PDA

View Full Version : Joe - The Future

Funk 50
03-05-2016, 09:06 AM
I got the impression that the gap between rumours of summer dates with Bad Company surfacing and the official announcement of the One Hell Of A Night Tour was Joe making sure that there will be no Eagles related commitments this summer.

If his 40 year connection with the Eagles is truly over, I think Joe is almost certain to become part of (another)super group.

Before HFO, he put together a band with Frankie Miller and Nicky Hopkins. He may also have been part of Felder, Schmit's & Co's The Malibu Men's Choir although I believe Felder didn't want him in the band.

I'm sure Felder would fancy putting that band together again, welcoming Joe with open arms, now he's sober.

Side projects and Super groups are 10-a-penny now so, although I fully expect Joe to continue with his solo projects, I also expect him to get heavily involved with an act that he's not the boss. As Paul Rogers was a guy he said he'd like to work with, it may be sooner rather than later.

I think Joe believes that Henley will also miss being in a band so don't think Joe will write off the Eagles just yet.

LuvTim
03-05-2016, 02:03 PM
I got the impression that the gap between rumours of summer dates with Bad Company surfacing and the official announcement of the One Hell Of A Night Tour was Joe making sure that there will be no Eagles related commitments this summer.

If his 40 year connection with the Eagles is truly over, I think Joe is almost certain to become part of (another)super group.

Before HFO, he put together a band with Frankie Miller and Nicky Hopkins. He may also have been part of Felder, Schmit's & Co's The Malibu Men's Choir although I believe Felder didn't want him in the band.

I'm sure Felder would fancy putting that band together again, welcoming Joe with open arms, now he's sober.

Side projects and Super groups are 10-a-penny now so, although I fully expect Joe to continue with his solo projects, I also expect him to get heavily involved with an act that he's not the boss. As Paul Rogers was a guy he said he'd like to work with, it may be sooner rather than later.

I think Joe believes that Henley will also miss being in a band so don't think Joe will write off the Eagles just yet.

Funk50, hello! Do you know where I can find out more about this Malibu Men's choir band? I've done a web search but no information is readily available. Thanks! :-)

Freypower
03-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Here is a link to the threads where we discussed the Malibu Men's Choir.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=304496&highlight=malibu+men%27s+choir#post304496

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4814&highlight=malibu+men%27s+choir

I have no idea if Joe would just suddenly want to work with Felder again. I don't think it's that simple.

I am not going to comment on the speculation that the Eagles could continue. I see no point in responding to these remarks.

Also, F50, don't you think you could have phrased the 'Joe making sure there would be no Eagles' related commitments' comments rather more delicately?

Yes, yes. Move on. :ziplip:

WalshFan88
03-05-2016, 06:07 PM
OP:

There won't be any more Eagles. That's just fact.

As far as Joe's tour, I think he's doing it to keep himself busy, he knows Glenn wouldn't want him to sit at home and vegetate.

Henley may miss being a band, but there's no way they would go out with Henley, Walsh, and Schmit as the Eagles. And they may not go out again together at all in any form. Even if they just played Henley's Eagles songs, they couldn't do a show around that IMO as the Eagles, it would be Don Henley and his backing band.

It's extremely saddening but it is the truth.

LuvTim
03-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Here is a link to the threads where we discussed the Malibu Men's Choir.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?p=304496&highlight=malibu+men%27s+choir#post304496

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4814&highlight=malibu+men%27s+choir

I have no idea if Joe would just suddenly want to work with Felder again. I don't think it's that simple.

I am not going to comment on the speculation that the Eagles could continue. I see no point in responding to these remarks.

Also, F50, don't you think you could have phrased the 'Joe making sure there would be no Eagles' related commitments' comments rather more delicately?

Yes, yes. Move on. :ziplip:

Thank you very much for your guidance, FP. I'll go to these threads.

LuvTim
03-05-2016, 11:21 PM
Wow, I've had a great time reading and learning about all of this, but now I'm obsessed with Paul Carrack on YouTube, having read much about him! :-D

Gotta get back! :singer:

Midnight Visitor
03-06-2016, 11:29 AM
I always find people's speculations fascinating. I hope Joe does NOT join another "super group". He does awesome fronting his own band. I do think he'll probably continue to work with others as he always has. Keep in mind Joe's been on gobs of people's records. Everyone from Lionel Ritchie to the Foo Fighters. I think he enjoys guesting on other people's work.

I won't speculate on anything further than that because we do NOT know anything about the future. I suspect that beyond the upcoming tour w/Bad Co., even Joe doesn't know what the future holds.

UndertheWire
03-06-2016, 04:43 PM
Weren't both Joe and Don Henley talking last autumn about doing further solo tours in 2016?

There's some kind of relationship between Bad Company and David Spero who was Joe's manager from 1990-2000.

It seems to have become standard practice to put together tours with two or more classic rocks bands and that sounds a better option that trying to form a new super-group. It certainly makes sense from a marketing pov - two established brands rather than trying to sell a new one. It's worked well enough for Journey, Foreigner, Doobie Brothers, Styx and so on.

shunlvswx
03-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Weren't both Joe and Don Henley talking last autumn about doing further solo tours in 2016?

There's some kind of relationship between Bad Company and David Spero who was Joe's manager from 1990-2000.

It seems to have become standard practice to put together tours with two or more classic rocks bands and that sounds a better option that trying to form a new super-group. It certainly makes sense from a marketing pov - two established brands rather than trying to sell a new one. It's worked well enough for Journey, Foreigner, Doobie Brothers, Styx and so on.

Yes Don and Joe talked about touring the following year. One of Don's interviews from last year (I think the one he was talking to the Australian reporter)he talked about the first part of the year it was going to be quiet and then he was going start back touring in the spring. This interview was a month before Glenn got sick. So Don and Joe probably were planning to tour in the spring and summer because the guys probably weren't planning on touring early in the year, but maybe start later in the year. The touring for Don probably got pushed back when Glenn died. So Joe probably had this plan before Glenn got sick and of course when he died, but we really don't know when he and Bad Company were planning this tour. I would think this would take months to plan a huge tour like this.

Girl From Yesterday
03-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Taking my son to see Joe Walsh and Bad Company in May ....
Should be good !

Girl From Yesterday
03-18-2016, 02:33 AM
Interesting ...seems that Joe and Bad Company will be rotating the headlining spot each show ....

https://www.facebook.com/JoeWalshOfficial/posts/1025693057489784:0

Delilah
02-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Joe appears to be interested in doing some kind of James Gang reunion to commemorate their 50th anniversary. This sounds pretty exciting, and something to look forward to after the Tom Petty tour is over. The 50th anniversary will be in 2018, if I'm not mistaken. That, plus more rumblings from Don H about "leaving the door open" for the Eagles ("we'll take another look and see what's possible"), would mean Joe's future seems pretty busy, career-wise, with no signs of slowing down. Joe has already expressed interest in doing some kind of project with Don H.

"Joe Walsh is Open to a James Gang Reunion"
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-walsh-james-gang-reunion/

Annoying Twit
02-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Where did Joe express interest in doing some sort of project with Don H?

Delilah
02-09-2017, 05:47 PM
It was in the Joe press thread. Specifically, he said:

[Vegas]is a good place to figure out how to navigate life after Glenn, to figure that out,” he said. “I know a lot of performers have come through Las Vegas and done well. We could do something of a retrospective, and I’ve thought of doing that with Don, actually. It wouldn’t be the Eagles, but maybe we can go out and he can play his stuff and I can play my stuff.”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/columns/kats/joe-walsh-reflects-recent-honors-life-after-glenn-frey

Come to think of it, he never said Don Henley...:stunned:

shunlvswx
02-09-2017, 06:24 PM
It was in the Joe press thread. Specifically, he said:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/columns/kats/joe-walsh-reflects-recent-honors-life-after-glenn-frey

Come to think of it, he never said Don Henley...:stunned:

I remembered that article. True. He didn't say Don H, but the article also didn't bring up Felder since he was also playing in Vegas around that time. I had wonder if he was talking about Don or Felder, but I didn't say anything since nobody didn't pick up on that until now. So I think Joe probably thought the fans knew he was talking about Don H instead of Felder. That's probably why he didn't say which Don he was talking about.

Annoying Twit
02-10-2017, 04:37 AM
Thanks. I was wondering if it was just Joe saying that he could do that, or whether it was something that Don had mentioned.

Delilah
02-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Sorry, AT, for my being vague. Don H gave a radio interview on Feb. 4 and said this:

After Frey’s death, Henley said he would no longer play with The Eagles, but he leaves that door open now.

“We just passed the one-year anniversary of his passing. We wanted to give it a year to mourn and to absorb his death. Now that the new year is upon us, we’ll take another look and see what might be possible.”

"Don Henley-Statesman of Rock"
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturday/audio/201832076/don-henley-statesman-of-rock

I suppose I should post it on Don's press thread as well, but I'm kind of hesitant...at any rate, it looks like both Don and Joe are open to possibly playing together.

Annoying Twit
02-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Delilah. But, I can't see any reference to Joe there. Don's comment could mean anything. I suspect that might be the reality: Don himself hasn't decided what he will do.

Funk 50
02-11-2017, 08:17 AM
I see that Ringo is putting together, yet another new album. More than likely Joe will be playing on that. Maybe he'll rejoin Ringo's All Starr band too.

If he's not working with Henley and other ex-Eagles, I reckon Joe will be making music with another bunch of musicians in a year or two, as long as he is still able. He likes being in a band, especially after being solo for a few years.

I think Henley's the same. Would Henley form a new band or give Tim, Joe and Bernie a call. I think he'd still want Scott, Steuart and the others involved too though.

Freypower
02-11-2017, 06:06 PM
I see that Ringo is putting together, yet another new album. More than likely Joe will be playing on that. Maybe he'll rejoin Ringo's All Starr band too.

If he's not working with Henley and other ex-Eagles, I reckon Joe will be making music with another bunch of musicians in a year or two, as long as he is still able. He likes being in a band, especially after being solo for a few years.

I think Henley's the same. Would Henley form a new band or give Tim, Joe and Bernie a call. I think he'd still want Scott, Steuart and the others involved too though.

Henley has a band.

For that matter Walsh & Schmit have bands. :headscratch:

Annoying Twit
02-12-2017, 03:15 AM
Off topic - but good to hear that Ringo is putting out an album. His last, Postcards from Paradise, is one of his best, iMHO.

Joe is likely to be on the album, but unlikely to be on the tour. He's not been a member of the All-Starr Band for a while. It's a pity that Ringo isn't playing in the UK.

Funk 50
02-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Joe was in a couple of Ringo's All Starr bands before the Eagles resumed.... and that was before he became Family.

Free of his Eagles obligations, Joe may have space in his diary to team up with Ringo again. It'd be great to see him on stage with Ringo, sober. :razz:

Joe's lengthy stint with the Eagles overshadows his other bands , (off the top of my head) The Measles, The James Gang, Barnstorm, Ringo's All Starr Band, The Best, The Party Boys, The Herbs and the ill fated band that HFO scuppered with Frankie Miller, Nicky Hopkins and Ian Wallace.

I believe they were tentatively labeled, Fire And Brimstone. At the time I was pleased that Fire And Brimstone didn't take off, I thought he should stick with Joe Vitale, but after becoming more familiar with Frankie Miller's material and a 20 year album drought after Songs For A Dying Planet, the prospect of Joe in a band of capable British musos sounds pretty promising, especially for UK based Walsh fans.
:headbang:

Funk 50
05-20-2017, 08:06 AM
I'm guessing that, if Henley is hitting his 70th birthday this year, Joe will be too. (Nov 20th). If, like Henley, there's a birthday, concert celebration, it could be quite an event! The James Gang, Barnstorm and Eagles all on the same stage, without even mentioning all the superstars he's pals with, and has worked with, since the late 60s.

It's likely that they'll be busy working elsewhere but I can reel off 10 to begin with:

1. Ringo Starr
2 Bill Szymczyk
2. Waddy Wachtel
3. Jeff Lynne
4. Jay Ferguson
5. George Perry
6. Steve Winwood
7. JD Souther
8. Richard Marx
9. Michael Stanley
10. Taylor Hawkins

plus some mighty guitar heroes and several stars he's shared posters and stages with. He's going to bump into Stevie Nicks at the Henley show. She's written songs about Joe. :eyebrow:

Freypower
05-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Pedant's corner... Bill Szymczyk isn't a performer.

Delilah
05-21-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm guessing that, if Henley is hitting his 70th birthday this year, Joe will be too. (Nov 20th). If, like Henley, there's a birthday, concert celebration, it could be quite an event! The James Gang, Barnstorm and Eagles all on the same stage, without even mentioning all the superstars he's pals with, and has worked with, since the late 60s.

It's likely that they'll be busy working elsewhere but I can reel off 10 to begin with:

1. Ringo Starr
2 Bill Szymczyk
2. Waddy Wachtel
3. Jeff Lynne
4. Jay Ferguson
5. George Perry
6. Steve Winwood
7. JD Souther
8. Richard Marx
9. Michael Stanley
10. Taylor Hawkins

plus some mighty guitar heroes and several stars he's shared posters and stages with. He's going to bump into Stevie Nicks at the Henley show. She's written songs about Joe. :eyebrow:

It would be great if Joe had a similar birthday bash/concert. But it looks like the only superstars on your list are Ringo and possibly Richard Marx, although some of others are well-known. How about Kenny Chesney and Brad Paisley? Now there's some major name recognition.

Even though he's not a performer per se, didn't Bill Szymczyk play some guitar on one of Joe's albums? I suppose it's possible he's jammed on stage before somewhere.

NightMistBlue
05-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Walsh is good friends with Jimmy Page, has been for years. He's also tight with Chrissie Hynde.

I didn't know that Walsh was friendly with Richard Marx. Joe didn't even remember playing that "Don't Mean Nothin'" session. I remember a radio interview with Joe (still in his drinking days, obviously) where he said when that record came out, people were complimenting him on his slide playing and he had no idea what they were talking about. He still didn't seem to know Marx, whom he referred to as "the young man."

Funk 50
05-22-2017, 06:20 PM
I don't know how close Joe is, to any of his famous friends. Richard Marx credits Joe with the successful launch of his career through his appearance on his first hit single, Don't Mean Nothing in the 80s. They played it as an encore at a Walsh benefit show, just a few years ago. On another occassion, Richard got a surprise visit from Joe, as he was co-writing a future hit with another artist on a tour bus. (I can't remember the name of the track or artist :blush:). Richard says Joe sprinkled some Walsh magic on the track although Joe didn't actually contribute anything musically.

Don Henley joked that asking friends and acquaintances to attend your celebrations, leaves you open to making a reciprocal appearance, so I guess that he would feel obliged to put in an appearance at a Walsh birthday bash, which I feel, would take the guest list up a notch. :-D .

I named 10 musicians (Szymczyk has done backing vocals and percussion but mainly outstanding production, on Walsh albums) who I think would attend a Walsh celebration, if their diary is free.

There are many more I could have listed. Joe's recently toured with Bad Company, Tom Petty and Bob Seger. My own prejudices prevented me listing any country artists he's appeared on stage with.

Jimmy Page got his renowned Les Paul guitar from Joe. Pete Townsend also got his favorite guitar / amp, as a present, off Joe. He's pals with The Beatles, The Stones and The Who to name some major artists but the list is endless. I wonder how he got to meet all these stars! Joe seems to be a magnet for other musicians. :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
05-23-2017, 05:53 AM
Funk, if you want to know about Joe and The Who, take a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Roadwork-Rock-Roll-Turned-Inside-Tom-Wright/1423413008
I've written about it in the book thread (it has Eagles, too) and I recommend it.

Delilah
05-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I named 10 musicians (Szymczyk has done backing vocals and percussion but mainly outstanding production, on Walsh albums) who I think would attend a Walsh celebration, if their diary is free.

There are many more I could have listed. Joe's recently toured with Bad Company, Tom Petty and Bob Seger. My own prejudices prevented me listing any country artists he's appeared on stage with.

Ok, I knew Szymczyk played something on Joe's albums. Thanks.

Joe sure has collaborated with lots of big names. If he's going to celebrate the span of his life and career with artists he's worked with, I would think he'd want to include some who made it big in this century. That means country folk. :rockguitar:Unless he's worked with some hip-hop acts I don't know about.:huh:

Brooke
05-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Funk, if you want to know about Joe and The Who, take a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Roadwork-Rock-Roll-Turned-Inside-Tom-Wright/1423413008
I've written about it in the book thread (it has Eagles, too) and I recommend it.

This sounds like a great book! I just ordered! Thanks UtW!

Funk 50
11-07-2017, 06:24 AM
Joe's reacted positively to the suggestion of a 40th anniversary celebration of his But Seriously Folks! album in 2018.

Here is a great interview with Joe Vitale, in which Joe says Walsh has been delving into his back catalog a lot more since the Barnstorm reunion.

Asked which songs he'd like Joe to add to future live set lists, Vitale name checks, At The Station, Second Hand Store, all the 'Weirdos' instrumentals among others.

http://www.goldminemag.com/podcast/joe-walsh-drummer-joe-vitale-persuasions-guests-goldmine-magazine-podcast-episode-10

2018 is starting to sound promising :grin:

Delilah
11-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the link, Funk 50.

Joe Vitale had some interesting things to say, pointing out how they were originally scheduled to play Las Vegas the last week of September when that horrible shooting took place. They were going to stay at the Mandelay Bay too but of course the House of Blues gig got cancelled due to the Eagles playing at Seattle. What a close call.

Also he believes the Heartbreakers are such a good band they should continue to perform and maybe even make a record, saying it’s hard to find that chemistry and they have it.

He also said Joe would like to do a couple of VetsAid benefits a year b/c the last one went so well.

Nice he gave a shout out to Don Felder when he mentioned him along with Stephen Stills and Tom Petty being great guitarists from Gainesville.

And next year will mark 50 years he’s been performing with Joe! :woah:

Annoying Twit
11-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Speaking of Joe Vitale, I always thought I would like his music a lot since the things he does with Joe W are always great. But, I've given his solo albums a listen and they sound OK, but not wonderful.

I googled Joe Vitale to see what he is up to. That's made more difficult as there is a person called "Dr Joe Vitale" who is a motivational/self-help type person. I found an album "No Words" by "Joe Vitale and the Band of Legends" released in 2017. Even more confusingly, it's a band formed by the motivational Dr Joe Vitale, but the Eagles/Walsh Joe Vitale plays the drums.

Spotify mixes the two artists, so I'm having to play each album to see who it's by, but it appears that all of the Eagles/Walsh Joe Vitale's albums are 2008 or earlier while the other one has been releasing albums more recently.

'Look for the Light' by motivational/self-help Joe Vitale sounds rather ... uh ... Shatner.

I'll listen to some proper Vitale now. EDIT: His 2008 album 'Speaking in Drums' is much better than I expected. He's not trying to make a big statement; it more seems that he's having a bit of fun with his family. His voice sounds a bit more like Joe on this album. IMHO anyone who likes Joe's 80s/90s albums should most definitely check out this album. Quoting the chorus from one of the songs: 'When I'm too old to rock and roll, get the shovel and dig the hole' perhaps gives a good idea of where he's coming from.

EDIT2: Ah, there's a Joe Vitale jr too. Given the photo of the Eagles/Walsh Vitale on his website, I presume that this is the son of Eagles/Walsh Vitale. Jr does some songs that again sound a bit like JW 'good time' songs from later solo albums, but then does some highly atmospheric instrumental soundtrack music too.

Dawn
11-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Thank you for the heads up, sounds like a very interesting book. I think I will check it out.