PDA

View Full Version : Rate Randy's Top Eagles Tracks

jwalk87
02-29-2016, 08:50 PM
1. Take It to the Limit - No brainer...timeless, incredible song. And I always make sure to listen to it until the end so I get to hear the highest voice of all-time.
2. Try and Love Again - Amazing last song for him with the band. I dare anyone to listen to this song without singing along.
3. Is It True? -Another song I really enjoy. you can see why this song wasn't a major hit, but it's one of my favorites. Love the slide guitar by Glenn.
4. Midnight Flyer - Love the pace of this song. And that banjo by Bernie is out of this world.
^^^Midnight Flyer/Is It True? are a major reason On the Border is my second favorite Eagles record.
5. Most of Us Are Sad - Beautiful song. This band is great at making you sing along with their sad songs and this is a prime example!
6. Tryin' - I love the sound and sentiment of this song. It fits perfectly for 1972.
7. Too Many Hands - I love how his voice sounds. Unfortunately, I think this song is overshadowed by the brilliance of the rest of One Of These Nights.
8. Certain Kind of Fool - Great emotion in this vocal performance. I like it more each time I listen to it. I wish Randy would have been given more lead vocals on the Desperado album.
9. Take the Devil - Another song that I like. It's just that I tend to enjoy love songs the best and this is a little darker of a song.

I'd also like to bring attention to Randy's part in the song Nightingale from the Eagles' first record. I was recently blown away by how much his voice captured MY attention at the 1:20 mark. It's reminiscent of his voice coming through in Take It Easy. You can also hear his voice pretty prominently throughout the rest of the song, but I really gear myself up to sing that part.

Hope to see some more lists!

OutlawManNJ
02-29-2016, 10:41 PM
Take the devil is much higher for me , like top 3

My lowest rated would probably be (but i still like them!)
Is it true
Tryin

Ive always been a dreamer
02-29-2016, 11:59 PM
1. Take It to the Limit
2. Try and Love Again
3. Certain Kind of Fool
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Most of Us Are Sad
6. Too Many Hands
7. Is It True?
8. Tryin'
9. Take the Devil

Scarlet Sun
03-01-2016, 12:19 AM
1. Take It to the Limit
2. Try and Love Again
3. Most of Us Are Sad
4. Is It True?
5. Midnight Flyer
6. Certain Kind of Fool
7. Take the Devil
(C)
8. Tryin'
(OD)
9. Too Many Hands

UndertheWire
03-01-2016, 06:42 AM
My favourites (Randy tracks) are Take the Devil and Tryin' which were both written and sung by Randy - I prefer Randy with more of a "rock" vocal. I love the words of Certain Kind of Fool but not the vocals.

buffyfan145
03-01-2016, 11:28 AM
I agree with most of the order too in the first post. "Take it to the Limit" is actually my top favorite Eagles song and like I said in another thread I wrote a scene to that song when I was a pre-teen, that one day I will fit in one of my novels. I just haven't found the right story yet. :)

Brooke
03-01-2016, 02:23 PM
1. Take It to the Limit
2. Try and Love Again
3. Certain Kind of Fool
4. Most of Us Are Sad
5. Too Many Hands
6. Is It True
7. Take the Devil
8. Tryin'
9. Midnight Flyer

NightMistBlue
03-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I'm cr*p at ranking things. I can't even decide what my favorite color is.

LuvTim
03-02-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm cr*p at ranking things. I can't even decide what my favorite color is.

Omg, NMB, I so know what you mean! :-D

DJ
03-03-2016, 05:00 PM
1. Certain Kinda Fool
2. TITTL
3. Take The Devil
4. Midnight Flyer
5. Most of Us are Sad
6. Try and Love Again
7. Tryin
8. Is It True
9. Too Many Hands

:yay:

Jonny Come Lately
07-12-2016, 09:21 AM
Been meaning to post mine for ages - finally going to get round to it!

Of Randy's nine lead vocals, I like all of them but it's weird because I can pretty neatly divide almost all of them into two groups of four:
- My four favourites, all of which are great songs and amongst the best Eagles songs.
- Four songs that I like and enjoy, but which aren't amongst my top favourites of their respective albums IMO.
This leaves one song, which falls exactly in between these two groups - Too Many Hands. I don't think it's quite as good as my top four, but I prefer it to the four below it.

1. Try And Love Again
2. Take The Devil
3. Take It To The Limit
4. Certain Kind of Fool
5. Too Many Hands
6. Is It True?
7. Midnight Flyer
8. Most Of Us Are Sad
9. Tryin'

There isn't really much between the top four in my opinion, although I went for Try and Love Again as it is such a good all round song (lyrics, music, vocals). I can remember when I first heard Hotel California almost exactly three years ago immediately being struck by TALA's opening. The fact that Take It To The Limit is 'only' third on my list is more of a reflection of how much I love the first two, as TITTL is certainly a classic song. CKOF has possibly my favourite lyric from this group along with TALA, and I really like everything else about it too.

I think Too Many Hands is an interesting and unique addition to the Eagles canon. I really like the lyrics, which are a bit like CKOF in that they have more than one possible yet distinct meaning, as well as the guitars. I really like Randy's bass part that starts around 2:55 too. Is It True is in my view underrated, it's a solidly constructed song and I like the vocals and guitar work a lot. I struggled to split Midnight Flyer and MOUAS - I think I perhaps slightly prefer the latter as a song but the musicianship on the former (especially the flanged slide solo. In fact, looking at this list really reminds me of the 'Glenn plays lead on the bass player's songs' rule of thumb! :) ) made me give the former the edge. Tryin' is last, but I still like it! I prefer it live than on the record though.

Annoying Twit
07-12-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm also rubbish at ranking things. So, I'll pretty much agree with JCL's listing.

Try and Love Again has always been one of my all time favourite songs. I played it over and over when I was younger.

Take The Devil is great. I'd put Most of Us Are Sad a bit higher though.

sodascouts
07-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Mine probably looks a little different than most after you get past #1.

1. Take It to the Limit (my all-time fave)
2. Most of Us Are Sad
3. Too Many Hands
4. Certain Kind of Fool
5. Try and Love Again
6. Midnight Flyer
7. Take the Devil
8. Tryin'
9. Is It True

WS82Classics
07-16-2016, 09:18 PM
1. Too Many Hands
2. Take it to the Limit
3. Midnight Flyer
4. Try and Love Again
5. Most of Us are Sad
6. Tryin'
7. Take the Devil
8. Is it True?
9. Certain Kind of Fool

NightMistBlue
07-16-2016, 10:40 PM
I love Randy's soaring vocals on Life in the Fast Lane, though it's not Randy's song per se.

Delilah
08-30-2016, 11:53 PM
I saw the other guys have their Ultimate Classic Rock lists posted so I thought I'd post Randy's too. It includes non-Eagles tracks. Here's their top 10 for Randy:

1. Take It to the Limit
2. Tryin'
3. Saturday Night
4. Daughter of the Sky (Randy Meisner 1978 )
5. Is It True?
6. Try and Love Again
7. Strangers (Randy Meisner 1982)
8. Bad Man (Randy Meisner 1978 )
9. Too Many Hands
10. Nothin' to Hide (Legacy by Poco)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/randy-meisner-songs/

Too Many Hands
10-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Hey, my first real post!

I would split his body of work into two groups:

1. Too Many Hands
2. Is It True?
3. Try and Love Again ... had it been released as a single I think this song would have been huge on the charts!
4. Take the Devil
5. Take It To The Limit

And the vocal contributions to One of These Nights and Take It Easy, which really help elevate both songs. His high harmonies over the years are probably his most underrated contribution.

6. Certain Kind of Fool
7. Tryin' ... although the live version is more to my taste!
8. Most of Us are Sad
9. Midnight Flyer

Thanks!