PDA

View Full Version : Former Eagles will not be honored by the Kennedy Center later this year.

WalshGirl
09-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Has anyone followed this story? Anyway, it appears only the four main Eagles will be honored later this year. The article reads, in part:

Apparently, it’s not just the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that creates controversy over which former members of a band can be honored. The Kennedy Center has responded to a petition that sought to include ex-Eagles Don Felder, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner when the band receives the Kennedy Center Honors later this year.

Despite 10,301 signatures, the petition has been denied after running it by the surviving members of the band. In a statement on the petition’s official change.org page, Brandon Butler, who started the movement, forwarded a statement by Kennedy Center President Deborah Rutter.

It read, “The Kennedy Center consulted with the Eagles and through that discussion, it was determined that the four band members who ‘carried the torch’ — Don Henley, the late Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, and Joe Walsh — will be awarded the Honors. We appreciate that there will be some debate about who constitutes the Eagles. This determination does not discredit the contributions of former band members.”

Read More: Former Eagles Will Not Receive Kennedy Center Honors | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-kennedy-center-honors-petition/?trackback=tsmclip

Freypower
09-19-2016, 07:03 PM
We have a topic on this.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5783

WalshGirl
09-19-2016, 11:16 PM
We have a topic on this.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5783

Thank you! :)

Delilah
09-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Has anyone followed this story? Anyway, it appears only the four main Eagles will be honored later this year. The article reads, in part:

Read More: Former Eagles Will Not Receive Kennedy Center Honors | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles-kennedy-center-honors-petition/?trackback=tsmclip

Walshgirl, I wish I had posted my comment about the petition here like you did. I welcome those posts relating specifically to this topic being moved here. That way it won't bring down the vibe of what's supposed to be a celebratory thread, as someone else pointed out, and those who have opted out of that thread don't have to feel excluded. Meanwhile, those of us who are sad and disappointed by the petition can express ourselves without the snipes and insults.

Btw, thanks for the link. Some pretty strong opinions are expressed in the comments.

East Texas Girl
09-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Would love to see them all honored in this way, especially the founding members; but alas it is not my call. We just have to remember that without the input from all 7 of the Eagles they would not have the success they have today. Thanks for all the music they have provided us over the years!

UndertheWire
10-15-2016, 09:08 AM
I've listened to recent interviews with Timothy, Joe and Don Henley and although they seem fine when talking about their solo projects, when it comes to the Eagles and Glenn, they still sound wounded. It's a reminder of how close they were and that they probably think of the four of them as a unit and are maybe not ready to consider the bigger picture.

UndertheWire
10-17-2016, 08:23 AM
I'm quoting part of a post from the Felder press thread.

I finding it upsetting that three Eagles who were part of the band in its most artistic and productive period are not included in the honors. I feel upset that the current group feels they are "carrying the torch" and aren't honest enough with themselves to admit that the torch was lit a long time ago and every single one of those guys struck a match.

Mostly I'm upset that the best selling, most accomplished American band won't take the high road and allow each member to be honored, that they can't see what a statement they could make by honoring the best of each of them and letting go of the worst. That's what really makes me sad, and it disappoints me that fans want to carry some of the same old wounds and attack each other and Members of the Eagles. JMO
I don't find it helpful to get upset over something over which I have no control. Would I have liked to see all seven honoured? Yes, but it's not going to happen and there's nothing I can do to change that so I've moved on.

I know there were people who tried to make a change by organising that petition, but from the start I've thought that it would only harden attitudes. It's like with children when the more you push them to say "sorry" or "thank you", the more entrenched they become. Generally, an approach that allows everyone to save face will be more successful.

The problem with the petition is that the organisers and its supporters made it a battle that they were trying to "win" on behalf of Felder, Meisner and Leadon and see Henley and Frey defeated. In doing so, they've ensured that everyone loses.

What noone can stop is for each of us to honour whoever we choose. If you watch the tributes, there is nothing to stop you including the other band members in your thoughts. Hopefully, the introduction will cover the entire band.

As for social media, particularly Don Felder's Facebook page, I'm always amazed by the ignorance of those fans who seem to believe the band starts and ends with Hotel California.

sodascouts
10-17-2016, 09:58 PM
No online petition was going to change anything. Those things are a dime a dozen, and if you don't get at least 100,000 signatures, you're not considered worth noting. This one got some press because Felder himself promoted it and it was still unable to get anywhere near that number.

Regardless, as I said, it was never going to change anything. The Kennedy Center is not a popular awards ceremony driven by the desires of the fans. It owes nothing to the fans. It is for the artists.

I do feel bad for the other former Eagles, but I understand the decision. I hope people can accept it and move on.

Witchy Woman
10-17-2016, 11:23 PM
The way I see it is that Meisner and Leadon left of their own accord, and Felder was fired. They were NOT current members of The Eagles. Bernie was a guest on the HOTE tour. And if Glenn had not died he would still be a member. So it is absolutely appropriate to include him in the honor. Felder can go fornicate himself. If he had appreciated what he had he would still have been a member, instead of being a whiny little bitch because he got left out. He has a lot of nerve to be so glib and self entitled. His hubris is both amusing and sad.

Eagles7
10-18-2016, 01:21 AM
That's a crude post WW. ...and people are complaining about and posting rude remarks from fans on Felder's site? Looks like it goes both ways.

I don't get people being Eagle fans and speaking disparagingly about any of the members?

VillageGirl
10-18-2016, 04:11 AM
That's a crude post WW. ...and people are complaining about and posting rude remarks from fans on Felder's site? Looks like it goes both ways.

I don't get people being Eagle fans and speaking disparagingly about any of the members?

I agree. That was rude and unnecessary WW.

I rarely post or visit this site anymore, as I feel there is a double standard.

You fit right in as long as you worship Frey or Henley, but Heaven forbid Felder comes up, you're likely going to get ripped up one side and down the other.

It's starting to become cruel.

Delilah
10-18-2016, 11:40 AM
I don't find it helpful to get upset over something over which I have no control.

Neither is it helpful to get upset over what complete strangers say in the comments section on Felder's Facebook page, another thing over which we have no control. However, because we are humans and not robots, we are going to be upset when we believe something is unfair and unjust, especially when it comes at the expense of people we love and admire. It would be helpful to be able express these emotions, especially in a forum titled "Former Eagles," without tacitly being told to shut up about it.

It stands to reason those of us who are disappointed by this will move on and get over it. It is hardly the crisis of the century. What is NOT helpful is being told to get over it all the while pouring salt into the wound by referring to the petition as pointless or childish, or nothing more than a vehicle to "defeat" Henley or Frey.

No doubt many people signed the petition knowing it would not effect any real change, but we did it to make our voices heard and to stand up for three people we believe to be to be very talented musicians--singers, songwriters, instrumentalists--who played their own substantial roles in the success of the band and are part of the reason why the band made such a cultural impact. At the very least it did raise awareness and helped remind people that yes, indeed, there were 3 other Eagles and they still matter to a whole lot of fans.

Delilah
10-18-2016, 12:01 PM

I don't get why people who dislike Don Felder so much go to his/former Eagles thread at all. It's one thing to vent, but the nitpicking that goes on...even the way he smiles gets slammed. Same for those who don't care about the former members...what's the point of coming to the "Former Members" forum just to repeat what's already been said elsewhere? It's like those of us who are fans of the former members need to be put in our place or something. I'm beginnng to understand VillageGirl's position.

Witchy Woman
10-18-2016, 12:34 PM

You fit right in as long as you worship Frey or Henley, but Heaven forbid Felder comes up, you're likely going to get ripped up one side and down the other.

No. What's cruel is to continuously try to interject yourself into situations with people who clearly want nothing to do with you, and are still mourning the loss of their friend and colleague. Glenn died ? Well !! Why wasn't I invited to his funeral so that I could honor him ? Kennedy Center Honors ? Well !! I deserve it as much as everyone else !! So what I sued them ? So what they can't even call me by my first name ? I demand to be there, and I will start a petition to make sure I get there !! Yeah, not cruel at all.

He clearly doesn't care if he's hurting Cindy and the kids. He clearly doesn't care if he's hurting the band, their families, and other loved ones. He wants his accolades, his pats on the back. He even made sure to boo hoo on the HOTE DVD, so that everyone would feel bad for poor widdle Don. You don't see Randy or Bernie pubically making a stink about it. That's because they have respect and are willing to accept the fact that they will not be honored. He's a disgrace, and should be ashamed of himself for acting like a selfish jerk. If he really wants to honor Glenn he should keep his mouth shut, and go quietly into the night.

VillageGirl
10-18-2016, 12:56 PM
By cruel, I wasn't referring to the treatment of Felder by the Eagles or the public.. I was referring to those of us on here who have an appreciation for all 7 Eagles and at times feel ostracized when we go to discuss them in the appropriate former member threads, yet still people have to join in to make nasty, unwarranted comments.

Your rage is somewhat out of control and until you can get your emotions in check and act dignified, I have no interest in conversing with you. I feel sorry for you. I really do.

sodascouts
10-18-2016, 08:52 PM
If fans want to vent about this, I understand it, and I apologize that my post about the ineffectiveness of the petition and my statement that people should move on came off as dismissive. Your feelings and opinions are valid and should be respected.

It's true that we should all avoid calling band members names, regardless of how frustrated we are with them.

I can understand the desire for a "safe zone" where no one disagrees with you. This thread is not going to be the place for that, though, because it's a very controversial subject.

Indeed, Felder is a controversial figure. That's why there's so much conflict and drama in this forum - there's practically none for Randy and even less for Bernie, but not so for Felder. People want to discuss his statements. They want to discuss his book, his interviews, his social media posts... all of which are controversial. Thus, what is said is not going to be universally positive. Far from it because as has been noted, emotions are very high.

Therefore, the demand that the entirety of the forum should be nothing but positive posts is an unrealistic one.

Perhaps we could start a thread entitled something like "Favorite Things About Don Felder" and I can make it clear from the outset that that particular thread is only for positive posts. How does that sound?

WalshFan88
10-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Therefore, the demand that the entirety of the forum should be nothing but positive posts is an unrealistic one.

Agreed Soda.

I think it would be nice if everyone kept from making snide remarks about any member or especially a poster but keeping certain people from posting in a certain section or trying to control them and their comments isn't a good solution and is counterproductive.

travlnman2
10-18-2016, 09:18 PM
There are nk Safe Spaces on the internet. Juilian Assange proved that lol.

I have seen far worse on other boards and thats why I am here alot of forums lack respect and integrity but this is the one exception and I would like to keep it like that. This by far one of he best forums on the internet.:cheers:

Witchy Woman
10-19-2016, 12:22 AM
By cruel, I wasn't referring to the treatment of Felder by the Eagles or the public.. I was referring to those of us on here who have an appreciation for all 7 Eagles and at times feel ostracized when we go to discuss them in the appropriate former member threads, yet still people have to join in to make nasty, unwarranted comments.

Your rage is somewhat out of control and until you can get your emotions in check and act dignified, I have no interest in conversing with you. I feel sorry for you. I really do.

I have no rage towards Felder. I pity him, really. His pathetic attempts at making himself relevant again warrant it. I'm sure I'll be just fine without further conversation with you.

maryc2130
10-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Soda, that's a very generous offer and more than fair.

In this thread (and really any other one), it would be nice if people kept their comments (positive and negative) about the band members and not insult the board members for having the opinions that they hold.

Delilah
10-19-2016, 07:31 PM
If fans want to vent about this, I understand it, and I apologize that my post about the ineffectiveness of the petition and my statement that people should move on came off as dismissive. Your feelings and opinions are valid and should be respected.

Thank you for this Soda; thanks for understanding.

VillageGirl
10-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Yes, thank you very much Soda. It is very much appreciated.

sodascouts
10-23-2016, 10:32 PM
There are nk Safe Spaces on the internet. Juilian Assange proved that lol.

I have seen far worse on other boards and thats why I am here alot of forums lack respect and integrity but this is the one exception and I would like to keep it like that. This by far one of he best forums on the internet.:cheers:

Aw. Thank you so much!

Buttercup
11-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Somethings never change!!!

Delilah
12-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Well, not only were the former Eagles not honored, they were not even acknowledged. While I figured it would be something of a miracle if their names were mentioned, I did think showing a few early pictures of the band would at least be some kind of nod, an admission that they existed.

That wasn't the case. The KCH seemed to take pains at making sure these 3 were shown as little as possible. They were cropped out of footage and pictures. There was one photo that showed the original 4; it was from the '73 Voorburg concert and the images of Glenn and Don were brightened while Randy and Bernie's were darker. There was a photo from the '74 California Jam that showed a view from behind; you can see the back of Henley's head as well as Glenn's and Bernie's. That's it. Don Felder fared worse. There was one picture of him where he's onstage at the '77 Capital Center concert with the others; it's a side view of his face. Of course, these images were shown quickly.

This was so disappointing. A person totally new to the band could see this and surmise that the early Eagles were nothing more than Frey and Henley and a couple of anonymous backing musicians. So misleading and so dishonest. This was a letdown by the KCH who I suppose were embarrassed by the petition. Or maybe they were under strict orders by Henley and Azoff to do it this way. I'm not sure what to think anymore. :confused::shrug:

Now that this is over, I am hopeful this Revisionism that's been going on for awhile will fall by the wayside, as new and younger fans come to discover this great BAND (not duo). Ok, rant over.

NightMistBlue
12-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Oh my, that's terrible. I thought at least the contributions of the other members - what did you call them? The Three Who Must Not Be Named - would be acknowledged. Very unfortunate.

I too hope this attempt to rewrite history is not a sign of things to come.

East Texas Girl
12-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Although I would have loved for them to be mentioned, I was not surprised that they were not what with all that has been said. But I was kind of surprised they did show glimpses of them in videos and pictures, I was not expecting any reference at all.

I do feel that the whole Eagles segment was rushed as someone mentioned elsewhere.

chaim
12-29-2016, 08:21 AM
I don't know what went on, but if the former members were totally ignored, that's sad and not cool IMO. Although it's probably fine by Bernie.

Delilah
12-29-2016, 03:16 PM
I don't know what went on, but if the former members were totally ignored, that's sad and not cool IMO. Although it's probably fine by Bernie.

Chaim, here is a video showing the photo montage from the ceremony so you can decide for yourself. Hopefully you can access it. There's a picture of the OOTN lineup about 30 seconds in that I overlooked, plus a couple of others of Don F from the HC and LR tours. So it's a little better than I initially thought, but not by much.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xhfZMe53MnI

NightMistBlue
12-29-2016, 03:24 PM
It was a bit strange, so many photos and videos featuring just Don H and Glenn only, as if they were on their own.

Delilah
12-29-2016, 03:44 PM
It was a bit strange, so many photos and videos featuring just Don H and Glenn only, as if they were on their own.

Exactly! Not cool, KCH :fingerwag:

UndertheWire
12-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Disappointing. I wonder who put together the tribute. It won't have been the honourees.

Funk 50
12-30-2016, 12:42 PM
I think Joe said the KCH award would be a fitting closure for the band. I don't agree.

I brought up the subject of iconic images in a thread about the Hotel California album, saying I have very few recent iconic images of the Eagles.

Well KCH has given me, what could be the closing image of the band. Sat in the audience, privileged seats mind, incomplete but families present, suited, clapping and waving, gurning for the cameras, wearing some kind of award with awful looking multi coloured ribbons hung round their necks. They may have been wearing name tags too.

I remember when it was all about the music....
When Pete Townsend wrote "Hope I die before I get old" I think he meant he never wanted to become an associate of the corporate establishment. Well the Eagles are now embracing that with open arms.

Maybe it's a fitting end for the band members but it's a very unsatisfactory closure for this fan. At the end everybody except Glenn and Don became marginalized.

NightMistBlue
12-30-2016, 12:49 PM
I don't disagree with you, Mr. Funk. While I was pleased to read that Timothy enjoyed the KCH ceremonies, my impression was that (at least the broadcast portion we saw) made him and Joe look like sidemen. But at least they were acknowledged, which is more than one can say for The Three Who Must Not Be Named.

Freypower
12-30-2016, 05:30 PM
I think Joe said the KCH award would be a fitting closure for the band. I don't agree.

I brought up the subject of iconic images in a thread about the Hotel California album, saying I have very few recent iconic images of the Eagles.

Well KCH has given me, what could be the closing image of the band. Sat in the audience, privileged seats mind, incomplete but families present, suited, clapping and waving, gurning for the cameras, wearing some kind of award with awful looking multi coloured ribbons hung round their necks. They may have been wearing name tags too.

When Pete Townsend wrote "Hope I die before I get old" I think he meant he never wanted to become an associate of the corporate establishment. Well the Eagles are now embracing that with open arms.

Maybe it's a fitting end for the band members but it's a very unsatisfactory closure for this fan. At the end everybody except Glenn and Don became marginalized.

Even for you this is very harsh.

Should they not have accepted the honour? Or 'some kind of award' as you call it, when it was explained to you on numerous occasions by American Borderers how prestigious it is. What were they supposed to do? Like it or not it is a formal occasion & they were required to dress formallly. I don't see how receiving this honour makes them part of the 'corporate establishment'.

Also, they were doing it for Glenn. He was excited & proud of this.

You say it's 'very unsatisfactory closure'. OK. I do actually see what you mean by this, believe it or not. Sadly, the events of last January meant that there could never BE a 'satisfactory' closure. It can't be about the music any more because that is over.

As for the omission of the three former members during the tiribute I can understand the disappointment of some here, but I would prefer not to comment further.

FreyFollower
12-30-2016, 11:19 PM
I thought this thread was about wanting to see Bernie, Don F and Randy to be recognized at KCH. Would they be dismissed as glib, suit-wearing establishment huggers if they had been able to attend?

UndertheWire
12-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Interesting comparison. Would you judge Pete Townsend by his own words, too? If so, here he is "embracing" with open arms (and you'll probably want to skip the first minute): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgkImkPbJhE

Apologies to fans of Bernie, Randy and Don F for continuing on this side-track. However, you can look at the way the members of The Who who were not named Townsend or Daltry were handled. The award was for Daltry and Townsend, not the band and although Keith Moon and John Entwhistle were shown in the mini-bio, they were very much sidelined. Even to the point of using "their drummer" and "their bassist" when describing their deaths.

I'm glad that "Eagles" were honoured rather identifying individuals. Going from the KCH introduction and after seeing the Townsend/Daltry one, it seems that the Kennedy Center might have been just as happy with making it Henley/Frey.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Ok anyway you slice it there are no winners here.

Glenn has passed away . He was such a driving force and. Probably the reason why there was even a band.

I think what ever they did it was gonna upset some and make others happy people.

Really folks there are no winners here
Glenn has passed and the band as well.
He would have wanted it to go on ,I am sure.
I'm glad they were honored in what ever way it turned out !
It did my heart good to see them all happy in the box with the president and their wifes and cindy and taylor.

I have my opinions about don felder and it really is irrelvent here. I think his true colors show througheven way back from the begining . Somepeople are impressed with their own significance and how important they thimk they are .( this applies to many people)
It is what it is

travlnman2
12-31-2016, 04:18 PM
Interesting comparison. Would you judge Pete Townsend by his own words, too? If so, here he is "embracing" with open arms (and you'll probably want to skip the first minute): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgkImkPbJhE

Apologies to fans of Bernie, Randy and Don F for continuing on this side-track. However, you can look at the way the members of The Who who were not named Townsend or Daltry were handled. The award was for Daltry and Townsend, not the band and although Keith Mood and John Entwhistle were shown in the mini-bio, they were very much sidelined. Even to the point of using "their drummer" and "their bassist" when describing their deaths.

I'm glad that "Eagles" were honoured rather identifying individuals. Going from the KCH introduction and after seeing the Townsend/Daltry one, it seems that the Kennedy Center might have been just as happy with making it Henley/Frey.

This year was more like Led Zepplin being honered without Bonzo but like Felder, Randy and Betnie he was made sure to not be sidelined

Vector
01-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Wow, it has been about 3 years since I last came to this forum and so much has changed. The biggest and of course saddest news is the passing of Frey just about a year ago. I thought of coming back then, but had lost track of the forum for a spell, and was not really in any type of mood to think about the loss. Poor Meisner also had his share of heartache losing his wife to the tragic accident.

I must say that having just watched a few snippets of the Kennedy Award show where the former band members were not invited, really is another new low.
It of course was appropriate to have Frey's wife there to represent him. However, I read a few weeks prior that Henley had made the decision not to include Leadon, Meisner, nor Felder for the ceremony, which is sadly typical of him.
Even Frey's passing and thus staring his own mortality in the mirror didn't allow Henley to get past his own pettiness.

For all we know, poor Randy might not have been healthy enough (physically or mentally) to attend, but he still should have been invited. The same is true of Leadon and Felder. The Eagles would obviously never have been as successful for it not for those three members.
Thus it was very fitting to have all 7 of them together at the R&R HOF induction.
This time around it should have been all 6, with Frey represented via his family.

It really sickens me to think my favorite band no longer holds the same respect I use to have for them. This last bit of disrespect and pettiness toward the rest of the group is beyond explanation. Even the biggest Henley apologist cannot defend it with a straight face.
Needless to say this comment does not apply to every member equally, though each has their own shortcomings/faults (except maybe Timmy) :mrgreen:
If Joe & Timmy had a say/vote, I'd bet they would have overruled Henley and said lets invite everyone. But with Henley now being the sole owner of the Eagle's franchise, doing the right thing was not going to happen.

Witchy Woman
01-03-2017, 02:10 AM
Isn't it about time to stop complaining about this ? It gets old having to hear about how the other 3 got snubbed. Whether it was Don's decision or whomever's it's irrelevant. Yes, I get that they weren't being honored for music that wasn't made with Leadon, Meisner, and Felder. What I do know is that Bernie and Randy quit, and Felder was fired. To honor the current members isn't unreasonable or inappropriate. What's done is done, and it's time to move forward. I don't like the fact that Donald Trump is my President, but I can't do anything but accept it and move on. Endlessly harping about an unchangeable situation is pointless.

Vector
01-03-2017, 02:25 AM
Isn't it about time to stop complaining about this ? It gets old having to hear about how the other 3 got snubbed. Whether it was Don's decision or whomever's it's irrelevant. Yes, I get that they weren't being honored for music that wasn't made with Leadon, Meisner, and Felder. What I do know is that Bernie and Randy quit, and Felder was fired. To honor the current members isn't unreasonable or inappropriate. What's done is done, and it's time to move forward. I don't like the fact that Donald Trump is my President, but I can't do anything but accept it and move on. Endlessly harping about an unchangeable situation is pointless.

Endlessly harping?

Look we are all entitled to our opinions, and I guess yours differs from mine.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the awards were just a few weeks ago. This is my first visit to the forum in years, and my first comment on the awards, and the overall theme of this thread.

Heck, I'd liked nothing better than to have come back and commented on how this event was helping to change my image of my favorite group to a more positive one.
Obviously if Frey were to have recovered from deaths door, he might have had a much different perspective. Fame is fleeting, and life precious, so he might very well have decided to bury the hatchet with Meisner & Felder. We already know he had gotten past his animosity with Leadon, hence the touring together.

Think about it. In retrospect, wouldn't it have been nice to see all of them on stage again, like at the HOF induction?
I cannot imagine any true Eagles fan that wouldn't want to see that.
It certainly would have gone a long way to help heal the rift many fans of the group feel.

:cheers:

UndertheWire
01-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Other people have been talking and writing about it for the last eighteen months and it seems that there is nothing new that you or anyone else can bring to the subject. There are already two threads on the subject.

However, I'll point out that we still don't know who decided who should receive the gaudy ribbons. My money is on Azoff with Henley happy to go along with the decision.

What should matter to us is who we want to honour and for me, that will always be the original four-man line-up. No one can take that away from me.

Funk 50
01-03-2017, 08:54 AM
I understand how only four Eagles were to receive the Kennedy Center Honor. Awards shows wouldn't have a major influence on my status as an Eagles fan.

In retrospect, I think Don, Joe, Tim and Glenn's wife were an inadequate representation of The Eagles. In comparison to the Rock'N' Roll Hall Of Fame Induction, it was a poor relation. They looked past caring.

Rick Wakeman has said he wont be involved in the Yes's induction into R'n'R Hall Of Fame because it's too late, after the death of Christopher Squires.

Glenn's untimely death meant less than half the band were there to represent the band. I'm pleased that they appeared to enjoy themselves, especially Glenn's widow but I thought it was a disappointing way to sign off as a band.

NightMistBlue
01-03-2017, 09:30 AM
However, I'll point out that we still don't know who decided who should receive the gaudy ribbons. My money is on Azoff with Henley happy to go along with the decision.

We do know that it was Azoff, as the Kennedy Center president confirmed to the reporter from the Washington Post. And he would have been carrying out the wishes of his friend and client, Mr. Henley.

But it's all over now, to quote the Rolling Stones.

Funk 50
01-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Interesting comparison. Would you judge Pete Townsend by his own words, too? If so, here he is "embracing" with open arms (and you'll probably want to skip the first minute): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgkImkPbJhE.

I couldn't watch any of it UndertheWire. It must be a cultural difference between The UK and US. It'd be considered severely ill mannered to have spotlights constantly on audience members during a stage show in the UK.

I'm not really bothered about the remnants of The Who. They were never all about the music. They used to destroy their instruments as part of their show. I'm pleased they replaced Kenny Jones and became a great band again but I'd never consider myself a fan.

I'm hoping that, in hindsight, the Eagles will be remembered as an evolving band of seven gifted musicians rather than the two figureheads plus sundries they've become since LROOE and HOTE.
I don't think the KCH will have a major bearing on how the Eagles are viewed in future. :neutral:

sodascouts
01-03-2017, 11:18 AM
Other people have been talking and writing about it for the last eighteen months and it seems that there is nothing new that you or anyone else can bring to the subject. There are already two threads on the subject.

I'm moving these posts to one of those threads.

Vector, I don't know how familiar you are with message boards, but it's bad form to ignore threads other people have started on a topic and instead resurrect one you started three years ago to discuss a matter.

buffyfan145
01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
Like it's been stated before the Kennedy Center does have it's own set of rules of how to honor what they deem current members of the band and as of 2015 when they were chosen the current members were Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy. As for the ceremony it's self I loved it and it was such a nice tribute to the band from other great artists that I'm also a fan of. Really the band isn't supposed to be involved with how they are honored as it's all supposed to be done by the Kennedy Center, which is a government organization. Plus the ribbons/medallions have been the same since this honor was started almost 40 years ago. It's a huge honor and the top award someone in the performing arts can receive in the US besides the President giving someone a Medal of Freedom (which can go to any civilian). I wish Randy, Bernie, and Don Felder were given more credit but it wasn't our call and I don't like seeing people disrespect something that is a honor to receive in my country.

secret squirrel
01-03-2017, 12:41 PM
No doubt many people signed the petition knowing it would not effect any real change, but we did it to make our voices heard and to stand up for three people we believe to be to be very talented musicians--singers, songwriters, instrumentalists--who played their own substantial roles in the success of the band and are part of the reason why the band made such a cultural impact. At the very least it did raise awareness and helped remind people that yes, indeed, there were 3 other Eagles and they still matter to a whole lot of fans.

What she said ...

Love Glenn and Don, Timothy and Joe, but also Bernie, Don F and Randy. And can appreciate their contributions without getting into every snide aside ever reported.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

Vector
01-03-2017, 01:10 PM

Vector, I don't know how familiar you are with message boards, but it's bad form to ignore threads other people have started on a topic and instead resurrect one you started three years ago to discuss a matter.

I must say that I do not believe I did anything inappropriate or in bad form. My posts you moved were not exclusively related to the thread you have placed them in.
Instead they were part of my overall theme in the thread I started discussing how I went from straight up fan, to being disillusioned with all the infighting/politics/backbiting etc.

If I were to use your suggested criteria, mentioning Frey's passing in two parts of my post would require me to go look up threads about it, and post those snippets there. Then the same would be true about the Kennedy Honors aspect, and so on.
I suspect if that were enforced/required of every post, the board would not be functional, and the moderators overwhelmed looking for various threads to insert posts that most closely matched the theme of the thread.

Additionally, the part where I pointed out how all of them being reunited could go a long way to healing the fans perception of them, would need to be put into the thread I started about being unhappy with them.

Now I could be wrong, but if I were to have had a change of heart and wanted to say my view of Frey & Henley had changed, you wouldn't object to it being a tidy ending to my thread which is mostly critical of them.
However if my view hasn't changed, and more importantly has hardened when various things occur, I see no reason to have to parcel out individual aspects of my displeasure into various threads that may be related.

Sure if all I want to discuss is the Kennedy awards, I believe you would be correct. But I wished to discuss other things that have happened that reinforce my displeasure with some of the members and their decisions. It is the totality of it all, not the individual parts.
I really don't see why that should be frowned upon and/or prohibited.

I suspect certain posters may not like my opinion, but that is hardly a reason
to prevent me from discussing my viewpoint in a thread based on my various observations.

sodascouts
01-03-2017, 01:57 PM

I must say that I do not believe I did anything inappropriate or in bad form. My posts you moved were not exclusively related to the thread you have placed them in.
Instead they were part of my overall theme in the thread I started discussing how I went from straight up fan, to being disillusioned with all the infighting/politics/backbiting etc.

If I were to use your suggested criteria, mentioning Frey's passing in two parts of my post would require me to go look up threads about it, and post those snippets there. Then the same would be true about the Kennedy Honors aspect, and so on.
I suspect if that were enforced/required of every post, the board would not be functional, and the moderators overwhelmed looking for various threads to insert posts that most closely matched the theme of the thread.

Additionally, the part where I pointed out how all of them being reunited could go a long way to healing the fans perception of them, would need to be put into the thread I started about being unhappy with them.

Now I could be wrong, but if I were to have had a change of heart and wanted to say my view of Frey & Henley had changed, you wouldn't object to it being a tidy ending to my thread which is mostly critical of them.
However if my view hasn't changed, and more importantly has hardened when various things occur, I see no reason to have to parcel out individual aspects of my displeasure into various threads that may be related.

Sure if all I want to discuss is the Kennedy awards, I believe you would be correct. But I wished to discuss other things that have happened that reinforce my displeasure with some of the members and their decisions. It is the totality of it all, not the individual parts.
I really don't see why that should be frowned upon and/or prohibited.

I suspect certain posters may not like my opinion, but that is hardly a reason
to prevent me from discussing my viewpoint in a thread based on my various observations.

Actually, it's bad form to resurrect such a hideously old thread in a message board regardless of content. Google it.

This thread is about the KCH, however, so if you disagree with the way I have organized the posts, you may complain at even greater length via PM.

Vector
01-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Actually, it's bad form to resurrect such a hideously old thread in a message board regardless of content. Google it.

This thread is about the KCH, however, so if you disagree with the way I have organized the posts, you may complain at even greater length via PM.

:lol:

I do tend to get long winded at times. I was just trying to respond to your reasoning in your post explaining what you did.

I think I've said it all already, so no need to PM.

Vector
01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Well, not only were the former Eagles not honored, they were not even acknowledged. While I figured it would be something of a miracle if their names were mentioned, I did think showing a few early pictures of the band would at least be some kind of nod, an admission that they existed.

That wasn't the case. The KCH seemed to take pains at making sure these 3 were shown as little as possible. They were cropped out of footage and pictures. There was one photo that showed the original 4; it was from the '73 Voorburg concert and the images of Glenn and Don were brightened while Randy and Bernie's were darker. There was a photo from the '74 California Jam that showed a view from behind; you can see the back of Henley's head as well as Glenn's and Bernie's. That's it. Don Felder fared worse. There was one picture of him where he's onstage at the '77 Capital Center concert with the others; it's a side view of his face. Of course, these images were shown quickly.

This was so disappointing. A person totally new to the band could see this and surmise that the early Eagles were nothing more than Frey and Henley and a couple of anonymous backing musicians. So misleading and so dishonest. This was a letdown by the KCH who I suppose were embarrassed by the petition. Or maybe they were under strict orders by Henley and Azoff to do it this way. I'm not sure what to think anymore. :confused::shrug:

Now that this is over, I am hopeful this Revisionism that's been going on for awhile will fall by the wayside, as new and younger fans come to discover this great BAND (not duo). Ok, rant over.

I think your overall post is correct, and the part I highlighted is on the money.
There was an clearly an effort to make it the Henley/Frey show, with Walsh & Schmit just along as glorified sidemen (which technically they are).

It is too bad Henley didn't consult with Schmit and ask him what would be the right way to handle it, as Tim obviously is a gentle soul and has a much better perspective.

Freypower
01-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Like it's been stated before the Kennedy Center does have it's own set of rules of how to honor what they deem current members of the band and as of 2015 when they were chosen the current members were Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy. As for the ceremony it's self I loved it and it was such a nice tribute to the band from other great artists that I'm also a fan of. Really the band isn't supposed to be involved with how they are honored as it's all supposed to be done by the Kennedy Center, which is a government organization. Plus the ribbons/medallions have been the same since this honor was started almost 40 years ago. It's a huge honor and the top award someone in the performing arts can receive in the US besides the President giving someone a Medal of Freedom (which can go to any civilian). I wish Randy, Bernie, and Don Felder were given more credit but it wasn't our call and I don't like seeing people disrespect something that is a honor to receive in my country.

Agreed.

This honour has nothing to do with how the band will be remembered.

Constantly complaining about 'displeasure' now that Frey is gone seems pointless to me.

Eagles7
01-04-2017, 02:33 AM
Oh my, that's terrible. I thought at least the contributions of the other members - what did you call them? The Three Who Must Not Be Named - would be acknowledged. Very unfortunate.

I too hope this attempt to rewrite history is not a sign of things to come.

They will never be able to rewrite the band history and exclude any of the Eagles like the three were excluded from KC. It was ludicrous. the band took off with Randy, Bernie and Don F in it!

Eagles7
01-04-2017, 03:04 AM
I have no rage towards Felder. I pity him, really. His pathetic attempts at making himself relevant again warrant it. I'm sure I'll be just fine without further conversation with you.

He doesn't have to make himself relevant he has a busy schedule of performances around the country he recently returned from performances in Japan. He'll be beginning a few weeks residence shows in Vegas in a few days.

He was honored by the Musicians hall of fame in Nashville a few months ago, and is being honored by the State of Florida hall of Fame in his hometown of Gainsville in February. The guitar work done by he and Joe on HC is always appearing in top lists of iconic guitar work. He plans to release another CD in 2017.

He is complimentary always of the work that Glenn and Don did. The foolish rift between the band is long overdue for forgiveness or at least for forgetting. The snub by the KC and Don and Irving was in the worst taste imaginable.

I don't see anything wrong with him expressing an opinion concerning the band or events surrounding the band.

He is he the only Eagle who is vey informative with fans and responds personally to questions, messages etc. he's played with a number of musicians, so it appears he enjoys collaborating and other musicians enjoy collaborating with him. He does many benefit shows and as he recently said, I'm at a point where I don't have to work, but I love and enjoy making music.

I disagree with the way Glenn handled some situations and some people, and to a degree Don H and Irving, but I love the Eagles, I love Glenn and Don"s music and I respect each member for what they contributed. I couldn't be an Eagles fan and be hating on any of the members. I find it odd how there are a few people on here who just go off on Don Felder still 16 years after he was out of the band-- and they do it in a vicious way. Kinda sad to Get so wound up and spew.

secret squirrel
01-04-2017, 12:38 PM
What she said ...

Love Glenn and Don, Timothy and Joe, but also Bernie, Don F and Randy. And can appreciate their contributions without getting into every snide aside ever reported.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html

Or perhaps I should rephrase that part ...

Love Glenn and Don, Timothy and Joe, but also the other three fellas.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/ (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/eagles-glenn-frey-beyond-cool-band-for.html)

Vector
01-05-2017, 01:25 AM
He doesn't have to make himself relevant he has a busy schedule of performances around the country he recently returned from performances in Japan. He'll be beginning a few weeks residence shows in Vegas in a few days.

He was honored by the Musicians hall of fame in Nashville a few months ago, and is being honored by the State of Florida hall of Fame in his hometown of Gainsville in February. The guitar work done by he and Joe on HC is always appearing in top lists of iconic guitar work. He plans to release another CD in 2017.

He is complimentary always of the work that Glenn and Don did. The foolish rift between the band is long overdue for forgiveness or at least for forgetting. The snub by the KC and Don and Irving was in the worst taste imaginable.

I don't see anything wrong with him expressing an opinion concerning the band or events surrounding the band.

He is he the only Eagle who is vey informative with fans and responds personally to questions, messages etc. he's played with a number of musicians, so it appears he enjoys collaborating and other musicians enjoy collaborating with him. He does many benefit shows and as he recently said, I'm at a point where I don't have to work, but I love and enjoy making music.

I disagree with the way Glenn handled some situations and some people, and to a degree Don H and Irving, but I love the Eagles, I love Glenn and Don"s music and I respect each member for what they contributed. I couldn't be an Eagles fan and be hating on any of the members. I find it odd how there are a few people on here who just go off on Don Felder still 16 years after he was out of the band-- and they do it in a vicious way. Kinda sad to Get so wound up and spew.

Well said, but some people like the self adulation "echo chamber" :rockguitar:

Witchy Woman
01-05-2017, 02:49 AM

Oh well. I guess I'm sad then. Don't know exactly why you quote something I said almost 3 months ago. Kinda sad to keep harping on the same subject.

chaim
01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
....I find it odd how there are a few people on here who just go off on Don Felder still 16 years after he was out of the band-- and they do it in a vicious way. Kinda sad to Get so wound up and spew.

This has been explained several times. I don't think there's anyone in this forum who wakes up and goes, "(yawn) Now, what could I write about Don Felder today that is as negative as possible." That stuff tends to come up when Don says something that triggers it in a recent interview. Yes, he was fired years ago, but whether he is in the Eagles or not has nothing to do with it.

I promised not to bring it up here every time something irritates me in a Felder interview, but I have every right to feel irritated when I do. Another internet forum member is not going to determine how I should feel about things. This is a general comment, not aimed at you specifically.

Turdencore
09-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Gone fishing? Its only business? Christ, let it go. The eagles peaked when Felder was asked to join. Just looks pretty lonely with three eagles being honoured. Duh?

Turdencore
09-21-2017, 05:59 AM
Gone fishing? Its only business? Christ, let it go. The eagles peaked when Felder was asked to join. Just looks pretty lonely with three eagles being honoured. Duh? three as in living eagles.....

Tony Trout
03-04-2019, 09:39 PM
I'll just chime in with this.....

If Don H. & Irving A$$off had any integrity or had they truly and really forgiven & forgotten, as we're supposed to do, they would have made sure that every single band member (including the ones that were fired - Felder - or left of their own accord - Bernie & Randy) got noticed during the KC Honors.

IMO, the two egos (Henley & Frey) were wrong in firing Felder because he rightfully felt he should have been paid equally.