PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley in Cork 29/06/2016

DivineDon
06-30-2016, 01:52 PM
Hi all, all I will say for now is...

WOW!!!! What a night?
When I've recovered after tomorrow night's show :) I'll give a more detailed account but it was oh so wonderful....more anon.

L101
06-30-2016, 02:36 PM
My review is WOW!! Just WOW!!! :-)

Don was just fantastic - words cannot describe how good he was!
The setlist was mostly unchanged from previous shows apart from Shangri La instead of Sunset Grill - have to say, Shangri La is brilliant live. I also loved his rendition of Everybody Wants To Rule The World and The Last Resort was just :thumbsup:

JCL - I loved the version of IDMTTS with Steuart on acoustic guitar. Although the harmonies etc were great and added to the song, if it was just Don and Steuart on acoustic, that would be close to a perfect song in my book!!

I know I'll probably add some bits as I remember them and I have some pics I took as well but right now, still thinking back and remembering 'one of these nights' :grin:

buffyfan145
06-30-2016, 04:14 PM
I'm so happy for you guys and it sounds great again!!! :D Can't wait to hear your take DD!!!

AlreadyGone95
06-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Glad that ya'll enjoyed yourselves, and I can't wait read your reviews!

Jonny Come Lately
07-03-2016, 04:22 AM
My review is WOW!! Just WOW!!! :-)

Don was just fantastic - words cannot describe how good he was!
The setlist was mostly unchanged from previous shows apart from Shangri La instead of Sunset Grill - have to say, Shangri La is brilliant live. I also loved his rendition of Everybody Wants To Rule The World and The Last Resort was just :thumbsup:

JCL - I loved the version of IDMTTS with Steuart on acoustic guitar. Although the harmonies etc were great and added to the song, if it was just Don and Steuart on acoustic, that would be close to a perfect song in my book!!

I know I'll probably add some bits as I remember them and I have some pics I took as well but right now, still thinking back and remembering 'one of these nights' :grin:

L101, so glad to hear you enjoyed the show so much! Don doesn't disappoint does he? I'm delighted to hear you loved IDMTTS too, I really like what he's done with it on this tour too - I mean, even I really enjoyed it! :hilarious:

Interesting to hear he replaced Sunset Grill with Shangri-La at this show. I must admit given the choice I would probably have gone for Sunset Grill so I was quite glad to he played it in Manchester, although I get the sense that Shangri-La sounds a lot better live than on record (I don't hate it but I'm not really a big fan either, just don't think the studio version quite 'works').

DivineDon
07-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Right - so finally I have a few minutes and the energy to try to encapsulate what a magic night I experienced in Cork last Wednesday night. Rather than review the show song for song I just thought I'd try to give a sense of the occasion, atmosphere and magic of the occasion.

First off, I need to put things in context - the entire country of Ireland is only about the same size as a small US state with a population of 4 million. For Don to do two out of six European shows in Ireland is incredible and to do two in the Republic of Ireland is even more so. I was certain that if there was another show it would have been in Belfast.

So anyway, my trip down there started off great as I met another couple on the bus also going to the show so I had a good feeling. I have to admit I was extremely excited - like a schoolkid - with the expectation of seeing Don solo for the first time. Lacken and I knew where he was staying and had lunch there but there was no sightings :( I did overhear the barman explaining that the group from the penthouse suite would be returning shortly (probably from a sound check) and would be requiring a buffet but were coming through the back way. We headed out early to the venue and met GA and Desperada (my first time meeting both) who were already there. The banter and humour among the crowd was infectious and there was a great mixture of young and old.

The Marquee is just that - a huge circus tent in a field with the main proportion of it standing room. I wasn't sure how my back and neck would hold out for the evening but Don was like an anaesthetic and I felt no pain!!!! When they let us in after queuing in good humour the four of us headed straight for the front where we got the most amazing positions dead centre in front of the microphones. All that was between us and Don was a metal barrier which was a great support.

JD and the Shots were hard going - to paraphrase Don, JD "couldn't carry a tune in an armoured car" and he seemed to go on and on. Initially I felt benevolent towards him as the music was quite good but after enduring the exact same set word for word in Dublin, I changed my mind. He's awful!! I endured him for the sake of my brilliant position. At last the lights went down, the crowd screamed and my heart almost burst when I saw that familiar silhouette that I'd recognise anywhere emerge from the shadows....

I really had to pinch myself becuse we were so close to him - if only I had longer arm!!! He was a lot slighter than I anticipated and his legs looked very slender in those tight fitting jeans :) His hands were shaking too as they launched into Seven Bridges Road but as soon as they finished and he accepted the tremendous applause, I could see him visibly relaxing. He had the crowd in his palm from the very start. They absolutely ADORED him and he knew it too - he never stopped smiling throughout the whole show. Beads of sweat bubbled off of him and a little tendril of hair kept falling onto his brow. As he wiped it off I caught GA and Desperada's eyes and they just knew I was having a minor heart attack - oh, to have been that towel!!!! Lol

His first lines were "Hello, me darlings" in a mock Irish accent and he said it was lovely to be in Cork that it's such a beautiful, beautiful place. We were wondering whether he flew into Dublin and then drove down to Cork (about 2-3 hours) which would have given him time to admire the scenary but however...

The Marquee holds about 5-6 thousand, most of which were standing and it was buzzing. There were stages throughout the night when I thought the roof would lift. I felt that true Eagles/Don fans were just so grateful that he had included such a small arena on his tour that they wanted to show him the love and they did!!! They knew and sang every word of every song, including Cass County and I think Don was taken aback at that. He said we were in great singing voice "and I love that". After they sang HC with him, he said "brilliant!" and because I was completely transfixed on him (I'm sure there were others in the band but I only saw him :) lol) I'm sure I saw him mutter to himself "God Bless, Ireland" which was wonderful.

Like I said he was really sweating and said that he was surprised at the heat 'cos Ireland is supposed to be cold -I was sweating but it wasn't from the weather ;). So imagine my surprise when he returned after the mini-interval wearing a green checked shirt with full length sleeves - he must have been roasting in it. The crowd immediately recognised that it was his way of acknowledging Ireland and they took him to their hearts even more. His banter, his delivery, his brilliance completely charmed everyone and he got a fabulous review in the local paper.

I was so proud to be a fan of Don that night and of HIM - he was truly magificent and it's one that I and all of us will remember for a long time. People on social media are still talking about how special it was. GA has mentioned that out of the 3 shows she attended Cork was the best and both Lacken and I agree that he surpassed Dublin by a mile. I just hope it means Don will return to us again some time soon because he gave it his all...and then some. :heart::heart::heart:
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

AlreadyGone95
07-03-2016, 11:29 AM
I loved reading your review, DD. I'm glad that Don didn't disappoint at all. You must have been on cloud 9 for quite some time. ( maybe you're still on it :) ).

maryc2130
07-03-2016, 04:04 PM
GREAT review, DD. It sounds like a perfect night. All these reviews have me impatiently awaiting the Boston show!

sodascouts
07-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Thanks for this review. This shows sounds incredible. Getting to stand so close as well! How exciting! And Don so relaxed. Wonderful!

WalshFan88
07-03-2016, 10:16 PM
JD and the Shots were hard going - to paraphrase Don, JD "couldn't carry a tune in an armoured car" and he seemed to go on and on. Initially I felt benevolent towards him as the music was quite good but after enduring the exact same set word for word in Dublin, I changed my mind. He's awful!! I endured him for the sake of my brilliant position. At last the lights went down, the crowd screamed and my heart almost burst when I saw that familiar silhouette that I'd recognise anywhere emerge from the shadows....

If Don thinks he sucks then WHY does he have HIM open for him and the Eagles so much? I agree with Don, but jeez give some of the GOOD talent a chance open for you than just pleasing a millionaire for whatever favors. I HATE James Dolan lol.

shunlvswx
07-03-2016, 10:28 PM
I'm hoping I don't have to deal with JD & The Straight Shots in Memphis. I don't think he's going to be the opening act for that show. ON Ticketmaster, they have the show where he's going to be there. So I'm crossing my fingers.

DivineDon
07-04-2016, 03:57 AM
If Don thinks he sucks then WHY does he have HIM open for him and the Eagles so much? I agree with Don, but jeez give some of the GOOD talent a chance open for you than just pleasing a millionaire for whatever favors. I HATE James Dolan lol.

I paraphrased Don's quote about David Geffen not been able to 'carry a tune in an armoured car' and used it to express MY opinion on JD. Don has never commented on JD but I take your point. He deserves a support act of much better quality.

buffyfan145
07-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Loved your review too DD and I'm so excited to see him in next month!!! :D

Ive always been a dreamer
07-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Wonderful review, DD. Your love for Don just shines through in only a way that it can from a devoted fan. I'm so glad everyone loved the show. And I'm sure PDW will be rearing it's ugly head for some of you within the coming days.

DivineDon
07-05-2016, 03:51 AM
PDW kicked in Sunday night :'(

Glennsallnighter
07-05-2016, 04:32 PM
I bet. It even kicked in a bit for me!! But OMG THREE fantastic shows in one week. Superamazing!!

Brooke
07-05-2016, 04:46 PM
DD, awesome review! I'm so glad Don was in top form and gave you a wonderful evening to always remember!

Have to say I agree with Austin about JD. Really, he could have some up and coming band/musician open rather than a rich guy that doesn't need it!

Glennsallnighter
07-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Well DD has done a very comprehensive review of the Cork show so theres no need for me to go back over it again, suffice to give just a few personal points.

Firstly it was very much on the spur of the moment, and the backfoot from the Glasgow show that I decided to go - I called Desperada on the Monday as she HAD suggested previously that we go and she was more than willing to be my partner in crime!! We had standing tickets and I really wasn't thinking we would be near the front as we only left Dublin at lunchtime, but when we got to Cork and parked the car we were one of the first in line!! We hooked up with DD and L101 shortly after arriving, and I must say both, but particularly DD were lke kids at Christmas waiting for Santa!! A small bonus, Desperada and I were interviewed briefly on Corks local radio who were promoting the event. Once in we GRABBED the front centre of the rail!!

By the time JD was finished DD was actually pinching herself to make sure that this was real. In so many ways she reminded me of myself that night in Niagara Falls 5 years ago when I was waiting to see my first ever Glenn :heart: solo show. I was so pleased and so excited for her.

Anyway I have to say, Don was magnificent. He was funny, exuberent, talkative, gracious, and obviously an amazing singer. I really think this was the best of the 3 shows I was at. The audience took to him from the start and he responded likewise to them. As DD said, he snag Shangri-La which he hadn't sung in Glasgow too.

Towards the end of the show, after HC Don thanked the audience. He said it had been a difficult few months for the band and thanked the fans for the loyalty and support. He said that they had received messages of sympathy from Ireland. Then he said 'This is for Glenn' and started singing Desperado. That comment made my night. I wanted to hear it. You could hear the pure emotion in his voice as he said it.

sodascouts
07-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for giving your thoughts, GA. I'm so glad you decided to go!

Brooke
07-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Ga, thanks for your comments too! Sounds like a wonderful time for all of you girls! Don's mention of Glenn seemed very heartfelt too. Glad you decided to go.

FWIW
07-07-2016, 12:53 PM
I love your review DD. With your amazing detail, I feel like I attended the show, too :)

Just a few more weeks until I get to see Don in Berkeley. I can't wait!

DivineDon
07-07-2016, 01:04 PM
By the time JD was finished DD was actually pinching herself to make sure that this was real. In so many ways she reminded me of myself that night in Niagara Falls 5 years ago when I was waiting to see my first ever Glenn :heart: solo show. I was so pleased and so excited for her.

Thanks! And here was I thinking I'd acted all cool and composed! :hilarious:

....and Santa never brought me what I wanted :sad: but I still live in hope....

Save

Brooke
07-07-2016, 04:29 PM
That so describes me back in 2002 when I saw the Eagles for the first time since 1976 and sat in the third row. A dream come true!

L101
07-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks! And here was I thinking I'd acted all cool and composed! :hilarious:

Save

I must have acted all cool and composed so - even though my legs were about to give way when Don walked onto the stage :grin:
Ohhh I wish I could go back to last week and relive it all again !! :partytime: