PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley at The Greek Theatre in Berkeley, CA (July 23, 2016)

RudieCantFail
07-24-2016, 05:50 AM
My folks and I listened to the TEOTI album on the way there, and we got to the parking structure closest to the Theatre at 4:20 pm. Luckily, we were there early enough to get $15 10 hour parking, instead of $30 event parking. To pass the time, my folks and I walked through some of the stores on campus. After that, we walked back to the car and ate. Later, a truck backed up into our car and he tapped it. He was parked and got out of the car to ask a Q to the parking worker. After that, he decided to back in some more and I was so scared. My dad got his attention, and then, he pulled a little bit forward, apologized, and offered to pay for our parking. We declined b/c he was polite overall about it.

Anyways, fast forward to the gates opening at 7 pm. I bought two shirts for $35 a piece. One was blue with a guitar head on the back side and it said Don Henley Tour 2016. The other was black with Don's pic on it and the North American tour places on the back. Our seats were the 15th row up on the back benches. If you were looking at the stage, we were on the very far right side called section 1. It wasn't that bad from that high up, but I couldn't see Don in detail. Thankfully, I brought binoculars at the last minute, and I got to see Don much closer and in better detail. He was wearing the big white dress shirt where the arms aren't tight fitting at all with a dark gray vest. Later on he commented that it was getting cold and put on a red flannel. He didn't button it up. He also looked clean shaven.

Back track to the beginning of the concert:
It started off with the lights focusing on the different old-style, like probably 1950s era, radios. They played small excerpts of important people's speeches (FDR, JFK, MLK) and some songs from the 1950s. It could have had different time periods too, but I don't remember. It was mostly 1950s b/c I distinctly remember Elvis and Buddy Holly.

Then, Don, the backup singers, two guitarists (I think. I know one of them was Steuart.), and maybe some other people started harmonizing for Seven Bridges Road. Of course, everyone in the 15-piece band came up and people were clapping a lot. It was a great start, but people were clapping too much. I don't blame them though because I even did it accidentally. Yep, total clueless person here. They clapped a lot because everyone came up, but then they start singing and then it stops. Pretty much every time they don't sing, everyone starts clapping loudly. I have no clue if too much clapping always happens for 7BR.

After that, Don talks a lot about what we're going to expect in this concert. He mentions the 15-piece band and comments that it's not cheap or something like that. He has that many people because he's going to do a bunch of styles that he has done throughout his 40+ year career. He says that he doesn't like the word 'genre' b/c it's a fussy word. People do say 'Happy Birthday' to him around the area I was sitting, I think. He doesn't hear or acknowledge. Also, shouts of adoration are also heard. He also says that he has never played at this facility, and then he said, that's the wrong term to use. He corrected himself and said amphitheater. I think he said this at the beginning, but I'm not sure.

My memory of the setlist order is pretty bad, so I'm just going to copy and paste the list from Setlist.fm. FWIW can hopefully corroborate and/or correct it in their recollection of the events. If it doesn't match up, I'll edit my post.:
(Edited to match up w/ FWIW)

Seven Bridges Road
Dirty Laundry
That Old Flame
Sunset Grill
Witchy Woman
Words Can Break Your Heart
New York Minute
When I Stop Dreaming
One of These Nights
Shangri-La
Bramble Rose
It Don't Matter to the Sun
I Don't Want to Hear Anymore (the backup singers' song)
The End of the Innocence
The Last Resort
Train in the Distance
The Heart of the Matter
[BAND INTROS]
How Bad Do You Want It?
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Boys of Summer
ENCORE 1
Life in the Fast Lane
Hotel California
ENCORE 2
All She Wants to Do Is Dance
Desperado

Onwards to what I thought about the songs:
Woo! "Dirty Laundry!" Another great start after the long intro talk. I love how rockin' it is and it just energizes the crowd. Don said it was from 1986, but he sounded unsure, I think. I know it's 1984. EDIT: 1982, my bad. Unless he was referring to "Sunset Grill." I don't remember.

"Sunset Grill" comes on after "That Old Flame" (This is what the placement was originally in my post). I wasn't expecting it but I was pleasantly surprised. I like the song a lot because it has a mesmerizing quality of some sort.

I feel a little ashamed that I haven't listened to Cass County yet, but I liked the song choices Don picked for the concert. "That Old Flame" was upbeat with the drums and I liked the song. He introduced it saying that the Internet has a dark side. He goes on by saying that many people have claimed that their children were from him. My memory gets a little foggy and I think he said that it was only true once. I think he's referring to the one from the 70s, Brittany, I think? Someone shouts, "Sara!" I don't remember if Don said that the kid thing was true once before or after the shout. I thought it wasn't really nice that someone shouted Sara b/c I think it'd be a touchy subject. Don's probably over it since it happened like 30-40 years ago, and I don't think he directly responded to the shout. "Words Can Break Your Heart" touched me personally b/c it's relatable. The lyric about the sticks and stones and then the song title got me, man.

"Witchy Woman" was in between the CC songs, and I was like, "Man! Too bad that it got knocked off of Survivor." I started recording halfway through New York Minute sounded pretty good. (redacted)

I honestly forgot that he sang "When I Stop Dreaming." After some Googling, I remembered that he introduced it and said that it was a cover from the Louvin Brothers. I think he digresses about Texas, and he said to go Google that s--t. "One of These Nights" was groovy. I liked how high he went with it vocally b/c that falsetto towards the end of the song is what I'm looking forward to. Then, comes Shangri-La and I don't really care for it as much. But I did have some fun with it, dancing-wise and made my mom laugh. Don says that the song is just for fun.

"Bramble Rose" and "It Don't Matter to the Sun" come on, and to introduce the former he says that he did it w/ Miranda Lambert and Mick Jagger. He then quips, "An unlikely threesome, only not for Mick." Afterwards, some guy shouts, "Rock and Roll" repeatedly. Don had enough and replied with, "You'll get your Rock and Roll, sonny boy, just shut up and wait for it. It's all rock and roll, all of it." I love it when Don reasonably surly to those rabble rousers.

Don leaves and lets the backup singers sing, "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore." He says he's "going to get a smoke and a pancake."

I'll let FWIW give the details on the rest of the concert b/c it's 2 am right now in CA.

Final thoughts:
I'd also like to share more, before I call it a night. At some point in the concert, he did hear someone say "Happy Birthday" (Not during the intro talk). He said something to the effect like it's not my birthday or something jokingly dismissive like that. He was pretty much like, yeah, I don't really care for my birthday that much at this point. He said that he had barbeque and cake for his birthday, I think. I never shouted happy birthday and I'm glad that people did.

I hope that FWIW can share some Don-isms that I don't remember. I love his humorous quips in between songs. I don't mind that he has a no camera/phone policy b/c it fits his personality. I'm not saying that it's bad, but it adds to his sense of humor if that makes sense.

I thought that Don looked nice, and I felt a little bad for the backup singers. Don and the rest of the male band members get to wear longer clothes, but the girls wear short dresses/skirts and I think a romper. It was in the 60s when it got dark. I just thought it was funny/odd b/c how the girls dressed was mentioned in a previous 2016 Euro thread. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't read that thread and if Don didn't put on the flannel.

I had a great time and other people did too. They were dancing in some areas b/c it was not sold out. My mom told me that she forgot how many good songs Henley had when we got home. Also, we left in the middle of Desperado b/c my folks wanted to avoid the potential exit mayhem. They don't like crowds, and they do this whenever we go to a sports event.

maryc2130
07-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Very nice review, Rudie. Thank you for all the detailed information. It makes me look forward to the show in Boston even more! (Like I wasn't looking forward to it enough. LOL!) I can't believe the rude things people were yelling, like the reference to Sara and singing rock songs. It really irritates me. Why would you go to see Don in concert and then yell stuff like that? Argh!

I have to say that I haven't really looked at the set list in detail before this. I'm really glad to see Witchy Woman is included. I loved the version on the HOTE tour. I haven't heard any comments on the other threads about this one, or maybe I've missed them.

I'm a little disappointed in the selections from Cass County. Don't get me wrong; I love all those songs, but there are ones I'd rather hear. I love Train in the Distance, but it's interesting that he's chosen all the other ones with female duets: When I Stop Dreaming, Words Can Break Your Heart, It Don't Matter to the Sun and That Old Flame. I would think No Thank You would be a great upbeat concert song, and am surprised that he doesn't include Take a Picture of This. Personally, I'd love to hear The Cost of Living, but it seems (I could be wrong on this) that's he's made the duet choices to keep the young women employed and/or give them bigger roles than just singeing back up harmonies.

I commented on the women's dresses on an earlier thread, and I still stand by what I said. I have nothing against short skirts, and they absolutely have the right to wear what they want (unless DH has a say over everyone's costumes for the show), but it's the style of the dresses that bothers me. I wish they would choose something more professional-looking. Even short, slim skirts would look better, IMHO. But their singing is what's important, of course, and I'm glad Don has such talented back-up singers!

EagleLady
07-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Very nice review, Rudie. Thank you for all the detailed information. It makes me look forward to the show in Boston even more! (Like I wasn't looking forward to it enough. LOL!) I can't believe the rude things people were yelling, like the reference to Sara and singing rock songs. It really irritates me. Why would you go to see Don in concert and then yell stuff like that? Argh!

I have to say that I haven't really looked at the set list in detail before this. I'm really glad to see Witchy Woman is included. I loved the version on the HOTE tour. I haven't heard any comments on the other threads about this one, or maybe I've missed them.

I'm a little disappointed in the selections from Cass County. Don't get me wrong; I love all those songs, but there are ones I'd rather hear. I love Train in the Distance, but it's interesting that he's chosen all the other ones with female duets: When I Stop Dreaming, Words Can Break Your Heart, It Don't Matter to the Sun and That Old Flame. I would think No Thank You would be a great upbeat concert song, and am surprised that he doesn't include Take a Picture of This. Personally, I'd love to hear The Cost of Living, but it seems (I could be wrong on this) that's he's made the duet choices to keep the young women employed and/or give them bigger roles than just singeing back up harmonies.

I commented on the women's dresses on an earlier thread, and I still stand by what I said. I have nothing against short skirts, and they absolutely have the right to wear what they want (unless DH has a say over everyone's costumes for the show), but it's the style of the dresses that bothers me. I wish they would choose something more professional-looking. Even short, slim skirts would look better, IMHO. But their singing is what's important, of course, and I'm glad Don has such talented back-up singers!

You can't judge how Professional someone is by the clothing they wear.

Jonny Come Lately
07-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the brilliant review RCF! Gave a lot of insight and reminded me of the great show I saw nearly four weeks ago (where did that time go?).

I was especially intrigued to see the changes to the setlist, I notice he included more songs than on the European tour - 24 songs rather than 20, with one or two that he didn't play in Europe at all. I suspect this was made possible by the lack of a support act (or, if you prefer to think of it another way, the lack of James Dolan spending half an hour introducing his next song!). I'll summarise my observations, mainly in comparison to his UK shows:

- Life In The Fast Lane is now an encore; in Manchester it was the final song of the regular set. However, in both cases it was the fourth last song on the setlist.

- All She Wants To Do Is Dance is also now an encore; slightly surprisingly it was not played at all of the European shows, certainly not in either Glasgow or Manchester.

- Train In The Distance was in the first encore on the European tour, but now seems to have moved to the regular set in amongst The Last Resort and The Heart of the Matter (these were two of the best received songs in Manchester, both got a big applause).

- This meant that the last Cass County song was played before the band intros. Looking at the later part of the setlist I am immediately reminded of Glenn’s ‘It’s rock and roll from here on in, folks’ comment! There was an element of this on the European tour but more so now when the encores gain two uptempo numbers at the expense of a slower country song.

- Sunset Grill was played early on in the set, just as it was in Manchester, however it was omitted in Glasgow (I believe that was the only setlist difference between the two main UK shows). SG and That Old Flame were swapped around compared to at my show, where TOF was the third song played.

- Shangri-La was not on the setlist in Manchester or Glasgow, although having said this it was played elsewhere on the European tour – I think it was played at Hyde Park, and in at least one of his Irish shows.

- All of the Eagles songs on the European setlist and were joined by Witchy Woman, which was definitely not included at any of the European shows. I don’t think How Bad Do You Want It? was included either.

- Conversely, I think I heard that The Last Worthless Evening was included in either the Swedish or Dutch show, but it has not made it onto the first US setlist.

Assuming that the ‘core’ of the band (‘No loonies… except me!’ Don said in Manchester) was more or less the same as in the UK, the second guitarist alongside Steuart Smith will have been Chris Holt.

Regarding the Cass County songs, I'm slightly surprised to see that he played the exact same songs as in Europe, I thought he'd maybe play one or two more in addition to the ones he played before. Mc2130 has raised a very good point about the duets. It’s particularly interesting that he has chosen to play all three of Bramble Rose, When I Stop Dreaming and It Don’t Matter To The Sun, as the studio versions of those songs feature high-profile guest singers. I agree that it’s surprising he hasn’t chosen to play No, Thank You, which is far more energetic than any of the tracks he has played from the album bar That Old Flame. I’m also glad you mentioned Take A Picture Of This as my Dad was quite surprised he didn’t play that one (he really likes that song). Don, his backing singers and band did a great job with all the Cass County songs in Manchester though, I really liked IDMTTS even though I’m not that keen on the studio take. Thanks to the change in arrangement I enjoyed more without Stevie (Never thought I’d say that! Don't tell Soda!).

I must admit I didn't mind the dresses the backing singers wore in Manchester, although I think the ones they wore that night were mostly black and didn't make them look as young as those I've seen in photos from other shows, where I can definitely understand the criticisms more. The most important thing though is that Don's backing singers can definitely sing great! Also, in Manchester Erica played violin on a couple of songs (definitely on The Last Resort and saxophone part on The End of the Innocence).

One quick question: was Witchy Woman close to the original studio version or more like the HOTE tour version? I’m guessing the former, but I love both takes so just interested to know.

DivineDon
07-24-2016, 12:22 PM
OMG, I can't believe someone shouted out Sara!! How ignorant can you get? Maybe it's just as well Don is slightly deaf - I wouldn't have blamed him for throwing that person out! I'm sorry Don didn't sing WW in Europe, I would have really liked to hear that after enjoying the HOTE version immensely.

shunlvswx
07-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Here's some pictures from the show. Don is clean shaving again. That guy could never make up his mind if he wants a goatee or clean shaving. :laugh:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/event/don-henley-performs-at-the-greek-theatre-656634591#musician-don-henley-of-the-eagles-performs-onstage-during-his-2016-picture-id579455472

thelastresort
07-24-2016, 03:12 PM
I've said it before but sans goatee Don hasn't aged at all since Farewell 1 twelve years ago...

RudieCantFail
07-24-2016, 03:52 PM
One quick question: was Witchy Woman close to the original studio version or more like the HOTE tour version? I’m guessing the former, but I love both takes so just interested to know.

JCL, Witchy Woman was closer to the original studio version. Based on a HOTE video I just watched, the drums weren't dominant and the sound wasn't stripped down like that one.

buffyfan145
07-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Thanks so much for all the reviews!!! :D Very interesting he changed some of the set list and I'm so excited to see him next month!!!

FWIW
07-24-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks for your excellent review Rudie. I can help fill in some of the blanks from the end of the show. Before I get to the end of the show, I'll describe my pre-show experience.

Hubby and I got to Berkeley for an early dinner to celebrate our upcoming 26th anniversary. We went to a highly regarded restaurant (Chez Panisse for anyone familiar with the area) and were slightly disappointed. Fortunately, that was the last disappointment for the rest of the night! We also spent some time walking around the campus and the famed Telegraph Ave. which is a very popular area for the students.

The Greek Theatre sits on the campus of the University of California, Berkeley. It is the flagship campus of the statewide UC system, the state's public research institutions. At one point Don noted that he was in a college town so he could use a more sophisticated vocabulary. As Rudie mentioned, this is the first time Don played at the Berkeley Greek Theatre. He did some research and found it was constructed in 1903, "right after I was born" he joked.

I adhered to request that there be no photographing, recording or broadcasting of the performance. The only photo I have is of the set before the show started. You can see the old radios that Rudie described. I'll try to upload it.

From other reviews I've read, I think the band and backup singers are the same. Onstage, from my left to my right there were:

Milo Deering - pedal steel and other instruments
Chris Holt - guitar, harmonica on Bramble Rose
Will Hollis - keyboards
Lance Morrison - bass
Scott Crago - drums
Don
Lily Elise, Lara Johnston, Erica Swindell
Michael Thompson - piano, mandolin
Steuart Smith - guitar

The horn/sax players were not onstage for all the songs. I'm not sure I caught all of the names and I am not as familiar with them as the other musicians. Here's what I think I heard:

Charlie Peterson - trumpet
George McMullen - trombone
Tom Evans - sax (he was described as the leader of this group)
Dave Trigg - trumpet
Trevor Neumann - trumpet

Don commented that trombone was the first instrument he played. He said he sucked which drew some chuckles from the crowd. Fortunately for all of us, he didn't give up on music.

Here are some details from the end of the show.

I thoroughly enjoyed hearing The Last Resort. Don said that he hadn't performed the song in many (30?) years. All 15 members of his band were on stage and the music had such a rich quality. In addition to the main 7 musicians, Erica played violin and the horn section was brilliant. This song drew a huge ovation from the crowd.

Don described Train in the Distance as being autobiographical. He told how he used to play on the train tracks when he was a kid, putting pennies on the rails. He said when they did the photoshoot for Cass County, the crew did similar things "which drew the authorities."

Next up was The Heart of the Matter. I don't recall how Don introduced this song. As with everything he played, it

Don introduced Everybody Wants To Rule the World as being particularly appropriate for the times. He said he didn't write it, but wishes he did. He encouraged everyone, saying "Sing along; you'll feel better." From this song to the end of the show, no one was sitting.

Don closed the main part of the set with a stirring rendition of Boys of Summer. Everyone was singing along and dancing to the music.

The first encore started with Life in the Fast Lane where Chris Holt and Steuart Smith really got to show their stuff. This song must have made the chap shouting for Rock and Roll very happy. It was very high energy and Don was bouncing around onstage.

Next up was Hotel California. I was hoping that Don would let us take photos, but alas it was not meant to be. I even instructed hubby that he had the responsibility to take photos if permitted because I knew I wouldn't be able to take them. Chris and Steuart played the final guitar solos side by side (reminiscent of Don and Joe) for the only time. During the rest of the show, they were on opposite sides of the stage.

The first song of the second encore was All She Wants To Do is Dance. A fun song and the crowd was all on their feet dancing along to the music.

The final song of the show was Desperado. Don talked about how 2016 has been a difficult year. He thanked everyone for their support back in January. He finally kicked of the song saying "This one's for Glenn." Of course by this time, I had tears in my eyes. I was so glad he dedicated the song to Glenn and I'm sure it was difficult for him.

After Desperado, the main lights were slow to come on and many of us optimists stuck around, hoping to hear one more song. Rudie, I can relate to your parents wanting to leave early because hubby is very similar. I did warn him before the show even started that there was no way we were leaving early :)

The set list for the show was similar to previous US shows, with the addition of Sunset Grill and a slightly modified order.

Seven Bridges Row
Dirty Laundry
That Old Flame (with Lily)
Sunset Grill
Witchy Woman
Words Can Break Your Heart (with Lara)
New York Minute
When I Stop Dreaming (with Erica who nailed it and drew a very loud ovation.)
One Of These Nights
Shangri-La
Bramble Rose (ensemble singing)
It Don't Matter to the Sun (ensemble singing)
I Don't Want to Hear Anymore (backup singers only)
End of the Innocence
The Last Resort (Erica violin)
Train in the Distance
Heart of the Matter
[Band Intros]
How Bad Do You Want It
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Boys of Summer
[Encore 1]
Life in the Fast Lane
Hotel California
[Encore 2]
All She Wants to Do Is Dance
Desperado

Edited to correct the sequence

Ive always been a dreamer
07-24-2016, 08:52 PM
Awesome reviews everyone! So much detail that I really did feel like I was there. Thanks for taking the time for doing these for us.

shunlvswx
07-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Here's a review from the show.

https://medium.com/@nowhereman73/https-don-henley-plays-greek-theatre-berkeley-406f93f7de45#.liddu6an0

RudieCantFail
07-26-2016, 02:42 AM
Videos from Berkeley (Hopefully, these don't get taken down soon, but there are file downloaders, if you wanted to save them.):

Life in the Fast Lane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXScLMS734

Desperado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8SSqJT7To

EDIT: deleted extraneous info and digressions.