PDA

View Full Version : Nashville, TN at the Ryman - 10/18/15

sodascouts
10-19-2015, 02:09 AM
I'm at a gas station and about to leave for home - should take four hours - but I wanted to answer the burning question of who would make a special appearance. The answer? No one! Not one guest star. However, it was still a good show. More soon!

Glennsallnighter
10-19-2015, 02:15 AM
Glad it was a good show Soda, safe home now x

Keith
10-19-2015, 08:05 AM
I'm at a gas station and about to leave for home - should take four hours - but I wanted to answer the burning question of who would make A special appearance. The answer? No one! Not 1 guest star. However, it was still A good show. More soon!
Wow! Not one. Well, at least the "substitutes" could hold their own.

TimFan222
10-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Thought someone would appear. Great you got to see the show a second time!!!

sodascouts
10-19-2015, 06:30 PM
It was a lesson in expectations coloring perceptions. I went into the Atlanta show expecting less and was thrilled when my expectations were exceeded. I left happy. I went into Nashville expecting something extra-special and got the same as the night before. I thus left a bit disappointed, fairly or unfairly.

Freypower
10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
From Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/don-henley-covers-garths-chris-gaines-plays-country-in-nashville-20151019

longtimeeaglesfan
10-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Enjoyed the show last night at the Ryman! When Don first came out, he mentioned that he was hoarse and his voice sounded a little rough at that point. However it was not noticeable for the rest of the performance and he sounded great!

Glad they opened with Seven Bridges Road as that is one of my favorites and not included on the HOTE tour.

Don seemed very jovial and quite talkative between songs. Before the Screamin' Jay Hawkins song, Burn Down the Cornfield, Don mentioned that Screamin' Jay said he couldn't remember recording that song, "much like his memory of the Eagles recording The Long Run.

As others mentioned, there were no surprise appearances by any of his Nashville cohorts from the album, however the three ladies singing backup and stepping in on the duets dis a tremendous job and the audience loudly expressed their appreciation!

The setlist comprised the same 24 selections as the previous shows. I found a new appreciation for a couple of the songs that weren't favorites from the Cass County album. Listening to the back story and hearing them live made them that much better for me.

While Don was talking about the camera/phone policy, wouldn't you know it that my girlfriend's phone had a reminder alarm that she had forgotten about that went off while it was in my left pocket!! It wasn't too loud and was muffled in my pocket..but had to take it out to get it to shut off!! At least the people sitting close to us had a good laugh and said, "Perfect timing!"

Sitting in row L in Section 2 to the right of the main stage, I found the view to be excellent! The crowd were cooperative and remained seated except for the two fast encore numbers, Boys of Summer and All She Wants to do is Dance.

Very professional performance with no noticeable technical glitches. An excellent show overall! Very glad I could attend and will be a most memorable performance. Glad I was able to get a Ryman hatch print as a souvenir.

Keith
10-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the review "Longtime". Glad you enjoyed yourself. For me, 7BR was the main thing missing from the History tour. So, it's great to at least catch a version of it on this tour. Great choice on a hatch print as a souvenir.

Brooke
10-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Soda, so sorry to hear that there were no 'special' guests at the show. I actually was driving through Nashville Sunday and thought about mentioning to hubby that we could stop and catch Don that night, but as he had pretty much had enough of being gone from home, I decided not to! lol I really thought someone important would be there!

Longtime, thanks for your review! Glad to hear Don did well, but I figured he would! And welcome to The Border!

NightMistBlue
10-20-2015, 04:57 PM
The Ryman looks like such a gorgeous venue. Soda, did you have any time for sightseeing around Nashville?

sodascouts
10-20-2015, 10:03 PM
I've been to Nashville many times, so I just had lunch with a friend at Puckett's and nothing more before the show. I love that , though!

NightMistBlue
10-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I've never been to Nashville, but I'd like to go. I'm going to mark down this Puckett's place. I want to see the Bluebird cafe too.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Well Soda - I have to say, I, too, am very surprised that their weren't any special guests at this show.

And NMB, as many times as I've been to Nashville, I have never been to The Bluebird Cafe. I'm definitely going to make a point to go there on my next visit.

sodascouts
10-27-2015, 09:09 PM
I saw Jack Tempchin at the Bluebird Cafe a few years ago. I have to say, the service was pretty bad there and the seats are uncomfortable, but I guess when you're legendary you can get away with that, lol. I just kept reminding myself how cool it was to be in a place where so many famous people have played. I told myself the same thing sitting in those hard pews at the Ryman.