PDA

View Full Version : Don's Wikipedia Picture

Fleurette767
08-11-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure if this should go in the Don's Hotness Thread or here, but what do you think about the picture atop Don's Wikipedia picture? Can I say I HATE that picture? If you could have that picture changed to something else, what would it be? I wonder how one would go about having it changed LOL.

AlreadyGone95
08-12-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm not fond of it myself. It makes Don seem really smug and it doesn't appear to be a good high quality photo. The other guys all have better photos that make look good/great.

I'm not sure what I'd change it to. Possibly one of the new Cass County photos.

Fleurette767
08-13-2015, 10:29 AM
It's so bad, so uncharacteristic, it's almost funny. Thanks for the precise word because there was something about that picture, yeah, it makes him look smug. Also, his hair looks fake, like a toupee or something. I kinda posted this tongue-in-cheek since I think many of us think Don is as handsome as he is a great singer and writer. The caption states the picture is from Farewell I Tour. I can think of 100s of pictures of Don in the past decade that reflect him better.

Basically I went onto the site a few months ago to just quick check something (Don's initial college) and saw that monstrosity. That's what I get for not having his biography memorized. :hilarious:

Brooke
08-13-2015, 01:03 PM
I have to say I don't like it either, but what to do? Just don't go there I guess! :lol:

AlreadyGone95
08-13-2015, 01:07 PM
I've only been to Don's wiki page a few times, before I joined this site. Now, I just look on DHO. :)

ETA: I realized that I accidentally put DFO by mistake. :blush:. Glad that I caught that.

jms18222
08-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Well perhaps if he smiled a bit more often there would be a more flattering photo.:partytime:

sodascouts
08-13-2015, 03:41 PM
I know how to change it, but I need someone to volunteer a photo that they took. You need the image that you upload to be copyrighted to you (or a friend who allows it ;) ).

Fleurette767
08-13-2015, 04:50 PM
AG95: I'm not sure what DFO or DHO is?

Sodascouts: Oh wow! That's super news but.....it sounds like it's a legal issue; that people cannot submit pictures copyrighted to others? Unfortunately, I don't have a personal photo to submit. I wish. Maybe I'll try something at Chicago November 8th.

jms18222
08-13-2015, 05:48 PM
I was a good girl & didn't really take any photos in Atlantic City. That may change in Philly.:nahnah::nahnah:

Freypower
08-13-2015, 06:37 PM
AG95: I'm not sure what DFO or DHO is?

Sodascouts: Oh wow! That's super news but.....it sounds like it's a legal issue; that people cannot submit pictures copyrighted to others? Unfortunately, I don't have a personal photo to submit. I wish. Maybe I'll try something at Chicago November 8th.

Don Felder Online & Don Henley Online.

I have photos I took in 2010 but I wouldn't know how to copyright them & I would have thought they wouldn't be considered recent enough to use.

AlreadyGone95
08-14-2015, 03:56 AM
Don Felder Online & Don Henley Online.

I have photos I took in 2010 but I wouldn't know how to copyright them & I would have thought they wouldn't be considered recent enough to use.

Thanks for answering the question, FP. I've been busy all evening/early morning and couldn't answer it.

One thing I've noticed about Wiki photos is that the age of the photo doesn't matter. I've seen people have photos from their "heyday" used as their Wikipedia photo. The photo used for Mark Knopfler is from 2006. The photo for Barry Gibb is from 1973! (Just an example)

Brooke
08-14-2015, 09:19 AM
I think one of his new Cass County photos would be great for it, but I suppose they couldn't be used. You would think the artist would have a say in what photo to use.

Fleurette767
08-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Now that I think about it, that's right, any publication would want to ensure that the item being submitted is property of the person submitting...I suppose that's the purpose of the copyright?

I write for publication (not paid much unfortunately) and know that with many journals and online publications, authors retain all rights after first-time publication. Normally, the publication doesn't ask for anything beyond the writer formally attesting that the work is their own. I guess this is to protect the publication from a lawsuit if there's a plagiarism charge.

However, since the property (photo) is yours to share, it might be a simple process of attesting it's your own? BUT since the work involves the image of another person...oh dang it (like Bernie would say). Any lawyers on here?

Anyway, glad to see others feel that picture needs to go.

Freypower
08-14-2015, 06:06 PM
I think one of his new Cass County photos would be great for it, but I suppose they couldn't be used. You would think the artist would have a say in what photo to use.

I don't see why because Wikipedia is not affiliated with any artists. If artists want choice over which photos appear on websites let them use their own website. They already try to control YouTube. There's a limit.

sodascouts
08-15-2015, 10:53 AM
FP, the copyright defaults to you without you having to register it if you took the photo, at least according to US law. The fact that the photo is of another person is irrelevant (ask the paparazzi lol). However, once it is uploaded, Wikipedia gets the rights to use it as they please.