PDA

View Full Version : Do Something-Jackson Browne, Graham Nash, Bonnie Raitt...

Toonlass
11-09-2007, 07:00 AM
I was checking on Jackson Browne's webpage today and found a link to this

http://www.nukefree.org

and thought I would pass it on to you guys across the pond, as being a Brit I don't really have much say. However, when more nuclear power stations were discussed here last time I was dead against it and joined a petition a friend was part of. Surely by now it is obvious that nuclear power is not the way to go. It can not be safely disposed of and can cause horrific disasters. The way the world is at present, you would imagine that there wouldn't be a need to give certain groups within society extra targets. Please forgive me for butting in on your countries policies but I think we need to start looking at things from a world perspective, after all this lot is all we've got.

The website has this video on it as well as it being on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPhRdwxb_Q

sodascouts
11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi, great to see you again! No need to apologize for posting such things. It IS a global concern.

Perfect Little Sister
11-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey Toonie!!! I've missed you! Unfortunately, there is a research facility in my town. We have mapped out the evac route to avoid any plume in the event there should be a threat. Even an unsubstantiated rumor and I'm on the road to Auntie's.

I remember when Chernobyl happened. I was pregnant and called my husband at work in a panic, ready to hop a plane to anywhere if the cloud wouldn't dissipate before it reached us.

glenneaglesfan
11-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi, Toonlass, good to hear from you again. I entirely agree with the view that nuclear power is not the way forward. The legacy it leaves behind is more harmful than alternative forms of energy and creates a minefield of problems. Where I live, we fought against the building of a new gas-fired power station for several years, but the planners won through. It has devastated farmland throughout Devon, not only on the site, but a huge trench through the landscape to bring the gas pipe down. Simple energy saving would have obviated the need for this. If every household had been provided with energy-saving light bulbs, for instance, there would have been no need for the power station at all. It seems we are still powerless against the government and the planners.

That's a great video, btw, thanks for the link.

Toonlass
11-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I just wish that the folks in charge would listen to ordinary people for a change and also, for once stop thinking about quick fixes and getting taxes from folks for things they need in their everyday lives. There needs to be long term plans for many things and it just seems that people are not thinking long term, in the majority of things that are happening.

Just look at the flooding this year in the UK, so many houses have been built on flood plains that it is likely to happen again and yet planners are still giving permission for the building to go ahead. At present there is a huge building plan for the "Thames Gateway" known to locals as the "soon to be flooded Thames plain". The amount of houses and thus concrete that have been built and laid is going to make drainage a huge problem.

Enough ranting for now :) It's good to catch up...see you on the other boards.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey Toonie - glad you stopped in and thanks for posting the link. I totally agree with all that's been said here. Okay - I know I can be naive, but I dream of having smart, forward-thinking leaders who are more concerned with finding real, long-term solutions for the problems facing our entire planet rather than carelessly slapping a patch on things to temporarily fix them and pad their pockets.

Toonlass
11-18-2007, 06:32 AM
I think we all dream of having those sorts of leaders, but I know in this country at least, our current options are not exactly the best for that sort of thinking. You'd think that the UK being an island and surrounded by water we would invest more in tidal power as its a source that's not exactly going to run out in the distant future.

There are just so many more better options and they are constantly being ignored or "looked into". I wish they'd stop looking and get on with it, because surely certain solutions are obvious.

Glennsallnighter
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
We don't have nuclear power (yet :roll: ) but its an issue that rears its ugly head every few years (usually when oil prices rise). I'm dead set against it. We also have a 'power of one' campaign which is being run by the ESB. The idea is that everyone should be able to do ONE thing to reduce energy usage, such as using energy efficient light bulbs, turning off lights when you leave a room, using a full oven, not leaving equipment on standby etc.
By doing 1 thing everyone can significantly reduce the energy burden on the country.