PDA

View Full Version : why did he go by Timothy B Schmit

alreadygone
03-16-2016, 03:28 PM
as opposed to Timothy Schmit? Anyone ever wondered this?

MaryCalifornia
03-16-2016, 04:02 PM
I think he wrote it on a whim for his senior picture in the yearbook, right? He has explained it in interviews. He refers to himself as "Tim" in early Poco video...

sodascouts
03-16-2016, 05:56 PM
I believe he started doing that after joining the Eagles, to distinguish him a bit from his Poco identity.

Freypower
03-16-2016, 05:56 PM
I've always wondered why many Americans employ the middle initial in this way, or use both initials, like J.D. Souther, or go the other way, like J.Edgar Hoover. Having said that, my middle initial appears on one of my credit cards, but I don't refer to myself that way.

buffyfan145
03-16-2016, 08:46 PM
I always wondered about this too with Timothy. I know in some cases here in the US we use our middle initial in case there are multiple people with the same name. In the case of actors, writers, and directors they have a rule in their unions that no two living members can use the same name. That's why a lot have stage names too. I also think some use it to sound more "professional". As for J.D. that's actually a common use for a first name and I went to school with another J.D. too, and I have a uncle we've always just called J.R. as he was named after his dad.

LuvTim
03-16-2016, 08:53 PM
According to timothybschmitonline.com, Fun Facts, he first used it when listing his name and accomplishments for his Senior yearbook. So MaryCalifornia had it right. :-)

Prettymaid
03-16-2016, 09:35 PM
In HOTE, doesn't Glenn first introduce him to the audience as Timothy Schmit? Not that it really answers the question this thread asks...

Freypower
03-16-2016, 09:42 PM
In HOTE, doesn't Glenn first introduce him to the audience as Timothy Schmit? Not that it really answers the question this thread asks...

That was when he first joined, but every time I saw them he was introduced as Timothy B. Schmit.

Witchy Woman
03-16-2016, 09:56 PM
IIRC, around the time Boys Night Out came out he was calling himself Timmy B.

Prettymaid
03-16-2016, 10:03 PM
That was when he first joined, but every time I saw them he was introduced as Timothy B. Schmit.

Me too. I'm sure there is no significance in Glenn not using Timothy's middle initial in that HOTE clip...just an observation.

shunlvswx
03-16-2016, 10:30 PM
Usually if an actor or musician use a middle initial in their name, somebody already have their name. Like Craig T. Nelson or Vanessa L. Williams(the singer) or Michael J. Fox. But I guess its different with Timothy.

MaryCalifornia
03-17-2016, 12:21 AM
Doesn't Glenn refer to him twice in the doc without the "B"? "Irving, we've got to get Timothy Schmit" and "our new bass player..."in the Houston concert? I can't remember. Anyway, Timmy B - hahahahaha!