PDA

View Full Version : Don's upcoming setlist

Philh
06-17-2016, 08:36 AM
With Don' tour only a few days away, what songs would you like to see included?
Don mentioned in a recent radio interview he would be doing at least 2 songs
He hasn't done live before.
Some I would like are The Last Resort, A Month Of Sundays and On The Border.

UndertheWire
06-17-2016, 10:31 AM
There's a BBC DJ who asks Don about The Last Resort whenever he interviews Don and Don implies that it needs an orchestra which makes it an unlikely choice.

Philh
06-17-2016, 10:45 AM
That would be Simon Mayo who is a fan. Don did say he would consider doing
The Last Resort but I'll be happy with anything!

sodascouts
06-17-2016, 11:26 AM
I like that he's planning on including a couple of songs he's never played before - it will make the show more worth seeing if it won't be the same old, same old.

My favorite songs of Don's that he hasn't played live (to my knowledge) are:

Long Way Home
Annabel
Nobody's Business
Through Your Hands (talk about a longshot; this is a soundtrack song)

You Don't Know Me at All (he actually played this live once but it deserves more than that - it is HOT)
A Month of Sundays (see above)

And since I'm going to the NYE show, I REALLY want him to do "Funky New Year"! Again, it's been played live before, but only a few times!

Funk 50
06-17-2016, 11:57 AM
You Don't Know Me at All is a great shout. Up tempo rocker that's comfortably in my Henley top five.

The last time I saw Don in 1989, I was very disappointed to only hear Dirty Laundry from his first album.I really loved that album and still do.

I like Cass County but I'd like his show to be a bit more rockin' than most of that. Something from Long Road Out Of Eden, particularly something so far un-played would be a treat too, particularly Center Of The Universe or Fast Company.

I wonder if he'll have something special as a tribute to Glenn. David Gray's brilliant, Nemesis would cause a ripple of intrigue. His, Disappearing World, which Don has covered in the past, could sub for The Last Resort.

Jonny Come Lately
06-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Philh, thanks for creating this topic. I am excited to see what he chooses to play, especially as he’s promised a couple of surprises! Of the three you mention, I would be absolutely delighted to hear both The Last Resort (my nominal favourite from HC, and that’s saying something!) and A Month Of Sundays (my favourite from BTPB after Boys Of Summer). On The Border would be interesting, but I can’t help but think that one would have been better suited to an Eagles show rather than Henley solo. I don’t mind if The Last Resort does not have an orchestra, I still think that the song would work without one, my two cents is that the great lyrics will shine regardless of the arrangement.

With the Cass County songs, I really want him to play Train In The Distance above all others. I’d be interested to know from those who went to his shows last autumn how the new songs seemed to go down with the audiences as a whole. Were there any songs that ‘bombed’ live, or any that people really loved? Just curious to know, as this might influence which songs he plays.

Personally, I would rather he did not play that many covers aside from Seven Bridges Road (which I would love) and the covers he did on Cass County – I’d absolutely love to hear him sing Here Come Those Tears Again, and even the covers I’m less keen on I’d still be fine with their inclusion. Beyond that, I feel that each cover song will take up a place that could be taken up by an original song of his. This was less of a big deal when he wasn't playing Eagles songs but I would far rather hear him play more of his own solo tracks than other people's songs. Simply put, I think Don is a great singer, but he is also a great songwriter! I am aware that he has played Mark Knopfler songs in the past, which I would probably enjoy hearing, so I’ll keep an open mind.

I wonder if he'll have something special as a tribute to Glenn. David Gray's brilliant, Nemesis would cause a ripple of intrigue. His, Disappearing World, which Don has covered in the past, could sub for The Last Resort.

Really? I am surprised an Eagles fan would suggest a song called Nemesis as a possible Glenn tribute. I read through the song lyrics and I just don’t see how Don could relate to those lyrics to his relationship with Glenn. I would personally be extremely disappointed if he dedicated a song called Nemesis which he didn’t write himself to him. I would find it far from ‘intriguing’, I’d find it rude and disrespectful. Even if Glenn is not everyone’s favourite band member, he was the only band member along with Don who was there for the whole ride and he really does deserve a little respect.

I am sure I have nothing to worry about, as I am certain if he does choose to dedicate a song to Glenn he will choose something appropriate. I personally feel The Sad Café would be an excellent choice – the story of such an important stage of their lives together is told through the lyrics of that song and it would be a lovely heartfelt tribute. I also think it would be great to acknowledge the Troubadour as they did a lovely Glenn tribute sign back in January. Although I know the Eagles played it during on tour in The Long Run era, I feel it would be a very nice surprise.

thelastresort
06-17-2016, 04:10 PM
If he plays The Last Resort I honestly don't care what the other 15-18 songs are ;)

In all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if he did play it, it's probably the most obvious Eagles deep cut he could go for and would certainly be popular enough. I would also welcome The Sad Cafe but suspect that's a no no as to the best of my knowledge his backing band doesn't have a saxophonist, which is kinda essential. Center of the Universe ain't a bad shout either, wouldn't be keen on Fast Company however, a definite low of LROOE. Is it too much to hope for the title track of the aforementioned album? :D

As for CC, the only two I really want to hear are No, Thank You (a dead cert IMO) and Praying for Rain (not so confident)...

L101
06-17-2016, 04:51 PM
As long as Don plays a good chunk of his old songs then I'm happy especially 'You must not be drinking enough' and 'Long way home'.

I would also love for him to play 'Lilah' and 'La Eile' when he's in Ireland!!

And the CC songs that I want to hear live - 'The cost of living' and 'A younger man' - I don't really want him singing duets with others, I just want to hear Don all by himself :grin:

I hope he doesn't sing 'Praying for rain' - I don't really like that song and we have had enough rain here lately to last a while!! ;-)

sodascouts
06-17-2016, 05:55 PM
I hope, like Joe, he does a tribute to Glenn. I too am sure he would choose something entirely appropriate if he did so.

DivineDon
06-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Would he sing 'It's your world now' as a tribute to Glenn or would that be too close to the bone? Probably he'll end the show by dedicating 'Desperado' to him and there won't be a dry eye in the place.

Personally, 'Long way home' is one of my favourite solo songs ever but I too would also like 'Lilah' or 'The last resort'. I have a feeling he might sing the latter as it has been brought up in interviews.

I mentioned to Lacken that if Don sings 'A Younger Man' I'll either faint or throw myself up on the stage! :-D

Can't quite believe it's nearly upon us - soooo excited! !!!

Freypower
06-17-2016, 07:57 PM
I don't see why he would play songs from LROOE which he never even played with the band.

DD, the idea of IYWN is interesting but it probably should be left alone. I think Don should sing a tribute he wrote himself.

I read the lyrics of Nemesis & concur with JCL about it. I fail to see how it is relevant to this stiuation except for the 'memory you can't get out of your head' line. Perhaps others should read it & you will see what we mean.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/davidgray/nemesis.html

JCL, he did I'm the Fool once. If he did any other MK songs I'm not aware of them.

I hope everyone enjoys the shows.

buffyfan145
06-17-2016, 08:35 PM
I'm really looking forward to finding out what songs he will do too, especially the two he's never done live. I too think he'll do a tribute for Glenn and I have a feeling it'll be "Desperado", but I'm going to cry during it no matter if he does or not since I get emotional hearing it now. But I'm just excited no matter what since it'll be my first Don show. :)

Philh
06-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Another song I would love to see Don perform is
"Learn To Be Still". I think it's a great song and very under-rated.
I'm not sure if I want to know the setlist beforehand or for it to come as a
surprise when I go to Manchester.
As others have said I hope he does a tribute to Glenn- maybe
"No More Cloudy Days" or "The Girl From Yesterday".

Funk 50
06-18-2016, 05:42 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Nemesis. For better or worse, Henley has never and will never be able to shake Glenn, even if he wanted to.

I trust Don to come up with something fitting. I don't see Glenn as a Desperado, something they simply wrote together seems just a little too obvious and ambiguous for such a special tribute imho.

When Don mentioned something special for his Irish show, I immediately thought of Paddy Moloney and Lilah. Paddy and the late, great, Derek Bell, played on La Lile and Lilah from Don's first I Can't Stand Still album.

Jonny Come Lately
06-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Philh, I have the same dilemma as you in that part of me wants to be surprised but on the flip side I'm excited to find out what he'll be playing. I'd still be very excited to find out he was unexpectedly playing a big personal favourite a few days before hand, although it would be an even bigger and more thrilling surprise on the night itself. I think I probably will check out the setlist beforehand though - I'm going with my Dad and therefore it's probably advantageous for me to know what he's playing beforehand - my Dad knows his hits, the EOTI album and a few CC songs, but isn't likely to be familiar with all the songs and it would be helpful for me to know what's coming.

I too would love it if he played Learn To Be Still, a song that has become a huge favourite with my whole family. Another one I'd love would be The Long Run, I certainly wouldn't mind it if he dedicated it to Glenn, as it would acknowledge Glenn's love of rhythm & blues and how although their relationship may have been bent at some point, it was never broken and they still came through. There are probably better candidates for a dedication than from Don's catalogue with and without the Eagles, but I feel this would be in the right spirit, as would Desperado, another song I'd absolutely love to hear him do live as I never got to experience it with the Eagles.

tlr, I agree with you about the song you take your username from! :wink: I think I'd almost die of excitement to hear those opening chords live. I also agree with you about No Thank You and Praying For The Rain, which are both in my top five from the album. Having said this, I can sympathise with L101's view about the latter song. I like the song better than you, but I agree the theme isn't so easy relate to in the notoriously damp west coast maritime climate of Northern Europe than in hot dry Texas!

FP, thanks for the info about I'm The Fool. I'm not expecting him to play any of Mark's music, although if he does choose to I can personally guarantee one very happy concertgoer!

Freypower
06-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Nemesis. For better or worse, Henley has never and will never be able to shake Glenn, even if he wanted to.

I trust Don to come up with something fitting. I don't see Glenn as a Desperado, something they simply wrote together seems just a little too obvious and ambiguous for such a special tribute imho.

When Don mentioned something special for his Irish show, I immediately thought of Paddy Moloney and Lilah. Paddy and the late, great, Derek Bell, played on La Lile and Lilah from Don's first I Can't Stand Still album.

I am struggling to understand what you mean by this.

I believe that Don Henley made it very clear in the statement he released in January that Glenn Frey changed his life & he was a better person for it. They had their highs & lows, but who didn't? Who doesn't?

I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life.

That seems pretty clear to me. I apologise for going off topic but I felt this needed to be emphasised.

Also, how would a song they wrote together be both 'obvious' and 'ambiguous'?

eagles557
06-19-2016, 08:51 PM
I sure hope Don sings The Last Resort. That would be such a treat as it is my favorite Eagles song! :)

maryc2130
06-20-2016, 08:32 AM
I sure hope Don sings The Last Resort. That would be such a treat as it is my favorite Eagles song! :)

Not my favorite but probably in my top 3. An absolutely awesome song, and I would fall over in happiness if Don sang it. I would also love to hear "Waiting in the Weeds". I did hear it once on the LROOE tour, but it was the first time I had heard the song. I fell in love with it then, and would love to hear it again now that I know it better.

I was thinking that Don could possibly do "The Sad Cafe" as a tribute to Glenn. It speaks of their roots together, and is so sad and sweet to begin with ...

NOLA
06-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Another song I would love to see Don perform is
"Learn To Be Still". I think it's a great song and very under-rated.

Agree, Phil. It's my all-time favorite Eagles' song.

Would also love to hear "Come Rain Or Come Shine." Don sang it for the MTV "Unplugged" series and at his wedding for his beautiful bride, but I don't know if he has ever performed it on tour.

Philh
06-21-2016, 02:55 AM
The setlist from last night is on L&M's Fastlane website with photos.
So pleased it includes The Last Resort!