PDA

View Full Version : Randy's Performance @ The Capital Centre 1977

Maud@1950
11-13-2015, 10:12 AM
I have been a long-time Eagles, and hard as it is to say, I didn't get really into them until after the member changes, break-up, and reunion. One of my very favorite songs is "Take it To The Limit". I'd been listening to this song for years on CD, but had never heard it performed live by Randy. My son brought his phone into the kitchen the other day while I was doing dishes and had it programmed to play the Eagles for me while I cleaned, because that's what I listen to when I work around the house. Well!! I had never heard this song live before (The Capital Centre, 1977), and I have to say I was totally blown away. It gave me goosebumps all over. I listened to it at least five times before my son wrestled his phone away from me. I thought it was a stunning performance. I see that he's having health problems, among other things going on in his life. I sincerely hope he can overcome these battles and wish him the very best.

Brooke
11-13-2015, 10:54 AM
Wow, Maud, had you been living under a rock? Never heard Take It to the Limit? Just kidding of course!

Welcome to the Border! There's tons of info here and you can learn all kinds of good stuff about our favorite band!

ETA: I see you said 'live' :brickwall: :lol:

NightMistBlue
11-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Welcome, Maud! Randy is indeed a very talented and special man. It's great that so many people have discovered or rediscovered him in the last several years, and are expressing their heartfelt wishes for his health and happiness.

P.S. Your son sounds like a sweet and thoughtful kid. :)

LuvTim
11-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Capital Centre 1997 is Randy at his finest, IMO. Love that particular performance of TITTL so very much. :-) So glad you have discovered it, too, Maud!

DJ
11-13-2015, 10:41 PM
I agree with LUVTIM Maude, that was one of Randy's finest performances.
You should check out the songs, Certain Kinda Fool, Midnight Flyer, Most of Us are Sad, Is It True just to name a few of the songs Randy was lead on in the Eagles. Welcome to the Border.

Eagles7
06-28-2016, 01:34 AM
There's another live version on You Tube..maybe fron 1976. Randy is wearing a white tee with some orang and yellow design on front..just like one that Joe wore ( or maybe the same one..haha. Listen to that and compare. It's good , but Capital Centre, 1977 is his masterpiece.

I love Glenn smiling with delight and Felder giving Randy a little two finger signal and Randy giving it back. ( wonder what that gesture was...it was kind of like a peace symbol shake.)

Jeremy Lawrence
06-28-2016, 07:59 AM
That Cap Centre rendition is almost to good to be live.
-jl

buffyfan145
06-28-2016, 10:54 AM
This is my favorite performance of my fav Eagles song too!!! :D Randy was amazing in this and I too love how delighted Glenn was in this.

Annoying Twit
06-28-2016, 01:17 PM
I really like Randy's live performances of TITTL. And clearly the audience and the other Eagles really enjoyed it as well. It's sad that this song was one of the causes of him leaving. I can understand he didn't want to be centre stage, but he really did a fabulous job live.

NightMistBlue
06-28-2016, 02:44 PM
The irony was that the Eagles had to retire this popular song when Randy left/was fired, as Timmy wouldn't sing it.

I wonder if Randy would have preferred singing "Try and Love Again." We'll never know I suppose, unless Joe can shed some light with his memoirs.

Freypower
06-28-2016, 07:07 PM
The irony was that the Eagles had to retire this popular song when Randy left/was fired, as Timmy wouldn't sing it.

I wonder if Randy would have preferred singing "Try and Love Again." We'll never know I suppose, unless Joe can shed some light with his memoirs.

Randy wasn't fired (not even Felder claims this. He left after his 'dispute' with Glenn, true, but he was not fired. They tried to persuade him to stay). They started playing the song again in 2001. You can call this nitpicking if you like but the song was played by them for 14 years after they reformed.

NightMistBlue
06-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Did the whole band try to persuade Randy to stay, or just Joe and Felder? I guess different versions have been put forth, like Rashomon. Randy said he apologized to Glenn the day after their fracas in Knoxville but Glenn refused to accept his apology.

Freypower
06-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Eliot states that he left after the tour ended. Meisner says nobody was talking to him. Felder claims he & Joe tried to persuade Randy not to leave BEFORE the fight with Glenn.

MaryCalifornia
06-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Timmy wouldn't sing it.

Do we have a source for this, NMB? Upon being invited to join the Eagles, it seems like Timothy would have done anything Glenn and Don asked of him. I think THEY didn't want him to sing it, because they were protective of him AND they didn't want inevitable comparisons to Randy, singing his signature song, just after he left the band. Of course nobody would sing it like Randy did. But I've never heard that TBS refused to sing it...

Annoying Twit
06-29-2016, 02:09 AM
Has TBS ever sung TITTL? Anywhere?

EDIT: I don't mean co-singing it with Richard Marx & Randy - I mean taking the lead.

NightMistBlue
06-29-2016, 09:47 AM
I had always heard that Timothy declined to sing it because "it's Randy's song."

Brooke
06-29-2016, 10:17 AM
I had always heard that Timothy declined to sing it because "it's Randy's song."

This is what I've heard too.

LJH
06-29-2016, 02:55 PM

I read this somewhere too, but to save my life I couldn't remember where. Who knows if it's true or not.

I believe Timothy could totally do it justice but it wouldn't be the same, any more than Randy doing 'I Can't Tell You Why' - IMO, they're signature songs and simply couldn't be as magical sung by another artist. I loved Glenn and I miss Glenn but his TITTL never did much for me for this very reason. JMHO - hold your fire, please. :smile:

Annoying Twit
06-29-2016, 06:20 PM
I'm aware that Tim didn't sing TITTL as it was Randy's song, but I wondered if there was an exception sometime. For some reason. It seems not.

Funk 50
06-29-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm sure Randy doesn't hold any grudges now but he was very angry with Walsh and Felder when he left the Eagles.
Apparently, during the recording of Hotel California, Joe, Don and Randy decided to abandon Frey and Henley and form a separate band. After the incredible success of the album, after it was released, the two guitarists had second thoughts. They abandoned Randy and remained with Frey and Henley.

The Eagles were going to release Try And Love Again as a fourth single from Hotel California, to appease Randy but they couldn't convince him to stay.

I bet Randy has sang Take It To The limit at almost every show he's played since leaving the Eagles.

During the Hotel California tour, the Eagles occasionally performed Take It To The Limit, plus a few other ballads, with a 40 piece string orchestra. That must have been some audio /visual spectacle.

Eagles7
07-08-2016, 02:54 AM
That's so classy of Timothy to not sing TITTL because it was Randy's song! Then years later, Timothy makes a classy acknowledgement of Randy being in the band at the beginning at the Rock & Roll hall of fame.

I never thought Glenn should start back singing it..and Eagle fan of duration just couldn't dig that.

Brooke
07-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Seems kind of a double standard if Randy continued to sing the song after he left the band when that was one of the reasons he left. I wonder why he made himself do it.......it was the song he was known for! He had to!

GlennLover
07-08-2016, 10:31 AM
I don't have a reference now as it was a number of years ago, but I remember hearing that when Timothy joined the band he said that he wouldn't sing any of the songs on which Randy sang lead. I understood that Timothy did this in respect for Randy.

NightMistBlue
07-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Tim is such a stand-up dude. Much respect to that guy from Sacramento.

Eagles7
07-08-2016, 12:05 PM
That's so classy of Timothy to not sing TITTL because it was Randy's song! Then years later, Timothy makes a classy acknowledgement of Randy being in the band at the beginning at the Rock & Roll hall of fame.

I never thought Glenn should start back singing it..and Eagle fan of duration just couldn't dig that.

I wish Joe had chosen another song in his shows as a tribute to Glen too.

travlnman2
07-08-2016, 12:05 PM
I love Tim as a bassist to. It was so heartwarming to see him give Randy credit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Randy was very grateful for that. I think he feels the same about the Kennedy Center Honnores

GlennLover
07-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Glenn started singing TITTL in his solo shows in the eighties. I suppose that's why he sang it once the Eagles decided to put it in their set list. It stands to reason that as one of their bigg hits they would put it in their shows at some point.

LuvTim
07-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Tim is such a stand-up dude. Much respect to that guy from Sacramento.

Agreed, NMB. :nod::heart:

sodascouts
07-09-2016, 02:47 PM
The main reason Glenn was so upset that Randy refused to sing TITTL (besides the lack of professionalism) was how great it was live. Glenn said that when Randy sang that song, it brought the house down. It was a highlight of the show.

When Randy refused, he told Randy that he owed it to their fans to sing it for them. I always thought it was interesting that Glenn framed it that way - that Randy needed to do it for the fans. The Eagles would've still sold out regardless. They were huge... but Glenn cared about what the fans wanted. He knew people were looking forward to hearing it, and he didn't want to let them down.

While Glenn's version of TITTL wasn't quite as powerful as Randy's, it still got a huge response. It's an incredible song - my favorite - and I'm very glad he carried on with it.

Annoying Twit
07-09-2016, 05:28 PM
I've said this further up the thread, but look at live versions with Randy singing TITTL. It's not just the audience going wild, it's the reactions of the other Eagles (sans Don H who looks more inscrutable.) Glenn in particular looks as if he's loving it.

Freypower
07-09-2016, 08:48 PM
I agree with you, except that I don't think Frey should have performed the song. That's Meisner's song, he sung it so well that he will always own it, so it's best leave it to him. I completely respect Timmy for the way he went about making his own way in the band. He's a class act, in my opinion.

But Frey had a point. TITTL is also my favorite. If I went to see them live and Meisner didn't sing it, I know that I'd be really disappointed. I'm not sure if Meisner had a problem with the whole song or just that massive high note at the end. I wish I knew why they didn't just drop the key like he did in his solo career.

Meisner strikes me as a modest person, but I'll bet he's also stubborn as hell. Granted, I don't know that for a fact, but that's the vibe I get from him. It's always the quiet ones you have to watch. LOL

I wish that he was still singing.

*All of this is only my opinion.

Glenn wrote the music for TITTL so in my view it was as much 'his' song as it was Meisner's. He had every right to sing it - far more so than Tim did, the person so many think should have sung it.

Eagles7
07-09-2016, 10:04 PM
I remember hearing Glenn say that in Japan they would just go crazy when Randy hit that note.

I just ran across this tonight. It's a sweet version and so good to see Randy singing. This is a Poco reunion for Farm Aid in 90, I think. Most people have to make adjustments in key as they age., but it was still nice to see Randy performing and pretty healthy. Felder said he was the sweetest man you could ever work with.

You know what makes me mad.. The 77 Cap Center TITTL is blocked on You Tube! Grrrrr. Guess I will have to buy that live Dvd.

https://youtu.be/IqpJnvlO3TE

Ive always been a dreamer
07-09-2016, 11:07 PM
All I can say is that while Randy's original version is my favorite, I am so glad that the band resumed performing the song. As has been stated, the song is one of the band's most well-loved songs and the fans wanted to hear it. At every show I ever attended, it was always a highlight often receiving a standing ovation. I'm sure that's why Glenn continued to perform it, and rightfully so, IMO. And as an aside, I've seen Glenn perform an electric version of the song in some of his solo shows that was fantastic - I preferred it to the acoustic version that he performed in Eagles shows.

As far as Randy, he does come across as a sweet and even-tempered man. But, it is pretty well documented that alcohol and/or drug abuse changed his demeanor as is often the case. So, I'm sure things were much more volatile in the band whenever they were under the influence.

NightMistBlue
07-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Randy, like all songwriters, appreciates when people perform his song, as they get performance royalties. Didn't he ask the Eagles in the 90s to put the song in their setlist?

UndertheWire
07-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Randy, like all songwriters, appreciates when people perform his song, as they get performance royalties. Didn't he ask the Eagles in the 90s to put the song in their setlist?
Indeed. If the song is "respectfully" put aside, Randy gets no income from it, whereas he has received royalties from Glenn singing it in concert and in the recordings of the Millenium Show and Farewell 1.

sodascouts
07-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Point well made. People who wish that the song had never been performed after Randy left are inadvertently wishing away a major source of his income. The band was helping Randy by performing it. Every single time they did so, money went into his pocket.

travlnman2
07-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Well even if he wasn't getting income from To the limit live he still gets royalties form album sales before long run both performance and songwriting. Especially Their Greatest Hits Vol 1.

Brooke
07-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Very good point about Randy making money from it every time it is performed. And being one of their biggest hits, fans want to hear it. Randy or Glenn. When Randy quit, it's only fitting that Glenn do it. I'm so glad he did as it's one of my favorites too. And at the shows I've been to, it's a huge crowd pleaser!

UndertheWire
07-11-2016, 03:44 PM
It was one of the highlights of the show I saw in 2014.

randysgirl
09-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Randy's 1977 Capital Center performance is the masterpiece. I always liked the song and had the record when it originally was released. Not until HOTE had I heard or seen a live version. I was totally mesmerized/blown away by this performance.
That performance in HOTE is what led me to research Randy and that's how I found this board.
Joe Walsh was correct when he said that Randy never knew how great he was.

East Texas Girl
09-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Randy's 1977 Capital Center performance is the masterpiece. I always liked the song and had the record when it originally was released. Not until HOTE had I heard or seen a live version. I was totally mesmerized/blown away by this performance.
That performance in HOTE is what led me to research Randy and that's how I found this board.
Joe Walsh was correct when he said that Randy never knew how great he was.

I totally agree RG. I have been a Eagles fan for a long time but did not know anything about the individual guys until after watching HOTE in February of this year. TITTL has always been my favorite song, I just did not who sang it other than the Eagles. I have watched that video over and over and can not get enough of it.
I too started researching the Eagles and Randy and found this board. And I have learned quiet a lot since then ~ thanks to fellow borders!
Prayers to Randy!!

Delilah
09-12-2016, 05:00 PM
I always liked the song, but I didn't appreciate how awesome it was until I saw Randy's live performances of it on YT. They've been pulled now but it was heartwarming to read all the positive comments about Randy. I agree, "a masterpiece".

Delilah
11-11-2016, 04:36 PM
There's another live version on You Tube..maybe fron 1976. Randy is wearing a white tee with some orang and yellow design on front..just like one that Joe wore ( or maybe the same one..haha. Listen to that and compare. It's good , but Capital Centre, 1977 is his masterpiece.

I love Glenn smiling with delight and Felder giving Randy a little two finger signal and Randy giving it back. ( wonder what that gesture was...it was kind of like a peace symbol shake.)

To me, it looks like Don is motioning to the lighting guy to put the spotlight on Randy, knowing that Randy doesn't like that. Randy lightheartedly chastises him by wagging his finger at him. Sweet modesty!