PDA

View Full Version : Hypotnetical 1982 Eagles Album

Freypower
12-13-2007, 07:48 PM
If the band had resolved their differences and hadn't split up, what do you think an album released around 1982 would sound like? This was the year of Glenn and Don's first solo albums (There Goes The Neighbourhood was released in 1981).

I've compiled a fantasy album of solo tracks which may have made a good Eagles album. I thought 'Dirty Laundry' would be a good title. Now remember this was still the age of vinyl so there would only have been ten tracks, but I've cheated for the sake of this exercise and given them twelve (because I didn't want to leave certain tracks out). I'm interested in what the rest of you would have chosen.

1. Dirty Laundry (Henley)
2. The One You Love (Frey)
3. A Life Of Illusion (Walsh)
4. So Much In Love (Schmit)
5. Lilah (Henley)
6. She Can't Let Go (Frey)

1. Long Way Home (Henley)
2. You Never Know (Walsh)
3. Never Surrender (Felder)
4. That Girl (Frey)
5. I Can't Stand Still (Henley)
6. Don't Give Up (Frey)

Yes, I know. Where's Talking To The Moon? Well, I think it's too personal a song to have been on an Eagles album. And as for Nobody's Business, I'm fantasising that the situation which led to its existence didn't occur.

And I know Never Surrender is really in the realms of fantasy but I'm imagining some sanity returned and Felder was given a chance to contribute.

Tim fans please feel free to include something more appropriate. Unfortunately So Much In Love is the only song of his I know from this era.

scottside
12-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Freypower, that's a great list, but I would've switched out "Don't Give Up" for "Partytown." Glenn's songs are too ballad heavy and "Don't Give Up" (while upbeat) isn't one of the best NFA songs, IMHO. I like what you did with the rest of the songs. For Timothy I would've included something from PLAYING IT COOL. There are a number of great songs on that album and some are rockers too!

thelongrun
12-13-2007, 10:00 PM
If the band had resolved their differences and hadn't split up, what do you think an album released around 1982 would sound like? This was the year of Glenn and Don's first solo albums (There Goes The Neighbourhood was released in 1981).

I've compiled a fantasy album of solo tracks which may have made a good Eagles album. I thought 'Dirty Laundry' would be a good title. Now remember this was still the age of vinyl so there would only have been ten tracks, but I've cheated for the sake of this exercise and given them twelve (because I didn't want to leave certain tracks out). I'm interested in what the rest of you would have chosen.

2. The One You Love (Frey)
3. A Life Of Illusion (Walsh)
4. So Much In Love (Schmit)
5. Lilah (Henley)
6. She Can't Let Go (Frey)

1. Long Way Home (Henley)
2. You Never Know (Walsh)
3. Never Surrender (Felder)
4. That Girl (Frey)
5. I Can't Stand Still (Henley)
6. Don't Give Up (Frey)

Yes, I know. Where's Talking To The Moon? Well, I think it's too personal a song to have been on an Eagles album. And as for Nobody's Business, I'm fantasising that the situation which led to its existence didn't occur.

And I know Never Surrender is really in the realms of fantasy but I'm imagining some sanity returned and Felder was given a chance to contribute.

Tim fans please feel free to include something more appropriate. Unfortunately So Much In Love is the only song of his I know from this era.

Nice, only you missed I found somebody 8)

Freypower
12-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Glenn's songs are always ballad heavy.... 8)

You look at NFA and you will see there isn't a lot of uptempo stuff on it. After Glenn introduced them to horns, perhaps I Found Somebody may have worked. I am not the greatest fan of Don't Give Up (I prefer All Those Lies) but I've tried to steer away from the 'negative' songs. Yet I've given Joe You Never Know. I think this would have worked and been a surprise to many Joe fans.

Apologies for the misspelling of the topic title - it should be HYPOTHETICAL, of course. :blush:

thelongrun
12-13-2007, 10:10 PM
All those lies: Great great work VERY underrated IMO, I love that one.

sodascouts
12-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Great topic. I am going to have to give this one some thought!

Freypower
04-24-2009, 08:11 PM
We were talking in chat about some possible new discussions and I mentioned that I had raised this topic several years ago. I was wondering if any of our newer members might wish to contribute. I am sure the Tim fans could come up with something more than just So Much In Love. I tried to be as scrupulously fair as I could. As far as my own list goes, I wouldn't change it except that I might have All Those Lies instead of Don't Give Up.

Koala
04-25-2009, 07:56 AM
That is an interesting topic, but hard to answer, only 12 songs! I had in my first list 15 Songs,

ok here is my fantasy album :
Don´t Give Up(Frey)
Dirty Laundry (Henley)
The One You Love (Frey)
So Much In Love (Schmit)
A Life of Illusion (Walsh)
Lilah (Henley)

I Can´t Stand Still (Henley)
Tell Me What you Dream (Schmit)
She Can´t Let Go (Frey)
Things (Walsh)
Long Way Home (Henley)
All Those Lies (Frey)

sodascouts
04-25-2009, 11:01 AM
OK- here's mine. I would go with the pattern the Eagles had established of no Felder songs, one Tim song, and one Joe song. I would be called Dirty Laundry after their first single, whch turned out to be the highest charting song on here (even though, as I explain later, I think including that song is kind of cheating - but what are you gonna do? Circumstances make "cheating" inevitable).

1. Dirty Laundry
2. All Those Lies
3. You Better Hang Up
4. Things
5. The One You Love
6. Talking to the Moon

1. Sea Cruise
2. Playin' It Cool
3. Partytown
4. I Can't Stand Still
5. That Girl
6. Long Way Home

I didn't always include what I liked if I didn't think it would be as much of an Eagles song as others. For instance, while "Playin' It Cool" isn't the strongest track on Tim's album, it was co-written by JD Souther, which makes it closer to an Eagles song than his other material.

As far as including my favorites - "Talking to the Moon" was also co-written by Souther. In Glenn's case, "That Girl" was co-written by Seger. "All Those Lies" includes a reference to Azoff. I can hear "The One You Love" being re-arranged to feature more of an Eagles sound with additional harmonies.

Timothy sings harmony on "I Can't Stand Still," "You Better Hang Up," and "Long Way Home," giving them an Eagles sound. Same for Joe's "Things" - it has Timothy on harmony, making it sound more Eagle-ly, although I think "Life of Illusion" is a stronger song. Since "Sea Cruise" was included in Eagles live sets, I included it although it's not a favorite. "Partytown" seems in the spirit of some of the earlier Eagles work.

One thing FP noted, though, that is essential - she didn't include "Nobody's Business" because she hoped that if the Eagles had gotten together, the situation wouldnt have happened. Really - especially in the case of Don, whose songs are so driven by what's happening in his life - several of these songs would arguably not have been written if the Eagles had not broken up. "Dirty Laundry" is one of them, as it is closely related to the theme of "Nobody's Business," I think - plus it was written with "Glenn songwriting partner replacement" Danny Kortchmar. However, I included it anyway because the Eagles have currently made it their own, and you never know - maybe the news would have inspired it anyway!

amusefilms
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
This is a fun list. My question is, how different do you think the songs would sound with the others playing on them? I'm guessing (just guessing) that Glenn's would sound very different (with Henley giving his two cents) and I think Henley's songs would have a lot more guitar (and a lot less keyboards)...

Freypower
06-04-2009, 06:59 PM
I think you've summed it up well. With respect to Soda, I don't think Henley would have allowed Sea Cruise, which was a fun track to play live, but hardly 'Eagles' standard. Despite your comment that Henley's tracks would have had less keyboards I think they would have gone with Long Way Home as another big piano driven ballad, with Glenn of course playing piano. But I think they certainly could have beefed up the guitars on Lilah, ICSS or YBHU (I am drawing on both my list and Soda's here).

As far as Henley giving his 'two cents' to Glenn's songs I am less sure about that. As we have seen from Glenn's LROOE songs he pretty much did them on his own with hardly any input from Henley (which I have to say I found very disappointing. The exceptions are How Long & What Do I Do With My Heart). At least in All Those Lies or Don't Give Up he could have used Henley's incisive harmonies as well as some Walsh/Felder guitars.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I missed this thread when it was first started, so I thought I’d go ahead and reply now since it has been revived. I decided to include at least one track for everyone, and I gave Joe two songs. Since this would have been his third album with the band, I figured he had earned it. Even though it was tough, I excluded the tender “love” ballads such as Lilah, The One You Love, I Volunteer, or That Girl since the band didn’t do these kinds of songs back in the day. I guess that Dirty Laundry seems to be the most appropriate name for my album too considering the tracks I chose. I did try to pick songs that I could envision the Eagles performing although some of them are more solo efforts. However, there were times even on some of the 70’s albums that the songs did appear to be more solo than collaborative.
2. She Can’t Let Go (Frey)
3. Life of Illusion (Walsh)
4. Long Way Home (Henley)
5. Gimme the Money (Schmit)
6. All Those Lies (Frey)
7. Nobody’s Business (Henley)
8. All Night Long (Walsh)
9. I Found Somebody (Frey)
10. Heavy Metal (Felder)
11. Talking To the Moon (Henley)
12. Partytown (Frey)

As far as Henley giving his 'two cents' to Glenn's songs I am less sure about that. As we have seen from Glenn's LROOE songs he pretty much did them on his own with hardly any input from Henley (which I have to say I found very disappointing.

FP, I’m not sure I agree with this comment. IMO, you can’t compare the LROOE effort to what the band put out during the 70’s. There were exceptions in the 70's as I mentioned above where Don and Glenn didn't collaborate, but it was nowhere near as prevalent as it was on LROOE.

Freypower
06-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Dreamer, I would be very interested to know which 70s songs you regard as more 'solo' than collaborative work. On which exact Eagles songs did Don & Glenn not collaborate? If you are referring to very Henley dominated lyrics like Wasted Time and The Last Resort, those songs at least have Glenn's piano all over them. Glenn did the music and the arrangements. Perhaps he's less obvious in tracks like Those Shoes, but he's there. As Glenn's songs reduced so much in number as the decade went on, I can't think of one of his songs where he sings lead where you can't hear Don too, on drums or on harmonies. This is as opposed to ILTWADW where Don does a basic harmony, and IDTWNW where he does not appear at all.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-08-2009, 11:26 PM
FP, many of Randy’s and Bernie’s Eagles songs were written by them individually. IMO, they do not come across as much of a collaborative effort with other members of the band. Obviously, this is not truly the case because the other members contributed instrumentally and vocally on their songs. However, the songs that Randy or Bernie wrote on their own have a different sound than the songs that Henley and Frey co-wrote that have become so much a part of what we now have come to think of as the “Eagles” sound. In the early days of the band, there was no “Eagles” sound – each member brought in individual contributions and the band accepted or rejected them. Glenn’s early individual contributions were Chug All Night and Most of Us Are Sad. I’m not saying that there was no collaboration with other members of the band, but they started off as songs that Glenn wrote and brought to the band and they sound that way to me. However, as time went on, Don and Glenn collaborated on most all of the songs, and developed a ‘niche’ that morphed into the legendary “Eagles” sound.

It seems to me the band kind of reverted back to the early days in their approach to LROOE. They all brought in some individual songs and, again, the band either accepted or rejected them. There was, obviously, some collaboration on the songs, but it appears that it was nothing like what was going on at the band’s peak in the 70’s. However, to be fair, because the LROOE credits are so sketchy, I would hesitate to guess how much collaboration and input occurred among the band members on each track.

eaglesvet
06-09-2009, 07:03 AM
OK- here's mine. I would go with the pattern the Eagles had established of no Felder songs, one Tim song, and one Joe song. I would be called Dirty Laundry after their first single, whch turned out to be the highest charting song on here (even though, as I explain later, I think including that song is kind of cheating - but what are you gonna do? Circumstances make "cheating" inevitable).

1. Dirty Laundry
2. All Those Lies
3. You Better Hang Up
4. Things
5. The One You Love
6. Talking to the Moon

1. Sea Cruise
2. Playin' It Cool
3. Partytown
4. I Can't Stand Still
5. That Girl
6. Long Way Home

I didn't always include what I liked if I didn't think it would be as much of an Eagles song as others. For instance, while "Playin' It Cool" isn't the strongest track on Tim's album, it was co-written by JD Souther, which makes it closer to an Eagles song than his other material.

As far as including my favorites - "Talking to the Moon" was also co-written by Souther. In Glenn's case, "That Girl" was co-written by Seger. "All Those Lies" includes a reference to Azoff. I can hear "The One You Love" being re-arranged to feature more of an Eagles sound with additional harmonies.

Timothy sings harmony on "I Can't Stand Still," "You Better Hang Up," and "Long Way Home," giving them an Eagles sound. Same for Joe's "Things" - it has Timothy on harmony, making it sound more Eagle-ly, although I think "Life of Illusion" is a stronger song. Since "Sea Cruise" was included in Eagles live sets, I included it although it's not a favorite. "Partytown" seems in the spirit of some of the earlier Eagles work.

One thing FP noted, though, that is essential - she didn't include "Nobody's Business" because she hoped that if the Eagles had gotten together, the situation wouldnt have happened. Really - especially in the case of Don, whose songs are so driven by what's happening in his life - several of these songs would arguably not have been written if the Eagles had not broken up. "Dirty Laundry" is one of them, as it is closely related to the theme of "Nobody's Business," I think - plus it was written with "Glenn songwriting partner replacement" Danny Kortchmar. However, I included it anyway because the Eagles have currently made it their own, and you never know - maybe the news would have inspired it anyway!
I haven't read any further posts, but your arguments make a lot of sense in terms of why these are the songs that should be on this album!