PDA

View Full Version : Rate Felder's Top Ten Eagles Tracks.

travlnman2
07-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Well since Bernie and Randy have one Felder should get one too.

1.Hotel California
2.Already Gone
3.One Of These Nights
4.Victim Of Love
5.Get Over It
6.Those Shoes
7.Good Day In Hell
8.Hotel California HFO version
9.Disco Strangler
10.I can't tell you why(Live Version as Glenn was the master behind the orignal solo)

Funk 50
07-12-2016, 02:51 PM
UCR have compiled such a list travlnman2 ;
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-eagles-songs/

I suppose even Felder himself wouldn't include Visions.
It would be interesting to hear Don compile a list of 10 tracks that define him. He rarely ventures further than Hotel California and Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) when talking about his archive.

Top 10 Eagles Contributions;

01 Hotel California
02 Victim Of Love
03 One Of These Nights
04 Sad Cafe
05 Teenage Jail
06 New Kid In Town
07 Your Bright Baby Blues (Eagles Live 1974 backing up Jackson Browne)
08 Those Shoes
09 The Last Resort
10 Wasted Time

Top 10 non Eagles Contributions ;

01 Rivers Of The Hidden Funk (J Walsh)
02 The Highwayman (S Nicks)
03 Never Surrender (Airborne Album)
04 Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride) (Heavy Metal Soundtrack)
05 Still Alive (Airborne Album)
06 Who Tonight (Airborne Album)
07 Man Gonna Love You (J Vitale)
08 Second Hand Store (J Walsh)
09 Meadows (J Walsh Live 1975)
10 tie -- Asphalt Jungle / Haywire (Airborne Album)

I've not heard Don's, Streisand/Gibb tracks and I really don't like Return To Forever

WalshFan88
07-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Hotel California
One Of These Nights
Already Gone
Victim Of Love
New Kid In Town
Good Day In Hell
Those Shoes
Get Over It
After The Thrill Is Gone
James Dean

UndertheWire
07-12-2016, 03:20 PM
I don't think Felder played on James Dean, unless you're thinking of a live version.

WalshFan88
07-12-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't think Felder played on James Dean, unless you're thinking of a live version.

The licks he plays in the intro live version in '74 sure sound like the record to me but it was probably Glenn. Bernie isn't much of a rock solo guy and that isn't his sound. It was probably Glenn's licks. But yes, the live versions are what I'm referring to (like DKRC). But I'd bet dollars to donuts that that vibrato'ed bent string lick that builds up in the beginning after the chords is Glenn, and not Bernie. That's not Bernie's style. When it was just Glenn and Bernie on guitar, Glenn played all of the rock licks (like on Witchy Woman).

Scarlet Sun
07-12-2016, 04:25 PM
The licks he plays in the intro live version in '74 sure sound like the record to me but it was probably Glenn. Bernie isn't much of a rock solo guy and that isn't his sound. It was probably Glenn's licks. But yes, the live versions are what I'm referring to (like DKRC). But I'd bet dollars to donuts that that vibrato'ed bent string lick that builds up in the beginning after the chords is Glenn, and not Bernie. That's not Bernie's style. When it was just Glenn and Bernie on guitar, Glenn played all of the rock licks (like on Witchy Woman).

Perhaps, but Bernie's credited for "solo guitars" on "James Dean" on On The Border. He also played the solo for "Outlaw Man."

1. VOL (unreleased version)
2. OOTN
3. AITTIG
4. Already Gone
5. The Long Run
6. Good Day In Hell
7. HC
8. Visions
9. Those Shoes
10. HC (HOF)

NightMistBlue
07-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Ooh, thank you Scarlet - I wondered who did the "Outlaw Man" solo. It's smokin'!

My favorite Felder track is Visions.

WalshFan88
07-12-2016, 07:14 PM
Perhaps, but Bernie's credited for "solo guitars" on "James Dean" on On The Border. He also played the solo for "Outlaw Man."

If that's the case then why didn't he play the part I'm talking about when they did Cal Jam 74? That part was glaringly absent. I'm not talking about the solo. I'm talking about the part in the intro. Again, it isn't a Bernie thing. He's not a rock guy.

At the 14 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAQWOI2V8I&feature=youtu.be&t=14s

Scarlet Sun
07-12-2016, 08:10 PM
If that's the case then why didn't he play the part I'm talking about when they did Cal Jam 74? That part was glaringly absent. I'm not talking about the solo. I'm talking about the part in the intro. Again, it isn't a Bernie thing. He's not a rock guy.

At the 14 second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMAQWOI2V8I&feature=youtu.be&t=14s

Dunno, but Glenn didn't play it either

chaim
07-12-2016, 10:25 PM
Bernie's solo credit on James Dean refers to the actual solo IMO (which is obviously Bernie). I wasn't there so I can't be 100% certain, but I'd say there's no way it's Bernie playing that lead part during the intro.

Rhythmically the "fast" lick in the intro is the same as the beginning of Glenn's solo on Tryin'. In terms of playing technique it's the same lick upside down. But it's a very common lick, so that doesn't prove anything...

WalshFan88
07-13-2016, 12:34 AM
Bernie's solo credit on James Dean refers to the actual solo IMO (which is obviously Bernie). I wasn't there so I can't be 100% certain, but I'd say there's no way it's Bernie playing that lead part during the intro.

Rhythmically the "fast" lick in the intro is the same as the beginning of Glenn's solo on Tryin'. In terms of playing technique it's the same lick upside down. But it's a very common lick, so that doesn't prove anything...

Agreed, chaim.

UndertheWire
07-13-2016, 03:57 AM
As I'm not good at comparing guitar licks, I'd welcome the opinions of those who know more about the subject. How different is Felder's Good Day in Hell from the one played live* before he joined the band? Obviously, the slide guitar is clearer and louder in the mix in the studio recording, but is he playing essentially the same licks?

* The live version is on the recoding from November 1973 discussed (and linked to) in this thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3092).

ETA: I'm listening to them both, going from one to another and Don's slide adds a great deal to the song. In the studio version, a guitar intro has been added, and Felder's guitar growls under the lead vocal throughout. The solo in the middle has the same "melody" as the live version but of course, it's crisper and stronger. There's another bootleg version (from the same site as the Nov 73 one) from May 1974 which has Felder, playing so that's next on my list.

ETA2: I've listened to the May 1974 Good Day in Hell. It has a slightly extended solo/jam near the end. It sounds better than the November version - possibly a better recording and maybe more practice but they all sound better, not just the guitar. It also has the guitar under the vocals as in the studio version. (Overall, I'm not keen on that bootleg because I feel Felder wasn't fully integrated and his playing kind of "treads on the toes" of the other band members - he's too busy)

Funk 50
07-13-2016, 09:10 AM
Felder plays lead guitar during Outlaw Man. I dunno who played it before he joined.

Joe learned all Bernie's guitar parts when he joined the Eagles. When they played James Dean after Felder was sacked, Joe played the lead guitar intro (they didn't have big screens in the 70s) so I reckon Bernie played it originally. Barring solo tracks, Dirty Laundry and You Belong To The City, Walsh stays clear of parts that Felder played. Steuart Smith plays those.

According to Wikipedia;

Don Felder – lead guitar ("Already Gone"), slide guitar ("Good Day In Hell") (credited as "late arrival")

UndertheWire
07-13-2016, 10:34 AM
Felder plays lead guitar during Outlaw Man. I dunno who played it before he joined.

Joe learned all Bernie's guitar parts when he joined the Eagles. When they played James Dean after Felder was sacked, Joe played the lead guitar intro (they didn't have big screens in the 70s) so I reckon Bernie played it originally. Barring solo tracks, Dirty Laundry and You Belong To The City, Walsh stays clear of parts that Felder played. Steuart Smith plays those.

According to Wikipedia;

Don Felder – lead guitar ("Already Gone"), slide guitar ("Good Day In Hell") (credited as "late arrival")

Liner notes:

ALREADY GONE: Lead Vocals: Glenn, Solo Guitars: Glenn & Don Felder, Written By: Jack Tempchin & Robb Strandlin

JAMES DEAN: Lead Vocal: Glenn, Solo Guitars: Bernie, Written By: Jackson Browne, Glenn Frey, Don Henley, John David Souther

GOOD DAY IN HELL: Lead Vocals: Glenn & Don Henley, Slide: Don Felder, Written By: Glenn Frey & Don Henley

The liner notes for Desperado don't say who played lead on Outlaw Man. However, there's video of a performance in 1973 (a televised concert in The Netherlands) that has Bernie, Randy and Glenn all getting the chance to play a solo but Bernie's solo is in the same place as the one on the album. Interestingly, Bernie seems to be playing rhythm during the verses with Glenn playing lead, then when Bernie plays the solo, Glenn switches to rhythm. Teamwork.

shunlvswx
07-13-2016, 12:07 PM

According to Wikipedia;

In The F1 DVD, Joe plays the famous solo on Already Gone, but it is kinda different from the original solo. I guess after that, he doesn't do the solo for that song. Does that count even though Joe's solo on the F1 DVD is different from the original solo?

scottside
07-13-2016, 12:37 PM
In The F1 DVD, Joe plays the famous solo on Already Gone, but it is kinda different from the original solo. I guess after that, he doesn't do the solo for that song. Does that count even though Joe's solo on the F1 DVD is different from the original solo?

I think that Joe playing the solo for F1 is an anomaly. I've never seen or heard of him playing the solo other than that dvd. It was always Glenn and Felder or Glenn and Steuart.

WalshFan88
07-13-2016, 01:41 PM

According to Wikipedia;

No way Bernie played the part I'm talking about. If so, he never played it live, and sonically, as a guitar player, it's not in his vocabulary. I'm not saying better or worse, I'm saying it's like comparing Chet Atkins to Joe Perry. It's just not in his wheelhouse. The fact he never played that part live leads me to believe it's Glenn, and that the "solo guitars" credit is for the solo, which is Bernie. But that fast lead intro has to be Glenn. I agree with chaim entirely here.

UndertheWire
07-13-2016, 05:49 PM
I listened to the intro to James Dean starting at 14 seconds and my first reaction was it was too fast for Glenn. But then I watched a video of Glenn playing the solo on Tryin' in 1973 and I can see and hear that they are similar. So I agree with you, Toni and Austin that that part is played by Glenn. I'm also not surprised that Don Felder would play it live - getting it right in a show when you also have to sing lead is a different proposition to getting it right in the studio where you can have multiple takes and add the vocals later. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

WalshFan88
07-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Agreed UtW. It's so far removed from Bernie's repetoire and there is no doubt it would be in Glenn's repertoire or even JW/DF even though they didn't create it. It's more of a rock thing, and Bernie was more of the twangy country guy. I've always loved that song.

chaim
07-13-2016, 10:29 PM
Another thing...Unlike Bernie Glenn gave some of his solos to other people when they played live. If neither Bernie nor Glenn played the intro "solo" live, from this viewpoint it makes more sense too that it's Glenn on the original. (If it's not Felder)

Glenn wasn't a technically advanced player at that point, but the "fast" lick is a lot easier to play than it may sound.

WalshFan88
07-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Glenn wasn't a technically advanced player at that point, but the "fast" lick is a lot easier to play than it may sound.

Yup.....make 'em think you're on fire with a simple fast lick lol...I love 'em.

Funk 50
07-14-2016, 07:58 AM
I've amended my opinion. I no longer believe the opening, James Dean, guitar shredding to be Leadon. I watched the 1974 Kirshner show and it was played by Felder so I now think it's also Felder, un-credited, on the record.
It could be Frey but I'd expect Glenn to be more tasteful and less showy. It really doesn't fit with the rest of the song. There's a real jolt when the vocals start. I'd prefer James Dean without it.

Joe does play Felder's part in post Felder versions of Already Gone, so I guess he could have played Felder's part for James Dean too, but even he can't save it imho.
I guess Steuart Smith's style is closer to Leadon's which would explain Walsh playing Felder's part and Smith playing Leadon's.

When the Eagles brought Witchy Woman back into their setlist in 2001, it was a thrill to see Glenn playing the guitar solo as he did on the Eagles first LP.

Can anybody offer a top 5/10 from Felder's live set list. From the YouTube clips I've seen, they all sound, much of a muchness.

WalshFan88
07-14-2016, 10:17 PM
I love the guitar part. I think it's easier and less complicated and showy than it sounds. It's a cool lick, and I love that song and I like that sometimes. I prefer the Eagles when they were rockin' hard to their smoother side and it's a great example of an Eagles track I really dig.

chaim
07-14-2016, 10:35 PM
It's a fantastic intro, but what comes after it disappoints me. Always has. It's not that a bad song follows, but the intro and the song don't fit together. Something harder should follow. The intro would work better in Out Of Control.

Eagles7
08-10-2016, 10:55 PM
No one is mentioning Turn to Stone, live versions. I think it's Houston '76 and Capital Centre '77 where Joe and Felder have amazing solos and duet. Someone explained it on line like a mating ritual between the two guitars, but when Joe says, "My buddy, Don Felder's gonna play guitar for you...here ya go", Felder goes and goes and keeps on going. It's my favorite work of his ever.

thelastresort
08-11-2016, 06:15 AM
No one is mentioning Turn to Stone, live versions. I think it's Houston '76 and Capital Centre '77 where Joe and Felder have amazing solos and duet. Someone explained it on line like a mating ritual between the two guitars, but when Joe says, "My buddy, Don Felder's gonna play guitar for you...here ya go", Felder goes and goes and keeps on going. It's my favorite work of his ever.

That Joe Walsh quote reminds me of the version from Seattle '75, though Houston '76 also does include it in the set.

My favourite version of Turn to Stone is the one from YCAWASM, which of course includes Felder on guitar and a superb flute solo by Joe Vitale.

Eagles7
08-14-2016, 04:29 PM
YCAWASM ?

Eagles7
08-14-2016, 04:42 PM
YCAWASM ?

Freypower
08-14-2016, 07:24 PM
YCAWASM ?

You Can't Argue Wtih A Sick Mind

Freypower
08-15-2016, 06:23 PM
@Freypower:

Valhalla :heart:

Yes, I see.8) As I said to AG elswhere it's for Robert Plant's birthday on the 20th. Sorry to distract people but I have non-Eagles related signatures which I enjoy using occasionally. It occurred to me to make this after Iceland's superb performance at Euro 2016. The song is a masterpiece.

Back on topic...