PDA

View Full Version : Cass County Reviews

Funk 50
09-18-2015, 01:03 PM
NPR Stream: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/440361538/first-listen-don-henley-cass-county

Don Henley's Cass County site: http://www.donhenley.com/news/254273

Well I certainly had misgivings about Cass County, judging, not only by the preview tracks but also by all Henley's output since the Eagles HFO reunion, 20 years ago. I most definitely wasn't looking forward to a country music album.

Honestly, I'm stunned by how much I like it. This is Don, growing as an artist for the first time since The End Of The Innocence. I think he may have even outgrown the Eagles. That, the whole is more than the sum of it's parts, nonsense doesn't cut it any more. Cass County is easily better than Long Road Out Of Eden. The songs are stronger, the covers, better chosen and the special guests give it a communal feel that seemed to evade the last Eagles effort.

I listened to Tift Merrit's Bramble Rose when I heard Don was going to cover it. I was underwhelmed. Performing it as a triplet or trio has turned it into a classic. I've already listened to it countless times.

The Cost Of Living is destined to be another favourite. Great song with two great vocal performances.

Don's not as convincing on the up tempo numbers but No, Thank You. It has a great Henley lyrics "Like a drunkard in the night, swinging left and swinging right" paints a great image.

One thing I was not expecting was a rerun of mid 70s Eagles glories. Waiting Tables is as close to Lying Eyes as anything anyone's released since.

Take A Picture Of This has a hint of Busy Being Fabulous about it. I like the little drum hook and the bridge but Henley's vocal tone, I'm not not so enamoured with.

Too Far Gone is a slow, piano blues waltz, with a rich helping of melancholic pedal-steel guitar, beautifully played and sung.

That Old Flame has got a bit of tempo and an almost, rock guitar accompanying the girl/boy, man/woman lead vocals.

The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is actually a pretty, old-school, mandolin, country fiddle tune.

Words Can Break Your Heart also harks back to Busy Being Fabulous and has a pleasing chorus.

When I Stop Dreaming is also an old school country vocal duet. Don and Dolly pull it off nicely.

Praying For Rain's has attractive lyrics. It has a strong eco friendly message without the lecturing tone that marred the last Eagles album.

Too Much Pride is one of the songs that I'm not fond of. Don may be able to sing the phone book but Ray Charles, honky-tonk, piano country is not to my taste, no matter who's singing it.

She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune reminds me, in content and tone, of The Beatles Norwegian Wood. Very different to Henley's usual stuff. I'm surprised it's only a bonus track. It'sdefinitely one of my favourites.

Train In The Distance is such an evocative title. Paul Simon did it justice in the 80s. I'm pleased to say that Don's TITD comfortably matches it. It helps to have the sound of a train in the distance on the track too.

Younger Man is already a firm favourite. Musically it's an easier on the ear Damn It Rose. I remember hearing Glenn introducing The Girl From Yesterday with the tag line "Destined to be a country classic". That's how I'd describe YM.

Can the same guy that knows "You're looking for a Younger Man" really convince us that he's completely happy Where I Am Now. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I may not like Country music any more than I did but Cass County reminds me how much of a Don Henley fan I was in the 80s.

Many congratulations to Henley, Lynch and the rest of the crew for a wonderful new album.

alexandranick
09-18-2015, 09:33 PM
My favorite songs are "Waiting Tables","Cost of living"and"No,thank you"
The style of the album is very close to the eagle early

DivineDon
09-20-2015, 11:28 AM
In the main I agree with your review, Funk, Younger Man is standing out for me at the moment and I detected a touch of Damn it Rose when I heard it first. I really like the Buck Owens' style No, thank you cos I can hear Vince Gill there and recognise his guitar playing. I'll have to have a really good listen to the rest but I think my overall favourite remains Train in the Distance, there's something very poignant about it and I find the melody stays in my head which is a good sign. I'm looking forward to listening to the vinyl version and really revelling in all things Don :)

Tiffanny Twisted
09-20-2015, 12:11 PM
I just watched him on cbs this morning
He strikes me as a man at peace and proud of this cd

And to quote hh

"I could listen to this man sing the phone book"
He has so much exoression in his voice comung from his soul.
What I have heard I love
i cant wait for friday

Ive always been a dreamer
09-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Okay – Here are a few of my ‘first impression’ thoughts about the album. Since I’m not a huge country music fan, I can’t honestly say I’m totally enamored with the album, even though I like most of the songs well enough. Don does sound fantastic on most of the songs and I’m sure I’ll change my mind about some of these songs after repeated listens. For those of you who are familiar with my tastes, it should come as no surprise that most of my early favorites are all of the uptempo tunes – That Old Flame, She Sang Hymns Out of Tune, Where Am I Now, and No, Thank You, which may be my favorite on the album at this point. I also like Words Can Break My Heart and Brand New Tennessee Waltz a lot. My least favorites at this stage are Too Much Pride and Younger Man. Has anyone else noticed the similarity in the music between That Old Flame and They’re Not Here, They’re Not Coming?

I can see how a few of these songs may become country hits, but none of these songs jump out and scream ‘country classic’ to me. I remember the first time I heard Long Road Out of Eden, there were three or four songs that I immediately fell in love with, but that was not my experience here. BUT, this is Don’s moment so I really prefer not to diverge this into a discussion about his ‘other’ band. I personally think it’s a tall order and seems really unfair to Don to compare his solo work with them. Same goes for the other band members (or most all other artists for that matter) – equaling the Eagles' accomplishments would be nearly impossible, so, AFAIC, any comparisons are fruitless and take the focus away from where it belongs, which is Cass County. JMHO :thumbsup:

L101
09-21-2015, 02:57 PM
I'm not that much of a country fan but I like Cass County. I haven't really listened to it as I want to have the CD and listen to it properly but so far, I absolutely LOVE Bramble Rose!! And I like the way Mick sounds on it and the harmonica ....it sounds like a rambling cowboy tune - love it!! I would love to know what the story is with Mick and the recording of this song - Don side-stepped the question nicely on the 92 street Y conversation yesterday :grin:

My other favourite is Waiting Tables- the emotion and passion he shows when he sings...so good!! To me, it feels like an extension of Waiting in the Weeds.

I agree with F50 though, on Too Much Pride - I don't like it. It doesn't suit Don's style at all and it definitely takes over from WISD as the worst song on CC!!

The rockier type songs aren't bad either so CC is looking good :thumbsup:

ETA: I also got a touch of Damn it Rose, when I listened to Younger Man(Love this BTW!!) (and I'd also have him, no matter what age he was !! :hilarious:)

sodascouts
09-25-2015, 10:15 PM
I think it's a really well-crafted album. I'm going to listen to it some more before going into detail, though.

AlreadyGone95
09-26-2015, 01:53 AM
I'm going to wait until a few more listens to write a full review, but after 2 listens tonight, my favorites are: Train in the Distance, Praying for Rain, Where I Am Now, No, Thank You, Cost of Living, and Too Much Pride.

Yolobots
09-26-2015, 03:52 AM
Guys is the album worth it? I'm 18 and this will be the first album I'll ever buy. I've been waiting a long time for it.

AlreadyGone95
09-26-2015, 11:26 AM
Guys is the album worth it? I'm 18 and this will be the first album I'll ever buy. I've been waiting a long time for it.

In my opinion, it's definitely worth it(although, I've yet to purchase the album). Don sounds great, as does the music. Out of the 16 songs on the "deluxe" version, there's only 2 or 3 that I'm on the fence on. Hopefully, they will grow on me.

And Welcome to The Border!

shunlvswx
09-26-2015, 11:32 AM
The two extra tracks from Target are great. I love Here Comes Those Tears Again. Great song.

I will give me my review soon. Overall. I love the album. This will be my first album where I'm not skipping songs I don't like. When I Stop Dreaming is growing on me. Mick's vocal on Bramble Rose is also growing on me too.

Houston Debutante
09-26-2015, 11:48 AM
I just bought it and his voice ~ wow ~ there are no words! I also went to Target, there are plenty of them around here, It Don't Matter To The Sun is worth it but I also like the other bonus track Here Come Those Tears Again.

Funk 50
09-26-2015, 12:34 PM

I think it'd make Don's day, to hear that an 18 year old's, first album purchase is Cass County Yolobots.
You don't fancy NOW 80 or whatever they're up to?

Cass County is definitely a top notch album. I'm even starting to like the tracks, I wasn't initially keen on.

One thing I can guarantee, Yolobots, is that, in fifty years time, if somebody asks you, what was the first album you bought?, You'll be very proud to answer Cass County. It was Joe Walsh, So What for me. :smile:

09-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Welcome from me as well. If you want encouragement to buy Cass County, then you've come to a good place. IMHO - GO FOR IT!!! :thumbsup: I would highly recommend buying the CD at Target if possible so you can get the 2 extra bonus songs. Enjoy and let us know what you think about it.

maryc2130
09-27-2015, 10:41 AM
NPR Stream: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/440361538/first-listen-don-henley-cass-county

Train In The Distance is such an evocative title. Paul Simon did it justice in the 80s. I'm pleased to say that Don's TITD comfortably matches it. It helps to have the sound of a train in the distance on the track too.

Just to be clear, the two songs share the same title, but they're two different songs. When I first read this, I thought Henley's was a cover of the Paul Simon song, but I agree that they both do justice to the title.

I have to say that I'm really liking this new album. I don't think there's any song that I really dislike, although perhaps there isn't one that jumps out as a favorite, either. The vocals are SO strong. I'm going to listen a few more times before I post my overall review.

WalshFan88
09-27-2015, 11:04 PM
I've spent some time with CC on CD and on Spotify.

I can say that at first I was very nervous. I'm NOT an old country guy. The steel guitar and the "my dog died, the wife left me, and I'm drinking my brains out" doesn't do much for this rock n' roll junkie. Most of that classic Hank Sr, Haggard, etc stuff puts me to sleep....

BUT....I love the way Don did these songs with himself and several guests. For whatever reason they are more palatable than the original tunes and the way he sings it isn't so damn boring! I realize my words are quite strong for a "classic" fan of country music, but those would be the same people that offend me when they get to bashing some rock stuff or new country, which I unashamedly love. Perhaps I'm a biased Henley fan, perhaps it was the fact that the people who played on this record I've listened to before I loved their style, or perhaps it was just not so melodramatic and "fogey". But regardless, I've enjoyed this album.

Now, I'm not going to break it down song by song but there isn't much I don't like off of this record. Again, I'm as surprised as anyone. I was ready to write "BORING" in a more polite way, to sum it up, but the music and Don's voice were the saving grace for me and made my ears stayed focused throughout.

For me, without a doubt my favorite is That Old Flame with guest Martina McBride. The rockin' power chord "building up" sound and the guitar solo are some much needed "rock edge" to this otherwise traditional country sound of this song...

I prefer the modern country sound, which is more rock n' roll (and now more RnB influenced), and not so much the steel guitar and tear in my beer stuff. I LOVE modern Nashville rockin' guitar, a throwback to the 70s and 80s. I looked at the credits and I recognized several of the players on TOF. Most of them play on the new country stuff, so I knew that was why.

I'm one who buys Florida Georgia Line songs because they've got great guitars on them and some of them are fun (albeit not deep lyrically, but I don't need that as much as some do, who would likely prefer the storytelling of classic/traditional country/western music and not mind what would bore me to death...) I have no problem admitting I like the new stuff, as formulaic as it is. It is miles more palatable for me than LA pop or classic country. For me I enjoyed more of the rock sound than the new RnB sound, but I'm gonna ride that wave. But for me country music that I like can be heard on songs like Jason Aldean's "Hicktown" or Eric Church's "Drink In My Hand". Rock n' roll throwback guitar with some country-esque vocals made for a younger crowd. Not so much the beer/tears thing, more about country life in the 2000's forward with trucks, ATVs, and such.

Everything I've said about me not caring for classic country (other than some standout 90s songs with some edge to them), I've enjoyed this album and it's a really good thing to have a new album from Don... Since his last solo effort, all of the Eagles have put out SOMETHING. Glenn, Joe, even Tim.

That said, I think from an early standpoint I knew it was worth it. Even as someone who initially turned his nose up at the idea. I've got select songs in my playlist on Spotify and the CD is still in my stereo's 5-disc CD player and hasn't left since I got it. I think this is one of those albums that would sound good on vinyl... Mostly I only like old vinyl records as the new stuff usually is digital to begin with but there is a certain sound I hear on the CD that I think would sound good on a LP. Maybe I'll buy it later on.

All in all, I have to give it a very surprising (to me) 2 thumbs up. Even if you are like me and yawn at the thought of someone singing a George Jones classic - give the album a try. Don puts a much needed spin on these songs. I really think it's worth the entry fee, so to speak. And this is coming from someone who never thought it would for himself.

secret squirrel
09-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Here's one from Daily Mail, UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/reviews/article-3248332/An-Eagle-flies-home-hits-high-notes-Don-Henley-s-latest-labour-love.html

4 out of 5.

SS
xx
http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/ (http://pistoriusontrial.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/oscar-pistorius-i-dont-remember-what.html)

Yolobots
10-01-2015, 05:08 AM
I think it'd make Don's day, to hear that an 18 year old's, first album purchase is Cass County Yolobots.
You don't fancy NOW 80 or whatever they're up to?

Cass County is definitely a top notch album. I'm even starting to like the tracks, I wasn't initially keen on.

One thing I can guarantee, Yolobots, is that, in fifty years time, if somebody asks you, what was the first album you bought?, You'll be very proud to answer Cass County. It was Joe Walsh, So What for me. :smile:

I've been listening to eagles for years. I only wish that I could have seen them live in the '70s. I'll get the album on Monday. I'm really excited

SteveJoburg
10-01-2015, 06:20 AM

This is arguably one of the coolest things I've ever read.

My ten cents worth? There are albums you will buy which you'll listen to a few times and never listen to again. Then there are albums you will still be listening to ten and twenty years down the road. Albums that go beyond fads and fashions and genres. ANY Don Henley album will fit into that category.

A superb first album purchase IMO.

DJ
10-01-2015, 02:59 PM
I've heard the two songs that are on internet and plan on buying cd soon. Because I love that Don has gone back to country roots. :heart:

DJ
10-01-2015, 03:01 PM
I've spent some time with CC on CD and on Spotify.

I can say that at first I was very nervous. I'm NOT an old country guy. The steel guitar and the "my dog died, the wife left me, and I'm drinking my brains out" doesn't do much for this rock n' roll junkie. Most of that classic Hank Sr, Haggard, etc stuff puts me to sleep....

BUT....I love the way Don did these songs with himself and several guests. For whatever reason they are more palatable than the original tunes and the way he sings it isn't so damn boring! I realize my words are quite strong for a "classic" fan of country music, but those would be the same people that offend me when they get to bashing some rock stuff or new country, which I unashamedly love. Perhaps I'm a biased Henley fan, perhaps it was the fact that the people who played on this record I've listened to before I loved their style, or perhaps it was just not so melodramatic and "fogey". But regardless, I've enjoyed this album.

Now, I'm not going to break it down song by song but there isn't much I don't like off of this record. Again, I'm as surprised as anyone. I was ready to write "BORING" in a more polite way, to sum it up, but the music and Don's voice were the saving grace for me and made my ears stayed focused throughout.

For me, without a doubt my favorite is That Old Flame with guest Martina McBride. The rockin' power chord "building up" sound and the guitar solo are some much needed "rock edge" to this otherwise traditional country sound of this song...

I prefer the modern country sound, which is more rock n' roll (and now more RnB influenced), and not so much the steel guitar and tear in my beer stuff. I LOVE modern Nashville rockin' guitar, a throwback to the 70s and 80s. I looked at the credits and I recognized several of the players on TOF. Most of them play on the new country stuff, so I knew that was why.

I'm one who buys Florida Georgia Line songs because they've got great guitars on them and some of them are fun (albeit not deep lyrically, but I don't need that as much as some do, who would likely prefer the storytelling of classic/traditional country/western music and not mind what would bore me to death...) I have no problem admitting I like the new stuff, as formulaic as it is. It is miles more palatable for me than LA pop or classic country. For me I enjoyed more of the rock sound than the new RnB sound, but I'm gonna ride that wave. But for me country music that I like can be heard on songs like Jason Aldean's "Hicktown" or Eric Church's "Drink In My Hand". Rock n' roll throwback guitar with some country-esque vocals made for a younger crowd. Not so much the beer/tears thing, more about country life in the 2000's forward with trucks, ATVs, and such.

Everything I've said about me not caring for classic country (other than some standout 90s songs with some edge to them), I've enjoyed this album and it's a really good thing to have a new album from Don... Since his last solo effort, all of the Eagles have put out SOMETHING. Glenn, Joe, even Tim.

That said, I think from an early standpoint I knew it was worth it. Even as someone who initially turned his nose up at the idea. I've got select songs in my playlist on Spotify and the CD is still in my stereo's 5-disc CD player and hasn't left since I got it. I think this is one of those albums that would sound good on vinyl... Mostly I only like old vinyl records as the new stuff usually is digital to begin with but there is a certain sound I hear on the CD that I think would sound good on a LP. Maybe I'll buy it later on.

All in all, I have to give it a very surprising (to me) 2 thumbs up. Even if you are like me and yawn at the thought of someone singing a George Jones classic - give the album a try. Don puts a much needed spin on these songs. I really think it's worth the entry fee, so to speak. And this is coming from someone who never thought it would for himself.

Austin have you heard the steel guitar on CSNY Teach Your Children Well? It isn't a tear in your beer steel it's fabulous.

WalshFan88
10-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Austin have you heard the steel guitar on CSNY Teach Your Children Well? It isn't a tear in your beer steel it's fabulous.

Yeah that's pretty tolerable for me.....Jerry Garcia (of Grateful Dead fame) played that.

But something like the steel on a song by Buck Owens or Merle Haggard would make me yawn. :lol:

ktdids
10-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Playing the album on shuffle on the music player, and about half of it I like right off the bat, while the other half is requiring further review. Currently I've got Hear Come Those Tears Again rolling around in my head and loving it.

Glennsallnighter
10-02-2015, 04:47 PM
I have listened to Cass County a fair bit over the last week and I must say am highly impressed. So far I would put my favourites as being That Old Flame, Where I am Now and Praying for Rain. But I like all of the songs.

maryc2130
10-04-2015, 09:41 AM
I'm still working on my review, but listening to "No Thank You" yesterday, I wondered if it's about the Eagles. Especially these parts:

Lady Luck's been good to me
I'm as grateful as can be
Never thought this crazy ride would ever last
And though nostalgia is fine, I respectfully decline
To spend my future living in the past
I've been carrying my load down this same old rocky road
Every day I'm getting deeper in a rut
Workin' overtime, now a dollar's worth a dime
And everybody wants a bigger cut

The "nostalgia is fine part" kind of echoes what he's said about being a human jukebox. (BTW, I love how he pronounces nostalgia!) And everybody wants a bigger cut certainly applies.

B.S. blaring from the radio, the TV
Hot wind blowin' off The Hill
It's a mystery to me we can't agree to disagree
It's lookin' like we never, ever will

I'm hoping the part above doesn't apply to the Eagles. Of course, he talks about The Hill and earlier in the song about Republicans and Democrats, so it could well be about politics. Maybe the politics of the music business? And then there's this part:

Don't tell me to take it easy
'Cause I've been there, done that

Interesting choice of words, don't you think?

Funk 50
10-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Reading those lyrics, I'm kinda glad that Don has already said that he's expecting to play more Eagles shows in future and that it wont be him that splits the band.

I think Stevie Nicks and Phil Collins have said that about their bands in the past before leaving them. They both returned.

I'm not sure if I'd want Don, to insist on an end to the Eagles nostalgia act or not. In theory I would, in practice I'd probably take the Eagles anyway Glenn wants them to be.

This is as far off topic as I'm going to go. I'm liking No Thank You more, every time I hear it. I'd pick it as a possible single, except singles don't really exist any more, do they :headscratch:

10-04-2015, 03:58 PM
My guess is there are some Eagles inferences in those lyrics since they are a really big part of Don's past. Whether they are direct or indirect, I don't know, but I highly doubt the 'take it easy' line is coincidental. :grin:

In any event - as I said earlier, I really like this song ... it may be my favorite on the album. I especially like the 'And though nostalgia is fine, I respectfully decline to spend my future living in the past' line - very clever. :rockon:

Mark
10-05-2015, 06:53 AM
The 'Take It Easy' line is definitely not a coincidental Eagles reference because the guitar lick behind the line also references TIE.
I think this is a fantastic album and one that gets better with each play.

sodascouts
10-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Welcome, Mark!

This makes me wonder if we should have a separate thread talking about lyrics. I love to speculate about such things!

Mark
10-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Welcome, Mark!

This makes me wonder if we should have a separate thread talking about lyrics. I love to speculate about such things!

Thanks!
That's a good idea, DH always chooses his words with care so a lyric thread would be interesting.

Drew Williams
11-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Don,
If someone said to me a while back that you would do a real country album, I would have laughed. I got it and it's real country, like the country music used to be, not cross over but honest to God real country. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I like how you add all colors to the music too. The guest artist that you chose. There is only one of Dolly, Emmylou and Merle etc.... It is the way country music should have stayed if you ask me instead of corporate executives. concept of cross over to sell more hits. I love how you stick to your guns!
Keep up the good work and also I wish you could come to the NW part of Arkansas. We have a very great new amphitheater with such great sound and for being outside it has great acoustics. I know there are health problems in the band but it's bet to come or book in the Spring. They have water misters for the public but being under stage lights gets damn hot, so a cool Summer or Spring evening would sell out 3 nights at least!
Thanks for keeping it real,
Drew Williams :applause::applause:

maryc2130
11-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Welcome, Drew! Glad you liked Cass County. Being from the Northeast, I haven't listened to a lot of country, and as a Don Henley fan, I was a little leery about a country album. But I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. Music is music, and this is a first-rate musical offering, IMHO!

sodascouts
11-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Welcome, Drew! I'm going to move this into the Cass County Review thread.

NightMistBlue
11-11-2015, 11:57 AM
I have listened to Cass County a fair bit over the last week and I must say am highly impressed. So far I would put my favourites as being That Old Flame, Where I am Now and Praying for Rain. But I like all of the songs.

Is it just me, or does Don do a full-on Bob Dylan impression about 2/3 of the way through "Praying for Rain"? That's not a criticism - it works! - but it's a little surprising is all.

This is an excellent album. Darn that Don, he's an excellent songwriter. "No, Thank You" is the kind of perfect kick-ass commentary that Henley is known for, in the vein of "Dirty Laundry."

I'm loving the Trisha Yearwood duet "Words Can Break Your Heart." This could be a hit song, if radio wasn't utter crap.

P.S. People who have the bonus track "Here Come Those Tears Again" - is it the Jackson Browne song?

shunlvswx
11-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Is it just me, or does Don do a full-on Bob Dylan impression about 2/3 of the way through "Praying for Rain"? That's not a criticism - it works! - but it's a little surprising is all.

This is an excellent album. Darn that Don, he's an excellent songwriter. "No, Thank You" is the kind of perfect kick-ass commentary that Henley is known for, in the vein of "Dirty Laundry."

I'm loving the Trisha Yearwood duet "Words Can Break Your Heart." This could be a hit song, if radio wasn't utter crap.

P.S. People who have the bonus track "Here Come Those Tears Again" - is it the Jackson Browne song?

Yep. He does sound like Bob Dylan during that part. I brought it up when I first heard the album.

Yes. Here Come Those Tears Again is a Jackson Browne song. I love the song. That was actually the first time I've ever heard that song.

NightMistBlue
11-11-2015, 02:33 PM
"Here Come Those Tears Again" is a wonderful song. Have you listened to Jackson's original yet?

Jackson actually co-wrote that song with his mother-in-law at the time. She brought him the lyrics and he wrote the music.

Freypower
12-01-2015, 05:10 PM
Rolling Stone rated CC the 20th best album of the year. It rated Adele's album at 2. It was only released a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/50-best-albums-of-2015-20151201/don-henley-cass-county-20151130

However, to my intense gratification, #23 is worth a listen. :heybaby:

12-02-2015, 01:27 PM
FP - hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to this thread because it was getting lost in all the other discussion in the 'press' thread.

CONGRATS TO CASS COUNTY!!!

Way to go Don - not too shabby to impress Rolling Stone with such a 'mature' country-tinged album.

AlreadyGone95
12-02-2015, 02:10 PM
:yay: Cass County!! Not a bad list to be on, although CC would be #1 on my list.

Brooke
12-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Pretty cool for a 68 year old rocker! Congrats to Don! :applause:

Jonny Come Lately
02-28-2016, 08:24 AM
I’ve finally got around to listening to the album from start to finish this weekend so I thought now would be a good time to post my Cass County review. I’d already listened to the songs individually but for me there is no substitute for a front-to-back listen when reviewing an album, especially a new one – I never quite know if a song I previously didn’t rate much will grow on me, or if a song with instant appeal fades quickly.

I’m happy to say that my review is mostly positive. Although I am a rock fan at heart, I do quite like country music (at least, traditional country) as a genre – it strongly favours an organic style and quite often places a lot of emphasis on the lyrics. Things that I find lacking in most contemporary ‘pop’ music, to say the least (I say ‘pop’ as I mean the stuff that’s in the charts, not the whole spectrum of popular music). Don’s vocals are great throughout the album, I think his voice has ‘weathered’ very nicely indeed and suits the album's music and lyrics perfectly.

(I should clarify now that I have the Deluxe Edition with 16-tracks and I have reviewed the tracks more or less in sequence order, so I won’t cover the two Target-exclusive songs).

I will start by saying that I think the album’s opening four tracks are wonderful. The pedal steel intro to Bramble Rose is great because it is a clear statement of intent that this is a true traditional country album – no dubstep or rap segments here! As for Bramble Rose itself, I love it. It works perfectly with the three singers. I have to say I really like Miranda Lambert’s vocal on the second verse. I wasn’t sure whether Mick Jagger’s voice would work with the other two, but it does and I like his harmonica playing too. The Cost of Living keeps the standard up, a strong lyric and Don and Merle's voices play off each other well. It was great that he was able to get in such a country legend on his album. It does remind me a bit of Mark Knopfler’s Everybody Pays, partly due to the chorus. I almost always love Don’s social commentary ‘rant’ songs, and happily No, Thank You is no exception. Vince Gill does a great job with the guitar and vocals too. Waiting Tables is a great piece of storytelling. You do feel for the woman in the song. I saw an article someone posted the other day said that this was considered by the Eagles, which doesn’t surprise that much as I noticed that Tim is credited as one of the four co-writers. I’d be interested to know what his involvement was.

I really like Take A Picture Of This. Great chorus and I love the lyrics. My only (slight) criticism is that it loses some of the traditional country sound of the first four tracks, although this does give it a slightly more anthemic feel. I’ll mention Too Far Gone and The Brand New Tennessee Waltz together as they are both nice songs. Neither is a particular stand out but they’re both pretty likeable. That Old Flame is I think one of the least ‘traditional’ country songs on the album, in the intro I half expect the rocking power chords of James Dean to enter. It’s another strong lyric and the combination of Don and Martina McBride works very well. I do like Words Can Break Your Heart quite a lot, especially the lyrics in the second verse (‘Cutting words from careless lips, softly spoken’) – very cleverly written.

I can’t say I was overly enamoured by the idea of a duet with Dolly Parton (her voice isn’t my cup of tea) but I have to say When I Stop Dreaming pleasantly surprised me. It’s still not one of my favourites, but I was only tempted to skip when Dolly was singing alone. The song itself is absolutely fine and with a different female singer I’d probably like it a lot. I think Praying For Rain is one of the best songs, it’s a got a great chorus and I think the tone of the lyrics and vocals is just right – he sounds desperate without going over the top. NMB commented that at one stage Don does a Bob Dylan impression, and I’d agree with that, it is somewhat reminiscent of Bob’s voice in the Blonde On Blonde era in particular. Maybe if he got time he also wanted to pray that he didn’t get stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues (again).

Too Much Pride isn’t one of my favourites, but it isn’t my least favourite either. It does feel a little bluesy, which I quite like. I’m sorry to say I found She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune a bit disappointing. I’m not really sure what attracted Don to this particular song, as those aren’t his words. I can see the comparison with Norwegian Wood, but as a whimsical piece it leaves me cold – I’m afraid it makes me go ‘what the heck?’ rather than making me smile.

I adore Train in the Distance, which is my personal favourite. I love the lyrics, which cover virtually a whole life cycle and the solo in the middle is absolutely wonderful – it feels like a more melancholy take of the Peaceful Easy Feeling solo, which is some compliment. I think a Younger Man is very touching, and really quite heartbreaking. The album ends strongly with Where I Am Now. In In a funny way it reminds me of Tryin’ – a short, to the point and rocking album closer with a positive message.

So where does it stack up compared to other Henley solo albums? listened to The End of the Innocence in full yesterday, and while I do like Cass County a lot, I have to say I still think EOTI stands as Don’s best solo work. I actively enjoy listening to the political and especially social commentary side of Don’s music and therefore EOTI is made great to me not just by the hits, but also by songs like Little Tin God and If Dirt Were Dollars. Still, as I said earlier, I’m a rock guy at heart, so it doesn’t surprise me. Yet, I do prefer the organic style of CC to the synthesiser-heavy music that makes up much of Building The Perfect Beast. Also, this album has a timeless sound which I think will age well, IMO certainly better than the album tracks on BTPB. FWIW, I don’t know ICSS very well, and must admit I have never heard anything from Inside Job (the Henley compilation I own is Actual Miles, rather than The Very Best Of).

Finally, I have to thank Soda and Dreamer for so kindly posting this album all the way to me across the pond. Thank you so much, I’ve really enjoyed listening to it so far! As you can see, I like most of the songs on the album, and there are several which I rate very highly.

02-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Glad we were able to get a copy of Cass County to you, JCL. That was your prize for participating in the HotE 'Who said that?' contest.

I enjoyed reading your review, although it's funny because our opinions are almost polar opposites about a few of the songs. I usually wait to post my full song-by-song review of the guy's new solo albums around the 1st year anniversary.

sodascouts
02-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Thanks for that detailed and interesting review!

Brooke
02-29-2016, 11:02 AM
JCL, thanks for your review! I really enjoyed your analysis of it and I find I agree with you on most songs. :thumbsup: