PDA

View Full Version : Pandora.com

tbs fanatic
12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Hubby has just discovered this. It is like your own music radio station. Here is how it works - you pick an artist, say, The Eagles. They find Eagles music for you and then show you other artists of the same type that you might be interested in. You listen and then pick the ones you like. Then you might name - The Rolling Stones and the same thing happens again. After a few ideas from you the station starts getting the drift of your taste in music and starts offering up different choices they think you might like. These all become a musical compilation which you can play - rather like a radio station but playing all your favorites. I haven't played with it yet but hubby is crazy about it.

Has anyone else come across this?

One weird thing - hubby came across an instrumental by The Eagles - 'Pipeline' which is an old, old surfer instrumental. He actually broke down and admitted it was really good. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Perfect Little Sister
12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Interesting. I searched the US copyrights records and found this:

Type of Work: Music
Registration Number / Date: RE0000472096 / 1990-03-06
Renewal registration for: EU0000749495 / 1962-12-10
Title: Pipeline. By Brian Carman & Bob Spickard.
Copyright Claimant: Brian Carman & Bob Spickard (A)

Variant title: Pipeline.
Names: Carman, Brian
Spickard, Bob

I wonder if this is the song you heard.

tbs fanatic
12-14-2007, 03:46 PM
My ancient hubby knew it right away. It was a big hit for The Ventures way back when.

Freypower
12-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Surely this is by the other band called the Eagles who were around in the 60s and played this type of music. I doubt very much that it is by 'our' Eagles.

EasyFeeling
12-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Sounds good and I just went to this site. Sadly they refused the access because I live outside of the U.S. :roll:

Glennsallnighter
12-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Sadly they refused the access because I live outside of the U.S. :roll:

Story of my life EF :( You have my sympathy

glenneaglesfan
12-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Surely this is by the other band called the Eagles who were around in the 60s and played this type of music. I doubt very much that it is by 'our' Eagles.
You are right, Fp. I did a bit of research on Wikipedia and found a link to this site

http://wc02.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3zfexqu5ldae~T1

Finally, in August of 1963, they got out their first LP, Smash Hits From The Eagles, which included their covers of "Pipeline," "Hava Nagila" and "Exodus."

Pandora sounds like a bit like the Yahoo music site - there is an Eagles fan station, and as you rate tracks they are played more often. We in Europe can get this, although I bemoan the lack of Eagles videos. I used to be able to get the US station. which had a better selection.
http://uk.music.yahoo.com/ar-313824---Eagles

tbs fanatic
12-17-2007, 11:59 AM

Oh okay, I didn't know there had been another band with that name. Okay, that makes more sense. I thought at the time - that is weird, why hadn't I heard of that?. Well, hubby will be relieved. Now he doesn't have to admit he likes something The Eagles did :evil: