of experience!

Now, back to the "mothership." Beam me up, Scotty! :wink:

Freypower
10-29-2007, 06:42 PM
WHY does Don have to say things like 'I wish some songs had been removed' and 'I wish it had been a single disc'. I don't know which songs he didn't want, and frankly I don't want to know. 'Some of the band members had a lot of songs and wanted them on there'??? Joe and Tim have two each. Does he mean those? Or does he mean Glenn's songs? Surely he understands that an 'Eagles' album has to have more songs than those sung by him? Talk about suddenly putting an end to the excitement. I have the album playing at the moment and all I can think is 'Don didn't want all these songs released'.

Doing 'Chicago' is a massive, massive gamble. I don't get it. Apart from anything else, it would mean having to get on a stage without a guitar to hide behind, wouldn't it? He has never done anything like this in his life.

DonFan
10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Well, I know that Don and Glenn are both immensely talented men who are intimately involved in every minute detail of each Eagles album, so they are bound to have many conflicting opinions. We hear more of Don's viewpoint on different matters because he gives more interviews.

And personally, I think the news about Glenn taking to the stage is terrific. Don Johnson is playing the Billy Flynn role on stage in London, and he & Glenn have a friendship that goes way back to the Miami Vice days--maybe he told Glenn how much fun it is. I know Glenn has never done anything like this before, but more power to him! Go for it, Glenn!

sodascouts
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I kind of grimaced at a couple of those comments, like where he states that his political material balances out all the "sappy romantic stuff." I agree with you, FP, that there is more to it than these stereotypical roles. Both men have shown they are capable of moving beyond that. Indeed, I think they do in some ways on this very album, but for some reason, Don wants to encourage the stereotype here. I think he was probably just in a bad mood.

But, as DonFan says, that's always been the way of it - creative tension. I do appreciate that Don is taking the trouble to do so many interviews.

I think Glenn is doing Broadway precisely BECAUSE he's never done anything like it before. He wants to challenge himself, IMHO. That's the reason for his obsession with golf, I think. It was a new world to conquer.... and so is the stage.

Freypower
10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
He comes across as a dilettante while Mr Serious Songwriter talks about doing THREE new solo albums.

There was also the stuff about how Don produced 'his' stuff and Glenn produced 'his' stuff. The 'sappy romantic' stuff is grist to the mill for people who only think Don's songs have any importance. I think this is extremely unhelpful at the moment. I really think we could have done without this. Even if Don was in a bad mood he could have talked about the 'other' songs with a shade more grace.

sodascouts
10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Well, it wasn't the ideal interview, no. I am glad Don is doing more solo albums, though. Judging from Waiting in the Weeds, the well has by no means run dry. Maybe he'll tour solo again. Wish Glenn would do the same! I'm a demanding wench. ;)

Mrs Frey
10-30-2007, 07:41 AM
I look forward to going into the link for Don's interview you provided, Soda (time escapes me now :( ), but I just wanted to say that I think it's great that Glenn :heart: is trying a new type of venture. At the same time, though, I feel sad that this will probably delay any plans that the Eagles may have to tour to promote their new album. Oh, gosh, how I hunger to see them live. On the plus side, however, it gives me more time to save money to see them! :wink:

Brooke
10-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I am shocked at the way Don talked in that interview! I can't believe he would go on record and say the things he said. Good grief! I hope the rest of the guys didn't hear that. No wonder they need a break! Honestly, he didn't have to say those things. :?

My local radio station was talking about the interview this morning and he said if they were thinking of doing a "Grumpy Old Men #3" that they would know where to go for a lead character! :rofl:

Perfect Little Sister
10-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Doing 'Chicago' is a massive, massive gamble. I don't get it. Apart from anything else, it would mean having to get on a stage without a guitar to hide behind, wouldn't it? He has never done anything like this in his life.

He wouldn't need the guitar to hide behind here as he would be "hiding" behind the character he's playing. If these rumors prove true, I"m thrilled for Glenn. He'll have a blast. If only I could catch a show.

Freypower
10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I wish I could share your enthusiasm. Perhaps the costume designer can make a change. All the men have to wear open shirts over T shirt and jeans. Failing that, silver suits. :?

As for Don I tried to hear his voice saying 'sappy romantic stuff' with that quizzical smile on his face. Unfortunately after reading it I could not play the album yesterday. I have it on in the car now. I have to make my own mind up about these songs.

sodascouts
10-30-2007, 07:02 PM
FP, I understand you are not pleased with Don's comments, but allowing it to affect your enjoyment of the album?! What does his opinion have to do with that? You don't even know which songs he wanted to leave off!

This Broadway character, I believe, wears a suit, but why are we even talking about this? Glenn looks very good now, with or without the overshirt. Do you think he wears a guitar solely to hide a bit of pooch? And even if he were a tub of lard, that wouldn't affect his ability to play a part well. He's got more going for him than his looks, although those don't hurt. ;)

Glenn can sing and he can act. He's never had to do both before, and certainly not live, but that's part of the challenge. I'm confident he'll be up to it, and I admire his guts to try it.

Freypower
10-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I was being sarcastic because I don't wish to seem as if I think Glenn is beyond criticism. I have to be sceptical about this because it's such a change for him. I didn't mention his weight. That he will look alright goes without saying. That isn't the issue.

I only allowed Don's comments to affect me yesterday. Now 'yesterday's gone', Soda. You should recognise that. :wink:

sodascouts
10-30-2007, 07:28 PM
I was being sarcastic because I don't wish to seem as if I think Glenn is beyond criticism. I have to be sceptical about this because it's such a change for him. I didn't mention his weight. That he will look alright goes without saying. That isn't the issue.

Aw, who cares if people think you don't criticize Glenn enough. Just say what's on your heart. Anybody who doesn't like it can take a flying leap.

I only thought the shirt comment was about weight since that's the purpose of those things - to hide pooch! lol

I only allowed Don's comments to affect me yesterday. Now 'yesterday's gone', Soda. You should recognise that. :wink:

ZING! ;)

Maleah
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
They actually announced this on my radio station today. They also called Don "Mr. Personality" sarcastically. lol

When Don says that his political songs balance out the sappy love songs, I didn't take the sappy comment as an insult. After all, he co-wrote "What Do I Do With My Heart" and "Do Something" didn't he? Most people take love songs to be sappy......at least that's the way I took it.

there does seem to be a bit of tension however. I'm more concerned with the fact that I'm very disappointed over the lack of much Joe in this album :(

Mrs Frey
11-01-2007, 01:33 AM
FP, I understand you are not pleased with Don's comments, but allowing it to affect your enjoyment of the album?! What does his opinion have to do with that? You don't even know which songs he wanted to leave off!

This Broadway character, I believe, wears a suit, but why are we even talking about this? Glenn looks very good now, with or without the overshirt. Do you think he wears a guitar solely to hide a bit of pooch? And even if he were a tub of lard, that wouldn't affect his ability to play a part well. He's got more going for him than his looks, although those don't hurt. ;)

Glenn can sing and he can act. He's never had to do both before, and certainly not live, but that's part of the challenge. I'm confident he'll be up to it, and I admire his guts to try it.

Highlight 1: Pooch? What pooch? I don't see any pooch on Glenn :heart:. After having seen several pictures of him from the last four years or so, he's trimmer now than he was four years ago. That tummy is so nice and flat! :sigh: By the way, we call it "paunch" over here :wink:.

Highlight 2: Absolutely, Soda, I couldn't agree more. I find it quite unbelievable sometimes just how talented Glenn :heart: is, and to be blessed with such beautiful looks as well... :sigh: They just don't make 'em like that anymore! :wink:

I still haven't got round to Don's interview, but I will, I promise! :D

Mrs Frey
11-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Okay, I have finally read Don's interview :scowl:. Well, I'm going to add my 10c worth to the opinions already expressed:

Frankly, I am disappointed. With Don's wealth of experience in the music industry, he should know by now that POSITIVE ENERGY is all important when one promotes one's new album. The idea is to ENCOURAGE the public to buy it - not only existing Eagles fans, but people who haven't been exposed to their music before, who might just become fans. A lot of young people are turning to "retro" music now, as they are disillusioned with the conveyor belt mediocre offerings that are overwhelming the airwaves.

I got the impression, when Don mentioned that he thought the album should have been a single disc, and that there were songs included that he didn't want on the album, but that he was overruled, that he was saying, "If this album is not well received, don't blame me."

As for the "sappy love songs" comment, there are many people who enjoy romantic songs as well as more "serious" social commentary type songs - I am one of them. However, a beautiful melody, sweeping arrangement and gorgeous vocals on a love song will get my vote anyday over a tuneless social commentary song with awful vocals. When it comes to music, my primary concern is how it SOUNDS. IMHO, sophisticated lyrics are secondary to great melodies, great instrumentation and beautiful vocals. Sometimes a song with simple, yet heartfelt lyrics can touch one far more than a so-called "deeper" piece of music.

Good grief, this takes me back to the time when John Lennon and Paul McCartney went solo, and Paul came under so much fire for his "silly love songs", as opposed to John's more "serious" songs. As much as I love John Lennon, I think Paul was far more melodious in his solo career, while John, by his own admission, was becoming too political, with too many ranting vocals and lyrics and minimum musicality.

When I finally get a chance to listen to this album, Don's comments are in fact only going to make me pay more attention to Glenn's :heart: songs. Yes, I love Glenn Frey, but his music deserves my attention, as well as the public at large. Glenn :heart: has also had his stabs at social commentary in his solo work, for example "Smuggler's Blues", "I've Got Mine" and "He Took Advantage". Not only are the lyrics excellent (particularly "Smuggler's Blues"), but the tunes, instrumentation and vocals are very strong. Glenn :heart: is as important an artist as Don is, and people need to ignore negative comments and just listen to the music, which is what I will be doing.

Freypower
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
All I want to say here is that on this board I think we are appreciative of both Glenn's and Don's talents. I also get annoyed when Glenn is criticised for choosing to write love songs and ballads, but the point is his more intimate songs balance Don's more grandiose statements. The Eagles need both. Preference for one of them is fine but it entirely misses the dynamic of the band. I suppose I would have been slightly happier if Glenn had done one more uptempo song which wasn't about a relationship but he chose not to for reasons best known to himself. It depresses me to see the way his songs are so casually dismissed but that is the way some music fans are.

I have to say that I am deeply grateful to Glenn on this album for allowing me to hear his voice at its absolute best. I will always have that. That's just a personal thing for me. I'm grateful for Don's songs too as I think they are among his best, but I can balance the two, or at least I hope that I can.

Regarding the Lennon - McCartney comparison, yes, Paul was more 'melodious' but after Band On The Run his music became more trivial with each album. There was a brief renaissance with the Tug Of War and Flowers In The Dirt albums. That isn't true for Glenn. He did a few very minor songs but he never descended into pointless trivia, in my opinion.

Mrs Frey
11-02-2007, 06:58 AM
All I want to say here is that on this board I think we are appreciative of both Glenn's and Don's talents. I also get annoyed when Glenn is criticised for choosing to write love songs and ballads, but the point is his more intimate songs balance Don's more grandiose statements. The Eagles need both. Preference for one of them is fine but it entirely misses the dynamic of the band. I suppose I would have been slightly happier if Glenn had done one more uptempo song which wasn't about a relationship but he chose not to for reasons best known to himself. It depresses me to see the way his songs are so casually dismissed but that is the way some music fans are.

I have to say that I am deeply grateful to Glenn on this album for allowing me to hear his voice at its absolute best. I will always have that. That's just a personal thing for me. I'm grateful for Don's songs too as I think they are among his best, but I can balance the two, or at least I hope that I can.

Regarding the Lennon - McCartney comparison, yes, Paul was more 'melodious' but after Band On The Run his music became more trivial with each album. There was a brief renaissance with the Tug Of War and Flowers In The Dirt albums. That isn't true for Glenn. He did a few very minor songs but he never descended into pointless trivia, in my opinion.

Highlighted text: I agree with you completely, FP. It's The Eagles' versatility that is probably their strongest point, IMHO.

Although I'm a big McCartney fan, I do not have all of his solo output. I have heard some of the material from the albums I do not have, and I admit that I'm not a big fan of all his music, just as I'm not a fan of all John Lennon's music. They were both brilliant songwriters, but not all of it was good. Given Paul's output, it probably stands to reason that it can't all be good.

Glenn :heart: hasn't released quite as much solo work as Paul, but unlike Paul, has probably not done so as he wanted whatever he put out to be the best of him. I've gathered that Don's painstaking approach to songwriting and recording indicates that he sees things in the same way. Quality instead of quantity.

I am now fortune enough to own all Glenn's :heart: studio albums (I've just got "Soul Searchin'", thanks to a very kind friend :hug:), and I can honestly say that there isn't one song on any of the albums that I don't like. There are perhaps songs that aren't very strong, but his music is ALWAYS pleasing to the ear. I can understand, FP, why hearing Glenn's :heart: voice at its best is so important to you, as his voice is really something special. It's beautiful, powerful and versatile, and I agree with you that he should do more uptempo music with The Eagles. His solo uptempo music is thrilling to me.