PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Miller Double Take

Funk 50
08-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Great rocking news for Walsh fans. Frankie Miller is releasing a collaborative album titled Double Take in a couple of months. :p

Frankie, who wrote Eagles rocker,Guilty Of The Crime was in a burgeoning super group with Joe until Hell Froze Over. He suffered a brain hemorrhage in 1994, while in America to attend an Eagles concert as a guest of Joe. Joe popped to Glasgow to perform at a tribute concert for Frankie several (I suppose it's many :worried:) years ago.

...many of his peers have gathered together to record Frankie Miller’s Double Take, a 19-track album largely composed of duets with the man, and which is due for release on 30 September.

Frankie and Joe team up on two tracks, album opener Blackmail and Kiss Her For Me. Joe recorded Miller track, The Ghost for an unreleased 1999 solo album, it's performed by Tomoyasu Hotei on this album.

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/frankie-millers-double-take-a-new-look-at-an-icon

I loved Frankie's 3CD Tribute album, I hope Double Take will be another winner. It'll be incredible to hear Frankie sing again!

Funk 50
08-22-2016, 06:12 AM
Here's an article about Frankie's new album from Scotland's Daily Record (John Dingwall).

I thought the Eagles put an end to the R&B band that Joe was putting together in the early nineties. According to this article, when Frankie suffered his brain haemorrhage in 1994 he was visiting Joe, on tour with the Eagles, with the intention of writing songs for their band.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/music/music-news/music-greats-unite-help-stricken-8665777

Rod Stewart, Kid Rock, Elton John, Willie Nelson, Huey Lewis, Bonnie Tyler and Status Quo’s Francis Rossi Joe's not deemed famous enough to make the guest stars list :grin: but Rod gives him a fine heads up. Joe played on Rod's, A Night On The Town album in the mid 70s (Not 100% sure which track(s)) and was a little under par by his own admission.

I reckon that the photo of Joe and Frankie is from Joe's "Blotto" years.:|

Frankie Miller - Double Take

‘Blackmail’ (with Joe Walsh)
‘Where Do The Guilty Go’ (with Elton John and Steve Cropper)
‘Way Past Midnight’ (with Huey Lewis)
‘True Love’ (with Bonnie Tyler)
‘Kiss Her For Me’ (with Rod Stewart and Joe Walsh)
‘Gold Shoes’ (with Francis Rossi)
‘Sending Me Angels’ (with Kiki Dee and Jose Antonio Rodriguez)
‘Jezebel Jones’ (with Kid Rock and Full House)
‘When It’s Rockin’’ (with Steve Dickson and Full House)
‘Beginner At The Blues’ (with Delbert McClinton and Full House)
‘To Be With You Again’ (with Kim Carnes)
‘I Want To Spend My Life With You’ (with Willie Nelson)
‘The Ghost’ (with Tomoyasu Hotei)
‘It Gets Me Blue’ (with Paul Carrack)
‘Out On The Water’ (with Stuart Emerson)
‘It’s A Long Way Home’ (with Brian Cadd)
‘I’m Missing You’ (with John Parr)
‘I Never Want To Lose You’ (with Lenny Zakatek)
‘I Do’ (Frankie Miller solo)

Funk 50
10-01-2016, 09:53 AM
I've managed to download and listen to Double Take. I'll be looking to buy it, if I see it on a future visit to a record store.

After hearing lots of aging rock stars struggling to match their, decades past, vocal peak, it's fantastic to hear Frankie singing with a voice that could cut stone.

The quality of the song writing is first class, which makes me even more surprised that Joe presented Guilty Of The Crime to the Eagles for Long Road Out Of Eden when there seems to be plenty of stronger Frankie Miller tracks he could have chosen.

Joe's contribution to this album is pretty muted. There isn't enough sonic room for both Frankie and Joe to hit the heights so I'm happy for Joe to take a back seat and allow Frankie's voice to have all the space it needs.

The opening track, Blackmail, features Joe on a rocking 3 minute blast. Joe plays a perfectly good guitar solo but it's the vocals that carry the track. Joe's contribution to Kiss Her For Me sounds very similar to his 1999 recording of Frankie's The Ghost. The Ghost is also on Double Take, without Joe but it has a very similar arrangement to Joe's version.

A procession of superstars, led by Elton John and Rod Stewart, add some star quality but Frankie is definitely the star turn. Respect to Willie Nelson, whose voice, isn't going to rise above, weak and feeble, next to an outstanding Frankie vocal during I Want To Spend My Life With You.

For anybody planning a wedding, I can highly recommend, closing track, I Do for the customary, first dance. This song should have a "tearjerker" alert. It's caught this heartless soul out three times so far. :cry:

I've discovered many great artists through Joe Walsh. Frankie Miller is definitely up with the best of them. 8)

LuvTim
10-01-2016, 01:00 PM
I've preordered the cd/dvd combo. I find his story truly inspirational. Rock on, Frankie. :rockon:

WalshGirl
10-02-2016, 01:38 AM
Thanks Funk 50 for the links, song critiques, and excellent review of the Double Take. I also downloaded it.

And I agree with you and LuvTim about the power of his story.

In 1999, the BBC did a documentary called Stubborn Kinda Fella. It's worth watching! :)

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI24jV1AxwE

LuvTim
10-02-2016, 10:09 AM
WG, I saw that BBC doc. Agreed, very good portrait of the man and his closest associates.

sodascouts
10-02-2016, 04:44 PM
I purcased Blackmail but was disappointment to see that you have to buy the whole album if you want Kiss Her for Me. This kind of thing is why people turn to illegal downloads.

WalshGirl
10-03-2016, 01:04 AM
WG, I saw that BBC doc. Agreed, very good portrait of the man and his closest associates.

I bet he and Joe would've made some fantastic blues music together. :)

But what a tragic story. At least Frankie seems okay with what happened. I do hope the CD generates a lot of income for him and his family.

I purcased Blackmail but was disappointment to see that you have to buy the whole album if you want Kiss Her for Me. This kind of thing is why people turn to illegal downloads.

Yeah, it's a shame the music companies still play these types of games. And what the music industry has done to YouTube is disgraceful. How many times do we see a video has been pulled because copyrights were violated. But I don't understand the logic if the person posting the video is not benefitting financially from it. Doesn't seem like anything is being violated. Whatever happened to fair use for entertainment purposes?

Oh well, but I digress....

Funk 50
10-03-2016, 12:33 PM

I've invested enough money in my musical heroes, not to worry too much about how I get to hear new music. Joe Walsh vinyl LPs were scarcely stocked and very difficult to get hold of, new Joe Walsh CDs were routinely, when available, double the price of chart CDs. The Eagles did the Walmart deal with Long Road Out Of Eden because of the (mal)practices of the record companies. The internet has been a fabulous creation for music fans.

I've found a list of Frankie's songs that have been covered by other artists. There are plenty of big names, including The Eagles of course, listed.
http://frankiemiller.net/covered-by/
One that caught my eye is Lou Ann Barton. She covered two of Frankie's songs, including the title track, on her album Old Enough that she made with Glenn Frey.

Until he teamed up with Joe, I always regarded Frankie as a hard rock guy. His song writing prowess is so much more evident in a mainstream environment.

KingWalsh
09-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Hi! I decided to bring life back to this thread! I found Frankie Miller double take on spotify and was able to hear it. Love to hear "new" Joe. Also if you haven't heard it they have the Jimmie Haskel California '99 album, which is STRANGE, but Joe sings/ plays guitar on Jessica Stone and California Fairy Tale. Jessica Stone has some wicked guitar work, pretty cool song, then the weird narrator comes...:woah:....CFT isn't bad until the rambling narrator comes back..ughh. Love to stumble on stuff like this though!

sodascouts
09-24-2019, 10:32 PM
Hi! I decided to bring life back to this thread! I found Frankie Miller double take on spotify and was able to hear it. Love to hear "new" Joe. Also if you haven't heard it they have the Jimmie Haskel California '99 album, which is STRANGE, but Joe sings/ plays guitar on Jessica Stone and California Fairy Tale. Jessica Stone has some wicked guitar work, pretty cool song, then the weird narrator comes...:woah:....CFT isn't bad until the rambling narrator comes back..ughh. Love to stumble on stuff like this though!

Oh my gosh. I had not heard those Haskell tracks before! I just checked them out. We need to start a new thread for these, not bury them in the Miller thread!