PDA

View Full Version : I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

EasyFeeling
11-03-2007, 06:09 AM
Ok, I didn't know where to post so I made a new topic for this song.
Don't slap me but I must say pleeeeeeeease forgive me, Glenn I don't like this song very much. It's a bit too schmaltzy for my taste.

tbsfan
11-03-2007, 09:39 AM
This song makes me cringe. Lyrically I find it just a bit creepy and I can't believe it made the final cut for the CD. It also seems a bit out of place among the weightier songs on the second disc.

DonFan
11-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I agree--it is out of place on this CD. I hit the "skip" button when this song starts. It should've been saved for one of Glenn's solo efforts.

sodascouts
11-03-2007, 12:10 PM
It is a bit out of place on the disc but I love Glenn's vocal. It would be creepy if she didn't want to dance with him, but she does, so it moves beyond observation to participation. It reminds me thematically a bit of "Lady in Red" by Chris DeBurgh, where he starts out talking about how good the woman looks and how many men want her, then later winds up dancing with her himself.

The part I like best is the slow-dancing part. What a visual! So sexy. This song is especially hot live.

Maleah
11-03-2007, 12:31 PM
While Glenn sounds great, I have to agree with the first three. I just don't care for the song itself. Like I said, Glenn's performance is well done, but it's just one of those songs that I hit skip on :blush: But did I mention that Glenn sounds great? :D

rcknalwys
11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm not crazy about this one either. Not sure why, just doesn't do it for me, although I can see why so many of you do like it. Think maybe I just need to listen to it some more.

EasyFeeling
11-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I agree with Soda and Maleah on Glenn's vocal. His voice sounds wonderful. But for me it's not enough. Soda, you and others were lucky to see him doing this song live. It often happens to me that I change my mind when I see an artist live. But in this case I doubt I get the chance.

Molly
11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Lovely in its simplicity, but out of place on the album. It is amazing to see live.

My oldest son was looking at the cd cover and saw this title. He said, "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" and then gave a thoughtful, "Hmmmm".

I said, "There is no pole or dollar bills involved." To which he replied, "Oh."

Freypower
11-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I think the vocal is so astounding that it doesn't bother me whether it is schmaltzy or not.

Brooke
11-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Lovely in its simplicity, but out of place on the album. It is amazing to see live.

My oldest son was looking at the cd cover and saw this title. He said, "I Love to Watch a Woman Dance" and then gave a thoughtful, "Hmmmm".

:rofl: I can see me telling my son that, Molly. Not!

Listening to the cd today with my hubby. Hubby looked at me and said "What the hell is this?" :roll: I like the song and Glenn's vocal is gorgeous, but I really don't think it's an Eagles song and is very out of place on this album.

sodascouts
11-03-2007, 10:06 PM

LOL!!!!

I think that the main reason this song sounds out of place is because we're not used to such romantic songs from the Eagles. When I hear this song, I think of Glenn and only Glenn, not the Eagles. Perhaps that's a drawback in the sense that this is an Eagles album, but I still think the song is strong and affecting.

tbsfan
11-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I think that the main reason this song sounds out of place is because we're not used to such romantic songs from the Eagles. When I hear this song, I think of Glenn and only Glenn, not the Eagles. Perhaps that's a drawback in the sense that this is an Eagles album, but I still think the song is strong and affecting.
I know others' mileage varies, but I don't find this song romantic at all.

It was compared to Lady In Red earlier and I don't see that either. In that song, DeBurgh was singing about his wife and how beautiful she looked that evening. That song is romantic. To my ears, ILTWAWD just sounds like a guy drooling over some random woman.

Glenn must really love this song though, because in his book Don Felder talked about Glenn presenting it to the band when they were trying to record an album back in the late 90s. Felder said he thought it sounded almost exactly like For My Wedding which Henley was planning on (and did) include on Inside Job.

Billy
11-03-2007, 11:02 PM
sorry....I fast forward at this one. :blush:

sodascouts
11-04-2007, 02:52 AM
I know others' mileage varies, but I don't find this song romantic at all.

It was compared to Lady In Red earlier and I don't see that either. In that song, DeBurgh was singing about his wife and how beautiful she looked that evening. That song is romantic. To my ears, ILTWAWD just sounds like a guy drooling over some random woman.

I find "Lady in Red" really romantic, too. It makes me melt. ;) But there's nowhere in the lyrics of "Lady in Red" where DeBurgh indicates that he is even in a romantic relationship with the woman, much less that it's his wife. It could just as easily be a random woman in that song, too. If he didn't give interviews saying that it was for his wife, we'd never know it. That's where I derive the comparison from - the lyrics.

And who knows, maybe because Glenn's wife was once a professional dancer, the song reminds him of her and how she affects him. If you look at it that way, it's REALLY romantic. (Just speculating, of course.)

Glenn must really love this song though, because in his book Don Felder talked about Glenn presenting it to the band when they were trying to record an album back in the late 90s. Felder said he thought it sounded almost exactly like For My Wedding which Henley was planning on (and did) include on Inside Job.

It does seem that he really loves the song. I happen to love it, too! But hey, different things appeal to different people. I understand that it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

tbsfan
11-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Ugh. I just about had my response finished when my browser crashed!

I find "Lady in Red" really romantic, too. It makes me melt. ;) But there's nowhere in the lyrics of "Lady in Red" where DeBurgh indicates that he is even in a romantic relationship with the woman, much less that it's his wife. It could just as easily be a random woman in that song, too. If he didn't give interviews saying that it was for his wife, we'd never know it. That's where I derive the comparison from - the lyrics.
Even without DeBurgh saying the song was about his wife, which I didn't know for quite some time after first hearing the song, the lyrics sound like he's singing to a woman he knows and has a history with - "Ive never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight, Ive never seen you shine so bright you were amazing." Because of that, when I first heard it, it actually reminded me a bit of Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. I just don't get that from ILTWAWD. But that's just me. In my eyes, neither one of them can hold a candle to Wonderful Tonight.

It does seem that he really loves the song. I happen to love it, too! But hey, different things appeal to different people. I understand that it might not be everyone's cup of tea.
Yeah, different strokes and all that. Music is very subjective and it's interesting to see the different ways people interpret songs. And, if you don't like a song on LROOE, there are always 19 more to choose from. :)

Ive always been a dreamer
11-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Well - I definitely have to put my two cents worth in here. First of all, I totally agree about music being subjective and how there is room for everyone's opinion. It's just a fact that all of us have different preferences. That's one of the things I like about the album - there really is a little something for everyone on it. Having said that, I really am surprised at the response to this song. I think it is absolutely gorgeous and romantic. Maybe it's because I've seen Glenn perform it live on several occasions, but believe me, not once did I get any freaky, stalker vibe when he performed it. He puts his heart and soul in it as he stands at the mike sans guitar, and it is totally romantic, IMHO. I love the range of his voice here, and I think it must be a terribly difficult song to sing.

As far as the song not fitting in with the rest of the album, I don't totally agree with that either. While I do agree that it is probably more of a Glenn solo song than an Eagles song, I think the same is true for several of the Don and Glenn songs on the album. But here's why I think it fits on the album - since the Eagles never did pure love songs like this back in the day, the initial reaction is that its not an Eagles song. However, they are no longer 20 year old males who are unable to open up there hearts. I think the song shows their growth and maturity, which are underlying themes throughout the album. They are now unapologetically capable of expressing their emotions in a pure love song. It also compliments the mix between the albums themes.

EasyFeeling
11-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Good points, Dreamer. As for me I don't mind if it fits to the rest of the album or not, the contrary is the case. I find it boring to listen to an album and every song sounds similar. And I agree with you when you say there are Don-sounding songs on it, for instance FGOTBP. If you ask me it sounds totally like Don. I think what I don't like on ILTWAWD primarily is the waltz.

Maleah
11-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't get the "creepy/stalker" vibe at all when I listen to the song. I understand what it's about and like I've said before, Glenn sounds fabulous. I think part of the reason I don't care for it is the melody. It's just not something that grabs me. But I'm glad the rest of you have such a strong response to it!

timfan
11-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Well I just love this song! Tho I do agree the placement of it on the CD could have been better, the song itself is maginficent... Glenn's vocal and the subtle harmonies on the chorus are just right IMO 8)

Freypower
11-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Let me say that I have always HATED Lady In Red. I have also always known that it was about the singer's partner ('I have never seen that dress you're wearing').

Perhaps Glenn should have placed this on Disc 1 and NMCD on Disc 2, but my opinion of it remains. I just melt when I hear him sing it. I like the simplicity of it (one review compared it with The Band). I do not believe he will ever sing the song with the Eagles. If I do have any criticisms of his songs and a couple of Don's songs it is that they are too 'solo', not 'Eagles' enough. On this track I have the ominous feeling that none of the other three Eagles actually appear. I also feel that with YANA, except for backing vocals.

sodascouts
11-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I think the other guys must appear on ILTWAWD, because at Pebble Beach, Glenn said that they were working on "Eagle-izing" the song by adding harmonies.

Freypower
11-04-2007, 11:33 PM
That's what I said - 'except for backing vocals'. Do any of the other three play any instruments on either of these songs? They certainly don't on IDTWNW. That is Glenn and an orchestra. Glenn is credited with bass on the album. It stands to reason he would probably have played bass on these two songs. What drums we can hear are probably by Scott.

It is an uncomfortable question but unfortunately it begs to be asked.

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
That's what I said - 'except for backing vocals'.

Oh - I thought that you were only applying that to YANA.

Do any of the other three play any instruments on either of these songs? They certainly don't on IDTWNW. That is Glenn and an orchestra. Glenn is credited with bass on the album. It stands to reason he would probably have played bass on these two songs. What drums we can hear are probably by Scott.

It is an uncomfortable question but unfortunately it begs to be asked.

I don't know who can answer it, except the guys themselves. Personally, I can't tell.

Perfect Little Sister
11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Well I know that Michael provides the main instrumentation with the accordion. Tim will be playing bass, of course. Honestly, I am so distracted by the beauty of Glenn's voice during this song I don't really notice the music. The almost acappella arrangement is one of the things I love about it. The first time I heard this was live in MI and the heartbreaking beauty of it at first had my jaw agape and then tears raining down my face. I had to get a tissue from Soda when he was done singing because tears were dripping off my chin. I am so happy to have this one. Hell, I'd have bought the cd even if the other 19 songs sucked just to get this one. lol

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Well I know that Michael provides the main instrumentation with the accordion. Tim will be playing bass, of course. Honestly, I am so distracted by the beauty of Glenn's voice during this song I don't really notice the music. The almost acappella arrangement is one of the things I love about it. The first time I heard this was live in MI and the heartbreaking beauty of it at first had my jaw agape and then tears raining down my face. I had to get a tissue from Soda when he was done singing because tears were dripping off my chin. I am so happy to have this one. Hell, I'd have bought the cd even if the other 19 songs sucked just to get this one. lol

I loved how, after we gave him that standing ovation, he grinned, half-shrugged, and said, "It's just words and a melody" - so modest.

Perfect Little Sister
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
That was adorable! I had the impression of a little boy scuffing his shoe in the dirt in embarrassment. lol

Brooke
11-05-2007, 02:35 PM
It's a beautiful song and Glenn does a wonderful job on it. It just doesn't sound Eagley enough to me. I think he should have kept it for a solo album.

JoeFan
11-06-2007, 04:33 AM
I usually don't care for ballads but this one is appealing to me, don't know why, but I love to listen to it. I do think it's romantic, not sure why some people think it's about stalkers, doesn't seem like that to me. I do see why some think it's too solo, it doesn't have too terribly much of the other Eagles on it.

Mrs Frey
11-06-2007, 06:45 AM

From the time Soda, Dreamer, TF and PLS went to see Glenn :heart: in Canada, and talked about his performance of this song, I've been absolutely DYING to hear it. The gods have been against my hearing the album so far, with internet links not playing and so on. My album is on its way to me, though, thanks to a very kind friend, and this is probably the song that I'm going to be looking forward to hearing most.

PLS, I was so touched when I read your post above. I can just imagine how much Glenn's :heart: voice must have moved you. I think that if I ever get a chance to see that man in concert, I will probably burst into tears the minute he walks on stage! :blush: Gosh, he's so unbelievable.

Soda, the demonstration of his modesty after your standing ovation is also very touching. It makes me want to hug him :hug:.

Freypower
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM

It is not a given that Tim plays bass on this song, given that Glenn has a 'bass' credit. However, because he sang it without an instrument when he did it live, it may be a fair assumption that is is Tim here.

I assume this is one of Don's 'superfluous' songs. If it is he has had since 1995 to object to it. Felder mentions it in his book, and predictably didn't like it. Given that Don sang For My Wedding by the same writer, I would have thought he approved of it, but there you are.

sodascouts
11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
I assume this is one of Don's 'superfluous' songs. If it is he has had since 1995 to object to it. Felder mentions it in his book, and predictably didn't like it. Given that Don sang For My Wedding by the same writer, I would have thought he approved of it, but there you are.

Well, we don't know that for sure, although I have a suspicion you're right. However, as you said, Don obviously likes McNally's work so... maybe not.

I for one am glad Don amended his criticism to be only "a couple." At first it seemed as if he disdained ALL of the love songs on the album.

Freypower
11-06-2007, 07:14 PM
If COTU and WITW can be described as 'love' songs I doubt that Don would feel disdain for those two. The only song he sings with which he expressed dissatisfaction was BBF.

sodascouts
11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
I guess I should have said, all the love songs that he didn't sing. lol

But if Don includes BBF, he is at least somewhat self-critical.

Perfect Little Sister
11-06-2007, 07:34 PM

It is not a given that Tim plays bass on this song, given that Glenn has a 'bass' credit. However, because he sang it without an instrument when he did it live, it may be a fair assumption that is is Tim here.

I'm sorry FP. I was unclear in my statement. I meant that when performing this live, Tim would, of course be on the bass. I clearly remember Jonathan's bass playing during it...tho that's the only one I do remember. If Danny was playing guitar, I don't remember it. On the album itself, I have no idea. I did notice the mandolin on the studio version tho and I would assume that's Steuart.

Freypower
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, as I said, I believe the Eagles will never play this song live.

Anyway let's say some more positive things about it. He does use most of his range here. When he goes really low, those are the moments that grab me, as in 'a million miles away'. He sounds almost laconic, though his voice is so sweet. I don't know how to explain that very well. I especially love 'I'm gonna hold on to youuuuu' with a bit of the old vibrato in the 'you' (shades of my favourite part of POMPOY) - and then 'for as long as I can' is that low, laconic part again.

Those of you who saw him do it were very lucky indeed. I can only hope.

sodascouts
11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Who knows. It went over very well for Glenn. However, it's possible that it would be considered too solo for the shows. Believe me, I know how lucky I am to have been able to see Glenn perform it live.

The impassioned vocal is what makes this song. The melody is almost inconsequential - at least for me.

The Bomber
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
This one makes me want to gag but the little woman likes it.

EasyFeeling
11-11-2007, 09:21 AM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif

glenneaglesfan
11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Each to his own! I love this song, and melt to the words in the third verse:

So we danced together, close and slow
So slow we're almost standing still
Her warm breath against my neck
Slowly breaking down my will
The room spins so I can barely stand

However, I have to agree that this would sounds more like a Glenn solo song, as do some of Don's solos.

Here is a link to Larry John Mcnally's take on it.

http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/wordpress/?p=69

sodascouts
11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for posting!

Very interesting. Since I like the song, I like to hear more about the inspiration. However, I've seen the YouTube video he mentions and it was so awful I couldn't even get through it. I think it was more her choice of song than her dancing that got his motor running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFvKCjAjz0

Freypower
11-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Of course they 're-recorded' the song. I don't think it ever was recorded with Felder, just talked about. And eventually Don presumably agreed to record it, even assuming he had misgivings about it.

I do agree that it is more like a solo song (where are the three official Eagles apart from backing vocals) but I'm so happy that Glenn gave himself a 'showcase' like this.

Mrs Frey
11-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Each to his own! I love this song, and melt to the words in the third verse:

So we danced together, close and slow
So slow we're almost standing still
Her warm breath against my neck
Slowly breaking down my will
The room spins so I can barely stand

However, I have to agree that this would sounds more like a Glenn solo song, as do some of Don's solos.

Here is a link to Larry John Mcnally's take on it.

http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/wordpress/?p=69

GEF, you've hit the nail right on the head - this is my favourite verse of the song too, especially "Her warm breath against my neck/Slowly breaking down my will". Wow. No guesses for what I'm thinking at that point... :blush: I wish it was me he was singing about! :blush: :blush: And of course, that's exactly how I would feel if I were to dance with him. I'm sorry, I just had to say that.

This is the most romantic song on the album, and I love it. Glenn's :heart: voice is beautiful and passionate, and full of emotion. I love the sound of the breaths he takes between lines at the beginning of the song, while the accompaniment is still very gentle :blush:. The lyrics are beautiful (thumbs up to Larry John McNally) and honest. The way Glenn :heart: sings this just sweeps me off my feet.

I'm working on a re-write of the song: "I Love To Listen To Glenn :heart: Frey Sing". :sigh:

Freypower
11-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I hear you MF. The breathing absolutely kills me.

Mrs Frey
11-28-2007, 07:56 AM
I thought it would, FP 8).

tbs fanatic
11-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Not one of my favorites but I can see how the Glenn fans would love it.

JoeFan
11-29-2007, 04:11 AM
However, I've seen the YouTube video he mentions and it was so awful I couldn't even get through it. I think it was more her choice of song than her dancing that got his motor running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFvKCjAjz0

Horrid!

12-01-2007, 12:46 AM
lol - JoeFan. Unfortunately, I agree with you. That must be one of the worst things I've ever seen on YouTube. What a horrible thing to do to this song! :headshake:

EasyFeeling
12-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Yikes! :shock: :shock:

katherine5832
12-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I've got to say that this one is one of my least favorites on the CD. If I want to hear Glenn get all romantic, I'd rather listen to Peaceful Easy Feeling. :inlove: When I heard ILTWAWD, my first thought was, "I bet this is one of the ones that Don didn't want included." Sorry, Glenn fans! Don't throw anything at me! Speaking of ones that Don didn't want included, someone mentioned in an earlier post that he was dissatisfied with Busy Being Fabulous. Is that true? I love that song; it's one of my favorites on this album. Awww...what does Don know anyway?! :D

sodascouts
12-29-2007, 01:37 AM
I think this song is "love it or hate it" - I fall in the former category. If Don didn't want it on the album, I'm glad he was outvoted. And I agree - BBF is terrific! So catchy!

Freypower
12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
I have said before that Don had ample opportunity to state whether or not he wanted to record the song, given that they had been kicking it around since 1995 and they had both apparently informed Larry McNally they were going to record it.

I have to say that the attempt to 'Eagle-ise it' by adding backing vocals didn't really work. What Glenn should have done was minimise the amount of accordion and let the other three Eagles play something on it.

Regardless, I remain grateful for its existence.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:50 PM
"Her warm breath against my neck... slowly breaking down my will."

HOT.

:pimp:

Freypower
11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
"Her warm breath against my neck... slowly breaking down my will."

HOT.

:pimp:

Yes. The entire song is hot, in my opinion.

11-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Wow! I agree the song is totally hot! And I am so glad that I actually had the honor of seeing it performed live several times.

Now - I can't believe all the thought-provoking discussions that have been going on in so many threads about song lyrics. I've had a busy week and don't have much board time. I'll have to weigh in on some of these discussions a few threads at a time. I'm going to have to 'take it easy' with all this overload. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Overload is right! Teacher gave us too much homework! ;-)

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Initially I didn't like this one - I hate the thought of somebody watching me dance, so the title on its own was enough to put me off. Once I started thinking of it as "I love to watch a specific woman dance" though it began to grow on me.

It's not yet a favourite, but I would welcome the opportunity to hear Glenn perform it live & change my mind!! 8-)

OntheBorder74
12-01-2019, 06:07 AM
So I was listening to this song off Long Road out of Eden and to my ear what I love about it is it sounds like Glenn's old voice from the early 70s when it was still nasally and more twangy before he had a nose operation and his voice became more soulful. Its an understated vocal but it feels like the Glenn of the first lineup again.

though i must say i hate the overuse of the word Dance at oen point popping up three times in a space of two sentences! worldclass songwriters but that sounded really amateur heres' the quote;

"this dance may be our only dance, So we danced.. WHAT?" I feel that's like Songwriting 101, it didnt even sound ironic haha, anyway let me know what the rest of you ontheborders think of this song and the points I brought up . Peace

thelastresort
12-01-2019, 06:39 PM
In their defence they didn't write it! However, I will concede that it does also annoy me too, specifically '... this dance, may be our only dance...' when 'only chance' works just as well.

I do like the song however. As I have said a million times over, I am not a fan of the general compilation of Long Road, and this is certainly a song where Glenn did 100% of everything you hear, but it is a nice song. Same as Henley's For My Wedding (written by the same fella) and Bernie's I Wish You Peace. None are my favourite, but all three are pleasant.

12-02-2019, 10:05 PM
OTB - I moved your post to this existing thread for the song.

I am admittedly very biased partly because I saw Glenn perform this song live several times and it was so moving, I thought I was literally going to pass out. Of course, it didn't hurt when Glenn dedicated the song to Soda, PLS, and I at one of his shows in Niagara Falls. So, yeah it was the thrill of a lifetime and I guess you can say I absolutely adore the song.

And tlr - I like your idea of 'only chance'.

FreyFollower
12-03-2019, 08:20 PM
OtB74...I went back and read the lyrics. While it is repetitive, I find the song/performance quite sensual, and hadn't even noticed that fact!;-) In my opinion, with her being a dancer, Glenn did the song for his wife, Cindy.