PDA

View Full Version : It Don't Matter To The Sun

dcinga
09-26-2015, 12:36 PM
I found a link to a stream of " It Don't Matter To the Sun" from the Target Exclusive.

It's simply amazing.

I am posting it below. I hope this is ok and I am not violating any trademark law.
Please delete if I am.

Thanks to whomever posted it.

http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129855840754/here-ya-guys-go-it-dont-matter-to-the-sun-don

Funk 50
09-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Thank you very much for posting the link dcinga, I was beginning to feel a little left out on this side of the Atlantic.

I've just recalled that, Don and Stevie, along with Van Morrison, were my favourite singers during the 1980s.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks, dc. That is lovely isn't it? I would imagine Don will have this taken down if he doesn't want it posted.

Funk 50
09-26-2015, 01:18 PM
I dug a little deeper, dcinga;

track info (scan);
http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129860230952/satya

Here Come Those Tears Again - Don Henley feat. Alison Krauss;
http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129921207142/undoingthelaces-here-come-those-tears-again-don

I'll second your thanks to whomever posted these :smile:

Maleah
09-26-2015, 01:24 PM
I LOVE that! I don't have the Target version that has this and the other bonus (yet!) but this should have been on the main track list. I think it's one of the best on the album! Stevie kind of surprised me at the end because I didn't realize that this was the song she was on. It went through nearly the entire song before she joined, which was kind of a bummer. Love how stripped down it is. I always find it fascinating what songs are chosen for duets....this gets even more fascinating in a case like this when they were once together. Thanks for sharing!

dcinga
09-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Funk 50 , Thanks for posting" Here Come Those Tears Again ".

I love this cover. I remember when Jackson Browne first released The Pretender, during my first year of college in 1976. Here Come Those Tears was the first single released from that album.( I played the heck out of it for a month and then Hotel California was released. Then i bet I didn't play it again for 6 months.LOL)

This song really turned me on to Jackson Browne. Jackson's original was a great 1970's country rock son. Don has made it a straight traditional country song.

Don has really delivered on this CD. All the tracks are outstanding. Usually the extra tracks are throw aways that don't add much substance or value to a CD. These two extra tracks are fantastic covers. Jackson and Garth should be very proud of Don's homage to their work.

WalshFan88
09-26-2015, 03:12 PM
That song is Garth Brooks' alter ego Chris Gaines...lol worst decision ever.

Good song though.

L101
09-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Thanks dcinga and F50 for the links - I have wanted to hear 'It don't matter to the sun' for so long now...and I love it !! The stripped down version really works, I've only heard the live version on that evil site :grin: but this version is really good.

And 'Here comes those tears again' - WOW!!! I would love to hear Don just do a cover album of Jackson Browne's songs - that would be class !! He sounds so good on it - his voice is still as strong as ever in those songs.

And yes, I agree, those songs should have been on the main album, but they were probably left off, as they are not really country, but I'm happy now I got to hear them. :applause:

AlreadyGone95
09-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Wow, thanks dcinga and F50 for finding and posting the songs! I love both songs, but Stevie's voice is something else. I just wish that she sang more than she did. Oh well, beggers can't be choosy.

DivineDon
09-26-2015, 06:32 PM
Ok I'm going to be controversial here and say outright that I actually don't think Stevie adds anything to this. Don sounds amazing and should have sung the whole thing - it's almost like she's an 'add on' (forgive me Soda) just there for the sake of it.
I have only ever heard the live version before and love this song.
Don doesn't need anyone to make this great :heart: Here come those tears is a perfect example of what I mean - great harmony but he sings it so well!

scottside
09-27-2015, 02:12 AM
Ok I'm going to be controversial here and say outright that I actually don't think Stevie adds anything to this. Don sounds amazing and should have sung the whole thing - it's almost like she's an 'add on' (forgive me Soda) just there for the sake of it.
I have only ever heard the live version before and love this song.
Don doesn't need anyone to make this great :heart: Hear come those tears is a perfect example of what I mean - great harmony but he sings it so well!

I agree entirely with the Nicks duet. She's only used at the end and when her voice came in, I was found it to be totally jarring. I'm not sure if it's where it is in the overall mix or the way it was recorded, but, to me, she sounded different than usual. When they sing together at the end, the harmonies were fine, but on her own, it was disturbing, for lack of a better word. And I like Stevie Nicks a whole lot so I was disappointed.

Don sings "Here Comes Those Tears" great, but I'm not thrilled with the arrangement. The acoustic guitar that drives it early on feels like it's going too fast. I think Jackson's version will always be the definitive one, in my opinion.

GlennLover
09-27-2015, 03:33 PM
I agree entirely with the Nicks duet. She's only used at the end and when her voice came in, I was found it to be totally jarring. I'm not sure if it's where it is in the overall mix or the way it was recorded, but, to me, she sounded different than usual. When they sing together at the end, the harmonies were fine, but on her own, it was disturbing, for lack of a better word. I was disappointed.

I have to agree. You have been able to put into words my impression when I 1st heard the song. I was looking forward to hearing it as I am very moved by the way he sings it in the video posted on YouTube. I was disappointed too. Soda, please don't give me the :steviesmack:

jms18222
09-27-2015, 03:56 PM
I might be sent to the "naughty corner" but I really didn't like the duet with Stevie. To my untrained ears she distracted from the song.

I loved Here Come Those Tears.

Younger Man is my favorite song but I am still waiting for my cd to arrive!

Just got an email that my cd was just shipped....:heart::heart:

sodascouts
09-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Well, I have to say that I, predictably, completely disagree! Stevie's voice is incredible and, as usual, she sounds fantastic with Don.

She adds so much that I can only wish that she had been used more. Why save her 'til the very end and then give her so little to do? Quite under-utilized!

L101
09-27-2015, 06:23 PM
I like Stevie on the song even though she sounds a bit different than normal... I like the way she just comes in at the end of the song, a bit like two people telling a mutual story.....it works for me :shrug:

But I am getting a bit OBSESSED with 'Here come those tears again' :heart: !! So much so, that I have to use my headphones for fear my neighbour will come in and break my laptop :grin: I love everything about that song -the way Don sounds, the tempo, the arrangement, the guitars. I much prefer this one to Jacksons original version. I have to stop listening to it now otherwise my head will explode!!

Brooke
09-28-2015, 02:33 PM
dcinga and F50, thanks so much for posting links to these songs!

I really like them both but think YDMTTS isn't a country song, so maybe that's why it's on the 'super deluxe' version. I do wish Stevie would have had more of a part and think she sounds great.

I agree with ss that I like Jackson's version of HCTTA better, but Don sounds fine. I usually like the originals best and since I love JB too, I think his is best.

Still bummed these aren't on the cd I purchased! My own stupidity though! :doh: I hope I can download them from itunes someday!

DJ
10-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the link dcinga great song.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-03-2015, 05:08 PM
As far as It Don't Matter to the Sun - Don's choice to add Stevie right at the end of the song seems like an odd choice and suddenly turning the song into a duet doesn't work that well for me. It does feel like an afterthought - 'OMG - I need to find something for my girl Stevie to sing'! I think Stevie sounds fine, but I wished he had used her on one of the other tracks and left this as a solo. It may have worked better if he had brought her in earlier similar to way Martina was used in That Old Flame.

I've always loved Here Come Those Tears Again and I think Don does a good job with it; however, I have to admit I also prefer Jackson's original rockier version. I'm with Brooke in that, more often than not, I like original versions best.

Lilah
10-07-2015, 03:12 PM
I have been and still am a big fan of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac, as well as, a bigger fan of Don Henley and Eagles. That being said, I don't enjoy Stevie on "It Don't Matter to the Sun". I was driving down a dark(not desert) highway, late at night listening to the just purchased Target CD, and I was lulled by Henley's smooth, sand-papery voice. Then Stevie's voice came on, and it was so abrupt that I honestly jerked the steering wheel in surprise. I agree with the word choice of a previous poster...It was jarring.