PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley in Dublin - July 1, 2016

L101
07-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Well, that's the end of my Don mini trip for a while !!

Even though Don seemed aware that the audience in Dublin were not as enthusiastic as the Cork audience , he rocked the night away!! The show had some sound/lighting issues at the start and Don seemed to be a bit off, but he soon got into it and got the audience on their feet!! He looked really well and had shaved his beard/stubble off!!

I don't think it could have topped the show in Cork as that was just amazing given the more relaxed atmosphere(6000 in Cork compared to 14,000 in Dublin).

As soon as Don changed into his now famous green plaid shirt, the show came to life. Don had the guitar for The Last Resort but he didn't really play it - I think it was more of a prop to calm his nerves as he didn't use it in Cork. We sat there at the start willing the audience to love him and they did - I don't think Cass County was as well known in Dublin, only the hardcore fans seemed to know the songs - DD can correct me if I'm wrong here.

I have to say that Steuart was brilliant as usual but I'm totally loving Chris Holt!! His playing against Steuart and on his solo bits was just fantastic and I loved watching him - Don picked a good one there!!

All in all, it was brilliant and I'm now suffering from Don withdrawal symptoms, think I have to start saving for more Don shows :grin:

sodascouts
07-02-2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the write up! Sounds fantastic!

shunlvswx
07-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Here's a review.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/don-henley-commands-respect-eagles-8332164

I love the picture of Don, Felder, Randy, Glenn and Joe. I've never seen that picture before.

shunlvswx
07-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Here's some nice pictures from Dublin.

http://shaunneary.com/index.php?/albums/don-henley/

sodascouts
07-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Thanks for posting those.

If you like that photo, here's a color version:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesextra01.jpg

Freypower
07-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Was Glenn mentioned at the Ireland shows?

You can count me as another who finds the dresses those singers are wearing not to my taste. Good photos though.

shunlvswx
07-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Oops. I missed that picture. I meant the other one where they are sitting/standing by the fence.

L101
07-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Yes, Glenn was mentioned at both shows and Desperado was dedicated to him. We raised the roof to him singing with Don.

Freypower
07-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Yes, Glenn was mentioned at both shows and Desperado was dedicated to him. We raised the roof to him singing with Don.

Thanks. Good to hear. Glad you all had a good time at these shows.

DivineDon
07-03-2016, 05:53 AM
I agree with Lacken that Don was much more nervous in Dublin than he had been in Cork (I WILL get to that review when I can -I've been travelling since Wednesday!!!). The venue was much bigger of course so everything seemed more distant, if you know what I mean? In Cork all the front section were standing so they almost 'carried' Don along and he loved it. All those pauses he has to reflect on what he wants to say seemed more exaggerated therefore in Dublin because the silences seemed louder - if that makes sense? - so I for one was nervous for Don.

Anyway, having said all that the show was fabulous. The green shirt went down well again as did him saying that he loved Ireland and his mother was part Irish :). He was also funny trying to define the word 'blarney' - some people told him it meant charming patter while someone else said it just meant bulls**t!!! I personally think it's closer to the latter!

I don't know if he went into the origins of The Last Resort elsewhere - he didn't in Cork. He introduced it by saying it was a true story about a girlfriend he had in 1973. She and her family escaped Czechoslovakia in the 60s because of an uprising there (1968 I believe). They moved to America -Rhode Island and then she got a job in a bar in Aspen where Don met her...."and that's all I'm going to say about that!" he said. It was nice to hear the real story from Don himself and it sounded amazing. I met a couple afterwards, the woman was from California and she couldn't believe Don had sung The Last Resort because he hadn't been singing it in the States recently.

What else??? Everyone observed the no phones rule which he complimented and sang their hearts out to every song. Another thing he did which no-one mentioned before was to dedicate two songs to people. The first one was from Cass County I think - can't remember which song - which he dedicated to "Jenny, dear Jenny" - don't know who that was. The second dedication was Train in the distance for Sandy Kelly who's well know in Ireland for her tributes to Patsy Cline and she made a duet album with Johnny Cash and toured the States with him. She may have met Don before the show but he didn't say - I just thought it kind of unusual for Don to do that. As usual Desperado was for Glenn" :(

I'll start working on the Cork show soon....I promise
Save
Save
Save

sodascouts
07-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the details!

Brooke
07-05-2016, 09:35 AM
L101 and Dd, thanks for your reviews and glad you had a good time! How could you not though! :wink:

Don is looking fab and I think he's dropped a few pounds!

The girl back up singers........:headscratch: