PDA

View Full Version : CMA Awards

Maleah
11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
I thought I'd start a topic here because I wanted to talk about everyone, not just "the guys" and I didn't want to hijack their thread. lol So without delay, here are my highlights (and a couple of low points :shock: ) - ;)

*HIGH POINTS*

The guys sounded great! I don't think it was their BEST performance....but I think it's really hard for artists at awards shows to get their sound mixed to their liking. Anyway, they looked absolutely FABULOUS! How great did Joe look in those jeans??? Awesome! Loved Don's hair! It was weird not to see him playing drums though. lol I guess everyone who said that Joe didn't play the guitar solo got their proof. lol

Keith Urban - How awesome was he? First of all he looked absolutely gorgeous! Secondly, he turned in such a passionate performance. I think it was honestly one of the best I've seen from him!

Martina McBride - words can't descibe how much I love Martina McBride :D She's awesome! I love that song and she's always such a classy, beautiful lady!

Carrie Underwood - It's kind of getting on my nerves how she's everywhere and winning everything, but let's face it.......the girl can flat out SING!! She did a great job on "So Small."

Josh Turner - How cute is he? Seriously he's adorable! I love that deep, rich voice!

Kellie Pickler - Normally I'm not a huge fan, but that was SUCH a touching song.......especially knowing the story behind it. (Her Mom and Dad left her at a young age and her Dad ended up in prison) When she cried all the way through the end.......I cried too! I'm tearing up just talking about it again!

Brooks & Dunn - not many people can just stand up there and just sing......but Ronnie Dunn is one of those people that can sing a song like that one (and especially "Believe"!!!!) and give me goosebumps

that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll be reminded of more when any of you guys comment. lol OH and Reba and LeAnn Rimes did really good together.

*low points*

Ok.........................Rascal Flatts........................how absolutely crusingly horrible was that performance with Jamie Fox? Seriously...I think he was sick because he looked really pale and he couldn't even hit the easy notes. They did good the first performance! What went so horribly wrong on this one????? Oh my goodnes that was SOOOO bad! Even Jamie didn't sound that great!

Kid Rock & Gretchen Wilson - Somebody needs to tell Mr. Rock not to sniff, swallow, or inject anything before being on tv :roll:

Maleah
11-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Sorry for the limited poll choices. They wouldn't let me choose as many as I wanted :? so i just went with my favorites and a couple I thought would be popular lol

And I forgot to mention that Little Big Town was great! That guy on the left is such a cutie :D

And I'm not a fan of Sugarland but she did really good on that song!

EasyFeeling
11-08-2007, 04:28 AM
I can't say anything, I have to wait until I get to see the show. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. But I can't help myself and voted for Keith even if I haven't watched his performance so far. But from what you've said... 8)

Maleah
11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
oh my gosh....he did so good EF!!! I love that song anyway, but he just put everything into it. And it was so sweet at the one part he goes "Everybody needs somebody sometimes.....you know even I do." I'm not positive if that was the phrasing but it was just awesome! I can't wait for you to see it!

EasyFeeling
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm going through hell because I can't watch it NOW! :help: I want to go home!! NOW!

Brooke
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Good idea, Maleah! I have ALWAYS watched the CMA's and just love it. I don't love all country music, but a lot of it.

The Eagles looked fabulous and sounded great, but I agree, not their best. They seemed a little stiff and uneasy. Very wierd not seeing Don at the drums. I know he doesn't play them solo, but he needs to play them as much as possible with the Eagles. Especially at a show like that just to remind people who he is and what he does! Especially since they have been out of the loop for so long.

Something I noticed on several of the performers. It seems they tried to dress it up a bit rather than wear their normal permormance looks. In several cases, I didn't quite get it. For instance Kenny Chesney's pleated slacks and button up shirt. It was just wierd seeing him in that rather than his tight jeans and t-shirt. He sounded great though. He's always very humble.

Keith looks best in the jeans and t-shirt, too. He had on the dressier black shirt on in his set and sounded wonderful as usual. I liked his suit without the jacket too. :heart:

Jennifer Nettles from Sugarland is usually so cute in her jeans and t's and necklaces. Her suit was strange last night. I loved her performance on Stay. In her video for that she actually broke down and cried while singing. I really like them.

I'm a bit tired of Carrie, too, although she sounded great and looked beautiful. I think Taylor Swift may give her a run for her money. 17 years old and writing her own songs! I thinks she's so cute and genuine.

Rascal Flatts...yeah what was that? Their first song was ok, but that last one with Jamie.....aweful! And why did Jamie kiss the lead singer (Gary, I think) on the neck?! :shock: Not good!

I didn't know the story about Kellie Pickler. When she broke down and cried I thought "oh my goodness!" She's changed so much from Idol that I'm not sure I like her. She was such a sweet, innocent thing on that and now she's done a 180!

And why was Kid Rock even there? He is just too wierd for me. Gretchen needs to choose her friends more wisely. He won't further her career I don't believe! :roll:

EasyFeeling
11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh, can't believe the Eagles were not as good as usual. :shock:

Brooke
11-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, they were really good, but like I said, they seemed a little stiff or uncomfortable or something. Glenn and Don both had fresh haircuts!

Oh, I voted for Keith for best performance! No surprise there, huh?! :inlove: But really, I thought most of the performances were really good.

I liked Leann Rimes comments when she first came out. "I've been doing the CMA's for 13 years now. 1 marriage and no arrests!" :lol:

I love Little Big Town. They are all so cute and I love their harmonies. They have taken over the Dixie Chicks place for me. (Notice they (DC) didn't win in their category and I guess they weren't there cause I never saw a pic of them.) They (LBT) kind of have a unique style about them and remind me of the DC because of their funky dress, but I like them much, much more.

And Martina. Loved her song, didn't like her outfit on stage. She's a powerhouse singer.

Maleah
11-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Jamie Fox and Gary have been good friends for quite a while, I'm assuming that's why he kissed his neck/cheek or whatever he did. I honestly think Gary was sick. A friend and I were talking about it at work and she thought the same. He was quite pale and had bags under his eyes, plus he might have been having trouble with his earpiece because he kept fiddling around with it and then just yanked it out.

I don't know what was up with Martina's stage outfit. The dress she WAS wearing was gorgeous!

sodascouts
11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I was so distracted looking for the Eagles that I really didn't appreciate most of the first acts, but I remember being struck by a few things especially:

Highlights:
- I love George Strait. My sister gave me a box set about 15 years ago and ever since I've thought he was great. I was delighted that he won an award, as did his songwriter.
- Keith Urban certain looked and sounded good!
- Picker's tearful rendition of her song - wow. The entire crowd was moved. When she first stumbled, the audience started cheering and clapping to support her. At the end, there were even people in the boonies joining in the standing ovation (VERY rare!) I was one of them.

Lowlights:
- KID ROCK. Get that jerk off of the stage!
- For some reason I got the vibe that the Sugarland vocalist was forcing her tears to re-enact her famous sob-fest video. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was nothing like the tears of Pickler.
- Rascal Flatts and Jamie Fox - I didn't think they were as bad as some of you guys do, but I was unimpressed. Jamie actually outshone the Rascal Flatts guy there. Maybe he WAS sick, but he didn't seem to be sick earlier... who knows?

A personal highlight for me that didn't get shown on the TV was all the cool retro CMA appearances they'd show during commercial breaks. That's the country I remember - Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys, Kenny Rogers, Barbara Mandrell - I was sitting there singing along and clapping to a 25-year-old video of "All the Gold in California." Great lyrics. "All the gold in California is in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills, in somebody else's name." lol

What a great trip!

Molly
11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Before the "How Long" video started playing on the Country Music Channel -I had never heard of many of the singers/groups much less their songs.

I was blown away the first time I saw the Sugarland video for "Stay" and was so glad that's the song that they performed the other night. Jennifer Nettles' voice is amazing -she was spot on!

I can't believe how many country songs are filling up my IPod these days -Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Reba, Blake Shelton-as I said, a month ago, I would have had no clue about these people.

However, after an hour of country music videos and I feel like I need a box of kleenix and a Prozac!

EasyFeeling
11-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks for posting your impressions of the show. 8)
I'm missing something... what about James Denton? :drool:

Brooke
11-10-2007, 10:35 AM
James Denton looked very hot indeed! Nothing special about his parts though.

Brad Paisley stands out for me too. I just love some of his songs. Most of them are funny, but he can do serious too. If you haven't seen the funny videos, you MUST. The new one is "Online" and catch "Check You For Ticks", and "I'm Gonna Miss Her" to name a few.

I agree with you, Molly, about needing the kleenex after an hour of country music. I do get a little tired of it because so much of it is so depressing. At work we go back and forth between the classic rock stations and the country stations.

DonFan
11-10-2007, 11:38 PM
I voted for Sugarland because I love Jennifer Nettles. She has an amazing voice and does so great on that song.

My next choice would've been Keith Urban. He is gorgeous!

I thought Miranda Lambert was an inspired choice to play second in the show to get the audience revved up. She really rocked!

And one little personal note about the Eagles--I know Don started as the Eagles' drummer, and I love watching him play the drums too--but he was always in the back and I usually couldn't see him. Therefore, I personally love watching him come out front and play guitar. He was really playing at the CMAs--I saw him change chords--not like in the early days when he used to use the guitar as a prop. So I was a happy camper to see all four guys lined up out front like that.

"Whose guitar is this? My guitar? I like my guitar." :wink:

Ive always been a dreamer
11-18-2007, 11:33 PM
As usual - I'm the slowpoke here with my comments. My first two choices are exactly the same as DonFan's. Now - as most of you probably already know, I hardly knew any of these songs before I went to the show. I did listen to the Keith CD's that EasyFeeling sent me, so I was familiar with some of his songs. So going in completely green on this stuff, I have to say the performance that impressed me the most was Sugarland. I literally had chills listening to Jennifer Nettles voice even though I could hardly understand a word of the song because the sound was so bad in the arena. She was amazing, but I wasn't impressed at all by her 'outfit'. Keith gets my vote for runner up - he sounded great, plus he looked very HOT! I would also give honorable mentions to Alison Krauss (she also has an amazing voice), and the duet that Reba McEntire and LeAnn Rimes did together was another highlight for me. I did think the lead singer in Rascal Flatts sounded offkey in his song with Jamie Foxx, but I thought their performance was very cool anyway. Kelly Pickler's breakdown was very moving.

One other note - I didn't hardly see or hear any of Carrie Underwood's performance because my attention turned completely to the other side of the stage as soon as I saw them roll out that gold drum set. :wink: