PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Song Shuffle Game

Jonny Come Lately
02-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Here's an idea I've had for a new game based on something I saw on another forum. I think it should be quite good fun. It works in a similar way to the other 'shuffle games' on this board - set your MP3 player or computer (or whatever device you wish to use) on shuffle and list the first ten songs that come up. Once you have your ten songs, indicate your favourite song(s).

The version of the game I came across was straightforward as you simply had to name your favourite song out of ten, but in some cases I found it difficult to select just one song and thus I have given the option to adapt the game slightly. I'll demonstrate with this random shuffle I did fairly recently, the first ten songs were as follows:
1. Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
2. Cirrus Minor - Pink Floyd
3. Hey Babe - Neil Young
4. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
5. Train Leaves Here This Morning - Eagles
6. That Smell - Lynyrd Skynyrd
7. Such A Woman - Neil Young
8. Drive Back - Neil Young
9. Empty Spaces - Pink Floyd
10. Down To The Waterline - Dire Straits

The first approach - the simplest - involves simply indicating your single choice for favourite track (I've used bold type, but anything will do as long as it is clear).
3. Hey Babe - Neil Young

The alternative approach, and my own idea, is a 'medals' approach. There are times when I think it is very hard to choose one favourite, yet where I could probably define a top three quite easily and acknowledge the 'podium finishers' in the shuffle, so to speak. I've used different font colours ('gold' = top favourite, 'silver' = second favourite and 'bronze' = third favourite) to indicate my choices, although again I'd say that clear notation of any description is fine.
3. Hey Babe - Neil Young

Either approach is a perfectly acceptable way of playing, just go with your own preference - if you want to use different approaches for different sets of songs, then that is absolutely fine by me, especially as each shuffle is completely independent of all the others.

There are a lot of possibilities open for this game, I think there should be absolutely nothing to stop you shuffling a specific playlist - you could do all Eagles songs, all songs by another artist, or songs from a particular year, to name just three - as well as general shuffle of all your songs. Also, as it is just ten songs per shuffle, it should be relatively quick to play compared to the more in depth shuffle games on here. This should hopefully be straightforward, If there's anything you don't understand, please feel free to ask me.

Freypower
02-27-2016, 07:23 PM
This is right up my alley. I will list the last 20 songs I played in two groups. I like the 'medals' approach.

1. A Case Of You - Joni Mitchell
2. Heroes & Villains - Beach Boys
3. Broadway Melody of 1974 - Genesis
4. Dinah-Moe Humm - Frank Zappa
5. Up In The Sky - Oasis
6. True Love - Glenn Frey
7. Rebirth - Tony Banks
8. Mrs Vandebilt - Paul McCartney & Wings
9. Down Along The Cove - Bob Dylan
10. (Give Me Back My) Wings - Hunter-Ronson Band

1. Romance In Durango - Bob Dylan
2. Violin Concerto in A Minor Adagio - Bach
3. Enigma Variations III RBT Allegro - Elgar
4. Amsterdam - Crowded House
5. All My Friends Are Getting Married - Skyhooks
6. You Ought To Be With Me - Al Green
7. Rock'n'Roll Fantasy - Bad Company
8. My Rival - Steely Dan
9. On Interstate 15 - Wall Of Voodoo
10. Guilty Of The Crime - Eagles

L101
02-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Finally got around to doing this - I split the list into two groups as there are some bands that a few on the border might not have heard of so I did a group of 'border friendly' songs :grin:

Border Friendly:
1 - Brand New Tennessee Waltz - Don Henley
2 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John
3 - Set The Fire To The Third Bar - Snow Patrol
4 - Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
5 - Man On The Moon - REM
6 - Take Back The City - Snow Patrol
7 - Some Might Say - Oasis
8 - Sunny Came Home - Shawn Colvin
9 - You Belong To The City - Glenn Frey
10 - The Sad Café - Eagles

Other:
1 - Nobody Knows - Paul Brady
2 - To Cut A Long Story Short - Spandau Ballet
3 - Jupiter - 30 Seconds To Mars
4 - The Older We Get - Hothouse Flowers
5 - All You Want - Dido
6 - Got To Get Away - The Stunning
7 - The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
8 - Joan Of Ark - OMD
9 - Heads - The Stunning
10 - Don't Leave - Faithless

Freypower
02-29-2016, 09:47 PM
I am going to do one of these per week, per favourite artist, starting of course with the Beatles.

1. Another Girl
2. Here Comes The Sun
3. I Feel Fine
4. Within You, Without You
5. Sexy Sadie
6. I Saw Her Standing There
7. Glass Onion
8. Martha My Dear
9. Tomorrow Never Knows
10. I'm Down

Brooke
03-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Great idea, JCL!

1. Little Queenie-REO Speedwagon
2. Almost Saturday Night-John Fogerty
3. Shame on the Moon-Bob Seger
4. Love In the 21st Century-Glenn Frey :heart:
5. These Dreams-Heart
6. Drink A Little Drink-Eric Church
7. Looking Into You-Jackson Browne
8. Them and Us-Don Henley
9. Time-Pink Floyd
10-Call Me the Breeze-Lynyrd Skynyrd

I haven't heard some of these for a while!

Jonny Come Lately
03-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Glad to hear people are enjoying this game so far! :-)

FP, I originally came up with this idea while listening to Led Zeppelin on shuffle so I already have a suitable list I can use for them. I'm guessing you'll probably want to do a Zep shuffle at some stage? If so, I'm happy to wait until you've posted your list and then I'll put my ten songs up.

The natural place for me to start is with Pink Floyd. I have well over 200 Floyd tracks on my iPod so there are a lot of tracks on there, even once I leave out the full live performances I have of the Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall albums. I am guessing that 'later' Floyd is more familiar to most Borderers than 'early' Floyd, so I'll use a similar approach to Lacken (great idea by the way - I should probably try that approach later) and come up with two playlists - there is easily enough material to use from two different sets of songs, which I divide Happily there is one album that stands out as an excellent candidate to divide the Floyd catalogue - The Dark Side of the Moon. Nothing was ever quite the same for the band after the runaway success of that album, which dwarfed its predecessors. The two randomly shuffles will be based on playlists containing the following albums:

Early Pink Floyd (pre-Dark Side): The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, A Saucerful of Secrets, More Soundtrack, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Relics, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds
Later Pink Floyd (Dark Side and post-Dark Side): The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Division Bell, P.U.L.S.E., The Endless River
(I don't currently have The Final Cut or A Momentary Lapse of Reason)

So here's the first half of my Pink Floyd shuffle:

Early Pink Floyd (1966-1972)
1. The Nile Song
2. Echoes
3. Astronomy Domine
4. Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
5. Free Four
6. Atom Heart Mother Suite
7. Childhood's End
8. Julia Dream
9. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
10. A Saucerful of Secrets (Live)

To me, there was no contest as to which song which best - Echoes stands as one of the greatest epics in rock history. As an epic in the Floyd canon, it is bettered only by Shine On You Crazy Diamond. To my delight, it was followed by my favourite song from the Syd Barrett era, Astronomy Domine.

I decided to listen to all of these songs, so I did have to laugh at how both of the band's longest songs from this era (Echoes and Atom Heart Mother) came up! It does reminds me why I don't tend to shuffle Floyd very often, although it was certainly good fun.

I haven't done the 'later' Floyd playlist yet, but it will probably be the next one I put up.

Freypower
03-03-2016, 07:27 PM
JCL, you can put up your Zeppelin playlist whenever you want because before I get to them I have to do the Eagles, Dire Straits, Rolling Stones & Glenn. Then I will do Zeppelin & then Genesis. I don't know about dividing artists up into eras. To do that I would have to create playlists with albums from each era & I would rather shuffle the entire lot.

Jonny Come Lately
03-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Thanks FP, I thought it would be worth checking before I posted it. I'll post my Led Zeppelin list next week. For the most part, I agree with you about not dividing artists into eras - a lot of bands do not have enough songs to justify splitting their discography. I made an except for Pink Floyd as they do have a lot of albums but also more significantly I sense that most Borderers are more familiar with the music from Dark Side onwards than the earlier albums so I thought it was sensible to split their music into the better known and more obscure halves. My 'rule of thumb' is that I feel I generally need there to be at least around 40 tracks on a playlist or by one or more artist(s) to make a really interesting shuffle, although this is just my personal preference.

I will probably also do the Eagles and Dire Straits fairly soon, possibly Fleetwood Mac as well. In addition, I can definitely do Neil Young and Bob Dylan, and I have enough Mark Knopfler solo tracks to shuffle them too. I could also do an Eagles solo songs playlist, as I now have a decent number of songs by Don H and Joe which I could lump together. To be honest there isn't really anyone else I have enough songs by except Coldplay, who I hardly ever listen to nowadays. The only other one that could work funnily enough I think is The Beach Boys - although I'm not a massive fan, I own a compilation with quite a large number of songs the shuffle would potentially be quite interesting and varied (in contrast to say Lynyrd Skynyrd, who I enjoy listening to more and have a comparable number of songs by, but they are from only three albums).

I had a chance to listen to my second Pink Floyd shuffle today and here are the first ten songs that came up:

Later-era Pink Floyd Shuffle (Dark Side and post-Dark Side)
1. On The Run (Live)
2. What Do You Want From Me (Live)
3. In The Flesh
4. Us And Them
5. The Lost Art Of Conversation
6. Allons-Y (1)
7. Any Colour You Like
8. Pigs On The Wing (Part One)
9. Astronomy Domine (Live)
10. Time

I found the top two quite easy - Time is at the very least in my overall Top 5 and quite possibly depending on mood my favourite Floyd song that isn't an extended piece, while Us And Them is another huge personal favourite. I gave third to In The Flesh although there were a couple of others that weren't far behind.

Brooke
03-04-2016, 05:39 PM
I can do Eagles, Glenn, Don and Joe easily. I can also do Jackson Browne, Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, John Fogerty, Beatles, and maybe Heart.

I like this game, JCL! Thanks!

Freypower
03-04-2016, 07:23 PM
I can do absolutely loads of artists. I can not only do the Beatles & all members, the Eagles & all members of the last line-up, Genesis & Gabriel, Collins & Banks, Dire Straits & Knopfler, Zeppelin & Plant, CCR & Fogerty, etc. That isn't even mentioning bands like Queen, Bee Gees, Abba & solo artists like Seger, Diamond, Dylan, Ferry, Newman, Presley, Nicks etc.

Anyway here is my Eagles playlist:

1. Victim Of Love
2. I Don't Want To Hear Any More (live in Sydney)
3. Hole In The World
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Pretty Maids All In A Row
6. Wasted Time (Reprise)
7. King Of Hollywood
8. I Dreamed There Was No War
9. Out Of Control
10. The Girl From Yesterday

TGFY is one of the saddest songs in their catalogue which I am afraid has taken on particular meaning for me in the last six weeks. I am also one of the few people on this board to have seen it performed, and not once, but twice, just three years ago at the Opera House.

As for PMAIAR, some lines from it resonated with me yesterday:

Heroes they come & they go
And leave us behind
As if we're s'posed to know why.....

Brooke
03-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Sadness, Fp!

Eagles

1. Visions
2. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
3. Wasted Time (Reprise)
4. Midnight Flyer
5. The Last Resort
6. Hotel California (HFO version)
7. Saturday Night (Live)
8. Take It To The Limit
9. Tequila Sunrise (HFO)
10. After the Thrill Is Gone

Well, that's a fine mess! Visions is one of my least favorite Eagles songs along with Greeks! Luck of the draw! I do love the HFO version of HC, but the other 3 that I color coded are my favorites of this bunch!

Freypower
03-07-2016, 04:54 PM
That's funny, Brooke. You & I both got Wasted Time (Reprise).

L101
03-07-2016, 05:18 PM
I thought I would add my Eagles shuffle -

1- After The Thrill Is Gone
2 - Desperado
3 - Wasted Time (Reprise)
4 - One Of These Nights
5 - Victim Of Love
6 - No More Cloudy Days
7 - Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
8 - Witchy Woman
9 - The Disco Strangler
10 - Try And Love Again

I also got Wasted Time (Reprise) - that song likes to be played !!
Victim Of Love and The Disco Strangler are two of my least favourite Eagles songs and they both came up :huh:
It was a toss up between ATTIG and Desperado for silver but ATTIG won just because of the Glenn/Don vocals!

Also, I wish I had the HOTE version of Witchy Woman - that was so good.

Jonny Come Lately
03-10-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks for posting your lists, everyone - I've really enjoyed reading them. I will definitely have to do an Eagles shuffle myself, I intend to get around to doing one soon. I was amused to see that Wasted Time (Reprise) kept coming up! I may also post my top three from each Eagles list - I wouldn't do it for any other artist but I think it would be interesting to compare my top three from each ten song list with each of yours.

For now though, as promised, here is my Led Zeppelin shuffle:

1. The Song Remains The Same
2. Moby Dick
3. Custard Pie
4. Ten Years Gone
5. Hey Hey, What Can I Do
6. You Shook Me
7. D'yer Mak'er
8. Bron-Yr-Aur
9. Hot Dog
10. Since I've Been Loving You

Funnily enough nothing from favourite Zep album (IV), but there's quite a bit from Physical Graffiti to make up for it, including my second and third favourites. I was tempted to give third to Hey Hey, What Can I Do though - really wish it had been included on III rather than just as a B-side, but ironically my gold medallist is one of only two songs on that album that I'd say were definitely than it (the other being the mighty Immigrant Song).

Freypower
03-11-2016, 05:36 PM
From that list, both D'Yer Mak'er & Hot Dog would have won medals for me & the other would have been Ten Years Gone.

Glenn Frey:

1. I'm Getting Old Before My Time
2. Common Ground
3. Smuggler's Blues
4. The Allnighter
5. 634-5789 (live)
6. After Hours (radio version)
7. True Love
8. Some Kind Of Wonderful (live)
9. Big Life
10. The Heat Is On (jazz version)

Interesting mix with some of his beloved R&B.

Freypower
03-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Dire Straits:

1. Sultans Of Swing
2. Iron Hand
3. Hand In Hand
4. Love Over Gold
5. Fade To Black
6. When It Comes to You
7. Calling Elvis
8. Telegraph Road
9. Going Home (live)
10. Les Boys

If I hadn't cheated slightly there, 7 out of the 10 tracks would have been from On Every Street. I wasn't going to have that. Nothing from Communiqué & nothing from the almighty Brothers In Arms. It isn't a list I would have chosen myself even with the above caveat. :confused:

Jonny Come Lately
03-18-2016, 06:09 PM
From that list, Telegraph Road would have been my gold medallist - that's the only difference, as I absolutely love Sultans and Going Home, which would be second and third for me. I agree it's not the best list of Dire Straits songs, although having said this it does contain my top two favourite tracks. I don't get on that well with On Every Street apart from a few highlights so definitely see where you're coming from, having said this I do think Calling Elvis and Iron Hand are among the better songs on it. (I sometimes think my iPod plays a lot of my least played songs first when I put it on 'random' shuffle, but I don't think there's any real way of proving this.).

I haven't got around to doing any shuffles this week, as I like to have enough time to listen to the songs rather than just make a list and haven't had time. I'll try and do something soon though, should have more time on my hands next week though. Eagles and Dire Straits are the ones I'll do next, I think.

Brooke
03-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Glenn:

1. Brave New World
2. The Heat is On
3. Can't Put Out This Fire
4. Smuggler's Blues
5. The One You Love
6. Part of Me, Part of You
7. A Walk in the Dark
8. For Sentimental Reasons
9. He Took Advantage
10. I Did It For Your Love

I'm so glad I got POM,POY! Favorite Glenn solo song!

Freypower
03-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Rolling Stones:

1. Emotional Rescue
2. So Young
3. Jumpin' Jack Flash
4. Prodigal Son
5. Do You Think I Really Care
6. Wild Horses (Stripped version)
7. Tallahassee Lassie
8. Start Me Up
9. Miss You
10. She Was Hot

Three of those are previously unreleased tracks from Some Girls while Miss You is of course the lead track from that album.

Freypower
04-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Led Zeppelin. A lot of BBC Sessions & Celebration Day:

1. Black Country Woman
2. South Bound Suarez
3. All My Love
4. Travelling Riverside Blues (BBC)
5. In My Time Of Dying (Celebration Day)
6. Black Dog (BBC)
7. The Song Remains The Same (Celebration Day)
8. Good Times, Bad Times
9. That's The Way
10. No Quarter (Celebration Day)

If only Black Dog had been the studio version it would have won gold. This version has a great vocal but the guitar is a bit tinny. If it had been the studio IMTOD that would have been silver, great though this version is. So the medallists are all studio songs. I make no apologies for BCW which I adore - and as for That's The Way, it's gorgeous.

God knows what I'll get with Genesis next week. Probably all of Foxtrot.

WalshFan88
04-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Journey
My Kinda Party - Jason Aldean
Centerfold - J. Geils Band
Amie - Pure Prairie League
Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
Rats In The Cellar - Aerosmith
No More Tears - Ozzy Osbourne
Withdrawals - Tyler Farr
Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac
Let It Rain - Eric Clapton

Brooke
04-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Don Henley

1. Them and Us
2. I Will Not Go Quietly
3. The Heart of the Matter
4. My Thanksgiving
5. All She Wants to do is Dance
6. The End of the Innocence
7. New York Minute
8. The Boys of Summer
9. Sunset Grill
10. The Last Worthless Evening

Jonny Come Lately
04-12-2016, 06:31 PM
That's one of my favourite lists I've seen so far, Brooke. I agree with your top three, I'd have been delighted to see those classics all come up. There were quite a lot of hits in there actually, interesting considering sometimes these random shuffles produce their share of comparative obscurities.

FP, I meant to comment on your Led Zeppelin list earlier having already done one myself. I will ignore the BBC tracks as I don't actually have that album, but I know Celebration Day quite well albeit from the film rather than the album. If the all the tracks had been studio versions, Black Dog would also have been my number one, ahead of No Quarter (silver) and In My Time of Dying (bronze). With the versions here, I think IMTOD would probably actually be my favourite - I am hugely impressed by Jimmy's guitar and JPJ's bass on the Celebration Day version. Good Times Bad Times is a big favourite of mine so that would get silver, ahead of The Song Remains The Same which I probably enjoy more than the studio version (the guitars are great either way, but I prefer it with Robert singing normally compared to his sped-up vocals on the original studio recording).

I haven't contributed to this as much as I thought I would be able to, but I have been quite busy with other things. I tend to do shuffle playlists more often if I'm on a journey or have a spare evening when there's little else to do, but recently there have been quite a lot of things most days and nights. I'll try to do an Eagles one sooner rather than later for sure (I noticed Wasted Time (Reprise) kept coming up on everyone else's list, so I'll keep a sharp out for that one when I do get round to it), and I might do other artists periodically as there aren't all that many I can do.

Brooke
04-13-2016, 09:18 AM
That's one of my favourite lists I've seen so far, Brooke. I agree with your top three, I'd have been delighted to see those classics all come up. There were quite a lot of hits in there actually, interesting considering sometimes these random shuffles produce their share of comparative obscurities.

Yes, I know! I was quite surprised when so many songs I really liked showed up! The only iffy one for me is Them and Us.

Austin, your mixed list is quite a mix! :lol:

WalshFan88
04-16-2016, 03:12 AM
Austin, your mixed list is quite a mix! :lol:

:hilarious:

Brooke
06-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Joe

1. Turn to Stone
2. Funk 50
3. Rocky Mountain Way
4. Spanish Dancer
5. Mother Says
6. Life's Been Good
7. One Day at a Time
8. Funk #49
9. But I Try
10. Lucky That Way

Freypower
06-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Nice to see this revived.

1. She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune - Don Henley
2. He Doesn't Know Why - Fleet Foxes
3. Same Situation - Joni Mitchell
4. 5D (Fifth Dimension) - Byrds
5. Happy The Man - Genesis
6. Piano Concerto No. 2 2nd movt. - Rachmaninov
7. It's Showtime! - David Lee Roth
8. Twilight Alehouse - Genesis
9. Now Is The Time - Ian Hunter
10. Headshrinker - Oasis

A quirky selection, some of which may surprise some people.

I don't wish to beat the Genesis drum again but these were my first hearings of the gold & silver songs & I absolutely loved them. I can't believe Twlight Alehouse never made it onto an album & Happy The Man is a folksy, Cat Stevens style song! As for She Sang Hymns, it didn't get much love in the Survivor game but it's a favourite of mine.

travlnman2
06-22-2016, 08:21 PM
1.Hotel California
2.Madagascar-Guns N Roses
3.Freebird-Lynyrd Skynyrd
5.Take It Easy
6.Something Beatles
7.Dust N Bones-Guns N Roses
8.Rocky Mountain Way
9.There Was A Time-Guns N Roses
10.Layla-Eric Clapton

This was a very hard choice i have many favorite songs and it changes alot . I am a huge gnr fan especially of Chinese Democracy which coming from an unbiased view is in my opinion the Greatest Record of the past 20 years and can hold its own against any of their classic material and any other band. I think if you listen to it and focus on the lyrics and instrumentation you would see my point..

Jonny Come Lately
06-23-2016, 04:28 AM
Just done a quick non-specific shuffle. Probably nothing especially surprising about this one, just wanted to do one seeing as this thread has been revived!

1. Royal Orleans - Led Zeppelin
2. White Line - Neil Young
3. Blue Letter - Fleetwood Mac
4. Guilty of the Crime - Eagles
5. On Every Street - Dire Straits
6. Calling - Pink Floyd
7. In My Time Of Dying - Led Zeppelin
8. Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd
9. Spies - Coldplay
10. Peaceful Easy Feeling - Eagles

On this list four songs stand out to me, which is kind of unfortunate as it means I have to snub one of them! As it happens, these songs are split equally between my four favourite bands.

In My Time of Dying is an exceptional piece of Led Zep blues rock from the IMO near flawless first disc of Physical Graffiti and takes gold. It's funny because I think On Every Street is easily the weakest Dire Straits album, but the title track is outstanding and I think is the only song that would still sound great on their other albums (it's in my top ten by them, but nothing else from the album would come close). This meant the choice came between Have A Cigar and PEF. There's not a lot between them and my preference really depends on mood more than anything else. I listened to the Wish You Were Here album a couple of days ago which probably shifted it towards Cigar.

Of the others, Calling is a short track from The Endless River, which I usually only listen to as a complete album. I don't listen to Coldplay very often now (3-4 years ago they were one of my favourites) although I still like Spies quite a bit. All the others are songs that I like a lot without being amongst my top favourites from, although they are by some of my favourite artists so no complaints here! (although I should note that I am indeed 'Guilty of the Crime' of still not getting around to doing an Eagles shuffle! :lol: Quite funny that it came up.)

FP, I listened to Twilight Alehouse a while back. Very good track, could easily have fitted on Selling England... for sure. Do you know if there is anywhere you can buy/download it? It's from my favourite Genesis album era and I'd quite like to have it on m

Freypower
06-23-2016, 06:58 PM
FP, I listened to Twilight Alehouse a while back. Very good track, could easily have fitted on Selling England... for sure. Do you know if there is anywhere you can buy/download it? It's from my favourite Genesis album era and I'd quite like to have it on m

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archive-1-1967-1975-Genesis/dp/B001KQKZM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466722319&sr=8-1&keywords=genesis+archive+1967-1975

You can download it from Amazon as an individual track too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twilight-Alehouse/dp/B001KQH5O2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1466722319&sr=8-9&keywords=genesis+archive+1967-1975

WalshFan88
06-23-2016, 11:42 PM
1. Anytime - Journey
2. Wild Side - Motley Crue
3. Reelin' In The Years - Steely Dan
4. All About Tonight - Blake Shelton
5. Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty
6. Taxman - Beatles
7. This Is How We Roll - Florida Georgia Line
8. My Sharona - The Knack
9. Shakedown - Bob Seger
10. Too Much Time On My Hands - Styx

-----

Continued my theme of picking only one but it was hard. This is another eclectic list showing my love for both classic rock and modern contemporary/today's country.

Jonny Come Lately
06-24-2016, 06:35 PM
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archive-1-1967-1975-Genesis/dp/B001KQKZM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466722319&sr=8-1&keywords=genesis+archive+1967-1975

You can download it from Amazon as an individual track too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twilight-Alehouse/dp/B001KQH5O2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1466722319&sr=8-9&keywords=genesis+archive+1967-1975

Thank you very much! :cheers: I had a quick check on iTunes and found it available on that same compilation album, which is very handy for me.

Jonny Come Lately
07-04-2016, 06:25 PM
When I went to see Don last week, the playlist for the drive to and from the concert was only ever going to have one flavour! I had a playlist of about 60 tracks, all of which were either Don solo tracks or Eagles songs (mostly featuring Don on lead vocals. but not exclusively) It's about an hour's drive from where I live to the venue in Manchester so there was enough time to get in a decent number of tracks on random shuffle both there and back. I didn't realise until a couple of days later what potential this had for this thread, and since then I've been meaning to get back to this. Better late than never, I hope...

This turned out to be one of the most difficult ones I've ever done! The only one of these songs that I have to say I don't think would ever get into my top three at any point in time is Waiting Tables (which I like, as in merely 'like'), I love virtually everything else on this list. I had to snub so many songs I love, but I think I'm satisfied with my top three, all of which are in my opinion simply exceptional works.

1. The End Of The Innocence
2. King Of Hollywood
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Waiting Tables
5. Learn To Be Still
6. That Old Flame
7. Those Shoes
8. Do Something
9. Dirty Laundry
10. The Heart Of The Matter

The Heart of the Matter is probably my favourite Henley solo track. However, the gorgeous WITW (which sounded absolutely wonderful on a warm summer's evening. I don't see too many of those! :lol:) and The End of the Innocence aren't far behind and I feel all are amongst the best songs Don has ever made. Commiserations to the other songs which might have stood a chance of a podium finish in a different shuffle.

Fourth place would probably go to Those Shoes, for what it's worth. Of course, this also means that two songs I loved from Don's show didn't make it... Decisions, decisions! :dizzy:

RudieCantFail
07-14-2016, 03:23 AM
In order from my iPod Shuffle (I synced it, so it would have a fresh shuffle):

Johnny Can't Read - Don Henley
Safe European Home - The Clash
The Heart of the Matter - Don Henley - GOLD
Bent - Matchbox Twenty
Dirty Laundry - Don Henley
You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey - BRONZE
Clash City Rockers - The Clash
It's So Easy - Buddy Holly
Do You Love Me? - The Contours
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel - SILVER

The Heart of the Matter is a beautiful song, and I love how it bookends with The End of the Innocence. Henley sings it so well and I like the guitar sound that comes after the "forgiveness"

Solsbury Hill is poetic with its rhymes, and I used it for a pantomime assignment in high school. I like how you can have your own interpretation for the lyrics.

You Belong to the City on loop helped me get through two 3.5 week winter college classes. All I had to do was write BS for a counseling class and write discussion posts & edit a video for Film Appreciation.

Sorry, I was too lazy to find the right colors for the songs because I can't tell what would look good for gold and bronze.

Freypower
07-14-2016, 07:40 PM
I could write an esay on Solsbury Hill.

1. Life In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
2. Get It On - T. Rex
3. The Heartache - Warren Zevon
4. I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday - Paul McCartney
5. The World Turns All Around Her - Byrds
6. Behind That Locked Door - George Harrison
7. Let's Get Married - Al Green
8. While My Heart Is Still Beating - Roxy Music
9. Bird On A Wire - Leonard Cohen
10. That's Why I'm Here - James Taylor

No real standouts here.

Jonny Come Lately
07-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Sorry, I was too lazy to find the right colors for the songs because I can't tell what would look good for gold and bronze.

RCF, sorry for the delay in my reply to this - I had been hoping to get around to doing a shuffle this week but there has been other stuff I felt I needed to get around to listening to (mostly the albums in my collection which I don't play as often) and couldn't make time for it. Although it might sound weird, of the text colours available I find 'orange' works quite nicely for gold and 'Sienna' gives a distinctive bronze colour. I also use 'Gray' for silver as I think the default silver colour is a bit difficult to see on some skins - it isn't a problem on 'darker' ones like One Of These Nights skin, but it is particularly a problem on lighter ones like On The Border). The way you indicated your choices on your shuffle is absolutely fine though, anything goes as long as it's clear.

EDIT: What the hey, I decided to do one this afternoon:

1. Round & Round (It Won't Be Long) - Neil Young
2. Corporal Clegg - Pink Floyd
3. Royal Orleans - Led Zeppelin
4. Hey Hey, What Can I Do - Led Zeppelin
5. The Last Few Bricks (Live) - Pink Floyd
6. The Trial (Live) - Pink Floyd
7. Sara - Bob Dylan
8. Marbletown - Mark Knopfler
9. When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
10. Albuquerque - Neil Young

I'll try to be reasonably brief - not especially varied, with 8 of the 10 songs by just three artists, and several of my favourites absent altogether, Eagles included. It's quite a bit different from the last non-specific shuffle I did as although I like all of these to a greater or lesser extent, I think one song stands out to me as being clearly the best here - When The Levee Breaks. If I compare it to my previous random shuffle in this vein (post #29), I'd say Levee is probably the best song from the two, but any of the top four from that shuffle would have come second here.

The silver medal goes to another Led Zeppelin song - oddly enough Hey Hey... didn't make the top three when I did my Led Zep-only shuffle, but does here! Bronze goes to Bob Dylan's Sara from the Desire album. Reasonably confident in my choices this time around overall.

RudieCantFail
07-26-2016, 02:30 AM
Another re-synced iPod Shuffle 10 song "jamboree."

How Long - Eagles - GOLD
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down - Elvis Costello
Life in the Fast Lane - Eagles
Bankrobber - The Clash - SILVER
Electric Feel - MGMT
Long Day - Matchbox 20 - BRONZE
It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.
No Sleep till Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
The Call Up - The Clash
Three MC's and One DJ - Beastie Boys

"How Long" was the first Eagles song that I remember and paid any attention to back in 2007-2008 on VH1. I was only like 9 or 10 at the time. I liked it then and now I love it. I love listening to it on repeat when I'm doing schoolwork/studying. It's sad that they used the "Buh buh buh bye bye baby, rock yourself to sleep" from the How Long video when they announced Glenn Frey's passing. I also love how Glenn sings, "Goodnight baby, rock yourself to sleep" and then it goes Don and then to Glenn.

The Clash was my second love of a band, after Matchbox Twenty. I love Joe Strummer's vocal on "Bankrobber" as well as the reggae feel.

Matchbox Twenty was my first favorite band, and I like "Long Day." I even considered using it for a drama project, but it had one profanity. It's angsty, and I was into the band around the time I first heard "How Long" on VH1.

EDIT: Thanks, JCL, for telling me the colors for the top 3.

Freypower
07-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Genesis:

1. The Musical Box
2. It
3. Back In NYC
4. For Absent Friends
5. Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist
6. Dodo/Lurker
7. Behind The Lines
8. In The Wilderness
9. Shepherd
10. Looking For Someone

A nice selection of mainly Gabriel era tracks, but the mighty Dodo/Lurker wins Gold!

The unreleased track Shepherd is the only Genesis song which features a (partial) Tony Banks lead vocal.

WalshFan88
07-31-2016, 09:49 PM
1. Country Must Be Country Wide - Brantley Gilbert
2. Keep Pushin' - REO Speedwagon
3. All Down The Line - Rolling Stones
4. Do Ya - ELO
5. Who Made Who - AC/DC
6. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
7. Roller Coaster - Luke Bryan
8. Estranged - Guns N' Roses
9. Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
10. Young - Kenny Chesney

Probably going to surprise some with my choice, but this is what I'm feeling today out of this shuffle.

RudieCantFail
08-10-2016, 03:52 AM
10 songs from the iPod Shuffle

Some Nights - fun.
Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations
Buddy Holly - Weezer
Clash City Rockers - The Clash
Train in Vain (Stand by Me) - The Clash
I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton
Heartache Tonight - Eagles
Dirty Laundry - Don Henley
Janie Jones - The Clash
Heart of Gold - Neil Young

I don't feel strongly enough about these songs to have a top 3. Other than "Should I Stay or Should I Go," I think "Train in Vain" is a good song to introduce someone to The Clash because I know that the punk rock sound can be unappealing and rough at times.

Jonny Come Lately
08-10-2016, 04:45 AM
By coincidence, I did a shuffle of my Don H solo songs yesterday. This is what I got:

1. The Heart of the Matter
2. Too Much Pride
3. The Last Worthless Evening
4. Too Far Gone
5. I Will Not Go Quietly
6. The Brand New Tennessee Waltz
7. Gimme What You Got
8. She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune
9. All She Wants To Do Is Dance
10. The End of The Innocence

Two of my overall top three Don tracks came up again, and the same three that came up in the mixed Don/Eagles shuffle I did a while back. I couldn't believe my luck when the first song that played was THOTM! As my nominal favourite, it was always set for gold. It was silver for TEOTI this time around, with no Waiting In The Weeds to get in the way.

You may notice that for the first eight tracks there was an odd alternating sequence between songs from The End of the Innocence and Cass County. Unfortunately I can't say that I'm a big fan of any of the songs from CC that came up (actually just noticed that the four deluxe edition tracks all came up. That makes it even more bizarre!). ASWTDID has never really been one of my big favourites either, so that left the road clear for the excellent The Last Worthless Evening to take bronze, to complete an all-EOTI podium.

The high number of EOTI and CC tracks is partly down to the fact these are currently the only two Don solo albums I own in full. Beyond that I have Actual Miles and a few other tracks I've downloaded from his first two albums (none of these came up).

Freypower
08-12-2016, 08:03 PM
For Mark Knopfler's birthday:

1. Yon Two Crows
2. You Don't Know You're Born
3. Marbletown (live)
4. So Far Away (live)
5. Going Home (Theme from Local Hero)
6. No Can Do
7. Wild Mountain Thyme
8. I Used To Could (live)
9. Vic & Ray
10. Sailing To Philadelphia

That is not a list I would give to casual fans to introduce them to MK apart from Track 10. The live tracks all come from a show in Manchester (!) in June 2015.

RudieCantFail
08-18-2016, 03:23 AM
10 songs from the iPod Shuffle

Hard On You - Rob Thomas
Message in a Bottle - The Police
Straight to Hell - The Clash - GOLD
Disease - Matchbox Twenty
Alpha - Vangelis - BRONZE
Bent - Matchbox Twenty
Hero - Frank Ocean + Mick Jones + Paul Simonon + Diplo
Release - Pearl Jam (re-recorded for the film, Out of the Furnace)
Houdini - Foster the People
One of These Nights - Eagles - SILVER

Not my favorite list, but it has a few songs that I like a lot. I love the lyrics to Straight to Hell, but I don't necessarily agree with them. I just like the way that they were written and sung, and I like the drum beat and the strings.

Listening to Don sing One of These Nights live at his concert made me like the song more than I did before. It's fun and I like the falsetto at the 2nd half of it.

Alpha is an instrumental that I really like, since it makes viewing the night sky that much cooler. I tried watching the Perseids while listening to the song, but I missed the part where there was a whole bunch of them. If there was a lot of them, the song would've helped more. I just like how it goes from a few instruments to a lot towards the end.

I'm sorry that I have a Frank Ocean song in my iPod. It was a promotional song for Converse, I think, and I only got downloaded it for the two members of The Clash, which were Simonon and Jones.

Jonny Come Lately
08-25-2016, 05:48 AM
Thought I'd try something a bit different with my next shuffle, which focusses on songs which I haven't played for a while.

I had the idea for this when I was listening to some Lynyrd Skynyrd and was playing The Needle and The Spoon. I think it's an excellent track and was thoroughly enjoying it and so I was surprised to discover that I had not actually listened to it since last autumn. I therefore thought it would be an interesting idea to do a shuffle playlist based around songs that I had not played recently.

To do this, I created a Smart Playlist in iTunes which I set it so that it included only songs that I had not played since 2015 (including songs that I hadn't played at all), and excluded live songs (I don't listen to live albums as often).

This meant that the playlist for this shuffle featured very little music by my usual favourites. Of the top of my head this meant there was:
- Virtually nothing by the Eagles (nothing at all from the studio albums. I think LWKUA was the only song on there)
- Virtually nothing by Pink Floyd (I've even found time to listen to some of my less favoured albums like More and Ummagumma), save for The Endless River
- Virtually nothing by Dire Straits apart from certain tracks from On Every Street
- Nothing by Led Zeppelin other than Coda
- Nothing by Bob Dylan other than some tracks from Freewheelin'
- Nothing at all by Don Henley or Joe Walsh
- Nothing at all by Lynyrd Skynyrd, or by Mark Knopfler as a solo artist

So here are the ten tracks that came up:

1. Sum - Pink Floyd
2. Eyes To Pearls - Pink Floyd
3. Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance - Bob Dylan
4. Strawberry Swing - Coldplay
5. Surfer Girl - The Beach Boys
6. T-Bone - Neil Young
7. Where Do You Think You're Going (Alternate) - Dire Straits
8. Lady Lynda - The Beach Boys
9. Shiver - Coldplay
10. Poor Tom - Led Zeppelin

Rather slim pickings here unfortunately, certainly nothing as good as The Needle and The Spoon which would easily have taken gold here, and nothing that really made me think 'how did I forget about that?'

Gold goes to Poor Tom, which is one of the better songs on Coda - John Bonham's drums alone lift it above several of the others, as does the quirky guitar riff. Shiver by Coldplay takes silver, which I think is one of their best songs. The version of Where Do You Think You're Going on Communique would probably have taken gold, but the alternate version (from the Money For Nothing compilation) isn't quite right, especially the guitar solo which isn't as strong or bold. I like the song enough to give it bronze though.

The two Endless River tracks are enjoyable but sound odd in isolation, especially the short Eyes To Pearls. Honey, Just Allow Me One More Chance is probably the weakest song on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. Of the two Beach Boys songs neither are particular favourites - I have to be in a certain place to enjoy Lady Lynda and it doesn't feature Brian Wilson IIRC. I should like Surfer Girl more than I do but I feel it drags a bit. I did consider putting the infamous T-Bone in my top three as despite its extremely repetitive nature I find it quite amusing, which is a stronger feeling than I have for several of the other songs here.

Jonny Come Lately
09-01-2016, 07:49 AM
At long last, I've got round to doing an Eagles shuffle! I've always thought Glenn was absolutely correct in making Long Road Out Of Eden a double album after so many years so in tribute to this I played and listened to twenty songs, enough to create two usable lists. I have to say compared to the last few shuffles, I was spoilt for choice - lots of excellent tracks came up, but whereas with my Don H shuffle there were some favourites but also some songs that I'm not that crazy about, the overall standard was very high with several of my top favourites appearing.

Eagles Shuffle, Part 1
The first ten songs to come up were:

1. Victim Of Love
2. Tequila Sunrise (HFO Live)
3. Pretty Maids All In A Row (HFO Live)
4. Saturday Night
5. Certain Kind Of Fool
6. Wasted Time (Reprise)
7. How Long (Live 1973)
8. It's Your World Now
9. Guilty of the Crime
10. Fast Company

There's a few live versions in here, including the original 1973 version of How Long as well as two HFO tracks. If all songs had been in their original studio versions, I'd have given gold to Victim Of Love - Felder's intro was a great start to the shuffle - but I think the HFO version of Pretty Maids All In A Row is very special indeed. What was already an emotionally powerful song gains extra poignancy when you see/hear a sober Joe singing it as he made a new start in his life, and his additional slide work on the intro and outro is wonderful, so it gets gold with VOL taking silver.

I remember back when everyone else shuffled their Eagles songs and how Wasted Time (Reprise) kept coming up in everyone's playlists. Yet again it shows up! :lol: There were a few strong candidates for bronze. The 1973 version of How Long is great, but suffers slightly from the fact that Don's vocals on the second verse aren't very audible (otherwise it's just as good as the 2007 version). Tequila Sunrise is another favourite of mine but was unlucky that the HFO performance of PMAIAR (one of my absolute favourite Eagles performances ever) came up, making me less inclined to choose another live song in my top three. In the end I decided to give bronze to Certain Kind Of Fool. It's just an all round great track IMO, and I particularly love the story it tells, especially the verse about where the outlaw/rock star gets his first gun/guitar. Saturday Night is a beautiful song though and could have taken that spot on a different day. I also got three straight LROOE tracks, of which I'd say It's Your World Now, another song which has gained additional meaning, is the best, although I enjoy GOTC as well.

Eagles Shuffle, Part 2
The second set of tracks was:

1. Bitter Creek
2. Visions
3. Last Good Time In Town
4. Take It Easy
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Learn To Be Still
7. Already Gone
8. Life In The Fast Lane
9. The Girl From Yesterday
10. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture

This one was even tougher! I think almost all of these songs are great. The only two I don't love are Visions and TGFY, and I can listen to both quite happily. All studio tracks this time around. Take It Easy is definitely amongst my all-time favourites, so it gets gold, and so are Already Gone and Life In The Fast Lane. There's very little to choose between those two IMO, so I just went with how I felt yesterday, meaning LITFL took silver and Already Gone got bronze. Tequila Sunrise was again unlucky just as the HFO version was in the first ten songs. In a different shuffle, I could easily have imagined giving gold to Bitter Creek, Last Good Time In Town (really enjoyed that one yesterday), Learn To Be Still (which my whole family loves) or Frail Grasp, but they all missed out as the competition was so intense.

One thing I noticed was that the shuffle was dominated by songs from Long Road Out Of Eden (5 tracks), Desperado, Hotel California and Hell Freezes Over (4 songs each). Interestingly this meant that songs from two post-reunion albums made up almost half the total, whereas Desperado was the only one of the first four albums to be represented by more than one song and there was nothing whatsoever from The Long Run. Another quirk is that I got nothing by Tim and more surprisingly none of Randy's tracks (unless you count Saturday Night), with only Bitter Creek for Bernie, but three of Joe's four Eagles songs appeared in some form (and the one that didn't was from TLR) and Don F's only lead vocal also came up.

RudieCantFail
09-10-2016, 02:56 AM
Ooh, cool shuffle, JCL! For Part 1, I would've picked How Long (Live 1973) as my #1 b/c I like that song a lot. Your Part 2 shuffle is hard to pick, like you said. I like Visions, but not enough to trump your #3. Learn to Be Still and Already Gone are really hard to pick at #3 for me. My top 3 would ultimately be the same as yours for Part 2.

Anyways, iPod Shuffle shuffle!

Alison - Elvis Costello
Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future Soundtrack (It says Marty McFly with the Starlighters, but M.J. Fox didn't sing or play guitar on it. Quoted from Wikipedia: "was recorded by Harry Waters, Jr. as Marvin Berry and Mark Campbell as Marty McFly, and the guitar solo by Tim May.")
The Heat Is On - Glenn Frey Live
One of These Nights - Eagles - BRONZE
Burning Love - Elvis Presley
Real World - Matchbox 20
Take It Easy - Eagles - SILVER
Lost in the Supermarket - The Clash
Song 2 - Blur
The End of the Innocence - Don Henley - GOLD

Although The End of the Innocence and Take It Easy are different songs stylistically, I like both of them the same. It's more of a tie, but I just give the edge to Don b/c of the several interpretations of the lyrics. Take It Easy is a better song for running as long as my knee doesn't mess up, but it's a great driving song. For 3rd, I just love One of These Nights. It's the falsettos and the disco sound. My mom loved it at the Don concert, since she loves Earth, Wind, and Fire. She watched an infomercial to get her disco fix once.

Jonny Come Lately
09-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Yeah, Part 2 of the Eagles shuffle was probably the strongest set of 10 songs I've had in any shuffle so far - I'd say I love eight of the ten songs, and looking back over the other random or artist specific I've done, nothing else can match that (I won't count the combined Don H/Eagles playlist I did for the journey to and from Don's gig, where I was picking from a playlist which I selected by myself and only featured songs I really like). Almost every one would have easily topped my weakest set of tracks, the 'haven't played in a long time' shuffle.

No new shuffle for me this time round, but there was one thing I said I'd do about six months ago and that was to pick my own top three from everyone else's Eagles shuffles. So here goes:

FP's list:
1. Victim Of Love
2. I Don't Want To Hear Any More (live in Sydney)
3. Hole In The World
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Pretty Maids All In A Row
6. Wasted Time (Reprise)
7. King Of Hollywood
8. I Dreamed There Was No War
9. Out Of Control
10. The Girl From Yesterday

I found this one easier than some of the others, as it doesn't contain as many of my top favourites as some of the other lists, my own included. I have the same top two, but the order is reversed as I think VOL edges the studio PMAIAR. King Of Hollywood takes bronze for me. If I was to give an honourable mention, I'd go for OOC.

Brooke's list:
1. Visions
2. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
3. Wasted Time (Reprise)
4. Midnight Flyer
5. The Last Resort
6. Hotel California (HFO version)
7. Saturday Night (Live)
8. Take It To The Limit
9. Tequila Sunrise (HFO)
10. After the Thrill Is Gone

The Last Resort is one of my favourite songs of all-time so I have give that one gold. After this it is two from three of the HFO Hotel California, TITTL and ATTIG. I have to say ATTIG is probably my second favourite song on the OOTN album right now behind only the title track, and I've been enjoying that version of HC too recently, so TITTL is the one to miss out. Sorry Randy!

L101's list:
1- After The Thrill Is Gone
2 - Desperado
3 - Wasted Time (Reprise)
4 - One Of These Nights
5 - Victim Of Love
6 - No More Cloudy Days
7 - Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
8 - Witchy Woman
9 - The Disco Strangler
10 - Try And Love Again

This was probably the toughest of the three to choose from! There are a lot more big favourites of mine here than there are medal places here, there are seven that I could conceivably have chosen from this group. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) is another all-time favourite so I'll give gold to that one, and I think I'll hand silver and bronze to OOTN and Desperado respectively, partly because I really enjoyed both live.

One shuffle I do plan to do next month is Lynyrd Skynyrd - over the last couple of years I've always played one of their albums as close to the anniversary of the plane crash (20th October) as possible, back then I only had their first two albums but now I think I've got enough to have an interesting and varied mix.

RudieCantFail
09-19-2016, 02:38 AM
For FP, I would've gave gold to KOH b/c it's my favorite song on TLR. Silver would've gone to VOL and Bronze would go to Midnight Flyer b/c I was surprised that I liked it, due to not being much of a banjo/country sound person. Actually, Pretty Maids and MF are almost tied for me, but I give the edge to the latter for surprising me when I first heard it several months ago.

For Brooke, Gold to The Last Resort, Silver to After the Thrill Is Gone, and Bronze to Take It to the Limit. It was cool to see and hear Don do The Last Resort live. I like ATTIG and TITTL almost the same, but I prefer Glenn and Don's vocals over Randy's. That's not to diss Randy at all, since oh boy, when he hits that high note. I just like ATTIG slightly better as a song.

For L101, yep, I agree that's a tough one to pick. For gold, OOTN and for silver, Witchy Woman. Bronze is hard to choose b/c there's Desperado, ATTIG, VOL, and The Disco Strangler (Just kidding about this). I'll give it to Desperado, since I like it when any Eagle sings it, with the exception of Don Felder if he ever has. On a side note, I can't stand Felder's use of live auto tune. Glenn, Don, and Joe can sing that song just fine.

Ok, here's my Starred Spotify 67 song shuffle (Yep, I know it's not a lot):

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Hugo Montenegro and His Orchestra - BRONZE
Hello Mary Lou (Goodbye Heart) - Ricky Nelson
Nightingale - Eagles
December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night) - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Johnny Strikes Up the Band - Warren Zevon
Evil Woman - Electric Light Orchestra - SILVER
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix - GOLD
In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Louie Louie - The Kingsmen

Oh boy, I need to add and update more songs to my Spotify playlist, since I haven't used Spotify much lately. I was almost going to pick just one favorite song for this shuffle.

I love Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower. The guitar is enough said, and it's a great motivation song for running faster for me. After hearing Evil Woman on an airport shuttle car's radio, I wanted to listen to it over and over again. I didn't know it was ELO at the time, and this was summer 2015. My bronze pick is just based on how much I like Ennio Morricone's scores for Sergio Leone's movies. I like Nightingale though, but not enough to edge out TG, TB, and TU.

Question: When you do an Eagles, Henley, your eventual Lynyrd Skynyrd or etc. shuffle, do you use your CDs/MP3s or do you use Spotify?

Jonny Come Lately
09-21-2016, 06:18 PM
Question: When you do an Eagles, Henley, your eventual Lynyrd Skynyrd or etc. shuffle, do you use your CDs/MP3s or do you use Spotify?

Apologies for not responding to this earlier - I always use MP3s, usually this is on my iPod although I can also do this on my computer as well. I don't use Spotify myself, although I'm familiar with how it works. The range of artists and number of albums on my iPod is probably quite small for the number of tracks I have, but a lot of the albums I own are complete - I tend to buy albums rather than individual tracks, and usually buy them on CD and then upload to my computer. (This explains why when I do the random shuffles, the same artists keep coming up, but usually not the same songs).

I tend to download albums in one of these three situations:
- If they are by a band I quite like but not especially crazy about (e.g. The Allman Brothers)
- If I have a number of other tracks on different albums (e.g. The End of the Innocence, where I have exactly half the songs on the Actual Miles CD)
- If I consider it to be a 'low priority' release (e.g. Pink Floyd's soundtrack albums) - generally these are albums I like to have but rarely listen to.

I used to download most of my music (I didn't buy CDs regularly until about two years ago), and have since replaced most of my favourite downloaded albums on CD, including replacing my downloads of the first three Eagles albums plus TLR with the Studio Albums box set.

I'm sure I'd listening to Spotify if I gave it a go, but I'm not sure there would be any great point for me if I just used it to listen to music I already love by the Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc. which I already have on CD and MP3 format - to truly justify it I would probably end up using it for songs/artists that I like enough to want to listen to, but not enough to actually want to own it or listen to the full album.

Usually when I'm doing a shuffle, I just go to the artist and shuffle all their songs randomly. If I'm doing a completely random shuffle I just choose to shuffle all songs on my iPod or on my computer. On other occasions I have created smart playlists to create the pool of songs that I want, as with the one where it only came up with songs I hadn't played since last year. I'd also do for this example in case I wanted to do a Neil Young shuffle - my iTunes lists 'Neil Young' and 'Neil Young & Crazy Horse' as separate artists in my library so I would probably want to include songs by both in the shuffle rather than the two separately.

Jonny Come Lately
10-22-2016, 05:09 PM
I listened to my Lynyrd Skynyrd songs on shuffle this morning in honour of the band to mark the anniversary of the plane crash and pay my respects to Ronnie, Steve and the others who lost their lives that day. I don't want to make this seem too serious, it is just a shuffle playlist after all. I guess I personally find it good to play their music around this time of year. So here's the ten songs that came up:

1. Georgia Peaches
2. The Needle And The Spoon
3. That Smell
4. Mr. Banker
5. Simple Man
6. Railroad Song
7. Things Goin' On
8. Call Me The Breeze
9. Down South Jukin'
10. Whiskey Rock-A Roller

Pretty good list overall, I think. It's probably not quite as strong as say my second Eagles shuffle, but quite a lot of good stuff, and two of my top three songs by them came up here. I think Simple Man is my number one favourite Lynyrd Skynyrd song, so I gave gold to that, although That Smell is also one of their absolute best and a very close second. There were a couple of other songs which I think are strong candidates for the bronze medal, notably The Needle and The Spoon and Things Goin', but I ultimately went for Railroad Song, which is either my favourite or second favourite from Nuthin' Fancy (either that or Saturday Night Special). On All four of the albums I own are represented here - I got four songs from the Pronounced... era, including both of the unique (i.e. non-demo/alternate version) bonus tracks from the deluxe edition, and two songs from each of the other three albums I have, although in the case of Street Survivors the other song aside from That Smell is also from that album's deluxe edition.

Freypower
11-19-2016, 11:58 PM
This is from a playlist. Some of the songs reflected my feelings about recent events.

1. Return Of The Giant Hogweed - Genesis
2. Can't Turn Back The Years - Phil Collins
3. Baby Please Don't Go - Them
4. Take Me To The Mardi Gras - Paul Simon
5. Sunspot Baby - Bob Seger
6. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture - Eagles
7. Learn To Be Still - Eagles
8. Time To Heal - Midnight Oil
9. Let's Impeach The President - Neil Young :smile:
10. The Jean Genie - David Bowie

Take Me To The Mardi Gras just pipped Baby Please Don't Go. Both songs mention New Orleans (Mardi Gras is about New Orleans, obviously).

Delilah
11-21-2016, 01:50 AM
This is from a playlist. Some of the songs reflected my feelings about recent events.

Take Me To The Mardi Gras just pipped Baby Please Don't Go. Both songs mention New Orleans (Mardi Gras is about New Orleans, obviously).

FYI, I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but cities other than New Orleans observe Mardi Gras e.g. Galveston, Tx hosts a big celebration. Of course, New Orleans' party is the best-known.

WalshFan88
03-24-2017, 02:28 AM
1. Like You Do - REO Speedwagon
2. Slow And Easy - Whitesnake
3. How I Got To Be This Way - Justin Moore
4. Gasoline Alley - Rod Stewart
5. My Favorite Mistake - Sheryl Crow
6. Roller Coaster - Luke Bryan
7. Any Way You Want It - Journey
8. Rock Steady - Bad Company
9. Drops Of Jupiter - Train
10. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

Jonny Come Lately
06-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Did one of these a couple of days ago for the first time in a while:

1. Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
2. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
3. Waiting For The Worms - Pink Floyd
4. Black Country Woman - Led Zeppelin
5. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
6. More Blues - Pink Floyd
7. Outlaw Blues - Bob Dylan
8. The Old Laughing Lady - Neil Young
9. Sands of Nevada - Mark Knopfler
10. Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band

Led Zeppelin were the best represented band/artist in this shuffle, contributing three of the ten songs, and also have my two favourites from this selection. There's not a lot between them, although I marginally prefer Immigrant Song, so that takes gold. I'm fond of Black Country Woman also, but I think Albatross (my favourite pre-Lindsey/Stevie era FM track) is the third best track here. No Eagles or solo works this time around, which is a shame because with the exception of Waiting For The Worms and Jessica I'm not that wild about most of the other tracks. I'd have preferred Outlaw Man to Dylan's Outlaw Blues, which although good isn't one of my favourites from Bringing It All Back Home. The other three tracks are okay, but far from being among my favourites by those respective artists. Overall - one of the easier ones I've done, and I think my top three were the clear standouts from this cohort.

Jonny Come Lately
07-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Another shuffle I did a week or so ago:

1. Cirrus Minor - Pink Floyd
2. All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. Entre Nous - Rush
4. Water of Love - Dire Straits
5. Trampled Under Foot (Live) - Led Zeppelin
6. Help Me Rhonda - The Beach Boys
7. In Any Tongue - David Gilmour
8. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - Bob Dylan
9. Fast Company - Eagles
10. Can-Utility And The Coastliners - Genesis

Out of this group, the two Bob Dylan-penned songs stand out to me, with Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower (my favourite Dylan cover) edging out Tom Thumb's Blues for gold, although both are great tracks. Bronze goes to Trampled Under Foot, because I think it's the best of the other songs, although the studio version could have taken a higher placing as I don't consider it to be a standout performance on Celebration Day. I did get an Eagles song this time around, but unfortunately for me it was Fast Company - not exactly one of my favourites! The other songs are generally good rather than great, although I enjoyed hearing the Rush and Genesis songs.

WalshFan88
08-02-2017, 12:46 AM
1. My Maria - Brooks & Dunn
2. Rats In The Cellar - Aerosmith
3. Renegade - Styx
4. Mama's Broken Heart - Miranda Lambert
5. Long Train Runnin' - The Doobie Brothers
6. Flora-Bama - Kenny Chesney
7. Master Of Puppets - Metallica
8. Can't Get Enough - Bad Company
9. City Of The Angels - Journey
10. Some Kind Of Wonderful - Grand Funk Railroad

There was a LOT of good songs here but my fav is highlighted.

Jonny Come Lately
08-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Another random shuffle I did about a month or so ago but never got round to putting up:

1. Young Lust - Pink Floyd
2. Pony Boy - The Allman Brothers Band
3. Let There Be More Light - Pink Floyd
4. Fare Thee Well Northumberland - Mark Knopfler
5. Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd
6. I Can Hear Your Heartbeat - Chris Rea
7. James Dean - Eagles
8. On The Run (Live) - Pink Floyd
9. A Saucerful of Secrets - Pink Floyd
10. Train In The Distance - Don Henley

I have to say this was a rather Pink Floyd-heavy set of songs - I have a lot of tracks by them admittedly, but five songs out of ten is a lot for one artist and not representative of my music collection! It's probably unsurprising therefore that their songs take two of the medal positions, with gold for Let There Be More Light (one of my favourite early Floyd songs) and bronze for Goodbye Blue Sky ahead of Young Lust. Of the non-PF songs, James Dean was definitely the song I enjoyed most, so I gave it silver. I considered giving a medal position to Train In The Distance, but I just enjoyed the three songs I picked more that day - I think I was in more of a rock mood. I don't have much to say about the other three songs really, although I like Fare Thee Well Northumberland quite a lot.

WalshFan88
02-20-2018, 03:05 AM
1. Roll With The Changes - REO Speedwagon
2. Ventilator Blues - The Rolling Stones
3. Surrender - Cheap Trick
4. My Michelle - Guns N' Roses
5. Lights Come On - Jason Aldean
6. Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty
7. Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image
8. Slow And Easy - Whitesnake
9. Hillbilly Deluxe - Brooks And Dunn
10. Let It Ride - Bachman Turner Overdrive

Freypower
02-21-2018, 12:19 AM
Nice to see this revived. These are from a playlist & they are very high quality tracks:

1. Find The River - REM
2. Endless Place - Sherbet
3. The Ballad Of Danny Bailey (1909 - 34) - Elton John
4. THe Heart Of The Matter - Eagles
5. Valentine's Day - David Bowie
6. Sick Again - Led Zeppelin
7. The Voice - Moody Blues
8. I'm Gonna Crawl - Led Zeppelin
9. Cry For Home - Van Morrison & Tom Jones
10. Throwing It All Away - Genesis

FannyBeTender
02-23-2018, 11:49 AM
Interesting thread!

My "shuffle" comes from listening to Pandora this morning:

Safety Dance--Men Without Hats
Uptown Girl--Billy Joel
Take My Breath Away--Berlin
Just a Song Before I Go--Crosby, Stills, & Nash
Parachute--Timothy B. Schmit
Maneater--Hall & Oates
Carry On Wayward Son--Kansas
Take On Me--A-Ha
Margaritaville--Jimmy Buffett
Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World--Israel "TZ" Kamakwiwo'ole
(Bonus song) Knee Deep--Zac Brown Band (with Jimmy Buffett)

groupie2686
03-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Interesting game. This is from the songs on my computer

1. Badlands - Bruce Springsteen
2. Tequila Sunrise - Eagles
3. That's the Way - Led Zeppelin
4. The Way She Loves Me - Richard Marx
5. Crying Over You - Dave Clark Five
6. The One You Love - Glenn Frey
7. The Show Must Go On - Queen
8. Is This the World We Created - Queen
9. Land of the Living - Don Henley
10. Act Naturally - The Beatles

I was going to do the medal thing, but this shuffle came up so good, I couldn't narrow it down to 2 for the silver and bronze...Badlands, That's the Way, The One You Love, and the two Queen songs that came up are all contenders, I couldn't possibly choose!

FannyBeTender
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM
My shuffle today comes courtesy of the music usb I bring with me to work everyday:

Spirits (Having Flown)--Bee Gees
Jive Talkin'--Bee Gees
Anything Like Me--Brad Paisley
One Summer's Day--Spirited Away soundtrack
The More I See You--Michael Buble
Love So Right (Live)--Bee Gees
Way Down We Go--Kaleo
Still Waters--Bee Gees
Wildflower--Bee Gees
Behind Those Eyes--3 Doors Down

....so I might have a few Bee Gees songs in my collection, lol. ;)

TW
03-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Very interesting thread!

Silly Love Songs - Wings
Dogs - Pink Floyd
The Best of Everything - Tom Petty
Carouselambra - Led Zeppelin
The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
do re mi - Blackbear
The Jack - AC/DC
I Can't Stand Still - Don Henley
Learning to Fly (Live) - Tom Petty
Homecoming - Kanye West

luciknight
03-09-2018, 03:22 PM
Bad Things - Jace Everett
Lunar Eclipse - David Bryan
I Did it for Your Love - Glenn Frey
The Bith is Back - Elton John
Night Fever - The Bee Gees
Come Rain or Come Shine - Ray Charles (could have been Henley's lol)
Stranger in This Town - Richie Sambora
Scars on this Guitar - Bon Jovi
Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
Can You Feel the Love Tonight? - The Lion King

WalshFan88
11-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Bad Motor Scooter - Montrose
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye - Luke Bryan
Rocket Queen - Guns N' Roses
There Goes Another Love Song - Outlaws
Hotel Key - Old Dominion
One - Metallica
Back In The USSR - The Beatles
Shelter Me - Cinderella
Silver, Blue, and Gold - Bad Company
Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution - AC/DC

WalshFan88
02-10-2019, 12:43 AM
1. Draw The Line - Aerosmith
2. My Michelle - Guns N' Roses
3. Shattered - The Rolling Stones
4. Dirt - Florida Georgia Line
5. Tales Of Brave Ulysses - Cream
6. In The Dark - Billy Squier
7. 5150 - Dierks Bentley
8. City Of The Angels - Journey
9. Whammer Jammer - J. Geils Band
10. Carry On - CSNY

CAinOH
02-10-2019, 01:01 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my computer to shuffle all the music. Not sure where my MP3 player is.

WalshFan88
02-12-2019, 08:22 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my computer to shuffle all the music. Not sure where my MP3 player is.

Do you use iTunes?

CAinOH
02-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Do you use iTunes?

Oh, no. I don't touch Apple products or software.

(I actually have a playlist of most of my favorites. I just need to add some songs to it and shuffle it.)

takeiteasy
02-14-2019, 02:39 PM
2-And I Love Her--The Beatles

Don't Be Afraid--Boston

3-Feelin' Satisfied--Boston

Starlight Ride--Camel

Supertwister--Camel

Earthrise--Camel

Song Withing a Song--Camel

Chord Change--Camel

Air Born--Camel

1-Lady Fantasy--Camel