PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley at Hyde Park 3 July (with Carole King)

EaglesKiwi
07-07-2016, 04:31 AM
Don sounded amazing, and was very relaxed through his set. He performed 15 songs, and from what I have read of his other shows it sounds like he cut out most of the commentary to fit in more songs - a good move since I couldn't actually hear him speak. This was my first festival, and I thought it was great until I realised people weren't going to shut up during the performances!!! Philistines.

Set list:
Seven Bridges Road
Dirty Laundry
Sunset Grill
Shanghai La
New York Minute (this goes out to everybody in the UK)
One of These Nights
It Don't Matter To The Sun
End Of The Innocence
The Last Resort (wow)
Heart of the Matter
Everybody Wants To Rule The World (very well received)
Boys of Summer
Life In The Fast Lane
Hotel California
Desperado (introduced very simply as being for Glenn. I cried).

Don's voice was magnificent throughout, although he was very clearly still devastated by Glenn's death. Before he left the stage he said next up was the incomparable Ms Carole King (I think I've got that right, although as mentioned it was difficult to hear him speaking). I got the impression that he respects her very much.

Carole herself was also wonderful, using her backing singers very effectively to support her.

Sorry for the brief review but I only have iPad access which is not fun (plus loads of things to do in London - I love this city!!).

UndertheWire
07-07-2016, 05:19 AM
Thank you for that. I'm now wishing I'd taken the plunge (I thought we would be on holiday and hestitated).

Here's a lovely review of the show: http://houston.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/07-06-16-carole-king-and-don-henley-rock-london-with-powerful-emotional-concert/#slide=0

L101
07-07-2016, 06:11 AM
Thanks for that review EK - I would have loved to have been there as well. Also thanks for deciphering what he said at the very end - I saw a video of that a few times and could never make out what he said.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in London - you'll be kept busy :-)

Brooke
07-07-2016, 10:25 AM
EK, thanks for your thoughts and so glad you had a good time! It would be great to see both of these legends in one night!

Enjoy London!

FWIW
07-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Thanks for your review EK. Enjoy the rest of your stay in London. I'm envious!

Thanks for the link to the culturemap review, UtW. I was very happy to read about some of the differences in this Henley performance:

"There were several differences in this concert from a typical Henley performance. First, Henley seemed to embrace that he and his band would carry the Eagles standard now and would devote a good part of his shows to the Eagles songbook."
. . .
"The third and most poignant difference came after a rousing “Hotel California,” where Henley played the conga drums. He paused, removed his sunglasses and said, "This has been a tough year for our camp. We have heard and read your condolences. Thank you for your love and support. Glenn, this one’s for you,” as he launched into an emotional “Desperado” to end his set."

The review also included some wise advice:

". . . many of the artists we grew up with and love have rounded third base in their careers, and if we want to see them live again we should jump at the chance. We might not get another."

DivineDon
07-07-2016, 01:07 PM
Wow, EK!!! I am suffering from severe PDW syndrome and just wish I had gone to Hyde Park - Don looked and sounded amazing!!!!

Isn't he just wonderful? Glad you're enjoying your trip.

sodascouts
07-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I love hearing about these wonderful shows.

StephUK
07-08-2016, 07:29 PM
Better late than never! I was also at the Hyde Park show last Sunday.
I'm glad EaglesKiwi posted the set list as I never remember the order or I miss out something.:headscratch:

It's already been said but I'm going to repeat it anyway, Don was in fine form and it was a great show. The weather was sunny and warm and the audience was in a good mood (it was the first day of real summer-like weather we've had so far this year). :partytime: Every song was greeted with real enthusiasm by the audience, and lots of people around me were singing along & having a great time. '7BR' and 'It don't matter to the sun', the 'harmony' songs were performed excellently, and I heard people around me saying how amazing they sounded - and I wasn't standing in the middle of lots of die-hard Henley fans(I had asked some of them before Don started his set, and they mainly said they were there for Carole King, and hadn't seen Don Henley perform before).
'Everybody wants to rule the world' went down a storm too. Like others, I loved hearing 'The Last Resort', and so beautifully performed. :applause:

Don looked well, and was in good spirits. He made a comment about the weather, and how the sun wasn't supposed to be there. It was probably the first time they'd seen it since they arrived here, and the weather forecast for Sunday was overcast with possible showers. I'm so glad it was wrong, as it often is.

Cameras, 'phones & tablets were raised above heads everywhere, but Don just had to accept on this occasion 'cos it wasn't his call, and it would have been impossible to enforce a 'no photos' rule anyway, as in excess of 60K people had passed through the entry gates, and probably most were around the Great Oaks stage area by that time (although it wasn't the only stage). It was certainly quite packed with people in the Premium View area where I was.
Premium View isn't that close to the stage, but it is in direct line, so you're not out on the sides.

There were only 2 female backing singers - Lily Elise wasn't there. Other than that it was the rest of the Cass County tour band. The totally lovely Will Hollis looked gorgeous:smitten:, even though he still has a beard (I've kind-of accepted it now, although I still prefer to see him without it).

All in all, it was a good afternoon/evening and I came away feeling relaxed and happy(a very peaceful easy feeling), even more impressed by Don's solo show, and even more in love with Will.:inlove:

shunlvswx
07-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Steph. I didn't know you went too. Thanks for the recap.

Here's Everybody Wants To Rule The World.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jdf7mmwxt0

sodascouts
07-09-2016, 01:52 PM
I was hoping you'd post a review, Steph! Thanks for that!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-09-2016, 03:20 PM
Loving these reviews. I always enjoy the fan perspectives the most, so it was good to hear from you both, EK and Steph. So glad you checked in here.

Brooke
07-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Steph, thanks for your review too! So glad you had a good time and Will was looking good for you!

maryc2130
07-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Great reviews. Thank you!

It's too bad Don and Carole didn't sing at least one song together. They both have such beautiful voices that I have to think it would have been awesome!

Des Reynolds
07-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Hi all! Finally got to see Don here in the Uk after 25 years! Got into 'End of the Innocence' on an American trip in the early 90s, it quickly became a favourite album of mine. Always wanted to see 'Don' live, having seen him with the Eagles several times now. He didn't disappoint!
Do have to say I thought the concert was too quiet. I started off right over to the left hand side and was struggling to hear, but the closer you moved in the better it got. Most of the crown was really there to see Carole King but I think even the non fans enjoyed it more and more (even the guy close to me who told his wife he was 'the drummer in the Eagles'. Well yes but also lead vocalist and songwriter mate! And haven't you heard of Boys of Summer and New York Minute!!). I have Cass County but am not as familiar with it, so wasn't at all disappointed he stuck to 'classics'. Personal highlights were 'Last Resort', 'Boys of Summer', 'Heart of the Matter' (this song means a lot to me after personal circumstances in the last few years), and to my own surprise 'Everybody wants to Rule the World', a really good cover that the crowd massively enjoyed!
Thought his voice still sounded great, particularly in the close harmonies with the group. Carole King was also fantastic, so glad I took this rare chance to see the Don and her. Would welcome further feedback from any others who were there, or any other Don Henley fans . 'You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside, baby' :-)

Brooke
07-13-2016, 10:10 AM
DR, thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed the show! It's a given with Don!

And welcome!

DivineDon
07-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Hi all! Finally got to see Don here in the Uk after 25 years! Got into 'End of the Innocence' on an American trip in the early 90s, it quickly became a favourite album of mine. Always wanted to see 'Don' live, having seen him with the Eagles several times now. He didn't disappoint!
Do have to say I thought the concert was too quiet. I started off right over to the left hand side and was struggling to hear, but the closer you moved in the better it got. Most of the crown was really there to see Carole King but I think even the non fans enjoyed it more and more (even the guy close to me who told his wife he was 'the drummer in the Eagles'. Well yes but also lead vocalist and songwriter mate! And haven't you heard of Boys of Summer and New York Minute!!). I have Cass County but am not as familiar with it, so wasn't at all disappointed he stuck to 'classics'. Personal highlights were 'Last Resort', 'Boys of Summer', 'Heart of the Matter' (this song means a lot to me after personal circumstances in the last few years), and to my own surprise 'Everybody wants to Rule the World', a really good cover that the crowd massively enjoyed!
Thought his voice still sounded great, particularly in the close harmonies with the group. Carole King was also fantastic, so glad I took this rare chance to see the Don and her. Would welcome further feedback from any others who were there, or any other Don Henley fans . 'You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside, baby' :-)

So glad you got to see Don live, DR. I saw him twice in Ireland and am still on cloud nine though dying to see him again. I read a review that another member L101 found and the reviewer complained about Don not singing songs from CC and relying too heavily on past solo songs but as you said the crowd were mixed and not all were familiar with Don (shame on them!). How do you think he went down in general - did he convert a few non-believers?

Save

sodascouts
07-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Welcome, DR, and thanks for your thoughts!

L101
07-15-2016, 06:23 PM
This is getting so annoying - another review complaining that Don is focusing too much on his solo material and not enough on the Eagles material - not sure they understand that it's a Don solo tour ??

" It was a warm, wonderful show on a hot summer’s night and a contrast to supporting player Don Henley’s set. The former Eagles frontman spent too much time on his solo work and not enough on the band’s back catalogue, although he redeemed himself with Hotel California and Desperado – the latter movingly dedicated to fellow Eagles frontman Glenn Frey who died in January."

http://attitude.co.uk/review-stevie-wonder-and-carole-king-headline-hyde-parks-british-summer-time/

shunlvswx
07-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Well he wouldn't enjoyed the show last year since he didn't have not one Eagles song in his set(well except Seven Bridges Road).

I guess he doesn't get its only Don not his bandmates. At least he put some of the Eagles songs in there.

Can't please everybody.

DivineDon
07-16-2016, 07:42 AM
These so-called 'experts' haven't a clue :hand:

Jonny Come Lately
07-16-2016, 08:27 AM
This is getting so annoying - another review complaining that Don is focusing too much on his solo material and not enough on the Eagles material - not sure they understand that it's a Don solo tour ??

" It was a warm, wonderful show on a hot summer’s night and a contrast to supporting player Don Henley’s set. The former Eagles frontman spent too much time on his solo work and not enough on the band’s back catalogue, although he redeemed himself with Hotel California and Desperado – the latter movingly dedicated to fellow Eagles frontman Glenn Frey who died in January."

http://attitude.co.uk/review-stevie-wonder-and-carole-king-headline-hyde-parks-british-summer-time/

I agree, and I think what makes it especially annoying is that the single biggest difference between his Hyde Park setlist and his other European shows is that he dropped virtually all of the Cass County songs (the only survivor was IDMTTS), whereas all of the Eagles songs he played were retained. Less than 12 months ago, Seven Bridges Road was the closest thing he had to an Eagles song on his setlist, whereas in this show six of the fifteen songs were Eagles songs. Once you take out these plus 7BR, most of the other remaining songs were included on his solo compilations Actual Miles and The Very Best Of, so there is no case for saying that he left out classics in favour of newer or more obscure material, and his solo material did not dominate the show by any means.

shunlvswx
07-16-2016, 09:29 AM
No matter what. For his solo songs, he will always going to have The End of The Innocence, The Heart Of The Matter(I think people would be mad if he didn't have that song in his set), Dirty Laundry, and The Boys Of Summer. Everything else is open.

Looking at his setlist for the European tour, it was balanced compare to him having all new songs last year, but he had to promote the album. SO that was understandable.

I've been to show where the artist plays new songs back to back. With you not knowing none of the new songs, yeah you get restless. But if its scattered, its better instead of 4 new songs in a row.

sodascouts
07-16-2016, 04:16 PM
I would be really disappointed if he didn't play his solo hits in addition to a few Eagles songs. That reviewer is clueless.

Glennsallnighter
07-17-2016, 02:32 PM
No matter what. For his solo songs, he will always going to have The End of The Innocence, The Heart Of The Matter(I think people would be mad if he didn't have that song in his set), Dirty Laundry, and The Boys Of Summer. Everything else is open.

Looking at his setlist for the European tour, it was balanced compare to him having all new songs last year, but he had to promote the album. SO that was understandable.

I've been to show where the artist plays new songs back to back. With you not knowing none of the new songs, yeah you get restless. But if its scattered, its better instead of 4 new songs in a row.

I would agree with Shun that yes the setlist was very balanced as far as I saw. He showcased his new album well without overdoing it, had a very good mix of Eagles and solo songs and also rockers and ballads.
I'd have liked ASWTDID but it wasn't a deal breaker that it wasn't included.

I also think he deferred very well to Glenn :heart:. It had to have been difficult for him but it was nice for Glenn:heart:'s fans to hear him say something. And the Desperado dedication was perfect

shunlvswx
07-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Oops. I left out All She Wants To Do Is Dance. That would definitely say that would be in the setlist all the time. I would say Sunset Grill and New York Minute, but he sometimes leave those songs out. I don't think I ever seen a setlist of those songs I listed(including ASWTDIS) not in the show.

theoneyoulove
07-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Hi All! I'm a newbie. Here is a review:

https://peterviney.wordpress.com/peter-viney-music-rock-the-band-record-cover/concert-reviews/don-henley-hyde-park/

LuvTim
07-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Hi, newbie. Welcome. And thanks for the review! :-)

sodascouts
07-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Thanks and welcome!

shunlvswx
11-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Here are a few videos from the Hyde Park concert. They came up on my google alert.

The Last Resort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRxarTaf3Yk

Everybody Wants To Rule the World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abXN40VzKeM

Hotel California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27wMpf7Z7Ro

The Boys Of Summer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hVmLf8wJU

DivineDon
11-19-2016, 07:41 AM
Thanks Shun, TLR is just sublime! Don - always magnificent :love:

Glennsallnighter