PDA

View Full Version : Somebody

tbs fanatic
11-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Okay, who besides me thinks 'Somebody' is rocking? OMG - I have played it a million times. Glenn's voice is super great on it.

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
The first time I heard this I was was like "Hmm, I don't know about that." I expected Glenn's "rocker voice" like he uses in "Heartache Tonight," and I didn't get it. But the more I play it, the more I like it. It does totally rock, and the relentless rhythm of it really evokes that sense of an unstoppable race towards impending doom, despite the best efforts of the guy in the song to avoid it.

EasyFeeling
11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Meeeeeee. :D I loved it from the first note and that's what I want to hear from Glenn, a rocking and danceable song which puts me into good mood in no time. Every time I hear it I press the + button to hear it louder. :wink:

Perfect Little Sister
11-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Hearing the mixed reviews on this one I expected it would have to grow on me. It didn't need any growing time. lol I liked it the first time through. I can picture Glenn having an absolute blast singing it.

Brooke
11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
I loved it the first time I heard it! I couldn't believe it was Glenn at first, but by the 2nd play I knew for sure. It was stuck in my head most of the night last night! :D

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I loved it the first time I heard it! I couldn't believe it was Glenn at first, but by the 2nd play I knew for sure.

I didn't like how Glenn modulated his voice at first, which was why at first I was like "what's he doing?!" But after multiple plays on Halloween I got really into it. I figure, when a song can sustain multiple plays, it's a good song. One thing he really seems to be able to do is make his voice sound really different. The smooth richness of his ballad voice, the rough wildness of his rocker voice, and now this "spooky voice." At the shows in Niagara, he pretending to be an announcer at first, and as well as I know his voice, I didn't recognize his "announcer voice" until I saw him doing off-stage to the side, with a big smile and the spotlight hit him to reveal his "secret"! Pretty cool.

tbs fanatic
11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I'd love to see this done live - woohoo! It was a great Halloween song - with the tombstone and the crow LOL!

Brooke
11-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Hmmm. 2 songs now that mention crows! This one and Waiting in the Weeds (biding time with crows and sparrows)! :lol:

It seems to me Glenn is doing a lot of different stuff with his voice and he never sounded better! :D

Freypower
11-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I think Glenn sounds wonderful on this song although I wish someone would tell him that it's 'an icy chill' not 'a icy chill'. He does that from time to time, sings 'a' instead of 'an' and it annoys me. This is one of the songs I keep forgetting about, that I am still getting to know. It would have been nice if there were some 'social comment' involved.

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 10:00 PM
This song has so much energy that it would be great live! I'd also like to hear if he does the vocal modulation live or sings it straight up.

JoeFan
11-06-2007, 04:31 AM
This song is another favourite of mine. I like the fast pace, it's one of the album's best rockers.

The Bomber
11-10-2007, 11:40 PM
This one is f***ing awesome! Frey rocks. He needs to do more songs like this. Enough of the ballads, dude!

Freypower
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks Bomber! I agree!

Has anyone noticed the way he sings 'pay' with a breathing effect? Very cool. I wish I knew who the guitars were by. I think Glenn himself is playing acoustic.

glenneaglesfan
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
This song is awesome, and may become my favourite of the album. It has all it takes to be a great - good intro, interesting lyrics, nifty guitar work and it rocks. I'm still listening to the radio version, eagerly awaiting my pre-ordered copy. Thank goodness for the internet!

rcknalwys
11-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm another that likes Somebody, good to hear Glenn do a rocker.

sodascouts
11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Not only has this song grown on me, last night I actually dreamt I was at a concert watching the Eagles perform it live! I guess it's crept into my subconscious. ;)

eagleshenleyfan
11-17-2007, 08:56 PM
This is not only one of my favs from the album but it's also my fav Glenn song from it. A great rockin' tune and a fantastic vocal from Glenn, it's great the way he uses his voice on the 'it's calling you home' part.

Freypower
11-21-2007, 11:49 PM
I decided to read some amazon.com. reviews. What do people think of this statement about Somebody?

which I can't help but feel is a message aimed directly at the leaders of our current administration- 'You'll get yours in the end'.

And here's another comment. This has not occurred to me at all:

Somebody - Here is the protest song against Bush! They lyrics are great and Glenn speaks them with passion and anger... but he knows that Bush will get what is coming to him! This gets a lot of bad feedback, and I don't really know why. I thing it is a great song. Great upbeat sound with classic vocals from Glenn. Really love it! One of my favorites on the album.

sodascouts
11-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Obviously, the song is about an evil guy who is being stalked by someone who is going to hold him accountable for his reprehensible actions. Therefore, you can apply it to any guy who you feel is doing evil things in secret and who will be called out on it. Did Tempchin and Brannen mean it as an anti-Bush song? Was Glenn thinking of it in that context when he decided to record it? If so, he hasn't said so - and they've been pretty forthcoming about such things. But everyone can interpret it how they wish.

Brooke
11-24-2007, 09:28 PM
I never even once thought it was talking about Bush, but that's food for thought.

And, this is one of my favorites on the album/cd.

Mrs Frey
11-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Well, I was waiting for my Deluxe edition of LROOE to arrive, but eventually I just HAD to buy the Standard edition yesterday! I've listened to the album in its entirety just once, but I've played the Glenn :heart: songs 4 times each; surprise, surprise (that's excluding NMCD and YANA, which I heard before I bought the album), and I think this song is a good place for me to start commenting:

Oh, I LOVE Glenn :heart: singing rockers! His voice is fantastic on this - the way he varies its sound according to the lyrics: sometimes powerful, sometimes soft, sometimes raspy, sometimes menacing. His voice is especially menacing on the latter half of this lyric (highlighted here):

There's a big black crow
And it's calling you home

I love the instrumentation - great acoustic guitar work (I agree with you, FP - this could well be Glenn :heart: playing), superb slide guitar (I'm hoping it's Joe - it certainly sounds like his style) and I love that Duane Eddy-style guitar riffing that intros as well as runs through the song. The organ is also a nice touch - it brings to mind a scene of the subject of the song's pending funeral.

Glenn's :heart: voice just thrills me on this song, and along with FP and Jack, I'd like to agree that he should sing more rockers. The man is so versatile, and that's what true artistry is all about, IMHO.

glenneaglesfan
11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Even though this is not written by Glenn, it immediately reminded me of He Took Advantage (off his Strange Weather album). I hadn't linked it to a political theme; I read it as a regret for individual bad behaviour in the past, but on balance it fits in very well with disillusionment with our current governments and their policies.

Freypower
11-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Along with BBF, this is Rosalind's favourite track from the album, particularly the final verse. She sang it to me on Saturday Night while we were watching the election, and did Glenn's 'and it's calling you home' voice. We both thought it was appropriate for one J.W. Howard at the time. :twisted:

Mrs Frey
11-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Rosalind has great taste, FP! 8)

tbs fanatic
11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
I never even once thought it was talking about Bush, but that's food for thought.

And, this is one of my favorites on the album/cd.

That never occurred to me either :?

Ive always been a dreamer
12-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Well - I'm slowly getting around to commenting in these individual song threads. This is definitely one of my top three favorite songs on the album. It totally ROCKS and I agree with most everyone's comments here. I loved it the moment I heard it. However, the true test of whether it is a good Glenn song or not is whether or not my Mom likes it. She gives this one a big :thumbsup:. :D :wink:

Oh man - I hope they play this live!!!!!!!

glenneaglesfan
12-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Your mom has good taste too, dreamer! I couldn't imagine playing it to mine - she can't stand any music with guitars playing. :?

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Any thoughts on the inclusion of "a big black crow"? I hadn't typically associated such birds with menace but that seems to be what they're going for here.

Freypower
11-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Well, that's weird, because I have always thought that crows & ravens were 'menacing' birds even if they are not birds of prey.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 07:14 PM
This is not the week to talk about Ravens to me!

I thought I'd include the lyrics and refresh my memory:

You feel bad, but not bad enough
You know you got it coming 'cause you played so rough
Back over your shoulder, you've got an icy chill
Man, you thought you'd get away with it
Now you know you never will

Somebody, somebody
You got a feelin' somebody's following you

No one knows 'bout the times you had
You've been so evil; you know, you've been so bad
There's the devil to pay for what you put them through
And you got a feeling somebody's following you

Somebody, somebody
Somebody, somebody

There's a jack-o-lantern moon in the midnight sky
Somebody's gonna live, somebody's gonna die
But down in the graveyard on that old tombstone
There's a big black crow and it's callin' you home

Somebody, somebody
Somebody, somebody
Somebody
You know there's somebody

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I did a little research and this article seems to sum up most of what I found in a lot of individual pieces. The crow and raven are from the same 'bird family' and in some myths they were considered good things, but in most they were not. I'll put the link to the entire piece, but this paragraph seems to sum up what the guys were going for:

"These birds were thought to have a special taste for the bodies of hanged criminals and to enjoy plucking out the eyes of sinners (Prov 30:17). Christians thought they carried off the souls of the damned and associated this bird with the Fall of Man and Satan who blinds sinners, dulls their moral senses, and feasts on their corruption."

http://ww2.netnitco.net/~legend01/raven.htm

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Well jeez, no wonder crows, ravens (and snakes) get a bad rap! :fear:

I just skimmed this thread, and I would have never put a political spin on this song. :roll: But what is it about? Who is it about? See, this annoys me. As much as I enjoy the music and vocals in this song, the lyrics are way too vague. I don't want to have to fill in the blanks. I want it spelled out for me. :hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Well jeez, no wonder crows, ravens (and snakes) get a bad rap! :fear:

I just skimmed this thread, and I would have never put a political spin on this song. :roll: But what is it about? Who is it about? See, this annoys me. As much as I enjoy the music and vocals in this song, the lyrics are way too vague. I don't want to have to fill in the blanks. I want it spelled out for me. :hilarious:

I thought songwriters usually did that on purpose. So it could fit whomever they have in mind.

Actually, for me, this has always brought to mind Phil Collin's song 'I Can Feel It Coming In the Air Tonight'. I've always wanted to know who he wrote that about (in spite of the many legends going 'round, Mr. Collin's claims it's not about anybody specific). Ever since Glenn mentioned the intro to this song as being great and very visual, I've thought of it even more when hearing Somebody.

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 09:21 PM
That is a good comparison, VA. I Can Feel It Coming is very vague too. :eyebrow:

Somebody also conjures up the paranoia in All Those Lies. Although the content is different, the feel is kind of the same.

Freypower
11-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I thought songwriters usually did that on purpose. So it could fit whomever they have in mind.

Actually, for me, this has always brought to mind Phil Collin's song 'I Can Feel It Coming In the Air Tonight'. I've always wanted to know who he wrote that about (in spite of the many legends going 'round, Mr. Collin's claims it's not about anybody specific). Ever since Glenn mentioned the intro to this song as being great and very visual, I've thought of it even more when hearing Somebody.

Given that the whole Face Value album is about the failure of Phil's first marriage, I have always assumed it is about his first wife. Magnificent song.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 10:52 AM
This is not the week to talk about Ravens to me!

:hilarious: Now that's funny!!!

I won't even try to analyze this one but I will say this.... It's another one of those songs I didn't pay much attention to till I heard it live and it wasn't so much the lyrics that got my attention, but the fact that the way Glenn sings those lyrics is nothing short of HOT!!!! "Nuff said!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
:hilarious: Now that's funny!!!

I won't even try to analyze this one but I will say this.... It's another one of those songs I didn't pay much attention to till I heard it live and it wasn't so much the lyrics that got my attention, but the fact that the way Glenn sings those lyrics is nothing short of HOT!!!! "Nuff said!

I know, when I think back to the one LROOE concert I went to, this is the primary memory. When someone mentions it, seeing Glenn sing this song, hearing it in my head is what I think of first. I'm pretty sure even my mother had to fan herself after this song. He was definitely :smokin:

Glennsallnighter
01-28-2017, 06:09 PM
I was browsing my youtube account this evening and came across this. Its a video I took in Belfast in 2009 of the guys doing Somebody - a little shaky at the start

Hopefully the link will work

Its always been one of my favourites off the LROOE album and its certainly bittersweet reading through the comments that everyone has made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-8UdhYtik

sodascouts
01-28-2017, 07:43 PM
Fantastic. So glad you captured that!

GlennLover
01-29-2017, 01:13 AM
Wonderful! Thanks, GA!

DivineDon
01-29-2017, 08:49 AM
That was terrific, GA! Somebody is also one of my favourites :grin:
I still think it's a shame they didn't include any songs from LROOE for the HOTE tour. I wonder why that was?

Ive always been a dreamer
01-29-2017, 01:02 PM
I agree - that is a true gem, GA. And yep DD - one of the rare times we may get near unanimity around here is about the LROOE shutout on the HOTE tour. :confused: :ack: :headscratch:

L101
01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting this GA! They all look and sound great on it, especially Glenn. I was at those shows but I can't really remember much of them which is really annoying me!
I wish they would release this tour on DVD as well but that is far too much to hope for :grin:

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2017, 04:46 PM
There are ways my dear.......

Lisa
01-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Thanks, GA. I don't know whether "Somebody" is a statement or a mood, but what a strong performance!

Dawn
01-30-2017, 12:20 AM
I was browsing my youtube account this evening and came across this. Its a video I took in Belfast in 2009 of the guys doing Somebody - a little shaky at the start

Hopefully the link will work

Its always been one of my favourites off the LROOE album and its certainly bittersweet reading through the comments that everyone has made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI-8UdhYtik

Awesome video thanks so much for sharing!!

:wave: Dawn