PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern CA

FWIW
03-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Hello! I'm another fan who recently joined this group after having an unexpectedly difficult time accepting Glenn Frey's passing. Soda, what a wonderful treasure chest of memories you have gathered. Thank you!

I go way back with the Eagles. I grew up in Southern California and my mother always had the radio tuned to KFI in the morning as I ate breakfast before school. Two songs that first captivated me were Take It To The Limit and Joni Mitchell's Help Me (which I have now learned was written about Glenn Frey!) It is interesting now to read about the importance of getting songs played on AM radio. I didn't understand it back then.

The very first album I bought with my own money was Their Greatest Hits (1971 - 1975) and I played it over and over again. I gradually purchased the earlier albums and was very excited when Hotel California and The Long Run came out. The first Eagles concert I attended was the infamous benefit for Alan Cranston. I was truly hooked, only to be devastated when I read Robert Hilburn's piece "A Long Run is Over" in the LA Times just a short while later.

During the 80s, I tried to pretend the Eagles didn't break up by mixing my own custom "playlists" on cassette tapes, combining Eagles songs with some of Glenn and Don's solo songs. It almost worked! I attended several of Glenn and Don's solo shows and while I loved them, it just wasn't the same as the Eagles. I missed the harmonies.

By the 90s, I had moved to Northern California. I was so excited when the Hell Freezes Over tour was announced. I camped out in line to get tickets to the show at the Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View. What a great show. I think I was hoarse for the next 2-3 days!

Life got busy in the 00s. I didn't get to many shows, but I never stopped listening to Eagles songs. And now, I'm feeling like so many others here. I am *still* a bit stunned and I don't know if I've fully accepted Glenn's death. I am fully enjoying reading all the wonderful content in this message board. It's been cathartic for me.

I guess this is a bit of a long-winded introduction. But the Eagles have been such a meaningful part of my life.

LuvTim
03-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Welcome, FWIW. You're in good company here. :-)

Witchy Woman
03-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Welcome, FWIW !!

zeldabjr
03-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Welcome to the Border FWIW!! Hope you enjoy it here!

AlreadyGone95
03-05-2016, 01:49 AM
Welcome to the Border.

WalshFan88
03-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Welcome.

UndertheWire
03-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the long-winded introduction. I always enjoy reading about how we all became fans.

Your comment about the wealth of information on this board made reminded me that as fans we are putting together the kind of tribute we feel Glenn deserves no matter how indifferent the media may be.

FWIW
03-06-2016, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone. It's nice to see that my long-windedness is appreciated.

I also like to hear how others became fans, especially the younger generation. My kids don't mind Eagles music, but I wouldn't necessarily call them fans. It certainly isn't for lack of trying!

tequila mockingbird
03-06-2016, 11:20 PM
Welcome FWIW! Glad that you're here. :grin:

Brooke
03-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the Border, FWIW! Glad you found us and I, too, enjoyed your introduction!

Enjoy yourself here!

NOLA
03-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Welcome and enjoy. :)

DJ
03-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Welcome and have fun.

NightMistBlue
03-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Welcome, FWIW. I enjoyed reading about your Eagles journey.