PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Feature in The Cape Argus (Capetonian publication)

Mrs Frey
11-09-2007, 08:57 AM
I didn't know where to put this piece of news, which is especially significant for me, so I thought I'd post a new topic. At long last, The Eagles have featured in an article in one of our local daily newspapers, The Cape Argus, on 7 November (a day after Glenn's :heart: birthday!). They published a gorgeous picture of Glenn :heart: and Don, taken after they received an award from the RIAA certifying that their "The Greatest Hits" album is the biggest seller yet in the US, with 26 million copies sold.

The accompanying article was about their having released a new album, and it featured an interview with Don, interspersed with narrative about The Eagles' career. Below that article is a smaller one about The Eagles reaching number 1 for the first time in the UK.

I would post a scan of the article if I could, but for a taster, check out my new avatar! :D

sodascouts
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Cool that they got an article! If you need help posting your scan, let me know.

Brooke
11-09-2007, 04:56 PM
That's great Mrs. F that you actually got something about the band on a local level! I know you are pleased! 8)

glenneaglesfan
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
MF, what a treat, at last, recognised where you live! It's been exciting reading about them over here too, and hearing about them on the radio. This week I've heard How Long and No More Cloudy Days. Bliss!!

Glennsallnighter
11-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Thank you for sending the scan over to me MF and that lovely pic of Glenn :heart: He looks fantastic as always. I'd no problem saving that, but unfortunately I can't get my computer to open the article. It keeps telling me that the attachment 'doesn't have a programme associated with it' and tells me to create one :roll: For me an easier task would be to learn fluent Greek in a week!
But thanks anyway. I know how exciting it was for you to have an article in your local paper. :D and to see some recognition of The Eagles in your country.

Mrs Frey
11-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks for your support, everyone!

I happened to be sitting on the train on my way home from work, and a man who was reading the newspaper was sitting on the opposite side of the train. These eyes of mine don't miss much, so as I was looking around while I was listening to my mp3 player (Glenn :heart: was probably caressing my ears at the time, too), I spotted Glenn's :heart: face as the gentleman was turning a page. I was so excited, but for a moment I doubted what I had seen. "Turn the page again, turn the page again," I thought. After an agonisingly long time (probably 5 minutes, LOL), he did, and I saw both Glenn :heart: and Don, and my heart skipped a beat.

I had a silly grin on my face all the way home, and couldn't wait to read the accompanying article (we subscribe to the newspaper). It's about time, I thought. South Africa wakes up to The Eagles' magic! 8)

Soda, I will give Photobucket one more try, and if I don't come right then I will give you a shout! I can't access all websites at work.

Thank you!!

Mrs Frey
11-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Woo hoo hoo! I've finally managed to work with Photobucket! :yay: Here are scans of the (rather large) article in the Cape Argus of 7 November 2007:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/EaglesCapeArgus7Nov07.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z69/mrsfrey_photos/EaglesCapeArgus7Nov07_2.jpg

I hope you can all read it! It's the best scan I can do (I asked a colleague to do it for me)!

Don't Glenn :heart: and Don look stunning? :smitten:

DonFan
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Wow--talk about big smiles! :D

sodascouts
11-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for posting that - I've never seen that photo before!

Glennsallnighter
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Yes, two very happy boys in the pic MF! I managed to read the interview as well. Very good. Pity Glenn :heart: didn't get a comment in!
Congratulations on being able to access Photobucket at last :D

EasyFeeling
11-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Gorgeous smiles. :D Thanks for posting, MF. I also managed to read it (with my reading glasses) :wink:

glenneaglesfan
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Hurray for you, MF! That is a fabulous picture of the boys, and a great article. I can imagine how you felt, seeing Glenn in someone's paper. That's happened to me a couple of times recently. I bought the Independent on Sunday three weeks ago - we don't usually get it, but it was that family weekend - and didn't even notice a tiny version of the "Barn" pic on the front until my brother-in-law was reading it!!

Glennsallnighter
11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Aw GEF, I could have got that too! We get all the English/British publications over here too! (In fact many of them are better than the rags that are on offer over here on a Sunday :roll:)

Mrs Frey
11-14-2007, 06:51 AM
Yes, two very happy boys in the pic MF! I managed to read the interview as well. Very good. Pity Glenn :heart: didn't get a comment in!Congratulations on being able to access Photobucket at last :D

Highlighted text: those were my thoughts exactly, GA!

I'm glad you all enjoyed the picture and the article! :D I've already made an enquiry at a sister publication of The Cape Argus regarding whether or not they've run an article on The Eagles. The lady I spoke to said they hadn't, but wanted to know why I was curious. Well, I explained to her that The Eagles are my favourite functioning band, and that the Cape Argus article was the first of its kind that I've seen locally. I added that they have just released their new album. She then asked me on what label the album had been released, and said she would look into it!

My one-woman South African campaign for the Eagles continues!

Brooke
11-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Excellent work on your one-woman campaign, Mrs F! :applause: And with posting the scan! Thank you so much.

Love the picture, too!

Mrs Frey
11-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks, Brooke, I do try! :D I'm glad you like the scan, too.