PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Halloween movies

Delilah
10-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Halloween is in two weeks so my horror movie binge watching begins...here is my list of must-see films (original version unless otherwise noted):

1. The Shining
2. The Thing (1982 but the 1951 version is good, too)
3. Night of the Living Dead
4. The Haunting
5. Halloween
6. Psycho
7. The Ring
8. Poltergeist
9. The Omen
10. Alien/Carrie (tie)

Brooke
10-17-2016, 09:49 AM
I'm not much of a horror movie watcher, I get scared! But, for Halloween, I do like to watch The Shining. Love that Jack Nicholson! Crazy man!

I noticed that the original Frankenstein movies were on dish last night. I think they were from the '30's. Didn't watch!

buffyfan145
10-17-2016, 10:28 AM
I usually don't like gory horror movies but I love the original Universal Monster Movies (Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, The Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Phantom of the Opera, The Invisible Man, etc.) and we've got the whole collection now on DVD. My Dad and I have since I was little watched them and other horror/Halloween movies every Halloween. My Mom and brother don't care for it so it's been our thing. :)

Besides "Halloween" and "The Others", I normally prefer to watch other Halloween related films like the "Dark Shadows" 70s movies (with the TV show's cast), "Frankenweenie" (the original short film), "Hocus Pocus", "Casper", "The Adams Family", "Gremlins", "Halloweentown", and the original "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" film.

ETA: Forgot to include "Young Frankenstein".

Witchy Woman
10-17-2016, 08:47 PM
It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
An American Werewolf In London
Young Frankenstein
The Nightmare Before Christmas
A Nightmare On Elm Street
The Shining
Carrie
The Exorcist
Friday The 13th
Hocus Pocus
The Monster Squad

Plus many more that aren't coming to mind.

DJ
10-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus and all the Hellraiser movies! Wooooohaaaaaaa!

shunlvswx
10-25-2016, 09:25 PM
The Worst Witch-It used to come on every year when I was a kid.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

A Nightmare ON Elm Street

Halloween

Hellraiser

AlreadyGone95
10-26-2016, 09:45 AM
The Universal horror classics: Dracula, The Wolf Man, Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, White Zombie and many more. (I just bought the several of these on a combo DVD set.)

Hocus Pocus
The Byrds
Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island
The original black and white TV series of The Addams Family and The Munsters.

Brooke
10-26-2016, 10:07 AM
The original black and white TV series of The Addams Family and The Munsters.

I'd love to see these too!

Also, the original Dark Shadows.

NightMistBlue
10-26-2016, 11:12 AM
The Nightmare Before Christmas used to be my holiday tradition, but I've since moved on. I still love "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," some things you don't outgrow.

Reading this thread has reminded me of films I've enjoyed so much and semi-forgot about, like Practical Magic with the goddess-like Nicole Kidman and the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm surprised that Kristy Swanson didn't have more of a career, she's so pretty and has good comedic timing.

NightMistBlue
10-27-2016, 11:08 AM
The Byrds

AG, you're a rock chick through and through. I believe you were referring to the Hitchcock film The Birds.

AlreadyGone95
10-27-2016, 11:13 AM
AG, you're a rock chick through and through. I believe you were referring to the Hitchcock film The Birds.

:oops: lol. Yup, that's the one.

My History professor did a whole lecture on Halloween this morning. He referenced several horror films, like Halloween, Night of the Living Dead etc, plus the classics. I really enjoyed his class.

NightMistBlue
10-27-2016, 11:22 AM
Night of the Living Dead makes me very nervous, but I will watch it because it's so well done. Shaun of the Dead is also a good one, as is 28 Days Later. We mustn't slight the British zombies.

I think the zombie film/tv shows scare me because my mind immediately starts to plot how I can get away if I was in that scenario. Maybe horror films with different subject matter don't "involve" me or draw me in as much, for whatever reason.

LuvTim
10-27-2016, 10:53 PM

AG, LOL...

NMB, yep, good eye. I didn't catch that!

NightMistBlue
10-28-2016, 09:17 AM
So Luvy, what scary movies do you like to curl up with? How about "Children of the Corn"?

LuvTim
10-28-2016, 01:38 PM
So Luvy, what scary movies do you like to curl up with? How about "Children of the Corn"?

I like The Rocky Horror Picture Show. :-D Campy stuff like that suits me better than the seriously gorey, bloody stuff. Yuck.
My husband likes Stephen King. Long ago, I read The Shining, saw the movie, that was enough for me. So, no, I haven't seen Children Of The Corn. Lol...:-D Even though I'm in Kansas. Yeah, I get it. Lol...

buffyfan145
10-28-2016, 04:18 PM
I finally watched "Firestarter" today and really liked it!!! :D I had been meaning to watch it since I know it partly inspired "Stranger Things", which I loved on Netflix, and I can see why as it is somewhat similar with the Eleven character and Drew Barrymore's Charlie and Charlie's father and how they can control things with their minds (Charlie's being able to start fires too). I also loved the father/daughter story with it and I tend to like Stephen King's stories that have more of an emotional side to it and more sci-fi instead of horror. Other King films/shows I've loved are "Stand by Me", "11/22/63", "Under the Dome", "The Green Mile", and now "Firestarter". I am looking forward to finally reading his "Mr. Mercedes" series especially since it's more of the crime drama/detective genre.

Delilah
10-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Reading this thread has reminded me of films I've enjoyed so much and semi-forgot about, like Practical Magic with the goddess-like Nicole Kidman and the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm surprised that Kristy Swanson didn't have more of a career, she's so pretty and has good comedic timing.

I like the original Buffy movie too. Charlie Sheen was not complimentary about Kristy Swanson's intelligence, though (they were co-stars in The Chase). That may explain why she didn't make it big. I think she tried to make something of a comeback with that celebrity ice skating competition but her affair with her skating partner probably put a dent in that.

Buffyfan, I have yet to watch Firestarter from beginning to end even though it's been around for awhile now. And I love most of the movies based on Stephen King's books.

LuvTim
10-28-2016, 07:08 PM
AG, I really love your new vid avatar. Awww...Xxoo.

buffyfan145
10-28-2016, 09:34 PM
I liked Kristy Swanson too and she was a good Buffy. But I watched the show first so Sarah Michelle Gellar is Buffy to me (and my username inspiration). :) But Joss Whedon made both so the movie is still a prequel to the show and the show has so many more characters and storylines. Kristy does still seem to be guest staring in some TV shows more than films, but not probably what could have been.

Delilah
10-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Halloween is in two weeks so my horror movie binge watching begins...here is my list of must-see films (original version unless otherwise noted):

1. The Shining
4. The Haunting
5. Halloween
6. Psycho
7. The Ring
8. Poltergeist
9. The Omen
10. Alien/Carrie (tie)

I saw “The Others” again recently—great direction and acting, especially by the two children. I love the twist at the end. I’ll have to swap it out with “Psycho” or “The Ring” on my list. “The Others” just seems more Halloween-y. :fear::-D

My My
10-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Love your list, Delilah! I would add Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and "It". I haven't seen the movie "It" yet, only the miniseries that I have recorded.

NightMistBlue
10-18-2017, 04:35 PM
I saw “The Others” again recently—great direction and acting, especially by the two children. I love the twist at the end. I’ll have to swap it out with “Psycho” or “The Ring” on my list. “The Others” just seems more Halloween-y. :fear::-D

I initially misread your post and thought you were referring to "The Other," a 1972 film about creepy twins. I loved that film as a kid, and the book too.

But yes! The Nicole Kidman film, that was great.

New Kid In Town
10-18-2017, 04:50 PM

1. The Shining
4. The Haunting
5. Halloween
6. Psycho
7. The Ring
8. Poltergeist
9. The Omen
10. Alien/Carrie (tie)

Great list Delilah. I have to say The Omen was probably the scariest movie I ever saw. I remember being scared by NOTLD too. I also would add Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I never saw The Haunting and The Ring. Gotta love the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Delilah
10-18-2017, 05:41 PM
I initially misread your post and thought you were referring to "The Other," a 1972 film about creepy twins. I loved that film as a kid, and the book too.

But yes! The Nicole Kidman film, that was great.

Oh yes, I remember “The Other”—that one creeped me out as a kid. I read the book as well as another by Thomas Tryon, “Harvest Home.” It was really good and was also made into a TV movie, with Bette Davis playing the sinister matriarch of a strange town with strange rituals.

Love your list, Delilah! I would add Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist, and "It". I haven't seen the movie "It" yet, only the miniseries that I have recorded.

Great list Delilah. I have to say The Omen was probably the scariest movie I ever saw. I remember being scared by NOTLD too. I also would add Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I never saw The Haunting and The Ring. Gotta love the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Thank you both. I agree about Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist too. Only so many to list! I saw “It” with my daughter a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was much better than the mini-series, although the timeline was different.

AlreadyGone95
10-19-2017, 08:01 AM
I had to read Rosemary's Baby for my college's book club in the spring. As someone who has been pregnant and given birthed, the book creeped me the hell out. I'm not sure if I could stomach watching the movie.

Brooke
10-19-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm not big on scary movies and don't watch them, usually. I mustered up the courage a few years ago to watch The Shining on Halloween and have tried to watch it every year since.

I might have to try The Omen. Back in the 80's sometime on Halloween, I was working late one night in my neighboring small town. I stopped for gas before going home and while pumping it my nephew jumped out from behind my car with a "Jason" mask on (is that The Omen?) and carrying a stick and nearly scared me to death! I'll never forget that! :lol:

Delilah
10-19-2017, 11:19 AM
I had to read Rosemary's Baby for my college's book club in the spring. As someone who has been pregnant and given birthed, the book creeped me the hell out. I'm not sure if I could stomach watching the movie.

I haven’t read the book but I imagine it’s pretty graphic compared to the movie. A lot of it is left to the imagination in the film. I would say it’s more suspense than horror, except for the ending. But yeah, I probably wouldn’t be too keen on watching it if I were expecting at the time.

NightMistBlue
10-19-2017, 11:25 AM
The "It" miniseries that ya'll are referring to: are we talking about the old miniseries with Tim Curry as the evil clown? That rocked. It was a bit cheesy in the non-Tim parts, but well worth it for the epic performance by Mr. Curry.

Another autumn-flavored favorite for me is Johnny Depp in "Sleepy Hollow." Beautiful to look at, very atmospheric.

My My
10-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Yes, NMB, that was the mini series I was referring to. Curry did do a great job in that. I preferred the beginning part with the kids and Pennywise to the later parts when they were adults!

My My
10-19-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm not big on scary movies and don't watch them, usually. I mustered up the courage a few years ago to watch The Shining on Halloween and have tried to watch it every year since.

I might have to try The Omen. Back in the 80's sometime on Halloween, I was working late one night in my neighboring small town. I stopped for gas before going home and while pumping it my nephew jumped out from behind my car with a "Jason" mask on (is that The Omen?) and carrying a stick and nearly scared me to death! I'll never forget that! :lol:

The Omen is a 1976 movie starring Gregory Peck. It is about he and his wife discovering that their son Damian is the antichrist. Very creepy and more along the lines of The Exorcist.

Jason is the character from the Friday the 13th series of movies. He wears the mask.

Brooke
10-19-2017, 04:54 PM
The Omen is a 1976 movie starring Gregory Peck. It is about he and his wife discovering that their son Damian is the antichrist. Very creepy and more along the lines of The Exorcist.

Jason is the character from the Friday the 13th series of movies. He wears the mask.

Ah ha! Thank you My My! :lol:

My My
10-19-2017, 05:22 PM
You're welcome Brooke. I highly recommend The Omen. Very creepy...

Delilah
10-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Another autumn-flavored favorite for me is Johnny Depp in "Sleepy Hollow." Beautiful to look at, very atmospheric.

I’m watching it right now. This has become one of my favorites as well. Great cast and adaptation of the original story. I remember watching the animated “Legend of Sleepy Hollow” when I was a child and really liking it.

sodascouts
10-22-2017, 12:57 AM
Poltergeist has always been my favorite. Not gory (I don't like horror), but very scary.

The Disco Strangler
12-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Horror movies scares me! But I will watch the rare slasher fic. So I'll go with Scream. That was pretty good. I also liked 30 Days of Night.