PDA

View Full Version : Don at Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ - Oct. 3, 2015

shunlvswx
10-04-2015, 08:09 AM
I found a video from last night. I like the vest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvXH8m6XVvE

Glennsallnighter
10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
I like it too. Apparently the set list was

1. Seven Bridges Road
2. No Thank You
3. End of the Innocence
4. Praying for Rain
5. That Old Flame
6. Heart of the Matter
7. She Sang Hymns Out of Tune
8. I Put a Spell On You
9. Let's Burn Down the Cornfield
10. Everybody Knows
11. New York Minute
12. Dirty Laundry
13. Take a Picture of This
14. Words Can Break Your Heart
15. Last Worthless Evening
16. When I Stop Dreaming
17. The Cost of Living
18. Bramble Rose
19. It Don't Matter to the Sun
20. Everybody Want to Rule the World
21. Where I Am Now

ENCORE

22. Boys of Summer
23. Train in the Distance
24. All She Want to Do is Dance

I must say if this set list is at every concert I'm impressed. All the ones I particularly like from Cass County were included

ktdids
10-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Wow, he's doing most of the album, and starting with Seven Bridges Road! Can't wait to hear how the audience responded to all the new material, and November can't get here soon enough for me!

shunlvswx
10-04-2015, 02:30 PM
A good selection of songs. Half and Half. 13 old songs(including cover songs). Don wasn't lying when he said he wasn't going to do any Eagle songs. WTG to Don. This was a good selection.

Funk 50
10-04-2015, 02:54 PM
That must one of the longest set lists Don's ever played. I hope he keeps it up. The only disappointment personally, is no A Younger Man.
Everybody Knows and I Put A Spell On You are surprises to me.

Who would've thought Everybody Wants to Rule The World would've been a stayer.
From memory, Don started performing Randy Newman's Political Science (Let's Drop The Big One) after 911 then quickly switched to the Tears For Fears cover. It's become a Henley staple.

I've just looked up, Let's Burn Down The Corn Field. I can sure hear Don singing this;

Etta James - Let's Burn Down The Corn Field
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT2MO8QuTt0

I wonder how Don feels, leaving the stage without performing Hotel California or Desperado. At some point, he'll surely miss performing them. :smile:

shunlvswx
10-04-2015, 03:02 PM
I think Don usually has Everybody Knows in his set. I was really shocked about Seven Bridges Road though.

From the setlist, it looks like a 2 and a half hour show or close to over 2 hours.

You will definitely get your money's worth. I wish I was going to one of those shows.:weep:

Don gets to rest until his next show in San Francisco tomorrow. He's probably already there.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-04-2015, 03:42 PM
I agree shun about the timing of the show being around 2 - 2 1/2 hours with that set list. That is awesome and I hope he will be able to keep it up. It's going to be pretty hard on him though, particularly when most of his past solo show ran around the 90 minute mark. He may be testing the waters to see how the songs play live and then start gradually dropping some of them. I do like his Cass County choices for the most part. I also don't remember ever hearing Let's Burn Down the Cornfield before. As I said, I'm hoping he'll be able to maintain this, but, if not, it'll be interesting to see what stays or goes.

nullstadt
10-04-2015, 04:36 PM
I was there...show was about 2:15 or so. Had at least 5 separate audio dropouts at different parts of the show, some going for well over a minute. Don was a pro, but you could tell he was unhappy with the sound crew and made a few comments on it, and also thanked the audience for their patience with the issues.

The new songs were good, but my impression from the crowd was that they felt that there was a bit too much from the new album overall. I think at one point there was 4 new songs in a row, and I think that may have been asking too much of the audience when the album is still so new, and the material he chose was not exactly 'high energy'...that's not to say that it wasn't good, but it was a bit slow at points.

Don sounded good, and his backup singers all did a great job. He also was very good about showcasing each musician at various points, and I also thought it was interesting/self-effacing that he had his own spotlight dimmed when he wasn't actively singing/playing during the songs.

Set design was pretty minimalist...there were about 40 old-time table/console radios suspended from the top of the stage over the band, and Don mentioned that some of his inspiration for the album was from listening to the radio in the 50s-60s, when you could listen to one station and hear many genres of music and 'expand your musical palate', as opposed to now when stations are so narrowly focused.

A good show overall, and if you're a big fan of Don you won't be disappointed.

sodascouts
10-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the review. A ballsy setlist - is this the first time he ever has done a setlist without HC? Brave move!

Glennsallnighter
10-04-2015, 05:53 PM
I was there....

The new songs were good, but my impression from the crowd was that they felt that there was a bit too much from the new album overall. I think at one point there was 4 new songs in a row, and I think that may have been asking too much of the audience when the album is still so new, and the material he chose was not exactly 'high energy'...that's not to say that it wasn't good, but it was a bit slow at points.

A good show overall, and if you're a big fan of Don you won't be disappointed.

Great that you were there Nullstadt and welcome to the Border. Thanks for your impressions of the show. It sounds quite a daring set list for Don, and like others have said I am rather surprised at the omission of both HC and Desperado.
The bit I have highlighted is interesting, as the same comment was made about Glenn :heart: when he did the After Hours concerts in 2012 - although I loved the LA show and was delighted that he showcased so much of his new album.
In real terms of course it doesn't make sense to do a show to promote an album and then not play many songs from it, so IMHO Don definitely did the right thing. But perhaps (as with Glenn :heart:) the more casual Eagles fan may have been expecting more of his older or Eagles work.
Anyway I hope everyone who can gets to one of Dons shows anyway. I am soooo tempted after seeing this set list

Shun, are you going to any? Surely you must be?

MaryCalifornia
10-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Welcome, Null. This all sounds great!

Backup singers must be strong, for Don to be satisfied and willing to open with 7BR! Probably the best singers you could find. Looking forward to hearing that one.

shunlvswx
10-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Shun, are you going to any? Surely you must be?

No. Sad to say. If I knew Don was going to tour this year(remember he's been crying wolf about his album for years. So you just didn't know if it will finally happen this year), I would go to see his show. I probably would had gone to Atlanta or maybe Nashville. I was really hoping Chicago date was doing the time I would be in the midwest, but I'll be gone by the time Don heads to Chicago. I already saved and paid for some of my concerts in Branson, MO. I always go to Branson, Missouri every year for vacation. I'm there to see my other favorite group. I'm going to Linden on the 28th of this month, so that will make up for that.

Plus I was hoping for dates close to me (ex. Memphis, Birmingham or New Orleans since they are only 3 hours away from me and I can drive there that day and go home right after the show). I don't like going to out of state concerts that's too far and I don't have the money to go there. I'm still hoping for more dates next year especially if the guys decide to go back to touring next year.

shunlvswx
10-04-2015, 06:58 PM
Here's an article from last night's show and pictures.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2015/10/04/don-henley-review-phoenix-tour-launch/73336166/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

shunlvswx
10-04-2015, 07:15 PM
The article will show gray lines. Keep refreshing until you finally see the words.

sodascouts
10-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the links!

Keith
10-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the review nullstadt, and welcome. Thanks for the setlist GA. Much longer than I would have expected. I hope he doesn't end up cutting too much. As long as "Heart Of The Matter" survives, I'll be happy. Of course, that's probably a sure thing. "The Cost Of Living" is my top choice from the new album, so I hope to hear that one as well. "Seven Bridges Road" would be gravy.

Woodstock
10-05-2015, 02:08 PM
I won tickets to tonight's show in San Francisco. I'm so excited! That was a great surprise. Can't wait (hope I don't get too lost on the way - SF is hard to navigate your way around, even with GPS).

Brooke
10-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Woodstock-congrats on winning! Have fun and be sure to come back and tell us all about it!

Null, thanks for your review! Sounds awesome to me!

I hope Don continues with this setlist, it's fantastic! And I agree with Ga about him doing the songs from the album! If you love Don Henley, you should want to hear his new songs! :thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
10-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Congrats Woodstock. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the show!

Null, as others have said, thanks for your review!

Now, that set list. I think it's perfect. I really don't see anything missing from it. I think that even casual fans would know that Don has a new album out, and would be using this tour to promote it. Don even said that there wouldn't be any Eagles songs and that he would focus on Cass County (as he should imo). Also, the minimalistic set design fits the theme of the album. Allow me to join Shun in the "I wish that I could go to one of these shows" club.

sodascouts
10-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Congrats Woodstock - hope you'll tell us all about it!