PDA

View Full Version : Joe Walsh Memoir

Funk 50
08-30-2015, 05:53 AM
Nearly all the major music news outlets have run with versions of this story;

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6678584/the-eagles-joe-walsh-new-memoir-touring-music-interview?utm_source=twitter

I suppose Joe's one of the few crazy rock stars who, not only, has survived to tell the tail but is also actually capable of writing it all down.

Joe did some radio dj-ing in the early nineties (inebriated years). He said he had a great Stevie Nicks story to share but I never got to hear it.
I think I've found it today:partytime:

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=55534

he and Stevie were at some Prince world premier video party together. The video was going to come on the TV but there was a commercial first and it was Kentucky Fried Chicken. Joe was specific and said it was the commercial from the 80's where cub scouts come marching into someone's house all holding these buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken. According to Joe, Stevie thought this Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial was the Prince video. Afterwards when she was told it was not the video they all died of laughter.

Thanks Macfan4life over at The Ledge.

Midnight Visitor
08-30-2015, 11:49 AM
He was very mean to Stevie during those radio gigs. I have several of them. I think this is one of those mean jokes he used to tell. I wouldn't have wanted to know a drunk Joe.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Well -as well all know, drugs and alcohol can definitely bring out the worst in people. However, I honestly don't think that story was so bad - I think it's kinda funny. No telling what other fantasies or delusions Stevie may have seen when she was under the influence. :wink: :grin:

AlreadyGone95
08-30-2015, 12:33 PM
That joke sounds like something that most of my family would tell. I don't think it's that bad, just a bit embarrassing.

As I said in the press/blog thread, I can't wait to read Joe's book!

Midnight Visitor
08-30-2015, 01:16 PM
No, you don't get it. That never happened and he's pretending it did. There is no way in hell that Stevie didn't know a commercial from a video. She was a coke head. People on coke can tell the difference from a video & a commercial. For one thing a commercial is 30 seconds long and a video about 3 mins. This is Joe being mean. Sad but true. He said some truly crazy UNTRUE stuff about her during those radio gigs. I know Soda knows what I'm talking about.

Funk 50
08-30-2015, 02:52 PM
No, you don't get it. That never happened and he's pretending it did.

That's a pretty emphatic denial for a 3rd party to make!

Midnight Visitor
08-30-2015, 08:41 PM
It's not a story. It's his version of a dumb blonde joke. I've got some of those DJ shows from the early 90's. He's INCREDIBLY mean to her. It's very sad. I was appalled when I listened to them last year. I realize that as a young person I would have thought these types of attacks were funny. As a grown woman they are anything but funny. As much as I love Joe, I have no understanding as to why Stevie would claim her affair w/a drunken Joe was her "great" love. News must have gotten back to her that he was saying incredibly mean things about her on the radio. Lots of fat joke. Mean, mean ones.

I also think it's a bit of a racist put down to Prince as well. Why would a KFC commercial be played before a Prince premiere video? There's an ugly appearance on the Arsenio Hall show where he accused Arsenio of stealing his hubcaps. You could tell that Arsenio was not amused.

jms18222
08-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Did y'all read at the very bottom of the article that seems to indicate possible future Eagles shows, one NOT featuring the oldies but goodies. Said they needed to take time apart & rebooting. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

Will be first in line to buy Joe's book.

LuvTim
08-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Did y'all read at the very bottom of the article that seems to indicate possible future Eagles shows, one NOT featuring the oldies but goodies. Said they needed to take time apart & rebooting. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

Will be first in line to buy Joe's book.

jms, you bet I noticed his implication that Eagles might very well tour again! WOO HOO!
:headbang:

Funk 50
08-31-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm expecting the Eagles to tour again, once Don's finished promoting Cass County. Although I'm pretty sure Don was working on a second new album. If Cass County is massive, the second album could take priority over the Eagles plus Joe, Tim and Glenn may do a solo stint, that drags out the Eagles hiatus even longer.

The biggest threat to a new Eagles tour, in my humble opinion. is if Joe's book precedes it and it contains something that the other Eagles object to. I'm already thinking the Stevie Nicks chapter could be problematic :unimpressed:

Brooke
08-31-2015, 10:37 AM
This info might need it's own thread!

"The group recently came off the road from the latest leg of its History of the Eagles tour and he said that after two years of taking the show around the world, it's time for the band to do something different.

"We've played about everywhere with it and the decision is whether to just keep doing it and we wanted to take a break and get away from it," Walsh said. "We don't want to just play the hits. We have to reinvent a new set and a new show and we've got to take some time off before we start doing that."

This is some very exciting news if Joe knows what he's talking about, though it could take years!

Freypower
08-31-2015, 05:47 PM
We do have a thread about 'what's next' for them but to be honest Joe's statement doesn't really give anything away. A new set & a new show.... perhaps.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5837

As far as Joe discussing Stevie Nicks in his book.... he had his relationship with her AFTER she was briefly involved with Henley. How could the Eagles have a problem with him talking about it?

08-31-2015, 10:37 PM
Yeah - I'm not sure why Joe writing about Stevie in a memoir would be problematic for the band???

And in the past, none of their solo careers have ever taken priority over the Eagles or the 'mothership' as they often refer to the band. So, quite honestly, I'd be very surprised if that were the case going forward.

UndertheWire
09-01-2015, 04:58 AM
I'm expecting Joe's book to be a mix of funny anecdotes and redemption. If he were to write anything different, he'd damage the image he's built up over the last twenty years as well as his relationships. He's been working on his demons for a long time and he's had time to reflect and use his experience in a positive way. He doesn't need to write a book as therapy.

There are two close examples of how you can write a memoir - Joe Vitale and Don Felder. One of these aimed to write without dishing the dirt on friends and co-workers and is able to continue to work with them and the other is Don Felder.

Of course, it's possible that Joe (Walsh) might write something he thinks is harmless but which upsets Don Henley but, as they share the same manager, that would surely get resolved before it got to publication.

Midnight Visitor
09-01-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm expecting Joe's book to be a mix of funny anecdotes and redemption. If he were to write anything different, he'd damage the image he's built up over the last twenty years as well as his relationships. He's been working on his demons for a long time and he's had time to reflect and use his experience in a positive way. He doesn't need to write a book as therapy.

There are two close examples of how you can write a memoir - Joe Vitale and Don Felder. One of these aimed to write without dishing the dirt on friends and co-workers and is able to continue to work with them and the other is Don Felder.

Of course, it's possible that Joe (Walsh) might write something he thinks is harmless but which upsets Don Henley but, as they share the same manager, that would surely get resolved before it got to publication.

Bingo!! I agree with this wholeheartedly. A book of funny antidotes and redemption is EXACTLY what I'm expecting. If he even mentions Stevie it will be a quick, "that didn't go well" or "I'm sorry." Keep in mind Stevie was always much more enamored w/Joe than the other way around. Also, let's not forget that Joe was married w/a small child during his time w/Stevie.

I also think there will be a lot of input from Joe's friends. Truth is, there is a lot that Joe just can't remember.

Even when the Eagles were broken up Joe never spoke badly of them. He was dead drunk at that time. He won't bite the hands that feed.

Funk 50
09-02-2015, 04:04 AM
Well Joe's quite happy to defer the Felder's "Gods" within the Eagles but Joe's memoir is Joe's story. When Joe jokes "I could actually make more money from people paying me to NOT be in the book", I get the impression that he aint gonna be a pussy.

I believe there's a lot more to Joe's life than fun and redemption. I can't see him skipping the rest in his memoir.

NightMistBlue
10-26-2015, 11:57 AM
It's not a story. It's his version of a dumb blonde joke. I've got some of those DJ shows from the early 90's. He's INCREDIBLY mean to her. It's very sad. I was appalled when I listened to them last year. Lots of fat jokes. Mean, mean ones.

That is sad. I thought Joe - even Drunk Joe - was a gentleman. Guess not. Surely Buddhist Joe will have a more evolved perspective though. Sometimes I think Stevie claims that other men were the love of her life to p*$s off Lindsey. Just a thought.

I look forward to Joe's memoir. For some reason, his origins are shrouded in mystery. Perhaps we'll finally know where and what date he was born, I've read so many different things.

Freypower
10-26-2015, 05:06 PM
That is sad. I thought Joe - even Drunk Joe - was a gentleman. Guess not. Surely Buddhist Joe will have a more evolved perspective though. Sometimes I think Stevie claims that other men were the love of her life to p*$s off Lindsey. Just a thought.

I look forward to Joe's memoir. For some reason, his origins are shrouded in mystery. Perhaps we'll finally know where and what date he was born, I've read so many different things.

He was born on November 20, 1947, in Wichita, Kansas.

UndertheWire
06-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Rodgers and Walsh, in fact, began writing material together about eight years ago that they plan to return to in the near future. “A couple really good things came out of that so we’re gonna revisit it,” Walsh says. “I had some funky licks that had progressed into kind of a song form, and that’s what Paul loves. So I dumped those on him and he put words to it and sang it, and of course it’s brilliant. It’s an approach I never would’ve come up with. And then he had a couple song ideas, melodies, word groups that he gave to me, and I’ve been working on those. So we’re gonna get back and compare notes.”

Walsh is working on some new music in Nashville with a variety of collaborators. He also has a memoir he plans to publish in 2017. “That’s going to be a really good book,” he promises, before joking that, “I thought I could make more money by people paying me NOT to be in my book than I actually could putting the book out, but I decided to go ahead and write it, and I’m really happy now. A lot of people are nervous, but I’m not gonna hurt anybody.”
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160620/sound-check-joe-walsh-bad-company-make-good-summer-tourmates

From that last line, it seems that he's taking his lead from Joe Vitale.

sodascouts
06-22-2016, 04:25 PM
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160620/sound-check-joe-walsh-bad-company-make-good-summer-tourmates

From that last line, it seems that he's taking his lead from Joe Vitale.

I'm so glad Joe is releasing a memoir. They should ALL do so, while there's still time.

WalshFan88
06-22-2016, 04:30 PM
Can't wait to read Joe's book....I love rock autobios. I enjoy reading more about guitarists than egotistic lead singers. Which is why I prefer Joe Perry's book over Steven Tyler's. Us guitarists have to band together and not let those frontmen steal our thunder. :lol:

shunlvswx
06-22-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm looking forward to reading Joe's book. Its going to be very interesting. I'm surprised some stuff he does remembered.

Brooke
06-22-2016, 04:45 PM
I will definitely be getting it! Can't wait!

buffyfan145
06-22-2016, 09:05 PM
I can't wait to read it too!!! :D I love when any of my favorite musicians, actors, and writers/directors do.

AlreadyGone95
06-22-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm sure that Joe's book will be great, and I can't wait to read it!

WalshFan88
06-22-2016, 11:31 PM
I think Joe doing a book is interesting.

I DO worry though about him not remembering things and not mentioning them OR revising them to the best of his recollection as opposed to what really took place. That's one thing about Don Felder - he remembered everything (regardless if he revised things, it was done under his control). But Joe has had trouble with drugs and alcohol and I just hope we get a truthful story. Regardless as a Joe diehard, it will be awesome to read.

It's sad we never saw Glenn do a book. And I probably wouldn't have agreed with him on certain things (DF's firing) but it would have been great to hear his side of the events and not just that but his life story.

I sure hope Henley follows suit and I would love to read his book. Again, I may not agree with everything (especially regarding DF as mentioned above) but it's still good to get the other side of the story as well as his life story and certainly about his solo career.

And of course, I would love a book from TBS, RM, or BL.

Funk 50
06-23-2016, 06:24 AM
That's one thing about Don Felder - he remembered everything

There's no way you can know that WalshFan88. Even so, judging from his interviews, he only has a handful of oft repeated anecdotes to remember.

I think Glenn and Don came across as convincing during The History Of The Eagles documentary, particularly in the part about Felder's exit and Walsh was certainly not a drug addled air brain..... well, not in the interviews anyway. :grin:

At Joe's lowest ebb, touring Down Under with The Party Boys, shortly before his moment of clarity, that began his climb to recovery, his band mates said, off stage they'd spend all their time drinking and listening to Joe's wonderful stories about his rock'n'roll life. As a songwriter, Joe will be adept at verbalizing his life experiences.

I think there's a great book in just the Walsh anecdotes I've heard/read :-P

UndertheWire
06-23-2016, 09:03 AM
Even if it's just a book of anecdotes and personal philosophy, it should be a good read. Joe has people around him, like Smokey, who may help jog his memory.

Felder's co-writer says she used Marc Eliot's book when Don's memory failed him.

WalshFan88
06-23-2016, 06:09 PM
There's no way you can know that WalshFan88. Even so, judging from his interviews, he only has a handful of oft repeated anecdotes to remember.

I'll say it again. I think Don has more ability to remember events than Joe is, he wasn't as strung out. I'm not saying Joe is completely an air brain. Now Felder may have intentionally changed things or left things out, but the fact is I'd bet hundreds of dollars his memory is better than Walsh's any day of the week.

I'm leaving the whole Glenn/Don vs DF thing alone. Most people here know what side I'm on.

Funk 50
06-24-2016, 02:22 PM
You can say it 100 times WalshFan88, it doesn't make you any more right!

Joe's weighed in on the Led Zep, Stairway To Heaven plagiarism verdict.

Led Zeppelin Trial Reactions: Joe Walsh, Robert Plant and More
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-trial-reaction/

There's a recording of Joe playing the intro arpeggio of Stairway To Heaven (Not Taurus) as part of a live intro to Turn To Stone just a few months after it was released. Shows he could recognise classic rock when he heard it. :p

WalshFan88
06-24-2016, 03:13 PM
You can say it 100 times WalshFan88, it doesn't make you any more right!

Neither does it make what you say right....just sayin'.

Funk 50
06-25-2016, 07:34 AM
That's one thing about Don Felder - he remembered everything.

Go on then WalshFan88. How do you know everything that happened and that Felder remembered it?

Sticking to the topic;

Joe's weighed in on the Led Zep, Stairway To Heaven plagiarism verdict.

Led Zeppelin Trial Reactions: Joe Walsh, Robert Plant and More
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-z...rial-reaction/

WalshFan88
06-25-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm not saying I was there....

I'm saying in my experience, drug addicts and people that are strung out very much for an extended period of time have memory problems. And the ones that only partake lightly are not as affected. That's all.

07-02-2016, 12:17 PM
I moved the recent posts about Joe's book over to this thread.

I'm betting it will be a fascinating read - can't wait!

Midnight Visitor
07-05-2016, 11:38 AM
I'll say it again. I think Don has more ability to remember events than Joe is, he wasn't as strung out. I'm not saying Joe is completely an air brain. Now Felder may have intentionally changed things or left things out, but the fact is I'd bet hundreds of dollars his memory is better than Walsh's any day of the week.

I'm leaving the whole Glenn/Don vs DF thing alone. Most people here know what side I'm on.

I love how we're pretending that Felder was sober during those years. Ha, ha, ha!! None of them were & even Henley has come out and said something to the point of, "We all had our problems, Joe was just more public about his."

Annoying Twit
07-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I love how we're pretending that Felder was sober during those years. Ha, ha, ha!! None of them were & even Henley has come out and said something to the point of, "We all had our problems, Joe was just more public about his."

I don't want to get too off topic, but as someone who doesn't even drink alcohol, I look at these people on their drugs and drink and wonder what the deal is. That's not rhetorical. I stopped drinking pretty much when I was 18, so I really don't know. There's not much evidence to make me think I'm missing all that much.

UndertheWire
07-05-2016, 12:21 PM
My only drug experience is from taking (prescribed) co-codamol. It didn't stop the pain but I felt so good, I didn't care. (Long term, a chiropractor was more effective).

I was never a drug user or big drinker and I struggle to remember what happened forty years ago, so I'd be amazed if any of these guys can remember much, unless they kept diaries or wrote letters that have been kept. Henley probably has an advantage as supposedly he has access to the 800 page biography that the band commissioned in the late 70s.

There are lots of continuity errors in Felder's book and sometimes he appears to "remember" events when he wasn't there. His co-writer was open in her use of Marc Eliot's book as a source.

What makes Joe Walsh different is the number of famous people he has played with and been friends with over the years. His time with the Eagles is just a small part of it.

WalshFan88
07-06-2016, 11:25 PM

Listen MV, I didn't say he was sober. I said he wasn't as strung out. Comparatively between Felder and Walsh there is a NIGHT and DAY difference between their composure when they were under the influence. Walsh went above and beyond to the other guys, who DID have problems but nothing like Joe. Fact.

Funk 50
07-07-2016, 05:46 AM
Comparatively between Felder and Walsh there is a NIGHT and DAY difference between their composure when they were under the influence.

I don't remember Joe ever threatening Glenn on stage with 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'

UndertheWire
07-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Felder started later, stopped sooner and had breaks between drug-taking when he was at home with his family. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he was clearer than the rest when he was actually taking drugs. He may even have been worse in that his body would not have built up the same tolerance.

Midnight Visitor
07-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Listen MV, I didn't say he was sober. I said he wasn't as strung out. Comparatively between Felder and Walsh there is a NIGHT and DAY difference between their composure when they were under the influence. Walsh went above and beyond to the other guys, who DID have problems but nothing like Joe. Fact.

I had no idea you were there. Fascinating.

WalshFan88
07-07-2016, 04:17 PM
I don't remember Joe ever threatening Glenn on stage with 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'

HEY. Let's not pretend that Glenn didn't go into the dress room and smash a beer and Glenn was saying ALL sorts of stuff to Don on that stage too including the "three more songs" bit, he even said it himself in the doc. I'm not talking about who was nicer. I'm talking about who was more doped up than the other. Glenn deserved what Felder said. Glenn got all sensitive because Felder didn't know who Alan was and really wasn't into politics. He was the one who turned it into something. And then yes, absolutely, Don said something but let's not forget that Glenn made some snide comments too. He could be a real horses @ss to him. I feel like he was a bully and I've been there and so I'm one to stick up for the underdog. I felt like Glenn got what he had coming to him. Don't make it sound like Felder started the fight. It was Glenn who turned his "I guess" comment into something and then yes, Don absolutely did say things to him onstage. I would have too. Although I probably would have suckerpunched him in the kisser onstage and said we're done buddy, you can take this band and shove it where the sun don't shine. ;)

WalshFan88
07-07-2016, 04:20 PM
I had no idea you were there. Fascinating.

Ok, now we are to the stage of putting words in my mouth. Lovely.

I never said I was there. I, have, watched videos and seen images (that are public domain) and Joe looked and acted way worse back in the 70s and 80s than the rest of the guys. If you don't want to admit he was worse off and might suffer more damage because of his extended substance abuse, then be my guest. See you later.

Freypower
07-07-2016, 07:11 PM
HEY. Let's not pretend that Glenn didn't go into the dress room and smash a beer and Glenn was saying ALL sorts of stuff to Don on that stage too including the "three more songs" bit, he even said it himself in the doc. I'm not talking about who was nicer. I'm talking about who was more doped up than the other. Glenn deserved what Felder said. Glenn got all sensitive because Felder didn't know who Alan was and really wasn't into politics. He was the one who turned it into something. And then yes, absolutely, Don said something but let's not forget that Glenn made some snide comments too. He could be a real horses @ss to him. I feel like he was a bully and I've been there and so I'm one to stick up for the underdog. I felt like Glenn got what he had coming to him. Don't make it sound like Felder started the fight. It was Glenn who turned his "I guess" comment into something and then yes, Don absolutely did say things to him onstage. I would have too. Although I probably would have suckerpunched him in the kisser onstage and said we're done buddy, you can take this band and shove it where the sun don't shine. ;)

What Glenn was upset about was Felder's complete lack of respect to their guest; his rudeness & his sulking. If he didn't want to do the show he could have been professional enough to hide it.

Of course Felder didn't punch Glenn & tell him to stick it. After all, despite everything, the Eagles were all he had. I imagine he didn't see it coming when it was Glenn who called it quits. He didn't realise his behaviour that night had been the last straw.

Defend Felder all you like, but Glenn had had enough of his ingratitude & his moods. These things work both ways. Glenn was not perfect but it was his band & he had the right to expect that members would at least attempt to be professional.

Just to clarify, it was Glenn who said the 'kick your ass' line. Did he overreact? Perhaps. According to Eliot the tension had been simmering since they did a press conference about the benefit & Felder stated openly that he wasn't interested in politics. That is the opposite of keeping a united front & the epitome of behaving like a spoilt brat (Eliot makes it clear that Felder didn't want to do benefits for the basic reason that he wouldn't be paid).

I apologise for getting off topic but I don't buy the 'Felder Is A Martyr' line for a second any more than I buy the 'Felder Didn't Get As High As The Others' line.

WalshFan88
07-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I apologise for getting off topic but I don't buy the 'Felder Is A Martyr' line for a second any more than I buy the 'Felder Didn't Get As High As The Others' line.

Never said Felder wasn't as high as the others, IMO, the others are all equal but Joe took it a step further. He was more addicted and IMO in worse shape (especially in the late 70s/80s) than the other guys. Just watch old videos of him.

sodascouts
07-08-2016, 01:52 AM
I don't even understand why this is being so hotly debated when there's no way we can know. Not only were we not there, but I daresay Joe and Felder themselves probably don't know which of them has a better memory of past events!

Even if we could somehow definitively quantify who was more "messed up" at any given time, we still couldn't automatically assume that the person who was worse off would be less able to remember significant moments in his life clearly enough to write a reasonably reliable account of them.

Look, we can all draw our own conclusions based on videos, photos, interviews, life experiences, etc; we can decide for ourselves what we believe about these people. We can even feel quite strongly that the picture we've drawn of them in our heads, the collage we've created from all of these little pieces we've gathered, is a realistic portrait.

What we can't do is declare that our conclusions are indisputable facts.

What we can't do is insist that everyone else must draw the same conclusions.

Brooke
07-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Very well said, Soda.

Funk 50
07-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Just to clarify, it was Glenn who said the 'kick your ass' line.

I believed that too for many years, I even checked again before attributing it to Felder in answer to the, Felder had more composure than Walsh, remark.

Since HOTE there is evidence to the contrary. I'd say the source is pretty definitive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35347075

According to Frey's account, Mr Cranston came backstage before the concert to thank the band for their efforts, but Felder responded with a less-than-enthusiastic: "You're welcome, Senator… I guess."
It led to a huge backstage row, with beer bottles smashed against the wall. "I felt Don Felder insulted Senator Cranston under his breath, and I confronted him with it," said Frey.
"So now we're on stage, and Felder looks back at me and says, 'Only three more songs till I kick your ass, pal.'
"We're out there singing Best of My Love, but inside both of us are thinking, 'As soon as this is over, I'm going to kill him.'
"That was when I knew I had to get out."

I've been searching for Walsh tidbits since the mid seventies. There was precious little until the 90s. There wasn't even a video of Life's Been good. As a consequence, most videos of Joe are of him, in the short period before HFO, drunkardly goofing around, when he was seriously ill with his addictions. His career started around 1968. Until Life's Been Good inadvertently turned him into a court Jester, he was viewed as every bit as serious as the other Eagles.

As far as I know, there aren't any videos of Felder so he could have been in a worse state than Joe but there just isn't video evidence.

I don't think "Old Videos" are sufficient evidence to judge how well someone remembers previous events.

UndertheWire
07-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Not really definitive as "Best of My Love" wasn't in the setlist.

If Joe just wrote a book about the last 22, years it would be worth reading so anything else is a bonus.

WalshFan88
07-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Not really definitive as "Best of My Love" wasn't in the setlist.

If Joe just wrote a book about the last 22, years it would be worth reading so anything else is a bonus.

Well said UtW. It was indeed a Frey line, not something Felder said.

And I also agree about the last 22 years. It's just been what I've seen with my experience that heavy substance abuse leads to memory impairment.

Freypower
07-08-2016, 07:24 PM
For what it's worth both Eliot & Felder attribute 'kick your ass' to Glenn & Felder also mentions BOML.

07-10-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm betting Joe's memoirs will be a fantastic read. Can't wait to hear his take on some of these events. I'm also crossing my fingers that he will give us some new stuff that we haven't heard about before, but, TBH, I'm a little skeptical.

As far as memory loss, my experience is everyone has some of it at varying levels and the aging process may not be your friend here. Heavy substance abuse may also lead to memory impairment, but it also may not. Of course, there are also other physical and hereditary factors that play a big role in dementia. It varies with each individual, so I don't believe we should draw any blanket conclusions about this topic.

So, as far as different accounts of events from the individual band members, I am not surprised that we get some variations. As we often say, everyone has their own version of the truth. But, I would hope that the band members set a high standard for fact-checking when there is evidence to support a certain version of events if they are going to publish a book. If not, hopefully, we'll all be around to set them straight. :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
07-10-2016, 01:36 PM
For what it's worth both Eliot & Felder attribute 'kick your ass' to Glenn & Felder also mentions BOML.
Against that, the bootleg recording of the night doesn't include BOML and the documentary team had access to Bill Symszyck's tapes. Even though three sources - Glenn's interview, Eliot's book and Felder's book tell the same story, I think it's very likely that Glenn was telling a good story ("Best of My Love" makes a better backdrop for the fight than "Life in the Fast Lane") and the other two carried it forward without checking the accuracy.

Funk 50
07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
I've heard BOML used as an amusing embellishment of the general discord anecdote.

They say that the pen is mightier than the sword. These days, I suppose the DVD, audio/visual clip, is mightier than the pen. :-) I've just checked the HOTEvid and Glenn says "I'm goin' "three more songs asshole" " while recounting the episode. Szymczyk's tape doesn't capture that part of the "conversation".

When he was promoting Analog Man, a couple of years ago, Joe told loads of stories, going back as far as his childhood, without appearing to provide prepared answers. He's a lyricist and a story teller, his brain is attuned to translating his experiences into words. Drug addiction will impair his faculties but they were highly developed and in constant use, even when he was intoxicated.

Joe's memoir looks a winner, even before it's written. I think there could be a second book, a kinda anti-autobiography, compiled from Walsh anecdotes of people who have run into him, especially if his memory skips a few volumes worth of material.

NightMistBlue
07-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Until Life's Been Good inadvertently turned him into a court Jester, he was viewed as every bit as serious as the other Eagles.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

Eagles7
09-01-2016, 11:07 PM
In HOTE tape at Long Beach, the majority of the conversation is Glenn talking, including "3 more songs, buddy and I'm gonna kick your ass." The only thing you hear Felder saying is something like ""you don't care except for the people you pay, nobody gives a shit." Then Glenn goes way over the line with, "I'm gonna kill you."

As far as who did more drugs , who was more impaired, you forgot the most..I don't know that any of us can be the judge of that. Joe's addiction has definitely been the most open and obvious, as has his recovery. Some sources say that Don and Glenn had serious addictions and that was a big part of their feud with one another. Glenn has two nasal repairs resulting from cocaine use. Randy ended up with alcohol dependency. Felder has stated that he wasn't ever addicted to cocaine, but did more than his share. I guess Bernie made out without drug dependent issues.

Joe's book should be a treat. He said in an interview he's not out to hurt anyone. I can't wait to read it. If you read Felder's book with an objective eye, it's not a tell-all, and I'm sure he'd have plenty to tell. It's really a story about his life from childhood on and his perspective on the joys and the devastations of being an Eagle. Bernie and Randy had similar experiences, but they walked away instead of being fired. Even Bill Symcyck said, "Yeah, everything in that book happened, he didn't make any of that up." Bill had nothing to gain or lose from making that statement and he was probably a more objective observer than anyone else.

All I know for sure is that they had to have had some good times when they loved each other, and life on the road ain't easy. When you mix cocaine/ booze in with all of that, things and people get ugly and behave badly. I just wish they could all chalk up their mistakes and problems to youth and pressure and drugs and shake hands and just be grateful for all the good things they did.

Eagles7
09-01-2016, 11:12 PM
Oh yeah, also, look up one of Joe's later sober visits on the Howard Stern radio show. Stern bring up Steve calling Joe the love of her life, and Joe doesn't see it that way at all. They were both heavy in drug use during that time they were together. Steve also had to have nasal reconstruction. Anyway, you can hear Joe speak about it on YouTube.

UndertheWire
09-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Even Bill Symcyck said, "Yeah, everything in that book happened, he didn't make any of that up." Bill had nothing to gain or lose from making that statement and he was probably a more objective observer than anyone else.
Except that's not what Bill S said. You can find the exact quote somewhere on this board but I think he said that Felder didn't exaggerate too much.
For me, the problem is not in Felder's descriptions of what happened but when he attributes feelings and motivations to other people.

Anyway, Joe seems to be more philisophical about life and willing to make allowances for the other people's foibles.

ETA: Szymzcyk's quote about the book: "was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much."
http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=916

09-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Except that's not what Bill S said. You can find the exact quote somewhere on this board but I think he said that Felder didn't exaggerate too much.
For me, the problem is not in Felder's descriptions of what happened but when he attributes feelings and motivations to other people.

Anyway, Joe seems to be more philisophical about life and willing to make allowances for the other people's foibles.

ETA: Szymzcyk's quote about the book: "was pretty true, concerning the stories and the animosities – he did not exaggerate all that much."

I agree UTW - My guess is that Joe's 'zen' will dominate his memoir.

WalshGirl
09-15-2016, 08:40 PM

Mr. Ordinary Average Guy has always appeared to be down-to-earth on fame and everything else. But in any memoir or biography it's important to remember that there is no "truth." There are only people's recollections of what happened. So there's bound to be areas where the so-called facts or events appear at odds with one another.

It's like when two people attend the same concert but have very different interpretations of what transpired.

That said, comparing the two memoirs--Walsh's and Felder's--will be interesting.

Eagles7
03-26-2017, 11:48 PM
I haven't heard ant more about Joe's book coming out. Really ready for another good Eagles read!

Annoying Twit
03-27-2017, 09:59 AM
When it comes out, can we do a book club thread on it?