PDA

View Full Version : This or That :Non-Eagles music

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jonny Come Lately
12-09-2015, 12:57 PM
About a year or so ago, there was a thread on the Eagles section of the board called 'This or That' which enabled Borderers to ask two-choice questions about just about anything Eagles-related. I thought it was good fun and I thought it would be interesting to have a go at a general music/non-Eagles version - we have fans of quite a lot of artists on here so I think we could go quite a long way with this game. Also, these sort of discussions are less likely to merit a full forum topic than Eagles-based discussions.

For anyone new here's the original thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5313

(I have to apologise to Soda as some of my explanation is basically ripped off from her explanation of the original version. Please take it as a compliment for expressing how to play this game so well first time!)

As with the original version of the game, the first player gives two choices - 'this' and 'that'. The next player answers with their preferred choice, and gives their own two choices for the next round, and so on and so forth.

You can discuss pretty much anything general music-related. The only thing I would say is that if you wish to do Eagles-related questions, I would strongly suggest going back to the original 'This or That' thread rather than putting them in this thread:

Feel free to discuss your choices by all means, although don't feel you have to if you don't wish to.

Of course, don't forget to give your own 'this' or 'that' choice after answering the previous poster.

Example:

PERSON 1:

Preferred line up: Crosby, Stills and Nash or Crosby, Stills and Nash & Young?

PERSON 2:

Crosby, Stills and Nash & Young - I enjoy Neil Young as a solo artist more than I enjoy CSN, so I definitely prefer them with him in the group.

-----------

Wild West themed songs: Once Upon A Time In The West by Dire Straits or Wanted Dead Or Alive by Bon Jovi?

PERSON 3

Once Upon A Time In The West - it's one of my favourite Dire Straits songs, whereas I'm not a huge Bon Jovi fan.

-----------------

Pink Floyd albums - The Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here?

...and so on!

Have fun, it's not meant to be too serious, I'll kick things off with my first 'this' or 'that' question.

Jonny Come Lately
12-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Okay, hopefully this one should be a decent choice to start with:

Fleetwood Mac songs - Go Your Own Way or Silver Springs?

AlreadyGone95
12-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Ouch that's a toughie... uh Go Your Own Way, but I love Silver Springs alot.

-------------------------------

Bad Company albums: Bad Company or Straight Shooter?

Jonny Come Lately
12-09-2015, 07:16 PM
I have to go for Bad Company, as I've never actually listened to Straight Shooter. I do like their self-titled album though so I'm happy to vote for it!

-------------------------------------

Debut albums: Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd or Led Zeppelin I?

(By the way, if the game gets 'stuck' after 3-4 days or so, i.e. if no one replies, feel free to 'restart' with a new question. Forgot to mention that in my intro post so might as well mention this now)

AlreadyGone95
12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Prunounced Leh-Nerd Skin-nerd. I like Zeppelin, but prefer II or IV, and I love Skynyrd.

----------------

Van Halen: David Lee Roth ot Sammy Hagar?

Freypower
12-09-2015, 08:12 PM
I think this is a great idea for a thread but those who participate will have to bear in mind that not everybody will necessarily be familiar with some artists or have a preference either way.

I can answer AG's on my husband's behalf... Diamond Dave!

------------------------------

I will start with something predictable from my viewpoint.

Dire Straits - Making Movies or Brothers In Arms?

AlreadyGone95
12-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Brothers in Arms

-----------------
AC/DC: Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

Ive always been a dreamer
12-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Good idea to start this thread, JCL.

AC/DC - Bon Scott

==================================

Favorite Beatle - John, Paul, George, or Ringo?

AlreadyGone95
12-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Paul, mainly because I like Wings.

-----------------

Def Leppard: Pyromania or Hysteria

WalshFan88
12-13-2015, 01:45 AM
Hysteria, because it was like they made a greatest hits album out of new material.....A lot of people prefer the more raw sounding DL, but I like a bit of pop in my rock n' roll. 75+ percent of my favorite DL songs are on Hysteria.

---

Sweet Emotion or Walk This Way (Aerosmith)?

12-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Walk This Way

=========================

Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd

Jonny Come Lately
12-14-2015, 01:38 PM
Lynyrd Skynyrd! I do quite like the Allman Brothers, but I definitely prefer Skynyrd - they have more great songs and their first album is one of the outstanding debut releases IMO.

Bob Dylan covers: Mr. Tambourine Man by The Byrds or Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Guns n' Roses?

AlreadyGone95
12-14-2015, 02:01 PM
The Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man. I prefer Eric Clapton's version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

-------------

Bad Company or Free?

LuvTim
12-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Bad Company

----------------------
Pink Floyd-
Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall?

12-14-2015, 02:35 PM
The Wall

=============

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody or We are the Champions?

Glennsallnighter
12-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody

Spandau Ballet - True, Gold or Through the Barricades

DJ
12-15-2015, 11:14 PM
Montrose- Montrose. The song Rocky Candy is priceless

Nazarath-Hair of the Dog.

Slaughter- Stick It To Ya

NOLA
12-16-2015, 10:05 AM
"Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth. First time I ever heard a cuss word in a song lyric.

Beatles - Rubber Soul or Revolver

12-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Oh wow Nola - what a tough choice. For me, it would be almost a draw between Rubber Soul and Revolver because they are probably my two favorite Beatles albums. I guess I'll give a slight edge to Rubber Soul since it came first. I remember how much I disliked the album when I first heard it because it was so different from what the band had done in the past. But after a few listens, it began growing on me and made such a huge impact on how I viewed music. I wore it out quickly and had to buy another one. Revolver just reinforced my new-found sophisticated musical taste. :rockon:

==============================================

Christmas songs: Blue Christmas or I'll Be Home for Christmas

AlreadyGone95
12-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Blue Christmas because of the claymation show The Year Without a Santa Claus.

-------------

Iron Maiden or Judas Priest

Freypower
12-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Hardly any of these questions have been suitable for me & when they have been I've missed them. I don't listen to heavy metal but my husband does so just for him I will say Iron Maiden (at least I have heard a few of their songs, unlike Judas Priest).

Predictable as this may be:

Genesis: Peter Gabriel era or Phil Collins era?

Jonny Come Lately
12-16-2015, 06:22 PM
I have to say for me it's the Peter Gabriel era - my favourite Genesis album is Selling England By The Pound. I guess I just dig 70s prog rock more than their 1980s music, although I'm not a Collins basher.

----------------------------------

Led Zeppelin albums: Presence or In Through The Out Door

(I prefer Presence myself - it has some very strong songs like Achilles' Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine. ITTOD is still pretty good, but somehow just doesn't sound right as a Led Zeppelin record to me)

Freypower
12-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Presence wasn't well received at the time. The tracks I tend to like are the lesser known ones like Tea For One. I prefer In Through The Out Door if only because it contains the magnificent Fool In The Rain (which is lyrically a close cousin to Genesis' Misunderstanding) and All My Love. I also love I'm Gonna Crawl.

Elton John albums: Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player or Goodbye Yellow Brick Road?

LuvTim
12-16-2015, 11:59 PM
For me it's definitely Goodbye Yellow brick Road because I feel so sentimental about the time spent with my then-best-friend, listening to the album, over and over, learning the lyrics, just hanging out, just being ourselves and having so much fun. That album is a special symbol of my youth. :smile:

So now: Fleetwood Mac Songs-Dreams or Don't Stop?

AlreadyGone95
12-17-2015, 01:29 AM
Don't Stop. It's one of the songs that helped me get through my miserable teen years.

------------

British Invasion: The Animals or The Hollies?

12-17-2015, 03:24 PM
:hmm: Tough one because neither of these bands were among my favorites. But since I do love the risqué House of the Rising Sun, I'll go with The Animals.

=====================================

80's Hair Bands: Def Leppard or Duran Duran?

Brooke
12-17-2015, 05:32 PM
Def Leppard (And back then I wouldn't let my kids listen to them! Now I love them! Is that hypocrisy? :lol:)

Bon Jovi with Richie or without?

NOLA
12-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Wow, Brooke! I can only say is Bon Jovi really Bon Jovi without Richie Sambora? My answer would be "with," because he was such an integral part of the band for so long.

'60s icons: Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin?

AlreadyGone95
12-18-2015, 12:24 AM
Jimi Hendrix. I like a couple of Janis Joplin songs, but I like Hendrix alot more.

-----------

Better musician: Stephen Stills or Neil Young? (I prefer Stephen)

Jonny Come Lately
12-18-2015, 07:24 AM
It has to be Neil Young for me.

-------------------------

Guitarists: David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) or Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)

(These are my two favourite guitar players)

Freypower
12-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Well, hello, JCL. I just happened to be next in line. Do I really need to give an answer? Let me be clear - I LOVE David Gilmour but the one & only Mark Knopfler is my favourite guitarist, bar none.

Queen anthems: We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions?

AlreadyGone95
12-19-2015, 02:57 AM
I consider those 2 songs to be one song. I've never heard one being played without the other. In fact, until a few years ago, I thought that they were a single song. I love both, but I guess that We Will Rock You wins because I love doing air drums and air guitar to it.

---------------

Better decade of music: 1970s or 1980s?

Jonny Come Lately
12-19-2015, 05:10 AM
1970s every time as far as I'm concerned! A lot of my favourite albums - including most of my probable top 10 - are from this decade, but I have nowhere near as many from the 1980s. A lot of my favourite bands/artists peaked in the 1970s and were not active in the 1980s (Eagles, Led Zep, Skynyrd) or produced music that IMO was not as good as their 70s works (Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young). I also think the music of the 1970s generally seems to stand the test of time better than that of the 1980s, I find the production style of quite a bit of music from that era to be 'of its time'. But that's just me.

---------------------------------

Guitar riffs: Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin or Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple

NOLA
12-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Definitely "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. IMO, the three best rock guitarists of all time are Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page.

Festivals: Monterey Pop in '67 or Woodstock in '69?

12-19-2015, 07:04 PM
I also think the music of the 1970s generally seems to stand the test of time better than that of the 1980s, I find the production style of quite a bit of music from that era to be 'of its time'. But that's just me.

ITA with you about this, JCL.

And on Nola's question, I'll go with Woodstock although I'm not sure I would have wanted to be a either. :wink:

=============================

Okay - I'll go way back just for grins ...

Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby?

DJ
12-19-2015, 09:20 PM
1970s every time as far as I'm concerned! A lot of my favourite albums - including most of my probable top 10 - are from this decade, but I have nowhere near as many from the 1980s. A lot of my favourite bands/artists peaked in the 1970s and were not active in the 1980s (Eagles, Led Zep, Skynyrd) or produced music that IMO was not as good as their 70s works (Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young). I also think the music of the 1970s generally seems to stand the test of time better than that of the 1980s, I find the production style of quite a bit of music from that era to be 'of its time'. But that's just me.

Guitar riffs: Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin or Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple

I'll agree with the above two riffs very memorable ones. Not only was Smoke on the Water good so was Space Truckin on the same album. I agree with you on the 70's music some of the very best came out of that decade. :rockon:

AlreadyGone95
12-20-2015, 12:25 PM
I guess Bing Crosby because of his Christmas songs

-----------

Buffalo Springfield or The Byrds?

12-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Another tough one - both bands were fairly short-lived, but they were both influential. I guess I'll go with Buffalo Springfield on the strength of the classic For What It's Worth ... that's one of my favorite '60's songs.

=================================

Religious Christmas favorites - O Holy Night or Ave Maria?

Jonny Come Lately
12-20-2015, 04:36 PM
O Holy Night - that is one of my favourite carols.

Eric Clapton's bands: Cream or Derek & The Dominos

Freypower
12-20-2015, 04:36 PM
O Holy Night

Beatles solo: John or Paul?

AlreadyGone95
12-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Guess I'll do both.

JCL: Cream. They're one of the best bands ever to exist, imo.

FP: not a big fan of either, but I prefer Paul's.

-------------

Better trio: Rush or ZZ Top?

Jonny Come Lately
12-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Rush - Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are an immensely talented group of musicians. I do like ZZ Top as well, but Rush's trio is fantastic!

-----------------------------

Glam rock Christmas songs: Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade or I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday by Wizzard

NOLA
12-21-2015, 01:46 PM
"Merry Xmas Everybody" by Slade. Haven't heard the other one.

Rock titans: Robert Plant or Roger Daltrey?

Freypower
12-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Sorry JCL for missing your choice (for the record I would have answered Cream).

In answer to NOLA it can only be the great Robert Plant. I am not a huge fan of Daltrey or the Who.

----------------------------------------

Neil Young albums: After The Gold Rush or Harvest?

12-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Harvest (although it's been a very long time since I've heard either).

==============================================

Please Come Home for Christmas or I'll Be Home for Christmas?

Jonny Come Lately
12-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Sorry JCL for missing your choice (for the record I would have answered Cream).

No problem, I think we answered at the exact same minute! Everything has worked out fine.

In response to dreamer's question: Please Come Home For Christmas, although I enjoy both. I like the Eagles version of PCHFC best; I have to admit I do enjoy Bob Dylan's take on the latter.

--------------------------------------

Fleetwood Mac albums: Fleetwood Mac self-titled (1975) or Tusk?

WalshFan88
12-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Self titled. I didn't like Tusk. The first one and Rumours are my faves.

-----

Illinois-based bands: REO or Cheap Trick?

AlreadyGone95
12-22-2015, 01:19 PM
REO. Not a Cheap Trick fan

-------------

Stevie Nicks or Christine Mcvie?

Freypower
12-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Stevie Nicks. There are a couple of McVie tracks I don't like (Sugar Daddy & Oh Daddy - even the titles are similar)!

---------------------------

Elvis: pre Army or Vegas years?

AlreadyGone95
12-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Not a big Elvis fan, but the songs I do like are mostly from his later years, so Vegas years. (The only exception to this is Heartbreak Hotel)

--------------
Better Randy Bachman band: The Guess Who or Bachman Turner Overdrive?

NOLA
12-23-2015, 01:52 PM
The Guess Who. The original version of "American Woman" is a favorite, as well as "Hand Me Down World."

Ex-Beatle albums: Paul - Band on the Run or John - Imagine

Freypower
12-23-2015, 05:57 PM
I have to answer that because Band On The Run was my favourite album for years. It's still very close to my heart. While I like Imagine it's a bit hard to reconcile the title track with How Do You Sleep.

Singer-songwriters: James Taylor or Carole King?

Jonny Come Lately
12-23-2015, 06:17 PM
James Taylor - his songs mean more to me. I grew up listening to his classic songs like Fire and Rain and Something In The Way She Moves on his Greatest Hits album.

A Pink Floyd choice from me:

Songs from The Dark Side of the Moon: Time or Money?

AlreadyGone95
12-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Money. Money is my second favorite Pink Floyd song.

----------

Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin?

12-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Whew AG - no disrespect intended, but, for me, it's neither. However, since that's not an option in this game, I'll go with Led Zeppelin based solely on Stairway To Heaven.

===========================================

Men from Motown: The Four Tops or The Temptations?

Freypower
12-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Both acts were great but the Temptations moved on from just pop songs to psychedelic & protest songs & I prefer them.

--------------------------------

British Invasion acts: The Hollies or Herman's Hermits?

AlreadyGone95
12-26-2015, 01:30 PM
The Hollies. Long Cool Woman is one of the best songs of the 70s, imo. Plus, I love Graham Nash.

-------

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band albums: Night Moves or Stranger in Town?

NOLA
12-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Tough choice - I'll go with Night Moves. "Come to Poppa" and the title track are favorites.

Monkees' vocalists - Davy Jones or Micky Dolenz?

AlreadyGone95
12-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Davy Jones because of Daydream Believer. As a side note, i watched an episode of The Monkees for the first time on Christmas Day. It was a Christmas themed episode with Butch Patrick from The Munsters in it. I really liked it!

-------------

The Rolling Stones : Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed?

Freypower
12-27-2015, 06:41 PM
The magnificent, unsurpassed Sticky Fingers which is my 5th favourite album of all time.

Neil Young: Folky (Heart of Gold) or grunge (Rockin' In The Free World)?

12-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Heart of Gold

===================================

Seattle Grunge Band: Pearl Jam or Nirvana?

AlreadyGone95
12-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Pearl Jam. I like both bands, but I've gotten sort of burned out on Nirvana.

----------

Rock anthems: Bohemian Rhapsody or Stairway to Heaven?

Freypower
12-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Almost impossible choice given that both songs are in my Top 10. But it has to be Stairway, which is my 3rd favourite song (BR is about 6th).

Country Rock: Byrds or Flying Burrito Brothers?

NOLA
12-29-2015, 12:19 PM
The Byrds - one of the founding groups of the burgeoning 'California sound' in the '60s.

----------------------------

'70s female singer/songwriters: Carly Simon or Carole King?

AlreadyGone95
12-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Carole King. So Far Away holds a very special place in my heart because it helped me deal with my dad's death. (One of those "tyis songs feels like it was written for me" things)

--------------

Cream: Disraeli Gears or Wheels of Fire?

12-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Well AG - since no one has an answer for this (and neither do I because I'm not familiar with either song), I guess I move on ...

======================================

Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey?

Brooke
12-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Whitney Houston for me!

----------------------

ETA: Adele or Taylor Swift

NOLA
12-31-2015, 10:38 AM
Adele. Love her deep rich voice.

Throwback Thursday to big-band swing: Benny Goodman or Glenn Miller?

12-31-2015, 01:32 PM
Glenn Miller - I like the sound of his name :twisted: plus I remember my great aunt playing his music all the time.

=================================

CCR: Bad Moon Rising or Fortunate Son?

AlreadyGone95
12-31-2015, 02:31 PM
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no

Fortunate Son!

---------

Punk bands: The Ramones or The Clash?

Freypower
12-31-2015, 07:39 PM
AG, just quickly about Cream, while I have heard & love some of their songs I have never heard an entire album so I couldn't choose.

To answer your last one: The Clash. I don't get the Ramones at all.

-----------------------------------

I am so tempted to do a classical music comparison. Here goes: Beethoven or Mozart?

NOLA
01-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Mozart, specifically "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik." I have a 4-CD boxed set of his greatest hits, if you want to call them that.

----------------------

'90s female singer-songwriters: Melissa Etheridge or Sheryl Crow?

LuvTim
01-01-2016, 04:04 PM
I really enjoy ME but I'm going to go with Sheryl Crow on this one because I have such fun memories of riding around with the top down on the car singing along with her on "All I Want To Do Is Have Some Fun!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
REM songs: "Losing My Religion" or "Shiny Happy People?"

Jonny Come Lately
01-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Losing My Religion every time for me. I was listening to it a couple of days ago and I think it's a genuinely classic song that has stood the test of time, whereas I personally can't stand Shiny Happy People.

(Re: Cream, I could have answered that one but unfortunately I missed it. I'd have gone for Disraeli Gears, although that's the only album I've heard by them)

-------------------------------------------

Jimi Hendrix songs: Hey Joe or All Along The Watchtower?

AlreadyGone95
01-01-2016, 06:20 PM
That's a tough one. I like both songs almost equally, but I like Hey Joe a bit more.

--------------

Genesis albums: Genesis or Invisible Touch?

Freypower
01-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Genesis. That's All. Home By The Sea. Mama. Etc, etc, etc. :heart:

Bob Dylan albums: Higway 61 Revisted or Blonde On Blonde?

LuvTim
01-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Seriously, FP? Good grief, almost impossible to choose between "Like A Rolling Stone" and "Just Like A Woman."

I'm a-gonna choose Highway 61 Revisited because it was first and for it's a-bomb cultural impact.

------------------------------------------
Phil Collins songs--"In The Air Tonight" or "Susudio?"

Freypower
01-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Yes, I know, the choice was between the entire albums though, and my own preference is for Highway 61.

Now as you have given me one that strikes me very close to the heart, the magnfiicent In The Air Tonight is without peer.

Beatles anthems: All You Need Is Love or Hey Jude?

AlreadyGone95
01-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Hey Jude.

------------

Aerosmith albums: Rocks or Toys in the Attic?

01-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Been such a long time since I listened to either of these, but if my memory serves me correctly, I liked Toys in the Attic best. Walk This Way is one of my favorites.

========================================

Cheap Trick: I Want You to Want Me or The Flame

Freypower
01-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Not a fan of the band but I Want You To Want Me, easily.

New York singer songwriters: Neil Diamond or Paul Simon?

Jonny Come Lately
01-03-2016, 07:03 PM
I'll go for Paul Simon.

'Closing time' rock anthems: More Than A Feeling by Boston or Don't Stop Believin' by Journey?

(I personally prefer the former myself)

AlreadyGone95
01-03-2016, 08:30 PM
More Than A Feeling. I'm not a big fan of either song, but I've heard Don't Stop Believin' so much that I'm sick of it.

--------------

Steppenwolf songs: Born to be Wild or Magic Carpet Ride?

01-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Hmm - That's a tough one, but I'm going with Magic Carpet Ride.

80's Girl Bands: The Go Go's or The Bangles?

NOLA
01-03-2016, 10:30 PM
I'll choose the Bangles. Their music seemed to be a bit more edgy than the Go-Go's.

------------------------

Country outlaws: Waylon Jennings or Willie Nelson?

LuvTim
01-04-2016, 01:03 AM
I'm going with Willie Nelson :heart:. Just gotta love him. Stardust, Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground, and, omg, Whiskey River. Love Willie.

Elton John albums: Madman Across the Water or Captain Fantastic and the Browndirt Cowboy?

AlreadyGone95
01-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Madman Across the Water. Levon is my favorite Elton John song and it's in my top 10 songs of all time.

---------

Love making songs: Bad Company's Feel Like Makin' Love or Foghat's I Just Want To Make Love To You?

LuvTim
01-05-2016, 02:19 PM
I asked my hubby about his opinion on this choice, and he says that anything with Paul Rodgers would have to better! LOL...I guess you can tell that we're Bad Company fans. So there it is--Feel Like Makin' Love.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grammy Nominations for Album of the Year:
Alabama Shakes "Sound and Color" or Chris Stapleton "Traveller?"

Freypower
01-06-2016, 06:08 PM
I have heard good reports of Alabama Shakes so I will say them. I've never heard of Chris Stapleton.

Iconic black vocalists: Otis Redding or Sam Cooke?

AlreadyGone95
01-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Gotta go with the local favorite, Otis Redding. Otis spent his first few years in Dawson, Georgia, a small city 20 miles north of me.

----------

Black Sabbath: Ozzy or Dio?

NOLA
01-06-2016, 11:36 PM
Definitely Ozzy. IMO, BS became a different band after he left.

--------------------------

'60s girl group leaders: Ronnie Spector or Diana Ross?

01-07-2016, 01:54 PM
It's close, but I'll go with Diana.

====================================

Disco divas: Donna Summer or Gloria Gaynor?

Freypower
01-07-2016, 05:52 PM
I think Donna Summer had a longer career & did some non-disco music, so she's my choice.

Rolling Stones albums: Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers?

AlreadyGone95
01-07-2016, 07:56 PM
I love both albums, but Sticky Fingers edges out Let It Bleed. Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can't You Hear Me Knocking etc

---------

Led Zeppelin: II or IV?

LuvTim
01-07-2016, 11:33 PM
IV, for Stairway To Heaven, if for no other reason. I love Going to California and When the Levee Breaks, but STH is enough for the win, imho.

Credence Clearwater Revival albums: Green River or Mardi Gras?

AlreadyGone95
01-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Green River
----------

Van Halen albums: Van Halen or 1984?

01-08-2016, 01:28 PM
I'll go with 1984.

===============================

80's pop queens: Madonna or Whitney?

Freypower
01-08-2016, 05:28 PM
No disrespect to the late Ms Houston but I didn't like her music. Madonna, every time, if only for Papa Don't Preach & Live To Tell.

Guitarists: Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck?

NOLA
01-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Eric Clapton. Saw him live at Jazz Fest in 2014. Paul Carrack was his keyboard player. Great show!

-----------------------

'90s hair bands: Poison or Skid Row?

AlreadyGone95
01-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Skid Row. They're my favorite hair metal band. I love Sebastian Bach's voice. I don't like Poison much, although I do need to give Open Up and Say Ahh a spin, since I got it as a Christmas gift.

---------

Rush albums: Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures?

Jonny Come Lately
01-09-2016, 04:19 AM
Moving Pictures - Great album and I think side one of the album is one of the finest album sides ever (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight). Waves is very good as well, although I've only listened to it properly once so far. Having said that, The Spirit Of Radio is the song that got me into them.

'Something' songs: Something In The Way She Moves by James Taylor or Something by The Beatles?

01-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Definitely Something by The Beatles for me.

Sax solo: Baker Street or Careless Whispers?

AlreadyGone95
01-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Baker Street. The solo makes that song.

-----------
Beatles song with McCartney lead vocals: Hey Jude or Let It Be?

Freypower
01-09-2016, 04:57 PM
The unsurpassable Hey Jude

In The Air Tonight or Sledgehammer?

NOLA
01-09-2016, 07:24 PM
In the Air Tonight. Haunting melody with a killer drum solo.

-----------------------

'90s grunge frontmen: Eddie Vedder or Chris Cornell?

AlreadyGone95
01-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Eddie Vedder, although Chris Cornell has some great pipes.

--------

Hank Williams Sr or Jr?

01-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Sr. - He was a true pioneer.

=======================

Nat King Cole or Natalie Cole?

Freypower
01-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Nat King Cole

San Francisco bands: Jefferson Airplane/Starship or the Grateful Dead?

DJ
01-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Sr. - He was a true pioneer.

=======================

Nat King Cole or Natalie Cole?

I agree Dreamer on Hank Sr. Loved the twang.
Nat King Cole for me. I grew up hearing him played
in my house a lot.

And on the last I think Jefferson Airplane dig the hippie music

Seattle Bands Nirvana or Alice in Chains

NOLA
01-11-2016, 10:47 AM
I'll go with Nirvana, particularly David Grohl. They pioneered the grunge scene in Seattle.

---------------

In memoriam: David Bowie's persona as Ziggy Stardust or as the Thin White Duke?

AlreadyGone95
01-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust

-----------

AC/DC hell songs: Highway to Hell or Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be?

Freypower
01-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Highway To Hell as I've never heard the other song.

More in memoriam:

Rebel Rebel or The Jean Genie?

L101
01-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Jean Jeanie

More David Bowie ::

Absolute Beginners or Heroes ?

Freypower
01-11-2016, 06:25 PM
I have to answer this - the magnficent Heroes will be his epitaph.

One more:

Space Oddity or Ashes To Ashes?

AlreadyGone95
01-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Space Oddity. Unfortunately, ground control can no longer hear major Tom.

-----------

Suffrage City or Fame? (My 2 favorite Bowie songs)

Freypower
01-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Both great songs. However Fame just gets it (I have a signature with a line from this song which I will use soon).

Alice Cooper albums: Welcome To My Nightmare or Goes To Hell?

AlreadyGone95
01-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Welcome to my Nightmare. Such a great album that I've come to love thanks to my dad's vinyl copy.

--------------
Pink Floyd albums: Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here? (I like the latter more)

01-13-2016, 02:08 PM
It's been a really long time since I listened to a Pink Floyd album in it's entirety so I was waiting for someone else to answer. However, if my memory serves me correctly, I'll go with Dark Side of the Moon.

Doobie Brothers: China Grove or Black Water?

Freypower
01-13-2016, 05:42 PM
China Grove, although I've never understood what the song is about. In fact I have just looked it up & there is in fact a town of this name near San Antonio where the sheriff had a samurai sword.

Candle In The Wind (about Marilyn Monroe) or the 1997 rewritten version of the song (about Princess Diana)?

AlreadyGone95
01-14-2016, 12:20 PM
The original, which I love. I don't think that I've heard the Princess Diana version.

-------------

Songs about Georgia: Georgia on My Mind- Ray Charles (the state song), The Devil Went Down to Georgia- Charlie Daniels Band, or Midnight Train to Georgia- Gladys Knight and the Pips?

01-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Tough one, but I'm going with Midnight Train to Georgia.

==========================================

Bee Gees ballads: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart or How Deep Is Your Love?

Witchy Woman
01-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Gotta go with How Deep Is Your Love. Fantastic song.

80's hair bands - Poison or Cinderella ?

Brooke
01-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Love Poison! :heart:

Country greats: Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard?

NOLA
01-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Merle Haggard. Great that he's still hanging around and singing, especially with Don!

Anarchy in the UK: Sex Pistols or The Clash?

01-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Quite honestly, I'm not a fan of either band, but I'll go with The Sex Pistols.

Southern Rock Bands: CCR or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Freypower
01-15-2016, 05:43 PM
CCR - it's weird how some of their songs evoked the south when they were from Northern California.

Billy Joel ballads: She's Always A Woman or Just The Way You Are?

NOLA
01-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Just the Way You Are. The first Billy Joel record (45rpm) that I ever purchased.

Steely Dan songs about women: Peg or Josie?

LuvTim
01-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Both of these songs are so wonderfully strange, but I'm going with Josie. :smile:
----------------------------------------------------

Three Dog Night:

Song of regret-Momma Told Me Not to Come or
Song of happiness-Joy To the World

AlreadyGone95
01-16-2016, 12:27 PM
I like both songs, but I've loved Joy to the World longer, so I have to go with it.

-------

Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac songs: Oh Well, Man of the World, or Albatross?

Freypower
01-16-2016, 05:03 PM
AG, don't you think we should keep it to two choices?

I saw them play Oh Well so it's that for me.

Elton John ballads: Rocket Man or Daniel?

AlreadyGone95
01-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Yes, I guess so, FP.

Rocket Man for me.

-----------

Better singer/pianist: Elton John or Billy Joel?

NOLA
01-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Elton John. I hope that he and Billy Joel will reunite in the future for another tour. Heard it's a concert not to be missed.

"Man" songs by Neil Young: Southern Man or Old Man?

01-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Old Man

=================================================

Street Songs: Rafferty's Baker Street or Seger's Main Street?

Freypower
01-17-2016, 05:22 PM
Wow, what a choice. However it's Baker Street for me.

Springsteen 'born' songs: (not albums) Born To Run or Born In The USA?

L101
01-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Has to be "Born to Run" - classic Springsteen!!

============================

Sticking with Springsteen:

Jersey Girl or Girls In Their Summer Clothes

AlreadyGone95
01-18-2016, 01:06 PM
Not a Springsteen fan by any means (I only like a few songs), but I'll go with Jersey Girl since I'm more familiar with it.

--------

Fire songs: Free's Fire and Water or James Taylor's Fire and Rain?

01-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Fire and Rain

================================================== ====

Keith Urban ballads: But For the Grace of God or Raining on Sunday?

Freypower
01-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Sorry Dreamer, I don't know any Keith Urban songs. How unpatriotic of me!

Early Elvis: Jailhouse Rock or Heartbreak Hotel?

AlreadyGone95
01-23-2016, 03:39 AM
Heartbreak Hotel

---------

Ritchie Blackmore bands: Deep Purple or Rainbow?

Jonny Come Lately
01-23-2016, 04:07 AM
It's got to be the great Deep Purple for me.

---------------------------------------

(I've been meaning to post this one for a few days, I feel it is quite appropriate at this sad time, but I really don't know Keith Urban's music)

Songs about coming to terms with death: Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan or Tears In Heaven by Eric Clapton?

AlreadyGone95
01-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Tears in Heaven (the version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door that I like best is Eric Clapton's)

------------

Bob Seger songs: Still the Same or Against the Wind?

Witchy Woman
01-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Still The Same. Awesome song.

James Taylor songs : Your Smiling Face or Up On The Roof ?

Freypower
01-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Your Smiling Face :weep: as Up On The Roof is a cover.

Fleetwood Mac iconic songs: Rhiannon or Dreams?

Jonny Come Lately
01-23-2016, 07:05 PM
Rhiannon - it's my favourite Stevie Nicks Fleetwood Mac song, and my third favourite by them overall.

I thought this one up a while back but haven't used it yet:

'Hurricane' songs: Hurricane by Bob Dylan or Like A Hurricane by Neil Young?

AlreadyGone95
01-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Like a Hurricane
----------

Led Zeppelin IV songs: Rock n Roll or Black Dog?

Freypower
01-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Black Dog because the lyrics are slightly more interesting & the groove is a bit more varied. I passionately love both songs.

Versions of Layla: Original or Unplugged?

Jonny Come Lately
01-24-2016, 06:08 PM
I personally prefer the original Layla, the acoustic version isn't bad but I think the iconic riff sounds better electric.

(FWIW, I would also have gone with Black Dog for AG95's Zeppelin question)

Beach Boys songs: Don't Worry Baby or Caroline, No?

sad-cafe
01-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Beach boys: Don't Worry Baby

Journey Lady or Styx Lady or Kenny Rogers Lady or Little River Band Lady

Freypower
01-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Can we please try & keep the choices to two as per the thread title 'This or That'.

I don't know any of those songs except for LRB's Lady so I choose that.

Neil Young epics: Like A Hurricane or Cortez The Killer?

Jonny Come Lately
01-25-2016, 04:52 PM
That's a tough one, I love both. But I think I'll go with Cortez, with its fantastic lyrics and guitar work.

Songs about cars: Highway Star by Deep Purple or Red Barchetta by Rush?

(It can be argued that Highway Star isn't really about a car, but I feel it's a more interesting and valid comparison with Red Barchetta than, say, Little Deuce Coupe by The Beach Boys)

Freypower
01-25-2016, 05:17 PM
Highway Star

-------------------------------------

Dire Straits London songs: Wild West End or Lions?

Jonny Come Lately
01-26-2016, 06:04 PM
I somehow knew I would end up answering this one! :-D I'll go for Wild West End, as I absolutely love the lyrics, although the music is beautiful too. It's also a song that takes me back to the time when I first heard it.

-----------------------

Epic album closers: Brain Damage/Eclipse (Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon) or Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who, Who's Next)?

AlreadyGone95
01-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Won't Get Fooled Again.

--------------

Def Leppard songs: Rock of Ages or Photograph?

Brooke
01-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Love them both but I'll go for Rock of Ages

Favorite Beatle singers: Paul McCartney or John Lennon?

AlreadyGone95
01-28-2016, 11:22 AM
McCartney.

--------

British blues rock bands:The Animals or The Yardbirds?

Freypower
01-28-2016, 06:14 PM
Wow. What a choice. The Animals are from Newcastle, my husband's home town. The Yardbirds included three of the greatest guitarists of all time. Overall I guess the Yardbirds.

ELO Classics: Evil Woman or Mr Blue Sky?

NOLA
01-29-2016, 12:54 AM
Evil Woman. For various reasons...hehehehe. :twisted:

-------------------

Australian pop: INXS or Men at Work?

Freypower
01-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Neither. Seriously.... I was a fan of neither band. However INXS did last a bit longer & if only for Original Sin they should be remembered.

Phil Collins ballads: A Groovy Kind Of Love or Against All Odds?

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Groovy Kind of Love

Spandau Ballet - True or Gold

zeldabjr
01-30-2016, 04:19 AM
True...love it...

Cars singers...Ric Ocasek or Benjamin Orr

AlreadyGone95
01-30-2016, 12:31 PM
I had to look them up to see which guy sang which songs because I only know the hits from the first album. Ric Ocasek, I guess, since he sang more 3 of the 4 songs that I know.

------------

Don't think that this one has been asked yet.

Fleetwood Mac female vocalists: Christine Mcvie or Stevie Nicks?

Jonny Come Lately
01-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Stevie Nicks, she's comfortably my favourite female singer.

Lord of the Rings/Tolkien-influenced Led Zeppelin songs: Ramble On or The Battle Of Evermore?

Freypower
01-30-2016, 05:13 PM
The Battle Of Evermore, which is a masterpiece, while Ramble On, while it's great, is a bit cringeworthy with the Mordor & Gollum references.

The Kinks: Lola or Apeman?!

AlreadyGone95
01-31-2016, 12:36 PM
La la la la Lola.

(For JLC's one, I must say that Ramble On is my favorite Zeppelin song.)

---------------

Gabriel era Genesis albums: Selling England by the Pound or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?

Freypower
02-01-2016, 04:49 PM
From what I can tell Gabriel fans seem to think Lamb is beyond criticism. From what I have heard of it so far, I like it. However, Selling England is a more collaborative album & even at this stage I would say I prefer it.

Bob Dylan: Blood On The Tracks or Desire?

Jonny Come Lately
02-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Blood On The Tracks is one of my absolute favourite albums of all time, so it has to be that. Tangled Up In Blue, Idiot Wind, Shelter From The Storm and so on... I cannot thank my Dad enough for introducing me to it as a 16 year old. Desire is a great album too though, I love Scarlet Rivera's electric violin.

Songs by The Rolling Stones with colours in their titles: Brown Sugar or Paint It Black?

AlreadyGone95
02-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Paint It Black. I've never been much of a fan of Brown Sugar.

--------

Blue Oyster Cult albums: Agents of Fortune or Fire Of Unknown Origin?

Freypower
02-04-2016, 05:57 PM
I have not heard either album in their entirely but Fortune contains (Don't Fear) The Reaper:weep: & that's enough.

Van Morrison albums: Astral Weeks or Moondance?

AlreadyGone95
02-06-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm not too familiar with Van Morrison, but I know Moondance better than Astral Weeks, so I'll go with it.

CSN/Y albums: Crosby Stills and Nash or Deja Vu?

Freypower
02-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Both are overrated in my view but Déja Vu at least includes Neil Young.

Aretha Franklin songs: Think or Respect?

AlreadyGone95
02-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Respect

-------------

Duos: Simon and Garfunkel or Hall and Oates?

Jonny Come Lately
02-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Simon & Garfunkel are the better duo for me, just think they're the more talented songwriters although in fairness I am more familiar with their work than I am with Hall & Oates.

(FP, I am glad that you answered the CSN question as I think I feel much the same way as you do about them. I admire their talent, but their music just doesn't seem to move me, and I cannot put my finger on why this is the case. I'd have also gone for Deja Vu for pretty much the same reason. Funny thing is that I love many of the Neil Young songs where Crosby, Stills and Nash appear)

Early Pink Floyd singles: Arnold Layne or See Emily Play?

AlreadyGone95
02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
See Emily Play. It's the song that defines early Floyd.

(I really don't have a preference for CSN vs. CSNY. I love most of the songs that they've made. I do prefer the self titled over Deja Vu, but I think the reason why is because I think that Stephen Stills', my favorite of the 4, talent shines more on it. He's nicknamed "Captain Manyhands" for a reason)

------------

EltonJohn albums: Madman Across the Water or Honky Château?

Freypower
02-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Honky Château is brilliant.

Mid period Beatles: Ticket To Ride or Drive My Car?

Freypower
02-14-2016, 06:52 PM
OK. I keep forgetting that I carry the torch for the Beatles here pretty much alone. :unimpressed: My preference is for Ticket To Ride.

Billy Joel anthems: Goodnight Saigon or Allentown?

AlreadyGone95
02-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Allentown

(I do like Ticket to Ride, but I haven't heard Drive My Car)

---------

Famous live albums: The Allman Brothers Band's Live At Fillmore East or Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive?

Freypower
02-19-2016, 06:01 PM
OK, I will answer. Allman Bros. You couldn't escape FCA in 1977. I didn't get it. I hated it.

Linda Ronstadt or Joni Mitchell?

Jonny Come Lately
02-20-2016, 06:52 AM
If based purely on the music, then Joni Mitchell as she's a great songwriter.

However, were it not for Linda we might not be here. If no Linda means no Eagles, she gets my vote!

Grunge bands: Nirvana or Pearl Jam?

AlreadyGone95
02-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Pearl Jam. Jeremy and Daughter were 2 songs that helped me get through the darkest times of my teen years.

----------

Better frontman/ singer: Roger Daltrey Or Robert Plant?

Jonny Come Lately
02-20-2016, 03:46 PM
It's got to be Robert Plant for me - I was listening to a whole lotta Led Zeppelin last night ;) and he's got one of my favourite voices of all time.

R.E.M. songs - Losing My Religion or Man On The Moon?

Freypower
02-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Love both but the magnificent Losing My Religion was a very important song for me personally.

Aerosmith: Janie's Got A Gun or Dude (Looks Like A Lady)?

AlreadyGone95
02-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Janie's Got a Gun. It's my favorite Aerosmith song, for personal reasons.

-----------

Styx albums: The Grand Illusion or Pieces of Eight?

Freypower
02-25-2016, 05:59 PM
Nobody answered this so my answer is neither. I wasn't a fan of Styx at all.

Neil Diamond classics: Crackin' Rosie or Sweet Caroline?

LuvTim
02-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Definitely Sweet Caroline for me. That Rosie could get ya in trouble. Lol...

Todd Rundgren: Hello, It's Me or Black Mariah?

AlreadyGone95
02-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Hello, It's Me

-------

The Monkees songs: I'm a Believer or Daydream Believer?

Freypower
02-27-2016, 07:30 PM
I'm A Believer because Neil Diamond wrote it, though I love Anne Murray's version of Daydream Believer.

Speaking of Canadians:

Gordon Lightfoot epics - Canadian Railroad Trilogy or The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald?

NOLA
02-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Love Lightfoot's musical tale of the infamous shipwreck. As a former sailor, the lyrics resonate with special meaning.

Beatles' movies: A Hard Day's Night or Help!

AlreadyGone95
02-28-2016, 12:55 PM
A Hard Day's Night.

--------

Fleetwood Mac 80s albums: Mirage or Tango in the Night?

WalshFan88
02-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Tango In The Night

--------

AC/DC: Bon Scott or Brian Johnson?

Freypower
02-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Ewww. As an Australian I'm supposed to say Scott (although he was born in Scotland). As the wife of a Geordie however I have to say Brian Johnson.

And speaking of Geordies....

Roxy Music: Virginia Plain or Do The Strand?

(I'm not actually sure if there is anyone on the Border besides me who even likes Roxy Music, but I'll try it).

Freypower
03-03-2016, 07:29 PM
That went down well. :unimpressed:

OK then. Poco: Rose of Cimarron or In the Heart of the Night?

AlreadyGone95
03-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Rose of Cimarron

(Sorry FP. I've heard of Roxy Music, but that's it)

60s psychedelic rock: The Doors or Jefferson Airplane?

The Disco Strangler
03-04-2016, 08:54 PM
The Doors

Since we're on teh subject of the Doors...

Roadhouse Blues or Love Me Two Times?

LuvTim
03-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Roadhouse Blues

The Beatles: Love Me Do or And I Love Her

SilverAcidRayne
03-04-2016, 11:52 PM
And I Love Her.

on that beatles train...

White Album or Abbey Road?

Freypower
03-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Almost impossible choice, however for me it's the White Album because of the diversity of the music. The often made claim that it sounds like a collection of solo songs I just don't agree with.

Fleetwood Mac or Rumours?

AlreadyGone95
03-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Rumours. It's my all time favorite album!

-------

Blues "kings": BB King or Albert King?

Jonny Come Lately
03-06-2016, 11:43 AM
BB King for me, although I definitely know his work better than that of Albert.

Deep Purple In Rock or Machine Head?

AlreadyGone95
03-06-2016, 12:16 PM
I love both albums alot, but I like In Rock a little bit more.

---------

Iron Maiden or Judas Priest?

Freypower
03-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Iron Maiden

AC/DC or INXS?

NOLA
03-08-2016, 09:02 AM
INXS, only because my baby sis was a diehard fan in the '80s. I think they were her first concert. RIP, Michael Hutchence.

----------------------

Phil Collins "in" songs: Inside Out or In the Air Tonight?

Brooke
03-08-2016, 11:18 AM
In the Air Tonight

Don Henley 'heart' songs

Heart of the Matter or Words Can Break Your Heart

AlreadyGone95
03-08-2016, 01:52 PM
The Heart of the Matter

---------------

"Devil" songs: Charlie Daniel's Devil Went Down to Georgia or The Rolling Stones' Sympathy For The Devil?

Freypower
03-08-2016, 04:27 PM
No contest on that one - the almighty, iconic Sympathy For The Devil.

'God' songs: God Only Knows (Beach Boys) or God's Song (Randy Newman)?

AlreadyGone95
03-10-2016, 11:50 AM
God Only Knows

------------

California songs: The Mamas' and the Papas' California Dreaming or Led Zeppelin's Going to California?

Freypower
03-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Going To California, which I had the pleasure of seeing Plant perform a couple of years ago.

New York songs: New York State Of Mind (Billy Joel) or New York, New York (Frank Sinatra)?

LuvTim
03-10-2016, 06:14 PM
New York State of Mind

-----------------------------------------

Elton John's "Don't Shoot Me (I'm Only The Piano Player)":

Daniel or Crocodile Rock?

AlreadyGone95
03-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Crocodile Rock

---------------

Bad Company love songs: Ready for Love or Feel Like Makin' Love?

Freypower
03-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Feel Like Makin' Love

ELP (RIP Keith Emerson): Lucky Man or Fanfare For The Common Man?

AlreadyGone95
03-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Lucky Man

--------

For that matter, ELP albums: Emerson Lake and Palmer or Brain Salad Surgery?

LuvTim
03-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Lucky Man

--------

For that matter, ELP albums: Emerson Lake and Palmer or Brain Salad Surgery?

I had both of these albums and it's hard to choose, but I'm going with BSS.
------------------------------------

How about this? ELP: Lucky Man or Still...You Turn Me On?

AlreadyGone95
03-16-2016, 12:15 PM
Well... Since no one else haa answered, Lucky Man

-----------

Paul McCartney and Wings songs: Live and Let Die or Band on the Run?

Freypower
03-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Close, but Band On The Run is one of my top 10 favourite songs.

Early Beach Boys surfing songs: Surfin' USA or Surfin'Safari?

Jonny Come Lately
03-17-2016, 05:08 AM
Surfin' U.S.A., it's good fun and the lyrics scan a lot better than many other 'list' songs. Surfin' Safari is one of their songs that I will listen to just fine but I've never really got excited about it.

Dire Straits songs: Money For Nothing or Brothers In Arms?

The Disco Strangler
03-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Money for Nothing

=======================

The Cars - Since You're Gone or Drive

Freypower
03-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Drive

Van Morrison with Them: Baby Please Don't Go or Gloria?

LuvTim
03-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Baby Please Don't Go
--------------------------------------

Tom Petty- Free Fallin' or Breakdown ?

Brooke
03-18-2016, 09:50 AM
Free Fallin' but I really like both!

-----------

Aerosmith: Dream On or Sweet Emotion?

AlreadyGone95
03-18-2016, 01:14 PM
I like both..... Drean On

---------

Bachman Turner Overdrive songs: Let It Ride or Takin' Care of Business?

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:49 PM
Takin' Care Of Business

Chicago songs (I am not a fan): If You Leave Me Now or Hard To Say I'm Sorry?

Witchy Woman
03-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Definitely If You Leave Me Now

Guitarists - Randy Rhoads or Eddie Van Halen ?

AlreadyGone95
03-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Eddie Van Halen

----------

Stevie Nicks Rumours songs: Dreams or Gold Dust Woman?

Jonny Come Lately
03-20-2016, 01:34 PM
I love both, but I think I'll go for Gold Dust Woman - great chorus and lyrics, plus I love Lindey's guitar and dobro.

------------------------------------------

Led Zeppelin albums: Led Zeppelin III or Houses of the Holy?

Freypower
03-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Houses Of The Holy

Rolling Stones: Start Me Up or It's Only Rock'n'Roll?

AlreadyGone95
03-21-2016, 12:08 PM
I love both songs a lot...... It's Only Rock n Roll.

-------

Foreigner songs: Hot Blooded or Cold as Ice?

Freypower
03-21-2016, 06:47 PM
I was never a fan, but Cold As Ice is edgier.

Blondie: Heart Of Glass or Rapture?

DJ
03-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Rapture- I love that song, brings back a lot of memories.

Boys of Summer Album
Cass County Album

:grooving:

LuvTim
03-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Boys Of Summer
-----------------------

Steely Dan Albums

Pretzel Logic or Aja

AlreadyGone95
03-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Not too familiar with either album, but I'll go with Pretzel Logic since Rikki Don't You Lose That Number is on it.

----------

Black Sabbath albums: Black Sabbath or Paranoid?

shunlvswx
03-22-2016, 12:06 PM
I don't really listen to Black Sabbath. I would have to pick Panaroid since Iron Man is on that album and that's the only song I know from those two albums.

-------
Kenny Loggins' movie soundtrack hits: Meet Me Halfway (from the Over The Top) or For The First Time(from One Fine Day)

Freypower
03-27-2016, 06:00 PM
I know neither song. If you had included Danger Zone I could have gone for that.

Genesis ballads: In Too Deep or Hold On My Heart?

AlreadyGone95
03-27-2016, 06:17 PM
In Too Deep (btw I love this week's signature, FP)

----------

Songs about others: Loggins and Messina's Danny's Song or Elton John's Your Song?

The Disco Strangler
03-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Your Song

===========

Elton Ballads - Blessed or Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Freypower
03-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me

The Band: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down or Up On Cripple Creek?

LuvTim
03-29-2016, 09:59 PM
Up On Cripple Creek

The Byrds: Turn, Turn, Turn or Mr. Tambourine Man

AlreadyGone95
03-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Turn, Turn, Turn

-------------

The Hollies: Bus Stop or The Air That I Breathe?

Jonny Come Lately
03-30-2016, 01:50 PM
The Air That I Breathe, it's definitely the one I've heard more often of the two.

Jackson Browne songs from the I'm Alive album: I'm Alive or Sky Blue and Black?

Brooke
03-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Sky Blue and Black, such a beautiful song!

Dan Fogelberg songs from The Innocent Age album:

Run For the Roses or Leader of the Band

AlreadyGone95
03-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Leader of the Band

------------------

Jefferson Airplane songs: White Rabbit or Volunteers?

LuvTim
03-31-2016, 03:43 PM
Oh... White Rabbit

-------------------------------------------

Neil Diamond: Solitary Man or Cherry, Cherry ?

DJ
03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
Cherry Cherry

Nickelback- Photograph or Rockstar

AlreadyGone95
04-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Rockstar

-----------

"Painful" love songs: Nazareth's Love Hurts or Def Leppard's Love Bites?

DJ
04-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Love Hurts-Still one of my all time favorites!

John Denvers- Rocky Mtn High or Thank God I'm A Country Boy

Freypower
04-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Rocky Mountain High is one of my favourite travel songs.

Glen Campbell: Galveston or Wichita Lineman?

LuvTim
04-01-2016, 11:47 PM
I'm going to say Wichita Lineman. :-)
-------------------------------------------------

Waylon Jennings - Good Hearted Woman or Sweet Dream Woman?

The Disco Strangler
04-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Good Hearted Woman

===========================

Country singers: Waylon Jennings or Willie Nelson?

LuvTim
04-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Willie Nelson :yay:

Willie Nelson: Whiskey River Or Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain ?

AlreadyGone95
04-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

-----------

(Probably no contest for this one)

Stevie Nicks duets: Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Tom Petty) or Leather and Lace (with Don Henley)

Freypower
04-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Well, I'm afraid my favourite of those two is Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. :stunned:

CCR 'southern songs'': Proud Mary or Born On The Bayou?

Glennsallnighter
04-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Proud Mary

Spandau Ballet - True or Gold