PDA

View Full Version : Dan Fogelberg

DonFan
12-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Sadly, Dan Folgelberg passed away today from prostate cancer at the very young age of 56. I have been a fan of his for many years without ever realizing he had an Eagles connection. "Longer" is just hauntingly beautiful; "Leader of the Band," written in homage to his father, reminds me of my father as well; and "Same Auld Lang Syne" has a wistful sadness that gets me every time I hear it. Anyway, according to my Google Alert, apparently Dan was one of the very first name acts managed by Irving Azoff. I read this quote from Dan on his website:
------------------------------------------------------

Is it true you were asked to join the Eagles?

No, I was never asked to join the Eagles, I was considered among many others when they were re-organizing the group before the “On The Border” album. Don Henley asked if I would be interested, and after a long discussion I think we both realized that I wouldn’t be the right choice. They were moving in one direction and I was heading in another. Eventually Joe Walsh got the job.

-------------------------------------------------------
Rest in peace, Dan. You will be missed.

Glennsallnighter
12-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Indeed. I just heard the news on the radio a few minutes ago. Then they played 'The same Auld Lang Syne' in his memory, which considering the season is very poignant.
May we extend our sympathies to Dan's family at this time and may Dan Rest in Peace.

glenneaglesfan
12-17-2007, 09:01 AM
That is very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Wasn't he one of Joe's pals who lived in a car with him?

Brooke
12-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Very sad news. I was a fan of Dan's since the 70's, too. I checked his website often, hoping for news and there never was any since the notice in 2004 of his cancer.

My favorite songs of his were Longer, Part of the Plan, Leader of the Band, and Auld Lang Syne. He was a very gifted musician and singer.

We will miss you Dan. :(

tbs fanatic
12-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I read that sad news in our paper this morning. I was surprised how young he was. My brother-in-law has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer so it was a bit unnerving to read that.

Condolences to his family.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-17-2007, 12:08 PM
That is very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Wasn't he one of Joe's pals who lived in a car with him?

I agree - that is very sad news. Dan was a very talented musician. That is cute, GEF, because every time his name was mentioned in the last few years, all I can think of is him moving into the car and crowding out Joe and Irving. :wink: I'd like to think he would have appreciated that.

May he rest in peace.

Glennsallnighter
12-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I read that sad news in our paper this morning. I was surprised how young he was. My brother-in-law has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer so it was a bit unnerving to read that.

Condolences to his family.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother in law tbsf. Remember that cancer treatment is improving all the time. Hopefully your brother in law has been caught in time to make a full recovery. We'll pray for him.

Molly
12-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Sounds like his cancer was quite advanced by the time it was diagnosed, which is just such a shame since prostate Ca is most often a very treatable, curable cancer. So sad.

Prayers to your brother-in-law tbsf. Hope he does well with his treatment.

We had the song "Longer" sung at our wedding, as I suppose many people did back in the day. It was always a favorite of my Mom's, so we included it. That song means a lot to me.

sodascouts
12-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I remember that story about living with Joe and Irving in the car. It might have been an exaggeration, but it still made me laugh picturing it.

tbsf, I'll pray for your BIL as well.

12-17-2007, 10:14 PM
tbsf - I missed your post when I was posting my comment here. I, too, am really sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. I wish him well in his treatments.

EasyFeeling
12-19-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm sorry to read about your brother-in-law, tbs. Getting such sad news just before Christmas is terrible.

I liked Dan Fogelberg's music and I'm sorry he passed away.

Mrs Frey
12-19-2007, 07:00 AM
I'm so sorry to read about Dan's passing. I've only heard one of his songs, "Longer", but it made an impression on me nevertheless. It's very beautiful. He was too young to have passed on, and whenever I hear of someone having succumbed to cancer, it saddens me greatly. My empathy goes out to his family and friends during this extremely painful time.

TBSF, I'm sorry that your brother-in-law has also been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I hope that he responds well to his treatment. May the Lord provide you and your family with the necessary strength to get through this trying time.

Perfect Little Sister
12-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Sadly, routine testing for prostate cancer isn't generally thought about until age 60.

It is so easy to screen for prostate cancer, I urge every man reading this board to have this done. And women, get your men to go in. It requires a simple blood test where the level of "PSA" or prostate specific antigen is measured. If the level is considered high, further testing can be done to find out why.

My father was not yet 60 when his doctor was ordering other tests and added on the PSA screening. It came back high. He had a very aggressive form of cancer which would have killed him inside of 5 years without treatment. He had his prostate removed as well as the nearby lymph nodes. The only place they found any cancer cells was in the tumor itself. Within a few months the cancer was back. He then had radiation therapy followed by hormone therapy (to starve the cancer of testosterone) but they only held out a 15% chance that this would help. He is still cancer free 5 years after he finished radiation. You and yours hang in there TBSF...it can be beat!

Freypower
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
It's good to know that many men surivive cancer (my father, as many of you know, didn't).

Condolences to Dan's family.

Can I also mention that Frank Zappa died of prostate cancer in December 1993, just before his 53rd birthday.

sodascouts
12-20-2007, 01:33 AM
I was just listening to his music tonight online and realizing that I'd heard a lot more of his songs than I thought I had. I didn't recognize the titles "Longer" and "Leader of the Band" until I went to YouTube and listened to them - and realized they were two familiar songs that I'd always found very moving. I think I will ask for a CD for Christmas.

Here's a few photos of him with Joe and Glenn:

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshGEFSoWhat2Folgelberg.jpg

http://www.joewalshonline.com/images/JWalshGEFSoWhat4Fogelberg.jpg

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyHCB03.jpg

There is a site set up for people to leave condolences to his family and their thoughts about him and his music here:

http://www.thelivinglegacy.net/wishes.html

Brooke
12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for those pictures, Soda! Wasn't he good looking?! Like a couple other long-haired, mustached musicians there! :wink:

I have 5 or 6 of his early vinyl albums and played them constantly along with the Eagles, Jackson Browne, and Fleetwood Mac back in the day. He wrote lots of beautiful music and was such a talented man. I think Souvenirs and Home Free are my favorites. I have The Very Best of on cd and it has all the most popular songs.

What a loss at such a young age. My condolences to his family.

thelongrun
12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
I just found out this and, as I just said to some frinds of mine, my heart is a raisin t right now for this great Songwriter, the best of the best in the line of Eagles, Jackson, J.D., J. Taylor... His Music was around in my best years as now and always.

DonFan
01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
This is an online interview I found, from Richard Bowden, Don's longtime friend, who toured with Dan:

Leader of the Band Dies at 56 (INTERVIEW)

Dan Fogelberg, soft rock icon of the 70s and 80s, like so many other stars as Jackson Browne, Don Henley, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Stevie Nicks, Joni Mitchell and John Denver, to name a few, has a musical connection to Linden – and Music City, Texas. With the passing of Dan to the ‘heavenly orchestra’ last month at 56 (and such a huge loss to the music world) we asked his Linden, TX connection, MTM member and president of the Music City Texas Theater, Richard Bowden (who toured with Fogelberg for 2 years in the ‘70s) to share his thoughts and memories about the ‘Leader of the Band’.

Richard said, “Dan was a lot of fun. His music, having the soft, sensitive, romantic depth that it had, might lead one to believe that behind the scenes he might be quiet, introspective, somber or even recluse. Quite the contrary. He liked to party with the rest of us. Understand that this was the heyday of the ‘80s west coast country/rock, so partying was frequent and extensive.” He continued, “I made him laugh a lot, so we became buddies early on…” (Richard has some down-right hilarious stories, which would NOT be suitable for gentle ears, so they have been omitted – sorry! But those of you who know Richard can just use your imagination!) “I didn’t know how popular he was at the beginning, so when I got the job, our first gig was at the Omni, a 10,000 seater in Atlanta (GA)….I was in the dressing room and thought I heard female voices. I cracked the door open…and was deafened by the screams of about 50…groupies who had managed to make it backstage…they had their arms extended through the fencing and were squealing like ‘in a Beatles movie’ just at me looking out of the dressing room! If Dan had appeared in the hallway, they would have probably torn down the partition. I thought to myself, “Wow, I must have gotten a good gig!” It was a GREAT gig…he even let me have “solo” time on stage during his show in which I provided some ‘comedy relief’ with my funny songs.”

More seriously, Richard talked about the prostate cancer that claimed Dan’s life. “What tears me up about Dan’s death is that prostate cancer is one of the most preventable and curable forms when caught early. Every man over 40 should have regular PSA (prostate specific antigens) tests which will signal any impeding problems or risks. I just hate that he somehow let is slip up on him until it was too late to prevent or cure. I will always hold my tenure with Dan as one of the high points in my career as a guitarist. I really hate thinking about the fact that I’ll never get to see him or talk to him again. His music touched me as well as millions of others. I feel privileged to have been on the inside. He was a great friend, and a great guy.”

Brooke
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for that, DF! That was a nice article.

Dan was soooooo gorgeous back then (loved that long hair he had :wink: ) and still quite good looking. Such a senseless loss. :(

glenneaglesfan
02-14-2008, 05:39 AM
Thanks to Freypower's link in the Eagles and Grammies thread, I found this. What a moving gesture.

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=4131

He was a fine looking man. So sad.

Perfect Little Sister
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
More seriously, Richard talked about the prostate cancer that claimed Dan’s life. “What tears me up about Dan’s death is that prostate cancer is one of the most preventable and curable forms when caught early. Every man over 40 should have regular PSA (prostate specific antigens) tests which will signal any impeding problems or risks.”

I cannot repeat these words enough. Many doctors don't test early. Luckily my dad's doctor threw in the PSA test when running some other routine tests when Dad was just 50. His was a very aggressive form of the disease and if it hadn't been caught when it was, he wouldn't be here today. Please, please get this simple blood test and monitor your levels.

Brooke
02-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I nearly forgot. Dan's Soundstage performance is being shown tonight on PBS stations. Ours is showing it at 9 pm central. Check your local listings.

I think it is on for a couple showings.

Perfect Little Sister
02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Brooke!

02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Ditto. :)

Brooke
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Dan still amazes me. What a talented man he was. And with a sense of humor!

I got this in an email today from "the living legacy"::

Dan's Little Joke

Did you know that Dan played all the instruments on the 2003 CD "Full Circle"?
"Wait," you say, "I have that CD and there's a list of musicians".

The musicians:
Roland Laboite - drums, percussion
Donny Trout - bass
Sven Birkebeiner - keyboards
Lee Mealone - congas, percussion

Take a moment, can you figure any of them out on your own?

Answers, below....

Roland Laboite - drums, percussion
*The drum machine (also known as a "drum box", or "beat box") Dan programmed for the CD was made by Roland Corporation.
Laboite is French for "box".

Donny Trout - bass
*Trout. Bass.

Sven Birkebeiner - keyboards
*Skiers call their skis "boards". The Birkebeiner is a Nordic cross country ski race honoring a historic Norwegian event. In 1206, two warrior soldiers, called "Birkebeiners" because of the birch-bark leggings they wore, skied infant Prince Haakon to safety during the Norwegian civil war. Prince Haakon subsequently became King of Norway, and the Birkebeiner soldiers became a Norwegian symbol of courage, perseverance and character in the face of adversity.

Lee Mealone - congas, percussion
* Le' me alone, ay....

*******Too funny!

DonFan
03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
That is amazing, Brooke!

Brooke
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
A final tribute to Dan:

Dan Fogelberg Living Legacy Newsletter‏
Sent: Fri 8/15/08 2:34 AM

August 14, 2008

Hello everyone,

Well, I'm sitting here in Maine on another overcast, cold day. This summer has been an unusually wet one, with widespread power outages, flooding, and dampness-caused damage to hay crops as well as small fruits and vegetables. The last week has been especially rainy, with the exception of yesterday. And that's the day I'm writing to tell you about.

It had been a difficult few weeks for me. Going through hundreds of photos of Dan while laying out the "Love In Time" CD package was taking an emotional toll on me. But when I looked out the window yesterday morning and saw the beginnings of a glorious sunny day, I felt happiness well up inside of me. I thought: "This is the day". I knew that you would all be holding Dan in your hearts, so it would be the perfect day to fulfill a special promise I'd made to him.

Dan had asked me to pick a beautiful day in late summer, go out with our friends Jon and Sherry on their boat "Free Spirit", and scatter his ashes on the Reach. He wanted me to do it just before sunset, at the marker where he would turn at the end of the day to return to the cove, and home.

I had arranged everything tentatively with Jon and Sherry for his birthday, but with the understanding that we would re-schedule if the weather was too bad. No need. The hard rain the day before had scrubbed the air crystal clear, and they were calling for temperatures in the 70's.

We left the dock at 5:00 pm, the four of us: me, Jon and Sherry, and our good friend Jean, and just sailed and drifted around the Reach. They had brought crackers, veggies, fruit, shrimp, and dips, and I brought the champagne. We talked and laughed and reminisced, just as we would have if Dan were there with us physically. There was no moroseness, no awkward silences, no sniffling, and they had packed napkins and glasses for 5, so he was included.

I was wearing Dan's favorite blue sweater and the first necklace he'd ever given me, and had my hair in a braid (he loved my long blonde hair, especially in a braid). Jon and Sherry and Jean each had on one of Dan's sailing vests, and we all had our "Quest" pins on. I had my arm around the antique brown widemouth jar holding Dan's ashes sitting next to me. Dan and I had saved Buckaroo's ashes (the amazing Maine Coon cat, "Remington Buckaroo Boone", often credited on Dan's albums) all these years, and these too were in the jar, and the night before I had cut 5 inches off of my hair and snipped it into tiny strands and put them in the jar as well. The wind was perfect for drifting about aimlessly. But at 6:15 we started the engine and headed for the marker: a green "can" that marks the edge of a ledge. Amazingly, at this point we had the Reach to ourselves... not another boat in sight.

Jon cut the engine and let the sails take us quietly the rest of the way. We toasted Dan with champagne, and at 6:25 we brought up the boombox and put "The Reach" on and I carried the jar forward to the bow of the boat. We were heading directly toward the sun, which was brilliant white gold reflecting on the water. A Cormorant sat on the green can watching us. There was a gentle northerly breeze, and as I took Dan's ashes, a handful at a time, and slowly let them sift through my fingers, they swirled and danced away from me, sparkling in the sun before landing on the water and drifting with the tide, out into the Reach. I could hear Jon, Sherry and Jean crying out in astonishment as (they would later tell me) they watched Dan's ashes swirling and glowing with the sun shining through them.

I knew that at that very moment, as we were playing "The Reach" and honoring Dan here on the east coast, out on the west coast of California our friends Charlie and Suzie were playing "The Reach" as well, and ringing the original bell used in that recording. And around the world, people were honoring Dan in their own way, and playing their own favorite songs. It was a powerful moment.

We came alongside the marker and Jon gently rounded it and steered us toward the cove, and Reach Haven. As I let the last of Dan's ashes leave my fingers I was so filled with gratitude, wonder, and amazement that, like his passing, a moment that would always be a painful memory for me would also have so many elements of beauty and magic.

"The Reach" ended, and I came back to the stern of the boat, where my three shipmates were wiping their eyes with napkins. We all hugged and then sat for a moment of silence, mentally holding hands with everyone else who was sharing this special moment with us. I threw the flowers Dan's family had sent off the back of the boat one at at time, where they followed his ashes, and we each took a lavender rose picked from Jean's garden, said our last farewells, and tossed them into the Reach.

We turned "Free Spirit" around and headed back across the Reach to her mooring, our hearts filled with emotion, and everyone recounting the incredible beauty of what we'd just experienced. As we neared the mooring, we sang "Happy Birthday" to Dan. The sun had dropped behind a bank of clouds on the horizon, lining them in red and gold.

Dan was so many things: passionate sailor, incredible musician, loving husband, true friend, and a wonderful and unique human being. It was the end of a truly perfect day for honoring him and I hope you feel you were a part of it.

Sincerely,
Jean Fogelberg

danfogelberg.com
thelivinglegacy.net
myspace.com/danfogelberglivinglegacy

There's also a beautiful picture of the sailboats that Jean posted along with the letter.

Glennsallnighter
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
What a wonderful review Brooke, and a testament to Dan. His family can be truly proud of him. What a pity he had to go so young.

glenneaglesfan
08-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh Brooke, that is truly a very moving tribute. Thanks for posting it. What a beautiful way to say goodbye. I had tears when I read that.

And what a sense of humour he had in his list of musicians!

DonFan
08-23-2008, 01:19 PM
That was a beautiful tribute. You could tell Dan and Jean had an amazing relationship together. I know she misses him terribly, but she also sounds like she is finally acquiring a little bit of peace about his tragic loss. And thankfully for her and for his legions of fans, he will always live on through his music.

sodascouts
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree - beautiful.

Topkat
12-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Really sad to hear this news. Article here mentions Joe & Irving
RIP Dan, great singer & songwriter!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm

prayfordaylight
12-18-2013, 09:10 AM
He passed 6 years ago.

EagleLady
12-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Yeah you're 6 years too late.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-18-2013, 09:23 AM
may that great man rest in peace.
he was a terrific musician

deb828
12-18-2013, 09:50 AM
may that great man rest in peace.
he was a terrific musicianThat he was..

Brooke
12-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Yup, miss him a lot. Loved his music.

Topkat
12-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Well. my bad, how did that turn up in the news?????.I'm so out of it. I have to stop drinking at the office! LOL

Tiffanny Twisted
12-20-2013, 11:58 AM
I was blessed to have seen him a few times in my younger days.
I saw him acoustically at the academy of music in Philly..just a man and his guitar.
I have the most beautiful pics of him I sat on the floor all the way up front and nobody bothered me with taking pictures. Ha thoses were the days. :headbang:
the man and his music so saved me during a difficult time in my life.:guitar:
I also saw him at the tower theater when neatherlands came out.
I loved and still love that album.
May his soul and all the souls of the faithful de parted rest in peace.

Topkat
12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
TT, Sounds like he had a real impact on you. I'm going to have to check out his music some more! Any recommendations on his albums?

Brooke
12-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh wow, I don't know if I could pick a favorite. I had his first nine albums and loved them all. Maybe his early greatest hits one would be a good place to start.

I remember a few years ago I was snooping around Peoria (his hometown) while hubby was at work trying to find his school and I stopped at a gift shop to ask about it. The clerk didn't even know who he was! I was shocked! I got lost and never did find it. Now they have a tribute concert for him every August. (Since his death :ziplip: )

Tiffanny Twisted
12-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Ellen
"Souvineers" was produced by joe walsh and dh gf and rm are on it too (there's a place in the world for a gambler you can hear them sing clearly) the whole lp is great

"Neatherlands "was my fave lp. I think I went thru three copies
Once upon a time
Love gone by
Promises made
They all come to mind

On" twin sons of different mothers"
Tell me to my face was my all time fave

He just impacted my life in a big way st a time that was difficult for me

Maybe you can you tube him

Topkat
12-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into it. Maybe get some stuff on Amazon or Itunes!! 8-)

Tiffanny Twisted
12-21-2013, 04:39 PM
send me a pm and let me know what you think.

DJ
02-24-2014, 11:01 PM
Souvenir's was a fantastic album, I had to listen to it the other day and you can here Randy,Don and Glenn on it fairly clear.
Dan Fogelberg was a huge part of my teen life. His songs were so meaningful and well written, they spoke to me in many dark and lonely times. He was a great artist and is sorely missed. RIP Daniel Grayling Fogelberg. :weep:

Tiffanny Twisted
02-27-2014, 12:26 AM
Dj I feel the same about that man and his music
He was jusy wonderful

I think lol I went though three copies of netherlands worethose suckers out.

Great man man he rest in peacr

Suze
03-02-2014, 04:44 AM
I saw Dan when he was the support act for the Eagles on the UK leg of the Hotel California tour. Was he also the support for much of the US leg?

sodascouts
03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure, but in the documentary, I thought I saw him with a groupie in some of the 3E footage which was filmed in America.

Grego
03-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Anyone see him when he did an all acoustic tour? I can't remember what year that was but he performed without a back up band. Just a piano and guitar. I remember him telling the audience that he wanted everyone to see how a song was born before he sorted it out with a band/ orchestra etc,

Tiffanny Twisted
03-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Wow I saw him like that at the academy of music in philky a long long time ago.
Back then I ess you g and skinny and they did not bother me when I sat in the isle and took pictures

Not sure of the date but knw it was before netherlands cae out csuse that I saw at the tower theater In upper darby pa

What a great musician

rick endres
03-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I still get angry and sad every time I think of how he died.He was one of the good guys who made my kind of music, and he's gone too soon.

I had my prostate removed two years ago - not because it was cancerous, but because I was feeling sick because my kidneys were almost shut down due to benign prostate enlargement. They catheterized me and got 2 1/2 liters of fluid out of me in only twenty minutes. The used a minimally invasive HOLEP laser procedure on me (not to gross anybody out but they went in with a laser drill through the front - through ...well, you know). I went home the next day.

So you guys over 50 - see a urologist regulrly. You'll have to bend over and play army, but it beats the alternative...

Brooklyn Roads
03-06-2014, 02:39 AM
I still get angry and sad every time I think of how he died.He was one of the good guys who made my kind of music, and he's gone too soon.

I had my prostate removed two years ago - not because it was cancerous, but because I was feeling sick because my kidneys were almost shut down due to benign prostate enlargement. They catheterized me and got 2 1/2 liters of fluid out of me in only twenty minutes. The used a minimally invasive HOLEP laser procedure on me (not to gross anybody out but they went in with a laser drill through the front - through ...well, you know). I went home the next day.

So you guys over 50 - see a urologist regulrly. You'll have to bend over and play army, but it beats the alternative...

I applaud you for being proactive! It really does help get these things before they get worse!

It is very sad Dan Fogelberg lost his battle to prostate cancer. He will be missed. I loved many of his songs.

Brooke
03-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes, it only makes sense to take care of yourself! Wellness exams every year are essential.