PDA

View Full Version : Waiting In The Weeds

Perfect Little Sister
11-05-2007, 02:32 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! This song is so amazing!!!! I love it! It reminds me of some of the folk music I listened to as a kid. Their voices are just so beautiful!

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I absolutely ADORE this song. I think it's brilliant - lyrically, musically - I like everything about it. I find it FLAWLESS. How rare is that?! I can't get enough of it. It's his best work in two decades. Amazing.

My favorite part: when Don takes it up a notice with the "ferris wheel" segment. The best lyrics of the song, the most melodic segment of the song, the most passion in the song.

Kudos to Don. He has really outdone himself here.

tbs fanatic
11-05-2007, 03:21 PM
I think everyone likes this one. It's great.

Brooke
11-05-2007, 05:19 PM
OMG! This song is absolutely beautiful. I just returned from a trip to the bank in the neighboring town and listened to it 3 times on the way home!

First of all, the acoustic guitar. Is Glenn playing there? Then Don's gorgeous raspy voice. The beautiful harmonies. The oooooohs and aaaaaaaahs. The mandolin. The haunting piano. What more can I say! I think it is beyond all words. It very nearly makes me cry, but I find myself nearly nolding my breath and wanting more. :fainting:

Probably going to be my favorite! :D

Freypower
11-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I love the song except for the line 'he's the darling of the chic' which seems totally at variance with the rustic mood and takes us back to the milieu of Busy Being Fabulous. I love all the stuff about the chambers of the heart and the spider weaving its web.

tbsfan
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I think this song is a masterpiece! Love the lyrics, and the harmony vocals are just stunning. My favorite part is when they get to the end and Timothy is repeating what Don is singing. If they do this song live (and hopefully they will because I think it's the best song on LROOE) I hope they'll include this part.

sodascouts
11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I hope they do it live, but they might hesitate to do a longer ballad live that isn't already known to the audience, like Lyin' Eyes. Still, I think out of all the songs off of LROOE, this song has had the most universal approval - at least on the message-board-posting online community, which admittedly is just a fraction of the overall fandom.

Maleah
11-06-2007, 12:36 AM
tbs said what I was thinking..........this song is absolutely a masterpiece! Sheer brilliance! lol I seriously had it on repeat all day today. Lyrically it is just superb.......tie that to Don's stunning vocal and the beautiful harmonies..........nothing short of amazing! I really like when he goes into the "he's the darling of the........." vocally. He takes it up a notch and hits beautiful notes and then brings it back down into that slower, lower rasp. *sigh* :D Gorgeous!

Perfect Little Sister
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I think this song is a masterpiece! Love the lyrics, and the harmony vocals are just stunning. My favorite part is when they get to the end and Timothy is repeating what Don is singing. If they do this song live (and hopefully they will because I think it's the best song on LROOE) I hope they'll include this part.

I love that part, too, tbs! When singing along with the cd, I abandon the lead there and start singing with Tim. lol

sodascouts
11-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Tim's harmony fits perfectly there. I love to listen to it.

EasyFeeling
11-07-2007, 04:29 AM
I guess we all are in agreement about this song. I've been listening to it on my way to work (I had time to repeat it 4 times :wink: ) and it's one of my favourites. The vocals, harmonies, the melody... just beautiful. I would love to hear this song live.

Claire
11-07-2007, 06:15 AM
I totally agree with you: this song is a masterpiece from all points of view!
I can't stop listening to it either... the harmonies are wonderful, the music too... it's so perfect! An Eagles song as I love them :D
Maleah, I love the part you mentionned too, one of my favourite! Don's voice sounds amazing there, as usual :P

The Bomber
11-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Looks like Im' the only one who doesn't think this song is the best song on the record. I like it OK, it's pretty, but it's not my favorite. It's a little too long.

JoeFan
11-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree Bomber, I like it but it's not my favourite.

rcknalwys
11-13-2007, 06:31 PM
I love this one too, especially when Timothy comes in there at the end. I do the same thing PLS, I go right in there with Timothy and forget all about Don!

Brooke
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I had to go back and read everyone's first comments about WITW since it won the Survivor game. And I agree now more than ever. It's a masterpiece!

I, too, am sad that it wasn't written by Don and Glenn rather than Don and Steuart, but what can we do? I wish they (Don & Glenn) would have gotten together more, but I suppose we'll just have to accept them however we can get them. :D

Brooke
12-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Geez, I'm getting old. I forgot to ask my question, which was the main reason for my post! :roll:

Near the end of the song, Don sings

"The phases of the moon
The chambers of the heart
The egg and dart"

I don't get the egg and dart part. Hoping I'm not showing my complete ignorance, but anyone know? :blush:

Brooke
12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
How's that? Three posts in a row! :roll:

Just wanted to celebrate with Don and Waiting In The Weeds for a few days.

Now Glenn, don't think I've deserted you! I'll be back! :wink:

glenneaglesfan
12-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Actually, having voted against it in the final round, I'm now inclined to agree that it is a superb piece of songwriting. It was my third favourite all along, but probably really my second favorite, after WDIDWMH, which for whatever reason, is the one I want to play over and over again.

Drat, I forgot to answer you, Brooke, and the Egg and Dart. This is an architectural term referring to a style of ornamentation which resembles a sea urchin and an upright element. I only grasped it after a crossword question a few weeks ago!

Brooke
12-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Drat, I forgot to answer you, Brooke, and the Egg and Dart. This is an architectural term referring to a style of ornamentation which resembles a sea urchin and an upright element. I only grasped it after a crossword question a few weeks ago!

Thank you gef. Now that you explained it, I know an example of what it is. I have seen this "egg and dart" design in antique, ornate woodwork. :doh:

That Don, he is good with his craft! :D

sodascouts
12-20-2007, 10:21 PM
While it's true that it's a type of molding, the origin of it is that in ancient Greece, the egg and dart was symbolic of birth/life and death. I think Don was going more for that original meaning - the cycle of life.

http://www.agrellcarving.com/portfolio/lion.html

Brooke
12-21-2007, 10:17 AM
While it's true that it's a type of molding, the origin of it is that in ancient Greece, the egg and dart was symbolic of birth/life and death. I think Don was going more for that original meaning - the cycle of life.

Ah ha! That is an even better explanation and the one I imagine Don is using, too.

Thank you Soda.

rcknalwys
12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I read a similar description of this phrase SodaScouts. The egg and dart is also an Egyption symbol of eternal life. It fits right in there with "tide's eternal tune" and "phases of the moon" and "chambers of the heart". Such an unusual phrase to have used yet how perfectly it compliments the rest of the words. Quite a wordsmith that Don Henley :thumbsup: lol

Ive always been a dreamer
12-22-2007, 01:18 AM
I just realized that I had not commented before in this thread. What an oversight for such a beautiful song. I can't add much to what has already been said. The song is a true gem and considering that it seems to be one of the most popular songs on the album with the fans, I wonder if they will release this as a single and/or perform this live. I bet it would be spine-tingling to see this performed live. :nod:

sodascouts
12-23-2007, 06:13 PM
I read a similar description of this phrase SodaScouts. The egg and dart is also an Egyption symbol of eternal life. It fits right in there with "tide's eternal tune" and "phases of the moon" and "chambers of the heart". Such an unusual phrase to have used yet how perfectly it compliments the rest of the words. Quite a wordsmith that Don Henley :thumbsup: lol

You said it. Sometimes the man just amazes me with his sophisticated usages of imagery and phrasing.

glenneaglesfan
12-27-2007, 06:44 AM

Ah yes, that makes more sense. Thanks for that explanantion, and yours too, ricknalwys.

katherine5832
12-27-2007, 11:18 PM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments regarding this song. It seems like this song has really struck a chord with everyone - me included. Before I got my CD, I had been hearing some buzz about this song in particular. When I first started listening to it, I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing extraordinary, and then I got to the lyrics, "And he's the darling of the chic..." and I was just bowled over. Like many others in this thread, I've been listening to this one over and over. Someone mentioned that they thought it was too long. In my opinion, it's not long enough. I'm always bummed when it ends, so I end up repeating it.

I'm no music critic, so I'll probably explain this clumsily, but I just love the way the "I've been waiting in the weeds..." refrain has an irregular pattern (to my ears at least). It's hard to explain, but it'll seem like a line of lyrics is done, but then Don will sing one or two more words to finish off the phrase. Example: "I've been keepin' to myself, knowing that the seasons are slowly changing....you" and then other parts of the refrain will have lines kind of running into one another without a pause. Example: "...lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town and I imagine sunlight..." And, is Don Henley the only songwriter that could possibly use the phrase "proximity and chance" in a song and not make it seem clumsy?

I also agree with those of you who said you liked the part when Timothy starts to sing opposite Don. God, that's gorgeous! Does anyone else get a Bruce Hornsby vibe when listening to the piano playing at the end? I know he's not credited at all on this song, but it seems so Hornsby-esque to me.

If they do tour - (please, please, please!) - I hope they sing this one. I really think it would be a show-stopper.

sodascouts
12-29-2007, 01:35 AM
When I first started listening to it, I thought it was pretty decent, but nothing extraordinary, and then I got to the lyrics, "And he's the darling of the chic..." and I was just bowled over.

That was what put this song over the top for me as well. And then, after that, he just keeps hitting you with line after incredible line, and the harmonies build, and it just keeps getting better and better. Amazing.

I'm no music critic, so I'll probably explain this clumsily, but I just love the way the "I've been waiting in the weeds..." refrain has an irregular pattern (to my ears at least). It's hard to explain, but it'll seem like a line of lyrics is done, but then Don will sing one or two more words to finish off the phrase. Example: "I've been keepin' to myself, knowing that the seasons are slowly changing....you" and then other parts of the refrain will have lines kind of running into one another without a pause. Example: "...lying on the outskirts of this lonesome town and I imagine sunlight..." And, is Don Henley the only songwriter that could possibly use the phrase "proximity and chance" in a song and not make it seem clumsy?

I noticed this too! It stood out to me when I was trying to transcribe the song and I wasn't sure where to break the lines (before I had the CD artwork obviously lol). I also didn't realize that the "you" went with the line before it until I read that in the lyrics. I thought it was "the seasons are slowly changing / ooh, and though you're with somebody else..." He kind of throws you a curveball there.

I personally think it's to achieve the effect of the endless cycle. Just when you think the thought is ended, it continues to the next line, both echoing the line melodically and thematically but building upon it as well... and so on, and so on. Even when you have breaks, key changes, and melodic shifts, the images echo each other. It's amazing to me that this has so much repetition musically and yet, listening to it, it doesn't sound repetitive at all. That is such an achievement and attests to the power of the lyrics.

I didn't notice the Hornsby thing before, but now that you mention it, I can see it.

bdr529
12-31-2007, 09:59 AM
From the first moment I heard WITW the song grabbed me emotionally. I cannot wait to witness it preformed live. I anticipate it grabbing me just as Desperado and Wasted Time do live.

katherine5832
02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I made my sister listen to this song the other day telling her how fantastic it was and that it was one of the best things that Don's ever written. I also told her that once she heard it once or twice, she would not be able to stop thinking about it. She admitted that it made her teary and she would probably end up buying the CD.

I had my 11-year-old nephew in my car yesterday and I was playing the CD. I told him that WITW was my favorite song on the CD. After NMCD started playing, he said, "Yeah, I liked # 7, that Waiting in the Weeds song." A few hours later when I was driving with him again, he said, "I can't get that song Waiting in the Weeds song out of my head." Being the nice aunt that I am, I immediately played it for him again. I'm hoping that he went home and told his mom to buy the CD already!

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm sure he did Katherine! Well done in instilling musical values into the younger generation!

katherine5832
02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm sure he did Katherine! Well done in instilling musical values into the younger generation!

Yes, I'm trying my hardest to educate another generation about the best band in the world. I forgot to mention that also yesterday he and his sister, brother, and friend were having a discussion about what Hotel California meant. I guess knowing that I'm the crazy aunt who loves the Eagles, they came and asked me. I thought, "Oh where to start?", but I just gave them the pat answer of "it's about the decadent life during the 70's in LA." Not sure if that satisified them, but I didn't want to bore them with all of the various interpretations that have been around for the last 30 years!

Mrs Frey
02-04-2008, 06:46 AM
I just realized that I had not commented before in this thread. What an oversight for such a beautiful song. I can't add much to what has already been said. The song is a true gem and considering that it seems to be one of the most popular songs on the album with the fans, I wonder if they will release this as a single and/or perform this live. I bet it would be spine-tingling to see this performed live. :nod:

Wow, Dreamer, it's taken me even longer to post a comment in this thread. :shock: I'd forgotten that I hadn't since I commented on the song while we were playing the "First Impressions Survivor" game for the album. Well, here goes:

This is definitely one of my favourites on the album. I can't decide on my favourite, but I'd put this one in the top three.

It's a poignant song for me - it makes me think deeply and listen intently. The instrumentation and magnificent harmonies take me to a far away place that I have not yet seen. It instills a longing within me for a better life, as I wait, watch and persevere for my luck to change. Not necessarily in the same vein as Don is writing here, but I can identify with his feelings.

The lyrics are sheer genius. If I were to attempt to write another song, I would never be able to think of lyrics as sophisticated and poetic as these. I also had no idea what "egg and dart" referred to until I read GEF and Soda's explanations here.

Don's lead vocal is superb, laden with deep emotion, aching and longing. Following on from the comments here about lines flowing into each other, I particularly admire the lines that go thus:

And he's the darling of the chic
The flavour of the week
Is melting down
Your pretty summer dress
Baby, what a mess you're making

The double meanings in all these lines just blow me away. It makes me wonder how much time Don spent on these lyrics. The "flavour of the week" could be referring to both his lost love's new partner, as well as the ice cream that's melting down her "pretty summer dress". The "mess" that she's making could be both the ice cream melting as well as the new relationship that she's in. Well, that's the way I hear it, and the brilliance is awe-inspiring.

From a musical point of view, the fact that the song is written in the key of G# (sharp) impresses me too. How many pop/rock songs are written in G#? :shock:

I too would love to see the boys perform this live. I think I'll probably cry.

I've been educating my office mates with LROOE, and this morning I was singing WITW as I did my work. Nobody seemed to mind. :wink:

EaglesFreak
03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
From the first moment I heard Waiting in the Weeds, I was HOOKED. I quickly thumbed through the insert that came with the CD's and began learning the lyrics. The melody is so soothing. It's my favorite of all of the songs from Long Road out of Eden. I agree, it's a masterpiece!

SweetHolly
04-11-2008, 05:42 PM
I love this one too, especially when Timothy comes in there at the end. I do the same thing PLS, I go right in there with Timothy and forget all about Don!
I'm the same way. By the time Timothy comes in, I'm like "Who's Don?" :lol:

cmooreNC
05-15-2008, 09:06 AM
This is the top song on the album for me... the absolute "Wow, that is unbelievable Henley lyric and Eagles sound" that totally blows me away every time I hear it. And the lyrics have about three different layers, not just two. There are all the obvious "visual" things on the surface, but then the middle layer has story after story tucked in there ("lost love" stuff, "environmental issues" stuff, and "politics and greed in America" stuff). Of course greed and self-indulgance in America has been one of Don's favorite topics for years (decades?), but this song may just be presenting a little bit of his personal hope that the situation may change a little bit as he enters and goes through this "fall season" of his life. At least that's some of what I'm hearing, anyway.

But what a totally incredible and amazing song!

Have they been doing this one live at the shows? I sure hope so.

3 days 'til Atlanta (for me)! I am getting soooooo psyched!!! :)

sodascouts
05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
They've been doing it live. I'm DYING to hear it!

Glennsallnighter
05-15-2008, 12:10 PM
It was absolutely Gorgeous live in london. You are in for a treat. Hope you have a great night cNC!

Mrs Frey
05-16-2008, 02:22 AM
Cmoore, I was listening to this song on my flight back to Cape Town from London after I saw the Eagles perform on 20 March (LROOE was part of the in-flight entertainment), and I began crying - such was my emotion after having been so excited to see the boys, then seeing them and being happier than I've possibly ever been in my life, and then being reminded that it was all over already. I always feel emotional listening to this song, but at that moment it certainly brought on the waterworks. :blush:

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 06:53 PM
I made a video for this a few years ago and put it in the context of Don "waiting in the weeds" for his opportunity to have himself heard, whether it be as a solo artist or back with the Eagles.

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Is that video able to be viewed anymore?

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2012, 05:13 AM
I'm playing this right now. :inlove:
Exquisite.

And I agree with the earlier comments about the many layers of meaning. I heard Don's comment that the song was also the story of the band, and then I saw Soda's video which did an amazing job of showing the story of Glenn and Don. I would add that I also see it as the "love story" of the Eagles fans who were left Waiting In The Weeds (and definitely biding time with crows and sparrows!) when the band broke up - oh and between albums until this one came out!!! :p.

I love this song so much, the only thing I could possibly say against it is - I can't vacuum up spiders any more! :rofl:

chaim
11-16-2012, 10:16 AM
One of the best songs written in decades. I can't really think of anything else to say.

TimothyBFan
11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Love this song and it stands alone on this double album! Every word of this song is amazing. The verse with the county fair, I can see it, the ice cream, the ferris wheel. My favorite song on the album from the beginning.

Question for anyone who might know. The writing credit goes to Don and Stu. I know a few of the songs on the album give Stu writing credit. Anyone know if he's ever written for anyone else or anything besides off this album that we might know? Just curious. I'd like to know how much of the writing he's contributed to.

sodascouts
11-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Is that video able to be viewed anymore?

It's been taken off YouTube but I think you can find it on MySpace.

Question for anyone who might know. The writing credit goes to Don and Stu. I know a few of the songs on the album give Stu writing credit. Anyone know if he's ever written for anyone else or anything besides off this album that we might know? Just curious. I'd like to know how much of the writing he's contributed to.

According to AllMusic.com (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/mn0000749279), he wrote or co-wrote the following songs:

"My Past Is Present" - Rodney Crowell
"Tell Me the Truth" - Rodney Crowell
"My Own Damn Bed" - Julian Dawson
"Take My Time" - Kerri Clark

That's all I could find.

Houston Debutante
11-18-2012, 03:06 PM
This is your Waiting in the Weeds video, right, sodascouts?

http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/23111890

I LOVE IT.

sodascouts
11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, that's it. Glad you like it!

OntheBorder74
02-03-2016, 11:34 AM
I just before Glenn's sudden passing listened to Waiting in the Weeds fully having only heard snippets and it's an amazing Don song. An epic ballad ala Last Resort and particularly love Timothy's prominent harmony vocals and the "Darling of the chic" verse. It's up their with the Heart of the Matter in terms of Don's writing but I also think it's just as good as any of their 70s ballads like Lyin Eyes. For me it's rare to hear these classic bands produce a track as original and high quality as their best work but this for me should have been edited to a single when it came out, or name the LROOE album after it its that good. Wish I discovered it earlier..

Ive always been a dreamer
02-03-2016, 12:08 PM
OTB - I believe many of us here share your sentiment that Waiting in the Weeds is an absolutely gorgeous song - I know I do.

And since we already have a thread for the song, I went ahead and merged your thread with it.

Jonny Come Lately
02-03-2016, 07:22 PM
I just before Glenn's sudden passing listened to Waiting in the Weeds fully having only heard snippets and it's an amazing Don song. An epic ballad ala Last Resort and particularly love Timothy's prominent harmony vocals and the "Darling of the chic" verse. It's up their with the Heart of the Matter in terms of Don's writing but I also think it's just as good as any of their 70s ballads like Lyin Eyes. For me it's rare to hear these classic bands produce a track as original and high quality as their best work but this for me should have been edited to a single when it came out, or name the LROOE album after it its that good. Wish I discovered it earlier..

I very much agree with your post, very nicely put. :smile: It reminds me of exactly how I felt when I first heard the song a couple of years ago. It is among the finest lyrics Don has ever penned, although I also think Steuart Smith deserves a lot of credit for it as well because I believe he wrote the wonderful central chord sequence. It is, in my opinion, one of the top 15 Eagles songs of all time. I absolutely love the final couple of minutes with the beautiful combination of the harmony vocals, the piano and the mandolin. It's funny that you've mentioned this as yesterday marked exactly a year since I bought Long Road Out Of Eden (and thus completing my set of Eagles studio albums).

I hope you don't mind me asking OTB, but how familiar would you say you are with the rest of the LROOE album? Just curious because I myself tend to be a bit cynical towards 'comeback' albums and late career releases by bands, but I was impressed by the album and even better I've actually found it to be a grower over time rather than a fader.

OntheBorder74
02-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Thank you Dreamer this thread is perfect