PDA

View Full Version : Glenn's Health

Glennsallnighter
11-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Sadly this probably explains why Glenn :heart: has been so quiet of late. A number of us have been worried and it seems with justification.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/honor-for-the-eagles-postponed-because-of-freys-health/2015/11/04/7bbfe2d6-832d-11e5-8bd2-680fff868306_story.html

Of course I'm sure Eagles fans everywhere join with myself and the other Borderers in sending every good wish to Glenn :heart: for successful treatment and a speedy recovery.

Freypower
11-04-2015, 05:07 PM
I will repeat what I said in the Kennedy Centre thread which is to send him all the best wishes & hopes for a full & swift recovery that I can. How awful to hear of this just before his birthday. Glenn, please take care of yourself.

zeldabjr
11-04-2015, 05:32 PM
wishing Glenn a successful surgery and recovery...poor guy...

sodascouts
11-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Poor thing. I'll be praying for him!

Brooke
11-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Me too! Good luck, Glenn! Your fans love you!

AlreadyGone95
11-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Oh man. I'm glad that the Honors can be postponed. I wish Glenn the best, and hope that he has a quick and full recovery.

EasilyTaken
11-04-2015, 07:35 PM
High hopes for a full bounce back to health, Mr. Frey.

GlennLover
11-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I'll be praying for him as well! I was just thinking the other day that he must have gotten over his major intestinal ailments as it has been 20 years since his last surgery. So sorry to hear this. :worried:

jms18222
11-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Prayers being sent.

LuvTim
11-04-2015, 10:47 PM
So sorry to hear this. All our best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

WalshFan88
11-04-2015, 11:05 PM
Get well Glenn!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-05-2015, 01:17 AM
So sorry to hear about Glenn's illness and I join my fellow Borderers in wishing him a full and speedy recovery. Glenn, I know your fans all over the world have you in their thoughts and prayers. :cheers: for a happy and healthy future!

Irishblackbear
11-05-2015, 02:08 AM
A part of u is a part of me brother, God Bless speedy recovery, you kept me sane in my darkest days of trying to get off the booze n blow with your music,......peace IBB

alexandranick
11-05-2015, 03:41 AM
hope he will get well

maryc2130
11-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Best wishes to Glenn for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

ktdids
11-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Wow, get well soon and a speedy recovery Glenn.

AzEaglesFan
11-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Praying that he will have a speedy recovery. Glad the honor can be put off until next year.

GlennLover
11-05-2015, 04:26 PM
I've never had so many Google alerts about one topic! Can't stop worrying about Glenn.

Arney
11-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Last year I had disastrous intestinal problems, which doctors proved ignorant & powerless to fix. I had to do all my own research and, after coming close to death, finally fixed them myself. I'd like to share my experience so that Glenn may be able to benefit from it & possibly not have to have as severe surgery as it seems he's in for. If you're interested & think it's appropriate, just contact me & I'll give you all the education & experience I benefited from.

I'm not selling anything. I just want to help. Glenn has been a favorite of mine since I first heard Take It Easy on AM radio back in the '70s, when it played back-to-back with Horse With No Name all day, every day. I'd love to see him back to full health, since no one should have to endure intestinal problems without hope, and doctors are worthless these days.

Let me know, and best wishes for an accelerated return to normalcy.

Freypower
11-05-2015, 05:10 PM
I have a query about this:

An attempt to reform the Eagles in 1990 was put off, in part, because of surgery to remove a large part of Frey’s intestine.

To my knowledge the first surgery had been in the late 80s (as the Post states, 1986). I thought the reunion failed because Glenn was unimpressed with the other Eagles' supposed reasons for reforming (money). Felder basically confirms this (Eliot claims Henley vetoed the reunion). I was unaware that Glenn had surgery that year. Felder states he had surgery in 1993 (and then again in 1994; I had to wait until 1995 before seeing them for the first time).

*NB Soda or Dreamer, move this to the Glenn's Health thread if you think it's more appropriate; it is just that the longer article appears in this thread so I posted here.

shunlvswx
11-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Poor Glenn. I'm sad that I won't get to see the guys get the honor next month, but I'm glad KCH will honor them next year. Usually if something happens to a honorees, it sometimes take years to get picked again. So I'm looking forward to next year when the guys get honored. I wonder if they put somebody in the guys place and just have 5 this year.

A speedy recovery for Glenn and he's back in full force next year.

GlennLover
11-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a query about this:

An attempt to reform the Eagles in 1990 was put off, in part, because of surgery to remove a large part of Frey’s intestine.

To my knowledge the first surgery had been in the late 80s (as the Post states, 1986). I thought the reunion failed because Glenn was unimpressed with the other Eagles' supposed reasons for reforming (money). Felder basically confirms this (Eliot claims Henley vetoed the reunion). I was unaware that Glenn had surgery that year. Felder states he had surgery in 1993 (and then again in 1994; I had to wait until 1995 before seeing them for the first time).

*NB Soda or Dreamer, move this to the Glenn's Health thread if you think it's more appropriate; it is just that the longer article appears in this thread so I posted here.

I thought that he was hospitalized with a bout of diverticulitis before any of his surgeries. This would have been when he was supposed to perform with Don (& one or more of the other Eagles I think) at a charity event. Glenn made a remote appearance from his hospital room explaining why he wasn't there. Would this have been 1986? I understood that his first surgery was around 1989. He was unable to do much promotion for Soul Searchin' because of it. He claimed in one interview that he was out of commission for a year.

I believed that his second surgery was in 1994 when the Eagles had to postpone part of the HFO tour until he recovered. I would have to do some research to as to dates & details. I may be mistaken about these statements.

Freypower
11-05-2015, 10:40 PM
Thanks GL. Felder states the video apology was in 1993 when they were due to perform at an antinuclear show with Stevie Nicks & Lindsey Buckingham (i.e a one off show). The second surgery was definitely 1994 as I said. So as you say, I think the previous surgery in around 1989 afer I saw him for the first time in 1988 was prior to the attempt at a proper reunion & had nothing to do with that not going ahead.

Unfortunately looking at some sites' reporting on Facebook (Rolling Stone hasn't bothered to cover it) some nasty comments are starting to be made. If you don't like someone you could at least show some respect for the fact that he is ill & refrain from posting.

GlennLover
11-05-2015, 11:12 PM
I haven't looked at any comments today so thanks for the heads up as to what is being posted now. Yesterday they were all well wishes, even from some who said they weren't fans. One comment was from a man who said he had the privilege of working with Glenn for 8 years. He called him a "great, great man". Nice to hear. :smile:

GlennLover
11-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Btw, I have heard Glenn's speech from his hospital bed & I'm sure it wasn't during a time when the Eagles were together.

On Oct 6, 2015 at this link http://popskand.com/1994-glenn-frey-goes-under-the-knife-today-enduring/, it states that Glenn underwent surgery on that date in 1994. I knew I had read that recently so I did a search.

sodascouts
11-06-2015, 12:50 AM
I have that bootleg. The concert was recorded on August 28, 1986. It was to be the first time they had played together since the breakup - it was for one of Don's benefits to help the environment.

As far as I know, it went down like this:

1) 1986 - hospitalized but no surgery
2) 1988ish - 1st surgery (before 1990 reunion, the breaking-off of which had nothing to do with Glenn's health, but it kept him from touring for Soul Searchin')
3) 1994 - 2nd surgery

That's all I can gather from various interviews and such. I can't find an exact date for the first surgery, but I'm pretty sure it's what kept him home in 1988/1989 when he normally would have been promoting his album.

PS I am going to go ahead and move all these posts to Glenn's health thread.

PPS Stevie and Lindsey never did a one-off benefit in 1993, unless you count them performing "Don't Stop" with Fleetwood Mac for Clinton's inauguration. Felder is confused in more ways than one!

MaryCalifornia
11-06-2015, 12:59 AM
Very sorry to hear Glenn has to have surgery and I hope he hasn't been in too much discomfort these past months. Everyone on the Border is sending kind and healing thoughts your way, Glenn!!:heart:

GlennLover
11-06-2015, 07:09 AM
I have that bootleg. The concert was recorded on August 28, 1986. It was to be the first time they had played together since the breakup - it was for one of Don's benefits to help the environment.

2) 1988ish - 1st surgery (before 1990 reunion, the breaking-off of which had nothing to do with Glenn's health, but it kept him from touring for Soul Searchin')
3) 1994 - 2nd surgery

That's all I can gather from various interviews and such. I can't find an exact date for the first surgery, but I'm pretty sure it's what kept him home in 1988/1989 when he normally would have been promoting his album.

PPS Stevie and Lindsey never did a one-off benefit in 1993, unless you count them performing "Don't Stop" with Fleetwood Mac for Clinton's inauguration. Felder is confused in more ways than one!

Thanks Soda. That pretty much confirms what I thought happened. I just didn't know the details of the 1986:smile: hospitalization. I knew you would. :smile:

Funk 50
11-06-2015, 11:12 AM
I remember a 1992 radio interview to promote Strange Weather, I think it was with Nicky Horne. Nicky asked Glenn about the song Soul Searching and Glenn answered that he had an extended period of time to do some Soul Searching after he had recorded the song. He may have mentioned that he was recuperating after being hospitalized.

Such a pity that Glenn didn't get a chance to tour/promote the Soul Searching album. It has some great songs on it.

secret squirrel
11-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Get better soon, Glenn. Thinking of you.

This probably doesn't say any more than we already know.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/11/04/ailing-eagle-glenn-frey-told-to-take-it-easy/

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

SoaringRockyMountainWay
11-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I hope you have a speedy recovery, Glenn. I will be praying for you and I wish you all the best.

Freypower
11-06-2015, 05:47 PM

3) 1994 - 2nd surgery

Thank you Soda.

Remember that I DID see him in 1988 (August 5) & he had been here earlier that year at Expo in Brisbane (April 30)so I would have thought the surgery would have been in 1989.

Just to clarify, that antinuclear gig apparently included Lindsey, not Stevie, as well as Don & Tim, where Felder claims he was invited to join in & then Glenn apolgised for not being well enough. It was at Long Beach. The time frame he gives for this is around 1993. He may have decided to lump all these pre-reunion gigs together. For anyone who wants to look this up it is page 245 of Heaven & Hell, most of which page consists of whining about how badly Glenn treated him.

UndertheWire
11-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Felder's book is a mess when talking about 1982-1993 (chapter 15). He describes lots of events, jumping back and forth in time. I tried to make sense of it and posted here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=292193&postcount=802). The sequence was something like 1982, 1992, 1985, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1990, 1986, 1993. Felder and his co-writer don't have a clue what was going on when in the lives of the other band members and may have been relying on Marc Eliot.

UndertheWire
11-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Soda posted this in a retro thread (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91730&postcount=1):

People Magazine - January 15, 1990

BANDING BIRDS

Although their representatives won't confirm it, sources close to Glenn Frey and Don Henley say the two former Eagles will meet later this month and begin writing songs together with an eye toward an album and a possible tour.

Frey and Henley co-founded the Eagles in 1971 and remained the principal songwriters in the band until its demise in 1982. Both musicians prospered as solo artists during the '80s, but the sum of the parts never quite equaled the success of the whole.

Henley, whose most recent album was The End of the Innocence, is concluding a tour of Japan and Taiwan. Frey for the past several years has been battling diverticulitis, an intestinal inflammation, and underwent surgery just before Christmas to have two inches of his intestine removed. He spent the holidays recuperating at his mother's house in Florida but plans to get together with Henley as soon as he's up and around. So December 1989 for the first surgery.

sodascouts
11-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Well, there you go! Thank you for finding that. I have such a wretched memory that I can't even recall my own posts!

GlennLover
11-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks UtW. I had forgotten about him recooperating at his parents' home over Christmas.

Glennsallnighter
11-07-2015, 05:13 AM
I must say that bad and all as this news is I have been heartened by the amount of genuine fans who are sending so many good wishes to Glenn :heart:. Of course there will always be the few nasty comments but I think the mood on FB at least is generally very supportive of him. I'd love to think that he might be able to access at least some of them and know how loved and respected he actually is and how many people genuinely want to see him fully well again

shunlvswx
11-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Have we heard or read something about Glenn before this news came out. I don't remember if Glenn did something after the end of the tour. I know Joe and Don were busy with touring, but I don't remember about Glenn. Wasn't he at a game?

AlreadyGone95
11-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Have we heard or read something about Glenn before this news came out. I don't remember if Glenn did something after the end of the tour. I know Joe and Don were busy with touring, but I don't remember about Glenn. Wasn't he at a game?

That was Timothy. He was in NYC not long ago. If you look at the laat few pages of Timothy's photo thread, you'll see a photo of him and his son at a game.

I haven't heard or read anything about Glenn since July until now. I believe that I made a comment about how quiet Glenn was not long ago.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Blessings and prayers for s speedy recovery.
Its sad that it has to be postponed but nice of them to do it.

AlreadyGone95
11-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Took ya long enough Rolling Stone. (Nothing new though.)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/eagles-postpone-kennedy-center-honors-due-to-glenn-freys-surgery-20151107

AlreadyGone95
11-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I've got an inquiry, and I'm not sure where to post it. Since it deals with Glenn's health, I thought that here would be best. Mods if you want to move to a more appropriate place, I understand.

Yesterday, I was reading through the HFO celebration thread, and I came across an old article from 1994 that someone had posted. In it, they talk about the 1990 reunion try. Here's what Glenn says about why he didn't do it.

I wasn't ready," Frey says now of that period. "I had just remarried . . . had just had major surgery to remove a section of my large intestine--a congenital thing since birth--that left me laying on my back in Cedars-Sinai with a bunch of staples in my stomach.
When something like that happens, you lay back and say, 'What's important?' The answer to me was write songs in the morning, play golf in the afternoon and have dinner with my beautiful new wife who was just pregnant with our first child. The timing was bad for me

I've always heard that Glenn's GI problems came from the cocaine and other drugs he used back in the day, not something that he's had since birth. Has anyone else heard Glenn mention this before or has he always said that it came from the drugs? :shrug:

Here's the link to the article. This is page 3. The beginning of ehat I quoted is on page 2.
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-22/entertainment/ca-60744_1_hotel-california/3

11-10-2015, 01:20 AM
I have no idea, so this is purely speculative - but maybe it's both. He could have been born with the condition, but it was aggravated by cocaine.

Topkat
11-10-2015, 12:43 PM
I do know that one time when he was in NY & I believe it was during the HFO tour, he became ill & went to a gastro dr. here in NY. I know he has has continuous issues with this, & I never heard it was related to drugs.

My bosses son had an tumor in his intestines at age 31 & he is also a doctor doing residency & had to have major surgery. He lives a very healthy lifesyle. I know he doesn't do drugs, that's for sure.
I don't believe this condition is related to drug problems, but possibly more genetic. Not sure if anyone in Glenn's family has had this or similar condition, but could be.

AlreadyGone95
11-10-2015, 01:13 PM
I have no idea, so this is purely speculative - but maybe it's both. He could have been born with the condition, but it was aggravated by cocaine.

I was thinking the same thing Dreamer.

TK, here's a quote from GFO in the Quotable Frey section where he's talking about living right.

I got sick. I was supposed to do a benefit concert with Henley, and I ended up in the hospital with diverticulitis. It's from burgers and beer and blow and broads -- all the bad stuff I'd been doing to myself.

Here's a quote from the Washington post article that broke the news of Glenn's surgery and the postponement of the KCH. (It's from the longer article in the KCH thread)

Those issues date back to the 1980s, when Frey spoke about the damage he believed he had done to his body during the band’s heyday, when drugs and alcohol flowed freely.

I've always seen/heard Glenn attribute his problems to drugs until that article.

UndertheWire
11-10-2015, 01:59 PM
I expect he's been given different explanations by his doctors over the years. It may be that initially they put it down to an unhealthy lifestyle but later looked at his family's medical history. There might be a link with his RA.

Meanwhile, we should all eat our wholegrains and fibrous vegetables!

Topkat
11-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Well, I've recently been told that I have a mild case of diverticulitis. My doctor says it's due to lack of fiber. I have no intestinal issues, but I just had a kidney stone blasted.

As for Glenns quote, maybe he just was saying he wasn't living such a healthy lifestyle because he was asked about it & had to reply. I mean who wants to discuss their colon problems with the press, or anyone for that matter????
An unhealthy lifestyle can be the cause of any number of problems
I think the intestinal issue is something else & unrelated to diverticulitis, but I'm no gastro MD, LOL

In any case I hope he is doing better. Don't think he's been doing drugs for many years now, so the recent problems aren't from burgers, broads, blow or whatever he said there. Just hope the surgery is a success, & he gets well.

MaryCalifornia
11-15-2015, 02:26 PM
I wonder if we will get a health update from Glenn's assistant, like we did for Timothy?

Glennhoney
11-15-2015, 04:22 PM
I've been wondering the same thing...Hopefully we will hear something....I wonder if the operation has taken place already...I read somewhere only in December??

Freypower
11-15-2015, 05:37 PM
It's possible we may hear about it from Jack Tempchin's Facebook page. Sadly Glenn's own page is lifeless for the most part. The page didn't even post anything itself. Neither did his fellow band members' pages. I was surprised that Joe who is the only one of them to apparently show any interest in FB didn't post anything.

Glennsallnighter
11-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Maybe he asked them not to. I'd say he only gave the information out due to the cancellation of the Kennedy Center because some explanation to the organisers was necessary. He is a very private person.

sodascouts
11-15-2015, 10:03 PM
I wasn't much of a fan the last time this happened in 1994, but from what I can gather, once he was out of the hospital, there were no updates until the band announced he was well enough to reschedule dates.

Aussiefan
11-16-2015, 06:04 AM
I do know that one time when he was in NY & I believe it was during the HFO tour, he became ill & went to a gastro dr. here in NY. I know he has has continuous issues with this, & I never heard it was related to drugs.

My bosses son had an tumor in his intestines at age 31 & he is also a doctor doing residency & had to have major surgery. He lives a very healthy lifesyle. I know he doesn't do drugs, that's for sure.
I don't believe this condition is related to drug problems, but possibly more genetic. Not sure if anyone in Glenn's family has had this or similar condition, but could be.

Diverticulitis is a congenital condition that when it flares, and won't settle with medical management requires surgery to remove the infected/inflamed part of the bowel. Don't think drugs would effect it. Alcohol might antagonise it.

GlennLover
11-18-2015, 09:38 PM
I don't know how reliable this source is http://www.961therocket.com/onair/chip-nelson-3752/glenn-freys-surgery-butch-trucks-december-14135125/

It says "Eagles' singer-guitarist Glenn Frey has undergone intestinal surgery and is said to be doing "better."

I pray that it's true.

sodascouts
11-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I wish they'd cited where they got their information, but I certainly hope it's true.

GlennLover
11-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Yes. I got it in a Google alert. Hopefully we will hear something from a more reliable source soon.

SilverAcidRayne
11-20-2015, 11:15 PM
hey everyone... I'm just catching up and I hear the Glenn isn't doing too well? does anyone know how he's doing and what's going on?

11-21-2015, 01:43 AM
SAR - We haven't heard any updates about Glenn health since his recent surgery. Everything we know about can be found here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958).

GlennLover
11-21-2015, 09:11 AM
SAR - We haven't heard any updates about Glenn health since his recent surgery. Everything we know about can be found here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5958).

Do we know that he has had the surgery?

Glennhoney
11-21-2015, 03:40 PM
I hope he IS recovering....

UndertheWire
11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
I think there will be update before the 6th Dec. When reports start to come out about the recording of the Kennedy Center Awards show, there will be mention of the Eagles and the reason why they aren't there. So long as it's good news, surely it would be better to have it reported that Glenn is recovering from surgery than to repeat a month-old press release.

11-21-2015, 11:22 PM
I went ahead and merged the threads about Glenn's health. In the statement the band released on November 4th, all it said was that "Frey, 66, has had a recurrence of previous intestinal issues, which will require major surgery and a lengthy recovery period.” Since that was about 2 1/2 weeks ago, even though it hasn't been confirmed, I assumed he has had the surgery. I can't think of any reason they would delay - this is a very painful condition that can't be treated with meds so I don't know of any advantage to waiting - it seems like it would just worsen over time. And UTW, I hope you are right about that update.

Topkat
11-22-2015, 09:16 AM
I would also think he has already had his surgery, and is having some private time for recovery. In this case I would think no news is good news.
I'm sure when he's feeling better, he will release some kind of statement, but I think it would be a good 6 weeks of recovery for this type of thing.
We are all wishing the best for him & hope he's resting up without being bothered by the media. :heart:

SilverAcidRayne
11-22-2015, 08:39 PM

Ok... i'm sending out positive vibes hopes he gets well soon. he's a good dude :heart:

sodascouts
11-26-2015, 11:14 AM
In such cases, typically no news is good news.

Glennsallnighter
11-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Definitely!

Glennhoney
12-14-2015, 09:32 PM
..still no news??..anyone??

AlreadyGone95
12-14-2015, 10:55 PM
I've checked my Google Alerts every day for any info, and so far, there's been nothing.

UndertheWire
12-15-2015, 08:48 AM
He ignored my advice to put out an update before the Kennedy Awards SHow was recorded, so all the reports refer back to the November. There wasn't even a mention of Glenn's health in Don Henley's interview with Howard Stern. I guess we'll have to wait until he turns up at a sporting event or charity do.

sodascouts
12-15-2015, 12:35 PM
I suggest we all write him get well cards / fan letters. I may even put that suggestion on GFO. Here is the address:

Glenn Frey
c/o Eagles Touring Company
1100 Glendon Avenue
Suite 2000
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Glennhoney
12-15-2015, 12:39 PM
..fantastic idea..

AlreadyGone95
12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
It'd be cool if we could send him a big get well card from the forum as well.

Freypower
12-15-2015, 04:41 PM
I suggest we all write him get well cards / fan letters. I may even put that suggestion on GFO. Here is the address:

Glenn Frey
c/o Eagles Touring Company
1100 Glendon Avenue
Suite 2000
Los Angeles, CA 90024

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to do that.

Surely his health is a private matter & he isn't going to issue any statements.

12-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Yep - I agree, FP. I'd be surprised if there was any kind of announcement after all of this time. I guess we should all operate under the assumption that 'no news is good news'. I'm definitely planning on sending some good well greetings. I really need to make time for that very soon.

Brooke
12-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Yes, I will send a card too. Don't know why I hadn't thought of it either!

Maybe he will have time to read some of his mail during his recovery! :idea:

ETA: Done! I just happened to have a Christmas card with me and wrote a get well message inside along with Christmas greetings!

Freypower
12-16-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm torn now because as I said it hadn't even occured to me. If there were a collective Border card I'd be in that. :?

sodascouts
12-22-2015, 12:07 AM
I'm working on mine, although at this rate, I doubt it will make it to him before New Year's!

Glennhoney
12-30-2015, 08:33 PM
...just read a comment on the Kennedy Honors video saying that "Glenn was very ill and needed all our prayers"....PLEASE does anybody know anything?????:weep:

Freypower
12-30-2015, 09:24 PM
...just read a comment on the Kennedy Honors video saying that "Glenn was very ill and needed all our prayers"....PLEASE does anybody know anything?????:weep:

No. Like I said, this is a private matter.

12-30-2015, 10:33 PM
I agree that this is a private matter with regard to when and if Glenn chooses to address it or update the public on his progress. However, Glenn is a public figure and public announcements have been made so it is certainly natural for his fans to inquire and if he does choose to make any additional statements, then surely we will post about it here.

GH - Where did you read this comment? Can you post a link? I just checked a YouTube video of the segment from last night and Stephen Colbert stated that the band postponed their honor until next year due to Glenn Frey's "health complications".

Freypower
12-31-2015, 07:19 PM
I agree that fans are concerned & would like to know how it went.

Glennhoney
12-31-2015, 09:22 PM
I will try to "relocate" that comment...just has me worried...:weep:

GlennLover
12-31-2015, 09:36 PM
I will try to "relocate" that comment...just has me worried...:weep:

I hope they were talking about before he had the surgery!

Lisa
01-06-2016, 12:23 PM
It is a new year.
(Things will get better).

StephUK
01-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Sorry to read about Glenn's health problems. I join the rest of you in wishing him all the best & a speedy recovery.

OutlawManNJ
01-20-2016, 03:10 AM
So this article clarifies what had been going on for the last few months. Reading it does it say that Frey was in a Coma for over a month and that a month ago doctors pretty much gave up? Am I understanding that correctly?

http://pagesix.com/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-had-been-hospitalized-since-november-says-bob-seger/

“First, he caught one set of pneumonia, then he caught a very virulent set of pneumonia. He was in a coma, and he’d come out, but then he couldn’t breathe. They’d put him back in a coma,” Seger said. “About a month ago, they had to throw up their hands.”

Brooke
01-20-2016, 10:49 AM
I think you've got it right, OM. Sounds like he went through a very bad time.

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 10:56 AM
I agree Brooke. I'm thinking that he must have been placed in a coma sometime in November. I wonder if Glenn was already in a coma when they announced the need for the surgery? It's just so hard to take in. Just a few months before, he looked fine and healthy at the last few HOTE shows. :weep:

ETA: It's amazing that you take medicine for a condition, and the side effects of it party causes your death. I don't know about any other Americans, but I won't be able to take seeing those tv ads for medicines.

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Its sad what Glenn went through these last 2 months. It could had been longer before it got worse in November.

We were soo worried about Glenn when we didn't hear anything and then bam!!! He's gone. :weep:

NightMistBlue
01-20-2016, 11:15 AM
ETA: It's amazing that you take medicine for a condition, and the side effects of it partly causes your death.

And Glenn was getting "the best" medical care. It stopped me in my tracks to read Azoff's comments in the L.A. Times that the meds for arthritis caused Glenn's previous ulcer and colitis issues to recur (if I understood correctly) and ultimately led to his death. Tragic.

I can only imagine what Glenn was enduring through that last, long tour. I noticed at the Miami show in July he had some of his fingers wrapped and it made me wonder if he suffered from arthritis (as many guitarists do). You just never know what people are going through.

UndertheWire
01-20-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm glad they were able to keep it so quiet as the last thing his doctor's, family and friends needed was the press constantly asking for updates at a time when there was no good news. From the lack of questions, I believe that those who needed to know, knew.

Freypower
01-20-2016, 05:11 PM
And Glenn was getting "the best" medical care. It stopped me in my tracks to read Azoff's comments in the L.A. Times that the meds for arthritis caused Glenn's previous ulcer and colitis issues to recur (if I understood correctly) and ultimately led to his death. Tragic.

I can only imagine what Glenn was enduring through that last, long tour. I noticed at the Miami show in July he had some of his fingers wrapped and it made me wonder if he suffered from arthritis (as many guitarists do). You just never know what people are going through.

Most of us had seen the wrapped fingers numerous times & knew about the rheumatoid arthritis. What we didn't know is that it would kill him.

DJ
01-21-2016, 04:28 PM
R.A, of which I have, is an autoimmune disease. Your own immune system fights it's self. A lot of RA drugs kill your GI tract, I have personal experience with this, but Ulcerative Colitis is also an auto immune disease in it's self. It can cause infection in your bowel leading to infections throughout the body.Using RA drugs to modulate the symptoms of RA also weakens the immune system to fight off infection. For example some RA drugs were used when Chemo first came into the picture for cancer. It kills or slows the immune system to stop it from say "acting incorrectly". Pneumonia as we all know is a serious infection of the lungs. I know personally if I have to take antibiotics I cannot take my RA drug. With this said it's a dicey combination to fight auto immune diseases and infection in your body at the same time. Auto Immune diseases can also cause inflammation not only in joints, such as RA, but in your lungs, heart, etc. More research needs to be done about Auto Immune diseases. I also have another Auto Immune disease Lupus. In reading literature from the Lupus Foundation they do not receive enough money to do as much research as say cancer does to research these diseases. It's a sad situation, but hopefully with all the celebrity Glenn had this can bring more awareness to these diseases and how they really are just as dangers and hard to treat as cancers, etc..

Sorry if I was too technical. But I live with this "crap" everyday and wonder what's it's doing to my body..

My experience says beware of what is going into your body to help fight something that your body is doing to it's self.

Brooke
01-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks for this information on RA, DJ.

My husband turned 60 yesterday and he has RA (so his primary dr says) but not bad enough to take any meds for it. He has heard enough about the meds to keep him from taking it for as long as possible. He takes ibuprofen. He's still active and does carpentry work, but from time to time has pain in his back and shoulders mostly. Hopefully he will never succumb to this kind of meds.

DJ
01-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Thanks for this information on RA, DJ.

My husband turned 60 yesterday and he has RA (so his primary dr says) but not bad enough to take any meds for it. He has heard enough about the meds to keep him from taking it for as long as possible. He takes ibuprofen. He's still active and does carpentry work, but from time to time has pain in his back and shoulders mostly. Hopefully he will never succumb to this kind of meds.

I hope he never has to take prescription medication for it. I also take these medications because I have Lupus, which can be very organ damaging. I am lucky it has not affected any of mine. I get pain and swelling throughout my body. There are days I do not move very well. It is nasty. But I try to keep active and positive, I have a lot of life to live. :smile:

GlennLover
01-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Cindy, Glenn's wife has Lupus. They were both active in charity work to aid in research to combat the disease.

maryc2130
01-23-2016, 09:46 AM
From Bernie's statement, it seemed like he didn't even know how much pain Glenn was most likely putting up with every day while they were touring. That, and the fact that there was very little publicity even when Glenn became gravely ill, makes me think he wanted to downplay his illness. I like to think it was because he loved what he was doing so much that it was worth it to him.

Glennsallnighter
01-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Well sadly, despite all the prayers and good wishes sent for Glenn :heart: recovery was not to be. As a mark of respect and because I don't want his family or those close to him to read it and be involved in speculation and debate about his health issues I am now closing off the thread. RIP Glenn :heart: