PDA

View Full Version : Better Late Than Never

JanetteG
02-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Hello,

I've been posting away on other threads but never realized I should introduce myself. Glenn's very sad death brought me here because I wanted to reach out to others who were, like me, surprised at how hard it hit them. I had a very long 'time out' from the Eagles but am happy to rediscover them, even though the circumstances are so unhappy. As I have explained elsewhere, I usually write on classical music and opera but when Glenn died, I was suddenly aware of how much the Eagles had coloured my youth - far, far more than the Beatles and Stones and I'm from London.

tequila mockingbird
02-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Welcome cmacg and Janette! Happy to have you here. :bye:

Witchy Woman
02-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Welcome, Janette !!

LuvTim
02-28-2016, 10:28 PM
So pleased to welcome you, Janette. :-)

AlreadyGone95
02-29-2016, 03:12 AM
Welcome to the Border!

NightMistBlue
02-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Welcome, Janette. You're a wonderful writer.

Brooke
02-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Welcome from me, too, Janette!

UndertheWire
02-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Welcome, Janette. Does this mean you're sticking with the Eagles (and us) for a while? If so, what did you think if the History of the Eagles documentary?

NOLA
03-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Welcome and enjoy. :)

WalshFan88
03-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Welcome.

JanetteG
03-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks to you all for your welcome - and to NightMistBlue for your kind words.
Yes, UTW, I have decided to come back and visit you all from time to time. I find wonderful photos and all sorts of stories and info. As for the HOTE doc, well, I had to edit a paragraph out of my tribute to Glenn that most of you read. Because it was originally going into a newspaper, I had to whittle it down. But there was a paragraph that said that I'd had a small reminder of Glenn and the Eagles last summer while visiting my ex-boyfriend in Vancouver. He was, and is, obsessed by HOTE and made me watch it. As most of you now know, I'd moved off to write about classical music and opera and thought that I wasn't interested. So I sulked a bit but finally sat down on the couch and was immediately riveted. At one point my ex started saying that Glenn was 'arrogant' etc and I sprang to his defence and that's when the 20 year old in me, started to stir. I promised myself that I would get tickets for their next performance whenever or wherever it was.
Alas, that was not to be....

So UTW, long answer but I have now joined my ex and happily watch and rewatch the documentary -well part1. I haven't got to part 2 yet. He is a documentary film-maker and considers it an excellent piece of work. I agree. What luck that they have so much amateur footage of those days back in the 70s. I recommend it to all my friends - it's just a great piece of film-making and social history.

Oh and btw, the ex takes back his remarks and sort of admires Glenn whom he sees as a 'glorious b*st*rd'. Glorious indeed.

cheers from London

UndertheWire
03-22-2016, 09:59 AM
It's a great documentary. It took me from being just mildy interested in revisiting a band from my youth, to being slightly obsessed. I get these obsessions where I have to research everything I can find (English Civil War, Apollo moon landings, economics of the film industry are examples of earlier obsessions).
If you haven't read it before, you may enjoy this review of the documentary by Bill Simmonds http://grantland.com/features/the-eagles-greatest-hit/

JanetteG
03-22-2016, 10:44 AM
UTW - Funny coincidence - I read the Bill Simmons piece just yesterday and sent it to the 'obsessed-ex' in BC. It's a great piece of writing - very funny and frank...
And yes I'm an obsessive too. No novel would ever get written without a huge streak of obsessiveness in the writer. There again, we're in good company...no great albums would get made or bands created without obsession...