PDA

View Full Version : "Cass County" Survivor Game

Pages : [1] 2

Ive always been a dreamer
03-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Time for the Cass County Song Survivor! If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7%20%5B/)

I'm going to list the songs of Cass County here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

While these games can get heated, remember it's all in good fun. You can debate the merits of a song, but don't badger people who don't vote the same way you do.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stands.

Note: In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

GAME OVER!

The winner is:

Train in the Distance

Songs Eliminated:
When I Stop Dreaming 3/24
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune 3/26
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01
Words Can Break Your Heart 4/03
Too Far Gone 4/05
Waiting Tables 4/07
A Younger Man 4/09
It Don’t Matter To the Sun 4/11
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz 4/13
Where I Am Now 4/15
Here Come Those Tears Again 4/17
Take a Picture of This 4/19
The Cost of Living 4/21
That Old Flame 4/23
No, Thank You 4/25

Thanks for playing and hope everyone enjoyed the game.

L101
03-22-2016, 08:14 PM
I'll post the first vote of the first Cass County Survivor :grin:

My vote goes for Too Much Pride

I HATE this song with a passion and I do feel bad about it as it is one of Don's songs but I just hate everything about it - the way he sings it, the piano, that bluesy honky tonk style - No thank you !!

The only thing that I liked about this song was that Don dedicated it to Donald Trump on the Late Show :smile:

Freypower
03-22-2016, 08:24 PM
When I Stop Dreaming

jms18222
03-22-2016, 09:01 PM
This isn't going to be popular but I hated When I Stop Dreaming. To my ears it is like one of my cats got their tail caught in a door then ran their claws down a chalkboard while landing in a pile of balloons. I hate it THAT MUCH!

DivineDon
03-23-2016, 04:14 AM
Well, I have to vote for 'Praying for Rain' - I applaud the sentiment but it just goes on too long and I skip it on the CD.

NOLA
03-23-2016, 08:42 AM
I'll vote for "When I Stop Dreaming." Dolly has a unique voice, and she's done some great duets in the past, but I don't feel she blends well with Don on this song.

scottside
03-23-2016, 08:52 AM
I vote for "She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune" which I've never been able to handle from the beginning. Why he chose to do this one is beyond my comprehension.

SPrim
03-23-2016, 09:36 AM
I vote for TOO MUCH PRIDE

Brooke
03-23-2016, 10:51 AM
I vote for Too Much Pride.

I liked it at first, but the more I listened to it, I just hate that vibrato he does. Sorry Don, don't do it!

ktdids
03-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Too Far Gone for me.

sodascouts
03-23-2016, 06:55 PM
My vote goes to Bramble Rose.

I know Don thought getting Mick Jagger on it was a fantastic idea, but I thought it ruined the song. It has some good elements but I can barely stand to listen to Jagger warble his way through the verse. There's a couple other things I don't like about it as well but I'll save those for later, as it seems this isn't going down this round.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
03-23-2016, 07:21 PM
I LOVE When I Stop Dreaming!!!! I also really like Praying For Rain. For some reason that song makes me feel better when I have a headache. I have to vote for She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. It just doesn't do anything for me.

AlreadyGone95
03-24-2016, 01:37 AM
I decided to wait a bit before voting and see what others were voting for. When I Stop Dreaming and She Sang Hymns Out of Tune are my 2 least favorite songs on the album. They're the "meh" songs. Bramble Rose I like. Praying For Rain and Too Much Pride are among my favorites.

I honestly have had a hard time debating which song to vote for first. I vote for When I Stop Dreaming. No offense to Dolly or Don, but that song is far from being their best work, imo.

timfan
03-24-2016, 04:31 PM
I quite like most of the songs on this album... so I'll vote for the one song I do dislike Where I Am Now

shunlvswx
03-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Their are a few songs I don't like, but the one I didn't like at first is the one I will vote on. Even though I slowly started to like this song I'm voting on, I didn't like it at first.

So I'm going save the other song that's eliminated. I'm voting for When I Stop Dreaming.

Jonny Come Lately
03-24-2016, 05:29 PM
I vote for "She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune" which I've never been able to handle from the beginning. Why he chose to do this one is beyond my comprehension.

That is exactly how I feel. I can understand why Don might have wanted to do a song with whimsical lyrics, but I don't think this song and set of words are good enough. In my opinion it just comes across as weak compared to the wonderful reflections on life and love that make up most of the rest of the album. There are songs that I absolutely love that have some utterly bonkers lyrics (for instance, this morning I was listening to Neil Young's Pocahontas, a big favourite of mine, which concludes with Neil and Pocahontas sitting around a campfire in the Astrodome where they discuss Hollywood with Marlon Brando :laugh:) but this one doesn't do it for me. It doesn't make me laugh or smile, I just listen to it and go 'okay then'... hopefully that makes sense.

So my vote goes to She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune.

My two least favourites are the same as AG95's, although I have to say I thought I would hate When I Stop Dreaming but it actually exceeded my expectations - it's still not a song I like that much, and I might sometimes skip it, but I'm not scrambling to switch to the next track, so I'm quite pleased by that.

I can understand why most of the songs so far have received votes, with the exception of Praying For Rain which is definitely one of my favourites. I love Bramble Rose too although I can see where Soda is coming from even though I personally disagree (I love the contributions from all three vocalists). The others I like, but aren't personal favourites.

Freypower
03-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Regarding She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune, it's in my top 3! I really like it! I won't comment on anything else just yet.

FWIW
03-24-2016, 07:29 PM
My vote goes to She Sang Hymns Out of Tune.

Don sets a tough standard lyrically and this song just doesn't measure up for me.

03-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Wow - I guess I'll go with another one.

I cast my vote for A Younger Man.

03-24-2016, 08:21 PM
The first song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is When I Stop Dreaming. “When I Stop Dreaming”, we know you were dreaming of going all the way in this game, but the tribe has spoken. We hope you don't stop loving us, but you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
When I Stop Dreaming – 5
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – 4
Too Much Pride – 3
Praying for Rain – 1
Too Far Gone – 1
Bramble Rose – 1
Where I Am Now – 1
A Younger Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
When I Stop Dreaming – Freypower
When I Stop Dreaming – jms18222
When I Stop Dreaming – NOLA
When I Stop Dreaming – AlreadyGone95
When I Stop Dreaming – shunlvswx
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – scottside
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – SoaringRockyMountainWay
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – Jonny Come Lately
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – FWIW
Too Much Pride – Lacken101
Too Much Pride – SPrim
Too Much Pride – Brooke
Praying for Rain – DivineDon
Too Far Gone – ktdids
Bramble Rose – sodascouts
Where I Am Now – timfan
A Younger Man – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:

Songs remaining:
Bramble Rose
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
Too Far Gone
That Old Flame
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz
Words Can Break Your Heart
Praying for Rain
Too Much Pride
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now
It Don’t Matter To the Sun
Here Come Those Tears Again

Voting for Round Two begins now.

Freypower
03-24-2016, 10:09 PM
OK, well, I've been waiting to see how others would vote, but I will go ahead. My next vote is for Words Can Break Your Heart. I find it clichéd & the fac that it's a duet doesn't help.

jms18222
03-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Next vote is She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. It just fell flat to me.

AlreadyGone95
03-24-2016, 10:42 PM
I'll vote for the other least favorite I mentioned, She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. It's boring and bland to me.

03-24-2016, 10:59 PM
I’m a little bombed that When I Stop Dreaming was the first song to go. It’s not my favorite song on the album, but it certainly isn’t my least favorite either. I will say that the song didn’t make a good first impression on me. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded like Dolly was really straining to hit those high notes; however, after a few more listens, I realized she wasn’t and the song has grown on me somewhat. I think she and Don sound really good together.

I’m really surprised that some of these songs are getting votes this early in the game. We are just at the begining of Round 2 and already half of the songs on this album have received at least one vote. We sure seem to be all over the place with our opinions, so it won’t take too many votes to eliminate a song if this trend continues. For what it’s worth, I happen to like the two songs that have received vote in this round. Didn't Don mention in an interview that he included She Sang Hymns Out of Tune because it reminded him of his grandmother that lived with his family or am I imagining that? Oh well – it should make for an interesting game.

AlreadyGone95
03-25-2016, 12:36 AM
Words Can Break Your Heart is also low on my list. It doesn't do anything for me. As far When I Stop Dreaming, Dolly's voice is almost like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I'm not too surprised that our opinions vary. IIRC, in the review thread, very few members had the same songs as their favorites. My favorites are still the ones that stood out to me during the first listen 6 months ago. (Has it really been 6 months already?) I think that some of us are trying to get a "feel" of what others think. That's why I waited until the second day to vote in the first round.

L101
03-25-2016, 05:22 AM
I love 'Words can break your heart'. I think it's a great song and he sings it so well with Trisha. He sounds so much better in this song than in 'When I stop dreaming ' - that was just terrible and the abrupt way the song started didn't help it either.

'She sang hymns out of tune' was a Dillards song and Don loves the Dillards :grin: But I think it reminded him of when he was young as well.

This round, I'm going to stick with Too much pride

maryc2130
03-25-2016, 06:56 AM
I’m a little bombed that When I Stop Dreaming was the first song to go. It’s not my favorite song on the album, but it certainly isn’t my least favorite either. I will say that the song didn’t make a good first impression on me. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded like Dolly was really straining to hit those high notes; however, after a few more listens, I realized she wasn’t and the song has grown on me somewhat. I think she and Don sound really good together.

I’m really surprised that some of these songs are getting votes this early in the game. We are just at the beginning of Round 2 and already half of the songs on this album have received at least one vote. We sure seem to be all over the place with our opinions, so it won’t take too many votes to eliminate a song if this trend continues. For what it’s worth, I happen to like the two songs that have received vote in this round. Didn't Don mention in an interview that he included She Sang Hymns Out of Tune because it reminded him of his grandmother that lived with his family or am I imagining that? Oh well – it should make for an interesting game.

I agree, Dreamer, about When I Stop Dreaming. I never thought it would be the first to go. I'm also very surprise that so many songs have been nominated. There seems to be a wide variance of opinion on the songs on the album.

I agree with Freypower on Words Can Break My Heart. I find it very cliched, especially for a Don song.

Still, I'll vote for She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. What is up with that song? I just don't get it. People who are? Huh?

NOLA
03-25-2016, 08:40 AM
My vote will also go to She Sang Hymns Out of Tune, because IMO, Don is singing this out of tune. Seriously, it sounds like he's singing with a Dylanesque nasal whine which I find grating. However, I do like the melody.

Cass County Survivor is turning out to be a very interesting edition. My top three faves have all received negative votes, so I'm curious to see what others will choose as theirs.

scottside
03-25-2016, 09:32 AM
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune, once again.

DivineDon
03-25-2016, 10:05 AM
Well, it looks like She Sang Hymns Out of Tune is going down but I quite like it - it's quirky and shows a different side to Don. I don't particularly like Words Can Break Your Heart and I thought the quality of Don's voice on When I Stop Dreaming was amazing - it's Dolly who ruined it for me :hilarious: ...and A Younger Man... Dreamer, how could you? :)

I decided before we started this game that I was going to stick to my guns so once again I vote for Praying for Rain

Brooke
03-25-2016, 10:18 AM
I will have to stick with Too Much Pride.

I just can't hardly listen to that vibrato. I really like the song and am sorry he chose to add that to it.

jms18222
03-25-2016, 11:14 AM
I just truly hate, hate hated When I Stop Dreaming & just disliked Hymns. Don just wasn't Don in either of those songs. I think it was because he didn't write those songs so his passion didn't come through on those songs.
When I saw him in November I really just wanted to go to the ladies room when he sang Dreaming. It was even worse since he was singing a song about long lost love with a girl much too young so the meaning just made you go OKAYYY plus he was really straining to hit it. Granted it was the last date on the tour & now knowing what was going on with Glenn I can give him a pass.

The young ladies he has singing back-up for him have great voices but it is cringe-worthy because they are singing some intimate songs with a guy who can be their grandfather. He usually used back-up singers that were closer to his age & didn't interact with them to this extent. I think Don became enamoured with their degree more so that the correct fit. Yes I said it but if he tours close enough to me this summer I will go again just bring ear plugs for Dreaming.

sodascouts
03-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Once again, I vote for Bramble Rose.

FWIW
03-25-2016, 01:41 PM
I will again vote for She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. No offense to Don's grandmother :)

LuvTim
03-25-2016, 01:45 PM
I just truly hate, hate hated When I Stop Dreaming & just disliked Hymns. Don just wasn't Don in either of those songs. I think it was because he didn't write those songs so his passion didn't come through on those songs.
When I saw him in November I really just wanted to go to the ladies room when he sang Dreaming. It was even worse since he was singing a song about long lost love with a girl much too young so the meaning just made you go OKAYYY plus he was really straining to hit it. Granted it was the last date on the tour & now knowing what was going on with Glenn I can give him a pass.

The young ladies he has singing back-up for him have great voices but it is cringe-worthy because they are singing some intimate songs with a guy who can be their grandfather. He usually used back-up singers that were closer to his age & didn't interact with them to this extent. I think Don became enamoured with their degree more so that the correct fit. Yes I said it but if he tours close enough to me this summer I will go again just bring ear plugs for Dreaming.

"Yes I said it..." lol...funny. We know you love Don anyway! :-D

jms18222
03-25-2016, 04:35 PM
"Yes I said it..." lol...funny. We know you love Don anyway! :-D

Well..yea...LOL!

ktdids
03-25-2016, 10:09 PM
All this discussion has made me go back and listen to the album to see what I liked and didn't like when it first came out, and what I liked after listening to it more and more. I like more of the album now than I did before, and there's actually not a lot I don't like. That's why I'm voting for Too Far Goneagain! It just drags on for me.

Jonny Come Lately
03-26-2016, 11:51 AM
I will again vote for She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune. I was interested to hear that it reminded Don of his grandmother, so I do now understand why he wanted to include it on the album, but the song just doesn't do it for me. I tend to agree with what everyone else who has voted for it has said.

timfan
03-26-2016, 04:02 PM
Since it looks like She Sang Hymns is going down (which saddens me greatly) I'll vote once more for Where I am now

shunlvswx
03-26-2016, 06:37 PM
I'm voting for She Sang Hymns Out of Tune.

03-26-2016, 07:54 PM
As I said before, the first two songs to be eliminated sure wouldn't have been my picks, but that's the way this game goes sometimes. Of the other songs that received votes in this round, I also like Words Can Break My Heart, Too Far Gone, and Where I Am Now.

As far as A Younger Man, it is probably one of my least favorites on the album. I don't like Don's voice on it at all. It reminds me of his voice in the verses of Everything Is Different Now. Sorry, but I'll have to keep voting for it unless my vote will help eliminate another song that I don't like. So ...

03-26-2016, 08:05 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. “She Sang Hymns Out of Tune”, the tribe has spoken and we are the people – the people who are. You can’t trade your way back even with a Spanish doubloon, so it’s time to get in that big yellow balloon and sail away off the island.

Votes
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – 8
Too Much Pride – 2
Words Can Break Your Heart – 1
Praying for Rain – 1
Bramble Rose – 1
Too Far Gone – 1
Where I Am Now – 1
A Younger Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – jms18222
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – AlreadyGone95
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – maryc2130
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – NOLA
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – scottside
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – FWIW
She Sang Hymns Out of Tune – Jonny Come Lately
Sang Hymns Out of Tune – shunlvswx
Too Much Pride – Brooke
Words Can Break Your Heart – Freypower
Too Far Gone – ktdids
Where I Am Now – timfan

Songs eliminated:

Songs remaining:
Bramble Rose
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
Too Far Gone
That Old Flame
Praying for Rain
Too Much Pride
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Three begins now.

Freypower
03-27-2016, 05:29 PM
'We are the people. The people who are'. Indeed! Yes, it's a silly line, but I like the song, unlike many of you - I like its quirkiness which gives a light touch which I think the album needed. But it's gone so I wlll vote for Words Can Break Your Heart again.

DivineDon
03-27-2016, 05:42 PM
Mmmm, I really liked 'She sang hymns out of tune'. Guess I'm on a different wavelength to everyone else but I'm voting for 'Praying for rain' again.

AlreadyGone95
03-27-2016, 06:09 PM
I'll vote for the one that's lowest on my list, Words Can Break Your Heart.

While I agree with the title, the song does nothing for me, as I said earlier.

03-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Well - I like Words Can Break My Heart too. But, I'd definitely get behind any coalition to vote off Too Much Pride, Praying for Rain, or A Younger Man - they are probably my three least favorites.

scottside
03-27-2016, 10:01 PM
I vote for "Praying For Rain." I like the verses okay, but there's something about the chorus and the way he holds the word "rain" that I find annoying.

shunlvswx
03-27-2016, 10:05 PM
I love Words Can Break Your Heart. So I want to try to save that one.

So I'm voting for Too Much Pride. Its an ok song and I loved how Don mention of a certain candidate in the song when he did the Stephen Colbert, show, but that's it.

ktdids
03-27-2016, 11:29 PM
I'm sorry to see Hymns go, I have grown to like Words Can Break Your Heart and I like Too Much Pride.
I'm going with Too Far Gone, again!

maryc2130
03-28-2016, 06:55 AM
I think I'll go with "Too Much Pride" I don't hate it, but I don't really like it, either. It's my least favorite that has any votes.

NOLA
03-28-2016, 09:55 AM
I'll vote for Too Much Pride. I like the vintage melody, but not enough to really care about it from being eliminated in this round.

jms18222
03-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Too Much Pride.

FWIW
03-28-2016, 12:48 PM
This round I'm voting for Too Much Pride.

timfan
03-28-2016, 02:02 PM
I vote for Too Much Pride

SoaringRockyMountainWay
03-28-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm voting for Too Much Pride. Its a cool song but its still near the bottom of my list.

Brooke
03-28-2016, 03:41 PM
Vibrato, again, Too Much Pride. :nope:

L101
03-28-2016, 03:48 PM
I was waiting to vote in case I needed to try and save Words Can Break Your Heart but I don't think its going to go this round so I'm voting for Too Much Pride - still don't like the song....

03-28-2016, 07:47 PM
Well it looks like Too Much Pride is going down easily without my help. Therefore, I'll go ahead and continue to vote for my least favorite song ...

03-28-2016, 08:01 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Too Much Pride. “Too Much Pride”, the tribe has spoken and your vanity cost you our tender love. You can’t go on with all these axes to grind, so please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Too Much Pride – 9
Praying for Rain – 2
Words Can Break Your Heart – 2
Too Far Gone – 1
A Younger Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
Too Much Pride – shunlvswx
Too Much Pride – maryc2130
Too Much Pride – NOLA
Too Much Pride – jms18222
Too Much Pride – FWIW
Too Much Pride – timfan
Too Much Pride – SoaringRockyMountainWay
Too Much Pride – Brooke
Words Can Break Your Heart – AlreadyGone95
Praying for Rain – scottside
Too Far Gone – ktdids

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28

Songs remaining:
Bramble Rose
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
Too Far Gone
That Old Flame
Praying for Rain
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Four begins now.

Freypower
03-28-2016, 09:08 PM
I am sticking with Words Can Break Your Heart.

sodascouts
03-28-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm keeping at it - I cast my vote for Bramble Rose!

scottside
03-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Praying For Rain

jms18222
03-29-2016, 11:19 AM
I vote for Bramble Rose. This song might have been better if he sang it solo. I wasn't as enamoured with Mick & Miranda as Don was.

DivineDon
03-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Love your avatar, Lacken :D

L101
03-29-2016, 01:03 PM
Love your avatar, Lacken :D

He's thinking 'I better get over to Ireland and play a few dates before DD comes after me !! ' :-)

This round I'm voting for Praying For Rain - I listened to it again today and I find it bland and boring. The end of the song just drags on and on...It's not one of Don's best songs by a long shot, and I know the theme of the song is serious and an important one, but it doesn't hit home with this one.

FWIW
03-29-2016, 01:21 PM
I'll vote for my least favorite of the songs remaining -- Praying for Rain.

DivineDon
03-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm...I got so distracted by Lacken's avatar that I forgot to vote!

Once again I'm going for 'Praying for rain'.

AlreadyGone95
03-29-2016, 03:29 PM
I vote for Bramble Rose to trying and save Praying For Rain, which is one of my favorite songs on the album.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
03-29-2016, 03:50 PM
I'm also going to try to save Praying For Rain. I vote for Bramble Rose.

shunlvswx
03-29-2016, 04:06 PM
I love Bramble Rose (I didn't like Mick at first, but he grew on me).

So I'm voting for Praying For Rain to try to save Bramble Rose. I'm not ready for Bramble Rose to go just yet.

maryc2130
03-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Oh, dear, I like both Prayin' for Rain and Bramble Rose. PFR a bit more, I think. It does go on a little too long, but I really like it overall. I love the line, "It isn't knowledge, it's humility we lack." So Don!

It took me a few listens to get to like Bramble Rose, but I'm not a big country fan to begin with, so it took a bit to acclimate my ears to it, I think. Mick's voice is a bit jarring, but I like it and the harmonica as well.

I'm possibly cancelling my vote out but I'm voting for Words Can Break Your Heart. I find the lyrics trite and Don is a little over-dramatic in his delivery. (Two things unusual for Mr. Henley, I might add.)

ktdids
03-29-2016, 11:33 PM
I'm still going with Too Far Gone.

NOLA
03-29-2016, 11:38 PM
I'll vote for Praying for Rain, because the ending does drag on a bit. Also, considering the deluge recently suffered by the community of Caddo Lake, I feel it's almost sacrilegious to listen to it now.

Jonny Come Lately
03-30-2016, 04:18 AM
This is me currently:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w498/JCL94/Cass%20County%20survivor_zpsowx0ar4k.png (http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/JCL94/media/Cass%20County%20survivor_zpsowx0ar4k.png.html)

I love both Bramble Rose and Praying For Rain and am sorry to see that it seems like a straight fight between those two. I love the contributions of all three vocalists on Bramble Rose, including Mick Jagger (I also like his harmonica) and I think Praying For Rain is wonderful. I absolutely love the chorus, the lyrics are brilliant in conveying a sense of desperation and I even like his Bob Dylan impression on the 'some pray for...' verse! It reminds me slightly of Fleetwood Mac's Crystal in its feel, although I'm not quite sure. If anything I slightly prefer Praying For Rain, which seems more likely to get eliminated, but I'd rather not see either go just yet.

So I have to turn to the only other song that has received more than one vote - Words Can Break Your Heart. I quite like it, but not as much as the two at most risk. I enjoy the music, but I agree that most of the lyrics are a bit trite compared to some of the other songs on the album, particularly on the chorus. Having said this, I do think the 'cutting words from careless lips' verse is better than the others. Nonetheless, I vote for Words Can Break Your Heart and I therefore propose this coalition:

SAVE BRAMBLE ROSE AND PRAYING FOR RAIN! VOTE FOR WORDS CAN BREAK YOUR HEART!

(I am aware this is likely to prove futile but I might as well try and save both those songs!)

maryc2130
03-30-2016, 06:55 AM
LOL, Jonny! Great picture and exactly how I feel! :yay:

I'll second you on:

SAVE BRAMBLE ROSE AND PRAYING FOR RAIN! VOTE FOR WORDS CAN BREAK YOUR HEART!

L101
03-30-2016, 07:34 AM
I've already voted but I propose this coalition: :saberfight:

Save Bramble Rose and Words Can Break Your Heart and vote for Praying For Rain

DivineDon
03-30-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm joining in that coalition, Lacken. Save Bramble Rose but vote for Praying for Rain (not mad about Words can break your heart either)

It doesn't help that we have just got over our worst winter in years of flooding so I just cannot relate to this song in any way...:lol: I just do not like it.

timfan
03-30-2016, 09:24 AM
I enjoy all three of the songs in question ALOT but I think something sodascouts said a few rounds ago is the deal breaker for me.. Mick Jagger on Bramble Road just sounds a tad bit out of place and IMO can be annoying if listened to repeatedly.

Therefore as much as I love it I'll vote for Bramble Road this round

Brooke
03-30-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm glad Too Much Pride is gone! :yay: If Don had sung it normally, I would have liked it. Does no one else have feelings about the vibrato he does in it? Just wondering.

I will join Soda and vote for Bramble Rose now. I think it would have been better with just Don, too. The others are good, but Don would have been better alone!

L101
03-30-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm glad Too Much Pride is gone! :yay: If Don had sung it normally, I would have liked it. Does no one else have feelings about the vibrato he does in it? Just wondering.

I'm glad its gone as well but I don't think I've even listened that far into the song to hear that vibrato bit ..... maybe some day I'll actually listen to it but only after a few beers :grin:

AlreadyGone95
03-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Central and southwest Georgia had our wettest winter on tecord as well. There was massive flooding of rivers and creeks. There's still so much standing water that it's hindering some farmers. They can't till the fields to plant their crops. Spring is turning into a wet one as well. We got 4 inches of rain over 3 days less than a week ago,and will get at least that much over this Thursday and Friday. 8 inches in 8 days!

Despite this, I still love Praying for Rain, and the message behind it (ok, it does drag a bit at the end). I've seen the springs and summers where there's been a huge drought. Many times we barely have a spring. Highs reach the 90s by May, so the farmers must pay to irrigate their fields much more than usual, which hurts them. What hurts the farmers hurts food prices. (Meaning they go up and up)

I say vote for either Bramble Rose or Words Can Break Your Heart.

Brooke
03-30-2016, 01:19 PM
Central and southwest Georgia had our wettest winter on tecord as well. There was massive flooding of rivers and creeks. There's still so much standing water that it's hindering some farmers. They can't till the fields to plant their crops. Spring is turning into a wet one as well. We got 4 inches of rain over 3 days less than a week ago,and will get at least that much over this Thursday and Friday. 8 inches in 8 days!

Veering off for just a moment.....my goodness AG, send us some rain! We are 4 inches below normal for the year so far! It's in the forecast for tonight, but the recent events over the last couple months have only allotted us a couple tenths of an inch of rain each time.

Ok, carry on!

I do like the harmonica in Bramble Rose! :smile:

AlreadyGone95
03-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Veering off for just a moment.....my goodness AG, send us some rain! We are 4 inches below normal for the year so far! It's in the forecast for tonight, but the recent events over the last couple months have only allotted us a couple tenths of an inch of rain each time.

Ok, carry on!

I do like the harmonica in Bramble Rose! :smile:

Ya'll may have it. I'm tired of hearing the ground squish when I walk. I'm ready to see several days of sunshine! Plus, with the warmer weather and standing water, mosquitoes are going crazy.

Freypower
03-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Regarding Praying For Rain Australia is drought stricken quite frequently, but that type of scenario is not one I can use when evaluating songs. If it were, how could I ever listen to a song set in winter featuring snow? The problem with Praying For Rain is the monotonous melody & unnecessary repeating of the title at the end. If the melody were OK, I wouldn't mind (think Already Gone) but it isn't.

As for Bramble Rose Mick wasn't even in the same studio & perhaps not even in the same country, so you don't get any sense of it being a collaboration (to be fair their voices are never heard at the same time). I love the Stones' country songs, but this song doesn't work. Still, while I think both of these songs deserve to be voted off, Words Can Break Your Heart is inferior to them both in my view (NB I have already voted - just expressing some thoughts).

03-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Well for me, it's a toss up between Praying for Rain and Bramble Rose. I do agree that it's time for them to go. Since this round is tied and I don't have a strong preference, I decided to leave this round up to the tiebreaker and hope we get the survivor next round. Therefore, I'll stick with the song I've been voting for ...

ETA: My computer hung up and this post did not make it in time before the round ended. Therefore, my vote won't be counted. Thank goodness it didn't make any difference.

03-30-2016, 08:04 PM
In a tied round, the next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Praying for Rain. “Praying for Rain”, the tribe has spoken and you rain wasn’t the only thing you should have prayed for. Now you need to make your way off this desert island and find a place with a more suitable climate.

Votes
Praying for Rain – 6
Bramble Rose – 6
Words Can Break Your Heart – 3
Too Far Gone – 1

Previous Votes
Praying for Rain – 4
Bramble Rose – 2

Vote Breakdown
Praying for Rain – scottside
Praying for Rain – Lacken101
Praying for Rain – FWIW
Praying for Rain – shunlvswx
Praying for Rain – NOLA
Bramble Rose – sodascouts[/FONT][/COLOR]
Bramble Rose – jms18222
Bramble Rose – AlreadyGone95
Bramble Rose – SoaringRockyMountainWay
Bramble Rose – timfan
Bramble Rose – Brooke
Words Can Break Your Heart – maryc2130
Words Can Break Your Heart – Jonny Come Lately
Too Far Gone – ktdids

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30

Songs remaining:
Bramble Rose
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
Too Far Gone
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Five begins now.

Freypower
03-30-2016, 08:06 PM
I should join the coalition against Bramble Rose but it will probably go next. I am sticking with Words Can Break Your Heart especially now a couple of others have voted for it.

maryc2130
03-30-2016, 08:39 PM
I will stick with you, FP, and vote again for Words Can Break Your Heart.

AlreadyGone95
03-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Sad to see one of my favorites go.

I vote for Words Can Break Your Heart as well. Bramble Rose has grown on me. This song has not.

sodascouts
03-30-2016, 10:16 PM
I can see why people voted off "Praying for Rain" but I liked it, even if Don's statement about why he made the narrator a farmer disillusioned me a little.

"Words Can Break Your Heart" may be trite, but I love the harmonies.

Another reason I'm going to keep my vote the same is because of the fact that "Bramble Rose" is such a disappointing simile. When I first bought the album, I tried to guess which ones Don wrote and which ones he didn't. I immediately knew Don didn't write this one because he always makes the most of his figurative language and "Bramble Rose" makes no sense.

"So her love has turned as hard / grown as sharp as a bramble rose... like a real good woman nobody knows."

So... how is a bramble rose like an unknown good-hearted woman? According to this, they're both hard and sharp. The thing is that hard, sharp bramble roses hurt people so... That makes no sense.

Maybe most don't care, but that kind of thing bothers me and makes it hard for me to enjoy the song. Laugh if you like!

Just to be clear...

I cast my vote for Bramble Rose.

scottside
03-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Words Can Break Your Heart.

DivineDon
03-31-2016, 02:22 AM
I completely understand where you're coming from, Soda - I'm exactly the same, the lyrics have to make sense to me. Having said that I'm going to contradict myself and say that I still like 'Bramble Rose' . As 'Words can break your heart' may be going down, I'll vote for

'Too far gone' - another that you just know Don wouldn't have written.

maryc2130
03-31-2016, 07:01 AM
I agree, Soda. I really struggled with the meaning of the lyrics for Bramble Rose at first, and then I finally just kind of gave up and figured Don was getting something in them that I wasn't. There are 4 songs on this album that have lyrics I'm not fond of: Bramble Rose, Words Can Break Your Heart, She Sang Hymns out of Tune, and Waiting Tables. I haven't even mentioned Waiting Tables yet, since no one has brought it up, so I'll save my comments on that one!

ETA: I love Too Far Gone! Don's voice sounds so sultry and sexy on it. And I want to scream at the girl in the song, "Are you crazy? Remember your old love -it's DON HENLEY! Why would anyone want to pick a new love???;)"

jms18222
03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
I am stupid..mis read & through Bramble Rose was eliminated. I again vote for Bramble Rose.

I love Words.

03-31-2016, 10:56 AM
There are still a lot of votes out and it's definitely not too late to eliminate Bramble Rose. So for those who want to save Words Can Break Your Heart and Too Far Gone, then it's time to ban together and ...

Vote for Bramble Rose!

I will definitely join in to eliminate it this time if my vote will make a difference.

Brooke
03-31-2016, 11:02 AM
Bramble Rose again for me.

ktdids
03-31-2016, 11:03 AM
Too Far Gone, again.

FWIW
03-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Bramble Rose isn't my least favorite of the songs remaining, but I really do like Trisha's harmonies in Words and don't want to see it voted off just yet.

So, I cast my vote for Bramble Rose and urge others to vote likewise and save Words.

L101
03-31-2016, 11:48 AM
I adore 'Too Far Gone' - it doesn't matter to me that Don didn't write it - he just sounds so good on it (sultry and sexy as Maryc said !!) and I just imagine he's singing it to me :grin: Also, the way he sings the word 'gone'.....sigh......

I also love Words - Don and Trisha - what more do you want ??? I wouldn't say it was trite. As CC is an old fashioned album, he seemed to have went back to the 80'/90's sound for this song.

But this round, I'll vote for Bramble Rose. I like this one as well, love the harmonica bit but to save the other songs, it has to go

DivineDon
03-31-2016, 11:49 AM
And I want to scream at the girl in the song, "Are you crazy? Remember your old love -it's DON HENLEY! Why would anyone want to pick a new love???;)"

THIS I completely relate to!!!!! She has to be crazy!!!

But I just think it's the melody that doesn't do it for me and I have listed my songs in preference and unfortunately 'Too far gone' is next to go for me.

NOLA
03-31-2016, 04:27 PM
I will vote for Bramble Rose to save "Words...," because I adore that song.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
03-31-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm gonna stick with voting for Bramble Rose.

03-31-2016, 06:36 PM
I am stupid..mis read & through Bramble Rose was eliminated. I again vote for Bramble Rose.

I love Words.

I'm sorry jms, but if you read the first post in this thread, it says that you are not allowed to change your vote once you have posted. I'm afraid we have to go with your original vote before you edited your post, which is Too Far Gone. Hopefully, this won't affect the final outcome of this round.

jms18222
03-31-2016, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry jms, but if you read the first post in this thread, it says that you are not allowed to change your vote once you have posted. I'm afraid we have to go with your original vote before you edited your post, which is Too Far Gone. Hopefully, this won't affect the final outcome of this round.

Oh that's okay!

Glennsallnighter
03-31-2016, 07:55 PM
The first time I listened to this CD I picked out 'Words' as one of my favourite songs, so in an effort to save it I will vote off Bramble Rose

Jonny Come Lately
04-01-2016, 05:11 AM
Oh dear, not only have we lost Praying For Rain but right now it seems like Bramble Rose will be next to go. :ack:

After reading some of the criticisms of Bramble Rose, especially Mick Jagger's vocals and whether they fit with Don and Miranda's voices, I re-listened to it and in my opinion I still think the song works. I definitely think it was the correct decision to have three lead singers on this song because the three verses are from different perspectives - Don is the man, Miranda is the woman and Mick acts as a sort of narrator, not actively involved in the relationship. Therefore it does not bother me that he does not sing with Don and Miranda and I personally do not care as to where or when he recorded it. I would be interested to hear any suggestions for a different voice who could have sung Mick's parts. I also love the gorgeous pedal steel used in the song.

My vote goes to Words Can Break Your Heart. I don't dislike it by any means, but it's not close to being one of my personal favourites, and it wouldn't be in my top three duets from the album.

I propose that if you want to save Bramble Rose, please vote for 'Words Can Break Your Heart'.

SAVE BRAMBLE ROSE! VOTE FOR WORDS CAN BREAK YOUR HEART!

If you cannot bear to vote for Words then vote for Too Far Gone (although I prefer it to Words and think it will probably survive this round unless there is a flurry of votes for it).

I have a couple of thoughts I would like to post about some of the other songs that have been eliminated that I haven't got around to making, but I intend to do a separate post for these.

GlennLover
04-01-2016, 09:57 AM
I vote Bramble Rose. It's my least favourite on the album. Sorry JCL.

shunlvswx
04-01-2016, 11:36 AM
I like Words Can Break Your Heart. I especially like the ACL version with Trisha singing the second verse(I still don't know why Don didn't have Trisha singing the second verse on the album).

So to save Words, I'm voting for Bramble Rose. I actually love the song. Don and Miranda sounded good together but when Mick came in with his voice. His part made me hate his verse. I did have doubts about this song when I first heard Mick and Miranda were singing together on this song.

timfan
04-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Looking likely that Bramble is going down without my help, so I'll vote once more for least fav song on the album Where I Am Now

Freypower
04-01-2016, 04:53 PM
After reading some of the criticisms of Bramble Rose, especially Mick Jagger's vocals and whether they fit with Don and Miranda's voices, I re-listened to it and in my opinion I still think the song works. I definitely think it was the correct decision to have three lead singers on this song because the three verses are from different perspectives - Don is the man, Miranda is the woman and Mick acts as a sort of narrator, not actively involved in the relationship. Therefore it does not bother me that he does not sing with Don and Miranda and I personally do not care as to where or when he recorded it. I would be interested to hear any suggestions for a different voice who could have sung Mick's parts. I also love the gorgeous pedal steel used in the song.

JCL, I like your thinking on this & I see why it doesn't bother you where or when Mick recorded his part. I LIKE his part - how could I not - and love his harmonica. I just don't think it's a very strong song & not even the great Sir Mick can save it.

04-01-2016, 06:37 PM
JCL - I also think you have an interesting interpretation of Bramble Rose and why Don used three different singers in the song. Unfortunately, it doesn't make me like the song any more. I would definitely vote to eliminate it, but it looks like the song will go down without any help from me. I am voting earlier than I normally do, but I am going out for a short while this evening and am afraid I may not make it home before the round ends. I also may be a little late posting the results tonight, but it shouldn't be too late. So I'll continue to vote for my least favorite song remaining ...

04-01-2016, 08:26 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Bramble Rose. “Bramble Rose”, we are the tribe and we have spoken – you might say we are the ungrateful few who tangle inside, but we are ashamed for making you blue. You may be restless enough and so scared to go, but you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Bramble Rose – 9
Words Can Break Your Heart – 5
Too Far Gone – 3
Where I Am Now – 1
A Younger Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
Bramble Rose – Brooke
Bramble Rose – FWIW
Bramble Rose – Lacken101
Bramble Rose – NOLA
Bramble Rose – SoaringRockyMountainWay
Bramble Rose – Glennsallnighter
Bramble Rose – GlennLover
Bramble Rose – shunlvswx
Words Can Break Your Heart – scottside
Too Far Gone – DivineDon
Too Far Gone – jms18222
Too Far Gone – ktdids
Where I Am Now – timfan

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
Too Far Gone
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Six begins now.

Freypower
04-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Come on folks. It's time for Words Can Break Your Heart to go, although I could easily vote for Too Far Gone, which is just dull.

NOLA
04-01-2016, 10:24 PM
No, it's NOT, FP, because some of us actually like the song. It's one of my favorites on the album, and some of the other voters have given it a favorable review, too.

I'll vote for Too Far Gone in this round.

scottside
04-01-2016, 11:27 PM

sodascouts
04-01-2016, 11:32 PM
There's something about "Too Far Gone" that I really like. Maybe it's the sexy way he sings "I've loved you so much for so long..." I hope it stays around longer.

What to vote for, though? I'm still thinking.

sodascouts
04-02-2016, 12:13 AM
OK, I've decided. I'm going to vote for "A Younger Man."

It's so freaking depressing. Got a smile on your face? Listen to this song and feel all the joy drain out of you.

ktdids
04-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Too Far Gone.
If it goes this round I have to look for another one that isn't a favorite.

DivineDon
04-02-2016, 03:20 AM
I adore 'A Younger man' - Don at his sexiest. I am that woman - Don is old enough to be my dad but I don't want a Younger Man lol. ...and the line 'You're an angel from the future, I'm an old devil from the past' is epic! I've listened to 'Too far gone' again and it's grown on me so this round I'm voting for

'Words can break your heart'

L101
04-02-2016, 06:03 AM
FP, I don't know why you bothered to listen to this album as you don't seem to like any of the songs on it! They are not all dull or boring as you seem to think!!

I love A Younger Man and Too Far Gone - Don sounds so good on them and I agree with DD about the Angel line in AYM - brilliant!

Have to think about my next vote for a while longer though. ........

AlreadyGone95
04-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I vote for Words Can Break Your Heart, again.

jms18222
04-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Too Far Gone

04-02-2016, 01:18 PM
OK, I've decided. I'm going to vote for "A Younger Man."

It's so freaking depressing. Got a smile on your face? Listen to this song and feel all the joy drain out of you.

That is hilarious and so true, soda.

As I've already stated, this is probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. Honestly, it does nothing for me either musically, lyrically, and especially vocally. With apologies to those who love it, I find it slow, boring, and, yes, a real downer. I don't like Don's voice in it at all. It's very reminiscent of his vocals in Damn It, Rose and the verses of Everything Is Different Now. When he uses his voice like this, I don't feel sexy at all - it actually kind of creeps me out. If I want sexy Don, songs like The Last Worthless Evening, I Will Not Go Quietly, and You Don't Know Me at All are much more to my liking.

So - if you want to save Words Can Break Your Heart or Too Far Gone, I would urge you to ...

VOTE FOR A YOUNGER MAN!

As a matter of fact, I feel so strongly about this that I don't see myself voting for anything else this round, so it's no need to wait ...

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm also going to vote for A Younger Man

timfan
04-02-2016, 04:17 PM
This round I vote for "Too Far Gone" as IMO it's repetitive and has something of a lackluster feel to it.

GlennLover
04-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I vote A Younger Man

Freypower
04-02-2016, 08:13 PM
FP, I don't know why you bothered to listen to this album as you don't seem to like any of the songs on it! They are not all dull or boring as you seem to think!!

I love A Younger Man and Too Far Gone - Don sounds so good on them and I agree with DD about the Angel line in AYM - brilliant!

Have to think about my next vote for a while longer though. ........

That isn't true at all, but if I'm voting for the songs I like the least, surely I am allowed to state that I find them 'dull' or whatever. In fact I used that word only about Too Far Gone. A Younger Man which is now starting to receive some votes is one of my favourites. She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune, which I really like, has gone, and I didn't really get any time to defend it.

Look at your own first vote where you stated that you 'hate' Too Much Pride with a passion. I have said nothing like that, and yet you object to me calling a song 'dull'. AG used the words 'boring and bland' and you didn't object to that. About the song I have been voting for, Words, I have said nothing except that I find it clichéd.

I can't deny that I don't think this is a great album. This is only my opinion & I completely understand if others think it is great.

L101
04-02-2016, 08:53 PM
FP, of course you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not singling out your comments - to me, they just seem like nothing good was said about the songs, that's all.
And I've always said that I hated Too Much Pride - I just hate that type of music, no matter who sings it.
I don't hate any of the other songs on CC so I'm having a hard time picking one to vote out now.....and reading the other comments on my favourite songs isn't helping either, it just makes me like them even more :-)

Freypower
04-02-2016, 09:36 PM
FP, of course you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not singling out your comments - to me, they just seem like nothing good was said about the songs, that's all.
And I've always said that I hated Too Much Pride - I just hate that type of music, no matter who sings it.
I don't hate any of the other songs on CC so I'm having a hard time picking one to vote out now.....and reading the other comments on my favourite songs isn't helping either, it just makes me like them even more :-)

I said I liked the quirkiness of Hymns & I liked Mick Jagger's part in Bramble Rose & his harmonica. I can't be more postitive about Words because it is my second least favourite track from the album (my least favourite is the song wihich went first, When I Stop Dreaming). As I said, I didn't have enough time to defend Hymns & now it's gone, I can't really go back to it. For what it's worth, I agree with what has been said in defence of A Younger Man, which is a song I like.

As for Praying For Rain I said it was monotonous & I stand by that. It should have been a great song but something is missing from it.

maryc2130
04-02-2016, 10:14 PM
I love both "Too Far Gone" and "A Younger Man", and I feel sad that one of them seems to be going in this round. Don's voice doesn't bother me in A Younger Man. I don't have time to write much now, but I struggle with his message. I'get most of it, but I'm not sure exactly what he's saying and who he's saying it to. And I like that. One of the things I love about Don's lyrics is trying to figure out the meaning behind them. They are often not what they seem at first listen. Anyway, I really like the song, and his voice bothers me more on "Where I Am Now" than on this one.

I vote (again) for Words Can Break Your Heart.

Jonny Come Lately
04-03-2016, 05:05 AM
I definitely want to save A Younger Man. Soda’s description did make me smile (you have a real knack for funny descriptions of songs), and I will concede that it’s not exactly uplifting, to say the least, but I really like it. Admittedly I perhaps have a greater tolerance for ‘depressing’ music than others (then again, many of the songs that most annoy me are extremely happy and upbeat, so make of that what you will!). It comes across as an honest acceptance that he’s old and cynical and can no longer pretend to be this idealised version of himself. I feel that it and Where Am I Now are companion pieces and in this context it feels less depressing: ‘I’m just a grumpy old man. But I like being a grumpy old man’! I love the ‘angel from the future/old devil from the past’ verse, partly because it reminds of the classic One of These Nights lyric, which has always been one of my favourites.

This time around there are three songs in peril - interestingly no one has voted for any song outside of this trio yet. Of these songs, my order of preference from favourite to least favourite is:
A Younger Man
Too Far Gone

I like Too Far Gone, but one thing keeps me from really loving it – it shares its title with a Neil Young song from his 1989 Freedom album, which also has something of a country sound and the start of the chorus is quite similar, and I prefer that song to the one Don has covered (here's a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmjQNkQeVmQ). However, I do prefer it to Words.

Therefore, I will again vote for Words Can Break Your Heart.

Thanks to Dreamer and FP for your kind words about my Bramble Rose comments. One thing that has been fun about this game is that it’s been quite unpredictable as the songs are still relatively new, so it’s been interesting to see how songs have been received. I’m personally not surprised that When I Stop Dreaming was the first song to go (from my experience, I think Dolly Parton’s voice is a bit off-putting to people who prefer rock to country), but some of the other results have surprised me a little.

Another thing I’ve noticed: I was listening to Maggie’s Farm by Bob Dylan a few days ago and it struck me that the opening verse lyrics include ‘Well I wake up in the morning, fold my hands and pray for rain’. This has made me wonder if Don got the idea for Praying For Rain from this song, and if he did this might explain his vocal on the ‘some pray for sweet release’ verse.

Glennsallnighter
04-03-2016, 05:59 AM
I haven't played CC since Glenn :heart:'s death (I'm sorry, I felt too resentful that Don could release an album while Glenn :heart: was dying. I know thats not strictly true either - the album release and tour were sorted long before Glenn :heart: ever got ill. Hard for me to explain in words - Sorry) Anyway I let it play twice yesterday so thats another hurdle I've jumped. My favourite is still my favourite and I'm glad of that. I think I will give it another blast today before I vote.

L101
04-03-2016, 07:37 AM
GA - I'm glad that you know that Don wouldn't release an album and tour while Glenn was so sick as we both know that the first thing he would do if that was the case would be to postpone both!! But I'm glad that you were able to listen to CC and it was ok for you :-)

I'm sensing a bit of a backlash against Don over Glenn passing on the web at the moment and how he's getting on with his life and touring etc. and it's annoying me - so much so that I've stopped reading anything to do with Don, Glenn and the Eagles at the moment. The only thing I'm doing is the CC survivor (and I might not even do that soon) and watching out for Don's tour dates - I think I've finally had enough Eagles !! :stunned:

Anyway, I can't vote for any of the three songs in contention in this round so I'm going to vote for No, Thank You. It's one of the liveliest songs on the album, and Don is at his best ranting but I can give or take it - and no matter how hard I try, I always end up singing Achy Breaky Heart which stays in my head for the rest of the day :ack:

DivineDon
04-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Please don't stop playing, Lacken 'though I understand how you feel. GA, I'm glad you're listening to CC again - I also kind of understand that listening to Don invariably makes you think of Glenn so you get sad and then angry because he's gone but as Lacken said, there is no way Don would have released CC if he had known what was going to happen.

I'm surprised and disappointed that some of the comments in this Survivor game are so vehement - it's supposed to be a fun process which is why I joined The Border in the first place. Of course not everyone has the same taste but if you don't like a song there's no need to be so vitriolic - others do and that's the nature of the game....and no, I'm not talking about anyone in particular just a general sense of the situation. I just have the feeling some players are resentful that it's Don's album so all I can say is if you don't like it or aren't really interested in it then don't play. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'll stick around either - life, as we've all discovered, is too short for pettiness.

GlennLover
04-03-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm sure that Glenn would want Don (and others) to get on with living.

04-03-2016, 01:55 PM
I believe most of us here know that Don is in no way to blame for Glenn’s death or that he went full speed with the release of Cass County and the subsequent tour on Glenn’s deathbed. It was quite the contrary. All of the plans for Cass County were made well in advance of Glenn becoming sick. It is true that Glenn had taken sick towards the end of the tour. Once Don was aware of the seriousness of Glenn’s illness, he rushed right to his bedside to be there to support Irving and Glenn’s family. From all indications, he has been there to support them throughout the remainder of this horrible ordeal. I have nothing but admiration for the way he has conducted himself.

Having said all this, still anger is a natural part of grieving, so I don’t think it’s abnormal for people to feel a sense of resentment when they see others moving on with their lives while they're dealing with the finality of their loss. However, it is not and has never been acceptable on this board for anyone to lash out against band members. To the best of my knowledge that hasn’t happened in this case.

As far as this Survivor game, I truly hope no one stops playing, but everyone needs to decide that for themselves. As we have said many times in these games, sometimes you have to have a thick skin to play Survivor. It is not a game for those that are super-sensitive. I would just ask everyone to consider a few things here about this game …
- We are still in the earlier rounds, so as is always the case, the comments are more negative because these are the least favorite songs. With 18 songs on this album, this is a longer game than many so that most likely leaves room for more negative and positive comments. We haven’t gotten to the favorite songs part of the game yet.

- While there have been some negative comments made in this game about some of these songs, that is true of all Survivor games. I don’t see where the comments here are any more harsh than in others games, and most certainly do not reach the level of ‘vitriolic’.

- It has never been a requirement that members have to like the songs, albums, videos, etc. in order to participate in our Survivor games. People are entitled to give their opinions or not give them as long as it is done respectfully without attacking anyone else.
And now I have to admit, this is definitely not my favorite album of Don’s and it has nothing to do with resentment or any kind of backlash. I feel very similar to this album as I did about Glenn’s After Hours. I don’t think they are bad albums, but their styles of music just aren’t my ‘thing’. This is strictly my opinion, but the Eagles music I fell in love with over 40 years ago works just fine for me. So I don't have any real need for Don to totally change his style. I will take more of the same anytime, pure and simple.

So, hopefully, we can all enjoy playing the Survivor games regardless of how well we like the piece of work or how much others agree or disagree with our impressions. The only way to keep it fun is to not take it so seriously and keep in mind that it is just a game after all. :grouphug:

P.S. My apologies for the length of this post.

shunlvswx
04-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Words is going down and we need to save it.

Save Words, vote for either A Younger Man or Too Far Gone.

I'm voting for Too Far Gone.

sodascouts
04-03-2016, 07:10 PM
The Survivors are always "vehement" - go check out some old ones! It's funny because when people don't say much and just vote, some will complain that the game's not lively enough. Then, when people give impassioned opinions that are negative in order to justify why they're voting for a certain song to go, others complain that the game's not positive enough.

I understand both viewpoints, and of course if you don't enjoy the game, it's perfectly reasonable that you'd stop playing it! However, I do hope that everyone continues playing with the perspective that it's actually a compliment to Don that he inspires passionate responses. It would be a much worse reflection upon him if no one cared enough to post anything about the album.

BTW, I absolutely adore "That Old Flame" and I will speak just as positively about that one when the time comes as I spoke negatively about "A Younger Man." My dislike of the latter has nothing to do with Glenn's death, nor do any of my opinions of the songs on Cass County, all of which I formed when the album came out and many of which are positive.

This is not a new problem - pretty much every Survivor we've ever played has people complaining about negativity - and I understand that because nobody likes to read someone criticizing a song that is special to them. In the end, though, I still think the games are worth playing because the negativity is balanced out with positive comments (although it's easy to overlook those when one is upset) and it's so interesting to see what people think about the album. Plus, it inspires people to listen to the album again, which is always a good thing!

FWIW
04-03-2016, 07:26 PM
You're right on, Soda. I have been listening to CC again. In fact shortly after I listened to A Younger Man, I listened to I Found Somebody. Talk about a contrast!

In an effort to save Words (it's the harmonies for me) I cast my vote for A Younger Man.

04-03-2016, 08:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Words Can Break Your Heart. “Words Can Break Your Heart”, the tribe has spoken and it only takes a vote or two to tear your world apart. You may be thinking, ‘Oh, can we just start over’? No, what's done is done so you must leave the island immediately.

Votes
Words Can Break Your Heart – 6
Too Far Gone – 5
A Younger Man – 5
No, Thank You – 1

Vote Breakdown
Words Can Break Your Heart – scottside
Words Can Break Your Heart – DivineDon
Too Far Gone – NOLA
Too Far Gone – ktdids
Too Far Gone – jms18222
Too Far Gone – timfan
Too Far Gone – shunlvswx
A Younger Man – sodascouts
A Younger Man – SoaringRockyMountainWay
A Younger Man – GlennLover
A Younger Man – FWIW
No, Thank You – Lacken101

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
Too Far Gone
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Seven begins now.

sodascouts
04-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Shoot. It's too bad there was a split coalition or I think "Words" could have been saved. I thought that was a very pretty song. Oh well, that's the way "Survivor" works!

Let's hope my least favorite (at this point) goes this time!

I cast my vote for "A Younger Man."

Freypower
04-03-2016, 09:29 PM
I think it makes sense for me to join any coalition to eliminate Too Far Gone.

scottside
04-03-2016, 10:17 PM
I vote for "Too Far Gone." I actually really like the song a lot, but I'm so used to hearing Emmylou Harris singing it that I could never get used to Henley's version.

Brooke
04-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Shoot! I wish someone would have texted me to get in here and vote! If I'd have voted last round I would have tried to save Words! It's one of my favorites on the album! And I really like Too Far Gone, too. Weekends are way busy for me and don't usually make it here, although I would have tried to have taken a moment to vote!

I also hope everyone continues to play. It's just a game and everyone likes different things about songs, so there's bound to be some conflict!

So, now I vote for A Younger Man.

NOLA
04-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Casting a repeat vote for Too Far Gone. I really like how Don's voice rises and falls during "A Younger Man," so I'm not ready to see it gone yet.

Brooke, I wish you could've, too. "Words..." is a fave of mine, as well.

jms18222
04-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Casting a repeat vote for Too Far Gone. I really like how Don's voice rises and falls during "A Younger Man," so I'm not ready to see it gone yet.

Brooke, I wish you could've, too. "Words..." is a fave of mine, as well.

I'm with you, I LOVED Younger Man! That's my favorite song on the whole cd. The wishfulness & yearning on this song melts my heart. It is just such a simple song yet it resonates & makes one wonder whether there was a younger woman at one point.

AlreadyGone95
04-04-2016, 11:15 AM
I like Too Far Gone and A Younger Man about the same. I can't pick one over the other, so I vote my least favorite that is remaining, The Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

jms18222
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I vote for Too Far Gone

DivineDon
04-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Waiting Tables

Glennsallnighter
04-04-2016, 04:30 PM
A Younger Man is my vote

timfan
04-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I'll vote for Too Far Gone once more this round for the reasons I mentioned in the last

04-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Well - I'll try to rally some more support to save Too Far Gone. This isn't my favorite on the album, but I do like it and would like to see it stay around a while longer. So for those who haven't voted already, c'mon and jump on the bandwagon to save it by joining with me ...

maryc2130
04-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Well, I love both Too Far Gone and A Younger Man. As I said before, I love Don's voice in Too Far Gone - so sexy! I love the way Don sings the line, "I'm an old devil from the past," in A Younger Man. It always makes me smile! I'll take the old devil any day. ;)

The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is nothing special, but it's a pretty little tune, so I will join DD in voting for Waiting Tables.

Musically, it's not bad, and I like the lyrics in the first verse, but after that, not so much. It's all so unimaginative and trite. A waitress who counts her tips? Who marries as soon as she's out of school and is a single mom at 23? Really? And then one rainy night, a handsome man comes in. Really, Don? Handsome? For such a great lyricist, surely he can think of a more interesting adjective than handsome. But in the morning, he was gone (sung very dramatically). In fact, a lot of the song is over-sung. I can see why it's an Eagles reject.

Okay, sorry about that rant. I got a little carried away, but I feel strongly about this song. It could be so good, but it feels like it's phoned in and full of the hackneyed instead. So that's why it gets my vote!

ktdids
04-04-2016, 11:20 PM
One last vote for Too Far Gone for me, and then it's time to re-evaluate....

Jonny Come Lately
04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is nothing special, but it's a pretty little tune, so I will join DD in voting for Waiting Tables.

Musically, it's not bad, and I like the lyrics in the first verse, but after that, not so much. It's all so unimaginative and trite. A waitress who counts her tips? Who marries as soon as she's out of school and is a single mom at 23? Really? And then one rainy night, a handsome man comes in. Really, Don? Handsome? For such a great lyricist, surely he can think of a more interesting adjective than handsome. But in the morning, he was gone (sung very dramatically). In fact, a lot of the song is over-sung. I can see why it's an Eagles reject.

Okay, sorry about that rant. I got a little carried away, but I feel strongly about this song. It could be so good, but it feels like it's phoned in and full of the hackneyed instead. So that's why it gets my vote!

I like Waiting Tables better than you do, but I can see your points about the song. I agree about the 'rainy night' verse, and about the use of the word handsome, which is not terrible but if I contrast this with the boy waiting in Lyin' Eyes 'with fiery eyes and dreams no one can steal', this description is much more vague and doesn't really give a clear picture of what this man is like. It doesn't really make it clear whether he's young or old, well off or in a similar financial situation to hers. I also agree that he does sing the final line of that verse too dramatically, and it seems jarring as I like the way he sings the choruses. I do like the song overall, although it wouldn't be in my personal top five. I am intrigued by the writing credits - Henley/Lynch/Smith is not a unique writing combination on Cass County, and on LROOE Do Something is credited to Henley, Schmit and Smith, so it would be interesting to know exactly how it came together, as Stan Lynch didn't co-write anything on Eden.

I agree about The Brand New Tennessee Waltz, it isn't a standout track but it is a likeable, unpretentious country song that adds a bit of lightness to the album. I don't mind if it goes soon, as I certainly don't think it is as good as most of the remaining songs. I personally feel it is more successful at doing this than She Sang Hymns, although I accept others will disagree.

As I want to save A Younger Man, I will join the coalition and this time around my vote goes to Too Far Gone.

I've just noticed that no one has voted for either of the Target special edition bonus tracks yet. I must admit this has slightly surprised me, although I personally think there were 2-3 tracks that were definitely weaker than either of them so I wouldn't have voted for either song in the early rounds even without tactical voting.

FWIW
04-05-2016, 11:21 AM
I vote for A Younger Man.

Funny you should mention the Target bonus tracks. When I first listened to CC, I really didn't like Here Come Those Tears Again. I grew up listening to and loving Jackson Browne's version so that's the gold standard for me. There was something about the rhythm of Don's version that I didn't like. In fact if I played this game after that first listen, I probably would have voted for the song by now. After listening to it several more times, it has grown on me.

L101
04-05-2016, 02:07 PM
I love Too far gone and A younger man but in order to save A younger man, I'm voting for Too Far Gone :-(

shunlvswx
04-05-2016, 02:17 PM
I like both songs, but I want to save one of them. I'm voting for Too Far Gone to save A Younger Man.

Brooke
04-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Well, I only have the deluxe cd and I haven't listened to the two extra songs yet! (Don't hit me please!) Where can I find them online or is there a place?

L101
04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Well, I only have the deluxe cd and I haven't listened to the two extra songs yet! (Don't hit me please!) Where can I find them online or is there a place?

Brooke - how could you !! :grin:

Here come those tears again (http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129921207142/undoingthelaces-here-come-those-tears-again-don)

It don't matter to the sun (http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129855840754/here-ya-guys-go-it-dont-matter-to-the-sun-don)

Brooke
04-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Brooke - how could you !! :grin:

Here come those tears again (http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129921207142/undoingthelaces-here-come-those-tears-again-don)

It don't matter to the sun (http://captive-cogitations.tumblr.com/post/129855840754/here-ya-guys-go-it-dont-matter-to-the-sun-don)

I know, I'm awful, aren't I? :blush:

Thank you so much Lacken!

I do think I listened to them way back when, but since I don't have that cd.......

And all I can say is, wow! They are both beautiful! I must say I do prefer Jackson Brown's 'tears' to Don's but if someone else had to sing it, I would want it to be Don. No one else could get away with it. Maybe Glenn..... It's got a bit of 'country' to it and I wish you could hear Allison Krauss better because she has a beautiful voice.

'Sun' is just gorgeous! What else can you say with Don and Stevie singing it!

These definitely will change my top 6 line up! :wink:

04-05-2016, 08:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Too Far Gone. “Too Far Gone”, the tribe has spoken and there’s someone we love more than you. We hate to say it but you have a right to be free so go ahead and leave the island immediately.

Votes
Too Far Gone – 9
A Younger Man – 5
Waitng Tables – 2
Brand New Tennessee Waltz – 1

Vote Breakdown
Too Far Gone – Freypower
Too Far Gone – scottside
Too Far Gone – NOLA
Too Far Gone – jms18222
Too Far Gone – timfan
Too Far Gone – ktdids
Too Far Gone – Jonny Come Lately
Too Far Gone – Lacken101
Too Far Gone – shunlvswx
A Younger Man – Brooke
A Younger Man – Glennsallnighter
A Younger Man – FWIW
Waiting Tables – DivineDon
Waiting Tables – maryc2130
Brand New Tennessee Waltz – AlreadyGone95

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01
Too Far Gone 4/05

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Waiting Tables
Take a Picture of This
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Eight begins now.

Freypower
04-05-2016, 11:13 PM
I didn't want to be first to vote again, but here goes.

The Cost Of Living

scottside
04-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Waiting Tables.

ktdids
04-06-2016, 01:04 AM
Waiting Tables this time.

DivineDon
04-06-2016, 03:46 AM
Waiting Tables

maryc2130
04-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Waiting Tables

The Cost of Living is one of my favorite songs on the album. I'm not really a country fan, but I think I've fallen in love with Merle Haggard's voice from listening to this song. And, of course, I've been in love with Mr. Henley's for a long time. The two of them together? Heaven!

sodascouts
04-06-2016, 07:04 AM
Hey guys, don't forget that "A Younger Man" is still in the game! I can see why "Waiting Tables" is getting votes - it has its flaws - but I still think it's the superior song out of the two.

"The Cost of Living" is a clever pun, and I think the lyrics work overall. I'm not ready for it to go yet!

I cast my vote for "A Younger Man" for reasons already expressed.

FWIW
04-06-2016, 08:00 AM

NOLA
04-06-2016, 09:05 AM
I'll vote for Waiting Tables, because I don't favor it as much as "A Younger Man."

Agree, MaryC, "The Cost of Living" is one of the best songs on the album. Love it! :heart:

Brooke
04-06-2016, 09:11 AM
A Younger Man again for me.

AlreadyGone95
04-06-2016, 11:47 AM
The Cost of Living is one of my favorites. I like Waiting Tables, so even though I like it more than some of the remaining songs, I vote for A Younger Man.

Brooke
04-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Just read and posted that Merle Haggard has died on his birthday! How awful!

And Cost of Living is one of my favorites too. :sad:

Jonny Come Lately
04-06-2016, 02:18 PM
I'm not going to vote just yet, as I'm not completely decided, but I just thought I'd get my thoughts about a few the songs that have received votes this round.

The Cost of Living is one of my big favourites and I am delighted to see that others share my love of it. I think it's a great song, I love the intro, the chorus and the lyrics. Merle Haggard is my single favourite guest on the album - his vocals go together great with Don's and they both sound great for their ages. I think Don should be very proud to get Merle to sing on his country album, having a true legend of the genre on there really gives it a lot of authenticity. I definitely want to save it, and I still think it's too early for A Younger Man to go.

I would be okay if Waiting Tables went this round, although I do still quite it - looking at the positives. Although I think the verses aren't consistent in quality, I like the choruses throughout the song and think these are well done.

Of the songs that have received votes in the game so far, not just in this round, my next choice to go would probably be The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. It's fun but feels lightweight to me compared to the other songs I've mentioned, especially the first two. However, given that no one has voted for it so far, right now I feel I am probably going to be better off voting tactically.

Having mentioned the two bonus tracks, I should probably say that my opinions on them differ greatly. I'll start with the bad news... (*checks to see whether Soda is online and braces himself for tambourine attacks*)... I'm sorry to say I don't like It Don't Matter To The Sun that much. Yes, I know. I'll get in first :steviesmack: :steviesmack:. It's not all bad, I think Don sings it well, but I think Stevie's vocal is a bit disappointing (I think I deserve an extra one for that :steviesmack:). Her voice sounds different from usual and I prefer her 'normal' vocals. The main problem though is that - I have to be frank here - I find it dull and lifeless musically (it feels like the sort of ballad that Adele or latter day Coldplay would make, musically 'flat') and the keyboard just bores me. I much prefer the country sound of just about everything else from the album. It's probably my third least favourite song after When I Stop Dreaming and Hymns. :sad: I don't mean to offend anyone who does like it, it just doesn't do it for me.

Now for the good news - I absolutely love Here Comes Those Tears Again! I had actually never heard this song (not even Jackson's version, let alone Don's) until a few days ago, but it's quickly become one of my most loved songs from this era and I've played it on repeat. I've listened to Jackson's original a few times as well, which is also very good. I'm normally an 'original is best' kind of guy, but if you asked me whether I thought Don's version was the better of the two... I'd say yes. I love the arrangement of this version, his vocal is great and I'm stunned at how right these words seem coming from him given that they were extremely personal to Jackson. I must admit the only thing I don't love about the original is the female backing vocals which I find a bit jarring, but Don's take doesn't include these and I actually prefer it that way. Jackson of course deserves plenty of credit too for writing such a great song. I am well impressed indeed! :applause:

jms18222
04-06-2016, 02:26 PM
My vote is Waiting Tables.

So sorry to hear of Merle's passing.

AlreadyGone95
04-06-2016, 02:54 PM
JCL, you're not the only Mac/Stevie fan who doesn't care much for the song. It's probably my fourth least favorite, behind Words,Dreaming, and Tennessee Waltz. I agree with not enjoying her voice, and to me, it seems like Stevie was an afterthought. She doesn't add anything to an ok song.

L101
04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
I love A Younger Man and don't want to see it go yet so I'm voting for Waiting Tables. I like the song but it does drag on a bit towards the end and it feels to me that Don didn't give it his full attention as I don't think its up to his exacting standards ;-)

So sad to hear of Merle Haggard dying. I don't really know much of his music but The Cost Of Living is one of the best songs on the album. Don's and Merles voices just blend so well together.

JCL - I agree with you on Tears - Its one of my top 3 songs and its usually on repeat. I like Jacksons version but Don's is more upbeat and it sounds as if it was written just for him.
I also like Sun but not really the keyboard bit (don't really like the piano in the live version either). I think an acoustic guitar would have been better :shrug:
But I like Stevie on it - she doesn't sound like her normal self but still sounds ok.....and just for the sake of it - :steviesmack: :grin:

Freypower
04-06-2016, 06:14 PM
I obviously didn't know Merle Haggard had died when I voted for The Cost Of Living, and I'm obviously alone in not liking the song that much, and will leave it there.

timfan
04-07-2016, 07:34 AM
I vote for It Don't Matter to the Sun. Though I don't have the Target Exclusive version of Cass County (since Target Canada stores ceased operation last year), I have listen to the song a few times with the link provided and to be honest find it boring and uninspired. JMO of course

Glennsallnighter
04-07-2016, 09:52 AM
I'll vote off 'A Younger Man' again this round

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-07-2016, 03:04 PM
To save Waiting Tables I'm voting for A Younger Man.

Jonny Come Lately
04-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I think I've probably waited long enough now before voting. My vote for this round goes to Waiting Tables, in the hope that this will save A Younger Man. I am aware this song is in danger as it received more votes than Waiting Tables in the last round.

Timfan, I agree with you about It Don't Matter To The Sun - I would vote for it but it seems very unlikely to go this time around and I don't think A Younger Man is safe.

shunlvswx
04-07-2016, 07:00 PM
I like Younger Man. So I'm voting for Waiting Tables.

04-07-2016, 07:57 PM
I wish I could appreciate A Younger Man as much as some of you, but it just does nothing for me ... I am so ready for it to go, but I guess it's not to be. So once again ...

04-07-2016, 08:01 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Waiting Tables. “Waiting Tables”, the tribe has spoken and I guess you thought there must be more than this. But you’ve been biding your time until there's somewhere else to go – so pack it up because you leave must the island immediately.

Votes
Waiting Tables – 9
A Younger Man – 7
The Cost of Living – 1
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – 1

Vote Breakdown
Waiting Tables – scottside
Waiting Tables – ktdids
Waiting Tables – DivineDon
Waiting Tables – maryc2130
Waiting Tables – NOLA
Waiting Tables – jms18222
Waiting Tables – Lacken101
Waiting Tables – Jonny Come Lately
Waiting Tables – shunlvswx
A Younger Man – FWIW
A Younger Man – Brooke
A Younger Man – AlreadyGone95
A Younger Man – Glennsallnighter
The Cost of Living – Freypower
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – timfan

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01
Too Far Gone 4/05
Waiting Tables 4/07

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Take a Picture of This
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
A Younger Man
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Nine begins now.

scottside
04-07-2016, 11:22 PM
A Younger Man

sodascouts
04-08-2016, 12:18 AM
I'm not giving up...

I cast my vote for "A Younger Man."

FWIW
04-08-2016, 12:46 AM
I vote for A Younger Man. IIRC Dreamer has voted for this song from the very first round. Is its time finally up?

DivineDon
04-08-2016, 02:46 AM
'It Don't Matter to the Sun' - Stevie Nicks just ruins it for me.

timfan
04-08-2016, 06:34 AM
I'll vote for It Don't Matter to the Sun again

ktdids
04-08-2016, 09:48 AM
Voting for Where I am Now.

Brooke
04-08-2016, 09:48 AM
A Younger Man again for me.

I'm not too disappointed that Waiting Tables went this time cause it would have been next for me, but AYM needs to go this time. Please!

jms18222
04-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Sorry Stevie fans but It Don't Matter To The Sun has my vote. Should have been a solo song.

I still love Younger Man.

NOLA
04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't really care for the bonus track with Stevie, either. So, my vote goes to It Don't Matter to the Sun, along with the hope of saving "A Younger Man" for elimination in a later round.

AlreadyGone95
04-08-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm going to let this round go as it pleases, and vote for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz, again.

Brooke
04-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Gosh, I'm sorry to see all the votes for Sun! I thought it was wonderful! :sad: How can it be worse than AYM or BNTW? :headscratch:

L101
04-08-2016, 02:32 PM
I can't vote for Sun or AYM as I love them so I'll go with No, Thank You

Jonny Come Lately
04-08-2016, 04:18 PM
I vote for It Don't Matter To The Sun. Partly to try and save A Younger Man for another round but also because I'm just not crazy about this song. I can't hate a track which features one of my top three vocalists and my favourite female singer, yet the song itself it doesn't do it for me. Looking at it in a positive light, I would say that this is partly because I love so many of the other songs, many of which feature Don performing duets with artists who I had not really listened to before.

I suspect A Younger Man will probably go sooner rather than later. I like it a lot, but the only two songs left that I think are definitely weaker than it are IDMTTS and The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. The others all rate highly with me, and they include all of my probable top five tracks.

shunlvswx
04-08-2016, 05:06 PM
I was going to vote tomorrow, but I'm gonna go ahead and vote today.

I'm voting for A Younger Man.

Freypower
04-08-2016, 06:06 PM
I like A Younger Man. Though it is now bound to go I am happy to go along with the votes for It Don't Matter To The Sun.

Aussiefan
04-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Just joining the game...and I'm afraid It Don't Matter To The Sun has my vote this round.

04-09-2016, 04:41 PM
It's not too late to eliminate A Younger Man if some of the members who have been voting for it previously come in and vote. Come on guys - get yourself in here before this round ends tonight! I'll do my part ...

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-09-2016, 04:54 PM
I agree that Stevie kinda ruins It Don't Matter to the Sun but I'm willing to over look that because Don sounds really good in it so I'm sticking with voting for A Younger Man.

maryc2130
04-09-2016, 08:00 PM
I'll vote for It Don't Matter to the Sun. There are songs I like less, but I'd rather try to save A Younger Man.

I actually like IDMTTS, but I agree that Stevie's voice is somewhat jarring. Perhaps they should have sung more of it together, or have Stevie just doing harmony. It does sound nice at the end when they sing together, but her voice on the solo verse sounds weird - maybe it's just too late in the song and it's a kind of startling after hearing Don the whole time.

04-09-2016, 08:02 PM
In another tied round, the next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is A Younger Man. “A Younger Man”, the tribe has spoken and we knew it was never gonna last. We know you’re disappointed cause this isn’t what you wanted. But you're an angel from the future, so stop chasing that old devil from the past and leave the island immediately.

Votes
A Younger Man – 7
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – 7
Where I Am Now – 1
Brand New Tennessee Waltz – 1
No, Thank You – 1

Previous Votes
A Younger Man – 21
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – 1

Vote Breakdown
A Younger Man – scottside
A Younger Man – FWIW
A Younger Man – Brooke
A Younger Man – shunlvswx
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – DivineDon
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – jms18222
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – NOLA
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – Jonny Come Lately
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – Freypower
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – Aussiefan
Where I Am Now – ktdids
Brand New Tennessee Waltz – AlreadyGone95

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01
Too Far Gone 4/05
Waiting Tables 4/07
A Younger Man 4/09

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Take a Picture of This
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Ten begins now.

Freypower
04-09-2016, 08:41 PM
OK, I may as well be first again & go with It Don't Matter To The Sun.

It will be interesting to see which song the Younger Man voters pick now!

04-09-2016, 09:58 PM
It's too bad that Mary's vote didn't get in on time in the last round, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pleased with the final outcome. It was a squeaker, but I'll take it.

As far as what my choice will be now, I'm debating over two songs. I'll see how this round goes before I vote.

WalshFan88
04-09-2016, 10:03 PM
I'm sitting this game out as last year and this year have been very hectic and to be honest, I haven't been doing much board participation and I need to listen to Cass County again but I'm gonna sit this one out.

I love It Don't Matter To The Sun though - Chris Gaines was way more my speed than Garth Brooks. When it comes to country I prefer newer acts like Luke Bryan, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, etc but the Chris Gaines stuff had a bit of a different edge.

And that's all from me on this one.

ktdids
04-09-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm going with Where I am Now again. Least favorite of what is left.

DivineDon
04-10-2016, 03:34 AM
I'm staying with 'It don't matter to the sun' - I love the song and Don's voice - if only they had left Stevie out of it. ..

timfan
04-10-2016, 07:00 AM
Sticking with It Don't Matter To The Sun

NOLA
04-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Voting again for It Don't Matter to the Sun.

scottside
04-10-2016, 10:01 AM

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-10-2016, 10:46 AM
Now I think it's time for It Don't Matter to the Sun to go.

AlreadyGone95
04-10-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm sticking with The Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

Keith
04-10-2016, 02:39 PM
"The Brand New Tennessee Waltz.":thumbsdown:

sodascouts
04-10-2016, 06:04 PM
"Literally waltzing on air"

No. You're not LITERALLY waltzing on air. You are FIGURATIVELY doing it. It is impossible to literally dance on air. Pet peeve!

I cast my vote for Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

shunlvswx
04-10-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm voting for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I'm surprised its still in the game.

DivineDon
04-11-2016, 06:35 AM
"Literally waltzing on air"

No. You're not LITERALLY waltzing on air. You are FIGURATIVELY doing it. It is impossible to literally dance on air. Pet peeve!

I cast my vote for Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

I'm sure it killed Don to have to sing such a grammatically incorrect line :hilarious:

I know BNTW is trite but it's very infectious and my mother absolutely loves it - she waltzes around the kitchen to it :smile:

L101
04-11-2016, 07:03 AM
To save ITMTTS, I'm voting for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

Brooke
04-11-2016, 09:42 AM
I'm going with The Brand New Tennessee Waltz too.

FWIW
04-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Given the close race between It Don't Matter to the Sun and The Brand New Tennessee Waltz, I'll vote for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz this round. I like IDMTTS more.

Jonny Come Lately
04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't mind if either of these two songs went, but I will again vote for It Don't Matter To The Sun.

My vote is partly based on my personal preferences but is also somewhat tactical - if IDMTTS is eliminated this time then I will vote for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz in the next round. The same would hold true the other way around, but (I am second guessing here) I get the sense that IDMTTS is a more polarising song than Tennessee Waltz - with the former it seems to me that some people don't like, but others do like a lot, and therefore I suspect it is less likely to gain more voters in the next round if it survives than Waltz, which doesn't seem to have as many active defenders. The remaining songs are all amongst my favourites and I must admit I would rather see the two songs in danger this time around go before any of the others.

jms18222
04-11-2016, 02:11 PM
It Don't Matter To The Sun

04-11-2016, 07:52 PM
I have to agree with DD - I think The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is rather infectious.

I actually like IDMTTS, but I agree that Stevie's voice is somewhat jarring. Perhaps they should have sung more of it together, or have Stevie just doing harmony. It does sound nice at the end when they sing together, but her voice on the solo verse sounds weird - maybe it's just too late in the song and it's a kind of startling after hearing Don the whole time.

What she said except I'm not that fond of the song to begin with. So ...

I cast my vote for It Don't Matter to the Sun.

04-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Well, In another tied round, the next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is It Don’t Matter to the Sun. “It Don’t Matter to the Sun”, the tribe has spoken and it don’t matter to us if you go. So, please find another place to shine on down on some other lover's dreams because you leave must the island immediately.

Votes
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – 8
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – 8
Where I Am Now – 1

Previous Votes
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – 8
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz - 2

Vote Breakdown
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – Freypower
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – DivineDon
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – NOLA
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – SoaringRockyMountainWay
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – Jonny Come Lately
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – jms18222
It Don’t Matter to the Sun – Ive always been a dreamer
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – scottside
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – AlreadyGone95
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – Keith
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – sodascouts
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – shunlvswx
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – Lacken101
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – Brooke
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – FWIW
Where I Am Now – ktdids

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01
Too Far Gone 4/05
Waiting Tables 4/07
A Younger Man 4/09

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Take a Picture of This
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Eleven begins now.

Freypower
04-11-2016, 08:15 PM
TBNTW will probably go down now so I will return to my previous vote, The Cost Of Living, although I am the only person to vote for it so far.

scottside
04-11-2016, 11:22 PM

AlreadyGone95
04-12-2016, 01:18 AM
Here's hoping that the 4th time voting for it is the charm... The Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

DivineDon
04-12-2016, 02:49 AM
Take a picture of this

Jonny Come Lately
04-12-2016, 03:08 AM
I'll get my vote in early this time as I know exactly which song I think should go next. It's The Brand New Tennessee Waltz for me.

ktdids
04-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Looks like there's going to be variety in this round, but I'll be the stickler and go with Where I am Now, again.

maryc2130
04-12-2016, 06:22 AM
I'll go with Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I don't hate it, but I don't love it, and I really like most of the songs left.

FWIW
04-12-2016, 10:30 AM
I'll stick with The Brand New Tennessee Waltz for this round.

NOLA
04-12-2016, 10:39 AM
I'll jump on this bandwagon and vote for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. I like the song, but I don't love it as much as some of the others.

(OT: The spammers hit us hard this morning!:x)

shunlvswx
04-12-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm voting for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz again. Like I said last round. I'm surprised it lasted this long because the songs that were like this were gone early.

timfan
04-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Where I am now

L101
04-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Well it looks like The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is going this round so I'm voting for No, Thank You

jms18222
04-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Not sure whether I voted in this round but I vote Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

SoaringRockyMountainWay
04-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Cost of Living

Glennsallnighter
04-12-2016, 05:14 PM
I like BNTW so I will vote off'it don't matter to the Sun' this round.

Freypower
04-12-2016, 06:32 PM
I like BNTW so I will vote off'it don't matter to the Sun' this round.

GA, I hope Dreamer & Soda won't mind me telling you IDMTTS was voted off in the last round & I believe that means you can't vote again in this round. :cry:

sodascouts
04-12-2016, 11:43 PM
I can understand why IDMTTS got voted off. Although I am thrilled that Don included Stevie, he used her for such a small part of the song that I feel like she was wasted.

I'm sticking with my pet peeve song!

I cast my vote for The Brand New Tennessee Waltz.

Glennsallnighter
04-13-2016, 06:43 AM
GA, I hope Dreamer & Soda won't mind me telling you IDMTTS was voted off in the last round & I believe that means you can't vote again in this round. :cry:

No problem!! I thinkI misread - I have had 2 12 hour days at work this week so I havent really had a chance to digest the thread properly although I AM listening to the cd!!

Brooke
04-13-2016, 09:34 AM
I can understand why IDMTTS got voted off. Although I am thrilled that Don included Stevie, he used her for such a small part of the song that I feel like she was wasted.

I kinda feel this way about several of the songs here. If they aren't going to have any more input than they did on some of them, I don't get why they are even there.

shunlvswx
04-13-2016, 09:55 AM
I've never voted against IDMTTS. I actually like the song. I tried my best to try to put it in the game, but couldn't. Yes it was kinda strange when Stevie came out of nowhere, but I thought they sounded good when they sang together at the end.

I'm really surprised it lasted this long. This was song was the Little Engine That Could. LOL

The songs that are left are my favorites from the CD. So its going to be hard to pick them off one by one, but I have two songs in mind that I hope goes to the finals. The way the game is, my top two songs that I want to go to the finals might not make it.

Jonny Come Lately
04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Shun, I pretty much agree with you about the rest of this song - assuming Tennessee Waltz goes this round (if it does go then I'm sure Soda will be liter... erm, I mean, figuratively waltzing on air to see the back of its lexical foibles), then I like all of the remaining songs a lot, so the game kind of changes for me. I know which song I want to win, and I have one in mind that I will vote for in the next round (unless my vote is tactically needed elsewhere), but apart from that I'm not quite sure what will happen.

Both of the Target-exclusive songs have done pretty well, even though Here Come Those Tears Again is definitely my favourite of the two, they both made it well into the game and past some songs that I probably expected to be more popular. Unfortunately for IDMTTS, The Little Engine That Could, I've always liked bigger engines better! :lol:

04-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Well - It looks like this round is settled, so I'll vote strategically to try to even the score a bit ...

I cast my vote for Take a Picture of This.

04-13-2016, 08:01 PM
The next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is The Brand New Tennessee Waltz. “The Brand New Tennessee Waltz”, the tribe has spoken. You must leave in a hurry, so, have all of your passionate violins play a farewell tune for the Tennessee kid. Leaving the island must feel like leaving another town with no place to go when you did.

Votes
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – 9
The Cost of Living – 2
Where I Am Now – 2
Take a Picture of This – 2
No, Thank You – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – scottside
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – AlreadyGone95
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – Jonny Come Lately
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – maryc2130
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – FWIW
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – NOLA
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – shunlvswx
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – jms18222
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz – sodascouts
The Cost of Living– Freypower
The Cost of Living – SoaringRockyMountainWay
Where I Am Now – ktdids
Where I Am Now – timfan
Take a Picture of This – DivineDon
Take a Picture of This – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Too Much Pride 3/28
Praying for Rain 3/30
Bramble Rose 4/01
Too Far Gone 4/05
Waiting Tables 4/07
A Younger Man 4/09
The Brand New Tennessee Waltz 4/13

Songs remaining:
The Cost of Living
No, Thank You
Take a Picture of This
That Old Flame
Train in the Distance
Where I Am Now

Voting for Round Twelve begins now.

Freypower
04-13-2016, 08:08 PM
I see SRMW has joined me in voting for The Cost Of Living so I vote for it again.