PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sodascouts
01-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Our beloved Glenn Frey has passed away.

Prayers for his family and all of us who love him so very much.

I know we're all devastated by this news. I still can't believe it.

This is the message from the Eagles website (http://www.eaglesband.com/):

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of husband, best friend, father, comrade, and Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016.

Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia.

The Frey family would like to thank everyone who joined Glenn to fight this fight and hoped and prayed for his recovery.

Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us, his family, the music community & millions of fans worldwide.

Cindy Frey | Taylor Frey | Deacon Frey | Otis Frey |
Don Henley | Joe Walsh | Timothy B. Schmit | Bernie Leadon | Irving Azoff

OutlawManNJ
01-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Devastatingly sad

Just yesterday I was in NYC and a friend said "We had two major celebrities just die, Bowie (and I forget the other one now) and they usually come in 3, who will be the third?"

Never thought it would be Glenn.

I guess this is the official end of the Eagles.

L101
01-18-2016, 07:11 PM
So sad. Still can't believe it......

Friday 6th June 2014 - my last Eagles concert.....always remembered, never forgotten!
R.I.P Glenn :sad:

SoaringRockyMountainWay
01-18-2016, 07:13 PM
I just saw it on Facebook and was shocked. I'm literally balling my eyes out right now. He was so talented and he was one of my heroes. :weep:

watchtower
01-18-2016, 07:13 PM
This is terrible, condolences to his family.

Henley Honey
01-18-2016, 07:14 PM
There are no words. I'm sure he put up a good fight. I hope his family finds some peace and solice in knowing how much he meant to so many people. His music will live on and on in all of us and so many millions of people around the world. Thank you, Glenn. It was a hell of a ride. . . . .

shunlvswx
01-18-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm in total shocked. I started to cry when I heard. I was praying it was not real, but it was.

We all loved Glenn. He was a great singer and a great leader. My thoughts and prayers goes out to his bandmates: Don, Timothy and Joe. And of course Cindy, Taylor, Deacon and Otis.

RIP :weep:

sodascouts
01-18-2016, 07:15 PM
I can't stop crying. I feel physically ill. I can barely type because my hands are shaking.

I know I'm just a fan and I can only imagine what his family is going through, but my heart is broken and it hurts. It hurts bad.

Freypower
01-18-2016, 07:15 PM
I am really unable to post anything much as I am still in a state of absolute shock.

However, a statement has been made by Don Henley:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/don-henley-on-glenn-frey-he-changed-my-life-forever-20160118

MortSahlFan
01-18-2016, 07:16 PM
This is so sad.

I just heard "New Kid In Town" this morning.

Sebastian
01-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Devastated. First Dave then Alan now Glenn. I wish I could wake up from this nightmare.

Woodstock
01-18-2016, 07:20 PM
My heart is breaking.....

Wildthyme
01-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Thank you Glenn for the all you gave the world. Rest peacefully knowing you were loved by so many and that your music and memories will live on.

WalshFan88
01-18-2016, 07:23 PM
When I saw this on Facebook I couldn't believe it, but the news sites kept popping up and when I saw it on the official page I was gutted.

Without the Eagles, I wouldn't be where I am now and I started playing guitar because of the band.

I feel very blessed to have seen the band twice and I will remember that for the rest of my life.

Thank you for your music and inspiration. RIP Glenn. Take It Easy.

thelastresort
There are no words I can type to sum up how I feel. All I will say is Glenn, thank you for your work, from the joy of Take It Easy to the comfort of You Are Not Alone, your words and work have captured practically every situation and emotion I have ever encountered. Thoughts to his family, band members past and present and the rest whom he held close.

RIP Glenn.

Elizasong
Rest in Peace Glenn Frey. I hope you enjoy a Peaceful Easy Feeling with your loved ones in Heaven. There is a hole in the world tonight.

Keith
My deepest condolences to all who were touched by this great man.

NYC Fan
01-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Devastating news. I am just so sad right now, and my heart and prayers go out to Glenn's family.

Hugs to everyone here on the Border. I know we are all feeling this pain :cry:

DJ
01-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Such very sad news, I can't believe he's gone, he was such a fighter. RIP Glenn Lewis Frey. Condolences to his family and the band members. You will live forever in the music your talent and driving spirit produced. :weep:

LuvTim
01-18-2016, 07:30 PM
I can't stand it. Devastating.

Love and prayers for comfort to all Borderers, bandmates, friends and especially family.

Midnight Visitor
01-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Thank God.....

That Glenn put the band back together.
For all those wonderful live shows.
They did the documentary when they did.
For all those songs that will live forever.
For Glenn.

MacRL
01-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Very sad news, totally unexpected. My wife and I agreed that seeing them in their recent concerts means even more to us. Rest in Peace and thanks for all the great music.

cheryl
I heard this about 2 hours ago; hoped it wasn't so. Am so glad I decided to see the concert in Dayton Ohio last July. Crying as I write. So sad.

Windeagle
My life has been so much richer for the Eagles having been in it. I only saw them live once, but it was the best. The HOTE was the best concert I've ever seen and was worth the 30-year wait. Thank you, Glenn, for your courage, determination and amazing talent. My thoughts are with the entire Frey and Eagles families.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Well,shock does not begin to describe how this hit me .
I can't stop shaking and crying .
Like hh said he is at peace and not suffering.
But it hurts deeply.

I am greatful he touchrd so many people with his music
Condolences to his family and Don,TBS and Joe and the rest of the band.
Omg

TimothyBFan
01-18-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm in disbelief and shock as is everyone here. Words escape me. I do want to say how much I'm thinking not only of Glenn's family and his fellow Eagles but so many of you here- first ones who came to mind when I got the unbelieavable news was Soda of course, but Dreamer, FP, VA, GA, Brooke, etc.... My heart goes out to all of you. If I'm this devastated, I can only imagine how hard it's hitting all of you.

cynd1231
01-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Shocked and deeply saddened don't begin to express my emotions right now. Prayers to his family, his bandmates and all who have loved this wonderful man. He will be missed beyond words........

EagleLady
01-18-2016, 07:38 PM
I kept hoping this wasn't true, unfortunately it is :( RIP Glenn.

Buttercup
01-18-2016, 07:39 PM
RIP Glenn. Thanks for all the great music.

Brooke
01-18-2016, 07:43 PM
OMG, I saw it on Fb and thought it was another hoax and as I was trying to find out more, my daughter texted an article to me. I can't believe it. I'm so very sad.

Thank you Glenn, for all your wonderful music for all these years. RIP and take it easy. You will never be forgotten. :weep:

Prettymaid
01-18-2016, 07:48 PM
This is where I knew I needed to be when I heard the news just an hour ago. My thoughts are racing. I remember joining The Border back in 2008 because I was going to be seeing the Eagles for the first time in Chicago. Little did I know at the time what a hold this site would have on me and all the friends I would make here. I treasure the people I've met, and I know we are all hurting right now.

My thoughts are with Glenn's family as they come to grips with their loss. The world has lost a great musician and a great band, because it goes without saying that without Glenn Frey there is no more Eagles.

DivineDon
01-18-2016, 07:50 PM
I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach - soooo sad. R.I.P
Glenn, thanks for the memories and music
Beautiful statement from Don - he and the others must be devastated

NightMistBlue
01-18-2016, 07:55 PM
It doesn't seem possible that someone so vital and full of life could be gone. I'm so sorry for his family and everyone who loves him (and there are many). Thank you for sharing your gift of music, Glenn.

Glennhoney
01-18-2016, 07:57 PM
I CAN'T STOP CRYING...DEVASTATED..but deep down, I knew there was something horribly wrong...I just knew it...so so so sorry for your loss, Cindy, Taylor, Deacon & Otis...xoxoxoxoxo

AftertheThrill
01-18-2016, 07:58 PM
RIP Glenn. I don't know what else to say, I feel like I could throw up.

scottside
01-18-2016, 08:01 PM
I am beyond devastated. There are simply no words. RIP, Glenn and thank you for the decades of great music.

sodascouts
01-18-2016, 08:02 PM
He changed my life in so many ways. Every freaking thing you see here is thanks to him - I never would have made any of it if it weren't for Glenn. Hell, we wouldn't have the EAGLES without Glenn. We'll never have them again.

It's over. It's all over.

I hope he's in Heaven now, and I'll see him again one day, but right now all I feel is anguish.

Freypower
01-18-2016, 08:06 PM
He changed my life in so many ways. Every freaking thing you see here is thanks to him - I never would have made any of it if it weren't for Glenn. Hell, we wouldn't have the EAGLES without Glenn. We'll never have them again.

I hope he's in Heaven now, and I'll see him again one day.

I hope so too, Nancy.

I shared a couple of photos on Facebook but here, I don't know what I should say or where I should start.

sodascouts
01-18-2016, 08:11 PM
Here's Don Henley's full statement from his official site: (http://donhenley.com/news/266823)

“He was like a brother to me; we were family, and like most families, there was some dysfunction. But, the bond we forged 45 years ago was never broken, even during the 14 years that the Eagles were dissolved.
We were two young men who made the pilgrimage to Los Angeles with the same dream: to make our mark in the music industry — and with perseverance, a deep love of music, our alliance with other great musicians and our manager, Irving Azoff, we built something that has lasted longer than anyone could have dreamed. But, Glenn was the one who started it all. He was the spark plug, the man with the plan. He had an encyclopedic knowledge of popular music and a work ethic that wouldn’t quit. He was funny, bullheaded, mercurial, generous, deeply talented and driven. He loved his wife and kids more than anything.

We are all in a state of shock, disbelief and profound sorrow. We brought our two-year “History of the Eagles Tour” to a triumphant close at the end of July and now he is gone. I’m not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some.”

-Don Henley

UndertheWire
01-18-2016, 08:12 PM
So sad. We were all hoping that no news was good news.

NOLA
01-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Shocked and saddened beyond belief. My deepest sympathies go out to his family, fellow Eagles, and close friends. RIP, Glenn. :(:weep:

ETA: Beautiful statement from Don H. I can only imagine the depth of the sadness he is feeling right now. :(

DJ
01-18-2016, 10:43 PM

I hope he's in Heaven now, and I'll see him again one day, but right now all I feel is anguish.

It's so true Nancy, No more Eagles and that's hard to swallow. My heart breaks for his family and band mates. :stunned:

klmeps
01-18-2016, 10:44 PM
I'm in disbelief and shock as is everyone here. Words escape me. I do want to say how much I'm thinking not only of Glenn's family and his fellow Eagles but so many of you here- first ones who came to mind when I got the unbelieavable news was Soda of course, but Dreamer, FP, VA, GA, Brooke, etc.... My heart goes out to all of you. If I'm this devastated, I can only imagine how hard it's hitting all of you.

Well said. I am still in shock and heartbroken but I too thought about those of you here that I've met and remember sitting in the hotel in NYC hearing you guys talk about Glenn. I know how much he means to you.

Brooke
What a beautiful statement from Don.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. We have lost everything that was Eagles. His music will live on though.

VAisForEagleLovers
I am beyond devastated. It is so hard to believe, and it'll be a long time before I come to grips with it. An amazing musician, an amazing vocalist, an amazing man. He gave so much to all of us in so many ways. While my knees feel like they've been cut out from under me, what I hold closely to my heart is the absolute joy he always brought to me, through his music and through him just being him.

My heart hurts for his fellow band-mates and especially his family. My thoughts and prayers are going out for all of us, and most especially them.

Tori
01-18-2016, 10:48 PM
The heart-racing, hands-shaking, loud sobbing, anguish-filled rollercoaster I've felt over the past couple hours has been so exhausting that I am just numb right now. My prayers and love go to Glenn's family, his friends, and of course the band. I never in a million years thought he'd be the first to go. Rest well, Glenn, we all love you more than words can ever say.

This was brought up with Bowie's death on Twitter, and I'll modify it a bit for us - whenever you feel sad about this, just know that you managed to exist at the same time as Glenn Frey. :heart:

As for us Borderers... this is obviously going to be very hard. One day at a time. We'll get through this, impossible as it may seem. Stay strong, friends.

AlreadyGone95
01-18-2016, 10:48 PM
I was at my uncle's house when my mom called and told me. At first, I said "you're f**king joking, right?". Then I saw it on NBC Nightly news. I've been crying and grieving ever since. I'm in a state of disbelief. I just feel out of it. :weep::weep:

RIP Glenn. Your music has meant more to me this past year than almost anything else. My thoughts and prayers go out to Cindy, his kids, friends, and bandmates.

What Don said is beautiful.

sodascouts
01-18-2016, 10:49 PM
From Stevie Nicks (http://stevienicksofficial.com/):

"I’m sure more words will come later. Seeing though my tears to this white paper is almost impossible right now. For now…just this… Take it easy, Mr Frey~ As you fly~ Take it easy~ Stevie Nicks (Brokenhearted)"

OutlawManNJ
01-18-2016, 10:53 PM
Any word from Felder yet? Nothing on his twitter.

sad-cafe
01-18-2016, 10:57 PM
I. JUST. CAN. Not. believe this or wrap my head around it.

This wasn't supposed to happen. Like. I can not even...............

RIP Glenn

heart-broken

Aussiefan
01-18-2016, 11:04 PM
Thank you for the music, the entertainment, and for being the soundtrack to my life growing up.
Rest in peace Glenn Frey.
The end of an era...
Shattered......

luvthelighthouse
It was all too surreal until I read Don's statement. My tears are nothing compared to those of you who hold Glenn deep in your heart daily. Of course I feel for his family, bandmates and close friends... But my heart hurts for so many of you here, Especially Soda. Without her true appreciation of Glenn this online community would not exist. while I haven't been on here in a very long time, it was always comforting to know that it was here... The knowledge and friends I gained when I was a daily visitor has not been forgotten. So many fans devastated… An era has ended…

AlreadyGone95
Bob Seger remembers Glenn Frey.

"I knew him for 50 years," an emotional Seger told Billboard. "He was a great kid. I always kind of thought of him as my baby brother, a little bit. He was f---ing brilliant. He was a joy to be around. I always looked forward to seeing him. It was always memorable. He had an amazing sense of humor and was just smart, whip-smart."
"Every time I saw him in the last 10, 11 years, he was so grateful to the fans," Seger said of Frey. "The first thing he'd say to me -- normally he'd start with a joke or something -- but then he'd say to me, 'Isn't it amazing, Bob, we're still doing this at our age? I am so grateful that these fans keep coming out.' And he meant it, every word. He was definitely sincere."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6844109/bob-seger-glenn-frey-reaction?utm_source=twitter

Ohiocoach
01-18-2016, 11:06 PM
I am absolutely devastated. Was in the car when I received a text and feverishly began searching the internet praying it was not true. If I had the opportunity to meet one celebrity it would have been Glenn. In a weird way, I always thought I would. Can't say enough how much his work has shaped my life. I know those of you on here know exactly what I mean. Saw them many times but so glad to have seen one of their last concerts this past summer.

Prayers to Glenn's family and friends and to all of you. Things just won't be the same.

Islander canuck
01-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Rest in peace. Thank you for the music.

SilverMoon
01-19-2016, 07:59 AM
I was shocked and sad to hear about Glenn’s passing. At 67, he was too young to die. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Glenn.

SilverMoon
01-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Don Felder paid tribute to Glenn on Facebook last night.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/SilverMoon333/TF/20_zpsh13yvxkm.jpg

chaim
01-19-2016, 08:10 AM
This is a very sad day. It was sad when Lemmy died, but it didn't touch me personally. Then Bowie died, and it was really "close to home" emotionally. This one is home. Glenn was one of my first musical heroes, and he never ceased to be one.

Sometimes when a rock musicians dies, there are tons of people praising him/her - some of whom probably hadn't listened to his/her music he/she was alive. Whereas I'm pretty sure there are tons of people who have enjoyed Glenn's music without knowing it. I hope I'm wrong, but I have this fear that while many people tend to be overpraised when they have passed away, Glenn still won't be recognized for what he really was among the masses. I wish more people would realize how selfless Glenn was in the Eagles - how he really cared about what he thought was good for the band. In the latter part of the 70's he sang less and less, gave one of his best guitar solos away, didn't push his ideas on the albums just because they were his. I don't think that's a very common quality in the human race. I don't have many Facebook friends, but I tried to do my share and say this about Glenn to those who care to read my posts. Having said that, I don't think Glenn minds too much even if people still don't realize this stuff. After all, he was a real team player.

"Sooner or later we all have to die" and in the big picture (which Glenn always saw) I'll get over this, but at the moment I'm very sad. RIP Glenn, I love you.

timfan
01-19-2016, 08:19 AM
I am still struggling for words to describe what I'm feeling.. shocked, devastated.. heartbroken all come to mind.

Glenn is gone; much too early. May he Rest in Peace, knowing the joy he brought to so many with his talent and amazing music. For those of us who got to interact with Glenn we've got some very special memories to be cherished always.

My thoughts and best wishes to Cindy, the children, the Eagles and everyone on this board as we all struggle to come to terms with this shattering event.

The Eagles era has ended. :weep:

flojo
01-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Gutted doesn't even come close. Rest in Peace Glenn.

Dirk
01-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Dear Glenn,
You've been with me all of my life.
Now you are with me in my memories.
With each song from the Eagles then you'll come back to life for me.
Germany's so sad.
Dirk

timfan
01-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Article from the Detroit Free press with new info from Bob Seger :

Frey had suffered from colitis most of his life, but largely kept the effects at bay with an active workout regimen during middle age, Seger said. But Frey's medical issues increasingly took their toll, he said, and he took a turn for the worse in the fall, and was induced into a coma by his doctors in New York.

"First he caught one set of pneumonia, then he caught a very virulent set of pneumonia," Seger said. "They were trying like hell to keep him alive. He'd been at Columbia University Medical Center since November. (Eagles manager) Irving (Azoff) pulled every ace out of the hole — he had the eight best specialists working on Glenn. About a month ago, they had to throw up their hands."

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/18/glenn-frey-detroit-dead-at-67/78977100/

UndertheWire
01-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Of all the things written, the one that gets to me is JD Souther: https://www.facebook.com/jdsouthermusic/posts/10153511319756725

Midnight_Flyer
01-19-2016, 08:41 AM
i can't believe it......stunned:weep:

UndertheWire
01-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Toni, I think you will appreciate Richard Marx's twitter post.

In addition to a killer voice and masterful songwriting skills #glennfrey (https://twitter.com/hashtag/glennfrey?src=hash) played 1 of the greatest guitar solos ever http://youtu.be/2ukrATXzm_c (https://t.co/R1NK9ZsI7G)
(https://t.co/R1NK9ZsI7G)

chaim
01-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Toni, I think you will appreciate Richard Marx's twitter post.

Indeed I do. That's great, thanks!

EDIT:

Although someone tried to "correct" him, saying it's Felder. :(

OntheBorder74
01-19-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm still struggling to believe it as I've listened to his songs pretty much every day for the last three years. He was my idol, his voice, his guitar work, his arrangements and his songwriting all clicked with me more than any other music I have heard in 25 years. He's got me through some lonely times and I've spent whole days listening to his music and appreciating his underrated contribution to music. Listening to his songs today as I always do at a louder volume he sounds even more alive and magical than ever before and I know his contributions will be even more appreciated in decades to come it's shame it will only be noticed now by many after his death while us Glenn fans knew all along.

I will always remember that one time in Manchester Arena in June 2014 where I finally got to see him in the flesh and hear him live sing Tequila Sunrise

Take It Easy Glenn, One More Time :)

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 08:52 AM
I came up with this during the night because I couldn't sleep.

You first had a peaceful easy feeling and took it easy in 1972.
You were an outlaw man in 1973.
You sang about another tequila sunrise in 1973.
You became already gone in 1974.
You paid your respects to James Dean in 1974.
You told us that we can't hide our lyin' eyes in 1975.
You were a new kid in town in 1977.
You had a heartache tonight in 1979.
You sang about the one you love in 1982.
You went to Partytown in 1982.
You had the smuggler's blues in 1984.
You sang about being an allnighter in 1984.
The heat was on for you in 1985.
You belonged to the city in 1985.
You were livin' right in 1988.
You sang about true love in 1988.
You went to flip city for the Ghostbusters 2 movie in 1989.
You sang about the long hot summer in LA in 1992.
You were on a river of dreams in 1992.
You got over it 1994.*
You wanted to be called on in 1995
You didn't want there to be anymore cloudy days in 2004(or 2007)
You wondered how long in 2007.
You told your daughter (and us) that we aren't alone in 2007.
You dreamed that there was no more war in 2007.
You got your kicks on route 66 in 2012.
You told us about the history of your band in 2013.
Now, in 2016, you belong to the ages.

RIP to Eagles founder, guitarist, and vocalist Glenn Frey, Nov. 6th, 1948- Jan. 18th, 2016. Thank you for doing all of things for us! Your music will live on!

* he didn't sing lead on Get Over It, but it fits.

okie1gal69
01-19-2016, 08:56 AM
My heart is heavy. :weep: My husband and I went to the History of the eagles tour when it came to Oklahoma city in May 2015. We got last minute tickets and I am so glad we did! The Eagles have always been my favorite music group. I had the Best of the Eagles cassette and played it and sang along with it until i wore it out! Our thoughts and prayers are with Glenn Frey's family, and fellow band members. Take it to the limit, Glenn!
Love and prayers,
Erin Kehl

chaim
01-19-2016, 09:00 AM
I came up with this during the night because I couldn't sleep.

You first had a peaceful easy feeling and took it easy in 1972.
You were an outlaw man in 1973.
You became already gone in 1974.
You paid your respects to James Dean in 1974.
You told us that we can't hide our lyin' eyes in 1975.
You were a new kid in town in 1977.
You had a heartache tonight in 1979.
You sang about the one you love in 1982.
You went to Partytown in 1982.
You had the smuggler's blues in 1984.
You sang about being an allnighter in 1984.
The heat was on for you in 1985.
You belonged to the city in 1985.
You were livin' right in 1988.
You sang about true love in 1988.
You went to flip city for the Ghostbusters 2 movie in 1989.
You sang about the long hot summer in LA in 1992.
You were on a river of dreams in 1992.
You got over it 1994.*
You wanted to be called on in 1995
You didn't want there to be anymore cloudy days in 2004(or 2007)
You wondered how long in 2007.
You told your daughter (and us) that we aren't alone in 2007.
You dreamed that there was no more war in 2007.
You got your kicks on route 66 in 2012.
You told about the history of your band in 2013.
Now, in 2016, you belong to the ages.

RIP to Eagles founder, guitarist, and vocalist Glenn Frey, Nov. 6th, 1948- Jan. 18th, 2016

* he didn't sing lead on Get Over It, but it fits.

I love this! This is brilliant!

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 09:15 AM
I love this! This is brilliant!

Thanks Chaim. It just popped into my head at about 5 am this morning.

NOLA
01-19-2016, 09:20 AM
It's so true Nancy, No more Eagles and that's hard to swallow. My heart breaks for his family and band mates. :stunned:

For me, this is what hurts the most. The band has come to a very sad and abrupt end, and so has an era. RIP, Eagles. :(:weep:

daniel turley
01-19-2016, 09:24 AM
So sad RIP Glenn

carol7lynn
01-19-2016, 09:40 AM
"When he shall die, cut him into little stars,and he shall make the heavens so fond, that all the world will fall in love with the night and pay no worship to the garish sun."

:weep::weep::weep::weep:

timfan
01-19-2016, 09:44 AM
For me, this is what hurts the most. The band has come to a very sad and abrupt end, and so has an era. RIP, Eagles. :(:weep:

I find I am mourning on two fronts. First for Glenn's passing but also for the end of the Eagles without a true chance to say goodbye as fans.

Both hurt tremendously and I can only hope the remaining Eagles give us some sort of a show (centred around a Glenn tribute?) as a farewell in the near future.

eaglesvet
01-19-2016, 09:51 AM
SO sad. The last couple of weeks has been so unbelievably hard, what with David Bowie and now Glenn passing away...musicians I have grown up with and grown older with. When I heard the news yesterday, my first thoughts went to this website and the friends I met a few years ago--Soda, Dreamer, and others at Hershey, the Bitter End, and BergenPAC. Although I don't check in here any longer, I do think of you all from time to time, and I do know how much you are aching right now. Condolences and prayers to Glenn's family, bandmates, and fans. His music will live on.

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 09:54 AM
I've got to say that the pneumonia thing is familiar to me. It's part of what took out my dad in 2007. Lying there flat on your back with a weakened immune system really leaves you susceptible to pneumonia.

I never had the pleasure of seeing the band live like so many have. I'll just have to cherish the happiness that Glenn's music gave me and will give me.

secret squirrel
01-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Been all day trying to get onto the Border but it's been too busy - a measure of our love for a man who was the spark that lit the conflagration of the Eagles. No words yet. Love to everyone here and Glenn's family and friends.

Horrified that only got a ticker tape mention on BBC.

First Bowie, now Glenn.

Sad beyond belief.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/glenn-frey-cowboy-casanova.html

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2016, 10:10 AM
This is the first time I have had access to the Border since last night when news of Glenn :heart:'s death was broken. I am heartbroken beyond words. I will post a proper appreciation later

scottside
01-19-2016, 10:11 AM
This last paragraph from an article in BILLBOARD gives me a little hope that maybe there could be more of Glenn's music out eventually:

As the History of the Eagles Tour wound down last year, Frey certainly had his eye on the future. Despite his medical issues, he spoke of being "three-quarters finished" with some songs for a solo album of original material. And, according to Henley, Frey was taking the lead role in development an Eagles musical for Broadway. "We're very fortunate," Frey said at the time. "We use the Eagles as the mothership and then we go out and do individual stuff, whether it's acting or environmental work or solo shows, then we come back to the Eagles and it's fresh again, so we've been able to strike a good balance between personal life, personal career and Eagles business.

UndertheWire
01-19-2016, 10:13 AM
I find I am mourning on two fronts. First for Glenn's passing but also for the end of the Eagles without a true chance to say goodbye as fans.

Both hurt tremendously and I can only hope the remaining Eagles give us some sort of a show (centred around a Glenn tribute?) as a farewell in the near future.
I see "The History of the Eagles" tour as a pretty good farewell to fans and they managed it without missing a show.

bashful badger
01-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Unbelievably sad. My Mum suffered from both rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis. Very difficult conditions to manage. It's incredible that he coped with the workload that he did and gave so much to the world.

He has outsoared the shadow of our night;
Envy and calumny, and hate and pain,
And that unrest which men miscall delight,
Can touch him not and torture not again ...

TimFan222
01-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Sitting on the couch yesterday when the news came through. Felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. I never met him personally but I feel like I have lost my best friend. Makes me even more grateful for all the HOTE shows I was privileged to see!! Still can't believe this is true.
RIP Glenn. My best to Glenn's family, the other Eagles band members and everyone who loved him.

secret squirrel
01-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Unbelievably sad. My Mum suffered from both rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis. Very difficult conditions to manage. It's incredible that he coped with the workload that he did and gave so much to the world.

He has outsoared the shadow of our night;
Envy and calumny, and hate and pain,
And that unrest which men miscall delight,
Can touch him not and torture not again ...

Thanks, sis. Our Dad's had a stroke and is due out of hospital today and I can't think about saying the words 'Glenn Frey has died' without bursting into tears.

SS
xx

AlterEaglesBand
01-19-2016, 10:38 AM
Having had a night here (in NYC coincidentally) to reflect on the passing of Glenn Frey, my musical role model, and fielding the various texts, notes, and calls from shocked and saddened friends, I feel infinite loss and sadness but also tremendous gratitude.

The Eagles were the defining group of my youth, when my musical sensibilities were developing. Glenn Frey's cool, relaxed, semi-country way of singing those wonderfully accessible melodies and themes combined with the unbeatable harmonies just grabbed ahold of me and became the sound track of my life. I remember copying his lead to Witchy Woman note for note as maybe the first guitar lead I ever played.

I have played the Eagles' songs throughout the years in so many places and variations I can't even remember, and of course most special in the last 6 years as part of the Alter Eagles.

Having had the honor of paying tribute to Glenn Frey and the music of the Eagles all these years, how can I feel anything other than intense gratitude to him for what his contribution has meant in my life and those of my bandmates? What a sad loss and way, way too soon.

RIP, prayers and Godspeed Glenn Frey. Thank you for all you gave us and for inspiring so many, including a 12 year old boy in Ruskin, Florida trying to find his own voice

Brooke
01-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Don Felder paid tribute to Glenn on Facebook last night.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/SilverMoon333/TF/20_zpsh13yvxkm.jpg

An awesome tribute from Felder! :shock:

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 10:49 AM
The Golf Channel's website put a memorial article up.
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/players-pay-tribute-rock-legend-golf-enthusiast-frey/?cid=twitter-gc-a-players-pay-tribute-to-rock-legend-011916

ktdids
01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Lost for words when I found out that Glenn was gone. Still can't believe it, still in shock. Can't imagine what his family and the band are going through, my thoughts are with them all, and for everyone here. I tried to get on the board when I actually found out at 2 am, but couldn't get on. It was almost as if it had gone into mourning.
Rest easy Glenn.

Brooke
01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Article from the Detroit Free press with new info from Bob Seger :

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/18/glenn-frey-detroit-dead-at-67/78977100/

Wow, makes me wonder how they kept this a secret for so long! I wish we could have known that things weren't going well. It would have made it a bit more bearable. So sorry Glenn had to go through all of this. Thoughts and prayers for his family and the rest of the band. A very sad time for all Eagles fans.

Victim of Love
01-19-2016, 11:05 AM
It has taken me until this morning to full grasp the magnitude of the news but I haven't come to terms with it yet. Over recent past weeks I think we've all been lulled into a state of 'no news is good news' regarding Glenn and his health issues by virtue of the lack of reports and knowing that his style is to pull back from the media to deal with private, personal matters. After the initial news reports last fall that he would be undergoing surgery and entering into a prolonged recovery period, I guess we all assumed (because of the lack of updates) that he was on the mend. As the news reports have filtered out, particularly the item in the Detroit Free Press and statements from Bob Seger, we now sadly know otherwise.

Glenn's contributions thru his stellar career have been the foundation for the music of our lives and it's impossible to grasp that we've come to the end of an era on so many levels. I will always be grateful for his talent, his determined work ethic and, most importantly, that he selflessly shared it with the world and gave us so much to love. His easy banter on stage and even the jokes that we heard so many times will bring a smile to my face when recalled. Glenn lives on in our hearts and thru the music...he'll always be with us.

I'm paraphrasing here but when Mom and I talked lastnight she said it best: He always appreciated his fans and knew that the band would not have achieved their longevity and tremendous success without us, but from his vantage point in Heaven he's going to have a new understanding of the love and respect we all have for him.

I'll never stop missing him and the countless gifts he's given us thru his music but every time I see an eagle soaring in the sky I'll see Glenn and will know that he is okay.

DJ
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
You said it brilliantly. I'm in tears again for the 3rd time today.

Agree Eagles4EverFan, at random moments the reality hits again, he's gone and the tears fall. I cannot comprehend what his wife and children must be feeling. He was so brave to be able to perform for so long and be so ill.
I imagine one day it will all sink in that all we have now is the talented music memories. I just remember him on the HOTE saying: They made a F---ing Cowboy record, and have to smile. I guess that's what we all need to hold onto the great happy,memorable moments he gave to all his fans.

travlnman2
01-19-2016, 11:49 AM
I sent this message to Felder over facebook and to Henley.

Don I am so sorry and extremely heartbroken over the loss of your bandmate Glenn Frey I am literally crying right now.. (I typed this for Felder) Even though you didn't always get along and no matter the bad blood no matter the arguments. You two will always be brothers( this is what I typed for Henley) I hope you are doing well this sad time but I truly hope that You Bernie, Randy, Felder, Joe and Timothy will unite as one again.(This is the same ending for both of them.) Nothing would make Glenn happier then two see ALL his band mates put aside their differences and pay tribute to their fallen friend I am sure he would have done the same. You 7 guys have brought happiness and Joy to millions of people around the world and to see them to come together with the remaining members to show there love for him would put the biggest smile on his face. Because it wasn't wasted time.

Well baby, there you stand
With your little head, down in your hand
Oh, my God, you can't believe it's happening again
Your baby's gone, and you're all alone
And it looks like the end.

And you're back out on the street.
And you're tryin' to remember.
How do you start it over?
You don't know if you can.
You don't care much for a stranger's touch,
But you can't hold your man.

You never thought you'd be alone this far down the line
And I know what's been on your mind
You're afraid it's all been wasted time

The autumn leaves have got you thinking about the first time that you fell
You didn't love the boy too much, no, no, you just loved the boy too well,
Farewell
So you live from day to day, and you dream about tomorrow, oh.
And the hours go by like minutes and the shadows come to stay
So you take a little something to make them go away
And I could have done so many things, baby
If I could only stop my mind from wonderin' what
I left behind and from worrying 'bout this wasted time

Oh, another love has come and gone
Oh, and the years keep rushing on
I remember what you told me before you went out on your own:
"Sometimes to keep it together, we got to leave it alone."
So you can get on with your search, baby, and I can get on with mine
And maybe someday we will find , that it wasn't really wasted time
Mm, hm
Oh hoo, ooh, oh,
Ooh, ooh, mm

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016 we miss you.

EasyFeeling
01-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Hey guys! I haven't been here for a while... heard about Glenn's passing in the radio in the news when I woke up this morning. I missed most of it, just heard they mentioning his name. I immediately knew something happened, jumped out of my bed, grabbed my phone to go online... then saw it was reality :-( Devastating news... I am deeply saddened! I know he had these problems but never saw this coming!
My heart goes out to his wife and family and to his band mates, I have no words! Facebook is flooded with condolences from musicians and fans. It is an awful sad day for everyone who is a fan of him and the band.
Gosh, I don't know what to say, really! He will be terribly missed!

daniel turley
01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Even when we are apart you'll always be in my heart, when dark clouds appear in the sky remember true love never dies. RIP Glenn

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 11:56 AM
I've been crying off and on all night and now morning. Sleep didn't come last night. I woke up at 3:30 am and found myself looking at the NFA poster on my wall. I busted in tears. My mom keeps telling me that "he's just a singer". To me, he's so much more than that. It's like through his music, he's a part of me.

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Yesterday morning, I was out visiting a hospice for community service (our college does that every Martin Luther King day). To the elderly people suffering, we sang hymns about hope and Heaven. Little did I know what when I got home, I would be thinking about Glenn crossing over to the other side.

I was on the couch and I got an alert that my site had crashed, but it was different this time. It hadn't crashed because of my lame server, but because Glenn Frey Online suddenly had literally thousands, then hundreds of thousands, then millions of hits. I was getting on the phone to the webhost when I got a text from Willie - then a flood more. So awful, so awful, but so good to come here and get comfort.

I want to do a tribute for him but I can't even look at photos, videos, can't even listen to the music without crying. It's just so hard.

At work people can see I'm upset but they don't know what to say. I just carry on, like he always did.

I barely slept last night, just crying. I haven't eaten. I know I need to but I feel like I lost a family member. I'm not dealing with this very well, I'm afraid, but again reading all this helps.

I never said this on the board but in mid-December, I had a very intense dream where Glenn was in a lot of pain but was telling me it would be alright. Debbie (Houston Baby) had a dream the same night, although it was a lot more positive. At the time, we talked about it and thought it was just a manifestation of our concern for him but now, hearing that he has been in a coma, I wonder if God was trying to prepare us. Perhaps that's silly but I wonder.

Witchy Woman
01-19-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm in absolute shock. I guess none of us knew how sick he really was. My condolences to his family and friends. This is devastating.

TW
01-19-2016, 12:11 PM
i couldnt bring myself to post on here until this morning
i cannot believe that glenn is gone. it seems so surreal. glenn was my childhood and although i was never able to see him live i still felt the magic everytime i heard one of his songs. i just cant express my sorrow at this moment. at least he doesn't have to suffer any longer.
i miss you buddy <3
rip glenn lewis frey
november 6, 1948
-
january 18, 2016

LuvTim
01-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Yesterday morning, I was out visiting a hospice for community service (our college does that every Martin Luther King day). To the elderly people suffering, we sang hymns about hope and Heaven. Little did I know what when I got home, I would be thinking about Glenn crossing over to the other side.

I was on the couch and I got an alert that my site had crashed, but it was different this time. It hadn't crashed because of my lame server, but because Glenn Frey Online suddenly had literally hundreds of thousands, then millions of hits. I was getting on the phone to the webhost when I got a text from Willie - then a flood more. So awful, so awful, but so good to come here and get comfort.

I want to do a tribute for him but I can't even look at photos, videos, can't even listen to the music without crying. It's just so hard.

At work people can see I'm upset but they don't know what to say. I just carry on, like he always did.

I barely slept last night, just crying. I haven't eaten. I know I need to but I feel like I lost a family member. I'm not dealing with this very well, I'm afraid, but again reading all this helps.

I never said this on the board but in mid-December, I had a very intense dream where Glenn was in a lot of pain but was telling me it would be alright. Debbie (Houston Baby) had a dream the same night, although it was a lot more positive. At the time, we talked about it and thought it was just a manifestation of our concern for him but now, hearing that he has been in a coma, I wonder if God was trying to prepare us. Perhaps that's silly but I wonder.

Soda, you have enabled a community of people full of grace to express their love and admiration over the years; and now, their anguish in loss, again together to comfort one another through the pain.

We are thinking of you so strongly today, and through our tears, holding up you and all of the rest of us for strength.

You don't have to be in the presence of someone to make them family: shared love does this for us. God bless us all in this very difficult time. I'm so proud to dwell here amongst you, our fine Eagles family.

jms18222
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Sunday night I was watching the Eagles Farewell Tour video from NZ. As many times as I have watched that video I never saw the ending where Glenn, Joe & Don had little snippets included. When Glenn jokes & said " We're going to do this forever...it's going to be called Reincarnation I". I will tell you I got chills hearing that, never would have thought this would have happened the very next day. Heartbroken can't even describe it. I am so happy I spent the money to see them in July.

I read where he never had the surgery, that he had been in the hospital since Oct 27th with pneumonia.

Just so very very sad.

RIP dear Glenn.

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Where did you hear that, jms? I need all the info I can get. People are asking me questions via email and I want to give the right information.

NightMistBlue
01-19-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm so very sorry that our fellow Border members are hurting now. I wish there was something we could do to take the pain away. Nancy and Kim, I thought of you especially, soon after the complete shock of hearing about Glenn on the evening news last night.

At least we can share our feelings here with each other, with people who understand Glenn was more than "just a singer."

UndertheWire
01-19-2016, 12:35 PM
I visited the official facebook for the band and there were more than 67,000 comments against the post.

Soda, you've invested so much of your time and effort over the last ten years supporting this man and his contributions. You are allowed to grieve. We all are. He touched us and we can be thankful for that. What's so great about pretending we don't care? We are allowed to cry over films or books, so why not when one of our heroes leaves us?

I don't know how much of it is empathy and how much is the reminder of the mortality of ourselves and people around us. It may be that we associate him with a time when we were young and bulletproof and we've now lost some of that innocence.

Usually when I can't sleep, I turn to After Hours but last night I just couldn't. I played some of the news videos and realised my foot was tapping along with the songs. It seems I can take the upbeat songs, but not the more intimate crooning. At least for now.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-19-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm still struggling to process this as reality.

I've lost my beloved parents and a few other family members over the past few years. This must be real because it kinda feels a lot like that.

Of course, I'll write more over the coming days as I come to terms with this.
For now, my heart aches for Glenn's family, band members, friends, and fans all over the globe.

R.I.P. our amazing troubadour.

chaim
01-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Soda, I think it's possible that you did have a genuine connection with Glenn in your dream. Someone close to me has premonition dreams, so I know that this stuff happens. But why you? Maybe he wanted to send a message to Eagles fans through you. I'm not saying that this happened, but it's entirely possible.

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm so very sorry that our fellow Border members are hurting now. I wish there was something we could do to take the pain away. Nancy and Kim, I thought of you especially, soon after the complete shock of hearing about Glenn on the evening news last night.

At least we can share our feelings here with each other, with people who understand Glenn was more than "just a singer."

Thanks so much for your PM last night, NMB. It really means alot. Tbh, I haven't felt like this since my own dad died. I feel like there's a huge hole in my heart. My uncle understood more. He even recorded several of the memorials on tv for me this morning. I tried watching the Live in Dublin dvd last night, but I ended up crying too much to enjoy it. I can barely eat myself(gonna try to eat lunch soon). Not being able to access the border from about 9:30 last night until 7 this morning didn't help. I can take looking at photos, and so that's what I'm doing for the time being.

rstonehill
01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
I am stunned and numb. I have been a fan for 44 years, since I first heard Take it Easy at the age of 11 or twelve. I was blessed to see their first show at the Santa Monica Civic and dozens after that, until their final show (for me) in Charlotte, NC a couple of years ago. There are no words that can describe the completeness of their music in my life, except to say it is my soundtrack. I have always felt that their music was my personal gift from God, and I know that millions of others feel the very same way. Our hearts are heavy and broken, that this beautiful voice both written and vocal has been silenced. My deepest sympathies and prayers for comfort for his family, friends and brothers in music. I know how much he will be missed in this world, just multiply my sorrow by millions. Rest in peace Glenn, and thank you from the bottom of my heart. :weep:

jms18222
01-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Where did you hear that, jms? I need all the info I can get. People are asking me questions via email and I want to give the right information.

No problem. I read this last night on my phone. I read 3 stories & had to remember which one had that story. I had to give up after 3 because it just hurt too much. Yesterday was my birthday too. I am offically changing it to July 18th.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-me-ln-eagles-founding-member-glenn-frey-dead-at-67-20160118-story.html

UndertheWire
01-19-2016, 01:12 PM
(Not jms but) it's in an Associate Press story, so will have been on a newspaper site. Here's one link (http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article55319505.html).
Also check the comments from Bob Seger in The Detroit Free Press.
ETA: The Detroit Free Press Story has been updated with a lot more from Bob, so even if you read it earlier, you should revisit.
http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/18/bob-seger-friend-glenn-frey-he-my-cheerleader/78984718/

Ohiocoach
01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Fought it for the last 18 hours, but finally just broke down. Bawled like a baby. Glenn seemed to be the most versatile Eagle in terms of living life to its fullest. So full of life. Cannot bear the thought of how sad and tragic his last days must have been. Still doesn't seem real.

MaryCalifornia
01-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Good morning, my sweet Borderers :grouphug:

My husband pulled up in our driveway last night, I happened to be out there, and he put the window down and yelled, "Did Glenn Frey die?" I have to say it was a shock to me to hear that, but not a TOTAL shock, you know? We did know he was ill, and that one comment from the Glenn Health thread re: Kennedy Center that said, "He is very ill and needs our prayers" really got to me - even though it may have been anonymous. I don't think his status was a secret to those around him, Irving was the one working on getting the doctors, etc...

Soda, I believe it was in one of the LA Times articles that Irving said Glenn never had the surgery, but I have to go back and check - I read that, as well, and it was from someone who would know - I'll find it for you.

If not for Glenn, Nancy would not have poured her heart (and $$) into this site, and so many of us would not have had the enjoyment we've had these years. I am so grateful to him and will miss him so much. Soda, GA, FP, GH - all of you hardcore Glenn-lovers, I'm so sorry. Please know you can always come here and we will lift you up.

chaim
01-19-2016, 01:19 PM
It seems that Paul Stanley is a big Glenn fan. He wrote about Glenn's death on his Twitter page, and he wrote another, different tribute on the official KISS page. I love the Glenn photo they used for the latter:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/busites_www/kissonline/content/articles/glenn.jpg

MaryCalifornia
01-19-2016, 01:22 PM
I have to say, this, from Irving, has tinges of "public" to it, no? - Is it too much to hope that fans could attend?

“There will be a major memorial, and it will be in L.A.,” Azoff said. “The only thing the family and guys in the band ask is that we want to plan it right.”

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the links, guys.

This memorial Azoff speaks of... if it's open to the public, I will be there. I will tell them at work that I am going to a memorial service for a loved one, and it will be the absolute truth.

MaryCalifornia
01-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Great minds think alike, Soda.

I will be thinking of you all day today :heart:

Jonny Come Lately
01-19-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm devastated, absolutely devastated to hear this. I went to bed early last night so I did not hear this terrible news until this morning. I was shocked and still can't quite believe it. I had to do an exam today as well, luckily it was in the afternoon which gave me some time to process this. From a personal point of view, apart from the sadness that I feel from Glenn's passing, it is now a deep regret of mine that I was never able to see the Eagles live.

Some of the tributes so far have been wonderful, including some beautiful posts in this thread. I also found Stevie Nicks' brief comments especially moving. The tribute on the official website was lovely and I thought putting up the lyrics from It's Your Now World Now was perfect.

There are so many great lyrics I could choose from that but I have just been listening to My Man and Bernie's words resonated more than ever now we have had to deal with the first loss in the band's history.

Tell me the truth, how do you feel?
Like you're rollin' so fast that you're spinnin' your wheels?
Don't feel too bad, you're not all along
We're all tryin' to get along
With everybody else tryin' to go their way
You're bound to get tripped, and what can you say?
Just go along 'til they turn out the lights
There's nothin' we can do to fight it

No man's got it made till he's far beyond the pain
And we who must remain go on living just the same

I once knew a man, very talented guy
He's sing for the people and people would cry
They knew that his song came from deep down inside
You could hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes

And so he traveled along, touch your heart, then be gone
Like a flower, he bloomed till that old hickory wind
Called him home

My man's got it made
He's gone far beyond the pain
And we who must remain go on living just the same
We who must remain go on laughing just the same

RIP Glenn Frey 1948-2016. I hope he is at peace and I just wish this day hadn't come so soon.

Lisa
01-19-2016, 01:46 PM
I remember the time before the Hell Freezes Over Tour; when Glenn was ill; and the public was worried--it was such an ordeal for Eagles fans to think that Glenn's life could have been in the balance. It is now many years later, and Glenn has had so many vital years as an artist. I always thought he'd become older.

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 01:50 PM
(Not jms but) it's in an Associate Press story, so will have been on a newspaper site. Here's one link (http://www.star-telegram.com/news/nation-world/national/article55319505.html).
Also check the comments from Bob Seger in The Detroit Free Press.
ETA: The Detroit Free Press Story has been updated with a lot more from Bob, so even if you read it earlier, you should revisit.
http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/01/18/bob-seger-friend-glenn-frey-he-my-cheerleader/78984718/

After reading that Detroit Free Press Story, I'm back to crying. It seems like he suffered so much during the past few months.

MaryCalifornia
01-19-2016, 01:52 PM
From Bob Seger:

"First he caught one set of pneumonia, then he caught a very virulent set of pneumonia," Seger said. "They were trying like hell to keep him alive. He'd been at Columbia University Medical Center since November. (Eagles manager) Irving (Azoff) pulled every ace out of the hole — he had the eight best specialists working on Glenn. About a month ago, they had to throw up their hands."

chaleymom
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM
I haven't been on here for a while - but just had to drop in and share condolences on the tragic loss. I was fortunate to see the Eagles 5 times - once when my husband and I flew out to LA to see them a couple years ago, and the last time in Cincinnati in 2014 when we were lucky enough to get front row seats. They were in my home town of Dayton, Ohio just this past summer, but I didn't get to see them. They have been a part of my growing up years and well into my adult years. I now know why I saw my dad crying when Bing Crosby died. I feel the same way.

RIP Glenn - and prayers of peace and understanding to all his family, friends and of course the rest of the band who will now have to live in this world without him.

StephUK
01-19-2016, 02:00 PM
So very sad that Glenn has passed away.

I like to think that when he got to the other side, Glenn picked up a guitar, told the 'plaintiff ' joke, then started to strum the first bars of Lyin' eyes.

NOLA
01-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Not silly at all, Soda! Never been much of a skeptic when it comes to these things. Through your dreams, you and HB shared special connections with Glenn, and thank you for sharing them with the rest of us.

SilverAcidRayne
01-19-2016, 02:21 PM
I can't stop crying. I feel physically ill. I can barely type because my hands are shaking.

I know I'm just a fan and I can only imagine what his family is going through, but my heart is broken and it hurts. It hurts bad.

I don't want to do much of anything. I loved all the others but this one I think broke me.

luvthelighthouse
01-19-2016, 02:21 PM
It interesting the way a person you've never met can have such an effect you. For as long as I can recall, Lyin' Eye's has been in my top 10 favorite songs of all time. The Eagles really are the soundtrack of my life. I loved them before I "knew" them. As a kid, I clearly remember hearing The One You Love on the radio and waiting for it to play again. (Just now realizing both songs have to do with loving someone you aren't with- hmmm- interesting) I didn't know that was Glenn until years later, heck, at that time, I didn't even know Glenn was an Eagle. My friend/co-worker walked in today saw me and started crying. She is also a fan of the Eagles. She was playing Glenn's performance of Desperado from Letterman on her phone. We talked about the end of an era. It hurts our hearts to come to terms with his passing. My own sadness pales in comparison to those who know or have connected with him on a different level. If I'm sad, they are devastated. I can't imagine the countless people who cried themselves to sleep last night and woke with tears this morning. Glenn touched people through his music. Thankfully, we have that to hold on to.

Years ago, when I first found this site, there was fear put into me that "this could be the last time the Eagle's tour". I quickly bought a ticket to see them in Chicago. Then a few years later, they came back and I had to see them again, because the fear they may not tour again, this really could be it. Last time they were here, I skipped the show, thinking, these guys are never going to retire, I'll catch them next time. Ah, hindsight.

So many lyrics have been posted here and elsewhere that can apply to Glenn's passing. My Man, It's Your World Now... fitting and sad. Don said it best (doesn't he always), "It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it." Yes Don, it will. I've felt these guys would be rocking well into their 80's... and given the chance, I believe Glenn would have.

SilverAcidRayne
01-19-2016, 02:48 PM
please feel free to move this to a section that sees it fit. but I found this and I thought you guys would want to read it.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/irving-azoff-glenn-frey-death-comment/

travlnman2
01-19-2016, 03:01 PM
I really hope the memorial will be shown like Micheal Jacksons and hope that Randy and Felder will join Don,Joe Timothy and Bernie nothing could make Glenn happier then seeing all of his brothers pay tribute to him.

SilverAcidRayne
01-19-2016, 03:12 PM
my above comment got chopped off cause of the site issues. but I had said that I didn't wanna do much of anything. I'm still broken over this. I loved the other ones who left us but this one really hit me. and I think this will be one hell of a memorial. I'm pretty sure they will all be there.

chaim
01-19-2016, 03:44 PM
You rarely see Gene Simmons this emotional. And it's so great what he speaks about Glenn here - what Glenn did when KISS was inducted to the HOF.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1267462

Freypower
01-19-2016, 04:38 PM
"When he shall die, cut him into little stars,and he shall make the heavens so fond, that all the world will fall in love with the night and pay no worship to the garish sun."

:weep::weep::weep::weep:

From Romeo & Juliet.

Also

'Now cracks a noble heart. Goodnight, sweet prince
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest'.

(Hamlet)

And more brutally, though I will omit the two lines just before it:

'Thou'llt come no more,
Never, never, never, never, never'.

(King Lear)

I wish to thank each & every one of you for the sentiments you have expressed here.

travlnman2
01-19-2016, 04:46 PM
One of the best Eagles songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtTrxX-cfE

secondchances
01-19-2016, 05:01 PM
I have only posted on here a few times but have been a lurker for years, pretty much every day. I have never met any of you, and I never met Glenn, but I definitely have always felt I was among kindred spirits. I am so sad and feel like a part of me is gone, as the Eagles music and Glenn's music in particular have been such a comfort to my soul for so long. (Music is an amazing thing.) I can't begin to imagine what Glenn's family and friends have been through for the past few months and hopefully it will be of some comfort to them that the suffering is over. I honestly feel a bit silly that the death of someone whom I didn't even know is affecting me so, but - it is.

Thanks to all of you out there who have provided me with stories, trivia, laughs and now cries. Rest easy Glenn.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
01-19-2016, 05:06 PM

I feel exactly the same.

Freypower
01-19-2016, 05:06 PM
I suppose I should write something about how I felt yesterday. I was on Facebook at 9 am my time & it was literally the first thing I saw. I froze & became numb. It did not help that the photo they used I don't believe I had ever seen.

I was able to interact with some of my FB friends (thanks to you all & also to those of you who have left comments since, which I haven't yet read. At first I could do nothing. I shared the post. Then I changed my profile photo & wallpaper. Then I posted a couple of very personal memories, from 2011 & 2013, & so it went on. When Rosalind (who is on school holidays) got up I showed her the post & she comforted me. Then Mike rang up. Not much was said. My voice shook, but I stayed calm.

And that's it. I have not shed one tear. Not one. It seems that I can't. I am dreading when the floodgates open & I do cry. But I looked at myself in the mirror & I seem to have aged ten years.

As for the actual details it saddens me even more that he went into hospital in October, spent his birthday & Christmas there, and never came out. I hope he has gone 'far beyond the pain' now. I hope he's at peace.

Of the musicans who have paid tribute the one which surprised me most was David Coverdale - I will have to tell Mike about that. I am grateful that Don Felder made a statement.

For what he did for me & my own boundless gratitude I still have no words, except that some of my thoughts were basic - we will never hear him sing again. There will be no more photos of him.

To Nancy, I want you to know that I share your pain & I know how you feel. I will always be here for you & I must thank you for everything you have done for the Border, for me, for the band & for Glenn.

One more thing: I changed the signature, but not the avatar, because it's so vibrant... and full of life.

NightMistBlue
01-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Randy has spoken to the NY Daily News, saying among other things, "I couldn't believe he went so quick. When I heard yesterday, I started crying for a long time. You're like brothers in a band like that. Sometimes we got in arguments, but it was like a marriage, we all loved each other. I sure will miss the guy. He was really fun."

Whole article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/eagles-randy-meisner-shocked-glenn-frey-died-67-article-1.2502052?cid=bitly

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 05:41 PM
I broke down in class today. One of the students knew I was a fan (they have no idea how deep it goes because I don't talk about it) and asked "Did you hear about Glenn Frey?" My face crumpled up and the tears flowed. Luckily I got it under control after about a minute but today has been a hard, hard day for many of us.

This world will never be the same now that we have lost Glenn.

Jonny Come Lately
01-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Randy hit the nail on the head there I think, that's pretty similar to the thoughts that went through my mind when I first heard. Absolutely lovely to hear that from him so thanks for posting the link, NMB.

It is such a shame that Glenn was not able to receive the Kennedy Center Honors Award. My thoughts are with his family now and of course also with the current and former Eagles members.

Brooke
01-19-2016, 05:53 PM
I think I've just been kind of stunned by it all. I find tears in my eyes, but I try to ignore them. I'm so sorry Glenn went through such a bad time. And to find out, finally, that he didn't even have the surgery! I so wish they had let us know SOMETHING! It's such a shock. We all thought that no news was good news and that wasn't correct at all! He was very sick and ill all this time! I still wonder how they kept it all so very quiet. It's awful that he got so sick so quickly.

And now, the honors event. They wanted to wait til he recovered so they all could be there. He won't be there.

Oh Glenn, we will all miss you so much. Gone way too young. RIP and thank you so much for being a part of the soundtrack of my life. Your music lives on.

ETA: Great to hear from Randy too.

TimothyBFan
01-19-2016, 06:16 PM
I was on the couch and I got an alert that my site had crashed, but it was different this time. It hadn't crashed because of my lame server, but because Glenn Frey Online suddenly had literally thousands, then hundreds of thousands, then millions of hits. I was getting on the phone to the webhost when I got a text from Willie - then a flood more. So awful, so awful, but so good to come here and get comfort.

You were the first person I thought of.

I had just got done working and was home alone when I had a notification I had been tagged in FB. Brought it up and when I saw what it was, I started shaking and sank into a chair. My first thought was that it was a hoax and I had to Google it. At that point there wasn't much other than the link I had been tagged in. So I attempted to bring up The Border but it wouldn't come up. That's when I sent Nancy the text, but by your response, I wasn't sure if you had heard yet and that really worried me. I'm sorry about that.

When hubby walked in the door 10 minutes later & saw me, he asked what was wrong. When I told him, he just looked at me then said he needed to sit down for a minute and process that. I've made them such a huge part of our lives the last 29 years, he's feeling the loss also.

It's still very overwhelming and I'm not even sure I've completely processed it all yet. Like Dreamer said, I've lost my Mom, my Dad & my brother just a few months ago and this feels as if I've kind of lost another family member. I feel funny saying that to others but I know you all understand.

Even tho I haven't posted up till yesterday for a very long time, I do check in periodically and feel a real kinship with so many of you. I knew that this is where I needed to come once it started sinking in. Again, like I said yesterday, I'm keeping many of you in my thoughts because I know how this must be so hard for you. Nancy, Julie, Kay, Verna, Lisa, Monique, Brooke and several others-- if you just need an ear to listen to, I'm only a IM or FB message away.

SilverAcidRayne
01-19-2016, 06:17 PM
I've always loved their music. and I became a huge fan just recently. I tried to listen to my Eagles Spotify playlist and I couldn't. Felder has posted some pics. it's like i'm trying to not believe its true. but it's truly a stab in the heart. I will miss him terribly.

luvthelighthouse
01-19-2016, 06:22 PM
You were the first person I thought of.

My first thought was that it was a hoax and I had to Google it.

Same exact thoughts. My husband said, "Glenn Frey died". No way, this is a hoax, or so I had hoped. :sad:

MaryCalifornia
01-19-2016, 06:32 PM
David Bowie got a dedicated limited engagement Sirius channel last week (30, the Loft), well deserved. I really hope they do something for Glenn this week. I want to write in to request it

zeldabjr
01-19-2016, 06:33 PM
My first thought was of Cindy and the kids...then I thought...the Eagles are no more...they now live only in my memory and my heart...I'm having a hard time looking at all the tributes on social media...too painful...I start crying...still don't want to believe it's true...

PS...Thanks for the Birthday wishes yesterday...I think I might change my birthdate from now on...lol

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 06:38 PM
- we will never hear him sing again. There will be no more photos of him.

Reading this part of your post has made me realize that it definitely is real. :weep:. All day I've had the thoughts of "I just dreamed it".

I'm trying to go about my normal life, but it's very hard. Trying to keep my anguish to myself and within myself.

As I said last night, my heart goes out to Glenn's family and friends, and us fans.

Keith
01-19-2016, 06:43 PM
A dear friend sent me the sweetest message: "May he forever soar."

Toonlass
01-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I wanted to come stop by with you all. I'm utterly devastated by the news of Glenn's passing. I had a news alert yesterday on my phone and rang my sister straightaway. Then contacted my Mum. Then thought of all the wonderful friends I've made because of Eagles music. I feel bereft. Not least because it's coming up to a year since we lost my Dad who was a major musical influence. In fact the first Eagles show I saw (at Twickenham) was with my parents (though we were all doted about the first four rows depending on whom we wanted to be close to).

Sending my love and condolences to all xx

timfan
01-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Beautiful tribute to Glenn from Keith Urban with a short cover of TIE

https://www.facebook.com/keithurban/videos/10153649981506077/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video

jms18222
01-19-2016, 07:12 PM
My first thought was of Cindy and the kids...then I thought...the Eagles are no more...they now live only in my memory and my heart...I'm having a hard time looking at all the tributes on social media...too painful...I start crying...still don't want to believe it's true...

PS...Thanks for the Birthday wishes yesterday...I think I might change my birthdate from now on...lol

I know how you feel. Yesterday was my birthday too.

It was interesting to hear the new tour would have been called Pigs Are Gonna Fly and that Randy was going to attend the Kennedy Centre Honors.

ESPN is doing a tribute to Glenn then I am going to re-watch History again.

Pete Blundell
01-19-2016, 07:13 PM
This has upset me so much - I have found myself playing one of my favourite solo tracks by Glenn all day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sMIPGHNyNs

DivineDon
01-19-2016, 07:39 PM
I'm still numb. I can't believe we'll never hear those amazing harmonies again :weep:
I feel so sorry for you guys who particularly loved Glenn - I know how hard it is cos I feel the same about Don. I keep thinking about him and the other guys but Don was there with Glenn from the start. ..it's devastating.

We need The Border to keep us going - I couldn't get on all day and felt bereft
Rita Wilson posted a lovely tweet in tribute to Glenn - 'It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you. ' sweet :smile:

Houston Debutante
01-19-2016, 07:42 PM
This is so awful, Glenn dead, the Eagles done forever, I can't believe it's happening. I didn't even know he was sick!

So shocked and sad. I don't know what to say except this all feels so wrong.

RIP Glenn.

deb828
01-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Thank you all for being here to share the sadness over the loss of Glenn and the end of the Eagles. Thank you, Soda, for creating this place for us to share happier memories, and excitement for upcoming shows, etc. It is hard to believe Glenn is gone, but it is sad to know he was in pain for so long, and hospitalized for such a long time at the end of his life. We did get a very long farewell tour, though we did not know it, and it was a wonderful gift from Glenn and the rest of the Eagles. Regardless, it isn't any easier to accept the sad news.

GlennLover
01-19-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm sitting here reading this thread from start to finish with tears streaming down my face while the muscles in my throat tighten with a terrible ache & I can hardly breath. I'm still hoping that this is a hoax, but I know it's all to true! :weep::weep::weep:

I didn't find out until late last evening when I was getting into bed & decided to take a quick look at my emails before I went to sleep. I read a Google alert & it felt like my heart stopped abruptly. Of course, as with many others, the first thought that came to mind was that it was a hoax, but that email contained probably 7 or 8 different alerts, including the official statement that was posted on the Eagles' website. I immediately tried to get on The Border & I wasn't able to get on until today. I then tried Facebook & first saw posts from Nancy & Julie. I spent the night reading posts & sobbing in disbelief.

My first thoughts were of Cindy, Taylor, Deacon, Otis & Eddie. Those thoughts quickly included Don, Joe & Timothy & my fellow Borderers, especially Nancy (who created these sites) & Julie & Kay who have been here since the beginning, Lisa, HH, GH,VA & all the other Borderers. I can't imagine what Glenn's family & the other Eagles are going through. I know what The Borderers are going through.

GH, I too had a bad feeling deep down, that I tried not to let surface, that there was bad news coming.

Nancy, I do truly believe that your dream was a message from God.

I apologize for rambling on. Writing this down is just one way in which I am trying to cope with this loss. Now I'm starting to shake.

My sincere condolences to the many people (including me) who love Glenn. :weep::weep::weep::weep:

Shadowland07
01-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Don't really know what to say except my condolences to everyone. Glenn was my favorite member, he was the essence of cool. I cannot recollect the countless times I have tried to sound like Glenn as I sang along to the Eagles in my car. I hit me today that because of Glenn's passing, the Eagles are no more. Or at least, no real "reunions" because it wouldn't be the same without Glenn; like McCartney, Harrison, and Starr said that it wouldn't be the same without John.

One thing that has sort of rubbed me the wrong way, and I am not trying to start anything or put everyone down, is the way people have been reacting to Felder's post. Saying that he is classy and his post is a class act, did they not expect him to say something about Glenn's death? It's really frustrating how people are commenting negative things about Frey and how Felder has taken the high road by reacting to Glenn's passing or how maybe now Henley can forgive Felder and bring him back into the group. I've tried to not respond or say anything to the commenters but I figured I could vent in safety here.

RIP Glenn, you will be sorely missed.

tjh532
01-19-2016, 08:32 PM
So sad, just shocking really. I tried several times to get here, but of course the site crashed. What a terrible loss....

Glenn will live on with us the way he has always lived with us - though his music. We will never really lose him.

Rest in peace.

GlennLover
01-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Don't really know what to say except my condolences to everyone. Glenn was my favorite member, he was the essence of cool. I cannot recollect the countless times I have tried to sound like Glenn as I sang along to the Eagles in my car. I hit me today that because of Glenn's passing, the Eagles are no more. Or at least, no real "reunions" because it wouldn't be the same without Glenn; like McCartney, Harrison, and Starr said that it wouldn't be the same without John.

One thing that has sort of rubbed me the wrong way, and I am not trying to start anything or put everyone down, is the way people have been reacting to Felder's post. Saying that he is classy and his post is a class act, did they not expect him to say something about Glenn's death? It's really frustrating how people are commenting negative things about Frey and how Felder has taken the high road by reacting to Glenn's passing or how maybe now Henley can forgive Felder and bring him back into the group. I've tried to not respond or say anything to the commenters but I figured I could vent in safety here.

I do feel, considering how Felder has bad mouthed Glenn in his book & in interviews that his statement was a little over the top, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is sincere.

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 08:33 PM
Here's a photo of a makeshift memorial at the famous corner in Winslow, Arizona.
http://rs1283.pbsrc.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/12400650_960440737337807_6692563150244029379_n_zps mqcabdy1.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

LuvTim
01-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Glenn will live on with us the way he has always lived with us - though his music. We will never really lose him.

So true, tjh, so very true. :heart:

DanMc
01-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the great songs Mr. Glenn Frey!!!

Topkat
01-19-2016, 08:49 PM
I wasn't even able to get on the website yesterday, I guess due to heavy traffic on here, but I was in total shock when I heard about Glenn. I have been upset & reflective ever since I heard the news.

My heart goes out to everyone on The Border, my Eagle friends, & most of all his family & the rest of the band.

Very sad news. I thought it would never end. I was waiting for the next tour, perhaps a new album, but it is not to be...
RIP Glenn Frey & thanks for all the wonderful music, concerts, memories, friendships & all you brought to those in your life. Heartbroken :heart:

Ohiocoach
01-19-2016, 08:54 PM
I continue to reflect on the last time I saw The Eagles. July 22, 2015. In seven days, it would all be over. I stood on the balcony of our hotel the morning after the concert, looking at the arena and thinking it was probably the last time I was going to see them, but also happy for Glenn that he was going home to Detroit the next evening.
This is all still so surreal. I haven't listened to music all day. I don't know when I will again. While the tributes to Glenn are so fitting and deserved, it hurt to listen to those on talk radio as well.
Appreciative of this forum and the ability to express my feelings.

WalshFan88
01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Guys, no offense, but of all time and places, I don't think this is the time or place to turn this into a Glenn vs Don F argument.

I felt Don's comment was genuine and I don't know why anyone wouldn't take it as such. Fact is - they had their disagreements but they had a lot of history together and to think that Don disliked Glenn enough to make up a false statement about Glenn's passing is wrong IMO. I also think the comments towards Frey by Felder's fanbase is childish, rude, and just plain wrong. Nor do I think Felder will ever be asked to rejoin any sort of band. Not only would Don Henley respect Glenn's wishes but he isn't much of a Felder fan himself.

So I didn't find Don F's comments over the top or fake. I saw them as a guy who put differences aside and remembered the good things about the man who started it all and the good memories they had together over the years. He even posted a collage of photos of them playing together. Don Felder may not be a perfect guy and has said a lot, but the last thing I'd ever think him to be was anything but genuine in what he says good or bad.

WalshFan88
01-19-2016, 09:08 PM
The Keith Urban tribute was amazing and made me tear up. The piano was a nice touch, very emotion-filled. KU is one of my top favorite artists and is a true class act.

Gene Simmons, like him or hate him or KISS, is NOT a bad guy. He may be all about money or business, but I have never heard him badmouth someone undeserving or not be anything but a stand up guy. I loved his comments about Glenn and I appreciate that he took the time to do that interview.

Today I'm very sad because of two reasons. The loss of a great musician, and the loss of one of the best bands of all time.

Glenn wasn't my favorite member but it's hit me as if he was. I may have said things against him at times but fact is he was the guy who put this band together and was the driving force. I respected Glenn, and I continue to view him as nothing but an icon and a inspiration to me.

The loss of the Eagles is very sad, and as I said before - I'm very glad to have seen them. I've heard some interviews today with people who said they wish they could have seen the band or had regrets about not seeing them when they had the chance. I feel lucky to have seen them twice and to witness their magic.

If I feel this way, I can only imagine what Glenn's biggest diehard fans feel, and my heart is with you during this time, and certainly his family members.

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 09:12 PM
I feel so lucky to have seen him as many times as I did. People would often kid me about how often I saw Glenn and the Eagles. I only wish it could have been more times.

I'm so glad I went to the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame ceremony and got to see him with Stevie. It was magic. I'm so glad I went to Pebble Beach, to Niagara Falls, to all of it. Some of the most memorable moments of my life were directly a result of Mr. Glenn Frey.

Gosh, to think I only saw Glenn a few months ago for the last time. He seemed so alive. I was positive he would be OK when I heard he had to go to the hospital. I prayed for him just in case, but in my heart I thought I would see him again.

It's very, very hard to come to terms with the fact that he is gone. Coming here and reading these tributes helps, though. It's good to see old faces coming back as well to pay tribute to Glenn.

I too can't listen to music - not just Glenn's music or Eagles music. I can't listen to any music. It's like the joy of music, for now, has been sucked away for me.

Oh, how I adored him! How I will miss him!

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Randy has spoken to the NY Daily News, saying among other things, "I couldn't believe he went so quick. When I heard yesterday, I started crying for a long time. You're like brothers in a band like that. Sometimes we got in arguments, but it was like a marriage, we all loved each other. I sure will miss the guy. He was really fun."

Whole article here: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/eagles-randy-meisner-shocked-glenn-frey-died-67-article-1.2502052?cid=bitly

Thanks for that link. I was especially moved by this:

"When Meisner suffered his own medical scare in 2013 and 2014, his Eagles bandmates helped him out financially, he said. 'I aspirated some food into my throat and choked,' he said. "I was in a coma for a little while, too. They paid for everything, me being in the hospital.'

and Randy was invited to the Kennedy Center Honors after all.

"I was going to go to the Kennedy awards and was thinking, 'Man this could be the last time we'll all be together.' Now that really hurts my heart that we couldn't be together one more time," Meisner told The News."

So many people made assumptions about Glenn, assuming the worst, accusing him of not caring about Randy. I hope now they see how wrong they were.

Ohiocoach
01-19-2016, 09:29 PM
My biggest gut-kick to this point was pretending that I could actually watch a little of HOTE today. Turned it on and off in less than a minute. However, it was the part where Gov. Jerry Brown was talking about the Eagles being "in the present." First time I watched it, I was so optimistic that the ride would go on for many years. How embarrassingly naive I was to think at the time "I just hope their voices hold up."

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 09:32 PM
So true Ohiocoach. I was so sure we would see them do a residency somewhere. 30 hours ago, my biggest worry was whether the setlist would be shortened to just the "Greatest Hits" or whether they'd keep some rarities in. Now, I'd give anything to just hear them sing live one more time...

Here is a collection of some celebrity tweets about Glenn:

http://q13fox.com/2016/01/19/tributes-pour-in-for-the-eagles-glenn-frey/

maryc2130
01-19-2016, 09:35 PM
I didn't find out until this morning. I went out to start my car to warm it up and defrost the windows, and I thought I heard the radio announcer say they'd be playing more Eagles and Glenn Frey songs in tribute. I came back in and googled Glenn Frey. I couldn't believe it. I still can't. Two local radio stations did hour-long tributes with Glenn Frey songs and some of Glenn's lead vocal Eagles songs tonight.

Just in the past few days, I started to really wonder if he wasn't more seriously ill than we originally thought. I think it was because Don H and Joe hadn't announced any more tour dates. Now I see they were doing it out of respect.

It's so very, very sad. I wasn't able to see the Eagles last summer, but in the pictures of the last concerts, he looked so young and vibrant. Way too young to die. I hope he didn't suffer.

My condolences go out to his family, band-mates, fellow Borderers and all the many, many people touched by his life and saddened by his death.

RIP, Glenn. Thanks for all the music that's helped get me through so much of my life. Your legacy will live for a long, long time. Life just won't be the same without you.

Prettymaid
01-19-2016, 09:35 PM
I wish more people would realize how selfless Glenn was in the Eagles - how he really cared about what he thought was good for the band. In the latter part of the 70's he sang less and less, gave one of his best guitar solos away, didn't push his ideas on the albums just because they were his. I don't think that's a very common quality in the human race. I don't have many Facebook friends, but I tried to do my share and say this about Glenn to those who care to read my posts. Having said that, I don't think Glenn minds too much even if people still don't realize this stuff. After all, he was a real team player.

I replied to a friend's Facebook post in almost the same way. I wanted people to know about Glenn's selflessness.

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 09:43 PM
From Jack Tempchin (https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/?fref=ts):
"Glenn Frey and I were friends for years before the Eagles. His music plan was simple: He was going to have a band with the best players in the world. And the best singers in the world. And the best songwriters and the best songs in the world. It would be the best in every way and soar high above all others.

Others wish and dream... But Glenn was always willing to do the work that makes dreams come true.

Glenn and I wrote songs together for fourteen years while the Eagles were apart. I will be singing those songs for the rest of my life and always be thinking of all the fun times we had writing them and living our dreams. And I will think of my great friend, a truly "stand up guy" who kept his promises to others and to himself, the strongest minded and the funniest person I ever knew. I will miss him everyday. Love you Glenn, Jack Tempchin "

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 09:45 PM
That's one thing that drew me to Glenn, his selflessness. While I was just discovering who he was in May of last year, I discovered all of the quotes from Glenn that Nancy has on GFO. His quotes on being charitable, family, and giving back really moved me. Then I discovered his selflessness within the band, putting the band's best interests ahead of his wants. Having read through most of the old threads about Glenn, I realized how much he actually did care for his fans, how grateful he was to have them throughout his career. Etc

travlnman2
01-19-2016, 09:46 PM
I replied to a friend's Facebook post in almost the same way. I wanted people to know about Glenn's selflessness.
I have something to say. I used to be pissed about what happened between Felder and Glenn and how Glenn was rude to be nice way about it but now that he is gone it just shocked me harder then ever. It felt like a family member passing away.I sent this to Felder through a pm on facebook. I said Don I am so sorry and heartbroken over the passing of your friend and bandmate Glenn Frey no matter the bad blood the arguments no matter the feuds you two along with Henley, Joe, Randy, Bernie and Timothy experienced something only a handful of us will ever experience you 7 guys have brought joy to millions of people around the world through your music and I truly and deeply hope that you can unite as one and honor this man who inspired millions of young musicians and Glenn would have the brightest smile on his face to see ALL of his bandmates and fans pay tribute to him I hope you are doing well and I wrote the wasted time lyrics.

Roey
01-19-2016, 09:46 PM
I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. I sat in the 2nd row at my last Eagles concert in July 2015. Glenn had a bit of a cold but he was energetic and really seemed to be enjoying himself. It is surreal that 6 months later he is gone. Very very sad....my heart truly aches.

There is a lot to be said about Glenn and his massive contributions to music and its' impact on the lives of so many of us.For now I will just say my thoughts and prayers go to his family,band mates and those of you here that consider him family, especially to Soda, Freypower and Already Gone.

ktdids
01-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Channel surfing and the documentary is playing on one of the Showtime channels instead of regular scheduled program. May be something they're going to be doing for a little while.

sad-cafe
01-19-2016, 09:56 PM
I couldn't sleep last night - I was just too sad. I cried a lot yesterday. My husband said "its just a band, not like its family" I cried even harder.

I think I dozed a little bit. I have the Farewell tour on my tablet and I played it really low on my side of the bed.

I just can not believe it.

I wore my HOTE t-shirt today to school as a tribute. Even my students who have been with me since August told me they were sorry.

One of my co-teachers asked me at lunch if I thought the band would go on without him and I said no, this was Glenn's band. It's over.

My local classic rock radio station played Eagles and Glenn's songs all day long.

The DJ said something like when these bands come to ICT you MUST go because you never know if it is the last time.

Oh So True

Then the DJ reminded us that Doobie Brothers are going to be here in May (along with Journey and Dave Mason)

He said if you haven't gotten your tickets you better get them.

Eagles came in 2013 and we had no idea it would be the last time.

I am still just so heartbroken and still crying. :weep:

I can only imagine how Don, Timothy B, and Joe are feeling.

And to think he was the youngest one :(

shunlvswx
01-19-2016, 09:58 PM
I started to cry when my local radio station played Hotel California hours after I found out.

Then I heard the Long Run on my way to work this morning. I turned up the volume and started to sing while I was starting to cry. My mind went back to seeing Don going over to Glenn during the lines "Well, we're scared, but we ain't shaking. Kinda bent, but we ain't breakin'. Glenn would sometimes shake and then he would bend. Then the news reader of the station talked about Glenn's death.

Then two of my local radio station played their songs at the same time. It was Take it Easy and Lyin' Eyes (and it wasn't the edited version). I started to cry while singing. Both stations said they were going to play Eagles songs throughout the afternoon.

He was a wonderful man and a great singer. I am kicking myself for not seeing them. I said to myself, "when Glenn gets better and they decided to tour again, I would try my best to see them." I hate that's not going to happen now.

sad-cafe
01-19-2016, 10:03 PM
this is extra sad for me because I suffer from Crohn's it's cousin is Colitis. I take "chemo" infusions ever 5 weeks.

Makes me wonder what the infusions are doing to my body

I had my last infusion on the 8th. They zap my immune system and 4 days later I had major double ear infections.

I know how fast infection can spread.

I can only imagine the trauma Glenn went through. Intestine issues are so freaking painful that sometimes you think you are going to die. Well-he did :weep:

AftertheThrill
01-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Everytime I hear Desperado I think back to the concert in St. Louis in 2013. That was the last time I saw the Eagles and Glenn. I remember thinking at the time that this could be the last time but I thought it would be the last time because they decided on their own terms that it was over. Even with Glenn's health issues I never thought he would have been the first to go.

I'm very thankful for the internet community even though I don't spend much time here. My husband as been less then helpful with the situation and having people across the world is helping me a lot. I just feel like a part of me died. I always liked the Eagles but when they got back together they became a major part of my life, they were there when no one else was, and now it's over.

Tori
01-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Just a side note that I've been thinking of on and off today. People might tell you things like "It's not like it's a family member!" or "He's just a singer". Don't take that from anyone. He was a beloved person in all of our lives and our grief is in no way undermined by the fact that we didn't know him personally. His music has had a great impact on all of our lives, and your anguish is real. Cry all you need to and grieve in your own way; God knows I have.

I've been listening to Eagles music all day. I wish so badly that they would've gotten together once more and done Farewell 2, and I could've made my concert number a nice round five. It's incredibly saddening that it will not happen now. :( However, I'm glad that my last time seeing them live was from 13 rows back, and that Glenn and Don saw my sister and I waving and sending our love. That memory will be with me forever.

Ohiocoach
01-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Well said, Tori.

Pink Champagne
01-19-2016, 10:50 PM
My husband texted me yesterday when the news broke. As with many of you, I have no words to describe how I felt. My first reaction was to try to get on this board. It was the weirdest feeling to not be able to get on....like the end of the world or something. While I may not say much, I read a lot of the posts and feel like I know many of you through your words and all things Eagles, especially Glenn. I needed to be here where I knew I would not be alone in how I felt. As I am reading through your posts, I can't say that I feel better but I don't feel alone. Great job, Soda, in creating the place where we can all come together to grieve.

This is so devastating that even today I have no words to describe this feeling. I can't even imagine what his family is going through. I have read several articles where it was stated how much Glenn loved his wife and children. I pray that they will always feel that love and somehow gain comfort from it.

sodascouts
01-19-2016, 11:28 PM
As much as my heart aches, I know it is nothing compared to what his family must be feeling. I've been praying for his father, his brothers, his wife, his children, his close friends.

I hope he knew just how much we loved him, and I too hope that love pouring out from around the world gives his family some comfort.

I agree with Tori that we should feel no shame in our grief. Maybe other people don't understand because they don't connect as deeply as we do. That's their loss. The deep connection I felt with Glenn's music and with Glenn enriched my life incredibly. I'm sorry that those people will never experience that.

It's all for you, Glenn.

Elizasong
01-19-2016, 11:48 PM
I have to say I don't sign on to this site to post very often but I always like to check in to see what articles, concerts, games etc. that you have going on for the Eagles.

I was a child in 70's and I remember hearing all the Eagles music on the radio. My particular favorite and one I have a vivid memory of is New Kid In Town. I remember sitting in the back seat of my Mom's Rambler hearing that on the radio. Just recently I discovered that one of my Mom's favorite bands is The Eagles. We spent a lengthy car ride last year to my sister's listening to their greatest hits.

When I heard a documentary was coming out I figured I'd buy a book to read up on them. I chose Felders book but not knowing anything about the band at all. It didn't jade my opinion of Glenn or Don. Once I saw the doc I needed all the info I could find on the Eagles and stumbled upon this web site.

My vague knowledge before that I thought Timothy B. Schmidt was a founding member!! Imagine my surprise. I knew Glenn Frey from his 80's solo hits but never associated him with The Eagles back then. Since my new thirst for knowledge of the Eagles Glenn has come to be my favorite band member. No offense to the other band members.

I was driving in my car and Smugglers Blues came on. I usually don't care to listen to that song but something made me keep it on. Right after the song ended the DJ announced Glenn's passing. I was in shock! When they mentioned lengthy recovery I was thinking maybe he had cancer and maybe he could beat it. I feel so bad.

THANK YOU for creating this site and allowing all large and small Eagles fans to converse and unfortunately this week comfort each other in our time of mourning.

I read something on Facebook recently right after Bowie died.

Why we grieve for artists we never met. We don't cry because we knew them. We cry because they helped us know ourselves.

Always and forever an Eagles fan

AlreadyGone95
01-19-2016, 11:51 PM
:applause: amen, Soda!

The Winslow memorial is growing. I hope that wherever Glenn is now, he can see it and know how much he meant (and still means) to his fans.
http://rs1283.pbsrc.com/albums/a552/kim_dixon2/Mobile%20Uploads/CZIRGE9UsAEVU9Q_zpsudqikzdt.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Windeagle
01-20-2016, 12:08 AM
Thankfully, my husband and daughter handled my tears pretty well yesterday. My daughter and her boyfriend were on their way out to eat and asked if my husband and I would like to go along to help me feel better. We did, and I ordered a tequila sunrise in Glenn's honor. My daughter's boyfriend even suggested I get a second so it could be "another tequila sunrise." I didn't, but I loved him for the thought.

This morning, as I was driving to work in my non-dress-code Hotel California t-shirt, I came around a corner into a brilliant, cloud-streaked sunrise with Tequila Sunrise playing in tribute on the radio. The moment made me smile.

I hope you all can reach a point of smiling through your tears and I wish peace to each of you here. I'm so thankful we have each other to share this with.

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 12:50 AM
I just happened to notice Glenn's birthday thread from last year. All of us saying that we wish Glenn a speedy recovery and the best, and that we hoped to see him rocking again soon. Ouch. To now know what he was actually going through during that time hurts like I don't know what. At that time, we all assumed that Glenn would have the surgery and be back in action sometime soon. I'm not gonna hold back these tears. :weep:

Victim of Love
01-20-2016, 12:56 AM
This morning, as I was driving to work in my non-dress-code Hotel California t-shirt, I came around a corner into a brilliant, cloud-streaked sunrise with Tequila Sunrise playing in tribute on the radio. The moment made me smile.

Hold on tight to that experience, Windeagle. Maybe it's Glenn's way of saying he's waiting for all of us to arrive for his debut in that vast arena in the sky.

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 12:57 AM
As much as my heart aches, I know it is nothing compared to what his family must be feeling. I've been praying for his father, his brothers, his wife, his children, his close friends.

I hope he knew just how much we loved him, and I too hope that love pouring out from around the world gives his family some comfort.

I agree with Tori that we should feel no shame in our grief. Maybe other people don't understand because they don't connect as deeply as we do. That's their loss. The deep connection I felt with Glenn's music and with Glenn enriched my life incredibly. I'm sorry that those people will never experience that.

It's all for you, Glenn.

I almost forgot about Mr. Frey. I know this has to be really hard on him. He lost his wife almost 2 years ago and now Glenn. Its always hard on a parent to see their children go before them.

I had to do a post on my facebook page. I wasn't going to apologize for posting about Glenn non stop today and probably for a while. A lot of my friends were very supportive. When they first heard about Glenn, they thought of me. I did have somebody unfriend me. I have no idea who it was, but I didn't care. I guess they were sick and tired of seeing my post on Glenn. Like I said in my post on facebook. I've never complain about any of them posting about food, pets, other people or family pictures. Never complain.

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 01:23 AM
I've posted or shared 19 different things about Glenn on Facebook. After about the 6th one, I said something like "sorry if I'm going overboard, but this has hit me hard". My friends understand, for the most part.

I also forgot about Glenn's dad. I can't imagine what he's going through. :(

randysgirl
01-20-2016, 01:53 AM
I haven't been on here in awhile but just had to say how sad and sorry about Glenn. Really unbelievable. The Eagles were the soundtrack of many of our lives. Now we are missing one who is gone far too soon. I was in shock yesterday as most of you were. Glenn will be missed but the great legacy of the Eagles and his music lives on. Prayers for his family.

MaryCalifornia
01-20-2016, 01:55 AM
I just don't understand how it could have gone so bad between July and October/November. Glenn must not have been feeling well on tour - poor baby, and everyone kept commenting how he had a cold!! I think he probably sacrificed his health for the 2nd year of the HOTE tour.

Koala
01-20-2016, 01:56 AM
Yesterday When I heard of Glenns dead I was shocked!I just got up, I found out it by an email from a friend from the Border.I could not / wanted to believe it! However, I have not cryed, I felt empty the whole day! Don't know like I should better describe it.

EaglesKiwi
01-20-2016, 03:11 AM
Any word from Felder yet? Nothing on his twitter.
Yes, he has posted on his Facebook page which linked through to the Eagles page (sorry I can't remember how to post the link!).

I thought it was quite a gracious and appropriate message.

OutlawManNJ
01-20-2016, 03:22 AM
Is it just me or does this article indicate that he was in a coma for more than a month and that the doctors gave up about a month ago? http://pagesix.com/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-had-been-hospitalized-since-november-says-bob-seger/

EaglesKiwi
01-20-2016, 03:24 AM
I have been trying to post since yesterday afternoon (NZ time). I have been thinking about all my Border friends, & sending you all my love & prayers (as well as Glenn's family & his band mates.

We have a place to share our heartbreak & our happy memories, along with people who actually understand just how much we love this music & this man. Thank you Nancy for creating this site; that so many of us have spent so much time talking about the Eagles & their music over the years is a tribute to Glenn's vision, talent & sheer hard work (and the whole band, of course).

I will treasure my concert memories; to be able to share a concert with my daughter (now 10) was a privilege & I am so grateful the band made the long trek down to New Zealand last year.

Ave atque Vale, Glenn.

tjh532
01-20-2016, 03:25 AM
Why we grieve for artists we never met. We don't cry because we knew them. We cry because they helped us know ourselves.

Beautiful - and so true!

WalshFan88
01-20-2016, 03:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6sC66RNK68

Bruce Springsteen played TIE at his show tonight in Chicago.

The sea of lights and people singing along...

OutlawManNJ
01-20-2016, 03:59 AM
Very nice of The Boss.... Stephen Colbert on the Late Show CBS also paid homage to Glenn tonight.
PS: I just noticed on youtube he had done TIE in September when he made a guest appearence in a Jackson Brown show in Red Bank NJ.

chaim
01-20-2016, 04:08 AM

This bothers me too (not Don't post, but the comments). I just posted about in the Don Felder section about this, because I don't want to ruin a beautiful Glenn thread.

EaglesKiwi
01-20-2016, 04:15 AM
Is it just me or does this article indicate that he was in a coma for more than a month and that the doctors gave up about a month ago? http://pagesix.com/2016/01/19/glenn-frey-had-been-hospitalized-since-november-says-bob-seger/

From what I read in that article, I would interpret that as he spent some of that time awake, but would (gradually?) struggle more with his breathing.

It does sound like he had the best care possible.

chaim
01-20-2016, 04:45 AM
I loved Bruce's version! It works that way too - slower. Usually I don't like melody variations, but I loved some of his there. Sort of made it sound like his song.

There are certain things I'd like to say at this point:

Like was pointed out before, it's wonderful how occasional posters have "come out of the woodwork". Nice to see you all!

I wish very much strength to all of you who have similar illnesses. Let it never take over your lives - especially your spiritual strength!

It was very sad to read Seger's (I believe it was Seger) words about the specialists finally throwing their hands in the air a month ago. Sad, because Glenn and his loved ones knew at that point what was going to happen. :weep:

UndertheWire
01-20-2016, 06:38 AM
Before Monday, what I wanted to hear was stories about Glenn from the people who knew him and that still holds true. I'm sure everyone has checked the Facebook posts by Jack Tempchin, JD Souther and Henry Diltz and Henry mentioned David Spero (Joe's former manager).
https://www.facebook.com/david.spero.9?hc_location=ufi
It doesn't just have stories from Spero - other people have used it as a place to tell their own stories of Glenn.

OntheBorder74
01-20-2016, 07:20 AM
I think it's natural for all of to be hit hard by this, Glenn wasnt that old and he had these problems before, I also don't think he looked that bad. Its crazy stars of the 70s are dying while a lot of 60s artists who look in worse shape are still around. It's a tragic loss, I saw the news pop up on the sidebar of an article while I was researching Dale Griffin's death, actually had just written a blogpost about how this awful week had come to a close with Griffins' death when I got the news,like everyone i laughed in disbelief for a brief second but then immediately knew this wasnt a hoax.

I've been in a funk since it began, Glenn was my hero i listen to home everyday and that included Monday before I got the news. Been listening to his solo songs alot remembering how underrated song like lovers moon and i got love were. In England there arent as many irbutes or artcles as Bowies but I have a read a whole host of new quotes I never knew existed that he had said. I also recommend the detailed article on his Detroit days it's nice to know all these years what his background was as I always felt he wasnt an open book like Henley.

It still hasnt set in, probably because last week when Bowie died and my Dad sent me a email detailing his fond memories of Bowie I actually thought of glenn, my musical hero and how hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that too soon. I can't believe the unbelievable odds that a week later what I feared most would come true and still walking around in a form of shock.

I'll heal through his music and the tributes and the great community here on the Border. So Thank you lot

My Glenn quote would be the line from New Kid in Town

'I Don't Want to Hear It'

Thirsty&Hot
01-20-2016, 07:28 AM
I haven't been very active here lately...tried to come on Monday, but the site wasn't working at that point. But you guys are one of the first I thought of after Glenn and his family. :heart:

I am also a Bowie fan, so I was (am) still reeling from his loss when I heard about Glenn and I immediately burst into full on sobbing tears for a good long while and periodically on and off. I just can't handle all of these deaths. I've been fortunate thus far not to lose anyone close to me yet, but I don't know how I will be able to handle it when I do if I am having a hard time with this.
I knew Glenn was sick and had been very worried since seeing a cryptic post on Deacon's Instagram 6 weeks ago (I am friends with him and Otis on there), but I was hoping that my fears would be unfounded and that he was going to pull through. I was still completely stunned when I heard. My heart hurts.
He had seemed so healthy and lively. So much passion and zest for life, music and family. So did David Bowie...right up til the end. Death is so cruel. It felt like these guys were going to LIVE FOREVER. In a way, they will...:grooving:

I've just finished reading all of your sad, but lovely posts. Tears are streaming down my face. I can't sleep...have an Eagles dvd on in the background.

Like some have said, I'm not going to apologize for posting a lot of tributes on my facebook/instagram/twitter... this is my way of coping. If I lose "friends" then they weren't really friends.

Glenn is what brought me here to meet all of you lovely people. The Eagles really were part of the soundtrack of my life. Without Glenn, there is no more Eagles. This is the end of an era. I wanna put everyone else in a protective bubble! I don't know how much more we can take.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/E6F13CDB-E884-44EA-B509-7004FB180842_zpsnyj523l4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/E6F13CDB-E884-44EA-B509-7004FB180842_zpsnyj523l4.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/57C47EC8-A02D-495C-A96C-F7F9B70D7823_zps7zhgk96h.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/57C47EC8-A02D-495C-A96C-F7F9B70D7823_zps7zhgk96h.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/B239A31D-C4F7-490D-9C12-2CFE0618EEB9_zps82tefgkr.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/B239A31D-C4F7-490D-9C12-2CFE0618EEB9_zps82tefgkr.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/C404A4AE-8445-4683-9F76-93F6EB0C1893.png_zpstqrifer7.jpeg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/C404A4AE-8445-4683-9F76-93F6EB0C1893.png_zpstqrifer7.jpeg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/7DB118C7-2D84-40A7-B808-3BF5D526FB8C_zpsioolyawe.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/7DB118C7-2D84-40A7-B808-3BF5D526FB8C_zpsioolyawe.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/544076C4-C288-4CE9-B16D-BB32B9E473F7_zpstraym42j.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/544076C4-C288-4CE9-B16D-BB32B9E473F7_zpstraym42j.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/236DA48C-F387-47C6-B031-D2464EDB4FE7_zpsm15m0ucx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/236DA48C-F387-47C6-B031-D2464EDB4FE7_zpsm15m0ucx.jpg.html)

Thirsty&Hot
01-20-2016, 07:34 AM
I think it's natural for all of to be hit hard by this, Glenn wasnt that old and he had these problems before, I also don't think he looked that bad. Its crazy stars of the 70s are dying while a lot of 60s artists who look in worse shape are still around. It's a tragic loss, I saw the news pop up on the sidebar of an article while I was researching Dale Griffin's death, actually had just written a blogpost about how this awful week had come to a close with Griffins' death when I got the news,like everyone i laughed in disbelief for a brief second but then immediately knew this wasnt a hoax.

I've been in a funk since it began, Glenn was my hero i listen to home everyday and that included Monday before I got the news. Been listening to his solo songs alot remembering how underrated song like lovers moon and i got love were. In England there arent as many irbutes or artcles as Bowies but I have a read a whole host of new quotes I never knew existed that he had said. I also recommend the detailed article on his Detroit days it's nice to know all these years what his background was as I always felt he wasnt an open book like Henley.

It still hasnt set in, probably because last week when Bowie died and my Dad sent me a email detailing his fond memories of Bowie I actually thought of glenn, my musical hero and how hopefully I wouldn't have to deal with that too soon. I can't believe the unbelievable odds that a week later what I feared most would come true and still walking around in a form of shock.

I'll heal through his music and the tributes and the great community here on the Border. So Thank you lot

My Glenn quote would be the line from New Kid in Town

'I Don't Want to Hear It'

I have been thinking the same thing! about how people who seem to be in worse shape are not the ones dying. not that I want anyone to die!

And yeah I was also hit hard by Bowie's death, and I thought to myself..."Glenn, please please please don't be next" ...knowing that Glenn was sick and having been worried about him... ugh... it's all so overwhelming and makes me feel sick.

secret squirrel
01-20-2016, 07:39 AM
Having had a night here (in NYC coincidentally) to reflect on the passing of Glenn Frey, my musical role model, and fielding the various texts, notes, and calls from shocked and saddened friends, I feel infinite loss and sadness but also tremendous gratitude.

The Eagles were the defining group of my youth, when my musical sensibilities were developing. Glenn Frey's cool, relaxed, semi-country way of singing those wonderfully accessible melodies and themes combined with the unbeatable harmonies just grabbed ahold of me and became the sound track of my life. I remember copying his lead to Witchy Woman note for note as maybe the first guitar lead I ever played.

I have played the Eagles' songs throughout the years in so many places and variations I can't even remember, and of course most special in the last 6 years as part of the Alter Eagles.

Having had the honor of paying tribute to Glenn Frey and the music of the Eagles all these years, how can I feel anything other than intense gratitude to him for what his contribution has meant in my life and those of my bandmates? What a sad loss and way, way too soon.

RIP, prayers and Godspeed Glenn Frey. Thank you for all you gave us and for inspiring so many, including a 12 year old boy in Ruskin, Florida trying to find his own voice

Thanks for your tribute. Will catch up with next time you come to the Beaverwood. Perhaps you could play 'Hole in the World' for Glenn. I wanted to post that here but not available on YT.

As predicted, broke down when I had to tell my Dad - Glenn was always his favourite.

SS
xx

DivineDon
01-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Don't know what to say, T&H except that your tribute above was really lovely. :applause:

secret squirrel
01-20-2016, 07:54 AM
I am also a Bowie fan, so I was (am) still reeling from his loss when I heard about Glenn and I immediately burst into full on sobbing tears for a good long while and periodically on and off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/236DA48C-F387-47C6-B031-D2464EDB4FE7_zpsm15m0ucx.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/236DA48C-F387-47C6-B031-D2464EDB4FE7_zpsm15m0ucx.jpg.html)

Thanks for those thoughts, T&H & particularly that last image. Beautiful.

Also a Bowie fan and used to work in Beckenham/Bromley where he lived.

SS
xx

NYC Fan
01-20-2016, 08:59 AM
It has been such a comfort reading everyone's beautiful thoughts and tributes to Glenn. Thank you all.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one feeling this grief, and then somehow feeling silly for all these tears. I didn't know him, so why should I feel this way? But you are all right. I won't feel silly for, or ashamed of, feeling this immense sadness.

The Eagles came into my life 40 years ago, as a 12 year old girl. Their music has been there to give me solace in tough times, and much joy in others. I won't apologize for feeling this grief, and my friends, who know how much their music means to me, have been very supportive and have lent a sympathetic ear.

Besides the shows I was lucky enough to see on the last tour, one of my fondest recent memories is from last year. I went to Hawaii for work, and on the way back, spent 3 nights in the Joshua Tree area with a friend. The last day, we went looking for the spot where they took the cover photos for the first album. I don't think we ever found it, but it was a 72 degree day in early November, and there we were, driving through Joshua Tree, with Take it Easy blasting from the car stereo, singing at the top of our lungs. I smile every time I think of that day.

I went to a concert last night with a friend. I really didn't want to go, but knew somehow that music would make me feel better. And it did. It made me feel alive and happy. Then we came back and periscoped the end of the Springsteen concert in Chicago, because I thought he might play a song for Glenn. When he played that lovely solo version of Take it Easy, the tears came all over again. Two of my musical icons brought together in a beautiful, impossibly sweet and sad moment. All I could think of when everyone held up their phones was "with a billion stars all around". I'd like to think Glenn would have enjoyed that moment.

Sorry to go on, but it is nice to have a place to share all these emotions, with people who really understand, and are feeling them too. My heart goes out to all of you, especially Nancy and all of you who I know loved Glenn so much.

Bless you Glenn. You brought so much light and joy into all of our lives. You will be sorely missed, but always remembered and held in our hearts.

UndertheWire
01-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Starting tonight, Tavis Smiley has a two-part tribute to Glenn. It may just be a repeat of his 2012 interview.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/glenn-frey-tribute-part-1/

Toonlass
01-20-2016, 09:36 AM
After reading several harsh criticisms and comments and chatting with my sister I posted this on Facebook (strong language).

The last few weeks have brought the loss of several creative heroes to many. But in amongst the tributes and obituaries you find the stinging articles, the vitriolic tweets, the harsh criticisms from people who have nothing better to do with their time then be negative and make other people feel negative. If you don't like a band, singer, actor etc move on and find one you do. Constantly being negative does not make for a happy soul. These people who feel they have to share their negative opinions piss me off. Yeah, there are plenty of creative folk I don't like. Do I actively search out things to comment on? No. Do I make sure I share my negativity with random strangers who get joy from their work? No. Will I chat shit down the pub with mates? Yes, because that's where those conversations belong. I'm fed up of negativity. If the losses I have experienced have taught me anything it is that life is too short to be a miserable fuck.

Prettymaid
01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Every second thought in my head is, 'Glenn's dead.' It's like I have to keep reminding myself of it. I still can't quite believe it.

For those who say they're surprised by their own grief - after all, they didn't even know him, it just goes to show you the power of music. Music can seep into our souls until it becomes part of us - part of our memories, part of our dreams, part of our entire lives. Glenn's music, the Eagles music, was that powerful. Some here say the music got them through some bad times in their lives, and all of us have good memories of listening to the Eagles. That's the good part of this. The music will always live on.

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 09:54 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/57C47EC8-A02D-495C-A96C-F7F9B70D7823_zps7zhgk96h.jpg

T&H, all the photos that you posted are beautiful, but this one sums it for me. (I hope that you don't mind, but I shared it and the collage of Glenn on Facebook) As teen, music was sometimes my only friend and companion. There have been a half dozen musicians who I've "felt" a close bond with, and Glenn is one of them. He's the first one of the close few to die (god, it doesn't seem right to type that word). This is the first time that I've experienced this. I'm still having a hard time sleeping. I don't want to take my Glenn posters down, but seeing them hurts alot.

deb828
01-20-2016, 10:54 AM
I just don't understand how it could have gone so bad between July and October/November. Glenn must not have been feeling well on tour - poor baby, and everyone kept commenting how he had a cold!! I think he probably sacrificed his health for the 2nd year of the HOTE tour.

Agree with you (though we cannot know)--I think he gave an enormous gift by finishing the tour if he wasn't feeling well, as seems likely to me. What a guy.

T&H--loved your pictures and quotes--what a nice tribute to see.

Hadn't been on this site since the Survivor contest for LROE. But you were the first people I thought about, and where I wanted to be, when I heard the news. I am so appreciative to Soda for making this site happen.

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 11:37 AM
I wanted to bring this video over to this thread because I thought this was the cutest tribute to Glenn and the guys.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/3348225-video/?cid=facebook_WCCO-TV_|_CBS_Minnesota

LuvTim
01-20-2016, 11:39 AM
I wanted to bring this video over to this thread because I thought this was the cutest tribute to Glenn and the guys.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/3348225-video/?cid=facebook_WCCO-TV_|_CBS_Minnesota

I thought it was very sweet. Thanks, Shun. :grouphug:

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 12:02 PM
I want to get something off of my chest. I think that this is part of why I've been affected so much. Glenn's death has reminded me of my dad's death in many ways, and so, I've been thinking of him as well. Both were born in November and died in January. Both had pneumonia and GI problems that partially caused their deaths. Both were put into medically induced comas. (The images of seeing my dad like that are forever etched in my brain. No one should have to see that or go through it). Thinking about my dad has stirred up some memories that I had stored away never to think of again.

NightMistBlue
01-20-2016, 12:19 PM
I have to say, this, from Irving, has tinges of "public" to it, no? - Is it too much to hope that fans could attend?

“There will be a major memorial, and it will be in L.A.,” Azoff said. “The only thing the family and guys in the band ask is that we want to plan it right.”

Does anyone remember in which article Irving said this?

I wonder if it will be a memorial concert. I can't see something like a televised service, such as for Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson. Glenn was too private.

UndertheWire
01-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Don Felder has put out a statement which is a slightly expanded version of the one he put out on Facebook and, for me, it's better for the expansion.

I have many wonderful memories of those years and the many miles I travelled with Glenn, filled with laughter, song, parties, hugs and brotherly bonds. Glenn was the James Dean of the band. He was the leader that we all looked to for direction and by far the coolest guy in the band. It saddens me a great deal that we were never able to address the issues that came between us and talk them through. Sadly now we will never get the chance.http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-glenn-frey-tribute/

ETA: I take Don Felder's statement as sincere and I appreciate it.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Remembering Glenn Frey

I have been lucky enough to have attended several Eagles concerts. I also have been lucky enough to have seen each member perform as an individual.

Being married to Tiffanny Twisted changed me from being a casual fan to a die hard one. I think I own every recording the Eagles have made, both as a group and as individual artists. Whenever one would go to an Eagles concert you knew something awesome was about to take place. One thing I could see right away was Glenn Frey was an amazing front man. I don't think I have ever seen anyone more at ease in front of 20,000 people. He possessed the amazing ability to, not only be comfortable in front of a huge crowd, but to feed off their energy. But he also possessed another amazing quality.

On May 18, 2012, I was fortunate enough to see him at The Sands Hotel and Casino in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. I remember the crowd getting a little restless because the show started kind of late. But when he took the stage everything changed. As he performed and spoke to the crowd he was slowly turning a concert hall into a coffee house. I have never seen a performer create a more intimate performance with his audience than I did on this night. If you don't believe me several other Border members were in attendance including Tiffanny Twisted (my date for life), Always Been a Dreamer, Pray for Daylight, Perfect Little Sister, Va. is for Eagles Lovers, and our web mistress, a rock star in her own right, Sodascouts. That is how I will remember Glenn Frey. A great star, so able and willing to share his many talents and gifts.

Glenn, you may have checked out, but you can never leave...the music and your fans will never let you.

prayfordaylight
01-20-2016, 01:10 PM
I haven't been around here in awhile but I've been lurking since I heard the news. I hate that we're all going through this but there is some solace in knowing others feel how I do.

Like AlreadyGone95 wrote about, there's a handful of musicians that I've really bonded with in my life and Glenn is the first one I've lost. When David Bowie passed, I began dreading the day I'd lose one of them. I didn't think it would be so soon. I didn't think it would be Glenn.

I thought the same as many of you - no news was good news. He'd bounce back like he had in the past. I had a weird feeling as I went to a show at the Kennedy Center two nights before the Honors taping this year. I was sad that the boys wouldn't be there and hoped Glenn was recovering.

I still can't put into words the impact of his passing. I wasn't around for the 70s but I fell in love with Glenn first as a solo artist as a little kid in the 80s and I got into the Eagles around HFO. He is one of the few artists I can truly remember loving my entire life. To think I won't see him or hear him sing again is devastating. I keep listening to his songs trying to remember the joy they've brought me but all I can do for now is cry. I know one day I'll smile at them again.

timfan
01-20-2016, 01:21 PM
A closer up version of the Bruce Springsteen Glenn Tribute Take it easy from last nights show in Chicago. It is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gagSIZjQTZo#t=44

Ive always been a dreamer
01-20-2016, 01:36 PM
I want to say reading this thread over the last couple of days has been my main source of comfort. I thank each and every one of you from the bottom of my heart for coming together here and sharing our love, thoughts, and grief. It's very touching to see so many folks here, both old and new. I have so much that I want to share and say about Glenn, but I'm not ready to do that yet - right now I find it hard to even see his pictures or hear his music. It's funny how each of us has our own way of dealing with loss.

In the coming days and weeks, I know how important it will be for all of us beloved fans to come together and continue sharing our memories and feelings. Thank you all again for being a my rock right now.

SilverAcidRayne
01-20-2016, 02:21 PM
driving and had New Kid In Town blasting. driving and crying. i thought i could handle it. its very hard not only as a fan but as a music fan to deal with. even before i was into the band like i am now i loved them. the foundation the ROCK of that unit is gone. i would totally understand them not wanting to carry on. With the whole Felder thing? I think he did handle it with decency. yes he said bad things about Glenn. yes they had their problems. but in the end it all comes down to a friend mourning a friend. no matter what happened. no matter how bad it was they were still great friends. and i respect him more for it. it hurts it so effin hurts.

WalshFan88
01-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Jackson's tribute with TIE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUK2YbsnGQc

NightMistBlue
01-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Ah f#*k, got me crying again.

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 02:47 PM
I have to say. Other than missing his great voice. I know this will sound stupid, but I'm also going to miss seeing him wearing his two shirts he would wear in concert and he was always wearing that blue shirt we all hated. I was guilty of saying we need to burn that shirt along with Don's shirts. But it just hit me that we won't get see that again. That was his signature look he had for over 20 years. He would wore those over-shirts over his tshirt and Don wearing his flannel shirts. :weep: Little stuff like that I will miss.

AlreadyGone95
01-20-2016, 02:48 PM
I always pass a golf course on the way to the big city. I just passed it for the first time since Glenn's death. It took all that could do not to cry.

EYA: just noticed a street named Shsdy Glen. The radip is playing Nob Seger's Hollywood Nights, and I can't help but think of hoe he feels.

chaim
01-20-2016, 02:49 PM
There are so many Glenn tributes on YouTube from "ordinary people" too - people playing different songs. It's heart-warming to see how much love there is for him out there.

1EyedWick
01-20-2016, 02:53 PM
I do not mean to be rude or crass asking this question...and I actually do understand why for a few reasons BUT I do not understand on some levels why no one anywhere from what I can see has posted a simple question about The Eagles concerning Glenn's passing (R.I.P). Are the Eagles breaking up?! Are they continuing?! Why has not a single thought passed and been posted anywhere in the media or fans concerning this?! I'm dumbfounded.

NightMistBlue
01-20-2016, 02:56 PM
It's too soon, bro. They are probably still in shock, definitely grieving and don't know what their plans are.

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 03:06 PM
I think right now Don, Timothy, and Joe are too hurt and devastated to think about the future of the band right now. I've wondered myself, but I thought it was too soon to ask that question. I would loved for them to continue, but I think this is it. If the guys didn't want to go on with the reunion when Glenn refused back in 1990, I don't see them doing that now with Glenn gone.

I don't think we will hear about the future of the band until Don, Timothy and Joe heal from this heartbreaking news of losing their friend and bandmate.

I think a lot of us wonder if they will continue, but we know its over.

SilverAcidRayne
01-20-2016, 03:13 PM
dammit.

1EyedWick
01-20-2016, 03:21 PM
These were and are my thoughts as well...but needless to say...don't you all find it fascinating that not one media source or post has been done asking this simple and basic question concerning the subject at hand? I would have thought a simple mentioning of it would not have been too bad.

I would imagine that the Eagles are basically Glenn's group (right?) that that would be the end...at least for a period of time...but I do think that groups should at some point down the road should be allowed to continue.

Brooke
01-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Yes, I thank each of you too for sharing your feelings here. For those who haven't been around for a while, thanks for coming back.

Last night at dinner my husband and I were talking about Glenn's death. He said he was surprised he hadn't caught me in tears yet. He was the one that got me listening to them way back in 1972 and he loves the Eagles music as much as I do. He's not obsessed like I am. I guess being a guy, he wouldn't be! But anyway, he thought we should have a Glenn tribute night. I said I didn't know if I could, cause I was sure I would be crying. He said it was ok to cry. Glenn and the Eagles had always been a big part of our life. So a bit later we put some of our favorites on and talked and listened to them. We started with Take It Easy, then Peaceful Easy Feeling and Tequila Sunrise. Hearing his voice, the thought that I'd never hear him sing live again came to me. The tears came from both of us as we talked over old memories from that first concert of the Eagles we saw back in 1976 through the fourteen year 'break' (and still listening to their albums) and then getting to see them in concert several times during the resumption. For a finale I put on It's Your World Now and drank one glass of wine. I never got to see Glenn solo which is a regret. Now I'll never get to. But his music lives on and I'm so thankful he left us that. I never in this world thought he would be the first one to leave us and am so sorry his last days were so bad for him. How cool that he was able to finish the HotE Tour! Someone said on Fb that they felt bad that he didn't really get to enjoy any retirement. I would say he was doing what he wanted to do those last few months. Somehow I just can't see Glenn puttering around in the back yard and being lazy. That just wasn't him! He was a doer and a goer! Rest in peace Mr. Frey. We will miss you immensely and the music world will never be the same!

Brooke
01-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I think it's way too early for remaining band members to decide anything, but Don Henley has said that it was Glenn's decision and I don't see them touring as the Eagles without him. Ever. jmo

bluefeather
01-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I just got here and all this...unbelievable:weep:

R.I.P Mr. Frey and thank you for all the songs and vibes that have changed my life

SilverAcidRayne
01-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I think it's way too early for remaining band members to decide anything, but Don Henley has said that it was Glenn's decision and I don't see them touring as the Eagles without him. Ever. jmo

yes. my thoughts exactly. they may do something small in the future, with some of the vocal responsibilities unfortunately falling on Don. and its gonna be hard to do. very hard

cynd1231
01-20-2016, 04:17 PM

I've managed to hold myself together with two exceptions...watching this Springsteen tribute and when I heard Carrie Underwood's song "I Will See You Again" on the radio. Totally lost it in both instances.

Brooke
01-20-2016, 04:19 PM
I know people have posted about not being able to listen to the music or see pics or videos of Glenn, and I thought the same thing, but I did last night and it has helped a lot. Go ahead, you need to. :grouphug:

NightMistBlue
01-20-2016, 04:50 PM
You're a sweetie, Brooke. Your husband sounds nice too :)

LuvTim
01-20-2016, 04:54 PM
NMB: "You're a sweetie, Brooke. Your husband sounds nice too "

Yes. Wise, too. :-)

Freypower
01-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Bruce Springsteen helped me but brought me to the edge. The graphic of Lyin' Eyes with 'hangs her head to cry' almost got me there. I can't get there. What is wrong with me?

Regarding what Toonlass said about the negativity the Guardian ran a typically sneering 'it's time to reassess the Eagles' article & you guessed it, it was bad. And most of the comments were horrible. The Guardian is supposed to be the newspaper which reflects my pollitics, but I find more & more it's a self-parody of self-righteous political correctness.

I'm pleased with Rolling Stone's coverage, though. I don't know if we can expect a cover story especially as I imagine there will be a specia issue for Bowie.

The last time two major rock stars died so close together was when Jimi Hendrix died followed by Janis Joplin.

I'm sorry, everyone. I feel unable to communicate my loss to you. I appreciate all your efforts.

Jonny Come Lately
01-20-2016, 05:03 PM
I agree that listening to some of the music can help. I've listened to a fair bit of Eagles music over the last couple of days when I've had time. FWIW my choices have included some which seem particularly moving in these circumstances - songs like My Man, The Sad Café (absolutely loved the tribute from The Troubadour too) and You Are Not Alone. I Dreamed There Was No War also resonated very strongly with me. I must admit I haven't played It's Your World Now, I think that is one that is perhaps a bit too close to home right now. However, I've also listened to and watched a few videos of some of the more uptempo songs. I'm not sure why, but I felt happier when I saw him smiling while singing Take It Easy or rocking out on Out Of Control. :rockguitar:

cynd1231
01-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Here's a clip of Glenn from 1985 while acting as guest commentator with Vin Scully. Classic Glenn!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-frey-scully-20160120-story.html

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 05:09 PM
I know people have posted about not being able to listen to the music or see pics or videos of Glenn, and I thought the same thing, but I did last night and it has helped a lot. Go ahead, you need to. :grouphug:

It has been hard to listen to any songs of Glenn without wanted to cry. It hit with a bang that Monday night when Hotel California came on the radio and then The Long Run came on the radio as I drove to work. It has been hard. I've been ok today, but of course I would think of Glenn.

I thought I couldn't get through watching HOTE yesterday, but I watch it every day and I didn't want to change that. I watched HOTE last night on Showtime. It was hard.

As I'm writing this, After Hours came on Pandora. This might had been Glenn's last song he wrote before he died. I could be wrong.

SilverAcidRayne
01-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Bruce Springsteen helped me but brought me to the edge. The graphic of Lyin' Eyes with 'hangs her head to cry' almost got me there. I can't get there. What is wrong with me?

Regarding what Toonlass said about the negativity the Guardian ran a typically sneering 'it's time to reassess the Eagles' article & you guessed it, it was bad. And most of the comments were horrible. The Guardian is supposed to be the newspaper which reflects my pollitics, but I find more & more it's a self-parody of self-righteous political correctness.

I'm pleased with Rolling Stone's coverage, though. I don't know if we can expect a cover story especially as I imagine there will be a specia issue for Bowie.

The last time two major rock stars died so close together was when Jimi Hendrix died followed by Janis Joplin.

I'm sorry, everyone. I feel unable to communicate my loss to you. I appreciate all your efforts.

it hasn't really sunken in yet. which is ok. i'm not 100% there either. it's gonna really hit if there is a memorial of some sort. this definitely made me more sensitive. i see a lot of comments and negative articles posted and i don't say anything. when in reality i want to rip them a new one.

Toonlass
01-20-2016, 05:10 PM

It was the Guardian article which started me off on my rant Freypower. My sister had read it and was upset and then I read it and along with a few things I've seen over the last few weeks it got me annoyed.

Tori
01-20-2016, 05:13 PM
It's weird, the way we're all processing it. My sister was the one who immediately came to check on me when we found out, and her goal was to be calm and collected for me, and she had been completely avoiding Eagles and solo music until just now. (She tweeted about how she'd been avoiding the music until now and that she was ugly crying in her room, hah.)

This has hit me harder than my sister and I had a very strong visceral reaction, however I went straight for the music. It's been playing nonstop on my way to class and throughout the day since Monday. Last night I watched the entirety of Farewell 1 and downloaded a couple bootlegs (ssshhhh don't tell). I almost can't get enough Eagles at this point. Different for everyone, I suppose. It will all "hit us" at some point... though I've done much of my crying already, it still doesn't feel real.

I've been checking this thread nonstop. It's such a great way to start coping, knowing that all of us Borderers are in the same boat. We're here for each other! :heart:

Jonny Come Lately
01-20-2016, 05:26 PM
I had a quick look at the stuff on the Guardian website, but couldn't stomach too much of it. The best thing I can say is that the comments there do not reflect what I've read and heard everywhere else. In any case, just look at the tributes from Glenn's fellow musicians, I think that means much more than what anonymous people on a newspaper website say.

Having said that, the comments in the obituary from The Daily Telegraph website are a bit nicer. The obituary itself doesn't really tell us anything new. People like my parents who like the Eagles but don't really know the full story would find it informative though I think. The only really negative thing in the obituary IMO is the mention of Robert Christgau's distaste for the Eagles (something I do not worry about the slightest - my tastes and his are pretty much polar opposites. If you think he's mean about the Eagles try reading some of his progressive rock reviews!), but this is criticised in the comments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12107998/Glenn-Frey-obituary.html

FWIW, I bought The Times (of London) today which had a full-page obituary for Glenn. It's fairly similar to the Telegraph one in style, although one thing I did notice is that the 'plaintiff' joke gets a mention. There is also quite a nice colour photograph of Glenn at the Oakland Coliseum in 1977 (at least that's what the caption says, though judging by his appearance it seems correct to me), rather fittingly it shows him playing Old Black.

shunlvswx
01-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I think we all coping differently. For me, I was listening to Glenn's and the guys music the day he died. I think I had my Pandora on while on my computer that moment I found out. So I've never stopped listening to their music since I was listening everyday and watched HOTE everyday. I'm surprised I haven't gotten sick and tired of watching it nonstop with no breaks for 2 years now.

I think I'm in denial and hoping this is a bad dream I can wake up from.