PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Oscars

LuvTim
02-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Hi, all! Watching the Oscars. Noticing how well our friends from Ireland are represented tonight! :-D

Loved Saoirse Ronan in "Brooklyn!"

L101
02-29-2016, 08:22 AM
I've yet to see Brooklyn!! :shh: :smile:
Sure you can't have the Oscars without some Irish there!! Heard Saoirse and her mom had a great night :grin:

I'm disappointed that Saoirse didn't win the Oscar, but there's always next year! Congrats to Brie Larson on her win though (still have to see that movie as well).

I can't believe that Sam Smith won best original song - I thought that was the worst of all the Bond theme songs.

Brooke
02-29-2016, 12:47 PM
I watched bits and pieces and finally gave up at 9:30!

I'm glad Leonardo Di Caprio finally won one! Loved The Revenant and wish it would have won Best Picture.

AlreadyGone95
02-29-2016, 12:52 PM
I was going to watch the Oscars, but I ended up watching To Kill a Mockingbird instead.Glad that Leonardo DiCaprio finally won for best actor!

OutlawManNJ
02-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Worst Oscar ceremony ever.

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 02:23 PM
I've yet to see Brooklyn!! :shh: :smile:
Sure you can't have the Oscars without some Irish there!! Heard Saoirse and her mom had a great night :grin:
Well, you've just got to see it. I think it's just lovely. I hope you'll like it as much.
I'm disappointed that Saoirse didn't win the Oscar, but there's always next year! Congrats to Brie Larson on her win though (still have to see that movie as well).
I saw Brie in "Room." Another great movie and Brie was so good in it, so yes, "Congrats!" to her.
I can't believe that Sam Smith won best original song - I thought that was the worst of all the Bond theme songs. ...
I didn't really have an opinion on that one. I liked all the songs, I guess. But, Gaga's performance was very moving.

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 02:28 PM
I watched bits and pieces and finally gave up at 9:30!

I'm glad Leonardo Di Caprio finally won one! Loved The Revenant and wish it would have won Best Picture.

Yes, I was glad for Leo even though I didn't see "The Revenant." I've heard and read a lot about it, though, and it seemed to be the consensus that an Oscar this year was well-deserved. :-)

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 02:30 PM
I was going to watch the Oscars, but I ended up watching To Kill a Mockingbird instead.Glad that Leonardo DiCaprio finally won for best actor!

Well, of course, TKAM is a worthy alternative! :-) Great movie! And these award ceremonies can get so tiresome. :shrug:

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Worst Oscar ceremony ever.

I muted the show a few times and kept my tablet open and on my lap the whole time. It was taking so lonnngg. Zzzzz...

NightMistBlue
02-29-2016, 02:58 PM
I watched the whole thing and i don't know why.

I know that Sam Smith kid is only 23 but how dumb do you have to be not to just Google something like "gay Oscar winners" - there is Elton John and Sir John Gielgud and loads of people.

buffyfan145
02-29-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm so happy Leo finally won!!! :D I've been a fan of his since I was a pre-teen and this was so well deserved. I'm also happy for Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander.

So far I've only seen 2 of the films that were up for Best Picture: "The Martian", which was great, and "Brooklyn". I loved "Brooklyn" so much as it mirrors my own great-grandparent's story but the nationalities are reversed and happened earlier than the film. My Italian great-grandmother immigrated in the 20s and met my Irish-American great-grandfather in the 30s. So I felt like I weirdly was watching their story along with both sets of my grandparents that met & married in the 50s.

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 06:14 PM
I watched the whole thing and i don't know why.

I know that Sam Smith kid is only 23 but how dumb do you have to be not to just Google something like "gay Oscar winners" - there is Elton John and Sir John Gielgud and loads of people.

LOL... :-D

Really. My first thought was, "What about Elton John?"

LuvTim
02-29-2016, 06:16 PM
I'm so happy Leo finally won!!! :D I've been a fan of his since I was a pre-teen and this was so well deserved. I'm also happy for Brie Larson and Alicia Vikander.

So far I've only seen 2 of the films that were up for Best Picture: "The Martian", which was great, and "Brooklyn". I loved "Brooklyn" so much as it mirrors my own great-grandparent's story but the nationalities are reversed and happened earlier than the film. My Italian great-grandmother immigrated in the 20s and met my Irish-American great-grandfather in the 30s. So I felt like I weirdly was watching their story along with both sets of my grandparents that met & married in the 50s.

That's so cool, buffy! :-)

L101
03-03-2016, 06:00 PM

That's so cool Buffy! I've heard good and bad reviews about Brooklyn so I wasn't that pushed on watching it but when I read your comment, it made it sound a lot more interesting so I'll give a go on Sunday night when I get back from my weekend away (that's all I'll be able for :grin:)