PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Christmas Songs.

Glennsallnighter
12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
We were doing a few Christmas songs in guitar class tonight, and I was just wondering if you guys have a favourite Christmas song or Christmas carol. Or perhaps one with a particular significance or story attached to it that they'd like to share. If so let us know.

For the record, my favourite song is the 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty McColl. I just love the rhythms, the way the different sections of the song are sung at different tempo's and the earlier sentiments of the song
"You're handsome, you're pretty, Queen of NY city"
"This Years for me and You"
"I can see a better time when all our dreams come true"
to mention a few

And the chorus is very uplifting. You can see the NYPD choir singing and nearly hear the bells.

It was also one a lot of Irish people could relate to at the time. It was a very cold winter that year
"The wind goes right through you..."
And also a time when there was a deep recession. Emigration (to the States) was high and people could relate to the hope of a better time when all their dreams came true.

Its also poignant in that Kirsty McColl is no longer with us.

My favourite carol is 'Oh Holy Night'. Quite simply I remember it being sung at Christmas church and carol services from a time when I was very young and anytime I hear it it brings back all that old magic and helps remind me of what Christmas is about.

But they're just mine! I'm dying to hear everyone elses. Hope I didn't bore anyone!

sodascouts
12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
As some of you might have guessed, lol, I love the Christmas season - and I love Christmas music!

"O Holy Night" is my all-time favorite. It brings tears to my eyes when it's done right. Such a powerful, moving song.

"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" also moves me, especially in a time of war. It gives me hope. The best version I ever heard of it took a bit beyond the normal hymn structure by taking the last verse up a notch - it was so uplifting. The singer of that version was Kate Smith.

"Do You Hear What I Hear" also is very dramatic and powerful, I think. As you can see, I love the carols that build to a crescendo!

"Sleigh Ride" always makes me smile really big, as does "Winter Wonderland." "Let It Snow" is also lots of fun.

Those standards "White Christmas" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" are also lovely.

And, as a child of the eighties, I have to admit that I love Wham's "Last Christmas"!

DonFan
12-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I love Christmas carols too!

I love Please Come Home for Christmas (naturally!), The Carpenters' Merry Christmas Darling, Jingle Bell Rock, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys, Blue Christmas by Elvis, and Bing Crosby's White Christmas. I also like a new one by Harry Connick Jr called It Must Have Been Ol' Santa Claus that ends with Harry singing "Happy Ho-Ho-Ho to you!"

Classic favorites: Do You Hear What I Hear, and Hark the Herald Angels Sing.

Glennsallnighter
12-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Thanks DF! Even listening to the names of some of those songs and carols brings back great memories and bring a smile to my face. And 'O Holy Night' done well is one of the most moving carols ever to listen to in my opinion.

EasyFeeling
12-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I can't say much to this because I guess you're not familiar with the classic German Christmas songs. :wink: But we have Silent Night, in German of course. :wink:

I have to say I don't like our songs very much my favourites are the English songs like Wham's Last Christmas, Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea (I love that song), All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey.
As for the classics my favourites are Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Winter Wonderland, Rudolph, The Rednosed Reindeer, Let It Snow.

Mrs Frey
12-04-2007, 11:09 AM
What a lovely topic, GA!

Well, I've never really thought about my favourite Christmas songs before, as I tend to haul out my Christmas albums during this time and generally enjoy everything.

"Blue Christmas" by Elvis Presley would probably rank as my favourite, as it's the one I tend to sing and play more than any others. After that, I love "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" by John Lennon, three more Elvis songs in "Here Comes Santa Claus", "Santa Claus Is Back In Town" (a real raucous rocker!) and "I'll Be Home For Christmas", and Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" (love Elvis' version, too, surprise, surprise :blush: ).

I've just purchased The Eagles' "Very Best Of" double CD, and heard "Please Come Home For Christmas" for the first time. I love it, and I already rank it as a favourite. Don's vocal is fantastic!

As for traditional Christmas carols, I love "Silent Night" (it's the first song I ever learnt to play on the guitar), and "O Holy Night" is beautiful. I love the French version as done by the Belgian singer Helmut Lotti.

tbs fanatic
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
GA - I love The Pogues :D Are they still together?

I'm not sure what my fav Christmas song is. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to a Christmas song. I suppose the classic White Christmas would be among the top ones - sort of cheesy and cool at the same time - Ha!

rcknalwys
12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
One of my favorites is Please Come Home for Christmas of course. But my very favorite is It Came Upon a Midnight Clear because my Dad used to sing it to me when I was a little girl. Now I sing it to my granddaughter along with Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Up on the House Top. She just loves them, so they always bring a smile to my face, especially since I sang them with my daughters and son when they were growing up too. I can still remember those little voices going "ho ho ho" and the huge smiles on their faces. To be able to pass it on through 4 generations has made them special for all us.

DonFan
12-04-2007, 01:31 PM
I've just purchased The Eagles' "Very Best Of" double CD, and heard "Please Come Home For Christmas" for the first time. I love it, and I already rank it as a favourite. Don's vocal is fantastic!

You just heard this for the first time? Wow. :shock:
The Christmas season doesn't really begin for me until I have heard that familiar Bong-Bong-Bong-Bong and Don's voice croons "Bells will be ringing...." :heart:
My favorite classic rock station played that song just yesterday while I was running errands, and it brought a giant smile to my face as I listened!

While we are on this topic, you really should listen to the Eagles' song Funky New Year, too. It's not a classic like Please Come Home for Christmas :wink: , but it is worth it to me to hear Don's groans at the beginning of the song 8) and then to hear him say, "My hair hurts," and "Nurse, I'm worse," and "Whose shoes are these?" :drunk: :laugh:

Brooke
12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Great idea, Ga! I love most all the Christmas songs, but there are a few at the top of my list.

Of course, Please Come Home For Christmas by you know who reigns as most favorite! I do love it. It was great hearing it in a store a couple weeks ago and instantly made me smile.

I also love White Christmas by Bing Crosby, Go Tell It On The Mountain and Do You Hear What I Hear by our own church choir (they are really good and it's a small country church-attendance around 90).

I always think of my beloved Grandma when I hear Silent Night. It was her favorite and she passed away the day before Christmas Eve 12 years ago and I still miss her lots.

My Mom always said Silver Bells was her favorite and it's one of mine, too.

The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire) by Dean Martin or Karen Carpenter ranks way up there and also, Elvis' Blue Christmas.

Whenever I hear We Three Kings it makes me remember my 2nd grade Christmas program at school. During rehearsal me and 3 friends were swaying back and forth rather energetically during the "ooooh oooh, star of wonder, star of night, star of royal beauty bright" and our teacher came up and tapped each of us on the top of the head with her pen and said "Girls, straighten up!" :roll: We were having way too much fun!

And one more, when my kids were small we played a John Denver Christmas album that had a song on it called Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk This Christmas! They thought it was hilarious and just loved it and laughed while singing along!

And who can forget The Chipmunks Christmas Song and Elmer Fudd's?! :lol:

Uh oh, you've set me off! As you can tell, I love Christmas! :D

Freypower
12-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I am with GA on the Pogues' Fairytale of New York. It is THE classic Chirstmas song. They split up several years ago now.

My other Christmas favourites are the Pretenders' 2000 Miles, Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody and John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War Is Over). I'm afraid that I am one of the people for whom Please Come Home For Christmas does not work at all.

The only favourite carols I have are Hark The Herald Angels Sing and O Come All Ye Faithful. I'm sorry, but I'm not really that way inclined.

DonFan
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Is there a link somewhere to the Pogues' song? I've never heard of it.

Freypower
12-04-2007, 07:21 PM
These are the lyrics, but be warned, they are not for everyone.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pogues/fairytale+of+new+york_20109730.html

This is a performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

Maleah
12-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Well obviously I have to include Please Come Home For Christmas because...well.....Don is just fabulous on it!

Oh Holy Night - probably my favorite! There are several versions that I like, but Russ Lee's version is my favorite!

Silent Night - Such a pretty song when sang the right way! Russ Lee's version is again my fav.

I also like Go Tell It On The Mountain and Joy to the World (both of which have Russ Lee's as my favorite version as well hehe....yes...he did a Christmas album LOL)

Molly
12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I just went crazy on ITunes downloading my favorites this past weekend!

O Holy Night is probably my favorite traditional. Josh Groban's version is my favorite. Little Drummer Boy and Silent night, also.

I love Bing Crosby's White Christmas, but I think I like the Drifters version even more (the one that's in the movie "Home Alone").

Chuck Berry's "Run Run Rudolph" is fun. Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree".

I love Feliz Navidad because it brings back memories of my then 4 year old son singing louder than the rest of his pre-school class at his Christmas concert "Feliz La-di-da!!"

Freypower
12-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I would have thought Go Tell It On The Mountain was more just a straight gospel song rather than being associated with Christmas?

I know Feliz Navidad from hearing it everywhere I went in the US over Christmas 1988 in Los Angeles and San Antonio. There is also the German song O Tannenbaum (otherwise known as Oh Christmas Tree).

I do like We Three Kings, Oh Holy Night and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - but all the stuff about snow like Winter Wonderland doesn't cut much ice (pun intended) in the middle of an Australian summer.

DonFan
12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I would have thought Go Tell It On The Mountain was more just a straight gospel song rather than being associated with Christmas?
"Go tell it on the mountain that Jesus Christ is born..." sounds like Christmas to me.

Thanks for the link to the Pogues. You're right, that song isn't for everyone.

sodascouts
12-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Some people make fun of Celine Dion, but the woman does have an amazing voice. Here she is doing "O Holy Night" - at 4:28 I just get chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jr-2eyRtV4

Maleah
12-05-2007, 12:20 AM
In my neck of the woods "Go Tell It On The Mountain" was always considered a Christmas song...I guess I just assumed. Like DF said, it does talk about Jesus Christ being born, in fact....the entire song is about the birth.....which is what Christmas was originally intended to be about anyway

I would never make fun of Celine Dion Soda.....I think she is one of the most amazing vocalists I've ever heard! She was fantastic on the American Music Awards!

sodascouts
12-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Yes, Go Tell It on the Mountain was originally a Christmas song - it just got so popular as a spiritual it became fun for folks to sing it year-round. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

Have you guys heard the way BNL does "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" with Sarah McLachlan? I LOVE it! Here is a version of it - ignore the poor video and just listen to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unLYrtx8aKA

Glennsallnighter
12-05-2007, 06:49 AM
GA - I love The Pogues :D Are they still together?

I'm not sure what my fav Christmas song is. I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to a Christmas song. I suppose the classic White Christmas would be among the top ones - sort of cheesy and cool at the same time - Ha!

Well they played last Christmas at the Point so I presume they still are, or at least get together for 'specials' occasionally.

Yes I agree the lyrics aren't for all. I try to sanitise them in front of the 6 year old but she has a very musical ear!!

Mrs Frey
12-05-2007, 07:27 AM

You just heard this for the first time? Wow. :shock:
The Christmas season doesn't really begin for me until I have heard that familiar Bong-Bong-Bong-Bong and Don's voice croons "Bells will be ringing...." :heart:
My favorite classic rock station played that song just yesterday while I was running errands, and it brought a giant smile to my face as I listened!

While we are on this topic, you really should listen to the Eagles' song Funky New Year, too. It's not a classic like Please Come Home for Christmas :wink: , but it is worth it to me to hear Don's groans at the beginning of the song 8) and then to hear him say, "My hair hurts," and "Nurse, I'm worse," and "Whose shoes are these?" :drunk: :laugh:

Thanks for this, DF, but I don't know where to find the song. It sounds like fun, though!

I can imagine how you felt when you heard PCHFC on the radio! 8)

Mrs Frey
12-05-2007, 07:38 AM

I know Feliz Navidad from hearing it everywhere I went in the US over Christmas 1988 in Los Angeles and San Antonio. There is also the German song O Tannenbaum (otherwise known as Oh Christmas Tree).

I do like We Three Kings, Oh Holy Night and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - but all the stuff about snow like Winter Wonderland doesn't cut much ice (pun intended) in the middle of an Australian summer.

I actually heard "Go Tell It On The Mountain" for the first time on Helmut Lotti's Christmas album from 1998. Therefore I see it as a Christmas song. He also does "O Tannenbaum" on the album. He isn't well-known all over the world, but he's an excellent singer. He's credited his wanting to enter the music business to Elvis Presley, and this is particularly obvious when he sings GTIOTM.

I can understand your not being able to identify with the wintry references in many Christmas songs, since it's summer in South Africa in December too. I still enjoy those songs, though.

I wish Glenn :heart: had recorded a Christmas song!

Mrs Frey
12-05-2007, 07:43 AM
The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire) by Dean Martin or Karen Carpenter ranks way up there and also, Elvis' Blue Christmas.

Thank you, Brooke! When I put in my first post yesterday under this topic, I just couldn't get to the name of "The Christmas Song" (and it's so obvious - LOL!), so I left it out! :blush: Now that you've reminded me of the title, I have to include Nat 'King' Cole's version of it as among my favourites. It was one of my mom's favourites, too - she loved anything by Nat 'King' Cole. I'm glad you also like "Blue Christmas"! 8)

DonFan
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Mrs F, Funky New Year is the B side on Please Come Home for Christmas, and I think the boxed sets are only places you can hear it. It was included in the black Eagles box set last year, and there is another live version that was recorded at the Eagles' Millennium shows in the Selected Works box set.

sodascouts
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's a live version from a Las Vegas Millennium show (not the officially released one):

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/FunkyNewYearLasVegas99.mp3

tbs fanatic
12-05-2007, 02:36 PM

This is a performance:

To be off subject for a second - While watching the video I noticed the Pogues - And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda - my fav, fav, fav Pogues song.

DonFan
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for putting the Funky New Year clip up, Soda. It is one of my fondest wishes that they will eventually release the entire Millennium show on video someday.

While I like Don's cute little "broke up, got back together" comments on this version, I must admit I like his adlibs at the end of the original version better! 8)

Perfect Little Sister
12-05-2007, 04:33 PM

I actually heard "Go Tell It On The Mountain" for the first time on Helmut Lotti's Christmas album from 1998. Therefore I see it as a Christmas song. He also does "O Tannenbaum" on the album. He isn't well-known all over the world, but he's an excellent singer. He's credited his wanting to enter the music business to Elvis Presley, and this is particularly obvious when he sings GTIOTM.

I can understand your not being able to identify with the wintry references in many Christmas songs, since it's summer in South Africa in December too. I still enjoy those songs, though.

I wish Glenn :heart: had recorded a Christmas song!

I spent my teen years in Arizona. We have a pic of my dad on Christmas day lying in the sun (in just a pair of shorts) with a jar of sun tea brewing next to him. lol I've lived the rest of my life in the California Bay Area so I've never had a white Christmas either. :shrug:

Brooke
12-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Go Tell It On The Mountain has always been a Christmas song to me. That's the only time of year I ever hear it. Our choir also likes to do Tell Me The Old Old Story at Christmas time too. My first thought was it wasn't a Christmas song, but after listening to the lyrics, yes, it is.

I've always lived where I have all four seasons, so I can't imagine a warm/sandy Christmas!

Freypower
12-05-2007, 09:10 PM

This is a performance:

To be off subject for a second - While watching the video I noticed the Pogues - And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda - my fav, fav, fav Pogues song.

Is it reallly? Then I guess you can understand how Australians feel about that song. I love thier version too. My favourite song by them though is Thousands Are Sailing.

OK, back to Christmas songs. :blush:

Brooke
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Finally got to listen to the Pogues!

I think I can live without it! :lol:

sodascouts
12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for putting the Funky New Year clip up, Soda. It is one of my fondest wishes that they will eventually release the entire Millennium show on video someday.

While I like Don's cute little "broke up, got back together" comments on this version, I must admit I like his adlibs at the end of the original version better! 8)

Those crack me up, too!

I'm afraid the Pogues song is not for me either, but to each her own.

glenneaglesfan
12-06-2007, 06:14 AM
I love the Pogues song - it must be the Celt in me. I can't help but like Slade as well, and Springsteen's version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town, especially a live version I heard last year. The Band Aid song is fun to pick out the voices. Jethro Tull's Ring Out Solstice Bells, though not exactly a Christmas song, is a good one on my compilation disc.

Of the traditional carols, I like most of the traditional favourites such as Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Once In Royal David's City, O Little Town of Bethlehem. I used to sing in a choir so enjoy cracking out the descants if no one is listening. I think my favourite, though, is In The Bleak Midwinter, the version by Harold Darke. I you don't know it, there is a version here:
http://www.coronostro.com/recordings.htm
(Scroll down to Music for Christmas 2005)

sodascouts
12-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey, Lucy Walsh is getting in on the action! If you go to her MySpace, you can hear her rendition of "The Holly and the Ivy."

http://www.myspace.com/lucywalsh

TimothyBFan
12-11-2012, 02:57 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread. I've been listening to the Holy station on Sirius the last couple of days and have been hearing some of my favorite rock Christmas songs (I Saw Mamma Kissing Santa Claus by Mellencamp, Little Drummer Boy by Bob Segar, etc... ) and some of the old songs I remember so much as a child by Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Doris Day, Andy Williams, etc....

What are some of yours?

prayfordaylight
12-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Some of my favorite non-traditional songs:

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping
Elton John - Step Into Christmas
Tom Petty - Christmas All Over Again
Emerson Lake and Palmer - I Believe In Father Christmas

Brooke
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Last Christmas by Wham!
Marshmallow World by Dean Martin
Blue Christmas by Elvis

And of course, Please Come Home For Christmas by ? :hmm: :lol:

Freypower
12-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Mine are listed earlier in the thread.

zeldabjr
12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I think my favorite rock Christmas song is Billy Squier's "Christmas is the time to say I love you"

EaglesKiwi
12-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Oooh, Christmas music!

Some of my favourites are:

Stevie Nicks: Silent Night (a favourite for many years, I now have it from iTunes as well as a vinyl copy of A Very Special Christmas)
Eagles: PCHFC (forever linked to hearing them live)
David Bowie/Bing Crosby: Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth (I think the simplicity of Little Drummer Boy works really well here)
O Holy Night (many versions, usually done as a solo showcase, but I also enjoy a version done by the Corrs - think I found it on YouTube)

Every Christmas season I need to listen to Snoopy vs The Red Baron. It is SO overplayed here, but Christmas just wouldn't be the same without hearing it at least once.

Also the Salvation Army brass band(s) playing some of the really traditional carols. They fundraise outside supermarkets and shopping centres, and I always stop to listen through several songs before putting my money in the bucket. :) Another essential part of Christmas.

TimothyBFan
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Oooh, Christmas music!

Every Christmas season I need to listen to Snoopy vs The Red Baron. It is SO overplayed here, but Christmas just wouldn't be the same without hearing it at least once.

I've actually heard this several times on Sirius Holly the last couple of days. I had forgotten all about it.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-12-2012, 09:31 AM
ooh well where to start...

"all i want for xmas is you" by the great darlene love(every year on new years eve she sings it on the david letterman show) Love the song but love this womans voice such an iconic legend)

"please come home for christmas" -the eagles-----so romantic

"Do they know its christmas time"....band aide...( aong created and released in my generation and I remember it when)

the waitresses..."christmas wrapping "
JIM CROCE DOESNT HAVE TO BE TIS WAY

fAVe cds are :
mariah carey the first one
home for christmas by hall and oates
Harry connick
James taylor

Glennsallnighter
12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm still running with 'FairyTale Of New York' as my favourite. Others I love to hear are
'Please Come Home For Christmas'
'I'll be Home For Christmas'
'Merry Christmas Everyone'

My kids love 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer' which they play on our Christmas fm radio. Anyone else heard of it?

http://youtu.be/TfSb6J4jhcU

Brooke
12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Ga, oh yes, GGROBAR is a standard here too! :lol:

Another one I love is Merry Christmas, Darling by Karen Carpenter. Love her voice!

sodascouts
12-15-2012, 11:32 PM
One I've been hearing lately that I like is "Cold December Night" by Michael Buble.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Now for the Flip side.
What are your top 5 favorite holiday songs?

1) Please come home for Christmas-- Eagles version

2) Merry Christmas Baby Darleen Love

3) Silent Night - Stevie Nicks version

4) Christmas Must be tonight-Hall and Oates (actually I love the whole cd!!)

5) Step into Christmas- Elton John

sodascouts
12-04-2013, 08:00 PM
TT, I went ahead and merged your thread with an older one about the same topic. To narrow mine down to five:

"O Holy Night"

"I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" (Kate Smith version)

"Do You Hear What I Hear"

"Sleigh Ride"

"Last Christmas"

Tiffanny Twisted
12-04-2013, 08:02 PM
thanks Nancy ..:thumbsup:

Freypower
12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I will repost what I posted earlier in the thread.

My favourite Christmas songs are Fairytale Of New York (Pogues), 2000 Miles (Pretenders) & Merry Xmas Everybody (Slade). I used to love Happy Xmas (War Is Over) but I got tired of it. My favourite carols are Hark The Herald Angels Sing, O Come All Ye Faithful, O Little Town of Bethlehem & We Three Kings.

Australian comedian/musician Tim Minchin has a song called White Wine In The Sun about celebrating family Christmases down here. It is somewhat easier for me to relate to than songs like Winter Wonderland.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-04-2013, 10:30 PM
I just realized I had never posted previously posted in this thread. Mine would have to be ...

O Holy Night
Please Come Home for Christmas
I'll Be Home for Christmas
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
Blue Christmas

Jonny Come Lately
12-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Given that we're into December now I thought this seemed like a good time to bump this thread. I will go into a bit more detail about some of my favourites later when I have more time, but for now I will say that I think my tastes are perhaps a bit unusual because I like a lot of the traditional songs but also like a lot of the rock songs, whether they are on the quirkier side or more straightforward. The big production pop songs don't do that much for me, although there are a few exceptions that I do enjoy.

One amusing story I do have is that when I was on holiday in Italy this summer on a coach trip on an extremely hot day (35+ degrees Celsius). There was music on in the coach, mostly 'oldies' but then Dean Martin's Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow starting playing. Rarely has a lyric seemed less appropriate or resonant as 'the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful' did! :hilarious:

I noticed there were a couple of threads on this subject, but I decided to bump this one because I felt it opened discussion for all types of Christmas songs, not just pop and rock.

AlreadyGone95
12-03-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm also odd in my favorite Christmas songs. My favorite one is You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch. I'm not a big fan of traditional carols. I grew up singing them, and they strike me as dated. I don't like pop Christmas songs much. I like ones like Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer etc. The classic songs from the 30s-70s. I also like some of the stuff like Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Freypower
12-03-2015, 06:50 PM
I have another one I forgot to mention when the thread was started - Greg Lake's I Believe In Father Christmas; but it's not really a celebration song.

Jonny Come Lately
12-03-2015, 07:07 PM
^ I love that one too FP. I agree it's not a celebration song, but it's a great tune as well and is one of my favourites. He was also unlucky to release it when Bohemian Rhapsody came out.

I mentioned that I like traditional songs and I like the rockier Christmas tunes as well, so perhaps it's unsurprising that one of my favourites is Mike Oldfield's instrumental version of In Dulci Jubilo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIUlEUWKloM

I might as well admit this honestly now... I actually really like Bob Dylan's Christmas album! I will admit he does mangle one or two of the carols, but I love his versions of Must Be Santa, Christmas Island and Here Comes Santa Claus in particular.

I also have to say I really enjoy this 'Yuletide Zeppelin' mashup that someone has put up on Youtube - essentially it's a mix of Led Zeppelin riffs with the melodies of traditional or classic Christmas tunes (mostly carols). It's definitely not for everyone but I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCXuyIXOj08

I actually have a separate iTunes library where I keep my Christmas music, I currently have about 44 songs. I think I need to add some more but I usually add a few each year, either songs I've not heard before or old favourites I've remembered about. Additionally, my old 8GB iPod nano has also found a second life as a festive MP3 player which I only sync with this library, leaving my other library (which has over 1100 tracks in) and main iPod untouched. There are a couple of non-festive tunes on there - these are Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 (my flimsy justification for this is that it was a UK Christmas number one single!) and Mark Knopfler's Local Hero theme.

Jonny Come Lately
12-06-2016, 06:55 PM
After noticing that the Christmas version of the Never Ending Song Game was restarted, I thought it might be timely to reboot this thread too! Although I posted in this thread last year, I didn't post a 'favourites' list as such, so I'll try to change that.

One thing that does slightly depress me to think about is that there used to be more Christmas songs that I enjoyed - as I've listened to more music and better music during the year than I used to stuff that. The ones that I do love though, I love as much as ever.

A few particular favourites of mine:
Must Be Santa - Bob Dylan (seriously, yes! I don't care what anyone says, it's great!)
Please Come Home For Christmas - Bon Jovi, obviously. NOT! Eagles all the way!
I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
Fairytale of New York - The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl
Driving Home For Christmas - Chris Rea

I like Ring Out Solstice Bells by Jethro Tull a lot, but I think it's more 'Winter' than strictly 'Christmas'.

As far as I'm concerned, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without White Christmas by Bing Crosby or Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow by Dean Martin though!

A few interpretations of traditional songs/carols that I really like:
In The Bleak Midwinter - Bert Jansch
In Dulcio Jubilo - Mike Oldfield
Gaudete - Steeleye Span

As for carols, I've never really thought about ordering them as such, although I am fond of Once In Royal David's City, Silent Night and O Come All Ye Faithful.

Freypower
12-06-2016, 07:10 PM
Blood On The Rooftops by Genesis is an EXTREMELY British song about Christmas.

Dark and grey, an English film, the Wednesday play
We always watch the Queen on Christmas Day
Won't you stay?

Though your eyes see shipwrecked sailors you're still dry
The outlook's fine though Wales might have some rain
Saved again.

I won't post the rest of the lyrics because some may not find them very 'seasonal'.

Delilah
12-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Call me corny but I like the more traditional Christmas songs. There are some versions I prefer.

In no particular order,

1. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
2. Oh Holy Night - Martina McBride
3. It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas - Kate Smith
4. A Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
5. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow - Lee Greenwood
6. O Come O Come, Emmanuel - lots of good versions, inc. Sovereign Grace
7. Mary Did You Know - lots of good versions, a fairly recent one by Pentatonix is just beautiful
8. I'll Be Home for Christmas - the Carpenters
9. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Judy Garland
10. Hard Candy Christmas -Dolly Parton (though not really a Christmas song per se)
11.Selections from "The Nutcracker": Overture Miniature, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, Valse Des Fleurs - the Carpenters
12. Run, Run Rudolph - Kelly Clarkson

Honorable mention: that all-time classic, "Redneck 12 Days of Christmas" - Jeff Foxworthy :grin:

buffyfan145
12-07-2016, 10:01 PM
I tend to prefer the classics too and even more so since I was in choir from 3rd grade (when I was 8 ) till my senior year of high school and our Christmas concerts were some of my favorites. For most of these I prefer the 40s/50s version but for others I'll write the artists of the version I do like better.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (My personal favorite no matter who sings it.)
White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Let it Snow - Dean Martin
Blue Christmas - Elvis
Please Come Home for Christmas - Eagles
The Christmas Song/Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire -Nat King Cole
Winter Wonderland - Annie Lennox
Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney
Happy Xmas/War is Over - John Lennon and Yoko Ono
Silent Night
O Holy Night
O Come All Ye Faithful
I'll Be Home for Christmas
It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
Do They Know it's Christmas - Band Aid
You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch
Frosty the Snowman
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee
Sleigh Ride
Do You Hear What I Hear
Jingle Bell Rock
Little Saint Nick - The Beach Boys
Here Comes Santa Claus - Elvis
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - John Mellencamp
Christmas Time is Here - The Chipmunks
Run Run Rudolph - Chuck Berry
Father Christmas - The Kinks (This song cracked me up as a kid and is one of my Dad's favorites.)
Glow - Brett Eldredge (New song he released this year but done in the style of Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin/Bing Crosby.)

Glennsallnighter
12-28-2016, 12:28 PM
One that I have really latched onto this year is 'Christmas Sfuff' by Nathan Carter

NightMistBlue
12-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Blood On The Rooftops by Genesis is an EXTREMELY British song about Christmas.

Dark and grey, an English film, the Wednesday play
We always watch the Queen on Christmas Day
Won't you stay?

Though your eyes see shipwrecked sailors you're still dry
The outlook's fine though Wales might have some rain
Saved again.

I won't post the rest of the lyrics because some may not find them very 'seasonal'.

Oh my! That's worse than "Father Christmas" by the Kinks :) I'm ready for some anti-Christmas music at this point. I drove myself mad yesterday by compulsively singing "We Need a Little Christmas;" I couldn't stop it.