PDA

View Full Version : What old chestnuts will Joe play / should Joe play on the fall tour?

sodascouts
08-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Joe has promised to go "back in the catalog to dig out some songs that I haven’t ever played live".

Any predictions on what those will be - or any wishes as to what they will be?

I'd love to hear some more of his intense, emotional songs. I get that he can rock hard and blow everyone away with his blazing guitar, but I like the "serious side" too.

One that came to mind is the sexy "Slow Dancing" - I think it's his hottest song.

Funk 50
08-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Joe's solo shows are always on the short side, as the yobbish element of his audience wont let him play his less rocky material. It's on the rockier stuff that he truly excels but I'm really hoping, now he's in his mid sixties, that he can play some of the more delicate stuff that he couldn't get away with pre HFO.

Slow Dancing would be great, although it's not written by Joe. I'd like him to play the whole of side one of Barnstorm, definitely Decades, plus a chunk of one of his other great albums.

Joe Vitale playing the flute, maybe singing Days Gone By, Bookends or School Days too if it extends the length of the concert.

I'm pretty sure Joe will let his backing singers sing a song too. Very interesting to see Lois Mahalia singing Hotel California. I'm sure his audience would love to hear that played.

WalshFan88
08-24-2015, 03:06 PM
ILBTs
All Night Laundry Mat Blues
Coyote Love
Ordinary Average Guy
Space Age Whiz Kids

That's my request list. :nahnah:

shunlvswx
08-24-2015, 07:42 PM
ILBTs
Coyote Love
Ordinary Average Guy
Space Age Whiz Kids

I actually saw a video of Joe doing ILBT. It was back in 2012 when Analog Man was coming out. I think he said a few days after that concert. I forgot what city it was. I love Ordinary Average Guy. Does anybody know when the last time he played that song in concert. I know it was part of the HFO setlist.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-24-2015, 09:38 PM
shun - Joe sang Ordinary Average Guy at the Party of Two show in Aspen in 9/10 that several of us Borderers attended. He also played it in Atlantic City when I saw him solo in 5/07. I don't think he's played it at any solo gig since these shows, but I definitely can't say for sure. I can't recall it being in the set list for any shows after 2010.

sodascouts
08-24-2015, 10:53 PM
:nahnah:

I know it's silly, but I love this song, and I would get a real kick out of him playing it!

Funk 50
08-25-2015, 04:02 AM
ILBTs
Coyote Love
Ordinary Average Guy
Space Age Whiz Kids

If Joe's going to play tracks he's never played before. you're going to be out of luck Walshfan88. Joe's played. He's played all them, ILBTs and Ordinary Average Guy quite a lot, except Coyote Love, which would be a real treat.

WalshFan88
08-25-2015, 09:16 AM
Haha my list was totally sarcastic and not meant to be taken seriously...I tried to pick the silliest songs for the list. :D

Funk 50
08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
I let it go the first time but I'm getting a bit rattled with posters calling Joe's songs silly.

Joe took some convincing to release Life's Been Good. I really think he would have kept it private if he realised he'd have to perform it at every gig for the rest of his life. In fact, I'd say the same is true of Funk #49.

At a recent solo show, Don Henley covered Kool And The Gang's Funky Stuff. I guess he just got tired of performing tracks with profound lyrical content.

I'm thinking if Joe plays a lot of unchallenging tracks and some primarily instrumental pieces, he'll be on stage for longer.

Even at the height of their popularity, Genesis would do a lengthy instrumental medley from their earliest albums that was always very well received. I'd love Joe to throw in an instrumental medley, as well as The Bomber of course.

08-25-2015, 09:33 PM
I'd love to hear One Day at a Time and Walk Away.

Topkat
08-27-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm really hoping for Turn to Stone, love that song.
I saw Joe when his new album first came out & he played a lot from that, but not sure what to expect on this tour. Hoping for some real surprises.

Funk 50
08-29-2015, 05:52 AM
Well there's good news and bad news.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6678584/the-eagles-joe-walsh-new-memoir-touring-music-interview

Walsh mentioned specifically the song "I.L.B.T.'s," a celebration of minimal mammaries co-written by Vitale on 1983's You Bought It -- You Name It album. He also plans to resurrect some album tracks from 1978's "But Seriously, Folks" and from his two early '70s albums with "Barnstorm." There's no brand new material to play right now, but Walsh is "grabbing bits and pieces and....trying to write and play music every day" to accumulate material for a follow-up to 2012's Analog Man.

I was hoping we'd heard the last of ILBTs but I'll take it if we get stuff from Joe's Barnstorm album(s). A few years ago Joe played a bit of, But Seriously Folks! deep track, At The Station and the audience went nuts, so I reckon that has a chance of another outing. As it's his best seller, I wonder if Joe is considering playing the whole, But Seriously Folks! album, top to bottom.

Joe did a few shows last Christmas that included County Fair and a cover of Everyday People in the set list. I hope I get to hear those some day. :)

08-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Oh gosh - that's a very informative interview to be so short. I am really hoping Joe and the other guys all pen their memoirs eventually. It will be some fascinating reading comparing all these stories.

As far as the set list, most all of the solo shows run about 90 minutes, which normally includes somewhere between 13 - 16 songs. Since, But Seriously, Folks includes 8 songs, I can't imagine that he will play it in its entirety. As far as ILBTs, even though I would rather he play something else, I don't cringe when he plays it - to me, it's just all in good fun.

Funk 50
09-16-2015, 07:11 AM
Well Joe's tour starts this evening so I can't defer it any longer.

I'm wondering if Joe is considering having a punt at an arena tour next year. He's got the material but he'd have to extend his set list. which is apparently what he is doing during this run of shows.

Before I change my mind yet again. This is something like the set list I'd love Joe to perform. It's a little over 2 hours of music with a mid show interval.

1 Analog Man 2012
2 Wrecking Ball 2012
3 Song For A Dying Planet 1992
4 Decades 1992
5 Mother Says 1972
6 The Bomber 1970
7 At The Station 1978
8 County Fair 1974
9 In The City 1978
10 All Night Long 1981

11 Desperado
12 Pretty Maids All In A Row 1976
13 Certain Situations 1992
14 Theme From The Boat Weirdos 1978
15 Rocky Mountain Way 1973
16 You Never Know 1981
17 Life's Been Good 1978
18 Life In The Fast Lane 1976
19 Funk #49 1970
20 Turn To Stone 1972
21 Family 2012
22 India 2012

Midnight Visitor
09-21-2015, 12:14 PM
Are there posts missing from this thread?

Funk 50
09-21-2015, 02:44 PM
They've been moved to the Joe Walsh Concert Reviews section. I get lost on this bit of the site.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

There are some more YouTube vids to view. :)