PDA

View Full Version : Reviews and Comments about Timothy's album "Leap of Faith"

carol7lynn
08-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Mystery solved. Red Dirt Road, according to Rolling Stone, is in Hawaii. They're premiering the song on their website. Can't figure out how to copy and paste web-addresses on my tablet or I'd paste the hyperlink here. Just google it. Country is the genre.

Delilah
08-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Carol--I found the link! It's exciting to hear Timothy do some country. The song has a nice Cajun vibe with the accordian sound.

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/premieres/hear-eagles-timothy-b-schmits-new-song-red-dirt-road-w436134

carol7lynn
08-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting the link.

Can't wait for west coast dates. Just hope he plays different venues out here than he normally does.

LuvTim
08-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the link and the discussion!! Love this new song! After checking out this song, you just know the new album will be so awesome. (Of course, we absolutely knew that anyway. Just sayin'.) :inlove:

Timothy, please come to Kansas. :pray:

NightMistBlue
08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
That sounds really, really good.

And I didn't know Tim is buds with Van Dyke Parks; interesting.

carol7lynn
08-25-2016, 02:23 PM
That sounds really, really good.

And I didn't know Tim is buds with Van Dyke Parks; interesting.

Van played a couple of Socal dates during the Expando-tour.

buffyfan145
08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Love the new song!!! :D

Brooke
08-25-2016, 04:46 PM
I do too! Reminds me a bit of his last album, Expando, a good thing! :thumbsup:

UK TimFan
08-25-2016, 09:27 PM
If I'm allowed to post a link to a commercial site, you might be able to 'sample' the songs from 'Leap of faith' via Amazon in the UK.
So far I absolutely love 'Slow down' but think I will forever skip 'The island'. :smile:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leap-Faith-Timothy-B-Schmit/dp/B01KR56FEC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472171648&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=timothy%20b%20schmidt%20leap%20of%20faith

MaryCalifornia
08-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Hey that's great, UK! Thank you! After a very quick listen of each, I like the sound of What I Should Do and This Waltz.

His voice sounds like when he was 19.

sodascouts
08-25-2016, 11:05 PM
"Red Dirt Road" sounds reminiscent of Poco. I'm eager to hear more!

LuvTim
09-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Timothy's new video is both visually interesting and musically beautiful. If it is true that one of the artists in his family is responsible for the artwork featured in the album promotions and in the video, she should be proud. I loved it. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Really, this is music that is good for the soul, imho. I simply cannot wait to receive my copy! :-D

Delilah
09-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Nice video-colorful and artsy. It's interesting he says it's about "finally letting go." I think it's a great song.

NightMistBlue
09-13-2016, 01:39 PM
It's a great song & a lovely video. I like the soothing colors and the cover birdies coming to life.

[whispers] I think Mr. Timothy may be indicating he goes au naturel when he's on his ranch in Kauai

LuvTim
09-13-2016, 01:53 PM
It's a great song & a lovely video. I like the soothing colors and the cover birdies coming to life.

[whispers] I think Mr. Timothy may be indicating he goes au naturel when he's on his ranch in Kauai

(Whispers back to her) Did you catch that, too?! ;-)

Now, don't anybody ruin this for us with talk of swim trunks. Please.

Lol...:blush:

Annoying Twit
09-23-2016, 05:22 AM
Yeah, I looked at the £24.95 price on Amazon, and decided not to. If the extra money was going to Tim I would go ahead. But, I suspect it would be going to Amazon and they then wouldn't be paying any tax on it.

EDIT:

All Those Faces - I really like the arrangement on this with the contrast between the lighter bits and those bits that 'build'.

Oh, I Refuse has started. My favourite from hearing the 30 second section excerpts on Amazon. Now I get to hear the whole thing!

Annoying Twit
09-23-2016, 09:11 AM
The Island drifts along with that Polynesian sounding rhythm and those Beach Boys harmonies. Great stuff. The album is more varied than I expected from the 30 second snippets.

Annoying Twit
09-23-2016, 11:22 AM
On third listening. This is seriously good, and everything I thought it should be. Looking forward to the impressions of others.

NightMistBlue
09-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Congrats, Tracy! Maybe Timmy heard the dedication?

I'm listening to the new album right now. So is most of my office, lemme turn it down :) Sounds so good! Did he produce this himself? I like the organic, natural sound with the guitars at the forefront. He's a talented bro. I hope this does extremely well for him.

"Slow Down" has a xylophone solo! Dig it.

LuvTim
09-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Congrats, Tracy! Maybe Timmy heard the dedication?

I'm listening to the new album right now. So is most of my office, lemme turn it down :) Sounds so good! Did he produce this himself? I like the organic, natural sound with the guitars at the forefront. He's a talented bro. I hope this does extremely well for him.

Dare I hope that he heard it? Lol...:-D

I'm pretty sure that I heard him say that he and Hank Linderman did the production work.

NightMistBlue
09-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Impressive resume for this cat Hank: http://soundsdangerous.com/artists/hanklinderman

LuvTim
09-23-2016, 01:57 PM
Impressive resume for this cat Hank: http://soundsdangerous.com/artists/hanklinderman

Yeah, Hank's great. He played last night with Timothy at the Roots Factory show. He was on Expando and toured with Timothy then. But you probably already know this.
P.S. I dig his hair.

NightMistBlue
09-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Yeah, Hank's great. He played last night with Timothy at the Roots Factory show. He was on Expando and toured with Timothy then. But you probably already know this.
P.S. I dig his hair.

I dig his dobro :)

Tracy, woo-hoo! You're having the best week ever :)

Funk 50
09-25-2016, 01:52 PM
I was so hoping I would get the CD yesterday.....Wonderful Union.....looks like I have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for delivery:sigh:

I'm surprised the retailer didn't send you the mp3 files to listen to while you wait for snail mail.

The last mp3 album I bought included wonderful pdf versions of the artwork so I could zoom into pics that would be difficult to read at CD size.

I don't think artwork is included at this free site: http://itsonlyrockandroll.info/?p=58499

Favourite tracks for starters; Pearl On The String. The Island and It's Alright. Is that The Traveling Wilburys I'm hearing in the bridge?

Tim's voice is in fine fettle. Seems he's made a complete recovery after that throat surgery a couple of years back. :-)

Annoying Twit
09-26-2016, 05:27 AM
That's a better price.

Is there anyone else who thinks that if this album had been released as an Eagles album, with Tim, Don H, Joe, and (since we're speaking hypothetically) Glenn handling lead and backing vocals but otherwise identical, that there would be a great deal of satisfaction with it as a modern Eagles album?

Funk 50
09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Leap Of Faith would certainly sell more as an Eagles album but I think it would sound very different, if the rest of the Eagles had put their considerable paw prints on it. I think it would make a good Poco album. :smile:

Annoying Twit
09-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Leap Of Faith would certainly sell more as an Eagles album but I think it would sound very different, if the rest of the Eagles had put their considerable paw prints on it. I think it would make a good Poco album. :smile:

Yes, if it was an Eagles album it would be very different. However, I like thinking hypothetically. And I can imagine this as an Eagles album with exactly the same arrangements, just substituting other Eagles into the vocals singing exactly the same thing. If such an album existed, I think Eagles fans would be very happy.

NightMistBlue
09-27-2016, 01:30 PM
Well, at least fans of the early "country" Eagles would be pleased.

[That reads in a snarky tone but I certainly don't intend it that way. I only meant, of course, that Timmy's album is more remniscent of say PEF rather than Life in the Fast Lane.]

Houston Baby
09-27-2016, 11:48 PM
I got my cds today. Did y'all notice the dedication in the lyrics insert?

"This album is dedicated to Roach, from Woodstock"

I will say it again, Timothy is a sweetheart. I know Glenn is smiling....

LuvTim
09-28-2016, 12:29 AM
HB, yes, I noticed it. :-) I had the same thought you had. He's such a beautiful soul.

UndertheWire
09-28-2016, 04:35 AM
It makes good background music when I'm working. I find it soothing but upbeat. The only problem is that it makes me want to book a holiday - early favourites are "The Island" and "Slow Down".

buffyfan145
09-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Finally got to listen to it on Spotify and love it!!! :D Really like the country and island themes as well. Love he wrote that for Glenn in the jacket.

rcknalwys
09-29-2016, 03:26 PM
I saw that Houston Baby and wondered if anyone else had. Nothing flashy, just sweet and evocative of so many memories. I love it. Very understated just like Timothy.

SallyGee
09-29-2016, 06:10 PM
I am loving this CD! And the autograph! I did see the dedication. So simple, but so meaningful.

sodascouts
10-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Since Timothy's album is out now, I thought I would make a new thread for thoughts about the music separate from our anticipation. I took the liberty of moving the posts from the other thread which were discussing the songs over to here.

I can't wait to get the album myself!

UndertheWire
10-03-2016, 05:33 AM
Did anyone catch the interview with Jim Ladd on Sirius radio? I've read that it was long and good. (I don't think there's a way of listening to Sirius outside the US)

Funk 50
10-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Tim's album, Leap Of Faith, is available at CD Baby.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timothybschmit2

In the early days of internet shopping, CD Baby was one of many U.S. retailers I bought CDs from and was impressed enough to keep a mental note of the name. I'm not surprised they are still going strong while others have fallen by the wayside or have been sucked into Amazon.

I'm surprised at how quickly posts about Leap Of Faith have dried up. I'm still getting into it. Current fave is I Refuse. Initially I thought it's way off Tim's musical territory but it's grown on me. Is it Tim playing the guitar solo?

LuvTim
10-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Did anyone catch the interview with Jim Ladd on Sirius radio? I've read that it was long and good. (I don't think there's a way of listening to Sirius outside the US)

I caught it, UTW, and it really was very good. Jim Ladd is so good at what he does so Timothy really had a chance to talk at length about the origin of his thinking on the new songs, where he pulls from when he's writing (his life and his heart, of course), and a little about his past work with Poco and the Eagles. There was a tribute time for Glenn which was very touching, both men being audibly moved in their remembrances.
I actually spent the whole two hours that spanned the interview in my car that night, driving the city and the burbs, just listening. :inlove:

LuvTim
10-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Tim's album, Leap Of Faith, is available at CD Baby.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timothybschmit2

In the early days of internet shopping, CD Baby was one of many U.S. retailers I bought CDs from and was impressed enough to keep a mental note of the name. I'm not surprised they are still going strong while others have fallen by the wayside or have been sucked into Amazon.

I'm surprised at how quickly posts about Leap Of Faith have dried up. I'm still getting into it. Current fave is I Refuse. Initially I thought it's way off Tim's musical territory but it's grown on me. Is it Tim playing the guitar solo?

I've been listening to this CD daily, snippets always coming to mind as I go about my daily business. I'm prejudiced, of course, but I just love it. I find it difficult to pick favorites, as I can appreciate the different styles and tones that span the recording. I think it shows the range of his talents.

Re: I Refuse-
Awesome song! I love it when the bass kicks in hard.
Tim plays both electric guitar and bass on this recording, with Hank Linderman credited on Lead. Can someone who attended one of the live concerts help out with the solo information? I'm going to presume it's Timothy unless someone knows otherwise.
"I Refuse to be part of your downfall
You'll have to go it alone" ......:rockon:

UndertheWire
10-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Is the show available on archive to subscribers or only when it's transmitted? Not that that makes any difference to me. However, if anyone felt able to write up what was said in more detail, I'd love to read. (LuvTim, I understand that it would have been difficult for your to take notes as you drove around but I'm glad you were able to listen). I'm so used to everything being available online, that it's a shock when it isn't.

LuvTim
10-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Is the show available on archive to subscribers or only when it's transmitted? Not that that makes any difference to me. However, if anyone felt able to write up what was said in more detail, I'd love to read. (LuvTim, I understand that it would have been difficult for your to take notes as you drove around but I'm glad you were able to listen). I'm so used to everything being available online, that it's a shock when it isn't.

Thank you, UTW.
I checked YouTube but it wasn't posted there. Some of Ladd's interviews were there, but not this one yet. I'm going to keep checking.
I'll certainly let you know if I can find it. :-)

UndertheWire
10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks. I'll keep checking.

NightMistBlue
10-03-2016, 02:12 PM
I actually spent the whole two hours that spanned the interview in my car that night, driving the city and the burbs, just listening. :inlove:

You're such a devoted fan, Luvy - Tim is lucky to have you in his corner. I hope you get to see him in concert soon and that you get to hug him.

UndertheWire
10-04-2016, 06:10 AM
I'm not ready to write a review - I still have trouble matching a song with its title. Timothy doesn't seem to follow the advice of including the song's title in the song as many times as possible. The album title is taken from a song which has a completely different title.

"You're so wild" - is this a parent worrying about a grown-up child but trying not to interfere?

Funk 50
10-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Always fun to transcribe the lyrics by ear. This one's pretty straightforward, the others I've attempted, so far, have some quite unlikely lines. For instance, I'm sure that, despite what my ears are telling me, the second verse of I Refuse does not contain the line "Your shed is not mine" (surely it's not s**t):woah:

It's Alright

When you sleep so close to me I know it's alright
trouble feels so far away I know it's alright
when your fingers brush my face I know it's alright
I'm the canvas that you paint I know it's alright

Outside the rain is pouring down I know it's alright
cause your breath is my only sound I know it's alright

I know I'm the lucky one
I know that you care
all I have to do is turn
and see you lying there

You're a mystery, you're a saint I know it's alright
You're my fortune, you're my fame I know it's alright

I know I'm the lucky one
I know that you care
all I have to do is turn
and see you lying there

Everytime I touch your hair I know it's alright
When your sweetness fills the air I know it's alright
I know it's alright, I know it's alright

Philh
10-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Leap Of Faith enters the Billboard "Heatseekers" albums at No.10.
Let's hope it does well for Timothy.

rcknalwys
10-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Yes Funk 50 the word is s**t. Kind of comes as a shock doesn't it? I'm sure he has a reason he used it, it just sounds strange coming out of his mouth when we always hear him being soft spoken and gentle.

Freypower
10-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Yes Funk 50 the word is s**t. Kind of comes as a shock doesn't it? I'm sure he has a reason he used it, it just sounds strange coming out of his mouth when we always hear him being soft spoken and gentle.

He is pushing 70 & he is a rock star. Haven't you seen the clip of him telling paparazzi to 'f*k off'?

I know that there are people on this board who object to swearing, but it's hardly a great surprise in my view.:hmm:

UndertheWire
10-12-2016, 08:10 AM
I draw a line
I'm not looking to save you
Your sh** is not mine
I need to stand my ground
and keep my cool

An apt choice of word as he's talking about not getting pulled into other people's fights.

Has he spoken about the lyrics in any of the interviews?

MaryCalifornia
10-12-2016, 01:24 PM
Ooh, I wonder if it is about one of his kids and that kid's troubles with substance abuse and legal issues? Or another relative? It sounds like he's drawing boundaries in a relationship, refusing to get involved or sucked in to the other person's issues.

And thank you Funk for the lyrics to Its Alright - I really like it!!! Beautiful words.

FP, I love that video of Timothy cursing at the photog. You can see the difference when he's on tour with the Eagles and when he's not. (he was on tour here)

UndertheWire
10-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Ooh, I wonder if it is about one of his kids and that kid's troubles with substance abuse and legal issues? Or another relative? It sounds like he's drawing boundaries in a relationship, refusing to get involved or sucked in to the other person's issues.

I was thinking more about the Felder-Frey issues - there's the line "I feel the call of the big divide between hatred and healing". It doesn't sound like a parent to a child, to me, whereas "You're So Wild" sounds like the classic parent worrying but trying not to tell him how to live his life.

I'm impressed by the lyrics.

rcknalwys
10-12-2016, 02:47 PM
I haven't seen that one Freypower. I'm not against the swearing, just seemed funny to me because he is always so gentle sounding.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Well - This week I finally got around to looking for Leap of Faith. I tried both Best Buy and Walmart and didn't have any luck at either place. Those are the two best bets for new releases in my area, so I went ahead and ordered it online. Even though they charged me over $8.00 in shipping, there is no arrival date being given so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get it. :shrug:

Gemini
10-15-2016, 03:30 PM
I had trouble preordering from the website but when I couldn't find it locally after release, I took another shot. Everything went fine. I don't have a good idea about how long it took because mine came through Jacksonville and was held up by the recent hurricane.

Funk 50
10-16-2016, 03:29 PM
As I posted earlier, I've been attempting to type out the lyrics to Leap Of Faith to help me familiarize myself with the album. I'll be happy to post them all here, once I'm done.

If there are no objections, rather than dump all the lyrics in the same thread, I thought it'd be better, particularly for reference purposes, to give each track it's own thread. I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing that with a few words of approval from the mods and/or other posters.

Apart from transcribing the official lyric video for Red Dirt Road, I'm still working by ear. I'm gonna spend sometime trying to buy an, over the counter, copy of Leap Of Faith before I give up and order it on line so I'd be most grateful if anyone could help with following lines that I'm still struggling with before I start copying and pasting.... and commenting.:smile:

I Refuse
1st verse
Is the summer rain "Smashing" or "splashing"?
What follows "staying in the here and now"
3rd verse
What line follows "I don't know what makes you so mad"?

The Island
The verse that begins with "Umbrella drink"
What comes between "Ocean and "Moonlight"?

This Waltz
During the first and last chorus,
What line follows "Let's take to the floor and give it our all"?

I'm not saying the rest of the lyrics are 100% on the nail but they've passed my pedantry standards. :p

RSVP ASAP
Many thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

LuvTim
10-16-2016, 05:47 PM
As I posted earlier, I've been attempting to type out the lyrics to Leap Of Faith to help me familiarize myself with the album. I'll be happy to post them all here, once I'm done.

If there are no objections, rather than dump all the lyrics in the same thread, I thought it'd be better, particularly for reference purposes, to give each track it's own thread. I'd feel a lot more comfortable doing that with a few words of approval from the mods and/or other posters.

Apart from transcribing the official lyric video for Red Dirt Road, I'm still working by ear. I'm gonna spend sometime trying to buy an, over the counter, copy of Leap Of Faith before I give up and order it on line so I'd be most grateful if anyone could help with following lines that I'm still struggling with before I start copying and pasting.... and commenting.:smile:

I Refuse
1st verse
Is the summer rain "Smashing" or "splashing"?
Smashing
What follows "staying in the here and now"
It reminds me to be present tense
In any given situation

3rd verse
What line follows "I don't know what makes you so mad"?
Or why you think you gotta play rough

The Island
The verse that begins with "Umbrella drink"
What comes between "Ocean and "Moonlight"?
Sunset deluxe is what I live for

This Waltz
During the first and last chorus,
What line follows "Let's take to the floor and give it our all"?
First chorus: Your patience is grand, my spirits are low
Let's whirl all around the unknown

Second chorus: Your love is so strong, and I'm not alone
Let's float straight on through the unknown

Third chorus: Same as first

I'm not saying the rest of the lyrics are 100% on the nail but they've passed my pedantry standards. :p

RSVP ASAP
Many thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

You're certainly welcome. Thanks for your efforts in typing out the lyrics. I hate to type.

rcknalwys
10-16-2016, 05:51 PM
If our moderators approve, I would enjoy having separate topics for each song. I love reading what everyone thinks and learn a lot from our musically inclined members.

MaryCalifornia
10-16-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm not a mod and am not speaking on their behalfs, but detail like dedicating a thread to each song, if that's what the fans want, is exactly what this board is for. The details. Nitty gritty details! About our guys. I approve.

10-16-2016, 10:34 PM
As a moderator, I personally don't have any strong feelings one way or another. However, I do wonder if there would be enough activity for each song to have its own thread. We have separate threads for some individual Eagles songs, but, traditionally, whenever a band member has released a solo album, we kept most of the discussion in one thread.

Jonny Come Lately
10-17-2016, 03:47 AM
I have my doubts about this personally, as I dislike the idea of giving each individual song a thread 'automatically'. I agree with Dreamer in thinking that there may not be sufficient interest to justify having a thread for every song. I don't like the direction this would head in - there was more discussion about Cass County than there has been about Leap Of Faith, so you could then argue that every song on Cass County has to have its own thread too - it sets a precedent.

Regarding a possible lyric thread, I think there is a danger this could be seen as undermining EaglesOnlineCentral. In any case, rather than posting the full lyrics on the board, I think a better idea would be to offer them to EOC, which is far better suited as a lyrics resource than a message board where the thread will fall down the order over time. I think it would be a good idea to have a thread for discussion and analysis, but I think a single topic would be enough in this case, and I would have said the same thing if it had been Cass County or any other solo album.

UndertheWire
10-17-2016, 08:30 AM
As there has been so little discussion of the album on this single thread, I don't see the point of starting lots of new threads. I'm happy to see lyrics posted here. I expect Soda will get round to putting them on the main site but I don't see why we can't share what we have and discuss.

I'm sorry that I haven't been adding much to the discussion. I like the album and I've listened to it quite a lot but I've yet to concentrate. Reading lyrics would help.

Brooke
10-17-2016, 11:55 AM
I also think having a separate thread for each song is too much. TBS online should have the lyrics there and would be a good link to use when discussing them.

I haven't gotten the album yet, and need to get it, but haven't found it in stores, don't want to order from Amazon. I guess I'll go ahead and download.

Funk, typing them all out takes a good deal of time and I appreciate (and I'm sure Soda does too) what you are doing. Maybe you could email them to her once you get them figured out and she could put them on TBS online.

I don't think she has Cass County lyrics up there yet either. Anyone game?

Freypower
10-17-2016, 06:33 PM
I will be posting some thoughts about LOF when I have heard it all. I am still on my first listen. I am finding it fairly similar to Expando but like that he is singing ina slightly lower register.

LuvTim
10-17-2016, 08:44 PM
I will be posting some thoughts about LOF when I have heard it all. I am still on my first listen. I am finding it fairly similar to Expando but like that he is singing ina slightly lower register.

He has said that he considers LOF to be almost a companion piece to Expando. :-)

Annoying Twit
10-18-2016, 01:55 AM
He has said that he considers LOF to be almost a companion piece to Expando. :-)

I can see that, but personally, think that LOF is slightly the better album. It's an upwards trajectory. I hope we hear the third album of this sort of material.

Annoying Twit
10-18-2016, 02:50 AM
The album doesn't have a Wikipedia page yet. I only have the digital download with no credits, so can't write one myself. Could someone start a page on the album?

Link from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_B._Schmit#Studio_albums

Jonny Come Lately
10-18-2016, 02:56 AM
I don't think she has Cass County lyrics up there yet either. Anyone game?

I was coincidentally listening to Cass County (albeit only the standard edition tracks) on Sunday evening, so it's quite fresh in my mind. I'd love to be of help with this - I'd be quite happy to have a go at transcribing the lyrics and then PM'ing them to Soda or whomever it may concern.

secret squirrel
10-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Bit out of touch. Not sure whether to post this on album thread/press thread.

http://i95rock.com/timothy-b-schmit-releases-new-solo-album/

Forgive me if it's already there.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/

NightMistBlue
10-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Ooh, I hadn't seen that. Merci. I like that interviewer: she knows her $#*t.

Squirrel, I like your new avatar but I'm gonna miss that sex-ay photo of Tim you had.

sodascouts
10-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Guys, feel free to post lyrics here! No need to wait for me. I don't know when I'll have time to post the lyrics.

I think it might be a better idea to keep the discussions of all the new songs in one thread. There will probably be times when you want to compare songs or talk about more than one in a single post, and that's much easier to do in the same thread.

Funk 50
10-19-2016, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all the responses, especially LuvTim for helping me out with the lyrics I wasn't sure about.

I think the site would need a new section to host albums track by track so I'll post the lyrics on this thread. You can copy and paste them from here as well as anywhere.

Incidentally, I already have the lyrics for Cass County. I copied and pasted them from the internet where they are readily available on many lyric sites.

Timothy B Schmit:

All Those Faces, Good bye My Love, It's Alright & My Hat:

All Those Faces

Jeddrah Schmit (all vocal harmonies)

I've seen many towns and cities
been around the block
I meet people, all those faces
but someday I'll stop

nothing I want to but I see now
all things do change
father time he marches onward
nothing stays the same

I have seen a magic carpet
I have taken flight
I just hang on to the edges
and sail through the night

it's so easy with a tail wind
but it's not always so
comes a storm then crash landing
that's the way it goes

I'm glad I'm not alone
dealing with these mysteries
it's a constant ebb and flow
a struggle to be free

kick your boots off take a leap of faith
let's be on our way, don't forget to wave
I'm in training, living out my life
it is quite a ride, I like you by my side
please stay

Have you ever seen a baby
look into your eyes
there is nothing quite like it
so young, so wise
In the distance there's a meadow
so green and fine
it takes a while to finally get there
but it's worth the time

see that rising moon longing to touch the sky
in this endless rendezvous you can almost hear a sigh

please stay

Lay it all out on the table, I'll stand my ground
lift me up to higher places and I wont look down
We are all in this together but we forget
in this world with all those faces
so much regret
it's time to plant a seed
no use in turning back
was a simple basic need
we all need to know that

please stay

I Refuse

Taylor Hawkins (drums) Benmont Tench (keyboards)

I like the smell of the summer rain
smashing on the dry ground
it's like the earth's letting off a little steam
staying in the here and now
it reminds me to be present tense
in any given situation
I've got to try to always do my best
such a quaint affirmation
It seems so simple
just follow the good path
sometimes we trip, we stumble
it's just a wake up call to stay on track

deep in the night when the shadows hide
and the crickets are singing
I feel the pull of the great divide
between hatred and healing
and I can't be sure how it will be
come the next time we meet up
if I practiced my philosophy
maybe I'll call your bluff
I draw a line
and I'm not looking to save you
your shit is not mine
I need to stand my ground and keep my cool

sooner or later
you're gonna find out
put it to bed I'm gonna have to say no

Can't lose if you're willing to stand tall
you're life is all you own
I refuse to be part of your downfall
you'll have to go it alone

I can see that fire there in your eyes
you seem to use it like a weapon
and I wonder if it's worth the pain you hide
just to make a strong impression
and I don't know what makes you so mad
or why you think you've got to play rough
and you're trying to make me feel bad
but it's a habit you should give up
I'm doing alright
today's a good day
though nothing's air tight
I am willing to face you come what may

I'm feeling good so don't try to bug me
but if you do I'm gonna have to say no

(Guitar inst)

sooner or later
you're gonna find out
but until then I'm gonna have to say no

(keyboard & guitar inst)

It's Alright

(TBS solo)

When you sleep so close to me I know it's alright
trouble feels so far away I know it's alright
when your fingers brush my face I know it's alright
I'm the canvas that you paint I know it's alright

Outside the rain is pouring down I know it's alright
cause your breath is my only sound I know it's alright

I know I'm the lucky one
I know that you care
all I have to do is turn
and see you lying there

You're a mystery, you're a saint I know it's alright
You're my fortune, you're my fame I know it's alright

I know I'm the lucky one
I know that you care
all I have to do is turn
and see you lying there

Every time I touch your hair I know it's alright
When your sweetness fills the air I know it's alright
I know it's alright, I know it's alright

My Hat

When you stood up and told me that I had to get my hat
it was time for me to reach out for the door
I didn't know then what I know now and it is just a fact
my behaviour was just this side of poor

Well I can't really tell you what was going through my mind
but I try my best never to be rude
If my heart is not open then I start to fall behind
and you'll see one of my off colour moods

Don't know when it might end
maybe I should make my amends

So I buckle up tight
and try to stay on this rollercoaster ride
I go up, I go down
and I keep spinning around

Well I wake up each morning, I get ready for my day
and I'm all set to conquer all my fears
but I tend to let all these little things get in my way
it's been happening a lot these past few years
sometimes I think too much then nothing happens way too fast
I might stare out the window but not see
I need to capture the moment cause I know it may not last
it's a matter of letting things just be

sometimes I'm on fire
too much pent up desire

So I buckle up tight
I go up, I go down

It's so much later than I'd like and there's so far to go
tonight is such an endless night
but I can't sleep now it seems I'm on a roll

(acoustic slide inst)

I have moments of greatness when I feel I'm on a quest
there are times when I dangle by a thread
In the sweetness of glory I feel raging tenderness
I prefer it to when I hang my head

such a puzzle to me
seems I've misplaced my key

So I buckle up tight
I go up, I go down

Funk 50
10-19-2016, 07:13 AM
Timothy B Schmit:

Pearl On A String, Red Brick Road, Slow Down & The Island:

Pearl On The String

Every day there's something new
so many things we go through
we search for the perfect view
but it's always so hard to find
it's all about good timing
we might see it all or not a thing
It's just another pearl on the string

There's a craving tonight
and if everything goes right
I'll be flying like a kite
unless that wind decides to stop blowing
what'll I do then
well I might fall or I could spread my wings

I am blinded by a light
a total lack of insight
when I think that I just might
have to settle for what's not special
though I know all too well
it don't matter in the scheme of things

you can't always be an angel
you can't always be smart
it is all one big lesson to be learned
you can find it in your heart

There is bad and there is great
I've seen crooked and I've seen straight
not much love, too much hate
but the world it still keeps on turning
again and again
you might feel good or you might feel a sting
It is just another pearl on the string

it don't matter in the scheme of things

Red Dirt Road
Van Dyke Parks (accordion) John McFee (fiddle)
Herb Pedersen (harmonies)

Do you remember, not long ago
we could just up and fly away
now things are different, now we must plan
that clear blue green water
will soon be in sight
we'll take as long as it may take

cuz we have each other and it's only right
that we persevere for goodness sake

Right now, we sow these seeds
but oh my, just wait and see

When we get on down that mountain side
take the red dirt road
when you reach the water then you'll know
You don't need no diamond ring
You don't need no clothes
When you walk on down that red dirt road

I'm only human, I'm just a man
I seek contentment when I can
so when I am weary, head in my hand
I think about my earthly promise land

I'd like to cut to the chase
but I know we've got to wait

til we get on down that mountain side
take the red dirt road
when you reach that water then you'll know
You don't need no diamond ring

It wont be quite the same
once we were young and wild
it's that burning in our hearts
you know it's been there from the start

(accordion & violin inst)

Right now, we sow these seeds
but oh my, just wait and see

til we get on down that mountain side
take the red dirt road
when you reach that water then you'll know

You don't need a single thing
just get up and go
there's a rainbow down that red dirt road

Slow Down

Gary Burton (vibraphone)

It's a blue sky day in the city
there's a cool breeze in the air
I'd like to go outside cuz it feels so right
but somehow I don't dare
From my point of view I got things to do
there's so much on my mind
the committee inside my head
it says, I simply don't have time

I'm in motion but I can't say if it's good
I keep pushing, though a voice inside me says that I should

slow down (don’t ya think you better slow down)
take a deep breath and then look around it's prime time
(nothing matters in your prime time)
and it wont last all that long
you've got to say no (don’t ya think you better say no)
to the many things that do not matter
draw that line, you're gonna miss out if you don't slow down

You can have the best intensions
you can practice self control
but if the only pace is to win the race
then all you get is old
It's the bitter without sweetness
it's a candle with no flame
If your glass is half empty it's hard to see
so easy to feel pain

I'm running ragged, always on a quest,
in isolation, and it's bound to stay the same unless you

slow down (don’t ya think you better slow down)

I need to feed my senses everyday
don't want to go too fast cuz
my life might slip away

(vibes inst)

If tomorrow rains and thunders
and chain lightening streaks the air
If it shakes the earth for all I'm worth
I hope I wont despair

Cause I need to seize the moment
I wanna hear it call my name
I've got to fill up my heart with this state of art
and then stash it in my brain

but I go on, I just can't stand still
it's my obsession and I know nothing can change until I

slow down

(oh I think you better slow down)
ooh, ooh, ooh, yeah, yeah, yeah
(think you better slow down)
I think you better slow down
gonna miss out, gonna miss out , gonna miss out, yeah

The Island

Matt & Adam Jardine (vocal harmonies)

I have to get away, so I came to the island
I just couldn't stay, now I'm here on the island
nothing to do but stare at the palm trees
kick off my shoes and feel that tropical breeze

I feel so fine now that I'm on the island
there's no freeway in sight on this beautiful island
I'm mesmerized, feeling so weightless
I could just cry, this is real success

Why should I leave when it's so crystal clear
one look in my eyes and you can see that I should stay right here

umbrella drink, such a wonderful potion
it's just what I need after a swim in the ocean
sunset deluxe is what I live for
moonlight above will shine it's light on the shore

(vibes inst)

Why should I leave when it's so crystal clear
one look in my eyes and you can see that I should stay right here

What's that I see, another perfect rainbow
so come stay with me, we'll listen to the trade-wind flow
breathe in, breathe out, and take the time to
cosmically shout in island gratitude

(Voc inst)

Funk 50
10-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Timothy B Schmit:

This Waltz, What Should I Do & You're So Wild:

This Waltz

I don't know if I'm living a lie
or if I'm just feeling blue
Every one says keep your chin up real high
but I don't know what to do

I've been told there's a lesson to learn
in everything good and bad
but sometimes it's hard
not to feel you've been burned
and makes you feel way too sad

Some fall to their knees
I'm prone to endlessly pacing
I'm a tree that's losing it's leaves
I guess we'll see what the future might bring

I've been lost, no wind in my sails
it's all based on faithless fear
but you're like a flower
and the sweetness prevails
and washes away my tears

So this is how it feels
you can't take one moment for granted
it's a large dose of what's real
and I'm longing to sing once again

Why don't you come close to me
and let's dance to this waltz
let's take to the floor and give it our all
Your patience is grand my spirits are low
let's whirl all around the unknown

Where to turn, I wish I knew
there is no place to run
I've got to roll up my sleeves
do what I need to do
but it's easier said than done

So I'll keep swimming up stream
I am no different from others
who have hopes, demons and dreams
I guess I'll see what the future might bring

Your love is so strong and I'm not alone
let's float straight on through the unknown

Your patience is grand my spirits are low
let's whirl all around the unknown

What Should I Do

When I am not doing what I should do
I get crazy I feel blue
I get distracted and then I find
I can't barely keep hold of my mind
don't you know I gotta shoot from the heart
all my world might fall apart
happiness is not a guarantee
I need to find what works for me

I came upon a friend of mine just the other day
I told him I can't seem to compromise
and I think I've lost my way
he said, don't be mad don't be confused
everybody needs to find a muse
it's such a mystery but true

cause When I am not doing what I should do
(not doing what I should do)
I get crazy I feel blue
(I get crazy and I'm feeling blue)
(I get distracted and I find)
I can barely keep hold of my mind
(I can just about control my mind)
don't you know you got to shoot from the heart
(shoot, shoot, shoot from the heart)
all your world might fall apart
(Your world's gonna fall apart)
happiness is not an absolute
you need to find what works for you

I don't want to hang around wasting precious time
I need to get myself up off the ground and leave my past behind
yeah, it's time to stand and shout out loud
so you can hear my voice above the clouds
there's no better time than now

(keyboard & guitar inst)

I've been around the world and then some
searching for my peace of mind
I don't need to look any longer
because it's all right here inside

I get crazy I feel blue

(I can just about control my mind)
don't you know you gotta shoot from the heart
you need to find what works for you

I get crazy I feel blue
(I think I'm just about to lose my mind)
don't you know you gotta shoot from the heart
you need to work to find the truth

cause When I am not ….
I get crazy ….
I get distracted ….
(I think I'm just about to lose my mind)
don't you know that …

You're So Wild

You've got things you have to do
I could never tell you how to make your next move
but sometimes I forget and try
leaving myself open to your alibis

there aint nothing that I can do or say
but it's so hard to stay out of your way

I wish I could sleep the whole night through
and never be disturbed with all these thoughts about you
I know it's crazy this hope that you might find
another way of living just for my peace of mind

I don't want to play god and proclaim what is right
but I still wonder where you are tonight
cause you're so wild
you're on fire like the devil
I must let go cuz I can't change your world

I think I'll go sit under a tree
take a good look at myself and try to let things be
just know that my love for you is here
it's wrapped around my heart and sealed up with a tear

It's time that we put an end to this fight
I need to step back I just hope you're alright

cause you're so wild
and I'm so tired out cuz I can't change your world

once it was hard just to get through a day
I was a sight to behold
but now I can live in a dignified way
you might even see me smile
even though you're so wild

(guitar inst)

I've got things I have to do
you could never tell me how to make my next move
so I wonder how could I be so bold
as to ever think that I might have one ounce of control

there aint nothing that I can do or say
but it's so hard to stay out of your way

cause you're so wild
I need to let go
cause you're so wild
and I'm so tired out cause I cuz change your world

UndertheWire
10-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Thank you for that huge effort.

10-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks from me too for the lyrics.

As I just posted in another thread, I finally received my Leap of Faith CD on the anniversary date of Expando's release. I've only listened to it once so far, but my first impression is very favorable. I like most of the songs, however, I need to listen some more before making any further comments.

AzEaglesFan
10-23-2016, 02:22 PM
I just received a notice from Amazon that Timothy's CD is still not available from them. Does anyone know what the holdup is on them getting a new supply in?

10-23-2016, 04:24 PM
I have no idea, AZ. That's why I decided to go ahead and order mine through Wonderful Union on Timothy's website. Even though Wonderful Union isn't apparently always that 'wonderful', I did receive my CD in about a week after placing my order. Be prepared to pay over $8.00 for shipping though if you decide to go that route.

Brooke
10-24-2016, 10:54 AM
I looked at my local Walmart and a music store in my mall with no luck. The guy in the music store had no idea just who Timothy was which was not surprising. He did say he would order it for me though. :thumbsdown:

Funk 50
10-26-2016, 06:07 AM
Thanks UtW and Iabad, transcribing the lyrics was quite an enjoyable experience. It's certainly allowed me to spend some time getting to know Leap Of Faith although I still believe you need to live with an album for at least a year or two before you realise it's true worth.

No doubting, Leap Of Faith is straight off the same rack as Tim's Expando album but I'd say it has a little more musical depth and diversity than it's predecessor. The production and musician ship is pretty much top notch. A think a few songs could have done with an edit, I'm not keen on the accordion parts but I already consider Leap Of Faith to be Timothy's best album so far.

The opening track My Hat, is a pleasant foot tapper that sets the unhurried tone of the album although it's still to grab me.

A gentle reggae beat and wah wah guitar ease into new territory for Tim on Slow Down.
The chorus features the first appearance of Marlena Jeter, Lynn Fidmont and Mortinette Jenkins, Tim's wonderful backing singers and
although it's not in the same league as Glenn Frey's guitar solo during I Can't Tell You Why, Gary Burton's masterful extended vibraphone solo is just one of many enjoyable, instrumental breaks that pop up all over the album.
Slow Down also contains the first of a few lyrical surprises. I love the phrase "Stash it in my brain." Tim may have coined a playful phrase there. Maybe he could name his tour "The Stash It In Your Brain Tour"

All Those Faces, I presume, is Leap Of Faith's title track, as it includes the album's moniker in it's lyrics. Beginning with simple acoustic guitar and harmonica, a tasteful electric guitar tone enhances the mood, adding depth and ambiance to the mix, before coming to the forefront, combining with stirring harmony vocals from Tim's daughter Jeddrah to create an early rousing highlight of the album.

I Refuse (to be part of your downfall) is Tim's best rocker, Period. It could be about Felder but I guess we'll never know for sure, unless Tim publicly answer's a direct question about it. Could there be other negativity that he doesn't want to be dragged into?
I'm sure, I Refuse will be a future concert highlight even without the star turns from Foo Fighter's drummer Taylor Hawkins and Heartbreakers keyboard player, Benmont Tench. There's a strong chorus, a customary but ticks all the boxes, rock guitar solo and a pleasing close out featuring guitar and keys, not forgetting Tim's, top notch vocals.

There's an undeniable R&B, Motown feel, while maintaining the relaxed nature of the whole album. on What I Should Do. The tempo isn't too far from Tim's R&B debut hit with The Eagles.
A groovetastic singalong chorus, more great vocals from Tim and his backing singers plus a glorious bridge make What I Should Do one of Leap Of Faith's stand out tracks.

Tim skips back to his Poco days on Goodbye My Love. Twangy electric guitar and a heapin' helpin' of pedal steel mark a straight ahead country pop song with an attractive melody and catchy chorus.

You're So Wild is obviously addressing Tim's relationship with his fledgling kids. I hope they're comfortable with the "You're So Wild, You're on fire like the devil" accusation.
It begins as one of Tim's acoustic strum and voice songs but a generous dousing of rock guitar, I'm guessing from Tim's aid-de-camp Hank Linderman, adds a welcome bit of audio devil to the track.

Par for the course, on any TBS solo album, is a solo acoustic guitar and voice ballad from Tim. It's Alright doesn't disappoint.
In fact it's probably his best yet. Tim's vocals have never sounded better.
There's definitely a hint of Travelling Wilbury's Handle With Care during the verses.

An acoustic guitar lick, not too far from Stevie Wonder's Superstition, leads into a bright country beat, featuring bluegrass staples, accordion (Van Dyke Parks) and fiddle (John McFee) on Red Dirt Road, that should please Tim's Poco/country music fans.

A gentle hint of calypso, beneath beautiful multilayered harmony vocals from Tim and the Jardine brothers, reminiscent of The Beach Boys or Abbey Road era Beatles, creates a wonderful sound on The Island, instantly transporting the listener to that exotic idyllic paradise that everybody dreams about. Again the track is lifted by a masterful vibes solo from Gary Burton, that adds more magic to the seductive tropical cocktail.

A very repetitive acoustic guitar riff introduces and punctuates Pearl On The String. The attractive melody, lovely vocal harmony snatches and another great lead vocal from Tim makes it one of my current craves. I feel it's a sub three minute song dragged out to five, though.

More harmonica/ acoustic guitar introduces the unimaginatively titled This Waltz. I'm not sure if the Brass Band, accordion and vocal harmonies, combination is a winner but it's definitely affecting. I've come this far so I'm prepared to embrace the aural discord. If Tim plays This Waltz live, with a genuine Brass Band, it'll certainly make an awesome audio/visual spectacle.

I have all of Tim's solo albums, as well as his Eagles, Poco and soundtrack material. There are a handful of tracks that I'll play every now and again. With the release of Leap Of Faith, I think that small selection of choice tracks has just doubled in number.
I'm most attracted to the non country stuff. It's Alright, I Refuse, The Island and What I Should Do are right up there with Tim's best. Most of the others make an enjoyable listen.

This late in Tim's long career, I think he might just have reached new heights. I hope his tour features a generous helping of Leap Of Faith and I look forward to his next album.

NightMistBlue
10-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Thank you, Funk! [and to Luvy for the assist]

Muses aloud: I wonder if "I Refuse" and "You're So Wild" were written about the same person.

UndertheWire
10-28-2016, 06:05 AM
Thank you, Funk! [and to Luvy for the assist]

Muses aloud: I wonder if "I Refuse" and "You're So Wild" were written about the same person.
It doesn't seem that way to me. What they have in common is they are about personal boundaries and Tim's attitude of "live and let live" despite disapproving of the way the other person is handling it. In "I Refuse" the other person is trying to involve him and he's saying "no", whereas in "You're So Wild", he'd like to help but knows his intereference would be unwelcome. He has a closer relationship with the "wild" person.

UndertheWire
10-28-2016, 06:23 AM
My Hat

I hear this as "boor" rather than "poor". Both would work in the context.

Thanks for your review. Nice to see someone take the plunge. I need to live with it longer as I still have trouble matching the song to its title. On a superficial level, I like it and prefer it to Expando.

WKMB55
10-28-2016, 09:30 PM
When I heard "I Refuse" it made me wonder if it might have been about the discord after the Eagles resumed in 1994. Seems like at times there were 2 distinct "sides" and perhaps there were attempts by one side or the other to gain allies or support from the less involved band members.......maybe.

Funk 50
11-02-2016, 06:44 AM
I hear this as "boor" rather than "poor". Both would work in the context.

Thanks for your review. Nice to see someone take the plunge. I need to live with it longer as I still have trouble matching the song to its title. On a superficial level, I like it and prefer it to Expando.

Thanks UndertheWire, I'm pleased that somebody is checking the lyrics. I'd discount "boor", even allowing for poetic licence, as it's a noun.
I visited another, all too rare, CD shop to find Tim's CD but unsurprisingly, they didn't have any TBS CDs. I feel very privileged to have grown up in the age of the music mega-store although the current environment is better for loyal pop music fans.

I'm so glad to see that Tim is intending to tour again. The Explando tour was a delight but Tim's live set list would be enhanced by a generous addition of Leap Of Faith tracks, especially Slow Down, All Those Faces, I Refuse, What I Should Do, You're So Wild and It's Alright. The Island and This Waltz have potential too, if the band can pull them off.

I know Tim's already performed My Hat and Red Dirt Road live but they're too wordy and country for my taste.

Brooke
11-18-2016, 12:57 PM
I finally got the new album downloaded and have been listening to it and I love it! I love Tim's sweet voice, but this album (and Expando) shows he can rock too! Overall a big :thumbsup:

Songs standing out to me so far are:

My Hat
All Those Faces
I Refuse
Red Dirt Road
Pearl on a String

Have to say I'm not overly fond of The Island. It's pretty, but it's just too 60's (and Beach Boys as Funk mentioned) for me and I don't really care for xylophones in my music. (if that's what it is!)

Robin Nixon
12-07-2016, 06:19 AM
All Those Faces popped up on my Spotify discovery feed, and so I searched for the lyrics and found this board. I love the Eagles so I've joined. Thanks for posting the lyrics, I've already worked out the chords and started learning the song, and will probably try a few more off that album - it's really growing on me. Thanks again!

NightMistBlue
12-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Welcome, Robin! I admire your diligence in figuring out the chords on your own. I'm so lazy, I just go over to Ultimate Guitar and print out the tabs. The shame!

Since you have Spotify, may I recommend something? "Something Sad" from Timothy's Tell Me the Truth album. It's devastating!

LuvTim
12-07-2016, 11:47 PM
[\QUOTE]Since you have Spotify, may I recommend something? "Something Sad" from Timothy's Tell Me the Truth album. It's devastating![/QUOTE]

So true.

Robin Nixon
12-08-2016, 04:00 AM
Yeah, I usually go there too, but the song wasn't listed, which is why I ended up here. I've posted the chords there now (currently pending). And thanks for referring me to "Something Sad" - I'm surprised I never followed Timothy as a solo artist before...

sodascouts
12-17-2016, 01:52 AM
Welcome Robin!

02-26-2017, 01:39 PM
I meant to bring this topic up in the Leap of Faith Survivor Game, but kept forgetting, so I thought I would post it here. Although My Hat is one of my favorite tracks on the album, I am very puzzled about why Timothy chose that as the name for this song. There is only one mention of the phrase in the song, and it doesn't seem to fit thematically with the message of the song to me. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Here are the lyrics, courtesy of Funk 50's earlier post in this thread:

My Hat

Well I can't really tell you what was going through my mind
but I try my best never to be rude
If my heart is not open then I start to fall behind
and you'll see one of my off colour moods

Don't know when it might end
maybe I should make my amends

So I buckle up tight
I go up, I go down

Well I wake up each morning, I get ready for my day
and I'm all set to conquer all my fears
but I tend to let all these little things get in my way
it's been happening a lot these past few years
sometimes I think too much then nothing happens way too fast
I might stare out the window but not see
I need to capture the moment cause I know it may not last
it's a matter of letting things just be

sometimes I'm on fire
too much pent up desire

So I buckle up tight
I go up, I go down

It's so much later than I'd like and there's so far to go
tonight is such an endless night
but I can't sleep now it seems I'm on a roll

(acoustic slide inst)

I have moments of greatness when I feel I'm on a quest
there are times when I dangle by a thread
In the sweetness of glory I feel raging tenderness
I prefer it to when I hang my head

such a puzzle to me
seems I've misplaced my key

So I buckle up tight
I go up, I go down

Freypower
02-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Is he describing what's going on in his head underneath the metaphorical hat?

He could have called it Spinning Around - very Kylie Minogue. Or Rollercoaster - perhaps he thought that was too similar to Parachute.

UndertheWire
02-26-2017, 06:48 PM
If you hand someone his hat, you're asking him to leave. In this case, he's admitting that his behaviour was "just this side of poor", so he probably deserved it. Overall, the song seems to be about trying to remain calm and stay true to the values he thinks are important. It's something that comes up in interviews as well as in other songs.

Brooke
02-27-2017, 12:14 PM
Yes, I've wondered the same thing.

Could also have been Buckle Up Tight. Who knows?

Delilah
02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
I think the hat represents the realization he has crossed the line and that he knows he can be moody. He tries to stay in control but "things get in my way." I suppose in that context, the title makes sense. But Brooke's suggestion of "Buckle Up Tight" sounds better to me, and more exciting.

UndertheWire
02-28-2017, 06:31 AM
Maybe "My hat" is family shorthand for "Dad's in a bad mood".

03-01-2017, 12:10 AM
:grin: UTW!

If you hand someone his hat, you're asking him to leave. In this case, he's admitting that his behaviour was "just this side of poor", so he probably deserved it. Overall, the song seems to be about trying to remain calm and stay true to the values he thinks are important. It's something that comes up in interviews as well as in other songs.

And I considered this interpretation as well, UTW, but I still think the title is a leap considering the song's lyrics. If I were going to pick a single phrase from the song that would be the most suitable title, I think I'd go with Make My Amends.

Delilah
03-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Maybe "My hat" is family shorthand for "Dad's in a bad mood".

Lol. Come to think of it, does Timothy even wear hats? I don't think I've ever seen a picture of him wearing one. :hmm:

TW
03-01-2017, 07:46 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Timothy%20B%20Schmit/timothybschmit67-1.jpg

Delilah
03-01-2017, 08:27 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Timothy%20B%20Schmit/timothybschmit67-1.jpg

Thanks, Timothyswife!:thumbsup:

Annoying Twit
03-02-2017, 03:43 AM
That photo has to go over to the caption this thread....

TW
03-02-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks, Timothyswife!:thumbsup:
No problem! Although I don't think he wears them too often, this was the only picture I could find.

NightMistBlue
03-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Way OT: reading this old post/article/blog thingie about Robert Lamm (Chicago), I see that Timothy's collaborative partner Hank Linderman was featured... and the album turned out to be entitled Leap of Faith. Oh dear!
http://www.debbiekruger.com/pr/krugerprofiles/lamm.html