PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Mountains, CA 05/22/16

sodascouts
05-23-2016, 02:10 AM
Back from the show - or, as Tim called it, the "showette."

It took place in the lovely Santa Monica Mountains - the King Gillette Ranch which is part of the national park recreational area. Indeed, the fundraiser was for that very park.

We saw Tim and Jean before the show. They were honoring a congressman and there were several speeches, a couple of which went on longer than was planned, but we still got our share of Timothy. Chris Farmer and Hank Linderman were a part of the band, and Donna De Lory both opened and provided backing vocals. He played:

Keep on Tryin'
One More Mile
Friday Night
I Can't Tell You Why
Good Day

Short but sweet. They wanted to get done before sunset, and they did. You could tell he was a bit rusty, but the show was good. He did mention the Eagles, calling them "the band he was in" - past tense - snd talked about how much they loved ICTYW, but otherwise didn't speak of them.

Afterwards, we got to meet Timothy! He was standing off to the side and I approached him with my CD and politely asked him to autograph it, which he did. He was very sweet. I couldn't work up the nerve to ask him for a photograph, but the autograph will work just fine! Dreamer and HB weren't with me, so I told him to wait for my two friends who were also big fans. He was kind enough to do so.

Dreamer found out from him that he was almost finished with another album, and HB got him to say that he hoped to mount a large tour which included the South soon! We're all hoping!

Overall, despite how short the show was, it was very special. I grabbed a copy of the setlist but the real treasure was meeting Timothy and getting his autograph. Good times!

LuvTim
05-23-2016, 02:19 AM
Omg, I'm so glad to read all of this. I'm happy for all of you that you got to meet Timothy- what a thrill! And a personal confirmation on the new album and talk of a tour! :faint:

Thank you so much for describing the evening's festivities, Soda. He played some terrific songs!

I'm going to try to sleep, now, if I can! :-) Sigh....

zeldabjr
05-23-2016, 03:13 AM
So glad you girls had a wonderful time..and got to meet Timothy...

Glennsallnighter
05-23-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm so delighted that you had such a brilliant time, and what wonderful news from Timothy about his upcoming album and his mini tour. Sounds like an idyllic setting too! Well done!!

Prettymaid
05-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Yay! Good going!

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Back from the show - or, as Tim called it, the "showette."

It took place in the lovely Santa Monica Mountains - the King Gillette Ranch which is part of the national park recreational area. Indeed, the fundraiser was for that very park.

We saw Tim and Jean before the show. They were honoring a congressman and there were several speeches, a couple of which went on longer than was planned, but we still got our share of Timothy. Chris Farmer and Hank Linderman were a part of the band, and Donna De Lory both opened and provided backing vocals. He played:

Keep on Tryin'
One More Mile
Friday Night
I Can't Tell You Why
Good Day

Short but sweet. They wanted to get done before sunset, and they did. You could tell he was a bit rusty, but the show was good. He did mention the Eagles, calling them "the band he was in" - past tense - snd talked about how much they loved ICTYW, but otherwise didn't speak of them.

Afterwards, we got to meet Timothy! He was standing off to the side and I approached him with my CD and politely asked him to autograph it, which he did. He was very sweet. I couldn't work up the nerve to ask him for a photograph, but the autograph will work just fine! Dreamer and HB weren't with me, so I told him to wait for my two friends who were also big fans. He was kind enough to do so.

Dreamer found out from him that he was almost finished with another album, and HB got him to say that he hoped to mount a large tour which included the South soon! We're all hoping!

Overall, despite how short the show was, it was very special. I grabbed a copy of the setlist but the real treasure was meeting Timothy and getting his autograph. Good times!

If Timothy comes to Memphis. Heck if he came to Mississippi(which I doubt it, I will be there.

I'm glad you guys had fun. Too bad Don hasn't started his tour yet. It would had seen all three.

buffyfan145
05-23-2016, 10:09 AM
That's so great you all got to meet Timothy!!! :D It sounds like it was wonderful and I'm excited about his hopeful new tour too as well as the new album!!! :D

NightMistBlue
05-23-2016, 10:17 AM
I knew she would meet him, she's lucky that way. :)

Soda, about how tall is Timothy? Sorry if that's a weird question, I'm always curious (in both senses of the word!).

sodascouts
05-23-2016, 10:38 AM
NMB, Tim is 5'10" at most, I think - maybe a little less.

shunlvswx
05-23-2016, 10:42 AM
I bet Timothy was a sweetheart.

MaryCalifornia
05-23-2016, 12:19 PM
All wonderful news, Soda!!!! Good job!! I'll bet it was such a beautiful setting. Did you see Ben?

Brooke
05-23-2016, 12:19 PM
Soda, you amaze me, but I knew you would, somehow, meet Timothy when you were going to see him! How awesome! If only you'd have gotten your pic with him! You would have one with all of the current Eagles then, right? :cool:

(I know, they aren't current anymore. :sad:)

Gemini
05-23-2016, 05:56 PM
This is so exciting! A Timothy encounter is rare for sure and I'm so glad you shared details! (and got first hand confirmation of new music coming!) If you're willing to answer a few questions ...
Did he wear something you had seen him wear before ... familiar flannel or vest?
Was there a raised stage?
Was it a milling around thing or was there seating?

Hey LuvTim ... they did it and they didn't touch his hair or faint! Maybe there's hope for us someday too!

WKMB55
05-23-2016, 07:47 PM
MC, Ben was there. A friend of mine from Ohio was in CA to see her son graduate from Cal State University Fulerton and stayed for the "showette". She saw Jean and Ben there.

LuvTim
05-23-2016, 07:52 PM
This is so exciting! A Timothy encounter is rare for sure and I'm so glad you shared details! (and got first hand confirmation of new music coming!) If you're willing to answer a few questions ...
Did he wear something you had seen him wear before ... familiar flannel or vest?

Hey LuvTim ... they did it and they didn't touch his hair or faint! Maybe there's hope for us someday too!

Hope springs eternal, Gemini!! :-D

WKMB55
05-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Gemini according to my friend who was there, he was wearing a black sport coat, black tee and blue jeans. Also a silver hoop earring and what she described as "one of his beautiful custom made guitar straps"

Gemini
05-23-2016, 08:12 PM
Gemini according to my friend who was there, he was wearing a black sport coat, black tee and blue jeans. Also a silver hoop earring and what she described as "one of his beautiful custom made guitar straps"

Thanks for the info!

MaryCalifornia
05-23-2016, 08:58 PM
MC, Ben was there. A friend of mine from Ohio was in CA to see her son graduate from Cal State University Fulerton and stayed for the "showette". She saw Jean and Ben there.

Yes, I know he was there, just asking Soda if she saw him!

klmeps
05-23-2016, 11:15 PM
I'm so glad you guys got to meet Timothy. He is a sweetheart isn't he! And Nancy, I think you are being very generous with the 5'10" :) I think he's about 5' 8".

Karen

klmeps
05-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Did any of you take photos?

sodascouts
05-24-2016, 12:40 AM

I think the clothing question got answered but there was a tiny slightly raised stage. I'll upload the three photos I took when I get access to a better computer - I'm working from my phone now.

There were long tables where people could eat and about three short rows of chairs in front of the stage. Weirdly, most people wanted to sit at the tables. We walked right up to the first row and it never completely filled! Many of these conservationists don't know what a privilege it is to have Timothy B. Schmit perform at one's event, obviously!

There was a lot of milling about before and after. Tim only came out briefly before the show to Jean who was at one of the tables. I guess Ben was with her but I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know what Ben looks like nowadays. If I saw him, I didn't recognize him.

After the show Tim hung around for about 15 minutes or so chatting before he left - thank goodness! That's when I got him.

If I had gotten a photo with him, it would have completed the "final four" as I have photos with Glenn, Don, and Joe. However, his autograph is still very very special and I don't have to worry about looking fat. ;)

Gemini
05-24-2016, 12:56 AM
Thanks, Soda! Especially for doing this from your phone. Funny about the front row. Wonder what those folks would think if they knew how close I came to flying out from Florida for that "showette"! Safe travels.

NightMistBlue
05-24-2016, 09:33 AM
There are some lovely photos on the Eagles Fastlane FB page in case ya'll didn't see them

I would definitely be tempted to touch his hair. :shy:

Brooke
05-24-2016, 01:30 PM
NMB.....you silly girl! :rofl:

shunlvswx
05-24-2016, 01:55 PM
I saw pictures from the event. Timothy looks great. Its just good to see him since February. I'm glad all the guys are keeping busy.

Did they not know who he is? Shame on them for not taking the front row, but it worked in you guys advantage.

I'm looking forward to Timothy's new album and possible tour.

LuvTim
05-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Well, I guess everybody here knows that I would definitely have been in the front row. Lol...
I went to look at the facebook photos, and they were great to see. 💖
And, hey, didn't Hank look good?
Thanks in advance for any photos that get posted here. Can't wait to see them!

sodascouts
05-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Setlist, photos, and autograph!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/schmitsetlist2016-05-22.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/schmitshow1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/schmitshow2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/schmitshow4.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/schmitshow3.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/la2016/schmitautograph.jpg

LuvTim
05-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Awww, so wonderful... :inlove:

Thank you for sharing these.

MaryCalifornia
05-26-2016, 11:56 PM
So cool, Soda! Thank you! What a beautiful setting for TBS music! You were just right there in front of him - so funny. It's such a drastic difference from when he's with the Eagles, with all of the security etc...he really switches between Eagles mode and Timothy mode.

What did you think of Donna DeLory?

You would have noticed Ben because he was probably the only one there with face, neck and hand tattoos :hilarious: Well, it's LA, who knows, maybe there were a lot of people with those.

sodascouts
05-27-2016, 12:53 AM
Donna DeLory only got to sing a couple songs because the speeches went on longer than planned, but I liked what I heard. She also sounded great with Timothy. I chatted with her a bit; she seemed nice.

I hate to think that I am so unobservant that I missed a guy covered in tattoos (although it's not beyond the realm of possibility). Dreamer? HB? Do you remember seeing him? Maybe he wasn't out there the whole time... or maybe I'm just clueless!

Houston Baby
05-27-2016, 05:49 AM
I'm sorry to say that I didn't notice Ben either. I was too excited waiting for Timothy. Heck I didn't notice Jean until Dreamer pointed her out to me. And once Timothy came out I didn't take my eyes off him! :grin:

Brooke
05-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Great pictures! Another cool Eagle sighting/meeting for you guys! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Ive always been a dreamer
05-28-2016, 03:46 PM
I was thrilled about my first opportunity to meet and speak to Timothy. Even though I had gone to a couple of shows on his Expando tour, I was never able to talk to him. I had talked to some of the band members at those shows, including Hank. Before the show last Sunday, I was sitting in the front row holding our seats and Hank was standing right in front of me. However, there was a constant flow of people coming up talking to him, so I never got a chance to say 'hello' to him. From the conversations he was having, I got the impression that he may be involved with the Santa Monica Mountains organization, but that's only a guess on my part. I also spotted the setlist taped to the stage, but I was too embarrassed to go up and get a sneak peak.

After Soda or HB returned to protect our seats, I went over to look at the donations that were in the silent auction. I figured Tim may have donated something, but I didn't spot anything. While I was over there, I spotted Jean walking by. She went over and sat at a table by herself, but within a couple minutes, there were some other folks that joined her, none of whom I recognized. I don't think I've seen a picture of Ben within the last five years or so, so I'm not surprised that I didn't recognize him. When I returned to my seat, I pointed Jean out to HB. She then went over and checked out the silent auction and spotted a signed Eagles Farewell I tour book that I had totally missed - talk about being off your game! WOW! In any event, some guy wanted it pretty badly cause he actually bid $50 more than the 'buy it now' price. At one point, I saw Timothy come out briefly before the program started and say a few words to Jean. I pointed him out to Soda, but HB wasn't around at the time.

As Soda mentioned, they were running behind because of some long-winded speakers, so Donna only sang two songs. I have to say I was impressed by her lovely voice, but if anything had to be cut, I'm sure glad it wasn't Timothy's set. She also joined Timothy for back up harmonies on Friday Night, which I was glad about. I was thrilled that Soda spotted Timothy and we got a few moments with him after the show. I thanked him profusely for the autograph and asked him how the new album was coming along. His exact words: "It's almost done." As I parted, I actually reached out and gave him a big hug, which he was sweet enough to reciprocate! And now, a picture of my treasured memento from the evening ...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/TBS%20Autograph_zps1hkgwuk1.png (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kay8342/media/TBS%20Autograph_zps1hkgwuk1.png.html)

Prettymaid
05-28-2016, 06:57 PM
You guys rock!

Brooke
05-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Dreamer, congrats on your hug from Timothy and the autograph! Thanks for filling us in!

And I'll second pm's "you guys rock"! :thumbsup:

Gemini
05-31-2016, 09:33 PM
Thanks so much to all three of you for sharing your experiences and your pictures from the "showette"! A hug ... OMG! Dreamer ... I can't believe you didn't want to sneak a peak at the set list and ended up with that hug!:faint:

sodascouts
05-31-2016, 10:40 PM
I think Timothy could tell Dreamer (and the rest of us) were the real deal. We rocked out to everything, including the Expando tunes! Timothy even said something to that effect when I presented him with my Expando CD to sign. He said something like "I can tell you're a big fan if you own this. Not many people do."

He also asked me how to spell Nancy because the first Nancy he knew, he said, spelled it "N-A-N-C-E-Y."

(I'm just putting that factoid here so I don't forget it in years to come lol)

GlennLover
06-01-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm so glad you three had that experience & actually got to meet Timothy!

NightMistBlue
06-01-2016, 07:42 AM
And you got to hug Timothy - sweet!

Nancy, he was looking right at you in the second pic :faint:

Houston Baby
08-01-2016, 07:28 PM
I forgot to post my experience meeting Timothy at the Santa Monica Mountains Fund event in May. I am glad I wrote it down that night though I still remember it well. What a wonderful time especially since it was a small crowd & we got to sit on the front row right in front of the stage. Soda posted about the event so I am just concentrating on my Timothy meeting.

The showette has ended and I am still sitting on the front row watching our purchases and purses when Soda races up & shows me her signed CD & says Timothy is still back there & she told him that she has 2 friends that would like their CDs signed. So I grab the Sharpie & my “Expando” cd & Kay’s cd as she is still gone & take off. I get to where Timothy is standing & there are 2 rows of people in a semi-circle around him. I stand in the back looking thru the people & am praying that he doesn’t leave before I get to him. I am not standing there 5 seconds before he looks my way & motions me to come around. I freeze staring at him & he smiles that brilliant smile of his, nods his head at me & motions again to come around. I follow his motion & walk around to his right side. People around him are talking & asking questions & Timothy turns to me & leans down (I’m short) & says “Hi”. I politely & excitedly tell him that I have his cd & would he please sign it. “Of course” he says as he takes the cd. Then he smiles & tells me that “we need to get the cover out, it works better that way”. He is kinda laughing as he says it works better. Oh gosh, I was SO embarrassed :blush: as he takes the cover out. However it is not a mean “making fun of me” laugh, it is a sweet, caring chuckle. I ask if he can sign it to Debbie & he says “sure, is it bbie” and I say yes. I hand him the next cd & ask him to sign it to Kay, no e as he hands back my cover. He tells me “to be careful, it needs to dry, try not to touch it yet”. While he is signing Kay’s, I ask him if he plans to come to Texas anytime soon that I sure would love to see him in Houston. He tells me “yes, I plan to when my new album comes out, should be soon”. I thanked him profusely & he thanked me for coming out.
He was so sweet & patient especially when I was not prepared. And I have to admit I felt special since he stopped talking to the other people and concentrated on me for those couple of minutes. What a sweetheart! :inlove:

GlennLover
08-01-2016, 08:51 PM
That's wonderful, HB! So happy for you.

Gemini
08-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Such a cool experience!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I forgot to post my experience meeting Timothy at the Santa Monica Mountains Fund event in May. I am glad I wrote it down that night though I still remember it well. What a wonderful time especially since it was a small crowd & we got to sit on the front row right in front of the stage. Soda posted about the event so I am just concentrating on my Timothy meeting.

The showette has ended and I am still sitting on the front row watching our purchases and purses when Soda races up & shows me her signed CD & says Timothy is still back there & she told him that she has 2 friends that would like their CDs signed. So I grab the Sharpie & my “Expando” cd & Kay’s cd as she is still gone & take off. I get to where Timothy is standing & there are 2 rows of people in a semi-circle around him. I stand in the back looking thru the people & am praying that he doesn’t leave before I get to him. I am not standing there 5 seconds before he looks my way & motions me to come around. I freeze staring at him & he smiles that brilliant smile of his, nods his head at me & motions again to come around. I follow his motion & walk around to his right side. People around him are talking & asking questions & Timothy turns to me & leans down (I’m short) & says “Hi”. I politely & excitedly tell him that I have his cd & would he please sign it. “Of course” he says as he takes the cd. Then he smiles & tells me that “we need to get the cover out, it works better that way”. He is kinda laughing as he says it works better. Oh gosh, I was SO embarrassed :blush: as he takes the cover out. However it is not a mean “making fun of me” laugh, it is a sweet, caring chuckle. I ask if he can sign it to Debbie & he says “sure, is it bbie” and I say yes. I hand him the next cd & ask him to sign it to Kay, no e as he hands back my cover. He tells me “to be careful, it needs to dry, try not to touch it yet”. While he is signing Kay’s, I ask him if he plans to come to Texas anytime soon that I sure would love to see him in Houston. He tells me “yes, I plan to when my new album comes out, should be soon”. I thanked him profusely & he thanked me for coming out.
He was so sweet & patient especially when I was not prepared. And I have to admit I felt special since he stopped talking to the other people and concentrated on me for those couple of minutes. What a sweetheart! :inlove:

And this is one girl that is very grateful to you and Soda for having my back. I am so thankful I got back in time to go over and thank him just as he was leaving. He is, indeed, a sweetheart!

Houston Baby
08-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Soda & I will always have your back Dreamer! Besides, you had the car keys & was our ride back to Laurel Canyon! :wink:

MaryCalifornia
08-02-2016, 01:55 AM
Wow, HB, thanks for coming back to post!!! That's so awesome!! He could tell you were a real fan!! (I'm sure all of those others are too, though :) )

Brooke
08-02-2016, 09:46 AM
HB, that's just awesome! So happy for you! And that Timothy is just a sweetie!

LuvTim
08-02-2016, 09:48 AM
HB, I think I have recovered enough from my overt jealousy to offer my congratulations on such a lovely and intimate encounter with my soul mate. ;-)

buffyfan145
08-02-2016, 09:56 AM
HB that is so awesome and Timothy is so sweet!!! :D

Houston Baby
08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
He was just so darn sweet to me! I will never forget the short conversation & his beautiful smile & chuckle. Timothy truly has a gentle soul.

I am hoping he will do a meet & greet on his tour & everyone could experience his kindness. That would be wonderful!

NightMistBlue
08-02-2016, 11:19 AM
That is so lovely, Houston Baby! The people who were surrounding Tim when you went over, were they like friends of his, is that why he beckoned you closer? I hope my question makes sense.

Also, I'm jealous that you guys stayed in Laurel Canyon :)

Houston Baby
08-02-2016, 11:47 AM
The people around Timothy were the ones in the audience (donors) and some of them may have been friends or neighbors since I think he lives somewhere in the Santa Monica Mountains. Also his wife was sitting at a table with several people whom she seemed to know.

Yes, staying in Laurel Canyon was amazing! That was one of my favorite parts of the trip just staying where so much wonderful music was created and where Glenn & Don had once lived. :-)

NightMistBlue
08-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Were ya'll at a hotel or at someone's home? I'm visiting L.A. next week and going to stay at a B&B. The hotels are pricey and the ones that aren't are kinda scuzzy :)

Houston Baby
08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
That is so lovely, Houston Baby! The people who were surrounding Tim when you went over, were they like friends of his, is that why he beckoned you closer? I hope my question makes sense.

Also, I'm jealous that you guys stayed in Laurel Canyon :)

And to answer "the beckoned me over" question, I believe he was watching out for the friends of Soda since she mentioned to him that there were 2 other fans of his there that she would send over. :)

FWIW
08-02-2016, 12:10 PM
I am hoping he will do a meet & greet on his tour & everyone could experience his kindness. That would be wonderful!
Thanks for sharing your story! It gave us all a chance to "experience" Timothy's kindness :)

Houston Baby
08-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Were ya'll at a hotel or at someone's home? I'm visiting L.A. next week and going to stay at a B&B. The hotels are pricey and the ones that aren't are kinda scuzzy :)

We stayed in a guest house in Laurel Canyon that I found on VRBO. It was very nice. I will pm you.

NightMistBlue
08-02-2016, 01:04 PM
And to answer "the beckoned me over" question, I believe he was watching out for the friends of Soda since she mentioned to him that there were 2 other fans of his there that she would send over. :)

Ahh, OK. :cheers: