PDA

View Full Version : Memorable Glenn sayings/lines

timfan
02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Glenn as leader of Eagles, had many lines he used regularly in concerts, with the media and when interacting with fans.. I was thinking in remembrance we might gather some of the most memorable of these.

I'll start with perhaps his most well know and IMO amusing in it's overuse:

"I'd like to dedicate this song to my first wife... Plaintiff!" :rockon:

GlennLover
02-02-2016, 06:05 PM
And of course, "I'm from Detroit - where mother is half a word".

UndertheWire
02-02-2016, 06:08 PM
We're the Eagles from Los Angeles.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks for making me smile with this thread

Prettymaid
02-02-2016, 09:33 PM
A rich old man, and she won't have to worry...much.

GlennLover
02-02-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm from Dettoit. Detroit, the city that gave us Ted Nugent & won't take him back.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-02-2016, 10:40 PM
"We wrote this song so long ago the Dead Sea was only sick."

Outlawman13
02-02-2016, 11:23 PM
LOL I love these!!

My songs grow on people like warts!

Prettymaid
02-02-2016, 11:30 PM
At the 2010 Indianapolis show...

"Check your ticket stubs - we're those darn Eagles."

NOLA
02-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Backstage right before the first HFO reunion concert:

"Glad to be with ya'. Hope I'm with ya' all night!"

And, of course, during the show:

"For the record, we never broke up. We just took a fourteen-year vacation."

sodascouts
02-03-2016, 01:17 AM
Good idea for a thread! I have a section on GFO for some of my fave quotes of his. Here's a joke that always makes me laugh:

"What do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless!"

chaim
02-03-2016, 01:45 AM
I think my favorite is: "Wow, a sell-out crowd! The last time I sold out was when I did that Pepsi commercial with Don Johnson." Shows how he could make fun of himself.

Although I don't find anything nice, cool or interesting in drugs, I have always found this one hilarious: "When you blow your nose and your handkerchief looks like the flag of Japan, you know you're doing too much." I'm not sure if he came up with that himself, but I love this kind of...use of words.

As a Randy Newman/Ron Mael fan I wish he had utilized this "comic talent" more in his lyrics lyric writing.

UndertheWire
02-03-2016, 05:04 AM
Here's a couple more jokes.

How many guitar players do you need to change a light bulb?
Five, one to change it and four to say "I can do that."

About Bill Szymzcyk:
He's rich, he should buy a vowel.

chaim
02-03-2016, 07:32 AM
About Bill Szymzcyk:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Who likes country rock in (fill in the city name) during PEF

UndertheWire
02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
This is from Cameron Crowe's 1975 Rolling Stone article. Earlier, they've been talking about how awards don't mean anything but a short while afterwards, they learn they've won a couple.

"Besides, we can’t be roguish underdogs anymore.” Frey grins and flips a cigarette into his mouth. “We have to be gracious winners.”

GlennLover
02-03-2016, 10:08 AM
"This is the Eagles Assisted Living tour", at LROOE concerts.

"We're that band that wouldn't get back together now we're the band that won't go away."

secondchances
02-03-2016, 10:39 AM
During the HOTE tour:

Don H. (paraphrased): We would sit around rehearsing and drinking lots of beer. Everything sounds good then.

Glenn: So drink up ladies and gentlemen!

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I recall hearing too that when he did a show in Hershey in Pennsylvania he sang again during PEF 'I wanna sleep with you in Chocolate tonight'.

UndertheWire
02-03-2016, 12:23 PM
A new one from the press line at the RRHOF a couple of years ago. It was directed at the photographers.

"That's enough of that nonsense. The next thing you know, I'll be recognised."

02-03-2016, 01:03 PM
About Bill Szymzcyk:

This one is very cute ... I had forgotten about it.

And then there's his intro to Take It to the Limit ...

"My wife calls this the credit card song."

Outlawman13
02-03-2016, 01:39 PM
Without a reunion, The Eagles are forever young like James Dean

UndertheWire
02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
I don't want to be 39 years old with a beer belly singing "'Take It Easy" because I need the money.

And about a reunion when he's in his 40s...

Never. They say, "Never say never. " Well, you can print it. It will never happen.

L101
02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
This is a great idea for a thread - Glenn really was a wiseguy :grin:

I don't remember any quotes from Glenn myself but I read a few on GFO and this one is pure Glenn:;-)

"Fourteen years ago I met Mrs. Right.... first name Always." (Peoria 2004)

NightMistBlue
02-03-2016, 03:22 PM
Personally, I dig "Show up and try every day" because it's good advice. I don't know if its from Glenn's fitness commercials for Bally (which I've never seen) or his songwriting advice. Maybe both.

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Twice he caught my eye during 'The Long Run'. When Don sang 'Did you do it for love, did you do it for money' Glenn :heart: mouthed at me 'I did it for the money'. Then we both laughed and he went on with the sone. NYC in 2013 and London in 2014. Unforgettable moments now. At least I can say that I valued any interactions I ever had with Glenn :heart: and never took him for granted.

shunlvswx
02-03-2016, 03:54 PM
This one has my other favorite group in this quote. This quote will always be in my heart. The Osmonds of course.

We weren't the Rolling Stones and we weren't the Osmonds. We were somewhere in between.

UndertheWire
02-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I liked, "You can be in the gutter talking about all your missed opportunities, or you can be successful, and pull the other guy out of the gutter."

But not forgetting, "Just make us look cool."

JennyCH
02-03-2016, 04:49 PM
At the 2010 Indianapolis show...

"Check your ticket stubs - we're those darn Eagles."

That's funny!!

chaim
02-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Twice he caught my eye during 'The Long Run'. When Don sang 'Did you do it for love, did you do it for money' Glenn :heart: mouthed at me 'I did it for the money'. Then we both laughed and he went on with the sone. NYC in 2013 and London in 2014. Unforgettable moments now. At least I can say that I valued any interactions I ever had with Glenn :heart: and never took him for granted.

That story's so great! :hilarious:

Brooke
02-03-2016, 05:25 PM
Ga, that's wonderful!

Freypower
02-03-2016, 05:33 PM

I had that happen in Brisbane last year. The moment was shared with myself & a couple of people next to me.

Outlawman13
02-03-2016, 05:44 PM
That is so awesome GA and FP! I would've loved and cherished those moments for sure!

I want to sleep with you in some chocolate tonight
(LOL a lyric change to Peaceful Easy Feeling in Hershey, PA 1975)

shunlvswx
02-03-2016, 05:58 PM
What was the quote about hamburger and sex? I forgot how it went.

JennyCH
02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
"People did stuff to the Eagles." soooo true. :applause:

Outlawman13
02-03-2016, 06:24 PM
These songs are so old that when they were written, the Dead Sea was only sick (This one always has me laughing)

shunlvswx
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM
These songs are so old that when they were written, the Dead Sea was only sick (This one always has me laughing)

I guess everybody using the Dead Sea joke. My other favorite group would say, "we're so old that we remembered when the Dead Sea was only sick."

SoaringRockyMountainWay
02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
"Perfection is not an accident."

Jonny Come Lately
02-03-2016, 07:26 PM
This might be a more unusual one but it has always amused me in the introduction to the 1973 BBC version of Witchy Woman:

'Anybody read the book Zelda? A book about F Scott Fitzgerald's wife. Well she was weird. She was weiiiird.'

sodascouts
02-03-2016, 07:50 PM
What was the quote about hamburger and sex? I forgot how it went.

Here it is:

On How Eating a Cheeseburger is Like Sex
"Can't wait to get a good cheeseburger. It's so funny... I went to the Hard Rock and I went to the American Disaster - I got my hamburger - and I picked it up with my hands. Which is what we do, you know - french fries and hamburgers, man, to hell with utensils! You just pick 'em up with your hands and all these people in the restaurants look at you like - 'Whew! What's he doing?!' I see these people with the hamburger, man... [I]You gotta get messy or it ain't no fun! It's just like makin' love!" (London 1973)

Outlawman13
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM
LOL OHH man!! I love this quote!! Gotta love Glenn!

shunlvswx
02-04-2016, 01:00 AM
Thanks, Soda. That was a funny quote.

GlennLover
02-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Here it is:

On How Eating a Cheeseburger is Like Sex
"Can't wait to get a good cheeseburger. It's so funny... I went to the Hard Rock and I went to the American Disaster - I got my hamburger - and I picked it up with my hands. Which is what we do, you know - french fries and hamburgers, man, to hell with utensils! You just pick 'em up with your hands and all these people in the restaurants look at you like - 'Whew! What's he doing?!' I see these people with the hamburger, man... [I]You gotta get messy or it ain't no fun! It's just like makin' love!" (London 1973)

His delivery of this little rant is hilarious! Wish you could hear it.

JennyCH
02-04-2016, 12:30 PM
This might be a more unusual one but it has always amused me in the introduction to the 1973 BBC version of Witchy Woman: 'Anybody read the book Zelda? A book about F Scott Fitzgerald's wife. Well she was weird. She was weiiiird.'

I know. The visual was funny (perhaps hot) too. ;-) And when Bernie said Witchy Woman was out last summer...around Halloween.. and Glenn said, "That's not Halloweeeeen."

02-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Here's one of my favorite lines of Glenn's ...

"We set out to become a band for our time, but sometimes if you do a good enough job, you become a band for all time."

AlreadyGone95
02-04-2016, 12:56 PM
I love the one comparing sex to hamburgers! :hilarious:

I've always loved his quote on heroes.

"I don’t know that we should always have heroes. We tend to make too much out of them. The people we usually call heroes aren't heroes at all. The heroes, to me, are the Albert Schweitzers of the world, those who strive for peace, and also my dad, y'know…to me a hero’s a guy who goes out and busts his ass for 10 hours a day five days a week so his kid has school clothes, so his kid can get an education. These are the kind of people we should look up to, people who work hard for a living and sacrifice and give some of themselves. It’s unfortunate that we always seem to make heroes of popular entertainers and people with money. Money is seldom accompanied by taste." (Melody Maker 1985)

And on the lighter side:

"I named this last album Strange Weather.... and I'm never going to name a record 'End of the World.' Because I have been experiencing strange weather all around America. Hurricane Iniki flattened my house in Hawaii, Hurricane Andrew flattened half of Miami, we had to cancel gigs... we had tropical storm Danielle follow us up the East Coast, raining on all our outdoor dates... Next album: 'Happy, bitchin', lazy life.'" (San Diego 1992)

"How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb? Five. One to do it and four to go, 'I can do that!'" (San Diego 1992)

"I own a lot of guitars. And the reason is, I'm looking for one I can play." (San Diego 1992)

ETA: I love the band for all time quote. It really fits the band.

02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
I forget exactly how it's worded, but the "you set out to be a band for your time, and sometimes, you become a band for all time".

AG - My previous post is the exact quote transcribed from the HOTE documentary.

And I always loved the quote about him owning a lot of guitars.

AlreadyGone95
02-04-2016, 01:19 PM
AG - My previous post is the exact quote transcribed from the HOTE documentary.

And I always loved the quote about him owning a lot of guitars.

Sorry, I was in the middle of typing my post and didn't see that you had already posted it.

NightMistBlue
02-04-2016, 01:42 PM
"I own a lot of guitars. And the reason is, I'm looking for one I can play." (San Diego 1992)

That is perfect! I'm going to use it to justify buying another guitar.

buffyfan145
02-04-2016, 10:10 PM
These are all such great quotes. He was so hilarious. :lol: I loved finding out that "Witchy Woman" was about Zelda Fitzgerald as F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite writers so I totally get why he said that. And that cheeseburger one and the chocolate one. LOL

02-04-2016, 10:30 PM
That San Diego '92 show was one of Glenn's best solo shows ever - he was so talkative, funny, and charming. Here's another quote from that show ...

"You get up in the morning, you go out there, you fight, you slug away, you deal with different obstacles we have in our life - but we have to extract joy from living every single day."

Outlawman13
02-04-2016, 11:26 PM
That has to be my favvie saying of Glenn's! So very true

shunlvswx
02-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Here's one of my favorite lines of Glenn's ...

"We set out to become a band for our time, but sometimes if you do a good enough job, you become a band for all time."

I loved that line. My favorite quote of all from Glenn and my favorite from HOTE. I was going to post that line, but never a chance to it.

AlreadyGone95
02-05-2016, 02:11 AM
I believe that this one comes from the doc as well.

"People didn't just listen to the Eagles. They did things to the Eagles."

I can't remember what things Glenn mentioned, but it's true. The Eagles are a part of the soundtrack of many people's lives.

GlennLover
02-05-2016, 06:50 AM
"God likes a quiet giver". When a radio host wants him to talk about his charity work that people don't realize he does.

"These are the jokes!" When an audience isn't laughing at his jokes.

GlennLover
02-05-2016, 06:52 AM
In response to Taylor's early teen tantrums - "You're going to need a car - and I'm the DMV".

buffyfan145
02-05-2016, 09:08 AM
I found the one I wanted to share. It's from Cameron Crowe's tribute article he wrote for Rolling Stone about Glenn and their friendship.

"When I once told him about a girl I was in love with from afar, a girl I was sure I needed to impress with a better 'act,' Frey reacted hugely. 'No!' he said with a pirate's smile. 'You don't need an act — all you need is to be you.' He leaned in close. 'If she can't smell your qualifications, move on.'"

If anyone wondering if it's familiar the exact line was said by the Mike Damone character in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and Cameron revealed in that article that like Russell Hammond in "Almost Famous", Mike was based off Glenn as well and Mike's friendship with Mark is again Glenn and Cameron's. Makes me wonder if there's a Glenn based character in all his movies as Glenn actually played a character Cameron wrote for him in "Jerry Maguire" and my favorite is "Say Anything" so looks like I need to rewatch. :smile:

02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
These are the jokes!" When an audience isn't laughing at his jokes.

Or sometimes he'd say "C'mon that's damn funny."

A couple of Glenn's descriptions of Joe ...

"Joe is an interesting bunch of guys."

"...the master blaster of the stratocaster."

Brooke
02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
"Perfection is not an accident."

This one is my favorite from the HotE dvd! :heart:

Freypower
02-05-2016, 07:03 PM
OK, I have one. In my view it should not be censored, so if you are offended, please forgive me this one.

'Being in the Eagles was a fucking blast'.

Glennsallnighter
02-05-2016, 09:04 PM
OK, I have one. In my view it should not be censored, so if you are offended, please forgive me this one.

'Being in the Eagles was a fucking blast'.

As moderator of the Glenn :heart: forum FP I think that quote is good enough to bring through to the next page, it just sums up his life and attitude!!

mimi g
02-05-2016, 09:50 PM
In June 1978, Glenn & Henley wrote a very funny & tongue-in-cheek article in Rolling Stone magazine after their famous Eagles vs. RS writers baseball game which they won. The article was titled "Eagles Land on RS," and ended like this: "....(the RS team) left 13 runners stranded while committing 5 errors. In the end it was errors that cost RS the game. Their first error was to call the Eagles sissies in Random Notes. Their second error was to compete with us in front of girls." --- that's so cute!

mimi g
02-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Here's an excerpt from a 1979 interview in Rolling Stone with Glenn by Charles M. Young. It's not funny, but it's interesting about their relationship & women:

- What's it like writing with Henley?
It's hard to be friends when every time you're together you're expected to come up with something brilliant. There are no innocent dinners. Sometimes I'm real active, & sometimes I'm just the guy who holds the fan in the emperor's court. It sounds weird, but he's my longest, successful romance---almost eight years now. The trick is to be able to disagree and move on. We've tried writing with other guys, but the only one who's worked out is JD. I get a lot of satisfaction from having conspirators. It's great to go to your buddies after the song's a hit and say, "We didn't know it, but we knew it, didn't we?"

- I count 3 songs--Witchy Woman, Good Day in Hell, & One of These Nights where the Eagles equate women with the Devil. Has your perception of women changed over the years?
I constantly ask myself what I think of women. Lately I've been feeling less physical. I'm through my playmate period, ya know, when you meet a real pretty girl & immediately attach all these great qualities to her. But women are objects for men, whether or not sex objects. They're a goal---that's the way we're brought up. Maybe there's something wrong with that. The Devil imagery was just a way of describing a seductive look.

- But the Devil is evil. Aren't you equating sex with evil?
Yeah, well, we're speaking to America...

WalshFan88
02-05-2016, 10:34 PM
"Hey, I didn't make a big deal out of Hotel California. The 18 million people that bought it did."

Prettymaid
02-05-2016, 10:50 PM
This is one of my all-time favorite Glenn quotes. It makes me smile every time I hear it. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere else except for this long segment. Just go to 5:40. ;)

http://youtu.be/17VvccJpP4I

Victim of Love
02-06-2016, 12:21 AM

I've often wondered, despite countless comments and statements to the contrary, if somewhere in the back of their minds they didn't always believe that a reunion would eventually happen. His delivery of that line for the first time in HFO resonates with innuendo. He told some great jokes during the shows and made some profound statements in various interviews thru the years but this one will always be THE classiest and most classic of all in my mind.

AlreadyGone95
02-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Some more of the ones that Soda has on GFO.

On the Eagles:
With us, it's almost like the chapters keep ending, but the book isn't finished." (Los Angeles Times 1999)

On life in general:
"[Yesterday is] a place I don't spend any time." (Melody Maker 1985)

"I'm too busy living to think about dying." (Melody Maker 1985)

I think that the last one was still the truth even 30 years after he said it.

UndertheWire
02-06-2016, 02:08 PM
A song lyric that comes to mind when reading about all the things he was intending to do.

People don't run out of dreams, people run out of time.

timfan
02-06-2016, 03:06 PM
“Your first songs are going to suck, but they’re the only way to get to the really good ones.”

Outlawman13
02-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Eagles huh? You know, I don't think so!!
LOL I love it when Glenn said this on the documentary

Prettymaid
02-06-2016, 05:04 PM

I've often wondered, despite countless comments and statements to the contrary, if somewhere in the back of their minds they didn't always believe that a reunion would eventually happen. His delivery of that line for the first time in HFO resonates with innuendo. He told some great jokes during the shows and made some profound statements in various interviews thru the years but this one will always be THE classiest and most classic of all in my mind.

I remember reading somewhere that Glenn said he saw other bands going their separate ways for awhile to work on solo/other projects without breaking up and he never thought of that as an option. He thought it was all or nothing. But if he knew that was an option maybe they wouldn't have broken up.

GlennLover
02-06-2016, 05:47 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Glenn said he saw other bands going their separate ways for awhile to work on solo/other projects without breaking up and he never thought of that as an option. He thought it was all or nothing. But if he knew that was an option maybe they wouldn't have broken up.

Yes, ha said many times in more recent years that the Eagles should have just taken a two year break rather than disbanding altogether.

02-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Here's a nice one ...

"Success in life for me is not measured by record sales anymore. It’s measured by how full a life I can lead. That sort of thing is more important to me than whether I sell... whether my album is gold, platinum, or turquoise doesn’t really matter to me. I know what I do. I make records, I write songs, and I dabble in these other things, and I just try to do the best I can and try to have a good time while I’m doing it. My job is to entertain people – sometimes inspire." (Strange Weather European Press Kit 1992)

ETA: This quote is similar to what Glenn said to me that I described in my tribute in another thread. He appeared to me to be a very content, satisfied, and fulfilled man and it brings me a lot of comfort knowing that he was happy with his life.

Glennsallnighter
02-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Well he certainly succeeded in all of that Dreamer. Thanks for posting. It really sums him up to a tee. Glenn :heart: was a wonderful man, talented versatile yet humble enough to be grateful for his gifts. The world is a poorer place without him that's for sure

AlreadyGone95
02-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Here's a nice one ...

"Success in life for me is not measured by record sales anymore. It’s measured by how full a life I can lead. That sort of thing is more important to me than whether I sell... whether my album is gold, platinum, or turquoise doesn’t really matter to me. I know what I do. I make records, I write songs, and I dabble in these other things, and I just try to do the best I can and try to have a good time while I’m doing it. My job is to entertain people – sometimes inspire." (Strange Weather European Press Kit 1992)

Turquoise :rofl:. I love Glenn's sense of humor.

I agree GA, the world is definitely poorer without him.

Outlawman13
02-07-2016, 10:58 PM
LOL I do love this man!! We sure did lose an incredible man whose gifts really did light this world up!!

NightMistBlue
02-08-2016, 10:55 AM
A song lyric that comes to mind when reading about all the things he was intending to do.

People don't run out of dreams, people run out of time.

What song is that from?

UndertheWire
02-08-2016, 11:05 AM
It's from River of Dreams

02-08-2016, 02:16 PM
I have always loved that line from River of Dreams. It is more meaningful now than ever.

And Glenn's typical response whenever there was an adoring shout out from someone in the audience ...

"Thank you, Uncle Bob!"

AlreadyGone95
02-09-2016, 06:42 AM
I thought of that lyric from River of Dreams so much in the first few days after Glenn's passing, that I made it part of my signature. Jack and Glenn really knocked it out of the ballpark with that song, IMO.

secondchances
02-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Someone who knew Glenn wrote this one to Bob Lefsetz and it was in his column today:

"We're all going to hell in a Honda; drink the good wine now!"

Amen!

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 07:01 PM
"and here's where it all began..."

GlennLover
02-10-2016, 11:00 PM
"What a concept"

02-11-2016, 01:07 PM
"Teens dug me."

:thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
"Teens dug me."

:thumbsup:

Even some teens of this generation dig him! :D

02-14-2016, 12:30 PM
I was just looking at some more of Glenn's quotes and I saw that the HotE documentary was not the first time Glenn had made this statement. I'm sure I had seen this before, but I had totally forgotten about it ...

"What happens is, if you make music for your time, and you do it well enough, sometimes it becomes music for all time." (European Press Conference 1996)

And here's an analogy about songwriting that I like a lot ...

"[Don and I] agonize over the lyric. We analyze every 'and' and 'the' and 'but.' It's like buildin' a table, an' then once it's built, deciding how much time you want to spend sanding and glazing it." (Phonograph Record 1975)

02-15-2016, 02:29 PM
I thought I'd bring this over from another thread. I had read where Jack Tempchin told a version of this story before and I think it's vintage Glenn. Jack told the story again at the Troubadour tribute for Glenn on Saturday night. It refers to the first time Jack and Glenn got together to write songs. He says he goes to Glenn's house and there were about a hundred lit candles all over the house. When he inquired if the candles were for a date Glenn may have later that evening, Glenn replied ...

‘No, man, that’s (for) the muse. See, she’s up there, and there’s a lot of guys tonight trying to write a song, and we want to make sure she comes down and visits us.”

MortSahlFan
02-17-2016, 11:54 AM
"They shouldn't have given me all this money"

the way he says it, his facial expressions, he's a true humorist.

NightMistBlue
02-17-2016, 01:09 PM
I thought I'd bring this over from another thread. I had read where Jack Tempchin told a version of this story before and I think it's vintage Glenn. Jack told the story again at the Troubadour tribute for Glenn on Saturday night. It refers to the first time Jack and Glenn got together to write songs. He says he goes to Glenn's house and there were about a hundred lit candles all over the house. When he inquired if the candles were for a date Glenn may have later that evening, Glenn replied ...

‘No, man, that’s (for) the muse. See, she’s up there, and there’s a lot of guys tonight trying to write a song, and we want to make sure she comes down and visits us.”

Wow, that's an interesting one.

The one Kay cited from 1975 is also interesting - it jibes with what JD described about their writing process, agonizing over every word. Curious to me that one hears about them taking great pains with the lyrics in particular.

Though I guess they were just as perfectionist with the music. I seem to recall in that 1979 Rolling Stone article, Henley was working on a bass drum hit for hours.

travlnman2
02-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Glenn. We can get all of our frustrations out on the baseball fields and not on each other when were working.
Reporter: What Frustrations?
Glenn: I HAVENT BEEN GETING LAID.:hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
02-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Glenn. We can get all of our frustrations out on the baseball fields and not on each other when were working.
Reporter: What Frustrations?
Glenn: I HAVENT BEEN GETING LAID.:hilarious:

:rofl::rofl:

That part in the doc always cracks me up.

travlnman2
02-19-2016, 04:39 PM
:rofl::rofl:

That part in the doc always cracks me up.

same.

Glennsallnighter
02-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Me too

Another one which I read years ago and loved but has a rather sad ring to it now

'I'm too busy livin to think about dying'.

I guess thats the way he lived - busy, and because he didn't stop for death, it stopped for him.

02-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Glenn's response to Soda about going to hell ...

“My ticket’s at will call but it’s not time for me to pick it up yet.”

I, for one, believe he won't ever be picking that ticket up.

02-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Here's a funny line from Glenn's 2006 Mt. Pleasant show ...

"I'm switching to Red Bull now....this seems to be the new senior rock drink. It's like speed with B vitamins."

buffyfan145
02-28-2016, 05:08 PM
LOL :laugh: That reminds me too of their slogan "Red Bull gives you wings".

AlreadyGone95
02-29-2016, 12:31 PM
I agree Dreamer; I don't think that he ever picked up that ticket.

Love that Redbull quote. I have a feeling that sometime in the near future, while in college, I might have to down a few of those.

Dawn
04-11-2016, 11:51 PM
People don’t care how you feel. You need to paint pictures, you need to tell stories. That’s what people want - Glenn Frey

July 10, 2012 PBS Tavis Smiley Show Part 1 of 2

Note: If you haven't watched Glenn's two-part interview with Tavis Smiley you're in for a treat - it's one of my favorites - he's so relaxed and doesn't hold back expressing his love of music, appreciation for fans, great sense of humor, intellect, etc

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/musician-glenn-frey-part-1/

===========

I’m kind of technophobic. - Glenn Frey

July 11, 2012 PBS Tavis Smiley Show Part 2 of 2

In this segment among other topics discussed Glenn talks about his interest in writing a book and how frustrating it was to try and use a computer to write an outline - "just give me a legal pad" he said.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/musician-glenn-frey-part-2/

---------

Love the video clip of Glenn performing one of his songs from After Hours - to think that was just four years ago. :weep:

Dawn
04-13-2016, 12:51 AM
"I told Alex this is now 'Flat Bed Ford to Dark Side,' " Frey said with a wink. "I told him, 'We're not really the cheery sort, Alex, you know? You think you know dark? We'll show you dark. " - Glenn Frey

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ms-archives-glenn-frey-remakes-the-past-20160118-story.html

AlreadyGone95
04-13-2016, 02:36 AM
"I told Alex this is now 'Flat Bed Ford to Dark Side,' " Frey said with a wink. "I told him, 'We're not really the cheery sort, Alex, you know? You think you know dark? We'll show you dark. " - Glenn Frey

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ms-archives-glenn-frey-remakes-the-past-20160118-story.html

I hadn't read that article before, and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting it. Again the phrase "so full of life" describes Glenn so well. The only part that hit me was "it won't be 2 decades before my next solo album". :weep: :(

Dawn
04-13-2016, 08:44 AM
I hadn't read that article before, and I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting it. Again the phrase "so full of life" describes Glenn so well. The only part that hit me was "it won't be 2 decades before my next solo album". :weep: :(

So true. :cry:

FYI - The article was done just before his concert at the Wiltern and he talks about the challenge of combining the songs from After Hours with fan favorites which inspired me to see if we could find the setlist for that concert. Don't know how accurate this list is but here's what I found.

May 26, 2012

1. Peaceful Easy Feeling

2. Tequila Sunrise

3. Lyin' Eyes

4. Route 66
(Bobby Troup cover)

5. For Sentimental Reasons
(Tommy Dorsey cover)

6. The Look of Love
(Burt Bacharach cover)

7. Here's to Life

8. Caroline, No
(Brian Wilson cover)

9. Same Girl

10. After Hours

11. The Heat Is On

12. Smuggler's Blues

13. Take It to the Limit

14. The One You Love

15. You Belong to the City

Encore:

16. Desperado

17. Take It Easy

Source:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/glenn-frey/2012/wiltern-theatre-los-angeles-ca-33dff8b5.html

Brooke
04-13-2016, 10:11 AM
I don't remember reading that either. Great interview!

But this last line-

"Nah, that's not what this is. This has been a journey for me. And it's not done yet. And it's going to influence, I'm sure, all the music I make after this. I have a lot of good things in my ear."

:sad:

NightMistBlue
04-13-2016, 11:29 AM
The Wiltern is a beautiful old theater, that would have been a fantastic show to see. Ahh, regrets.

Thank you for the article. Glenn owned a recording studio in Santa Monica? Interesting.

Dawn
04-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Speaking of the Wiltern - Glenn Frey talks about that performance in the Tavis Smiley interview (Part 2). Apparently it was so much fun at the After Party he wanted to hang around an extra half hour LOL ...

----------------------

Frey: It’s nice to have someone to share your ups and downs with. It means a lot more when you can come home and talk about it. Great wife, great kids. I have a rule, which is never brag about your marriage. Just make sure everything’s going good.

But I’m very lucky. Marriage, children, that’s the real world. The Eagles is a vacation. The Eagles is – I used to say I only go on the road with the Eagles because that’s where people do what I tell them. (Laughter)

I just played the Wiltern with the orchestra. It was a crowning night, wonderful performance, Santa Monica High School orchestra, everything’s great. We’re at the after party, and all of a sudden it’s 1:30 and they’re getting ready to close the place.

I said, “I think I’m going to stay for another half-hour.” (Laughter) Because I know what’s waiting. Garbage, dishwasher, dog doo. But that’s the real world, and that’s the biggest challenge and the biggest reward.

Glennsallnighter
04-13-2016, 06:17 PM
I was at it. It was amazing start to finish.

Freypower
04-13-2016, 06:32 PM
So was I, and it was perfect, and I remember buying the LA Times the day before the show feeling that their arts section would have an interview. I think it was the weekend paper so it stayed on sale long enough for GA to get a copy (I can't remember if Soda did).

NMB, the studio is called the Doghouse & it can be seen in the After Hours trailer & other photos.

If anyone would like to read about the Wiltern show:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3704

The three of us had a fantastic time. ETA: Just reread the thread. What memories. I especially recommend GA's review to you. I never could be that detailed.

Dawn
04-13-2016, 08:01 PM
So was I, and it was perfect, and I remember buying the LA Times the day before the show feeling that their arts section would have an interview. I think it was the weekend paper so it stayed on sale long enough for GA to get a copy (I can't remember if Soda did).

NMB, the studio is called the Doghouse & it can be seen in the After Hours trailer & other photos.

If anyone would like to read about the Wiltern show:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3704

The three of us had a fantastic time. ETA: Just reread the thread. What memories. I especially recommend GA's review to you. I never could be that detailed.

What a concert - how great you were there!! Thanks for the link - I'm heading on over to read.

Dawn
04-13-2016, 08:04 PM
I was at it. It was amazing start to finish.

So glad you were there!! Does the set list sound accurate?

Freypower
04-13-2016, 08:06 PM
So glad you were there!! Does the set list sound accurate?

Yes, that was the set list.

Dawn
04-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Yes, that was the set list.

Thank you! I just read the reviews in the thread about the concert - sounds like a real-life magical evening. Glenn Frey AND the Wiltern Theater - I know I'd have been over the moon!

Prettymaid
04-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Thank you! I just read the reviews in the thread about the concert - sounds like a real-life magical evening. Glenn Frey AND the Wiltern Theater - I know I'd have been over the moon!

And just think about this - GA came over from Ireland and FP came all the way from Australia - just to see that show.

04-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Kudos to GA and FP for traveling so far. And Soda was there too.

And Dreamer wasn't able to go because of stupid work! :mad: :sad:

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2016, 06:57 AM
What a concert - how great you were there!! Thanks for the link - I'm heading on over to read.

Thanks for the recommendation on my review FP. Funny, after reading this I went over and reread our reviews too!! I'll never forget it and now I am so glad that I did that trip.

NightMistBlue
04-14-2016, 11:18 AM
GA, that was lovely. I read it while listening to Glenn sing, "For Sentimental Reasons." :cry:

What's the story with the cute Frey'd t-shirt - did you have that made or was it official?

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Its an official shirt. Glenn :heart: did a solo show in 2008 in Crosslake and Soda was there. She showed pictures of the t-shirts that they had on sale. I called the hotel the day after the show and was talking to a lovely lady who told me that they still had shirts and even better were on discount. So I bought a bundle of 3 which included that one.

UndertheWire
06-06-2016, 08:22 AM
From a write-up the Celebrity Fight Night XVI, back in 2010:

Best quote of the night, from Glenn Frey, who told the audience: “Back in 1970, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther and I hit on every waitress at the Troubador. But they were only interested in one guy: Kris Kristofferson.”
http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/06/04/muhammad-ali-flashback-fight-night-raised-millions-ever-year-for-parkinsons-disease-research

sodascouts
06-08-2016, 08:03 PM
I find that hard to believe! lol

UndertheWire
06-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Since then, I've read that Kris Kristofferson also performed that night, so it was a nice tip of the hat from Glenn.

UndertheWire
06-27-2016, 12:08 PM
Possibly a new one. The context was that most PGA golfers were voting for Bush in 1997, but one of the exceptions quotes Glenn.

Andrade points out that pro golfers are simply voting with their wallets, not necessarily their hearts. He recites a quote from singer/songwriter Glenn Frey to illustrate his point.
"You only become conservative," Andrade said, "when you have something to conserve."
source (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2004-10-22/sports/0410220226_1_billy-andrade-pga-tour-golf)

Henley Honey
07-04-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm paraphrasing, but at his NYU lecture I remember his line -- memorable to me at least; about songwriting, he said: "I love the self-exploration. I never grow tired of it. I love the pain and suffering that must go into it. It's never the same. It's always different."

It may not be a lyric or a song intro, but it's memorable to me.

sodascouts
07-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Ah yes. Happy memories!

07-09-2016, 09:46 PM
I know! :jealous: